Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• nick0924nick0924 Member Posts: 13
    We toured the Ching Chong Namdo plant, or within 2 or 3 miles of that town.
    It is in south west Korea near the ocean to facilitate ship transporting.

They make Sonatas, XG, and Amanti there plus engines for all Hyundai and
    Kia cars.

The tour was given by the manager of my wife's family's off-site factory.

He is not a Hyundai employee, but used to be; his stature was enough to get
    us in and he gave the tour himself; most of the floor managers knew him.
    We took all the time we wanted in each of the 4 buildings.
    We must have been there at least 3 hours.
    In building-1, where the robots stamp and weld, the sparks actually came
    onto the floor where we were walking. There were no hardhats or safety glasses; we had to use our own judgement in where we stood and how close we got.

Not many people are permitted to get this tour; we were most fortunate.

Behind the buildings is one of the world's largest parking lots of newly
    build cars. In korea, dealers only have a few cars in the showroom; you look
    at a vehicle and then the literature, pick a car and color and it gets delivered from
    the factory to the dealer and you then see it for the first time.

No huge inventories by dealers, inventoryies are at the factories.

Appears the Amanti may be built at 2 sites per your information.
  • codata99codata99 Member Posts: 123
    Well, I can tell you Hyundai does not make them. I know one supplier for the Sonata/XG engines; not sure they make all the pistons, but I'll certainly ask them about the piston shortage.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    No navigation system is mentioned on the 2006 Sonata website. I also wonder if the MP3-compatible CD player can list ID3 tags (artist/title/folder) on a display :confuse:
  • codata99codata99 Member Posts: 123
    Google "Asan plant Sonata" to learn about the Hyundai plant. You'll get tons of links. here's one.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/specialreports/hyundai/StoryBusinessbrett16w.htm
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's hard to fathom why anyone would lie about seeing Amantis made in a particular factory.

There were at least two errors of fact in the Montgomery news article. Were they pulling a shenanigan, or maybe just made some mistakes?
  • kidokido Member Posts: 3
    I have a KDM version of sonata. it displays only file name
  • hyundaikiksasshyundaikiksass Member Posts: 1
    Twenty four thousand three hundred dollars is not steep. That's a loaded LX ! The Camry LE is not the top of the line like the LX. Go and try to buy a brand spankin new Camry with everything for twenty four thousand three hundred dollars! ;)
  • toyunkitoyunki Member Posts: 25
    Hi I disagree with nick0924 .

I also have 2000 Sonata with 80,000 miles on it I changed my oil every 5000-6000 miles and averaging 30-31 MPG about 70% highway. With one tank of gas before refill I went about 470 miles.... In trips when I drive over 70 MPH than MPG drops to 27-28 MPG. Even with occasional revving to redline I am constantly getting very high MPG. In fact it is better than my friends 97 integra Auto....

And I am in Atlanta GA. and Jim Ellise Hyundai and Kia service is great.

$27.95 for oil change + Car wash + Vacuum.

The brother's car is 2000 tiburon and has 135,000 miles on it and the engine seems pretty good.

And about gas mileage, Honda and Toyota is known for fooling the EPA.
    For Example.

Kia Rio's EPA rating is 29/32
    toyota Echo is like 37/42

According to Motorweek.org real testing.
    (both manual)
    Rio gets 34 mpg
    echo gets 35 mpg.

so EPA and real drive is different. EPA testing does not drive car, it only put the car on stationary wheels and measure and calculate the MPG.

Motorweek show showed it once.

And Korean Government's official testing show's
    2.4 Sonata tops comparable Camry and Accord in fuel efficiency.

2.4 hyundai designed engine will be a single best selling engine in the World according to Global Auto, it will be produced more than 2.5 million units around the world. Produced in DC and MItsu.....

Experience is all different. I saw Nissan Sentra's engine block has cracked when it had less than 40,000 miles, and Honda Civic's engine failure at around 70,000 miles.

According ti reliability rating by MSN auto (the rating is done by private mechanics)
    HONDA and TOYOTA does not seems too good.
    Toyota had major engine problems
    Honda has auto tranny and engine problems.

Accord's
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?modelid=9800&src=vip#Tran

Sonata's
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/reviews.aspx?modelid=10280&trimid=-1&src=ratings&tab=4#r- - el

Camry's
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?modelid=10158&src=vip#Engi

Opinion or expirience is objective. Back up your opinion's with references.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    Well, a Camry LE isn't $24K+ either. I think the problem Hyundai will run into if it tries to price the Sonata at parity with Camry and Accord is the potential loss of loyalty sales. The reality is what's got the butts in the seats of the great bulk of Hyundais on the road today is the value equation. It's the very reason why there's an Elantra in my garage rather than a Civic or Corolla. I couldn't refuse the deal!

I'm sure the new Sonata will be a good - possibly even great - car, but it's going to need to grab conquest sales from Toyota and Honda to reach its sales goals and I think that's going to be more difficult for Hyundai than they are expecting sans any big rebates.

Hyundai is making quality cars nowadays, I can attest to that but they've got two big issues to overcome yet: dealer service and stigma. Like someone else has posted here, my experience with the local dealer in Bloomington, MN, Metro Hyundai, has been dreadful at best. The only way I'd buy another car from them is if they gave me a fire sale price and threw in a set of floor mats.

As far as stigma, that still irritates me at times. Whenever someone asks me what I drive and I say, "a Hyundai," the response is invariably negative. This is reality - fair or not. But I can deal with it on a $13K car. A $24K car on the other hand...
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    I think a 2006 Sonata will be about $2000 less than similarly equipped Accords, Camrys, and Altimas.
  • mononeomononeo Member Posts: 89
    One of the interesting things about car buyers today is how much they have been changing their habits recently. For example, I've read many places how resale value, which used to be a pivotal issue for car buyers, is now becoming not nearly as important as it once was... Which sucks for Hyundai because now that they are actually having good resale (Santa Fe has best resale of any small SUV according to ALG), but what I really wanted to address is price.

People will pay the same amount for a Hyundai Sonata than a Honda Accord if they get more stuff.

When it looks like Sonata pricings is taking a hike upstream, it is, but so is the car. For example, the price of a V6 Sonata used to be less than a four-cylinder Accord or Camry. Now, the Sonata's V6 will cost about the same as the four-cylinder Camry or Accord. People aren't going to care what name is on the car if what they are getting is exactly what they want. People sometimes won't know they want a Hyundai until they look at them, and then have the epiphone that they've been wasting their money on badges all along. I have a Honda family. My father drives a Civic. My brother drives a Civic. I drive an Accord (soon to be Santa Fe or Sonata). My mom DROVE an Accord. My sister DROVE a Civic. After starting to have problems with her Civic, I got my sister to look at Kias. She's had three Kia Spectras now, and tries to get everyone she knows to get a Kia. My mother, she drove an Accord, now drives an Optima and after having it for about a week, no longer felt like it was a second-class car. So what I'm trying to get at is that sometimes people don't know what they want until they experience it.

I can assure you that the Sonata GLS V6 will cost about the same as the Accord EX four-cylinder. What's going to get people to buy that car? Well, the extra 77 horses, better safety, and a warranty. This sounds redundant, but it isn't. The Sonata V6 used to try to compete with the 4-cylinder Accords and failed. Now the V6 Sonata competes with the 4-cylinder Accords, and this time all carda are on the table.

Most people that look at a Hyundai will buy a Hyundai. If you go to your dealership and talk to a salesperson, they will tell you that it is not because of price, ever. VALUE is separate from pricing. Cheap doesn't mean good deal. Expensive doesn't mean bad deal. It all depends. Accords and Camroids are no longer the value they are meant to be, and are thus slowly becoming about as irrelevant as they deserve to become (especially the Camry: if I see another commercial trying to make a Camry SE look both glamourous and sporty, I will vomit all over myself). If you ask what really gets people to not think twice on these cars, it is that warrantly. Not the prices.

Another thing that people aren't taking into account for how popular this Sonata is going to be is how appealing it is to women. Why has the Santa Fe been such a success?? WOMEN LOVE THEM MORE THAN ANY OTHER SUV. Even if you go onto Edmunds' consumer reviews and read the reviews made by women, you will see how it would seem as though the Santa Fe is seemingly tailor made for women. I think that Hyundai does little things that women place as great importance that men do not, but that ultimately benefit men as well. Whenever my women friends are in any of the Hyundais my social circles own, they are about as entranced as they get when they are in a Volkswagen (which I would say entrance people more than any other comparable car). It is my opinion that women are more practical and personal for when it comes to their cars, and I think Hyundai knows this and plays with it. Sunglasses holders integrated into maplights? Vanity mirrors with lighting? Multi-level center console? Rear armrest? Fog lights? Safety at no additional charge? Power everything standard? TIPTRONIC is a big one. Dampened glovebox? Much quieter cabin than competition? Now obviously these are all things that men can appreciate as well, but that they would not care about before such things as overall power and brand-appeal. It is a fact that statistically, most men will buy either DX or EX Civics, whereas women buy nearly only LX Civics. All of these things I've listed are things that a woman would take into account when buying a car and appreciate the entire time, while a man may not even realize or care until much later. A good example would be if you asked a woman if she'd rather have a car that was quiet inside with adequate power, or a car that's loud inside with a lot of power, most women will say the former while men will say the latter.

So what does that have to do with the new Sonata? The new Sonata is still going to be everything it once was, which appealed to women (much like the Santa Fe), only now it is ALSO going to be everything it never has been. People, I think especially women, would pay the same for a Sonata as an Accord if their prices were the same with the same levels of equipment, but this isn't the case. The Sonata is going to have much more standard equipment than the comparable cars of the other brands. Don't get disenchanted with the pricing of this car. Iti s much worth it, and I am certain that this car will sell much better than the previous model.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    I would wonder how reliable the new Sonata is gonna to be! In terms of price, it is the champ. Also the fact is that Sonata got very good "initial" price and best-in-class "initial" quality. However, just wonder does it have a good value (reliable, no/low maintance<-- my perception of "value" of a car)? will it be able to last at least 200k+ miles?Although accord/camry hs shorter warrantee compare to Sonata, they prove and reputate that they have excellent reliability and capable reach to 200K+ easily. On the other hand, Sonata offers better warantee and gives a sense that it is just as reliable as other competitors and "worth to try" to buy one. In term of value, if sonata could last for 200k+ miles and just as reliable as Camry/accord, that would be excellent. However, if it falls short after 100k, then it has only great initial price and unimpressive value. Currently, Honda/Toyota have excellent "value" because it lasts long. Nonetheless, time will tell how reliable the Korean auto makers like Hyundai/Kia (sonata) are!
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    switching to the Alabama plant-- I'd be a bit more hesitant to buy in the first year however. My 01 Elantra in the first year of production gave me absolutely no trouble-- however that wasn't an entirely new venue.
    Has anyone noticed that on the Sonata's website it now lists the gas mileage for GLS four cylinder manuals??

It looks as though you'll be able to get a sportier Sonata with a manual afterall. Not just base model.
    Uh, yes, I posted the mpg ratings here a few days ago. :)
  • thndrstmthndrstm Member Posts: 47
    How does the new 2006 Sonata MPG compare with the old one.?
    Interesting... because of course it also lists the 4spd auto as standard equipment on the GLS.

This is the very reason I took the new Sonata off my list a few months ago (though I've still been following its release) - because it appeared it would never meet my "holy options trifecta": cloth seats, manual transmission and factory power sunroof.

If I could get a Sonata with the sunroof (an option on the GLS but not the GL) without being forced into a model with a slushbox, this car will again be at or near the top of my list.
  • spinzerospinzero Member Posts: 91
    New 2006 Hyundai Sonata Pricing Announced
    FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., April 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America
    has announced pricing for the all-new 2006 Sonata, Hyundai's best-selling model. The first 2006 Sonata rolled off the production line in March at Hyundai's all-new manufacturing plant in Montgomery, Ala.

The 2006 Hyundai Sonata is an all-new vehicle featuring refined and
    sophisticated styling, all-new powertrains, class-leading standard safety
    features including six airbags and segment-first standard Electronic Stability Control, and an interior package so roomy its U.S. government size classification is "large car," slotting it a class above Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

"We're proud of the value equation we've engineered into the all-new
    Sonata, with pricing that is $2,000 to $4,000 below comparably equipped
    mid-size competitors," said Robert F. Cosmai, President and CEO of Hyundai Motor America.

2006 Hyundai Sonata Manufacturer Suggested Retail Pricing:
    Sonata GL 4-cyl, 5-speed manual $17,895
    Sonata GL 4-cyl, 4-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $18,795
    Sonata GLS 4-cyl, 4-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $19,395
    Sonata GLS 3.3-liter V6, 5-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $20,895
    Sonata LX 3.3-liter V6, 5-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $22,895
    The destination charge is $600.

Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif. is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Company of Korea. Hyundai cars and sport utility vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced by more than 650 Hyundai dealerships nationwide.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - -------------------------------
    Let's hear some opinions!
    With automatic 4-cylinder Camry LEs and Accord LXes going for under $18k (or $1500+ less than the automatic Sonata GL), the discounts/rebates will need to start almost immediately on the new Sonata unless it is a clearly superior car in the minds of the buying public. The GLS V6 is probably the best deal of any of the models--with even a little discount and maybe a loyalty rebate, it can go for under $20k. That does undercut the competition.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Personally, I think that pricing schedule is phenomenal, and I would love to know for how much the Premium Sport Pkg on the GLS V6 will retail. I dont think rebates are necessary immediately, and even significant discounts to MSRP seem unlikely in the first 4 or so months, given the incredibly comprehensive package that seems to be offered here. Perhaps I read too quickly, but how much is the destination charge, and is that included in the prices shown above?

~alpha
    Ok, so the destination was even bolded in that post. My bad. Still, I would imagine its those prices PLUS the $600, correct?

~alpha
    It's interesting that you choose to use the word "phenomenal" to describe the pricing schedule. It certainly is open for interpretation.

Again, it seems a bit spendy to me. Since it's still all speculation at this point (I don't think anyone here has driven one yet - I could be wrong), we're just arguing paper specifications. But, on paper, I'd go with a Camry SE 4cyl. 5-spd manual. It's a known commodity, has great resale and I can equip it exactly to my preference - three things the Sonata doesn't have going for it (at least not yet).
    $600 as noted above, and that's NOT included in the prices that were listed.

I think dealers will try no discounts at first since it's a brand-new car, and some people who must have the Latest and Greatest will buy at that price, but we saw that even with the all-new Tucson that Hyundai and dealers started discounting pretty quickly. It's not like there are no other excellent alternatives in the Sonata's class. Some positiive reviews by respected auto mags/rags will help keep the prices up. I haven't seen many yet, but they should be flowing pretty soon with the cars on their way to dealerships.

I'd love to find some way to get a test drive of a Sonata while I'm in Seoul for the next few days, but not quite sure how a dealer would react to some guy from the U.S. coming in and asking to drive a car--it's not like I'd buy it from them. ;)

I think Hyundai is missing an opportunity here. You'd think they'd look into their database and find "loyal" Hyundai owners who might be looking to upgrade--people like me for instance who own a five-year-old Elantra! Then send them a special invitation to come see/drive the new Sonata on a speical introduction night at their local dealership. Anyway, that's what I would do if I were in charge of HMA marketing...
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Remember, the Sonata has stability control standard, something that the Accord doesn't even offer as an option.

I'm not knocking the Accord. In fact, my wife drives a 2004 Accord EX V6 and its a great car.
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    " ...my wife drives a 2004 Accord EX V6 and its a great car."

Your wife loves her Accord and a friend of mine loves his CR-V. Yet both cars have tremendous amounts of road noise. The reason most people say their car is quiet is they have never owned a quiet car. Once you own one, it is hard to change.

I equate road noise to CHEAP. Honda could make its cars and SUVs quieter, but that would require spending money.

Therefore, when I hear road noise, the car is the epitome of CHEAP.

The new Sonata is suppose to be quieter than the Camry. So it will be much better that the Honda. The reasons I could never buy a Accord are road noise and too firm a ride.

Consumer Report loves ever Honda ever built, but they have almost the same comment on all Honda vehicles. Road Noise.

I look forward to trying the new Sonata.
  • chungchung Member Posts: 7
    NFSonata base price for

2400cc is 18495
    3300cc is 21495

This is announced in Korea by the Hyundai's president this morning..

I am thinking of buying one.. but they raised the price way too high although they offer so many standard features compare to Toyota and Honda.. what are you guys opinions??
    The reasons I could never buy a Accord are road noise and too firm a ride.

Accord has a firm ride? Man, you're a proper american. :P

I have read multiple times in Korean news that the reporters found the new sonata to be above both campry and accord in terms of road noise, and inbetween the two in terms of handling/ride. (But then most Korean reporters are complete morons when it comes down to cars, so don't trust it 100%.)

As far as pricing goes, I'm sure they will keep it well under competition one way or other. Considering the dominance they have in the Korean domestic market and their success in China and India, I'm sure they can afford to, and intend to play a hard ball in pricing here in USDM for at least few more years.

As always, the key is to get one before everyone figures out that they're good.
  • bartbikerwbartbikerw Member Posts: 36
    V6 sonata is still $2000 dollars less in MSRP then V6 Camry SE, and has more options standard, so I don't see the better deal. You can't compare the current camry prices with the MSRP of sonata because Camry is a 4 year old design. I'm sure there will be rebates with sonata in time as well.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Sorry the info is a little late, my wife just had our third and I've been slightly preoccupied.
    There are no options on the base GL model.
    On the GLS a sunroof is $850
    Premium package gives you sunroof, auto dimming mirror with homelink, and power drivers seat for $1350
    On the GLS V6 sunroof is $850
    Premium sport package gives you the same as the premium in the 4cyl plus 17" wheels for $1500
    On the LX you can get a sunroof and cd changer packaged for $1400
    EPA's MPG is 24/33. So even though the new Sonata is bigger, it gets better MPG than the old one.
    24/33 for manual? If that's the case, that's identical to Camry and slightly worse than Accord. I say that's right up there with the very best.
    I think thats for the automatic 4 cylinder.. The rep I spoke to knew I wasn't interested in a manual.
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    From the Hyundai Motor America news website:

I4 manual - 24/34
    I4 automatic - 24/33
    V6 automatic - 20/30

For comparison purposes, here's the Accord Sedan's mileage:

I4 manual - 26/34
    I4 automatic - 24/34
    V6 automatic - 21/30

And the Camry's:

I4 manual - 24/33
    I4 automatic - 24/34
    V6 automatic - 20/29

The Sonata's numbers are surprising, and very competitive with the Accord's and Camry's mileage figures. I honestly did not expect the V6 to achieve 20 mpg City, much less 30 mpg Highway. That is quite an accomplishment for such a large engine (3342 cc). Good job, Hyundai.
    I am spotting many NF Sonatas in Seoul. Interesting thing is, they are almost all silver. I've seen one white one and one muted blue one. In fact, almost ALL the cars here are silver, white, or black--just a smattering of blues and reds. So that might explain the limited color palette for the new Sonata--although they could certainly tune it for U.S. tastes. For example, I read recently that brown (!) is an emerging color for cars.

The Sonata looks great on the street--very sophisticated and modern compared to the current Sonata, which looks ancient side-by-side in comparison. It has a trim appearance that belies the fact it is actually a "large" car by EPA volume specs, not midsized like the Camry and Accord. I hope to examine one up close at a dealership this weekend.
    One thing that people aren't realizing on here with pricing:

We are saying things like "the Sonata LX is ONLY $2000 less than a Camry SE V6" or whatever... I would like to point out that the LX has leather and 17" rims, and much more than a lowly Camry V6 does. An Accord LX V6 (which on the Accord is the equivalent of the GL Sonata with a V6) where I live goes for about $24-25k. I think that a Sonata LX V6 will probably not be hard to obtain for $21k. A Hyundai dealer is going to be more flexible with pricing than other dealerships.

As for the comment Backy said earlier about an invitation night at the Hyundai dealership; that would be nearly impossible to track down all of the old Hyundai owners or too costly to advertise just to them. I would suggest that it would be excellent public relations (and I know PR) for them to have a once a month night where they bring people in (all the public, not just Hyundai owners), and show them how to do things dealing with cars. One month they could show people how to change their oil, another they could show a video and have a discussion about safe driving techniques and emergency vehicle maneuvers. Something like this would go over extremely well with parents of 15-18 year olds, as they could peg it as educational. This would be a no sales atmosphere of course. I think it could work, and for the advertisement to work it would have to be a national campaign.

For things like Sonata sales, it seems to me that pretty much anyone that will come and look at them and deal with them will go away with one. They just need to get more people looking at them, and they need to explore ideas like this.
    People where you live pay way too much for their Accords. MSRP on the LX V6 is $24,465 and Edmunds' TMV is $23k in my town. I know they go for less in places like Chicago.

I know that Hyundai has no problems tracking down old (old?????) Hyundai owners like me, because they do it all the time. I get numerous mailings from Hyundai and local dealers aimed at specific classes of owners--"bring in your Elantra and buy a new car for no more than you are paying now!!!" (well, I'm paying zero now so I have to read the fine print there). Then of course there's the occasional recall notice. They have no trouble finding me on those either. So they do have the database and they know how to do targeted mailing campaigns for Hyundai owners. And they do them pretty often. This is not rocket science, for anyone who understands using database analytics for target marketing, and not all that expensive--no more expensive than a national advertising campaign targeting Hyundai owners I think. (BTW, the chance is slim to none that Hyundai will ever mount a campaign to bring owners into dealers to show people how to change oil on their Hyundais--think of all the service revenue the dealers would lose. Safe driving tips, maybe. It wouldn't interest me personally as I have better sources for that information, but maybe some people would find it useful.)
    For the record, the Camry SE V6 doesnt have leather standard, but it does have 17 inch alloys standard.

~alpha
    From another board
    -----------------------------------------------

Here it is, the "official" first drive. A central region parts manager has one. I was able to take it out and drive it. It is a GLS V6 with Cinnamon exterior and tan interior. 16" wheel package. Seemed to be a base package. It is a production car, not a test car.

Exterior: The fit and finish are incredible. There are NO uneven gaps or paint blemishes. The doors have a satisfying thunk.It looks alot less like an Elantra front end in person. The exhaust outlets are alot bigger than they look like in pictures. Kinda disappointed the break away side mirrors are gone. They are now like the Altima's, fixed to the door.

Interior: It's just like the pictures folks. Tight seams, soft touch dash and door panels. The shifter moves into gear without any hitching. Decent size steering wheel, not a racing type wheel, but decent size. Ergonomics are top notch. Only complaint is the mute button on the wheel is a little out of the way and if you smoke, you'll have to reach for the ash tray. Materials are on easily on par with Honda and Toyota. Vanity lights are intuititvely placed in the roof so as not to shine in your eyes. Didn't really pay much attention to the cloth seats, they were comfortable and supportive, but I had things to do and a short time to do them in. I had 235 horsies to play with.

Engine bay: All covered up, Not much to share here but it purrs when it's running. All of the fluids are easily reached. Very little effort in opening the hood.

Trunk: This thing is big. 2 bodies with space.

Acceleration: First off I am guessing the 0-60 times will be somewhere from 6-6.5 sec. It's very very deceptive how fast you're going and how quickly you get there. The transmission is transparent and confident. I do hate gated shifters but I'm sure I'll adjust. Long story short is the exhaust note is minimal, was hoping for a little growl, but hey it's a family sedan.

Handling: THis is the part that totally threw me. I didn't see this coming. This car has no body roll. If it's there it unseen. The AGCS is incredible. Also the ESP seems to have a very high thresh hold as it doesn't impede unless you really lose it. Steering is tight if not a little numb. There is also no torque steer. I expected it to rip the steering wheel out of my hands but nope, nothing. Flat out the Sonata has suddenly thought itself a sport sedan. Very little under/or over steer was ever present, which I'm sure was the ESP kicking in and out. To me, this is the part of the car that is huge. yes it's fast, but a family sedan shouldn't handle like this.

Ride: The ride is similar to the XG's except not so floaty. Very controlled. Interior noise is nill, sound dampening was done very well. The new suspension soaks up the bumbs well without translating it to the steering wheel. Interested to see the difference between wheel sizes.

Bottom line: For the money, you cannot touch this car. Acttually, for $27K you can't touch this car. If you don't believe it, drive one when you get the chance. Some Japanese faithful may consider this an unholy statement, but the Sonata isn't chasing Japan anymore. The only other midsize that can think would be closely comparable is the Altima and that doesn't ride as well. It will run circles around an Accord, and I think I'll leave the Camry out of this.
    If you're comparing V6 to V6, the Sonata may well be a better deal. But when you compare a Camry SE 4cyl. to a Sonata NF 4cyl. (as I am), the picture looks different. In my eyes, the Camry is a much more desirable - namely because it's available with a stick. And then you throw in the fact that the sunroof is standard on it... game set match.

Additional features are great so long as they're features you want. To me, an automatic transmission - whether it's a column mounted shifter or a floor mounted "faux" stick - is like a bunion. True, it's an additional "feature", but I sure don't want one.

To me, the new Sonata is aesthetically pleasing but it's becoming more and more apparent that it's designed for folks who enjoy riding in cars (low road noise, soft ride, automatic this and that, interior wood applique, etc.) much more than driving them. If you're the former type of buyer rather than the latter, the Sonata is likely to be a very compelling choice and a good value.
  • sonatabobsonatabob Member Posts: 15
    -for the very informative review. No doubt sales will be brisk on the '06 and there will be even more converts like myself. I applaud Hyundai for bringing so much sophistication to the mid-size market at a great price. That's what value is. Sure I know my '05 will be overshadowed but I personally think the '02 thru '05 styling is distinctive and classy. It's a car that will look good for many years to come. Sure another 67hp over my V6 would be nice but honestly to what end?! Frankly if a car can get from 0-60mph in 9 or 10 seconds the rest of the power is a waste of fuel.
    it's becoming more and more apparent that it's designed for folks who enjoy riding in cars (low road noise, soft ride, automatic this and that, interior wood applique, etc.) much more than driving them.

I have no doubt in my mind that what you said is indeed the case. Hyundai is clearly aiming at Toyota, and while that doesn't necessarily mean their cars have to be as boring as Toyota's, they certainly share the utilitarian view of automobiles.

Not that it appeals to me. I own a WRX wagon, and I would much rather buy a Legacy GT or Mazda 6 if I was in the market for a midsize. Rather, my interest in Hyundai is mainly due to the fact that I'm a Korean, and I also happened to be very much interested in automobile industry in general.

But I still think Hyundai is in the right path. They are very determined to survive as an independent auto maker in the future, and they also know that only way to do so in the over-supplied auto industry is to become one of the top 5~6 global manufacturers. They can't afford to aim at niche market. They need to make what most people want, cars that are reliable and versatile. Heck, I know if I had a child, or if my wife couldn't drive manual, I would be driving something that's not quite as electric blue.

In the end, if you want a driver's car in this segment, I'm sure there will be better choices. But I have a very good feeling that Hyundai can make a lot of convert from potential camry and accord buyers. And that's what Hyundai needs anyway.
    The ONLY thing I'm going to disagree with you on is the Camry comment relative to the Sonata NF. I would put the Sonata just a tad further down the boring scale than Camry, quite a sedate sedan itself. I really think Hyundai is shooting more for the Buick shopper than it is the Toyota shopper with this new model. Think about it - it's Buick quiet, Buick isolated and Buick large. And against the LaCrosse, it is indeed a bargain.

The reason for my disappointment with the new Sonata is that I'm looking for a replacement for my current commuter car, a 5spd Elantra, and thought a manual transmission Sonata might be a good fit. Being that I intend to use the car 95% of the time to get to and from work (120 mile round trip daily commute on Minnesota roads with frost heaves and plenty o' broken pavement), a Ford Mustang or Mini Cooper (the two cars I have a strong emotional attraction to) would just be too impractical. I'm willing to make some sacrifices for a ride that doesn't spit the morning coffee out of my bladder before I get to the office, but no way in heck am I giving up the clutch or the sunroof. Life's too short for that.

As it's looking now, Ford may snatch the value spot in the midsize segment with its new Fusion, another model I'm very interested in. If it does, where will that put Hyundai?
    Where it will put Hyundai is in good shape with it's all-new 2007 Elantra, which will likely be Fusion-sized--bigger than today's model. And it will probably have a stick shift with moonroof available. Why not wait a few months for the new Elantra?

Apparently you haven't read the Sonata reviews that have been posted here recently. It seems the Sonata doesn't ride anything like a Buick, especially in LX trim. I've never heard anyone call a Buick "fun to drive". If you want warmed-over Taurus styling, go for the LaCrosse. Me, I prefer the crisp lines of the new Sonata. Seeing them all over Seoul the past few days has made me appreciate the new styling even more than before. "Understated elegance" is how I'd describe it.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    From the reviews, it seems to have the hesitation problem... hyundai just copy too much from toyota!

"And once, during a merge onto a highway from about 40 mph, a full plant of the throttle resulted in a delay of a second or two before the transmission downshifted and the Sonata delivered the necessary power. "
    I was waiting for the new Elantra, but looking for a fall release. Clearly, that's no longer in the cards. It's not like my '02 Elantra is on the verge of blowing up or anything, but for other reasons, I'd like to replace it sometime before the end of the year.

A while back, someone posted a link on this thread to a British car mag. review of the Sonata NF and it wasn't exactly the most flattering thing I've read. There is a recent post here (in the last couple of days) by someone that's driven it, but because it reads press release style and the gentleman has an apparent connection to Hyundai, I don't feel the assessment is without bias. I'd bet money, the car falls somewhere between the two reviews (not a floaty boat like that auto journalist described nor a crisp performance sedan like the release posted here). It is what it is. And though I'm not usually one to defend Buick, from what I've read about the LaCrosse, it - at least in top-line guise - is an enjoyable albeit sedate driver.

As far as the sizing on the new Elantra, I doubt Hyundai will push it into the mid-size class where it could steal sales away from the higher margin Sonata. The Fusion should be a very similar size to the Sonata (according to the Ford folks, it will be on a slightly lengthened Mazda 6 platform), considerably larger than the Elantra.
    "I really think Hyundai is shooting more for the Buick shopper than it is the Toyota shopper with this new model. Think about it - it's Buick quiet, Buick isolated and "Buick large."

No one is going after Buick. While this car will be quiet, it will not match a LaCrosse or the new Lucern. Buick is going after Lexus and I doubt they will fair well. Hyundai is really aiming at Toyota and Honda.

What Toyota and Honda give you in a vehicle is usually very good, but they will not give you this type of equipment for the cost. Long term value is open to discussion.

As far as the Ford Fusion. This will be a first year Ford build in Mexico. While it may be styled right, the reliability will stink, stank, stunk. Previous losers built in Mexico include the New Beetle and the Chey Suburban. Both first and second year reliability was the pits. If they offered it with a 10y/100k warrantee it would be a long shot.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...with the baloney about country-of-origin vs quality.

Mexican plants produce EXACTLY the quality that the corporate parent engineers into the car and the assembly process and the supplier base. Period.

The PT Cruiser is one of the most reliable cars on the domestic scene - from Mexico. Toyota just cranked up a plant there, and you can believe they won't stand for any jokes about the products that come out of it. VW has had its problems, because VW can't produce reliable cars in any of their plants, anyplace in the world.

I'm betting the Fusion will be just fine, and the Sonata too, though I wouldn't buy either [or ANY other car, for that matter] in the first model year - always a risk. If the Sonata does slip a little, you can be sure it will be because it's "built in America", not Korea, right? As if Korea, in anything but the recent past, was some kind of model for how these things are done.

Where the car is assembled is absolutely of the closest thing to zero importance as there is - EVERYTHING depends on the commitment of the parent company to design, getting suppliers to adhere to quality standards, and making sure the assembly line facilitates quality, instead of fighting it. Ford can do that in Mexico if it wants, and Hyundai in Alabama....or not....but the language spoken on the line will have nothing to do with it.
    Unless you have a crystal ball, you'll have easier time finding a Tercel with a gold package than you will accurately predicting first year reliability of any new model. Just because a car is assembled in Mexico doesn't mean it's going to have poor reliability. The old Escort was assembled in Mexico. As was the Buick Century. They both had decent records. My mom's PT Cruiser was built in Mexico and that model has had an excellent reliability history - even in its first year. As far as Volkswagons go... whether they're built in Germany, Brazil or Mexico doesn't seem to make much difference. First year out, last year of the model run - if it's a VW, it's going to need lots o' maintenance.

If we're going only by place of origin and using history as our guide, I'd much rather have a first year model built in Mexico than one assembled in Alabama. Do you recall what a disaster the MB M-Class was in its first year? It's still well below average, at least on CR's scale.

Remember the Fusion is only partially new. We've seen the engines before. And we've seen another car ride the same platform for the last 3 years. The Sonata is completely new from the ground up. Believe what you'd like about Hyundai quality, it's very difficult for ANY manufacturer to get something completely new perfectly correct the first time out of the chute.