Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    The 06 sonata rear end looks like an almost copy from current generation Accord. Similarly, their new Santa Fe looks like Pilot too.

Hope they have similarly good quality too. With much lower price, they definitely are worth looking into.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In person, the rear end doesn't look much like an Accord. On the subject of styling, Hyundai has admitted the A6 was their chief inspiration for the new Sonata's styling. I think they looked hard at Acura for the front end, too.
  • mononeomononeo Member Posts: 89
    I'm parandoid about making changes to Hyundai vehicles. It wouldn't surprise me if installing a short-throw shifter would void the warranty.
    I believe that the Korean Herald must be incorrect. The Hyundai website says "Spring 2005". If the cars aren't even starting to be made until May 20th, they definitely aren't going to arrive in show rooms until June. Calling June a spring month, for the last time, is a bit of a stretch. Especially in the eyes of car shoppers.

I've read reports that they are already stockpiling cars, and just haven't shipped them yet.
    First, summer doesn't officially start until around June 20. So "Spring 2005" looks accurate. (Hey, we can still get snow up here in May!) Second, the cars piling up in Montgomery may be the pre-production units, i.e., the cars they are making while they fine-tune the production process. They wouldn't sell those to the public (at least we hope not).

Now ask yourself... do you really want one of the very first cars for a brand-new design to roll out of a brand-new factory that has a workforce that has never built a car until a few weeks ago? I thought it was risky enough when I bought one of the first all-new '01 Elantras shipped to the U.S., but at least Hyundai had been selling them in Korea for awhile.
    While June 20th may be the real start of summer, as far as American consumers are concerned, it is not. Kids are out of school the first week of June, or last week of May. People are starting to go on vacations, blah. While April may not be the production start, or March... If we don't start mass-sales production until May 20th or whenever, they won't arrive until weeks after that to dealerships. Additionally, there is so little time until that much-debateable seasonal solstice that there would be mass shortages of the cars, of which I'm sure there will be much advertisements and publicity for.
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    I think the rear does look like an Accord, except the taillamps go upwards, not downwards. However, the new Hyundai Azera looks nice and upscale from the front, but the back is a clone of the Honda Accord. Check it out.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/articles/104904/page021.html?tid=edmunds.e.autoshow..- leftnav.22.**

It's nice that Hyundai is gunning for the top, but copying other cars designs is a really lame thing to do.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Under US warranty law, aftermarket parts cannot be used to deny a warranty claim unless the part in question caused the problem. Some dealers will try to deny the claim anyway, but you just have to be persistent and call HMA corporate on them if they don't shape up.

And, you can always reinstall the old shifter before you go to the dealer.
    Wait until you see the new Sonata in person, then let us know if you still think it looks like an Accord in rear.

The tailights of the Azera do look like the Accord's. However, the rear ends are otherwise much different. Here is the Accord:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/honda/accord/100452043/photogallery.html?pg_type=Sedan&img- src=&tid=edmunds.n.researchlanding.photo..1.Honda**

Note that the Azera has a more pronounced spoiler and also less metal above the tailights, the rear bumper is different, and the Azura has a curved character line on the rear flanks. The C pillars are also much different.

As for lameness... the Accord's tailights look like an early 90s Buick Skylark's lamps. And the Civic's mimic those on the old Mitsubishi Mirage. Talk about lame! BTW, have you ever noticed that Maybach copied their front end from the Hyundai XG? Now that's a compliment!
  • dojahodojaho Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Sonata LX and I love it I would not even consider trading it in on a 2006. Hyundai removed all the great lines of the car. They removed the character. When I see a 2002-2005 Sonata coming down the road I think now that's a classy looking car. I even like it's look better than the Jaguar that they borrow design elements from heavily. It looks like they borrowed heavily from the Honda Accord for 2006. Not a wise choice in my opinion. They really genericized the Sonata. I hope Hyundai doesn't ruin the XG350 in the mean time before I re-buy. Incidentally I'm the proud owner of a 2004 Santa Fe and have also owned a 2000 Elantra GLS Wagon. So I fully expect to purchase another Hyundai, but it certainly WILL NOT BE A 2006 Sonata or any other year until they redesign again. Like a I say maybe an XG350 next.
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    Well, there is no perfect cars out there. Cars such as Honda also has it's flaws. Honda and other honda made cars were recently recalled for transmission issues. However, the experts that test these cars are opinionated just like all other drivers. So far, each review that I have read so far has had a different opinion.

As for the EPA classification, the interior ratings provided by Hyundai say large car interior by EPA classifications. That is correct on Hyundai's part but buyers don't look at it the way the EPA does. The EPA includes trunk space into their classification. Which states "120 or more cubic feet of passenger and luggage volume " to classified as Large.
    The XG350 is not long for this world...

http://www.hyundaiazera.com/
    The Sonata was never meant to be a copy of an Accord. It was meant, however, to be a copy of an Audi A6.

The Sonata's design process started at a concept clinic in California, where Hyundai extensively probed the targeted consumers for their likes and dislikes of all different kinds of cars. They liked the Audi A6. Thus, the new Sonata looks like an Audi A6. If you go to the www.hyundai-motor.com site and go to the Sonata page, and load the video of it, you'll see that from the side it bares no resemblance whatsoever to an Accord. I actually looks like an improved Audi silhouette.

As for the taillights, they are the mean to compliment the headlamps, which is why they are that shape. They go up, not down, and Accord taillights now have completely-red lighting. Also, the Sonata's lights wrap around, as you will see in the video. The Accord's are rather dumpy and two-dimensional. I would say that the car which has the closest taillamps as the Sonata is the new Lexus GS430. If you were to change the turn signals at the base of the lamp into a continual white, rather than the circular separated approach the car has, the taillamps would look explicitly similar to the Sonata's. Now, the Sonata is not a copy of this car, as the Sonata debuted on September 1, 2004 in Korea, a full six months before the GS hit dealerships in the US or Japan.

As for people saying that the new Sonata is not classy, you clearly haven't seen it in action. Take a look at that video I suggested earlier (if you have broadband). That car is more substantial and confident than the old Sonata could ever be. While the old car was a nice looking car, it was obviously a dowdy midsize car in a tuxedo. Granted, it was a beautiful tuxedo, but the new car stands for a lot more in terms of every aspect of design and engineering and this is clearly conveyed in the car's overall appearance. Also, the old car was somewhat of a fusion between the Mercedes C-class and Jaguar X-type. It would seem that more everyday consumers would probably think of the Audi A6 as a car they'd rather drive than either of these. Additionally, your claim that they took all of the car's character is kind of fallacious, seeing as how that car, by your own admittance, didn't really have it's own character.

While you may not agree with me that this car has all the "character", and more, there is a lot more going for this car than its good looks. The old car was at the back of the pack in midsize comparisons in all the magazines, and I never saw a single driver of it in a magazine comment on how beautiful the design was. The new car, however, I have already seen editors comment on. In the issue of Motor Trend where they cover Geneva, the title for the blip on the new Sonata is "hello goodlooking!"

Also, for the alleged "genericization" of the Sonata, I dare you to take a look at it next to its key competitors. Look at the front end of the Camry, the Accord, and the new Sonata. Look at the side profile. Look at the interiors. The Sonata may be derivative of another car, but it is surely not either of those. You'll be looking at bland but original, bland but original, and understated excellence but not completely original.

If you have any doubts, drive one.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    IMO, the fact that you will not give the new Sonata a chance, based on sytling alone, means that you are complacent with a mediocre car when a significantly upgraded one is available. The new Sonata has more room, more safety features, and stronger, more fuel efficient engines among the most notable improvements. True, styling is very subjective, but dont you feel its a little early to write this vehicle off?

And the new XG is called the Azera, check it out on Hyundai's website.

~alpha
  • manofsteel2k6manofsteel2k6 Member Posts: 25
    I am the owner of a 2002 Sonata GLS. I love my car. I think the main reason we bought it(other than price) was that it was soo much more stylish than all of the competition. The car turns heads everywhere we go.

I dont see the same styling on the 06' Sonata. When I first saw pictures of the 06' Sonata released in Asia. I was excited. I couldnt wait for it to come to the US. Now I find out that the models that will be sold here IMHO look stripped down. I am sure by now, that most of you here have seen the photos of that sweet black Sonata on BoBaeDream. Thats not whats comming to the US. They stripped all of the chrome off of the car except for one small strip below the window, and outline trim on the door handles. This is a bad idea. Now the only thing that will really seperate a GL from a LX(exterior wize) is the wheel size.

Without the chrome trim, the new Sonata looks IMHO like every other midsize car on the road. They even stripped off the small turn signals off the body for the US version. I have read that they may not offer the NAV system in the US either. The problem is, these are all things I want.

All this being said, I may still buy one. I have read some of the posts here where some of you have seen them up close. It sounds like a car I might appreciate more once I get to see it up close.

Im sure I will stick with Hyundai. But I am now leaning heavily towards waiting for the reasles of the Azera, or the new Santa Fe. Just my 2 cents.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    every new model of every car our favorite carmaker puts out, right? For instance, I didn't particularly care for the latest Kia Rio produced. I thought it looked too much like a Honda Civic. Not a real good thing, in my view. I'm talkin' styling here, not performance or mechanicals, K?

IMO this new Sonata rocks nicely in many different ways. It is engineered with an emphasis on safety, too, as are both Kia and Hyundai's entire new lineups. Not only is the Long-Haul the most comprehensive warranty their vehicles are built with more safety equipment than pert-near any other manufacturer's lineup. True or false?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• spinzerospinzero Member Posts: 91
    For what it's worth, there have been a lot of bitching among owners in Korea about how much better US bound versions are, and how Hyundai has been using the domestic customers to test the new vehicle. (somewhat true) I won't go into the details, since I'm sure neither KDM nor USDM cars are absolutely better than another. But the point is, you always wish you had the ones that they have in the OTHER market. I'm sure US versions have good things that KDM ones don't too.

BTW, my mom owns a 2.4 I4 version and she is very happy with it, except some rattles here and there. Hyundai is pretty quick to address the rattle issue though, and I'm guessing the USDM cars will have a different window seals and etc to reduce noise and rattles.
    Of note {at the NYC auto show): there was a top-line Sonata on the floor that was accessible to the public. It is every bit as nice as it appears. The materials are outstanding, though I did find the pedals placement more right-oriented than I expected, and a bit awkward at first. This will be the car that earns Hyundai the respect it deserves, if it drives anywhere near as nicely as it feels on the showroom floor.

~alpha
  • carpartscarparts Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2003 Accord, and I can speak from experience that the 2006 Sonata compares favorably with the Accords and Camrys that saturate our domestic market. My recent trip to Seoul enabled me to drive the 2006 Sonata (offered here a year earlier than stateside) for a full week. I was very impressed with the new Hyundai. The quality of workmanship, panel gaps, engine performance, roominess, handling, sound-proofing, interior and exterior styling, etc. etc. definitely felt top-notch, definitely better than any domestic offerings from GM or Chrysler and surprisingly better in several key areas than the Japanese Big Three (Honda, Toyota, Nissan) sedans. The new Sonata will definitely be on top of the shopping list when my wife will be replacing her Mazda next year.
  • vtec2vtec2 Member Posts: 43
    I saw a 2006 Sonata last night in a Chick-fil-a parking lot. We parked next to it to eat our meal when two ladies came to get in it. I asked them if they could tell me when they were going on sale and of course they said they didn't know. When I said I heard they were to go on sale in the spring, they said they hadn't heard that.

I saw the car in West Monroe, LA and they said they were driving it to California. The car had a Michigan manufacturer's plate on it and it was gold with tan leather interior. When they drove away in it I thought it looked a lot like a VW/Audi. It also had a pretty nice sounding exhaust note from the two tail pipes.
    source: http://www.worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/

The following is a press-release from Hyundai on April 4, 2005:

" Visits Chairman Chung and pledges total commitment to ensure future success of HMMA

(Seoul, Korea) Montgomery Mayor Bobby N. Bright and a high level delegation of local county and chamber of commerce officials paid a courtesy call on Chung Mong-Koo, Chairman and CEO of Hyundai Kia Automotive Motor Group, at his office today and together pledged their full commitment to the success of Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama (HMMA).

The officials included Montgomery County Commissioner Todd Strange, Berry Grant, Chairman of the Montgomery Industrial Development Board and Carlton Baker, Chairman of the Montgomery Chamber of Commerce.

Concluding a several month-long period of trial production, HMMA is scheduled to begin full scale operations this week with the first Sonatas scheduled for deliveries to U.S. dealer showrooms in May.

The first U.S.-manufactured Sonata debuted in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The Montgomery, Alabama plant has been under construction since April 2002 and represents a US$1.1 billion investment for Hyundai. Capable of manufacturing 300,000 units annually, the plant complex includes a stamping facility, an engine shop where the all-new Lambda 3.3-liter V-6 engine is produced and a two mile-long test track. The plant alone will create over 2,000 new jobs while the 64 Hyundai suppliers who have invested some US$477 million in the state will create another 4,423 additional jobs.

Established in 1967, Hyundai Motor Co. has grown into the Hyundai Kia Automotive Group which includes over two dozen auto-related subsidiaries and affiliates. Employing over 50,000 people worldwide, Hyundai Motor posted US$26.1 billion in sales in 2004 (on a non-consolidated basis). Hyundai motor vehicles are sold in 193 countries through some 5000 dealerships and showrooms. Hyundai Motor Co. is a sponsor of the 2006 FIFA Germany World Cup. Further information about Hyundai Motor Co. and its products is available at http://www.hyundai-motor.com"

MAY IS THE RELEASE DATE
    there. Can't wait to see 'em out on U.S. roads, the new '06 Hyundai Sonata. ;)

• zupzup Member Posts: 15
    Check it out, hyundai just released an e-brochure for the '06 Sonata on its website:

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/html/showroom/passenger/sonata/focus.html

Most of the pictures are from their website, but they are eye candy nonthlessly.
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    March '05 sales figures have just been released and Hyundai's numbers are again gaining momentum over last year's YTD numbers. Surprisingly some well know brands aren't doing as well as you might think. click here to check out the details: http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/sales-cht12e_20050402.htm
    This is really incredible. Note that Hyundai is the fastest-growing automaker, except for Maserati (which went from 165 to 309 cars sold--big whoop). And this was with a very old lineup, with the Tucson the only new vehicle since the low-volume Tiburon debuted for 2002. Can you imagine what will happen to Hyundai's sales figures once the all-new Sonata hits dealers, followed by the all-new-Accent, Azera, Santa Fe, and Elantra in the coming months? Within a year Hyundai will have the newest lineup of any automaker. (Kia will be close, but will still have the Amanti and Sorento).
    Of note is that,as a result of the age of the lineup, all Hyundai models carry a substantial rebate, in many cases around 10-15% of the selling price. The real news will be when Hyundai releases its new models and can take price on these excellent vehilces. One would hope that the added margins would result in greater investment in R&D spending, and more and better products! I would imagine the next 2-4 years to be a great time to be a Hyundai salesperson!!

~alpha
  • buzzard767buzzard767 Member Posts: 14
    From the factory web site :

"The Sonata¡¯s big wheel t/tyre combination (225/50 VR17)"

That's the same as a bimmer 545 and it ought to look great with the dual exhaust, even if it isn't fast.
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    backy yes indeed. And most recently I read in either Autoweek that both Toyota and GM view Hyundai as a potential threat to their market share. There should be no doubt that Hyundai is definitely a mover and a shaker. They've learned from their past mistakes and learned what works and what they are doing is working. Their growing sales numbers back that up.
  • greenidscorpiogreenidscorpio Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. I am probably one of the younger Sonata owners here (26 y/o). I wasn't too sure about Hyundai when I bought my Sonata LX a few years ago but 54K miles later I am a firm believer in H. quality!

I am extremely excited about the new Sonata. Does anyone know if it will include a rear sunshade (will it be powered)? Also, any news on if there will be automatic headlights? Rain-sensing wipers? DVD nav? Backup sensors?

Wishful thinking!

Oh I just can't wait till the new models arrive! My dealer knows so little about the new models that I feel like I'm always informing him when I come in...sort of drives me crazy that he doesn't know when he will get the new models!
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    The new Sonata should be a very good seller for Hyundai.

BTW, apparently, Hyundai owns a little less than 50% of Kia. Who owns the other 50%?
  • smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it in person after reading others' personal accounts of seeing the in showrooms or on the road. According to Kia's website, Hyundai owns 51% . . . I'd guess the other 49% are publicly traded shares on the Korean stock market.
    may very well be family-owned in South Korea. We'll get an answer soon on this, I think. If anybody knows post the answer in here, OK? It may be partially family-owned and the rest publicly-traded stock owned. I recall reading something on this a few weeks ago but don't remember all the details.

Hyundai Sonata on that link looks ever so sweet, guys. If I'm not sadly mistaken that rear-end view shows the same car that we'll be getting here in America. ;);)

Am I the only person that does not see any links or pictures?
  • greenidscorpiogreenidscorpio Member Posts: 2
    Wow that is a fantastic looking car! It has very aggressive looks and great lines all around. After seeing the pics that were just posted I have to say...it doesn't look so average and plain like others claim. THANK YOU qristofer!

Does anyone know if the American version will include blinkers on the sides like the Korean version pictured? What about back-up sensors/radar?

I tried using the hyundaisonata.com website to find out but it has such small pictures pics (at least on my computer) that it is difficult to see if these features are included...or if the vehicle featured is not the LX version. Not to mention the hyundai site is light on information.

I would love to see the MPG for the 3.3 Lambda.
  • pencilpusherpencilpusher Member Posts: 7
    What does anyone think about buying a new Sonata? Get a 2005 now with the $2000 rebate or wait for the new 2006? The new one will probably be more luxurious from what I have read, but also more expensive and probably no cash incentives. I was wondering if the resale value on the old Sonata's would be positively or negatively impacted by the release of the new 2006 model.
    Why not wait a few weeks, drive both, and then decide? The incentives won't disappear on the old Sonatas when the new ones come out. I remember when the all-new '01 Elantra came out, there were big incentives on the '00s. (But when I drove the '01, it was so much better than the '00 I knew I had to have it even though it cost more than the '00.) Might want to keep an eye on stock at your local dealers though, to make sure they still have some '05s when the new ones arrive.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    There are a lot of 05's left. I would take backy's advice and drive both. The 06 will cost you more, but it will probably be worth it.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    The "old" Sonata was rated as CR's most reliable car in the April Auto Issue with something like 2 problems per 100 vehicles. It's a safe bet the '06 won't post the same numbers, at least not the first year out of the gate.
  • nick0924nick0924 Member Posts: 13
    I have read this board for the first time today.

We own a 1993 Honda Accord LX, 4-dr, original owner, we drive a lot, it has
    272,5xx miles, uses no oil, no major problems.
    On highway driving it gets 30 to 31 mpg (we drive a bit over the speed limit).
    Automatic, 4-cyl, 2.4L I think.

We also own a 2003 Sonata, automatic, 4-cylinder. It has 24,XXX miles on it.
    Best highway milage is 28-29 mpg, city (we are not really city, but rural city) is
    so terrible, 21, 22 sometimes 17.

I change oil/filter on the cars every 3,000. I use manufacturer's filters and rings.
    The oil in the Sonata gets really dirty by 3,000 compared to the Honda.

We have gone to 3 Hyundai dealers for service; Lebanon, Reading and Harrisburg
    Pa. They charge so much more than Honda dealers for routine things.
    They are rude, they do not find anything wrong under the warranty; they
    don't hear noise, they don't hear screeches when the car backs out when
    cold (even if you bring it in the day before so that they can get a cold start).
    They do not like warranty work; service manager and mechanic says "we did
    not hear anything".

I find the Hyundai routine service far costlier than Honda service, which is not cheap itself!! And I have key things done by dealers and use dealer parts.

We bought the Sonata in Maryland at Antwerpen Hyundai; that was positive;
    no trade, with rebate we got the car new in May of 2003 for $13,500 internet
    price not including tax and tags (tags were nominal, about $37).

I toured the Hyundai factory in South Korea that makes Sonatas, XGs and
    Kia Amantis (yes the Kia Amantai is made in the Hyundai plant).

The quality control at Hyundai is better than at Kia plants, they are still
    a bit disorganized in Kia assembly.

In Hyundai plant, Bldg-1 has robots and few people monitoring the computers and
    us visitors; its all robots, they stamp and weld the car; the assembly lines
    are not straight line, they go straight, then make a U-turn and come back, then
    another U-turn, over and over, it is more efficient that way.

Building-2 is the "clean room"; specialists "hit" the hoods or doors, etc., to
    make the metal line up (if it does not) and then the cars move and get painted
    by spray robots. Oh, the cars on the 2 moving lines are interchanged, 3
    sonatas, 1 XG, 2 sonatas, I amanati, etc. and the robots know which sheet
    metal to use, which color to paint for each different car.

Bildg-3 is where the humans live, here they assemble the car, I think for every
    2 assembly people there is 1 quality control person who inspects and attaches
    a green sticker or paints a green mark with a small paint roller; there are 2 lines
    moving, in the middle is a rest area in which the workers take a break while
    others substitute. Each car is driven on an oval test track when it is assembled; we drove in the XG; cars with problems are pulled off to the side and problems
    are recorded on reports.

Bldg-4 is where all the engines are made for all Hyundai and Kia vehicles.
    It is fairly automated, but also requires humans at many steps.

Due to a shortage of 6-cylinder pistons, many are purchased from jobbers.
    One reason I bought a 4-cylinder Sonata was to have the proven 4-cyl engine
    rather than the new 6; also for slightly better gas milage, which I think is poor.

My 2003 Sonata looks good, but most things are slighly skimped to reduce
    cost. Sonata prices climbed substantially after the Hyundai strike in which
    Hyundai gave very significant wage increases and reduced the work week
    (over time) from 5.5 days to 5 days (they used to work half of Saturday).

The 2005 Sonata in Korea is the new 2006 Sonata in America, tested in
    Korea first. In person, it looks much closer to the Acura than A6 or Accord.
    The front does not really look that pleasing; my wife thinks it resembles
    the old Elantra. If you look at the new Elantra from the rear, you can see
    resemblance to the current 2003-2005 American Sonata. They seem to
    change the smaller car styling to resemble the bigger cars as the bigger
    car style changes.

WHAT WILL THE GAS MILLEAGE BE ON THE NEW 4 cyl 2.4 ENGINE????

Will it match Honda Accords? I tend to really doubt it. Gas prices are
    going up, up and away and Hyundai has really misjudged that.

Most of the smaller Hyundais and Kias do not get much better milage
    than the Sonata; yet small Toyotas and small Hondas get better milage
    than Accords or Camrys, and Accords and Camrays get better mileage
    than Sonatas.

Hyundai copies other cars too much; Honda has a Honda look that evolves,
    Toyota has a Toyota look that evolves thru time, you can see the change
    and the non-change and the evolution; Hyundai just changes abrubtly, part
    Jaguar, part Mercedes, part Chrysler, etc. in the 2003 Sonata.

Hyundai does not understand that they are a major player and need a Hyundai
    look; they copy too overtly rather than progress in style.

Hyundais are not as good as Hondas or Toyotas and regardless of what you
    write, they do not hold their price as well in resale; Hyundais are better than
    American cars in quality today; they also had a very significant price advantage, which is slowly disappering.

I am writing this like a science report, thinking of facts rather than emotions.

Hyundai is getting better much faster than Honda, Toyata and "Datsun"
    improved, but they are not there yet; maybe this new car will get them there,
    don't know; but most Hyundai service garages are not a good experience;
    that really requires improvement.
    dis
    I am writing this like a science report, thinking of facts rather than emotions.

Actually, much of what you wrote is opinion--which is fine, but let's separate facts from opinion/emotion. All the comments on styling, for example, are purely subjective. And I disagree with most of them. For example, I don't think there is any similarity whatsoever between the new Sonata and the "old Elantra", if by that you mean the '96-'00 Elantra. I also see little resemblence between the "new Elantra" (if you mean the current generation) and the old Sonata. And I own two Elantras from that generation. If anything, the rear end of the current Elantra sedan is reminicent of the XG.

As for the look of Hondas and Toyotas... take a good look at the Accord, Civic, CR-V, Element, Pilot, SU2000, Odyssey. Do you see much similarity across those models? I don't. How about the Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Matrix, RAV4, 4Runner. I don't see much family resemblence across those models either. The hatchback Corolla (Matrix) looks like a totally different car than the sedan, for example. But if you look at current Hyundai models, you do see some family resemblence between the XG and Elantra, Accent and Elantra, Sonata and XG. And looking at the new models, there is a family personality taking shape with the crisper, less busy lines of the Tuscon, Sonata, Accent, and Santa Fe. The Azera has distinctive flowing lines, but I think that may be intentional to set that car apart in the lineup.

As for facts on mpg: '01 Elantra, 2.0L, 5-speed: 27-30 city, 38-41 hwy average mpg. '04 Elantra, 2.0L, automatic: 24-26 city, 38 hwy. From what I've read in the Civic and Corolla discussions, these numbers are not far off the mpg numbers for those smaller-engined, lower-powered cars. Can the new Sonata achieve close to the numbers for the Accord and Camry? We'll see.

Thanks for all the details on the manufacturing process--very interesting!
    From Consumer Reports tests of the Civic 1.7L VTEC, the Elantra 2.0L and the Corolla 1.8L, all tested with automatics (Civic and Elantra May 2005, Corolla June 2002):

Figures are City/Highway/Overall on CR's loop which they put every car through:

Civic: 21/40/29
    Elantra: 16/33/24
    Corolla: 20/40/29

Note: Only the Corolla hit 60 MPH in under 10 seconds in their testing, as well.

Backy, the new Sonata may be a different story (I actually would bet the house on it), but historically, Hyundai's engines have not compared to the efficiency profiles of those in competing Hondas/Toyotas.

~alpha
    I will withhold replying in detail to avoid getting further off topic. But one thing to consider is that the Beta engine takes significant miles to "loosen up", and after that point fuel economy increases markedly; for my Elantras, on the order of 15-20%. So what CR and other testers get on their tests will be less than what owners get over time. I don't know if that is true with Hondas and Toyotas or not, but I've owned both and didn't notice such a big difference as with the Hyundais.

So I wonder if the new engines in the Sonata will have that characteristic, since they are a new design?
  • nick0924nick0924 Member Posts: 13
    I did not mean similarity between Sonata, SantaFe, etc., but a visible evolutionary
    similarity between Sonata to Sonata as the years progress. You can look at
    Accords, or Civics or Cavaliers thru time and see changes, non-changes and
    evolutionary changes that still resemble the previous years' cars of that model.

Hyundai sometimes just starts all over and copies at that. When one is confident,
    one changes one's own look rather than trying to dress or look like someone
    else. Hyundai Sonata needs to look like a Hyundai Sonata and then evolve, rather
    then excel in a collage of other competitors. Collage lacks unity. I don't think
    Jaguar copied anyone that strongly, I don't think Accord copies anyone that
    strongly, but Hyundai seems to think to make it, they need the rear of the
    Sonata to look like X, and side to look like Y and front to look like Z. Make it look
    like an evolving Sonata. You will then gain both confidence and stature.
    The car is too good to need that much copying, it hurts it.

I don't mean to fight or disagree with anyone, it is what I perceive.
    I will not be posting again and again regarding these issues as I have seen
    others do. These are my first two posts to the boards; I went thru them all today searching for what the estimated mileage will be on the 2006 4 cyl automatic Sonata.

If anyone knows that, or if I missed it, please post it for me. I would like to
    replace the 2003 Sonata if mileage is better; I need a Korean car, my wife is
    Korean but the city/mixed mileage really kills us.

The 2005 Elantra, if you look at the rear taillights, trunk, etc., as well as one
    of the smaller Kias has some very similar looks to the 2003-2005 American
    Sonata; and that is OK; I'm just pointing out that they appear to give the smaller
    cars the look of the previous larger car as the larger car look changes. It is a good
    idea because if one can only afford a smaller car, they still can get the look of
    what the bigger model used to look like and look forward later to moving up.

I am not a typical car owner, we put very many miles on our cars, keep them long
    and service them religiously. I have been disappointed that the smaller 4 cyl engine
    (which is enough power for us) in the automatic Sonata gets less mileage than
    the 1993 automatic Accord on highways and much, much less in city/mixed
    driving. New Accords and Toyota Camrys get more mileage in city/hiway than
    their older models, thus Hyundai has somehow misjudged the situation; I think the difference between an automatic Elantra and automatic Sonata is not
    great, but the difference between an automatic Civic and automatic
    Accord is greater.

As I wrote before, Hyundai has made great strides in improvement at a much
    faster rate than Honda, Toyota and Datsun did; it took Japan a long time to
    eliminate problems, mechanical, rust, everything; their main thing initially
    was price; those early Accords used to rust everywhere, evene around the windshield.

Hyundai engine life is probably second to Honda, which is really great.

The automation in their new Hyundai factories is unparalled, second to none.
    We were very fortunate to get the tour; my wife's family has a small business
    that makes offsite parts for the Hyundai and Kia cars. They also purchse
    cylinders with rings for the six cylinder engines from someone else and resell
    to Hyundai; now that scares me. Hyundai cannot make enough of the pistons
    though they do make the blocks and heads and valves.

We had to wait 16 months to get touch-up paint for the Sonata in our
    white color (not pearl white but noble white). Some things like head
    gaskets are unavailble for Kias in America because they (Hyundai) did not forsee
    them as failing that quickly. So Kia dealers have to cut them from generic
    material and they leak. These are some of the problems that I'm sure they will
    outgrow in time but can be troublesome now.

Does anyone have an estimate of gas mileage for the 2006 4-cyl automatic Sonata?
    EPA 24 city, 33 highway (34 highway with stick shift).

http://www.hyundaisonata.com/Specifications.aspx

BTW, respectful disagreement is common in these discussions. Disagreement is not attacking someone, but expressing a difference of opinion. It is not expected everyone on these discussions will agree on every point.
  • codata99codata99 Member Posts: 123
    The Amanti is built at Kia's own assembly plant in Hwasung.

When did this "tour" take place? :confuse:

http://www.motorista.com.ph/features/feature_100103c.html