Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    Just curious. Why does one of the writers say that the
    GLS V6 does not have traction control or ESC? It is
    my understanding that even the GL comes standard with both.
    Just checked Hyundai's website, and they are first standard
    features listed. :confuse:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Was it a Canadian review? They sometimes don't get the same features as the U.S. cars do. (And in turn, we sometimes don't get features that they get.)
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    My point exactly...in fact I e-mailed them... at their "contact us" link...and pointed this out. Seems they also got the model number wrong when they returned the test GLS to the dealer for paintwork repair in a later chapter(some one keyed it). They also stated the LX loaner car (incorrectly identified as a optioned up GLS) had power adjustable pedals, this true?? Not to my knowledge. In my opinion easy enough to see the same control panel for traction control (TCS) and electronic stability control (ESC) on their long term car. It is in the same place for all models, even the base GL.
  • jamieperryjamieperry Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what their bottom line price they paid for the 06 LX. All I can get out of the dealer is 24K to 26K. Surely you can buy one for less than that.
    Thanks in advance for any help. :)
  • quipperquipper Member Posts: 3
    I bought mine two weeks ago for $21,450 +TTL. $22,990 out the door. 06 LX6 with sunroof and 6 CD audio. Hope this helps.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome to our Forums! Be sure to check out this discussion: Hyundai Sonata: Prices Paid & Buying Experience. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • swva_gls4swva_gls4 Member Posts: 3
    386 miles/15.03 gallons = 25.6 mpg

Trip computer said 26.6
  • mrenginearmrenginear Member Posts: 7
    check the prices paid forum, they have lots of stories. Also check fritmall.com . for my 2006 lx, w/o the sunroof-cd changer option, i got 21.3, including destination charges. Minus 1k cash back and 1k financiing rebate, i was at 19.3, then add on ttl and 149 documentation fee

(i never understood this "out the door" price - ttl varies so much from state to state. always go with the "before ttl" price, but include all rebates, etc).
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    "Out the door price" simply means the real total delivered final price, excluding financing charges of course.

Or, in other words:

Dealer Selling Price + Doc Fee (NOTE: Doc fee is taxable) + Sales Tax = Subtotal 1 + Title Registration and License Fees = Subtotal 2 - Any applicable Rebates = Total Delivered Price or typically called "Out the door price"

Since Doc fees, Sales Tax, and Title Registration and License Fees vary from not only state to state but between region to region within a state, perhaps what we really should be asking for comparisons is the Dealer Selling Price, i.e. how much does the dealer come off of MSRP. Some sell at slightly above Invoice, some below Invoice, and even some get into their Holdback as well. In that case, the Dealer Selling Price could be several hundred dollars below Invoice - if they are hungry enough!
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    (NOTE: Doc fee is taxable)

That would depend on the state your in, a doc fee is basically a service so here in ILL it would not be taxable since sales taxes do not apply to services.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    SNAKEWEASEL. Hahaha. I love that name. If I was a car salesman it would look perfectly suitable on my name badge.

You say, "...doc fee is basically a service..." ?

Hahaha. Hahahahaha!
    A service? For whose benefit? It does not serve my interests.

Doc fee is just another profit center devised by dealers who have decided they can fleece the public for a few (hundred) dollars more than the agreed sale price. The little bit of time and/or money they spend to mail or electronically send information to the government is something they CHOOSE to do. It is in reality just another business overhead expense, similar to the electric bill, urinal cakes or lot rent. (I guess we are lucky they don't try to itemize those on the sales agreement too!)
    I believe another reason they insist on taking control of the submission of the paperwork for the title and registration is to make it more difficult for a buyer to back out of the deal, even if that buyer never took possession of the car (drove it off the lot).
    The dealers charge us a "Documentation Fee" because we let them get away with it. (Some states have accurately identified "doc fee" as a sham and prohibit or restrict such "fees".)

Since the doc fee ends up being a part of the price you pay and is really just dealer profit (not a fee for service to you) it should be included here when we compare prices of cars we've bought.
    Actual money spent for tax, title and registration, and any other fees which must be paid to the local, county, state or federal government in connection with a car purchase should not be shown here for comparison purposes.

Anyone agree or disagree? If so, why?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    comment on the doc fee but I will reiterate how good of an overall deal the '06 Sonata is. This crushes with much weight any dissatisfaction a doc fee might cause, eh?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

SNAKEWEASEL. Hahaha. I love that name. If I was a car salesman it would look perfectly suitable on my name badge.

Well I am glad you like it, but thats not the reason I got that nickname. As a kid I got the reputation of being slippery as a snake and could weasel out of anything, hence the name.

A service? For whose benefit? It does not serve my interests.

It is the fee for doing all the paperwork with the state. It benefits you because then you don't have to spend a few hours standing in line to process the paperwork. But yes its almost pure profit for the dealer.

• sonatamesonatame Member Posts: 72
    Pricing?
    I purchased the LX without the sunroof or 6-CD player and ended up at $19,800. I did this in December and they had the $1000 finance through Hyundai, $3000 instant, Dealer had internet $1000 off and their were another $2,000 worth of rebates that I did not qualify for, but negotiated down the extra rebate offerings.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "...you would think rental car companies would stay away from Hyundais, including the Sonata, like the plague..."

Why? Because you say so? Even Hyundais can stand up to the first 24,000 miles with little liklihood of a major breakdown. That's about the mileage where the rental agencies typically auction or sell off their rentals. And, while it's doubtful that Hyundai would cover a rental out to 60,000 miles while in the hands of a rental agency, issuing at least a 12 mo./12,000 mile commercial use warranty to the agency wouldn't be beyond reason.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    The last few times I went to the Motor Vehicle Department I did not have to stand in any line for more than a minute, and that one time was just to get a number. I took that number with me and my current book to one of the comfy chairs and waited there reading for 20 minutes until I was called. Not bad experiences at all, particularly since the office is now smoker free. (In the old days, I used to hate going and waiting in what smelled like an ashtray.)
    Maybe its just me, but for $150 to $500 or so savings, I'd rather read my book and sign the title and registration papers at the MVD counter myself.
    But the new car dealers will not allow it.
    Actually GM and other American motor companies have cut off some of their deals with the Rental car groups. This was stated in the news a couple of months ago for the reason that rental car prices were going up. One way for the Rental companies to hold their prices down is to go to a less expensive car that still has all the bells and whistles the customer is used to. I remember 20 years ago when you could only get GM products at Avis and now you never know what you are going to pick up (sounds like Forest Gump). I actually enjoy trying different vehicles.
    Enterprise has a great deal with Toyota and you would be shocked at what our company leases company vehicles for when you look at 3-years, 100,000 miles and initial sticker price.
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    Rented a car from Alamo few days ago at LAX and they had a fleet of toyota sienna minivans for rental. I can recall when alamo rental car was strictly GM and GM vehicles only.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You need to look at my entire post to take my comment re "...you would think rental car companies would stay away from Hyundais, including the Sonata, like the plague..." in context and in the spirit in which I meant it. You will then see that I was talking about the fact that auto rental companies do NOT stay away from Hyundais like the Sonata, which raises the question about whether their resale value is as bad as some people claim.
  • sgk09sgk09 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought LX because, wanted leather and climate control+air filter, got package 3, because wanted sun roof.
    I paid $1450 for the package which consist of sun roof and upgraded 6 discs changer and subwoofer music system
    The roof cost $900 on GLS so i makes $550 for music upgrade.( I was told LX system is a better than one from GLS)
    I am not expert on sound system but I know, my son's $50 add on computer 2.1 speakers give more punch with drums and low frequency sound. So I do not find my LX/3 output worth $550 extra.(minus changer)
    I am sure there better after market system out there for that kind of bucks.
    Is LX buyers forced to pay the extra to get a roof? OR the system is really worth it?
    I would like to know from our experts.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    It's all a matter of personal preference. Some, including me, don't think it's worth $900 to have a hole in the roof. Others wouldn't own a car unless it had a hole in the roof.

But the packaging of options, first started by Honda/Toyota I think as a way of lowering popular options cost and making production more efficient, is now the norm industry wide. In these packages one often has to pay for some unwanted features in order to get certain "must have" features. Weigh the entire package and determine if it worth the cost for the specific items you "must have."
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    In Oklahoma, the dealer is required to list this "documentation fee" or "title fee" on the sales contract for exactly what it is: ADP. On the front of the sales contract, there is a line for "ADP" where the additional fee is printed on the contract ($125 is a popular figure around here). On the back of the contract, in tiny screened back type, is the definition of ADP: "Added Dealer Profit." Title work is part of the cost of doing business for a dealer. The state requires them to file the documetation paperwork on the products they sell. Charging the customer a separate fee to do this is no different than if I charged my clients a "tax service fee" for submitting deductions when I do my taxes!
  • refllxrefllx Member Posts: 4
    sgk09, I agree the 6CD changer isn't worth an additional $550. It's a little late in your case to suggest my approach to the "want a sunroof but not the 6CD changer" dilemma, but what I did was make my best possible deal for the base LX and then offered $900 to add package 3. I expected them to come back and offer it to me for dealer invoice $1278 which I wouldn't have taken. Whether because it was the end of the year or possibly because they had more LXs with Pkg 3 than without on the lot I don't know, but they accepted the $900 offer.
  • krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    I personally don't think the music system is worth so much in the LX. Infact, my cd changer got stuck for the 'n'th time, and this time for good. No disconnecting battery would save it, so the dealer had ordered for a replacement under warranty. Moreover, the sound doesnt' seem so good either. I am an amateur audiophile and I can distinguish between good audio and mediocre audio. And I am sure for that money you can get A-class audio systems in the market. But I do love the sunroof, ofcourse would be using it only 6 months in a year - coz its winter now!!!!!
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    I know this is a bit late to chip in, but I've TRIED to find '06 Hyundai Sonata's in rental fleets in my area... and have been told everytime that they AREN'T in the Rental fleets here (Hampton Roads, Virginia). All I can get are Accords, Camrys, Taurus's, Stratus, or the occasional Mustang, Neon, PT Cruiser, Impala (yep!) or Fusion.
  • dketzdketz Member Posts: 1
    GLS V6 6100 Miles
    Average combo MPG 23

Fuel gage read ¾ full after fill up. After five fill up’s, the gage works fine.

AC condensation drain plugged. Foul smell using A/C. Warranty covered, A/C disinfectant kit used. Works fine now.

Windshield washer stopped working. Took to dealer who said pump motor broke. Service manager said he had three more customers this week with same problem ( all 06 sonata ). No part in stock, had to come back one week later and got it fixed. Possible recall on pump motor. Warranty covered.

Other than the above mentioned, I’m happy.
    I bought just the basic LX as well because I did not want to pay the extra money on the Hyundai sound system which at my age will only be wasted(woofer). I would of liked the sunroof since I traded in a convertable, but a sunroof really doesn't compare to the top being down. The nice thing about the Sonata is that after market materials can be added without effecting alarm systems or having to re-wire the whole car. I did prefer the LX because of the 17" wheels and the wood-trim and etc.
  • xenon666xenon666 Member Posts: 15
    My windshield washer pump just died this week too. Going to get it fixed next week.

No other problems.

4400 miles avg mpg 24.
    I travel entire country and it is hit and miss. Some Rental agencies are franchised and each franchise determines types of cars and how many miles will go on them before selling. Once in Little Rock I rented a Pontiac Grand Prix and it had 60,000 miles on it. If you have abused rental cars like everyone else has, you can imagine what a piece of junk this one was. This was quite a few years ago, so they may have tighter rules on some of these franchises now.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Actually, Doc Fee is taxable here in Illinois, at least at all dealers in Champaign-Urbana. On the other hand, the average Doc Fee here is $35.

And, I used to sell new cars at a local domestic dealer and wrote up many contracts with the Doc Fee as a taxable portion of the sales contract. The Illinois Secretary of State office in Springfield specifically states that a dealer Doc Fee is taxable.
    Actually, Doc Fee is taxable here in Illinois, at least at all dealers in Champaign-Urbana.

Gosh darn it your right (after checking with the Il dept of Rev.), however I didn't check to what extent it is taxable. They have a case law for it and I didn't read it.

• johnjjjohnjj Member Posts: 81
    I'm another 2006 Sonata owner whose washer pumped died. Had about 5000 miles at the time. When I took it in for repair yesterday, I mentioned that there was a whirring noise at slow speeds when I turned the steering. I suggested that perhaps it was coming from the power steering. The noise wasn't that loud, so I was a little afraid to complain thinking that they may call me picky. After looking at the car, the service tech said the power steering was leaking and could let go at any time. He said I shouldn't drive the car. I left the car and he is overnighting the parts. It is suppose to be fixed today.

Moral of this story is listen closely for a whirring noise from the PS at slow speeds while turning the steering wheel. If you hear it, take the car in right away to be checked.
    John
  • maggeemaggee Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone experiencing "surging" of the engine and slow shifting from 1-2 in their new Sonata?

Maggee :confuse: ">
  • rgyiprgyip Member Posts: 43
    Funny how I see that now because I thought I was the only one that had that problem, but at around 5000 miles, in about November, my washer pumped died. Got that fixed and I had so other problems with the car so far at almost 8000 miles.
  • bman900bman900 Member Posts: 55
    My 06 LX Sonata has also made a whirring noise at slow speeds when I turned the steering wheel. This has only occured 2 or 3 times and seems to happen soon after startup when the engine has not yet reached operating temp. The noise was not very loud, so I ignored it. After reading your post I will have the dealer check this out since I have an oil change scheduled next week.
  • johnjjjohnjj Member Posts: 81
    bman900,
    FYI, my dealer said the PS was aerating. They replaced the PS oil hose assembly. Cost would have been $437.41 if it weren't under warranty.
    John
  • nivek911nivek911 Member Posts: 17
    Just read the long term test writeup on Inside Line for the 06 LX. What are these testers doing with their Sonata? They're best MPG as 23.3 and worst was 18.5. They commented "We had trouble getting over 20 mpg even on the open road".

My worst MPG in mixed driving (50/50) has been 22.8. My best in mixed driving has been 24. I haven't made a full tank freeway trip but based on some 60 mile freeway roundtrips and a reset the trip computer I averaged over 27MPG at 75MPH.

I guess my point is if they are driving it like a rental, then don't report negatively about poor gas mileage.
  • cjlarscjlars Member Posts: 29
    I ,too, have noticed a surge at times. It has happened to me when in reverse. I thought it may have been something I was doing but my wife has noticed it too. I have also noticed that when coasting there are times that the car almost feel as though it starts to drag or brake. I assume this is transmission related but I'm not certain.
  • bp25bp25 Member Posts: 11
    Maybe the engine needs to be borken in? My 2003 elantra also had surging in the beginning, but now after 40k, its very smooth and shifts much better.
    when coasting there are times that the car almost feel as though it starts to drag or brake

My '05 does this also, but I don't view it as a problem.
    First time I noticed it was on the downhill portion of Delaware Memorial Bridge (quite steep). The cruise was on and the drag/brake affect kept the car near the speed setting. The other times I have felt it were when I have been in the shiftronic mode going down a long, steep hill. It seems to me that the tranny/cruise is doing it's job and keeping the car from accelerating as if it were in neutral.
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    I live in Jacksonville Florida. I am getting around 25 - 27 miles to the gallon in my 4-cyl Sonata in the city. I have about 1600 miles on the car. If I really try I can get close to 30 (sometimes I play a game to see how high I can go) But the worse I get is around 24 or so when I am not trying. The first 500 miles I got around 20 miles. I havn't done much highway driving yet.
  • mthielmanmthielman Member Posts: 9
    I have put about 3400 miles on my 06 LX in the last two months. I do mostly highway driving and average 70-80 mph. I have averaged 20-22 mpg. No I do not drive abnormally aggressive or anything so not sure why my mpg is so low, but it is bugging me. Other than that I love the car this is my 3rd Hyundai.
  • pastor_johnpastor_john Member Posts: 3
    I have a v6 GLS that I drive 75%/25% city/hwy and I get 24/28.5 mpg. The car has been great. At 3k miles I put in Mobile One synthetic oil. I recently had a starter assy that failed. My only complaint is that I seem to sink in the seat over a very short time and need to adjust the height. I'm 6'2 and 220lbs so I shouldn't have this problem. I have a 2001 Camry with 140k miles and the seat is fine. :)
  • moodpersonmoodperson Member Posts: 9
    This is my first posting here, but I just bought a 2006 Sonata V6 loaded. I thought I would start this posting to tell you my first impressions.

I have about 1100 miles. Right at 1,000 miles, the door jamb overhead light switch failed. Actually, it probably was dead from the factory and i just noticed it then.

I also noticed this week that the switch that controls the notification light for the fuel filler door is defective, so I will have to take that in to get fixed.

At a very slow speed, when I push the brakes, there is some sound coming from the trunk area. It is "clunking" sound as though something is moving in the chassis.

The front windshield glass had four thumbprints on the left edge right by the roof pillar. They are on the inside of the glass and were made by someone at the factory with glue on his fingers, because I had to take a razor blade to get the prints off and they are so close to the edge, you can see they were on there as the glass was set.

Similarly, the driver's side door glass has what appears to be waterspots. However, they can't be scraped or washed off. It is as though some chemical splattered on the glass and etched it. You can't normally see it unless the sun is coming through on that side.

Finally, just yesterday, I noticed a wheezing sound coming from somewhere under the engine. It went away, but I hope it isn't anything serious.

I got 30 MPG on a trip, and around town I consistently get 21-25, depending on the conditions. So I can't complain about the mileage. I did the mileage manually and checked the computer, and the computer is accurate.

Does anyone have anything to say about the heated seats? I like heated seats, but these seats are either too hot or too cold. They heat up, then cool down, but don't seem to keep a consistent temperature.

Cabin noise is good. Very quiet and the most noise seems to come from the tires, but aerodynamically there is little if any wind noise.

I would love to report about the ESC, but cannot notice any difference at all with it off or on. Does anyone else feel the difference?

Fit and finish (other than what I noted) is superior. Overall, I give the car high marks, but not as high for the small refinements that come from other carmakers that have been around longer. For example, the power door locks ought to lock automatically when you put it in gear and the radio controls on the column ought to include an on/off switch for the radio. Plus, when you mute the radio, it ought to stay muted even when you turn on the car the next time. As it is, if you turn off the ignition with the radio muted, the next time you start the car, the radio comes on with volume full blast. There is also a light on the dash that says "Passenger Airbag Off" if someone is not sitting there. Well, duh!! Why do I need that light unless a child is sitting there? At the least, the light ought to go out after a time. It is distracting especially at night.

Would I buy it again? Yes, but I would have been more careful to check out the actual car I bought before taking delivery. As it was, I took a demo car then went inside to sign the papers and took delivery of a different car on the lot than I drove. I also would like to know why the car's manual mentions adjustable pedals but that isn't an option. I bought the car supposedly "fully loaded", but that option wasn't mentioned. I think I would have liked to have it.
    Sorry to hear about your problems my only complaint is I can hear the gas slushing around the tank when it is full - that is annoying. Also can't change radio stations from the sterring wheel which I find very very odd.

There is a feature to have the car automatically lock when you get going but it must be turned on at the dealership. Don't let them charge you to do it either. Raise Holy Hades if they try to charge you. Throwing a fit in the middle of the sales floor works well
    The other option is that the test car may have had some defects that affected its fuel useage?
    "First time I noticed it [speed retardation] was on the downhill portion of Delaware Memorial Bridge (quite steep)."

Yeah, my '03 V6 does it, too, coming down the Cajon Pass in southern California from the high desert. It's just engine braking from fuel delivery being cut off to maintain cruise control set speed. The sensation is further exacerbated because of torque-converter lockup causing the engine speed to decrease according to the tachometer. It is a strange sensation initially to maintain or lose speed slightly when descending a steep grade, but now I'd only be alarmed by its absence.
  • acurattleacurattle Member Posts: 35
    I agree with most of what you said. I've had my GLS V6 for 6 months. (1) I, too, thought that the Fuel Door inscription in the instrument panel was an indicator light, but it isn't. It has a small triangular arrow pointing left to remind you which side of the car the gas goes in. It is not a light at all. (2) I don't have heated seats, but your comments echo ones I've read in other posts and reviews. (3) My ESC has not activated, but then where I drive (Silicon Valley) roads are rarely slippery. Others have had it come into play in more slippery situations and conditions, i.e., snow and ice. Nice to know ESC is there in such cases. In fact, this important safety feature being standard on Sonatas is what first attracted me to this car. (4) The door switch and glue-prints defects you had indicate lack of proper dealer prep. My car's fit and finish on delivery was excellent, but I do have some 5" circular markings on the middle of the rear window, where a rubber pad or suction cup was perhaps once applied. Anyone else have that? Standard glass cleaner seems to remove it only temporarily. (5) As for the Passenger Airbag light, it lets you know if the weight resting on that seat is sufficient to activate the airbag on that side. That's pretty important and useful info to have. You may have a bag of groceries there, and certainly don't want that expensive-to-replace airbag going off for that if there's an accident on your way home. A small person sitting there, on the other hand, had better extinguish the indicator. If not, they need to be in the back seat. (6) Never noticed the Mute switch issue; guess I probably just never left it on when I shut off my car. (7) As for adjustable pedals, I guess they have 'em in Korea, but not in the USA. Maybe next year. Wiring diagrams for this car show that there is provision in the electrical system for a Tire Pressure Monitoring System and for Daytime Running Lights, but these desirable capabilities also are not currently available in this country. :cry:
    I would have them replace your back window if you can't get that cleaned off. They should do it under warranty no problem. If they give you any problems contact HQ in California.

I had a VW Fox back in 88 and I had scratches on the steering wheel (they were there when I got the car) and I broke the door locks carrying compressed air tanks in my car one dive trip. They replace all of it no questions asked. Say what you want about VW they stood by their warranty for me.
    Sounds like much of your concern is more a dealer prep issue than a car problem.

Light bulbs are light bulbs. I've changed household lights bulbs and the new bulb has blown with an hour...rare, but it does happen. Fingerprints, guess they should have been cleaned off before delivery. Loose connection on the fuel filler door is quite possible, again a dealer prep item. "Water spots," who knows, maybe a special cleaner is needed.

The Azera's heated seats are adjustable, like an electric blanket. Sonata's are just on or off, at least in my '05.

Auto door locks are programmed differently depending upon the car make. Hyundai does give you a choice of apeed eanges. My prior car was at 15 MPH, no choice.