Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    The online owners maintenance schedule shows the plug change at 97,500 miles. Since most people don't keep their cars to 100K, this is probably not going to be a problem for the initial owners.

I had a 1975 Chev. Monza with a 350 C.I. V8 (sold only in Calif. for one year)that required the engine be partially pulled to change the plugs! It was a hotrod though.
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Well then, I guess that leaves me out. It takes me about that long just to get started laying out the plugs, tools, etc.. and by then I am to pooped to continue anyway. So I guess that means they (whoever) will be elected for that job. At least it doesn't have to be done as often as it used to back in the not too distant past. ugh :sick:
  • Options
    harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    was told the 30K is about 300-400, and the belt replacement for 04 V6 is around 350-400.
    60K tune up=400, then around 75,000 miles, the belt=400...so these can be done(unless you drive more than say 1,250 miles per month) a year apart(we try to do service right after tax returns. That way, the money's right there).
    The new sonata's -i have read- have no belt to change?

Anyhow.... dealerships, like at Toyota(for our 05 Scion tC) charge (after taxes,etc) nearly 30 dollars for oil change, unless you have a 10% discount coupon or something.

You could go to a 10 minute place like my in-law did, for 32 dollars, and get home and notice a red light, and oil slick 1/2 mile long, and find the oil plug(crushed) in the road, because the service guy did not put it on tight enough.
    This was for a 97 mazda protege dx model.... they did pay for repairs, 2K. Still have the car.
  • Options
    cars for 100,000 miles? I wish. My spouse drives 35,000 miles per year. In 5 years, that is nearly 175,000 miles. Since we would get hardly anything at 3 years, 105,000 miles, we just run them to 200,000+, unless mechanical issues constantly arise.

Had a 90 sentra xe from June 90-July 99, if not for rust(due to accidents, being hit), we would have kept it for more time.

on the other hand, we had a 87 spectrum lasted 37,000 miles, and a 200 sx, 97, turning to junk by 66K.

had our 99 sonata gls v6 to around 120,000.
    77 camaro 109,000.

they were either rusting out, or acting up, nickel and dime stuff, every few weeks, so we dumped these last 2 vehicles.

had a 01 tibby until 103,000, and tranny was going, so we dumped it, at a loss, of course.

now have an 04 gls v6 sonata and a 05 tC. Both doing good, so far, Sonata perfect(running) at nearly 23,000/15 months old, and the tC nearly 40,000 and 15 months old.

Keep em until we get bored, or run them into the ground, or they break down a lot.

Peace.
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    I have been reading the costs most dealers charge for an oil change on the '06 Sonata and am glad I do them myself! Without starting an oil "brand war" or other similiar stuff I just wanted to say what I personally do for my car. An oil change takes me roughly 10 minutes and costs under 10 bucks.

- I always throw the stock oil drain plug in the garbage whenever I get a new car and replace it with the far superior Fumoto valve (http://www.fumotovalve.com).

- I buy a dozen or so oil filters from Pep Boys.

- I stock up on 5-quart jugs of "Supertech" Oil at Walmart.

Piece of cake.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    We obviously have a different take on "styling continuity".

I guess we do. But if you consider carry-over badging to be styling continuity, Hyundai has used the same badging for many years now--does that count? Personally I don't think the elliptical "H" emblem with a canted H looks anything like the trapezoidal Honda emblem. Both company names start with an H; what was Hyundai to do, put another letter in their emblem? :surprise:

Also, Hyundai does have a characteristic grille style--a chromed "waterfall" look--that has become a brand trademark in Korea at least. It has shown up on several models including past Sonatas and the XD (and now the '06 Elantra Limted). I am really glad Hyundai didn't carry it over to the '06 Sonata because I think it's quite ugly. :P The more recent general Hyundai grille treatment is common to several models, including the Sonata, Elantra, and Azera--a mostly blacked-out grille with thin chrome surround. Maybe not as instantly recognizable as the BMW "kidney" grille or Cadillac's egg crate, but it's a start.

The Sonata has changed its styling with every generation, true. But so have its competitors. I think it's clear why car makers do this--to give customers another reason to buy the "latest and greatest" rather than keeping the old buggy a few more years. I sure hope Hyundai isn't rushing to mimic the Accord's new tailights on the Sonata--I much prefer the back end of the Sonata, which Toyota clearly ripped off on their latest Lexus models and on the '07 Camry. Yes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :)

P.S. The 300 was Chrysler's replacement for the Concorde. I never stated that the 300 was trying to mimic the Concorde--my point was that they have completely different styling. Maybe you can re-read my post while you are sipping on an egg nog or your favorite holiday beverage. :D
  • Options
    johnson5johnson5 Member Posts: 34
    Unless routine maintainence parts and services are available for sonata, out side the dealership such as oil change, change of break pads etc
    the dealers will charge what they want and it is inconvenient for the customers to go to the dealership for simple services such as Oil changeall the time.
    Oil change and filters for toyota and Honada are abvailable every where.
  • Options
    Is this really that big a deal? Those owners of the '06 Sonata V6 who don't want to get the oil changed at the dealer can buy a few filters from their dealer or order them through the "My Owner" site at hyundaiusa.com, until 3rd-party filters are widely available.
  • Options
    Unfortunately not every one who takes the car for service is a man.Our local dealer charges charges 10 Plus for filter.
    One looks for convenience.
    not ordering filters from Hyndai USA .com and carrying them with themin the trunk.
    Yes sir it is a big deal.
    kind regards and merry christamas.
  • Options
    Well, I'm sure there are some V6 mid-sized sedans out there that have lower-priced oil filters. Like the Accord for instance. But let's see, if the Accord costs me $5000 more than the Sonata, and the oil filters cost me $5 more each, that's... well, a lot of oil filters. Under severe service and 15,000 miles a year, the Sonata V6 will cost about $25 more a year in oil filters. If that is a big deal for you, I respect your opinion. Merry Christmas to you!

P.S. I'm still trying to figure out what gender has to do with this.

P.P.S. My profile doesn't indicate my gender. Why did you assume I am a man (which I am)?
  • Options
    docjoshdocjosh Member Posts: 21
    tbear503,

Here is a post you made on November 3rd:

I love the steel gray; very good in the sun but also looks great at night in a well lighted parking lot! It hides dust pretty well, but does show smudges and fingerprints. To my eye, it seems to get more gray after a couple of months. I also framed the grill with chrome stripping from Autozone (it's sold as wheel well trim) that really makes the grill stand out. I'm hoping that K-Spec or someone comes out with chrome trim for the lower body sills.

I'm not really certain what you mean by "wheel well trim." How thick is this? I bought a steel gray sonata LX and didn't want to spend the $100 on the "chrome grill." I already bought a painted spoiler and mud-guards to help protect from rocks. I'll post pictures when I'm done! But I wanted to add the chrome trim on the grill as well... How does it look by the way? Any information you have would be greatly appreciated - Anyone else too! Thanks and Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, etc. to everyone!

docjosh
  • Options
    tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    ... Like the Accord for instance. But let's see, if the Accord costs me $5000 more than the Sonata

Maybe... Maybe not!
    It all depends how you look at it!
    I traded-in a 2001 Sonata for around $5,000... If it were a Honda Accord,all things being equal (year/mileage/condition...), I could have gotten $10,000 maybe!

You see one looses at the beginning, the other at the end.

The Honda/Toyota Cost Thousands more slogan, is a sales hype/gimmick! It is only one facet of the equation
  • Options
    The sonata is a family car. My wife takes my CRV to the local Wal-Mart and while shopping gets the synthetic oil replacement and filter for 28 dollars.

People want to get the oil change per their convenience such as Pennzoil, oil change, local service station and for other miscellaneous services rather than going to a dealer and his 8-5 timings.
    Some of these family members do not want to be bothered by taking a filter and giving it to Oil change places by their choice.
    It is their choice and I do respect it.
    Merry Christmas
  • Options
    Well, if someone believes bringing a filter along to the oil change place is a bother, that does limit them. But consider it is a near-certainty that 3rd-party oil filter cartridges will show up for the Sonata V6 in the near future, especially when other Hyundai vehicles like the '07 Santa Fe roll out with the same engine. That is a large market that the Frams of the world won't ignore.
  • Options
    Yes, I completely agree--there are many facets to the equation. Although I don't agree it's just sales hype/gimmick. Don't forget for example the interest earned (or avoided) because of the $5000 initial savings, multiplied over the years of ownership. There's also savings from things like sales tax avoided (several hundred dollars in many states). Then there is the term of ownership. If you trade a car after just a few years, the difference in depreciation is a significant factor. If you keep a car many years, it's moot.

But this is a thread that is better suited to a comparison discussion like "Sonata vs. Accord vs. Camry vs. Fusion", isn't it?
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    I did a check on Kelly Blue Book for 2001's with V6's similarly equipped and the Accord was only $3,000 more. So with the Accord not only do you have a higher payment or lose interest in you paid cash but you lose $2k in that "premium" you pay for the Honda.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    rest of them the obvious choice is the Sonata for 2006. Not any Honda or Toyota or Nissan.

The only car in this range of cars I would look at other than the Sonata is the new Kia Optima, which is a looker IMO, or Ford's latest sedan, the Fusion.

The initial savings up-front is the real financial perk that Hyundai and Kia offers. The body styling of Hyundai and Kia is spot on and I respect both of their engineering departments greatly. The Koreans have topped the Japanese and have pulled it off with glee. I took a momentary look at a Scion tC and xA RS2.0 with a serious thought for about 6 months of diverting to Scion but logic finally got the better of me and now I'm strongly considering going smaller than my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 to a 2006 Kia Rio5 with it's better gas mileage.

Enjoy your '06 Sonata's, dudes. You are making the correct choice. The sleeper in your segment is the new midsize sedan from Ford, the Fusion. IMO it is the right move for Ford and one of the brightest star(t)s to shine from them (after the latest Mustang, of course :D ).

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    Yea but you get the Accord instead of a maligned make.
  • Options
    hey, our Scion tC, 2005 with automatic, 70% hwy, 30% city driving, avg of 650 miles per week for the past 15 months? 33 MPG.
    Had gotten over 34 before. Low has been maybe 31-32.
    That EPA sticker is a trip...31 mpg? Are they kidding?
    Low End... or all city driving, or first month- two of driving, yes. If you stomp the gas pedal every take off, yes.

Rio is fine for city driving, but Hwy? :(

Gimme 160HP/33mpg vs 110HP/36-38 mpg. I'll take the "loss" on 3-5 mpg.
    At least merging onto the highways, I would feel a lot safer in the tC ;)

Sonata is ok, but if I had to buy now? G6, Fusion, Sonata? Best price would win.
  • Options
    jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    Has anyone ordered the Fumoto Valve for their '06 Sonata V6? If so, does the standard F106 model fit this engine, as well?
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    F106 will fit ALL Hyundai vehicles up-to-date. Makes it nice n easy to do oil changes too. I put one on my '06 Sonata just like my last few new cars and have never had any trouble from them. Try it...you will like it!

John
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    The initial savings up-front is the real financial perk that Hyundai and Kia offers. The body styling of Hyundai and Kia is spot on and I respect both of their engineering departments greatly. The Koreans have topped the Japanese and have pulled it off with glee.

Actually, I think Hyundai is doing extremely well, but Kia not so well. Hyundai seems to be climbing the dependability charts at alarming rates, while Kia seems to be near the bottom. Hyundai's sales are rocketing, while Kia's sales are not.
  • Options
    jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    Hyundai's sales are rocketing, while Kia's sales are not.

Rather have the Sonata than any Kia. Kia screams cheap.
  • Options
    newcar2006newcar2006 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings Hyundai engineers and other Hyundai personnel:

I wish to purchase a new soon. To me, safety is the most important feature. Next is comfort and rideability, followed closely by dependability, reliability, and resale value retention.

I have considered the 2006 Hyundai Sonata and 2006 Honda Civic. I cannot buy the 2006 Sonata in its present state and I am leaning toward the Civic. I will wait on my purchase, though, to see if there is any Hyundai response to this post (as a Hyundai official previously posted to this list recently).

CAN YOU TELL US WHEN--AND WHAT--CHANGES WILL BE MADE TO THE SONATA, and also inform us WHETHER FUTURE HYUNDAI/KIA PRODUCTS WILL INCORPORATE THE BELOW-LISTED ITEMS?

Specifically, I feel the Hyundai Sonata needs to be improved in the following areas. (I have reviewed what others have written, and it seems everyone seems to agree. Please make these changes so I may purchase your car!)

* Break away side mirrors
    * More comfortable seats (more bolster, longer seat cushion, better seat adjustments [don't make driver fall forward])
    * LESS ROAD NOISE! (I, too, hear the wind noise when on the highway and load thumps when driving. Gas tank slosh? Trunk echo? Bad sound dampening or vibration control? Whatever it is, noise emanates from the back of the vehicle and it is NO GOOD!)
    * No radio tuning control on the steering wheel. (Every other car allows the driver to change stations up and down without taking hands off the steering wheel. Add it to the volume control like the Honda Civic.)
    * Better transmission, to avoid 'hunting'.
    * Better stereo with input for MP3 player.
    * Satellite mapping capability. (TomTom GPS systems are only $500. Can't Hyundai add one in at this price?)
    * Add daylight running lights (just like the Canadian Sonatas have. Or at least make this an option that can be 'turned on' at the dealership when one picks up the new car, just like the automatic door locks can be turned on by tweaking the computer at the dealership.)
    * Telescoping steering wheel on all models.
    * Electric seat controls--including lumbar control--on all models. (Put lumbar on passenger seat, too.)
    * Leather seat option on GLS models. (Also, make all the 'nice' options available on the GLS models, such as leather, lumbar, electric seats, sunroof, better stereo, etc.)
    * Black leather interior like available in other countries (without the bad red stitching).
    * Add a middle headrest in the back seat (and make all back seat headrests 'anti-whiplash'.)
    * Parallel park assist (the electric/acoustic backup and front-in assist, like on Australian Sonatas. Maybe even a camera to show what's behind, since it's hard to see where the back of the car is.)
    * Turn signal indicators on the side mirrors, so it's easier for others to see that one's turning.
    * LED brake lights for faster response brake indication. (Just like on the Azera model. They are safer and last longer.)

Hyundai engineers, are you working on these issues? I understand that the Korean Sonatas (as well as in other markets other than the U.S.) have many of these features already. Also, I understand the Korean Sonata has variable sport suspension and other nice features. Why can't the U.S. Sonata have these added features?

If you are going to make these changes, will you please let us know WHEN? I'm willing to wait, but if it's going to be a long time, I will go ahead and buy the 2006 Honda Civic.

Also, please incorporate ALL safety measures in ALL your vehicles, such as: anti-whiplash headrests; electronic stability control and traction control; ABS; side head and torso airbags in front AND back seats; daylight running lights; seatbelt pretensioners; etc.

Why should the less expensive cars be less safe? (Why shouldn't the Elantra have all the safety features of the Sonata?)

Thank you for your considerations. I hope you will incorporate all the above changes before next September, as I need to buy a new car very soon.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    That's quite a Christmas wish list. Sounds like you want an Azera Ultimate, plus a few more goodies for the price of a Sonata GLS.

I haven't driven or ridden in an '06 Sonata, but I can tell you my '05 Sonata GLS SV is more comfortable, rides better and is much, much quieter than my wife's '04 Infinity G35 which goes for around $37K.
  • Options
    I agree that some of these features are sorely needed, e.g. the folding side mirrors, more adjustable driver's seat, tuning control on the steering wheel, and three headrests in the rear. But it seems to me you have a double standard here. You are saying you won't buy a Sonata unless it has all of the features you list, but you would buy a Civic, which doesn't have many of those features. For example, no Civic model in the U.S. has ESC or traction control, yet all Sonata models have those features standard. (Honda does not do that even with the Accord.) Hyundai actually has a very good record in offering safety features as standard equipment, e.g. they were the first automaker to offer side airbags standard on all of their cars, three years before Honda did. And as they replace their model line, they are adding ABS and curtain airbags to all models, including the low-buck Accent and the '07 Elantra. I think all Hyundai models sold in the U.S. have seatbelt pretentioners standard. The Azera offers all of the safety equipment you mentioned, including eight airbags standard (two more than the comparably-priced Accord).

So if you are going to ask of these kinds of changes from Hyundai, isn't it fair that you ask for the same changes from other automakers, such as Honda--starting with the Civic?
  • Options
    tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    ... * Telescoping steering wheel on all models.
    * Electric seat controls--including lumbar control--on all models. (Put lumbar on passenger seat, too.)
    * Leather seat option on GLS models. (Also, make all the 'nice' options available on the GLS models, such as leather, lumbar, electric seats, sunroof, better stereo, etc.)...

They have most of these options already... it is called the LX.
    If they start making them available a la carte like you suggest/imply, then the price will go thru the roof.
    As it is now, it is as simple as picking from a menu with certain options for GL/GLS I4 & V6/LX (each comes with pre-determined options).
    Plus I don't think that Hyundai wants to price things like GM / Ford & Co. Look at them; they are fighting for their lives!

As for Folding Mirrors: they used to have them before , but I think they did away with that in order to be able to have heated mirrors!
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Thanks for the link nostalgia. Very nice interior for the re-designed Optima. Does this mean we can look forward to upcoming interior changes to Sonata as well? It would certainly be welcome considering that the Sonata has such a pleasing, exterior design. I've always felt that the interior was the one area of the car that could use a 'makeover'.

Yeah the Sonta's interior I seen one in black color the other day and the exterior looked good on the Sonata but the interior does need an improvement. I mean the Sonata that I saw had had grey plastics on the dash area and on the bottom half of the interior plastics had ebony color which didn;t look so hot to me. The ebony part just didn't look that good to me. At least they could gave painted the interior plastics one solid color.
  • Options
    When Hyundai first introduced the 10/100K warranty for 1999, we became interested. Issues: New turn signal stalk , old one broke off.
    New vent for gas fumes(recirculation valve?), new alternator, new radiator, and new water pump, all in a 5 year, 118,000+ mile time frame . We traded it in for the Scion tC.
    Spouse had an 01 tiburon, 99,000, new axles, both, fronts, free under warranty. 103,000.. tranny nearly dead, and only 38 payments made. traded it in for another Hyundai, as we really had little choice, and lost 4K on trade in!

luckily(?) they had a 21K gls V6 2004 Sonata year end clearance for a bit under 15K.
    Well, the dealership had a special 5 years in biz sale , hyundai cash back, etc.

No probs so far, in nearly 16 months of ownership,23K.

But, we did notice More NVH, from engine bay to rear seats.

That's a big deal, to go "backwards" in this dept!

It's like this, I feel as if, when Hyundai's "life"(in USA) depended on the 10/100K and the new Sonata(Hyundai's most expensive car at the time), besides the other "periphial" parts failing, NVH, etc, was superb, making that part of the car seemed "over built", to get customers.
    It was on par of the XG350(now?) for NVH.

Now? Since the Xg's the largest car, or was, and Azera taking it's spot(until 07-08, when a RWD 30-35K car comes out, larger than Azera) the Sonata has been relegated to less NVH isolation?
    The 06 was a tiny bit more quiet than the 04, but nothing approaching the 99's super quietness.
    I am serious when i said my wife, her mom, others who tested the car, had to listen to see if the car was running for the 99 GLS v6. Now? no worry, the noise comes right through the firewall/insulation(in the 04).

The 99 GLS, was top line then, had folding mirrors, the key deal on the door lit up green light, when you pulled the handle, to see at night.
    8 way seating, power, leather,etc, for under 18K,w/o any sales.
    Better MPG, NVH, etc.

The 2010 Sonata will become like today Elantra, when that RWD Premium car comes out, and the Azera might become like today's Sonata?

They "cheapen" them down, to force" you to think about maybe spending a few thousand more to get a better car. that's marketing.
    When the XG came out, it felt just like a slightly larger version of the Sonata(which it kind of is/was).
    Both were great cars, NVH-wise.
    XG has had no quality issue,s I know of, though.

Sorry 2 babble on and on.
    We had a choice between a 99 sonata or a 99 maxima: maybe we messed up? The 99 maxima Might have still been in our yard, running, paid off, and just waiting for that Versa 5 door?

I like Hyundai, but they cheapened their cars down. Every time a better , larger car comes out, the Sonata suffers a little?
    6 way seating in the GLS?
    I have 8 way in my 04.
    They have 8 way dial seating in Kia Rio!
    What's that about?

reminds me of Nissan SE-R, first generation from what, 91-94? Great little car.
    Then the current model?
    OK, from what i have read, but nothing like the old school model of 11 years back! Want similar fun factor, gotta buy the Altima, and the top model?
    Now ya know what I get sick of cars.
    they over build them when sales slide, to attract new, and maybe win back some old customers, then they get their numbers up, and slide back on some things.
    :mad:

Whatever.... Maybe a Chinese car by 2015?
    Shouldn't take them too long to learn the ropes? ;)
    can buy a Sonata like car for 12K loaded, with V8, and half the *cylinders shut down during highway travelling, (intentionally, or not, LOL, ;) )for better MPG, like the Impala?

Have a good one. take care, not offense.
  • Options
    mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    Dear Hyundai,

Here is my post-Christmas wish list for the Sonata:

- Foldable side mirrors
    - Comfortable seats
    - Investigate concerns about road noise (i.e. from the gas tank)
    - Radio tuning controls on the wheel (a no brainer imo)
    - Ipod/MP3 player accessory jack (see the Impala as an example). Of if you're really ambitious an integrated ipod dock with controls on the wheel.
    - Black interior
    - Side led signal marker (like on European cars).
    - World Peace

Thank you.
  • Options
    tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    A late Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!; docjosh. The stripping is a little over .25 inch wide, maybe even .5 inch. I'd post a picture except, for the life of me, I can't figure how to do it on here. The sales persons at my dealership were marveled at it when it was in for an oil change recently. To my eye it really dresses up the front end.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    I really don't see how the Accord is worth paying the extra money. being realistic take the name plates off and most people wouldn't notice much of a difference.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    nostalgianostalgia Member Posts: 10
    Merry Christmas!
    First, I want to say that I'm not a representative of Hyundai-Kia motors nor officially involving this forum.
    I'm sorry I can't say when exactly the Sonata will be renewed in interior nor will get the folding side mirrors and so on.
    As you know, almost all features you mentioned are already developed and affordable for the Sonata technically.
    However, Sonata is not a high-end luxury sedan but a competitive mid-sized sedan in the U.S market. I think it depends on the regional preferences and the cultural differences, for example, cars in Korea are kind of symbols of success so that the target buyers tend to reveal themselves through the luxury-looking car or some features like chrome moldings all around the bumpers and doors instead of safety features. That's why Korean cars are unnecessarily expensive. Simply, if you want a side airbag, you must go to the highest trim level.
    On the other hand, there are standard features like (electronic) folding O/S mirrors since Korean parking lots are very very narrow and putting it results an increase in cost at last.
    But I don't mean it is unnecessary in the U.S market.
    It is kinda marketing issue and will be applied to the car gradually.
    Adding and deleting some features are not big deal compared to the interior renewal. It is not a one-day work.
    It needs thousands of new designs, lay-outs and it's surveys, tests, manufacturing, estimations and so on.
    Actually interior designers had considered a lot before 06 Sonata came out. It got the best score among design concepts from domestic and the U.S customers in the clinic.
    In reality, I've heard that some like it and some don't.
    But we've got the point from the survey and it is in progress even though it is a time consuming process.
    I wonder I gave you a proper answer.
    Again, there is an official route, HMA. And I don't have an authority to answer you officially. I'm just involving this forum for listening to your voice and to find out the best way to make better cars technically as an engineer.
    Thank you!!
  • Options
    Yeah, I immediately removed the words Hyundai and Sonata LX when I got my car because I like a smooth rear fascia. Also removed the stupid dealer's decal which he sticks on all his cars. Only thing on the car now is the word V6 and of course the crooked "H" (both front and rear)so now I suppose, some people assume it is a Honda of some sort. Personally, I'm glad it is a Hyundai.
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    But what can you do about world peace for us?
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I really don't see how the Accord is worth paying the extra money. being realistic take the name plates off and most people wouldn't notice much of a difference."

First off on the exterior looks the Sonata may have the similar rear end treatment of the 03-04 Accord but I feel like the Sonata's rear is done more tastefully than that of the 03-04 Accord's. Secondly, the 06 Accord has different rear than the Sonata does because Honda changed the back clip of the 06 Accord's.

Finally, yeah while I think the Sonata looks better than the current generation Accord the Accord still has a better interior than the Sonata. I was hoping maybe Hyundai will upgrade the interior plastics on a mid-cycle refresh(maybe 08 or 09)for the Sonata. If not I'll look elesewhere. No big deal.
  • Options
    who have lived past 40 (some nearly 60) years.

first, I'll mention Hyundai products:
    in june of 98, my mother in-law and myself went looking for a car for to replace a 92 cavalier.
    She got a 1 year old mazda protege dx(still has it, but her driving abilities are poor, so she also got a used Tracker, as she insists on 4wd now,"to be safe").
    Before this,we test drove a 98 elantra. It actually had drivers and passenger seat adjusters, like the XG350 has/had.
    Do not recall if this was an optional thing, or what.
    By 99, that adjustable passenger seat deal for elantra was history.
    I had a 98 for about 10 days due to an accident, and they felt better built, and faster on take off than the newer models(I read the elantra 0-60 is 9.1 to 9.5 for the current model).
    Old one felt faster, even if it wasn't.
    It's like this, when sales are good, you get less, either in content, NVH, or somewhere, maybe like Price?

Big 3: sales are good, prices are higher. Sales are bad, then turn to Red Tag!
    Knock 2-5K off msrp, and people will buy(the top of the line models).
    Top of line = more cash in their pockets, no matter what brand of vehicle it is.

Like my 90 sentra: thing was built like a tank. Nowadays? right... crumple zones, wrap around bumpers= more $$$ if you get in a 5 mph accident. Crack the bumper= tons of cash for repair and the makers of the bumper,etc.

They make things to break worse than in 1990! Ford escort, in a 1981 NHSTA (think NHSTA) film, they showed on Dateline, had perfect score when it ran 5mph into barriers with it's bumpers(stuck out from the cars body). Nothing wrong.
    Run into a steel pole at 5mph today, with anything short of maybe a real truck(bumper) and you are talking 1-3K repairs(and ya know they hope ya go to the dealership for repairs and parts).

Sorry i digressed from the topic at hand.

Just get fed up with" oh, Federal Regs is why we may collapsible vehicles".. right. I did just fine with seat belts and solid real bumpers on the 90 sentra, and got 33-37mpg.
    (one excuse is they need to use light weight materials, lighter bumpers to meet the fuel regs... my car made em, and then some, 15 years ago, and the car was solid as a rock, no leaning against the car door and denting it nonsense).

Anyhow.... for anyone who reads this, if ya are from Hyundai(on an older fan site, from a few years ago, one guy actually came out with a hotmail addy, and asked for opinions for 6 weeks, and even replied. was he real? i dunno. But you can bet they monitor opinions, all of the companies do)... 1) start making your cars akin to the show cars/concept cars, like the Big 3 are doing, and toyota,etc... this water em down does not help retain customers. 2) Chinese automakers are coming, and will be good, many experts believe , within one generational change up of their vehicles... and they will be here in 07-09 selling.... and by 2015, might = Hyundai.... remember that when the penny pinchers decide to maybe put 100lbs of less insulation in the firewall, to put tupperware like plastics under the dash, parts customers do not readily see on a daily basis,etc... or V6 that say 30 mpg and get only 25.
  • Options
    ...start making your cars akin to the show cars/concept cars, like the Big 3 are doing...

You are right, that is off-topic, but since you brought it up: I guess you haven't seen the Hyundai show car that is a 6-passenger crossover vehicle, a hybrid no less--and which is slated for production next year (maybe not as a hybrid though). Also, the Accent GSi that is coming early next year was a show car, and is coming to us nearly intact.
  • Options
    tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    Go to the home page of this web site-go to news. There are two pics of the (alleged) new Camry. It may look like a Lexus (which it is) ut really reminds me of the wonderful 06 Sonata we all drive.
  • Options
    http://www.hyundaiexchange.com/forum/viewtopic.php?a=390&start=0
    this page has tons of links to AW,Pix,etc, w/links 2 other sites, about Frankfurt show car, Accent SR, 200HP turboed, and this is supposedly the version they got in Europe.

The version we get is not what one would call 100% "thrilling".

And at 156-158 inches long, well, if it is akin in size to the rio5 I saw, it looks small even in comparison to the Rio sedan(at 167 or so inches Total Length).
    Around here, that is akin to taking your life in your own hands, driving anything under 170 inches TL.
    Even then.... still have a lot off the folks who have an 8 ton vehicle, they got pre-2 and 3 dollars per gallon for gas,and can't afford to dump them. And they tend(not all) to drive like they own the roads.
    Road Rage, perhaps? I dunno.

The Azera looks ok, but nothing like this, http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=pic.php&imagenum=2&carnum=1259

FWD, V8,too? Back in 02, it was rumored to be the slightly larger(like Azera) XG350 replacement(and not luxury car, like this thing seems to indicate on the home page?).

RWD for next car above Azera.

Lot of people liked that HCD-7....even people who would never consider a Hyundai before they saw this.
    Reminds me of how Chrysler has developed their cars, design wise, like the 300?

Build Em, and people will buy!
    People will buy anyway, but could there be more people who would take a car like HCD-7 over say Azera, or Sonata, for 30K ?

One last note: not bashing Hyundai, just saying that when I had the 99 Sonata and the 04(besides some NVH changes) they both stood out in my area, mainly Big3, a few Camry's, Accords, and Hyundai's(big lack of Mazda,Nissan here, for some reason,and more Mitsu Eclipses-older ones, and a few Forenza/Reno sedans).
    Now?
    Not so much.
    tC stands out. No one owns one. No one knows what it is!
    Sonata, my neighbors, were like' what is that?"

Now? I dunno.
  • Options
    "Sorry i digressed from the topic at hand."

Your whole post digressed from the topic which is 2006 Sonata. All I could derive from this is that you once test drove an Elantra 7 or 8 years ago and once had a loaner for 10 days. The rest is off topic for this board.
  • Options
    Hmmm. Maybe ya didn't read my other messages?
    I have owned 1) 1999 GLS V6 Sonata: top of the line model for the time being, the car that" rescued" Hyundai,along with Mr O'Neil's 10/100K warranty in USA(sales were 90,000 in 98, 162,000 units, or so, in 99, after this car and warranty appeared, thus "saving: Hyundai from leaving the U.S. market place).

I had to replace the recirc valve,radiator, alternator,and water pump in 5 years, 118,000 miles.

2) Own a 2004 Sonata GLS V6, no leather(and less features than my 99 GLS had, due to the addition of the LX?) no break away mirrors, etc.
    So far, 16 months, 23K miles, all is well, except the car seems decontented vs our 99. More NVH. Turn the key, hear the engine. In the 99? Turn the key, roll down window, and listen to see if the engine had even turned over, it was so quiet.
    Big Difference, had 6 relatives ride in both cars, and same comments: 99 was better.(Better MPG also. 31.7+ all Highway trip vs 27.9 Hwy trip).

The 06 i tested was quieter than my 04, but no nearly as quiet at the 99.
    Of course, back then, the Sonata was what the Azera is now, to Hyundai: Top of the line model, and delivered as such(in the NVH area, and MPG, overall).

Nowadays, minus all the safety gear, there are a few other choices that deliver nearly Identical 0-60 times, NVH, et al.
    G6 has 112+ inch wheelbase, more than the Azera, even, on sale, for under 20K, for a V6.
    Fusion is another decent effort, for a fair price.

Test drive them all before buying, I say.

Hyundai has kind of decontented their stuff, How do I know? I been a Hyundai fan since 95, and an owner for nearly 7 years, 2 Sonata's!
    I should know something about Hyundai products by now, don't ya think ;)

Electronics are (in some cases)more inexpensive to add than say 8 way power seats, from what i read on detnews.com, and other sites such as wardsauto.com
    ABS is cheap these days, compared to 5-10 years ago.
  • Options
    My first Hyundai we tested? Feb 1990. Excel, in Virginia Beach. It did everything But Excel! It felt like driving an old school truck w/o power assisted steering. We thought of Hyundai when they first came out, because we thought they would be akin to the better(minus Isuzu, for the time) Japanese cars.
    They have come a long way.
    We paid 14,999 for the GLS V6 2004 Sonata: at this price, it is a excellent deal. If we had paid the 21K msrp, it would not quite have been such a spectacular deal.

I read on www.hyundaiusa.com they boosted the cash back(some deal on there) to 3,000 dollars.
    That is not too bad, get a GLS V6 for 17-18K.
    Ya can probably argue some off of this too, if cash back to the purchaser.

We just ain't excited by the design, but seems a lot of people are. I know sales went from 9-10K per month, to over 14K in Nov, a record for Sonata sales, right after that 5 star crash test rating.

With this 3K off deal, wonder what December sales will be like? Guess by jan 2-3, we shall find out.
  • Options
    Please, tell me...what is "NVH" ??? Also, what is the Fumoto valve.???? I feel lost today..
  • Options
    NVH= Noise Vibration Harshness.

Also, on tv, Sonata has 3K off, and another 1K off if you are a previous Hyundai owner(loyalty owner cash back). Wonder if they still let ya bargain off some cash, too, from MSRP, since if this is all cash back (from Hyundai, and not the dealership)?
    If ya could get say, 1000 off msrp, plus another 4K from cash back, you could get the LX for what, a tiny bit under 20K?
    That is when ya buy.
    4K or so off GLS V6 is a good deal...what, about 16-17K?
  • Options
    thanks...now it all makes sense..
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    the posts you're referring are sort of like The Tragically Hip's Gordon Downie's rants during his guitarists solo's. Just try to figure them out the best you can and play off of them with your own posts!

It's just part of the magic of the Interweb!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Also, on tv, Sonata has 3K off, and another 1K off if you are a previous Hyundai owner(loyalty owner cash back)

Actually, I saw that same ad (their end of year clearance sale ad. It shows the 06 Sonata, an 06 Sante Fe, and an 05 XG350 if memory serves) and the $4000 in rebates applies to the 05 XG350 only (damn that small print is really small on tv! :confuse: )

Here's the current rebates on all Hyundai products:
    Current Hyundai Rebates
  • Options
    averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    And look at $ inflation too. If the government continues spending (and creating $ and credit) so much more than it takes in, the dollar will continue to lose its value. Overall buying power down is 50% since 1980. And if you are buying a house the dollar is down that much in a couple years in some towns.
    So, its likely each dollar of up front purchase money is worth more than each dollar of increased resale money years from now.
  • Options
    If that happens, however, all prices will adjust, including the prices of used cars.

Back to the '06 Sonata... I was killing time today (got a day off!) and looked at the Sonata inventories of some local dealers. I noticed they had many more V6s than I4s, with GLs in particulary short supply. So I was wondering if that is because more V6s are made than I4s, or the I4s are more popular and have sold better than the V6s. Maybe Dan or another of the Hyundai sales people could comment on distribution of V6s and I4s.