Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

167891012»

Comments

• shibumishibumi Member Posts: 2
    Would like michelins and looked at PILOT MXM4 and MXV4 and even considering ALPIN PA3 snow tires (Chicago area).

Mixed reviews on these tires although the reviews cover a variety of car makes.

Whats the best bet fro the MB E300 TD??
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    for a chicago winter? blizzaks! the michelin alpin would also be good.
  • bdhplayerbdhplayer Member Posts: 14
    Just hit 102,000 miles and running fine. Most of the miles that I put on are highway miles.

Curious, how much does it cost on the Bluetec diesels to refill the urea.

Also, how do you reset the maintenance counter. After tiring of $400 to 600 oil changes with the service A B and whatever, I have the dealer do the oil changes and have other work done elsewhere.
  • willowwaywillowway Member Posts: 4
    Please, somebody must know how to reset the maintenance counter. [see #567]. Please let us in on the secret!
  • dhkhandhkhan Member Posts: 30
    The reset instructions are supposed to be in the owner's manual, but supposedly hard to follow . Following is from a post on the mbworld.org forum. Hope it applies to your car:

"I have a UK 2003 E320 CDi and the system which worked for me to access the service data is a method which supposedly applies to 2005 models, so I suspect that certain software versions/updates etc. are quite variable so...

Try this: -

• Switch ignition to position one.
    • Select Outside temperature display.
    • Press the trip odometer reset knob three times in quick succession - the voltage reading should appear (or "Keep the trip odometer reset button pressed for approx 5 seconds until the Service Menu appears in the display").
    • press the down arrow - the Service Menu appears in the display.
    • Using the + and - buttons, select Confirmation of Service
    • Press the system selection button ( lower of page buttons at 6 O'clock position) to confirm.
    • Press again to confirm.
    • Service Confirmed appears in Multifunction Display
    • Press the same button to get to the standard display
    • Turn ignition off. The next time you turn it on, the reminder should not appear.

You can search in mbworld forums for other models/model years if this does not work. The maintenance counter reset is known as the "FSS" reset.

Another search suggestion is:

Go to Google and type:
    site:mbworld.org FSS reset

Good luck.
    Thanks

I'll try it after my next oil change.
  • vinay1610vinay1610 Member Posts: 1
    Any advice? I am going to NOT do the Service A & B at dealers since they are too expensive. I can get outside garages to change oil and filter.
  • mercedes123mercedes123 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1995 mb 300e diesel. The wheel doesn't lock and the glow plug light doesn't come on until after the motor starts. Then sometimes it stays on a while and sometimes it goes out after a while. Big problem though is that it sometimes fails to turn over and start. It's not the battery. I put a new battery in it and that still didn't fix the problem (even had the new battery checked out just to be sure) and that wasn't it. I drove it today and it did fine on a couple of cranks and then it just refused. Later I tried again and it cranked. love this old car and I just want to be able to drive it without worry it not cranking. Thanks to anyone who can help me solve this problem.
  • jpk5jpk5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure, but your condition may be a bad glow plug.
  • sperrinesperrine Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my 1st MB. A 2008 with 33,000 miles. during braking it feels as if the brakes are pulsating and the car does not stop as smoothly as I would expect. If I shift into neutral before braking, the car stops very smoothly, which leads me to believe this is a tranny issue. Is this a characteristic of the transmission downshifting and the higher compression diesel engines, making it feel as a grabby brake problem? never had a diesel car before, but never noticed the issue in diesel trucks when I drove them. Car upshifts very smooth, can hardly feel the gear changes
  • ppattersonppatterson Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone know if the MY 2007-2009 requires the use of the AdBlue Urea Solution as part of the emission control system. If so, what is the cost of replenishment from the MB Dealer? Is it available from other retail businesses, and will the sensor in the car recognize it as the legitimate fluid? Thanks.
  • mbdickmbdick Member Posts: 7
    Can't speak to 2009, but 2008 was called Blutec and did not use urea.
  • us1fedvetus1fedvet Member Posts: 2
    Our '07 has 42K trouble free miles. Average of about 32.6 mpg overall since purchased. High of 37.3 on trip of 410 miles from VA to NW PA with cruise set at 74 mph. Change the Mobil 1 ESP every 7500 miles - cannot bring myself to go 10K plus, and am using oil analysis as my backup. Also, the 40K air filter change is ridiculous - I changed them myself and am amazed the car could even breathe with the amount of debris, leaves, etc. caught in them. Will go to what I've done for years and change at two years or 25K. Also disagree with the 40K trans fluid change and nothing thereafter. We'll go to a 30K flush schedule from here on. Cheap insurance.

Best car we've ever owned.
  • us1fedvetus1fedvet Member Posts: 2
    Our '07 does not require the urea. Wonderful. I just wish they'd continued to call it a "CDI" and not confused the issue. The V-6 will get to double the double nickle quite rapidly and without strain. A real thorobred.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Good to hear. Keep us posted as I am looking for a used ML or GL with the pre blutec CDI.
    You will have to look afar. There were no ML or GL pre blutec CDIs available in North America.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Auto trader has 56 ML320 CDIs listed for sale. And a dozen GL320 CDIs all pre Bluetec.

ML320 CDI for sale
    I stand corrected. I was misinformed! Thank you.
  • danstdidanstdi Member Posts: 10
    I just picked up a 2008 E320 Bluetec 3 weeks ago with only 38,000 km (24,000 miles). Love the car - had a Jetta TDI for 10 years and always wanted to get the E320 diesel - now my son has the Jetta.

I too have noticed a somewhat abrupt downshift just prior to stopping - but only when the engine is cold - once the engine warms up this does not happen. Will bring it up at my next stop at dealer to see if this is a problem.
  • auaqauaq Member Posts: 12
    Hello there!

I just recently test drove the e300 turbo with 193,000 mi on it and it drives beautifully. The car is for sale at about $7900. Every switches and buttons works fine. I am a bit concerned about the blower which doesn't blow fast on the centre console but does on the outer sides. I do think the a/c needs a bit more of charging. Rest all is fine. Would like to know your opinion.

Thanks

(Note: This is my first time on edmunds)
    Just purchased a used 2007 E320 Bluetec. Has around 44500 miles and so far the mileage is terrible in comparison to my 2005 E320 CDI.

I believe that one of the reasons might be that the car has 19" wheels. According to my local tire guy, the heavier tires cuts down on the mileage. Is there a reason that the 2007 would be worse than the 2005?

Also, driving from Primm, NV to the Las Vegas strip, the 2005 was in the low 40's going the speed limit.

Driving the 2007 from the strip to Primm, NV the mileage was around 28 mph doing the limit. I'm spoiled with the mileage I get on the 2005.

Any comments would be helpful.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited July 2011
    playa, you and the tire guy are right.
    if you swap in smaller/16" or 17" factory benz rims and low-rolling-resistance tires similar to factory michelin MXV-"energy" tires, you may see a significant increase in mpg and smoother ride too. also what tire pressure? you can probably bump up the pressure by a couple psi from the cushy factory-recommended setting.
    another possible factor is that 05 benz diesel has a significantly different engine and fuel requirements than the 07 benz. I will bet you a DM that by now there are gurus who know how to "tune" the 07 engine to get the increased mpg that it is probably capable of. Forget about dealer service if you go in that direction however...
    I took the car in and there were a few minor things including resetting the codes for the transmission.

Went ahead and swapped out the 19" tires on the 2007 to the 2005 since my son won't be putting many miles on the car.

Looks like the2007 V-6 and emission requirements are a drag on the 2007 mileage.
  • darwinptfdarwinptf Member Posts: 1
    I have found an E320 2005 CDI sedan at a Certified Preowned dealer for 20k with 51k miles. Does this seem like a good purchase?
    I have not been searching for prices on E320 CDIs but, for what it is worth, I can tell you that we have an E320 CDI that we bought new. We would not sell it for 20k.
  • richardnvarichardnva Member Posts: 91
    Has anyone compared the new 2012 E class engines? I'm curious to hear about the performance of the diesel against the new gas engine. Thank
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    The 2012 blutec hasn't changed....so it's performance hasn't changed.
  • vikz001vikz001 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for my next car and have been researching into the MB E-class diesels for the past few weeks. Overall I think the car has a great presence and very good feedback on performance and fit/finish. I am close to making my purchase. I have an offer for $48K for a 2011 new car equipped with the premium 2 package? Should I take it?
    Also can someone advise on how much it costs to replace the urea fluid periodically? Can this be done at home without going to the dealer?

thanks a bunch all.
    edited October 2011
    that's a great price for a $58K car. I leased my e bluetec, my first diesel, in August and I love the car.

BlueTec fluid can easily be filled by you for about 1/3 the price of having a Mercedes dealer do the job. You only have to refill the tank every 10K miles or so and you can buy the fluid almost anywhere these days...or just go to a VW dealer to buy it if that's easier or you feel more comfortable.

If it will help your decision, mercedes leasing gives a residual value of about 76% after two years. That's 76% of the MSRP. That's what they think the car will be worth in 24 months. If they're right, you'll drive that car for 24 months for $3000 depreciation. Consider leasing by the way....ask about a 24 month lease on that car and you may be shocked at how little it costs.
  • vikz001vikz001 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks ghstudio. Are there instructions available online on how the bluetec fluid can be refilled? Also have you purchased the MB prepaid maintenance? Is it worth it?
    yes, I purchased mercedes prepaid maintenance for my 24K lease...not sure what the MSRP was but they allowed me to residualize it, so I only pay 23% of the MSRP. I think it may have cost me $200 for the A and B maintenance. It's not at all clear if you really can residualize maintenance...some dealers seem to allow it, others don't....I have no idea what Mercedes finance says and apparently they don't care which was dealers go on this because there have been reports of people who have residualized maintenance and others where the dealer says it's not allowed.

Take your best shot :)
  • richardnvarichardnva Member Posts: 91
    Thanks. Let me restate the question then: Has anyone compared the new 2012 gas engine to the Bluetec?
  • henryb1henryb1 Member Posts: 7
    i thought i saw in past post about selling an e-class mb diesel. any ideas on how i might sell an original owner 2006 e-class cdi with 18,000 original miles, garage kept-no snow, salt or ice, show room condition. not sure what asking price should start at. any thoughts or perhaps there is no damand. just not sure.

thanks, henry
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    You might want to post details over in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. There are some people in the auto biz who hang out there and might know what the demand is like in your neck of the woods (not to mention a good asking price).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gidmangidman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 E320 CDI with 81,000 miles. The front end is significantly lower than the rear. Front wheels are almost touching the wheel well. Car cannot be driven as a result. Anybody experienced this before? I don't see any error message on display board. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
  • hussellhussell Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a 06 CDI. How much do you want for it and where are you? I am in Nevada. Thank you.
  • henryb1henryb1 Member Posts: 7
    hussell: just sold 2006 e320 cdi----asked 30,000 and got it. had 19,000 miles-no salt, snow. garaged kept whole time and show room condition. new owner got great deal. thanks for inquiry.
    henry
  • eric312eric312 Member Posts: 71
    Does anyone know if there is any special maintenance required for E350 BLUETEC as opposed to regular E350? Are there any disadvantages to leasing E350 Bluetec as opposed to regular E350?

How much does extra maintenance costs and how often it has to be done?
    The "bluetec" fluid tank needs to be refilled every 10,000 miles....this costs $99 at Mercedes and far less if you do it yourself (very very easy). There are different filters....but if you lease, buy the mercedes maintenance as part of the lease and you will both save money and not have to worry about any maintenance costs.
  • eric312eric312 Member Posts: 71
    I drive about 7000/year and plan on getting a lease with 7500/year so will have the car for about 15,000 miles. Do you still think its worth buying the maintenance plan?

Is the "bluetec" fluid only additional maintenance on bluetec vs regular E350?
  • cewlcidcewlcid Member Posts: 6
    Hi there, I am new to this forum and I would like to find out if there are any incentives when purchasing an e350 with european delivery other than the 7% off MSRP and no destination charge.
    The mercedes lease is a little unique in that they seem to require that you do all the things in the A and B services. You will only need to prepay the A (10,000) mile service which will be inexpensive....I think the only extra is bluetec fluid...I think the cost of filters is included.

The maintenance plan on the diesel might cost more than the gas car because of the filter cost. Lot's of mights, but my dealer was very confused so I just paid the gas maintenance and they residualized it so I only paid about $250 for the A and B service.....a great deal.
  • gidmangidman Member Posts: 2
    Hi cewlcid,

We did the european delivery in 2005. It was one of the best vacation ever. You will be treated very well by the MB staff. Touring the MB factory and museum were outstanding. Driving your new MB in the autobahn at speeds over 100 mph is priceless! I would definitely do it again for these experiences. Please check MB european delivery program in regards to 2 for 1 plane fare. Sometimes they offer it. You also get a free night at one of the hotels. No other freebies is included.

Enjoy!
  • gkleimangkleiman Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same issue with my 2005 e320 CDI. Happened infrequently over the past few years but now is almost daily.

Did anyone ever figure out what this is? Any update or link to a more recent post would be appreciated.