Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• ckellerckeller Member Posts: 6
    they claim that this engine needs diff service than my 03
    sonata lx did.but my big concern is the vibration in seat
    and steering wheel when stopped at a light.I have had it to
    another dealer for this problem and they think Iam nuts.
    But friends who ride with me say i am correct.I just hate to go in and have say i don't have a problem.If this happens i will trade the car and never buy the azera or any other hyundai again.
    ckeller
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    Do you use the same Gas Station... it could be contaminated fuel. Try a different station/grade and see if the problem goes away!
    Just a thought!
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    V6 engines should not have ANY vibrations at idle speed. The 4 cyl. have SOME (like mine), which is the nature of 4 cyl. engines. But not the 6.

You need to check it and fix it. It may be a faulty fuel injector. Or yes, it might be bad gas....
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Could also be something like a bad hydraulic motor mount. In any case, it's not normal. The V6 engine on the Sonata LX I drove was glass-smooth at idle and on the road.
  • djdublmdjdublm Member Posts: 19
    Im looking to find a set of 2006 LX wheels i currently have a 2006 GLS 4cyl with the 16inch rims and like the look of the 17"s any help would be appreciated..
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    dj, someone will probably trade you straight up. Quite a few people like the 16's because they ride a little quieter and smoother.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Hyundai has just posted their incentives for April.

April Incentives

The rebate on the V6 is now $2000, the financing rebate on the Sonata is $1000 with advertised interest rates of 2.9% to 4.9%. The valued owner rebate is down to $500. There is a lease offer of $199/mo on all Sonata GLS models and a "see your dealer" on the LX.

And Backy, $1000 rebate on all 2006 Accents! ;)
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    17.5K units moved - Nice!!!

:)
    Great deals on those V6s! It's clear Hyundai is trying to move those. Only $1000 total incentives on the I4s.

Do you realize that if you can get invoice pricing on a GLS V6, that puts the price at $16,331 and 2.9% financing for 60 months if you take HMFC's financing and qualify for the loyalty rebate? Wow. That means for just a few hundred bucks more than an invoice + rebates deal on a GLS I4 (no options), you can get a fully loaded GLS V6 with moonroof, power seat, 17" alloys, and Homelink.

There was $1000 on the Accent last month too... they need to add a loyalty rebate! :)
  • johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    A common misconception is invoice price is a good deal. The dealer is still making plenty of money at invoice (not true dealer cost) price. Always start negotiations at true dealer cost, not invoice :D
    I was using invoice because it is a known figure, easily researched. Lower is better of course. "True dealer cost" is not as easy to pin down. Can you tell us the true dealer cost for the Sonata?
  • tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    OMG! Take a look at the Lexus pictures under "Car Reviews" on this site. The Sonata looks better all the time!
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financing/specialoffers/special_offers.aspx

Looking at the incentives there, it appears a buyer of the LX Sonata can get the factory rebate of $2000 OR get the super financing (which includes not only the low rate, but also the HMFC financing rebate of $1000). Then after choosing which of those you want, you can also get the $500 valued owner rebate if you can qualify. So, for valued owners, that's either $2500 or $1500 available, but NOT $3500 for April purchases.
    Am I confused about the meaning of the incentives as shown in that table?
    From reading about purchases last month, it seems buyers got the factory rebate of $1000, plus the finance rebate of $1000 (but maybe not at a low rate?), plus (if qualified) the valued owner $1000. That is $3000 total for March purchases.
    You hit the nail on the head. Overall the incentives compared to last month seem a little down, but you don't have to jump through the HMFC hoops to get some of the money this month. Although if you do finance, the interest rates are definitely better. ;)
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Hello,

For the GLS V-6, is it $2,000 cash rebate plus $1,000 rebate if financing through Hyundai, or is it $2,000 or $1,000 plus 2.9/4.9%. At Carsdirect.com, they indicated a total rebate of $3,000 (2k+1k).

Thanks,
    Shoot you are right--only $2500 maximum incentives, although the interest rate is better than last month. And Hyundai had almost sold another Sonata! Too bad.
    I think they started to realize how stupid they were with the $1,000 giveaway and 9% rate.
    They thought buyers were as smart as they were, and will therefore go along and pay the HIGH rate, to get that 1000!

Found this:
    FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif. — Hyundai Motor America on Monday posted higher U.S. sales for March, helped mainly by a 53.8 percent jump in sales of its Sonata sedan.

The auto manufacturer, a unit of Korea's Hyundai Corp., sold a total of 41,766 units in March, up from 40,063 in March 2005. Hyundai's Sonata sales during the month leaped to 17,487 vehicles from 11,373 sold in the year-ago period.

The XG350 also proved popular, as sales grew to 2,401 units from 1,364 units in the prior-year quarter.

Sales of all other vehicles, including the Accent and Elantra sedans, declined.
    True dealer cost can vary depending on holdback, manufacturer-to-dealer incentives, and Hyundai finance to dealer incentives. These change fairly often and it requires a bit of research to figure it out. I bought my car in August, so if I remember right the true dealer cost for my I4 GLS with option package 4 (sunroof/power seat) was around 18,500. I believe invoice was around 19,500 or so, but it has been 8-months so I do not remember the exact amount.

If I get some extra time I will figure out an updated figure and post it for you.

John
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Also a common misconception is that every car should be sold at the dealer cost plus a "reasonable" profit. Many more variables come into play such as market factors.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

On the average, a dealer must sell cars at their cost plus a reasonable profit or they will go out of business. But they don't have to get the same amount of profit from everyone. ;)
    My point is is that the market plays more in the selling price of the car than does what the cost to the dealer does. Sometimes a car will go for cost plus 5% sometimes cost plus 25%.

Pontiac is coming out very shortly with a hardtop convertible for the G6 and dealers are taking orders. Currently these cars are hot and they are going for at least sticker. No dealer will accept cost plus "reasonable" profit on that car, and most likely won't for some time.

On the flip side the last car I bought was the prior years model still new on the dealers lot. It was a few months into the new model year and this poor little car was still on the lot at a big discount. I know the dealership took a bath on this one, in this case the dealer was minimizing his loss.

• slm1slm1 Member Posts: 28
    Would you post the calculations you use to determine true dealer cost. I thought a dealer paid thousands less than the invoice. Otherwise, How do they make any money
    They make money on people who pay close to MSRP. And on used cars. And on service. And on manufacturer-to-dealer incentives for hitting certain sales targets. Lots of ways to make money.
  • mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    anyone have incentive or dealer pricing info for Canadian buyers?
    One important factor you left out is those of us who have trade in vehicles. NEVER tell the dealer you are going to trade in a car until AFTER the price of the new vehicle is set. Then be prepared for battle! Normally if you negotiate a great price on your new car they will try to make up for it in your trade-in. Be prepared!
    True dealer cost is merely invoice price minus holdback (Hyundai is 2% of total invoice) minus manufacturer-to-dealer incentives (if any at all) minus finance company to dealer incentives. Remember, you do not need B.S. stuff that does nothing like rustproofing, wax treatments, Scotchguard treatments, etc. Since this forum is about the Sonata I am going to finish this thread up with a great link for your new car buying education:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

There are several chapters on this site, so make sure to navigate it completely.
    Well, I left out a lot of factors as I was not trying to provide a complete education on the subject of car buying, just making a simple comment about one aspect of car buying.
  • ckellerckeller Member Posts: 6
    went to dealer,$115 for 7500 mile service and they tell me
    the car runs smoothly.But it is not right to me.I asked to
    see factory guy when he shows up.It has already cost
    hyundai a sale because a friend who wanted one drove my car
    and did not like the vibration at a light.I sold five hyundai's when i had my 03 lx.People still need proof that
    the car is well made.

ckeller
    True dealer cost is merely invoice price minus holdback (Hyundai is 2% of total invoice) minus manufacturer-to-dealer incentives (if any at all) minus finance company to dealer incentives.

Not quite accurate, you also have to add in any direct selling costs such as commission as well as any interest paid on loans for inventory then you get what accountants call Cost of Goods Sold (COGS). Now if you want to get technical about it you also have to add in all the indirect costs allocated to the vehicle such as lighting, office supplies, depreciation cleaning, and the like.

I would advise to let them know that there is a car you will be willing to trade in. If they think they can do the trade in they might come down even more and try to make it up on the trade in. remember you can always take the trade in off the table.

• desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Two local Hyundai dealers are running ads for the Azera at $18,998. This is of course if you qualify for all the discounts. Funny thing is, they have four different models in the huge display ad at promo prices and NOT one is a Sonata.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    ckeller, you need to be very insistent about solving this issue. I have not read ANY complaints about the Sonata LX vibrating in ANY of the boards I've been visiting. Everybody is claiming their V6 engine to be super smooth.

If your car is vibrating inside, it would be most pronounced in the engine compartment.

I would demand the dealer compare your car to another LX on his lot. Shouldn't be too complex for him to do. Compare apples to apples. Park your car next to another LX and have both cars' engines running. Put your hand on the engine's cover (shouldn't be too hot to touch)... Or have someone put each car in gear and compare the 2 engines.
  • jib4jib4 Member Posts: 13
    I'm curious to know how fast the v6 Sonata can go.
    I'm just breaking mine in so I'm not going to push but
    would anyone admit to pushing it past 100mph? Do I hear 110? The guy with the pierced nose... did you indicate 120+?

I'de be interested in hearing numbers and there will be no tickets issued. :shades:
  • edmund2001edmund2001 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2006 Sonata LX. Passed 5000 miles last week & I just recently started getting a vibration while idling at a light. Goes away when I put it in neutral. Anyone else have this problem?
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Found a few sources for the 2006 Sonata top speed:
    Business Standard Motoring, says 134 mph tops out.
    Online Independent 132 mph
    Car Pages UK Motoring Search Engine says 126 mph

So, guess you can take your pick. Looks like something over the 125 mph area anyway.

I have seen one go past 101, but then backed down, wrong area to really try it out.
    Just found another item where Hyundai claims a 130mph top out.
    Azera at $18,998. This is of course if you qualify for all the discounts

There are NO Rebates for the Azera except Hyundai Owners :1000
    I can't vouch for the Sonata, but over on the Azera forum there is a poster that said he has had his Azera to 140! :surprise:
    So given the smaller engine in the Sonata, I would think somewhere in the 120-130 range is plausible. ;)
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Car & Driver says 137 MPH, drag limited, in their recent test. The car is not governed as many are these days and just plain runs out of steam at nearly 140, plenty fast enough.
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    Don't know how fast it can top off at but I can definitely hit 110+.
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    It's not the rims that make the car ride rough. Try changing your tires. The tires that the car comes with are close to pure sport tires. They have very stiff side walls which relates to harder ride and more noise. Had the same issue with another car changed the tires and noise and road bumps became lesser
  • verno1verno1 Member Posts: 13
    I have owned my V6 Sonota since August. It has just over 8000 miles on it. I just took a trip of around 300 miles and just barely averaged 23 mpg on the trip. All highway miles. Around 70 mph. I traded in a 2000 Taurus v6 for this car and had driven Taurus's for my last 3 cars. I drove them the same way I drive this car and always averaged around 30 mpg. I would have to say I am very disappointed in this. I am very happy with the rest of the vehicle and it performance just not the mileage. Especially when they say it should get around 30 mpg hwy. :mad:
    "There are NO Rebates for the Azera except Hyundai Owners :1000"

Discounts from MSRP are as follows:
    MSRP $25,080
    Dealer discount $2092
    Hyundai loyalty $2000
    Military discount $1000
    HMFC finance discount $1000

The phone number is 1-866-385-1090 in case you want to call the dealer and tell him there are no discounts! Won't cost you anything either.
    The phone number is 1-866-385-1090 in case you want to call the dealer and tell him there are no discounts

It is probably an add mistake...
    There are NO rebates for the Azera other than the 1000 H -owner.
    Check it out with Hyundai:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financing/specialoffers/special_offers.aspx
    I just took a trip of around 300 miles and just barely averaged 23 mpg on the trip. All highway miles. Around 70 mph.

I have a V6 with less than 2,000 miles and I am getting 30-32 MPG Highway...
    May be you should have the dealer take a look at it (if they know what they are doing, that is!).
    Don't know how fast it can top off at but I can definitely hit 110+

Did you happen to look at the RPM at 110mph... if so, what is it?
    That ad is for a Sonata but mislabeled as an Azera. That's my guess anyway. And even then the ad is not accurate in it's listing of rebates.
    Look at your rpm at 55 mph when the torque converter is locked and in highest gear. Then double that. Should be same rpm as 110 mph.
    "That ad is for a Sonata but mislabeled as an Azera"

No, the Sonata in the same ad is $10988! The ad I quoted above was from Bell Rd Hyundai in Phoenix. There is another ad from North Scottsdale Hyundai that quotes the exact same discounts & rebates for the Azera @ $18988. The two dealers are not related. I'm just reporting what is advertised and they are very strict in the Ariz. Republic about misleading car ads. Both ads say "one only" BTW.
    Both ads say "one only" BTW.

When a buyer calls they will say: it is already sold! but...

That is what is called " BAIT & SWITCH ".
  • vindogzvindogz Member Posts: 1
    I just closed the deal on my 2006 Sonata GLS I4 for $18500. I didn't get the crazy prices people on here are reporting, but I got it for less than the Edmunds TMV. I also got it in Powder White which is impossible to find in the NY Tri-State Area. I'll take delivery on it on Saturday. I could have gotten the V6 for the same price, but with gas hitting close to $3.00 a gallon for just regular in the city, I'll stick to the 4 banger! It has more than enough power for me. The other plus for me is that I got it at the dealership closest to my home, so servicing and everything will not be an issue. I should have bought it last month when the rebates were better, but my 2000 Neon with 106000 miles on it decided to break down on me this weekend. Oh well, hopefully I'll love my new Sonata as much as everyone else!