Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    I'm confused. What 2nd price hike are you talking about? I think perhaps you are comparing cars with extra option packages to the base model prices posted on the Hyundai site. For example, the option package on the LX is $1400. Destination charge is $600. Add those two together and you have exactly $2000. So while the LX on the Hyundai website is $23,000, that is the base LX and no destination charge. Add those two in and you have a $25,000 MSRP, which is what is reflected on the FitzMall site. Apples and oranges.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    And then, naturally, you have to compared the loaded Sonata LX with the Accord EX V6 (which lacks stability control), at a sticker of $27K.

And then you have a 2k SAVINGS.

~alpha
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    After doing some comparison's the Sonata isn't all that cheap when you look at the features and the price of other vehicles. When comparing it to cars within the same class the sonata seems like a bargain. But you have to take into perspective that Hyundai is not offering rebates or special financing. You can get a Ford 500 with the rebates or special financing and end up paying the same amount that you would for a Sonata. I like the new sonata but it's hard to pass up a bargain with more amenities plus a 5 star crash rating for about the same price when you factor in the size and price of the two cars.
  • thndrstmthndrstm Member Posts: 47
    After lots of negotiating between 3 dealers over 2 months, we finally bit the bullet today. 18,791 out the door for 4 cyl GLS. From what I heard today is "the end of the month" for local dealers. I got 2 of them in a bidding war over the phone(we were outside one of them about to go in, when the other came in lower with the car we preferred).
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Sounds like a Ford salesman is on this board.......

Yea, calling the 500 a bargain...I am not sure about that. You forgot to mention the motor which is - at best underpowered......and the interior that is nothing special.
  • kc206kc206 Member Posts: 32
    I doubt you'll get the same amenities and safety features for the same price! The 500 reviews are only so-so. The engine is underpowered and the transmission clunks. I've had my LX for a month now and the handling, smooth shifting tranny,steering, braking, cornering, acceleration and viewing traffic with the rear and side mirrors is excellent. My only concern is that I don't believe believe the car will reach the rated 20/30 mpg. So far I'm only averaging around 22 mpg combined. My local driving is much easier than "city". I'll wait until I have a few thousand miles on it and take a long highway trip before final mpg evaluation.
  • duckiedduckied Member Posts: 52
    Haha, besides that the 500 is not attractive. I own a 2000 Ford Taurus and 2005 Hyundai Elantra, and will never switch back to Ford again (will be buying a Tucson later this year!).

For example (Ford):
    5 year/60,000 mile warranty
    -transmission blew on Taurus at 61,000 and had to pay a couple thousand for it
    (wouldn't happen with a Hyundai! (10 year/10,000 mile)
    -several "Check Engine" light appearances - $80 diagnosis at dealership per visit
    (no, it was not the gas cap!)
    -"Airbag" light switches on to this day (why do i want to pay to get if fixed?)
    -headlight switch falls off (was recalled, still broken)
    -power seat broken
    -steering wheel vinyl peeling
    -broken A/C vent switch

These are the problems I have encountered that I have just thought of now. I know this has nothing to do with the 2006 Sonata discussion, but I want to prove how all of these problems would have been fixed under warranty by Hyundai.

Thanks!
  • boltmanboltman Member Posts: 85
    Does anyone know how it is to change the oil in the new Sonata. I think it uses a cartridge oil filter. I'm one to do my own oil changes because I like to use Mobil1 and let the motor drain for a long time. Can you get the oil filter anywhere or just from the dealership?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    My advice is, don't ask others about what options, colors etc. we recommend. It's your new car (and seems like it will be your car for many years), so you need to sit down and decide what is important to you in a car. Make a list, and prioritize the items on the list as "must haves" (you won't buy a car without it) or "like to have" (could live w/o it but would really like to have it). For example, a must-have might be side air bags and curtains. A like-to-have might be a power sunroof or a CD changer. Also figure out your price range. Then go online e.g. Edmunds.com and review all the cars you might consider, and see which stack up best on your list. Assuming the Sonata is still in the running after this analysis, take it and any others you are still considering for a long test drive--you and anyone else who will drive the car on a regular basis. Rank those cars on how well you like the driving dynamics. From that you should be able to pick a favorite, or preferably more than one you would like to buy (better to have more than one for negotiating purposes, so you don't fall in love with one car). Look at cars on the lot and brochures to see which color(s) you like best. Take your time. You will live with this car for many years, and you won't buy another one very soon so enjoy the experience.
  • chevymalibuchevymalibu Member Posts: 129
    huh?? what do you mean cartrige filter?? like in the old days where you take off the filter and a cartridge comes out and you put a new one in and replace the filter cartridge "holder" back on the engine?? I am shocked that it would be that way??? I'd think it would be a normal spin on oil filter like all other cars. I looked at it on the 4 cyl I believe and it looked like a blue spin on type. I searched around and you can't get any sonata in aftermarket yet for 2006. The 2005's are in autozone and the like and it was 3 bucks or so. Normal type for 2005 model. Please tell me you aren't right. I wouldn't want the car if it's a cartridge filter. What I like to do is buy a car like the accords or camrys (or any car that has the same engine for your purchase and the year before) and buy the oil filter for the year before. Dealer accord 2004 filter (when I got it last year) was $7. The same (if not better) puralator, wix, etc.... filters were $3 bucks at autozone or adv auto for the 2003 model which uses the same engine. Now before buying I'll have to go to the parts shop and see one and make sure it's a normal spin on.
    I'm considering a 2006 sonata gl/gls vs. camry. Have a 1994 camry (had two) that I'm wanting to dump with 201K (still rides great though). Anyway, down to sonata and camry. Wife has new loaded accord. She says everyone has a camry and accord and that's boring. I read the sonata problems for 2005 model and earlier. They scare the hell out of me. Transmission issues at 5K??? burnt trans fluid?? Some major issues with hyundai sonata prior model. Will the new ones have similar issues??? I'm really scared. Who cares if you have a 100K warranty if you're in the shop all the time. Guess it's too early to hear of issues with the new ones. I think I'll wait and see since they aren't offering rebates or low interest yet. Not trying to offend any sonata owners. Just trying to make my mind up. Hard to toss 20K into a possible large yellow fruit. JMHO
  • dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    anyone called Hyundai directly from the # on their website and asked them when the navi will be available on the sonata???

I'm so desperate to either get one from Hyundai... or at least get the bracket to put my own in (the faceplate on the current US stereo is larger than the normal double din, so we would need a new dash frame there)
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    Not a ford man at all.. Never even owned a ford.. but when you look at the options and cost you really can't say that Hyundai is currently a good deal. Not to knock Hyundai I worked at a dealer for 4 years and currenlty own two Elantras'. However, Ford offers 5 star ratings and the underpingings of a volvo a different set-up from before but they are still holding on to the weak engine.

Now the two cars you are comparing are like comparing apples to oranges, 2000 Ford Taurus to a 2005 Hyundai. Those 5 years make a big difference in quality. That's like comparing my 94 Hyundai to my 99 Ram to the 02 Solara.

As for the Check Engine light. Autozone would have checked it for free.

But in all, I love the New Sonata have test driven two V6's and a four banger. The six is sweet and handles great. As for the interior the reviewers are comparing this car to cars costing much more. I think that Hyundai has done it's research but I will wait a few months to see how the car holds up. I live in the South with average 90+ daily weather with avg 95+ heat index with high humidity. That will definitely tell you if a car will last for a long time with in a few months because of the daily AC use in traffic.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I suspect that with disposal problems increasing cartridge filters like the new GM four cylinder engines-- as well as internal changes like Champion Labs Ecore design--- will become much more common. I've never changed a GM filter but I thought they were easier to get at and change.

I also thought the last gen. Sonata had improved to above average for repair frequency.

I do agree that the new Sonata without discounts is far from the good deal it was in the past. The new Fusion looks like it will offer just as much for lower $$$, and the going rate for the Malibu (an excellent, sophisticated car with some styling quirks) is considerably less. I doubt whether Hyundai will be able to hold these prices. Early buyers will be kicking themselves when they read Edmunds in about six months.
    Hard to toss 20K into a possible large yellow fruit.

Isn't that an inherent risk of buying any car? There was also evidence that the previous generation Sonata had decent, or even above average quality. I'm not making a comment on what it actually is/was, just pointing out that it wasn't all doom and gloom. If you read through the problems/solutions thread, the only people posting there are the ones that DID have a problem. It's not necessarily representative of the whole population of those cars.

Transmission issues or transmission issue . . . so there was a Sonata with a transmission that broke at 5,000 miles, however I think it's unfair to extrapolate that to be a "major issue" with the previous generation Sonata because I'd hazard a guess the vast majority of transmissions did not fail at 5,000 miles.

I bought an Elantra a year ago and I read some anecdotal evidence on the Edmunds boards of problems with the model, which of course made me slightly nervous. But in it's first year, the car has been almost flawless . . . certainly no major issues. I think I would have had slight apprehension over any car purchase I could have made a year ago.

Hyundai cars have been significantly improving with each redesign in recent years, I personally expect the new Sonata to follow that trend.
  • boltmanboltman Member Posts: 85
    From another forum...FYI
    This guy seems to say cartridge style

We got 4 2006 Sonatas in today, and man these will totally change the way people look at Hyundai! The seats are the most comfrotable seats in any Hyundai, and are definitly on par with Toyota and Honda. The layout of the interior is great, with the radio up nice and high, and all the trim and switches look nicer too. Underhood, everything looks very clean, the oil filter is a cartridge style and is under the engine cover. Since it has a timing chain in place of a belt, that costly 60k service should be cheaper, and the spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles. This is one impressive car, I should be able to snag a set of keys tomarrow and test drive one
    I agree. I suggest if someone is scared by the problems they see on the Sontata Problems discussion, they also go look at the discussions for competing cars: Accord, Camry, Passat, etc. The picture there isn't any better. At least with the Sonata you know that if you do have a problem, it's covered for five years/60k miles (that's 2 years/24k miles more than most competitors), and 10/100k for the powertrain. And you can upgrade the full warranty to 10/100k for about $1000, if you want additional peace of mind (and extra resale value because it's transferrable). If you're looking for the perfect car, the Sonata isn't it and it hasn't been invented yet. A Lexus is really reliable, but when it does break watch out, the repair costs are big.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I just checked with my parts department, and the oil filter on the 06 Sonata is indeed a cartridge filter. I'm personally not sure why that makes a difference, but it is true.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Does anybody know how the 06 Sonatas are selling? I think that I have seen one in Northern Virginia...

As for previous comments on Ford 500, I think 205HP is not that bad for a family car. All the reviews that I have read on the 500 state that the car actually has pretty good pickup because of the CVT transmission. Personally, I think it is a pretty decent car for the price (rebates, financing, etc), but too boring for me.

One of these days I am going to make it down to the Hyundai dealer to drive an 06 Sonata LX, but there is no way I am ready to give up my 02 Altima SE yet. Not one problem so far, and I have yet to drive a sedan (minus a BMW and an Audi) which matches the quickness and fun factor of this car...
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    if the cost is exactly the same as 2005, and the procedure to change it is just as easy as a spin on for do-it-yourselfers. If there is a significant difference in either case, then this difference would be important.
    I think that I have seen one in Northern Virginia...

I have not seen one yet. :( I live there too. My wife saw one last week though, I'm jealous! :)

That's more or less how I judge my personal style tastes. I'll note that certain car models seem to stand out for me repeatedly (in both positive and negative ways). It's one thing to look at a picture of a car by itself or see it sitting in a showrrom, but if it catches my eye among 10s of other models all in the same driving scene, then that means something to me. Hopefully I'll get to find out what I think of the Sonata's styling soon! :)
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    At Capitol Hyundai, my least favorite dealership in Columbia, SC; they're not. Maybe it's because of the $499.00 interior & exterior paint/fabric protection package, the $399.00 mudguard package and the $1999.00 "market adjustment" they add to every car. Even the sales staff can't come up with a believable explanation for it.

I've sen a lot of packs by dealers; but $2897. on a $20 to 25K car???

I'm waiting to see tha Azera; & will buy the Azera or Sonata later this year; but it won't be from a dealer who believes I'm dumb enough to think the car is worth $2900. over sticker.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    The low 600's score will buy you a new car or new house. Too, you should be aware of a law passed in Dec. 04 that says your credit score can't be changed because of an inquiry for the purchase of a car or home.
  • jfgoingjfgoing Member Posts: 13
    And another reason to lose the Fords (Fusion and 500) is that neither of them have stability control. With a recent Insurance Institute for Highway Safety study showing that stability control cuts fatal single vehicle crashes in half, I don't see why anyone would even consider a new car that doesn't have it.

I mean who's ever heard of a new technology with that sort of effect? Did airbags do that? (Anyone know?) That fact that ABS didn't have any measurable effect and SC has such a huge one ought to make it front page news in my book.

What Ford is thinking is anybody's guess. (Apparently they *really* don't like stability control for some reason. Mazada 6's don't have it, either - I'd guess that was some sort of Ford thing, too.) (Can you tell I'm slightly peeved by what I'm guessing is an "American's is too dumb for this technology" attitude? :-) ">link title
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    The credit score of 720+ is considered a prime borrower and will usually get the best rates around. If you are in the low 600, than you would be expected to pay higher interest rates and will probably not qualify for some of the super low apr and lease deals that are being offered right now.
  • choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    Take a look at some of these photos i found of this car. And no this is not an audi a6. Gorgeous car, by far the best looking midsize car in its class.

v6
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/2006-Hyundai-Sonata-code12-cid111.htm

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/2006-Hyundai-Sonata-code12-cid99.htm

4 banger
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/428481
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    in the link above. Who can look at those pictures and not agree that Camcords are severely out-classed by the 2006 Hyundai Sonata? Easy call.

As for the "Market Adjustment" hype-on, I'd refuse to pay that if I were shopping my Hyundai-Kia-Scion dealer for a new rig. I know that Scion doesn't add those "Market Adjustment" stickers to their cars at all. If somebody does get a lower price on their Scion the dealership is required (under contract from Toyota) to post that price and sell that model for that lower price to anyone and everyone that wants that same model. Those "Adjustments" are a ripoff and I'd flat-out refuse to let them be added to my vehicle's purchase price.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• nj518nj518 Member Posts: 1
    Like so many others on this board I am impressed and interested in the 2006 Sonata LX, my only problem is the 17" tires. They cost twice as much to replace, don't last nearly as long as 16"ers, and I can't imagine they would be too good in snow. Yes 16s are available on a GLS but at the loss of several options and I don't much care for the wheels. Any thoughts.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Oh my, there's another South Carolinian in here!!!!

But I have to agree with you on the price hiking..its outrageous up here in the Upstate area...tacking on $499 paint protection, etc. etc.

But that's no different from what the Honda/Toyota dealers do around here.

The ONE thing I can say I like about my buying experience with Nissan is the fact that most of the "accessories" items are added at the port...

For example, my car has splash guards from the port...they were $120., if I had wanted to buy them seperate, they would have wanted around $250 for them.

That's crazy...

But regardless, the Sonata is turning out to be a truly competitve car for the Big Asian 3...which leads me to believe that after college, I'll be giving Hyundai a serious look...
  • fccfcc Member Posts: 11
    Don't be scared about Hyundai's quality these days. The 1980s have long gone by and it is a new day and age for Hyundai. If in doubt, check out the recent very impressive quality survey success stories that Hyundai has chalked with reputable guys like Consumer Reports and J.D. Power and associates.

If this helps to allay your fears, my 2000 Sonata GLS V6 is still marching on strong! What's more, I still have my 10 year powertrain warranty and I'm looking forward to stepping up to the new LX soon. I have no inhibitions whatsoever about quality.
    so you really think that the car uses a cartridge oil filter?? I'll have to ask the parts department. I've never heard of new cars doing this. I'm trying to remember if my chevy malibu (1966) had a cartridge filter???

Please tell me that isn't so.
    I was telling my wife the same comments you made during dinner tonight. Hyundai has sold ca. 100K of the sonatas over each of the last 3 years and the ones with the problems were writing on edmunds.com. It is pretty scary that a trans had to be replaced at 5K and the trans fluid on others was burnt at 20K or so. I know my wife's best friend got a santa fe and it lurched. They adjusted the trans via a computer adjustment and she said it hasn't come back. ???? The other think I told her was I change my oil at 2.0 to 2.5K on my new cars (for the first several years) then go to 3K but never longer. I also change the trans fluid often (at least every 30K), sometimes sooner. So, I do take care of my cars and don't abuse them. Went to my dealer here in SC today and they got two new lx's and one gl. Total of 8 on the lot. One sold so far that I can tell. I went to the toyo dealer and all the camry's were light or dark gray, black or white. they had one blue/green and one tan of the 30 or so camry's. They're also putting that 700 wax/highway pickup/sealant [non-permissible content removed] on the cars. I really like the sonata but want it at most 200 to 300 above invoice and at a good interest rate (they're not offering less than 5% now I think). Also want to compare a GL to a GLS but haven't seen an GLS anywhere. Need to check out the winston salem lot soon where I work. Thanks for your positive and constructive comments.
    okay now, a cartridge filter. So I guess you spin off the blue filter housing (the underside has a cutout for your hand to fit in) and then what, drop out a filter like a TP roll and insert in a new one???? I guess autozone or advance auto will sell them in the future???? I basically like the spin on type and can't think of one advantage to go with a cartridge filter (short of disposal issues????). Anyone else?? I"m going to ask on car talk about this one and see what they say. thanks
    that's before taxes, tag, fees etc.......... In SC that adds 650 to the car (300 max tax in our state which is nice).

Has anyone seen a GLS on the damn lot?? I can't to save my life.
    I wrote "OUT THE DOOR". Actually it was cheaper as the also put in a full tank of gas($30), and will give 4 free oil changes and lifetime state inspections.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    nj518 wrote:
    Like so many others on this board I am impressed and interested in the 2006 Sonata LX, my only problem is the 17" tires. They cost twice as much to replace, don't last nearly as long as 16"ers, and I can't imagine they would be too good in snow. Yes 16s are available on a GLS but at the loss of several options and I don't much care for the wheels. Any thoughts.

Maybe Hyundai will give people the option of "downgrading" to 16" tires on the LX. I think Toyota does that with the Camry SE.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Within the next few years there will be nothing but cartridge filters...

http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/00-2.pdf

"This change from a spin-on filter to the new cartridge filter offers several
    advantages. The first and most obvious is filter disposal. The disposal cost of a
    cartridge filter is far less than that of a spin-on filter. This is also an attempt by the
    individual OE manufacturers to establish standardized oil filter cartridge sizes,
    thereby eliminating the number of different part numbers required to service a
    particular brand of vehicle. The new cartridge filter housing will also be located
    on the top or side of the engine compartment making them accessible from
    above without the need to raise the vehicle.

Today's cartridge style filter housings are designed with a screw on type cap and
    a single housing sealing gasket. The housings are also self draining enabling the
    filter housing to be drained back into the engine prior to the filter change-out.
    After the housing is drained the housing top is then unscrewed and the used filter
    cartridge and housing sealing gasket removed without any unnecessary oil
    leakage. The new filter is then installed in the housing or fitted to the housing

There is also a variation to the complete cartridge replacement. The same style
    of housing is used but instead of replacing the complete cartridge only the used
    pleated paper media pack and sealing gasket are replaced. The media pack end
    caps as we know them today would be reusable and only the paper pack itself
    would be replaced.

The cartridge style filter is back and will be the oil filter configuration of the future."
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    There is a Hyundai dealer in Burlington, NJ that advertises "Double Rebates" and then in the very bottom "fine print" it says "plus additional dealer add-ons", $1875.00). It is unbelievable what dealers will do to get you into their showrooms!!!
    The Mazda3 is another relatively new model that has a cartridge-type filter.

Re the GLS... take the GL, and on the outside add alloys, a chrome trim strip running along the bottom of the side windows (ala Camry), and fog lamps. Not much difference there. In the interior, the main differences are the seat fabric (GLS has a nubby fabric, the GL a smoother fabric with little zig-zag accents) and the trim on the dash and center console. The GL has faux aluminum that IMO looks better than the faux metal on the GLS. But the GLS' beige interior has faux wood, if you like that sort of thing. There are some other feature differences that you can look up on the hyundaiusa.com website. Drive-wise, they should drive the same in 4-cylinder automatic guise, if both have the standard 16" wheels, so if that's the powertrain you are looking for you can drive the GL to get an idea of how the GLS drives. But if you don't like the manual seat adjusters on the GL, note that the GLS has an optional power seat available.

These dealer markups on the new Sonata are a real joke. No wonder those dealers haven't sold many. Do they think this is 1985 and there aren't any number of good alternatives to the Sonata, available at big discounts?
  • carepicarepi Member Posts: 5
    any ratings guys?
    and does anybody from jersey knows for how much the LX is selling? and has anybody from jersey purchased any yet!, will love to "hear" your comments!, any recommendations? advice maybe? thanks!
    I'm looking for the lx with package 3.
    I posted the price I paid, any others?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The place where you want to follow up on this is our Hyundai Sonata: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. :)
    I have tried, There has been very little discussion there on the 2006 model.
  • denp44denp44 Member Posts: 46
    I took delivery of my new Sonata LX this week.
    The tires on it have a 10 rating for winter traction.
    Look at this web site for the tires.
    http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinPilotMXM4.html
    That sounds like a great deal. Was it a stick or an automatic? Did you trade anything?
    Auto, We never trade in cars. We drive them until we have to drop them off at Salvation Army for the tax writeoff.
    Then it looks like your out the door price is about invoice. That is incredible on any car without rebates. Sounds like a motivated seller. Or a desperate seller. It all depends on how you look at it.
  • kc206kc206 Member Posts: 32
    Got my LX for $1000 under MRSP with no dealer add-ons from Lester Glenn of Toms River,NJ. Stay away from Sport Hyundai, they wanted MRSP+add-ons +$500 advertizing: that was a month ago, inventory may have changed things. Call or Email dealers within a 30 mile radius to see if they will deal down from the MRSP
    thanks. I found that same article after I posted on car talk.com. I just went to auto zone and the cartridge for the volvo S60 (30K car), was 11.99. I almost fainted. Geez, guess if you can pay 30K, you can afford a 12 buck filter every 3K. Based on that article and the others posting about the masda 3 and american cars, that's the way it's going. If you change your own oil, the spin ons are awesome. That crap about disposal costs???? gee, let's see. I toss the spin on in the garbage or toss the cartridge in the garbage. Which is cheaper??? stupid govt and EPA regulation BS. Give me a break. What sucks is you have to pay for oil disposal (2 cents per qt) when you buy it. I don't even recycle mine. I know it's irresponsible but I once had to pay a few bucks to dispose of a gallon of used oil. Never again. I know the chains take the oil but I rarely do that.
  • buzzard767buzzard767 Member Posts: 14
    Like so many others on this board I am impressed and interested in the 2006 Sonata LX, my only problem is the 17" tires. They cost twice as much to replace, don't last nearly as long as 16"ers, and I can't imagine they would be too good in snow.

I have an LX on order. My dealer is offering free tires for life if I get the car serviced at their shop.