Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• dan42dan42 Posts: 32
    It looks like your right about the pearl white fading out. The website says limited availability on the pearl white color. They changed it to Arctic White.
  • zen2zen2 Posts: 226
    Concerning the mirror, have you checked it to see if
    it was loose. I have had my Sonata for 2 weeks, just
    noticed that the passenger side mirror was loose,
    causing a gap. I am taking it in Monday to have it tightened. Should be an easy fix, would do it myself if I
    could figure out how to get the "quadrant cover" off.
    Only problem I have noticed so far.
  • To all Sonata fans,

I read these posts all the time. I'm actually looking at buying a 2006 Sonata LX later this spring before I begin my 3rd year rotations for medical school. This will be my first new car . Anyway, I was curious what kind of APR you are all getting when you finance. I understand price haggling... Can you haggle the APR as well?? I know things will be different come spring, but I was just researching current statistics to see what I am up against. Thanks for your time. :D

docjosh
  • johnap2johnap2 Posts: 105
    Generally the APR is set by the company and is dependent upon your credit rating (score) and is not subject to haggling. Hyundai Finance Company has a higher rate than most online lenders, so it is well worth it to shop around. Examples of online lenders include: www.eloan.com, www.capitaloneautofinance.com, and www.lendingtree.com. Rates can change often so it is a good idea to compare all your sources just prior to buying.

By financing through Hyundai Finance Company, at the higher than average rate, they will usually give you a $1,000.00 rebate off the price of your new car. However, depending on how long you carry this loan the higher APR may outweigh the rebate in the long run. If you are going to be able to pay your loan off early than this option would probably be your best bet. If you are going to carry a 5-year loan the entire term you would probably be better off going with an outside, lower APR auto loan.

Before you haggle the price of your new LX be sure to research it completely on sites such as: www.edmunds.com, www.carbuyingtips.com, www.consumerreports.org, and www.carsdirect.com. There is so much information available to help you save money it will be worth your time investment. The goal is to find TRUE dealer cost (NOT invoice as many people think) and haggle upwards from this figure. Many people think that invoice price is a great deal, but often times it is not because of manufacturer-to-dealer holdbacks and other manufacturer-to-dealer incentives. The only way to be truly informed is to research right before your purchase since many of these things change on a regular basis. The goal is to get your LX at a FAIR and REASONABLE price. You should know exactly what the dealer is making off you!

Hope this information helps you!
  • Looks cool!!
    Click here!! :surprise:
  • johnjjjohnjj Posts: 81
    I just financed with Hyundai yesterday. My interest rate was 8.9% (OUCH), and they said I had the highest credit rating. I financed to get the $1000 rebate, but I'll be paying this loan off quickly and refinance with someone else.
    John
  • It seems that many Sonata buyers finance the car in order to get the $1000 rebate and then pay the car off immediately. If that is the case, then the interest rate doesn't matter much. At 8.9% the interest paid in the first payment on a loan (term from 12 to 60 months) would be approx. $74. Even as high as 12% it would be $100. So if you intend to pay it off after one payment, you would still be ahead $900 or more. Sounds good to me.
  • Amount of interest for first payment depends on loan amount. If you finance $10,000 the interest is aprox $75. If you finance more the interest goes up proportionately
    Yes, the interest rates are pretty ridiculous.
    I checked my fico score before I went to finance,
    and it was almost 800, and I got the rate of 7.49.
    I just got my first payment coupon, so I am going
    to take it to my credit union Monday, and refinance
    at 4.99. SInce I put very little down, this should be
    a significant decrease in the payment amount.
  • brjbrj Posts: 7
    Hi; first post here but been following this and other (mostly Sonata) threads for weeks, esp this thread, which I have been enjoying. FYI my posts are longer but less-frequent than most members. So if your time is short, please read just the first part (my question is in bold), or skip the message completely, rather than reading it all and then flaming me for the time you spent, thank you. :)

I won't waste any time and will get to my question. Background will follow.

Considering Hyundai has developed a brand new V6 engine, why did Hyundai not include Cyllinder Deactivation Technology (CDS), or what DaimlerChrysler calls Multiple Deplacement System (MDS) in the V6? I know the DM and (Chevy or GM) engines which feature it are pushrod engines, but the hybrid Accord V6 has it.

Being able to take the engine down to 4 or even 3 cyllinders while highway cruising would be a boon to this model (and Sonata sales I think). It is not often that a brand new engine comes around. It is much more rare even than brand new models or total redesigns. At Chrysler they are still using pushrod engines based upon models decades old. So a modern newly-designed engine should feature obvious technology, in my opinion. And I just can't figure out why Hyundai didn't add here!

CDS/MDS does not add much to the cost of the engine (maybe about $50 in the case of the big GM/Hemi engines, IIRC?); any cost is quickly made up in fuel savings. And with $3/gal gas (which I expect to go to $5 within awhile), this is a very important issue... especially since many Sonata V6 owners have been disappointed by their real-world fuel economy.

I have seen Hyundai's commitment to real-time product improvement (apparently not waiting to "get around to it" for next year's model to make an improvement or add features like some mfr's [suggestion: 6-spd auto...]), so this is a feature Hyundai could conceivably add to the engine, like DaimlerChrysler added MDS to the Hemi intended for the Magnum after it had already been released for pickups with no MDS. But it seems that it'd be easier to do it on an engine natively designed for MDS. So anyone want to take guesses on the chances Hyundai and/or other mfr's will upgrade?

Hyundai, if you're lurking (and you should be), if you put this feature in (and you should), something GM missed when they implemented their design was a lack of user control. Their MDS is conservative and kicks off easily and at faster cruising speeds is also off. I think CDS/MDS engines should come with an "Economy/Normal [or Sport]" switch which "Economy" switch would keep cyllinders deactivated under higher load, i.e. faster cruising speeds, even up to 80, if it saves gas. The car might come from the factory defaulting to "Economy" if it gives better EPA & emissions ratings. Owners would be able to permanently set the feature to default to "Sport"/"Normal" setting. DaimlerChrysler tried very hard to make their MDS transparent, but some users wanted a more obvious setting where MDS stayed active to noticeable levels, esp on long trips, so they could cruise at more normal (higher) speeds and still get good fuel economy. I think the fuel savings on their MDS Hemi have been disappointing not because of any ineffectiveness of MDS itself, but because it switches off so/too easily.

Thanks

---------------------------------------------
    My background for those interested... (those uninterested please skip):
    Considering Sonata mutually for a friend and perhaps later for myself. We are also going to look at Altima, Accord, and possibly Camry for her (not for me but I'm still curious). We already test-drove a 3.5L Magnum SXT and decided against it (believe it or not, its back seats were more comfortable than the front seats!).

First experience was a friend's (1992?) Excel Hatchback. Even as an almost-new car, I thought it sucked. We won't go over that. No point now. You know.

So... I was very anti-Hyundai all through the nineties and kept my bias into the 2000's... until I drove on a 4,000 mile round trip (of which I drove the majority) in a friend's used '00 or '01 Accent... until which time, I bashed her car regularly ("You paid 8 thousand for that?!"). Yes, I was a Hyundai hater. I wanted to hate the car, but during the trip the car earned my respect. It was the best manual climate control system I'd ever seen or used--so simple and worked so well; I couldn't get over it--nearly no need for auto climate. Seats (still shaking my head on this one) still didn't kill me even by the end of the trip; was fine at the end, despite the seats being small and fairly low. Cruised well and uneventfully. She had never had any problems with the car. That was when I started to open my mind to Hyundais.

The next experience a few years later was in an '03 or '04 Sonata LX... a friend's gradma bought one, and I had the chance to spend some time in it during a 2-car road trip. I was far more impressed with this one than the Accent. My friend is a car enthusiast and independently wealthy and both of us were impressed at the comfort and quietness and smoothness of ride... cruising at 80 it felt like it could go to 100 with no drama at all... almost felt boring being in the car at 80. Perception of speed was very low, which to me is an indication of high quality. She said she got it for $21,000, and we were very impressed... both "for the money" and "in its own right". I felt, unbelievably at the time, that if Hyundai made it safer, and raised the seats, and made it a bit bigger that I could... (???!!!) maybe someday possibly buy one of these???!!! Add to this that they're now being made in the USA, and seem to be even more of an "American car" than a Dodge Magnum, and I'm really interested. (Too bad about the new U.S. plant not being able to do Pearl White because they only have 2 paint stages vs Korea's 3? --so much for "Ultra-Modern" plant? Or is this a "ramping up" deal?)

I then realized the great strides Hyundai was taking and started to watch the brand carefully. And then they released the '06 Sonata... and now I'm here. ;)

For the record... my friend I'm shopping with currently owns a '92 Honda Civic DX ("D"on't got e"X"tras). That car is a disaster. Talk about bad 1st-year redesigns. The Sonata re-design is smooth as silk compared to that Honda POC. I could post the full list somewhere if someone's interested, but some brief highlights were a blown head gasket and tranny work needed before 100k miles, things literally falling off the car and breaking left and right, and simply insufferable seats... not to mention the car pulls to the right--until it gets to highway speeds--whereupon it tracks perfectly straight (can't figure out that one).
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Good question. Perhaps there is more to adding this technology to a V6 than you think. Consider that the only V6s to have it right now are the 3.5L i-VTEC engines used in the Accord Hybrid (a $30k car) and the up-level Odyssey (also about $30k). i-VTEC is Honda's most advanced passenger car engine technology. Hyundai started using CVVT technology on their passenger cars only a couple of years ago, first on the Elantra, now on other models like the Sonata. Honda has been doing CVVT for years. Thus Hyundai's engine technology is generally behind that of Honda's. Also, Honda's VCM (trademark) technology involves some trickery in cancelling noise created by turning off a bank of cylinders--they call it Active Noise Cancellation. If it were easy/inexpensive to add VCM to a V6, I would expect that Honda would have added it to all their V6s, and that other companies with advanced engine technology, e.g. Toyota and BMW, would have added it as well. I wonder also if Honda has patented their VCM technology, since we haven't yet seen something similar on other makes.

So while Hyundai has made great strides in engine technology in the past few years, e.g. with the new I4 and V6 in the Sonata being competitive with those from Toyota and Honda in power, perhaps it is too big a leap for Hyundai to offer something like Honda's VCM right now. But in the future... who knows?
  • johnjjjohnjj Posts: 81
    bri,
    The botom line is MPG. The Sonata's peppy V6 gives 20 & 30 mpg. What competitor MDS or CDS engine gives better mpg with equal pep without having to spend thousands of dollars more for cost?
    John
  • This cylinder deactivation is not a new technology.
    GM's first use of Displacement on Demand was in 1981 on the Cadillac V8-6-4 engine. GM's engine controller, based on engine load, signalled electro-mechanical actuators to engage or disengage rocker arms to permit or prevent engine valve operation, thereby deactivating cylinders. The system was capable of operation with 4, 6, or 8 cylinders
    As I recall, that experiment died a quick death.
  • jeffcjeffc Posts: 16
    I just got a 06 Sonata GLS V-6 and also have heard and felt that faint click in the gas pedal when you first start out.

I also filled up the fuel tank and am now hearing that sloshing, perculating (sp?) sound when I brake and start up again.Don't remember it doing it during the test drive, it started after I filled the tank up.

Love the car though, I had an 01 GLS up until 2 yrs ago and traded on SUV ( now long gone).

Any other issues to watch for? Have the dealers been discussing these 2 noises at all and is there a fix?
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    That Caddy V-8,6,4 was a total disaster and was quickly yanked from the market. It's a long time ago, but I think GM even replaced some of those engines with conventional engines.
  • Hey guys, I'm not touting the 1981 Cadillac on demand engine. My point was that this concept was around 25 years ago. Secondly, who is to say that these newer on demand engines will not be a bust? To me it is just another complication that can go wrong on a car and for what...3 more mpg?
  • brjbrj Posts: 7
    > GM's first use of Displacement on Demand
    > was in 1981 on the Cadillac V8-6-4 engine.

I didn't know that was ever actually implemented at all--wow. I do remember reading a Popular Mechanics article on GM's (specifically Calliac's) further endeavors on this line later in the 80s--that was the first time I heard of it. Cadillac even tried piggybacking a small engine (like a small 4-cylinder) onto a larger one. The large one would kick on and off as-needed like the hybrids today, and the car would cruise with the 4-cylinder. Obviously that one was never tried.

But I think it's important to be careful not to bash a technology simply because it was released years or even decades ago as a failed version by an American auto company at the low point of its competence. (Not that anyone was bashing the technology itself--it's just easy to to fall into that trap.) Look at what that thinking did to the progress of diesel engines in our country, thanks to Plymouth and closed minds who needed no more information. I personally would rather have a diesel and have the option to burn vegetable oil (and may still do that). Although CDT was implemented irresponsibly in 1981 just like diesel was before that, it showed that the technology was there, and technology has improved.

Well I do think I remember reading a statement from one of the DaimlerChrysler VP's that the MDS added about $50 to the cost of the production of the engine, but I can't find that statement now. So well-heard about the level of technology and cost, but considering the Magnum RT goes for under 30K and is a lot "more car" in terms of mechanics, it seems to be more of a savoir-faire/engineering know-how issue than actual production cost. Regarding BMW and others not all doing it (yet), it isn't every day that brand new engines are designed from the ground up, so I just figured that as long as you're doing that, why not include CDT. It's probably in the future, I realize there are constrainst like deadlines and getting a new car to market. At least Hyundai apparently isn't afraid to add new features admidstream.

And I meant Cylinder Deactivation Technology (CDT) by the way, not Cylinder Deactivation System. (And I spelled cylinder with 2 L's, not one!) It was late. :blush:
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "As I recall, that experiment died a quick death."

This technology is nolonger an experiment. It is now available in the new Malibu. Computers and engine controls have come a LONG WAY since the 70's.
    That's pretty neat! Does it do a 6-3 thing or 6-4-2? I'm surprised Chevy doesn't mention this feature on the Malibu web site--it's pretty rare in the class. But if Chevy can do it with the Malibu, maybe it won't be long before Hyundai follows.
    I checked the Malibu site and saw a 4 cyl and two 6 cyls, but no mention of a 6-3 or 6-4-2. Is Chevy's web site up to date? Or is this something brand new that just hasn't received publicity yet?
    Fix for the sloshing: Put you golf clubs in the trunk,
    and turn your radio up. I have never heard it again
    after my test drive.

I've never felt the faint click in gas pedal, but I doubt
    that it would bother me.

Check your mirrors though. My right one is loose, leaving
    a slight gap. I am taking it in tomorrow to get fixed.
  • Does sonata have corrosion problem similar to accord? The accord tend to corrode at the rear wheel fenders.
  • dirodiro Posts: 1
    I just got a GLS 4cyl. I've put 300 miles on it.I'm getting 24 miles to the gallon highway & city. I'm curious about the 6 cyl,as to what it's averaging per gallon.I waited 6 weeks for this car. It would be a shame if I waited 6 weeks to save a mile or two per gallon. I had a elantra & it gave me 30 miles per gallon City & Highway.So i'm not thrilled by any means about 24 mpg. So I would get some details about true gas millage for the 6.

To answer your ? The 4 has plenty! of power. I live in a hilly town & I do notice that it bogs down a bit, but just a bit. So I think its a non issue.
    300 miles is WAY too early to be thinking about your MPG.

You don't know how full the "full tank of gas" the dealer gave you was. Your city & highway mix will also have an affect on your MPG. Plus, your car is nowhere's near broken in.

However, if you expect to get better milage from your new Sonata compared to your old Elantra, you will be disappointed. The Sonata is bigger and heavier and has a larger engine. You'll use more fuel. But you'll have other comforts which you may find worth offsetting to a few MPG. Think of Caddy to Chev Impala. Both good cars, but Caddy has more comforts & Impala will give better MPG (usually).
  • krikakrika Posts: 49
    I remember seeing an advertisement in Automobile magazine a month ago. Its a V8 Malibu which shuts down 4 cylinders when cruising. I will dig through my magazine pile and post again when I find it.
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    People post how smoothly it runs and how powerful it is, but there seems to be a dearth of fuel usage posts on the new 3.3L V6. Since these cars were released for sale in June, I'd think at least some would have enough break-in miles by now to reflect what they're capable of in terms of fuel economy. As Yogi Bera once said, "The silence is deafening."
    I had a Chevy Celebrity which used to shut down
    all 6 cylinders when turning a corner.
    Why would you have to know if the tank was full?
    The trip computer doesn't keep track of the gallons
    used?

I have 1280 miles on my 6 cyl, and have gotten 25.4
    mpg, about 80 % highway miles. I expect it will
    get better, now that it is broken in.
  • Filling the tank and noting the odometer reading and then refilling the tank and noting the new odo reading is the only accurate method of computing mileage IMO. The trip computer is often inaccurate by 10% or more.