Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    The intermittent wiper module is sensitive to the car's speed, or rather, to whether the car is driving or stopping. So when you come to a stop -- the intervals will be longer, and once your car reaches a certain speed (about 15 mph) the intervals become shorter.

Just another SMART idea...

But this is a feature that other similar modern cars have, like the Accord (at least the EX has it).
  • flatibbyflatibby Member Posts: 28
    It's no malfunction to have it on the fastest intermitted speed while standing at a light then for it to work on low continous speed once you start driving your vehicle. I have the same feature on my 2003 tiburon, and at first I thought it was a malfunction but it's one of those hidden features they don't tell you about on the manual.
    Another neat feature is when you use your turn signal, after completing your turn and the steering wheel retreat, you'll notice the turn signal light will stay on for the normal duration even if the signal switch retreat in the middle of light being on.
  • sheba6sheba6 Member Posts: 7
    Well thanks people for all the info. I am no longer worried that the wipers are a problem, however I still don't think it is speed activated as some people suggest. I tested the car at rest in parking lot and put on intermittent setting (and by the way it does this on all intermittent settings I discovered) when window or wipers I really don't know sensed excess water I put on it, it immediately went into continuous low mode until window was cleared and then reverted back to intermittent setting. I just can't believe the manual would not mention any of this under wiper operation instructions, as operating your wipers or should I say knowing all the features could be a safety issue in a storm. Anyway, thanks all for the info.
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    Yes, but remember it was you who noticed your Sonata was sending secret messages via the bipping Red Alarm LED. :blush:
    If the only Intermittent Wiper setting, #1 position with the variable knob setting wasn't vehicle speed controlled, how would the Wipers know when to slow down when you slow down to a stop?. Some high end cars can sense actual rain. Although we have ESC, those cars are equipped with ESP, Extra Sensory Perception :P
  • flc2006flc2006 Member Posts: 81
    I Walked in the Hyundai dealership at first to buy the Hyundai Azera SE, but after i was negotiating i found out the price for $19,999 was only for leasing, after i read the ad it said lease price only but im glad i walked out, i would have paid more than sticker, the next day which was a sunday i got the 2006 Aquamarine Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 with Premium Sport Package for sticker $23145 minus the rebate i got it for $20,145 It was a excellent experience buying my hyundai at Carmissa Hyundai in Burlingame CA if you are looking at a Hyundai this the place to go if you are in penisula or san francisco area.

Im glad I did not get the 2007 Toyota Camry CE for the same price with no keyless entry or alloy wheels and no ESC, even though the Camry may have more resale value, V6 for the same price, my opinion is why the pay same and get less.
  • j_bm123j_bm123 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, how is everyone? I have a 06' Silver GLS with 11,000KM on it. I have a dealer installed car starter that works perfectly. I do not have the remote on my keys and sometimes I take the car. I use the key to unlock the door and get in, no problem. When I put the key in to start the car, I turn the key and nothing happens. The car just won't start, doesn't even try to turn over. If I use my wife's remote to start the car, then use my key to drive away, it works. Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking I should see the dealer as I found nothing in the manual about this. Thanks
  • johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    Hyundai dealers usually contract the work out to a third-party shop, so I am not sure which brand they put in your Sonata. However, I had a dealer-installed remote start installed last year when I bought my '06 Sonata and I have to use the remote starter door unlock button in order for the key-turn starting method to work. This is because it is an integrated remote start/car alarm. The factory remote WILL unlock the doors, but when I go to start the car it will not turn over. I think it is because the starter-kill is still engaged and the aftermarket remote is needed to disable it.
    I DO HOPE you had a typo and actually bought an '07 and not an '06 for the sticker price (minus Hyundai's rebate)..... 'Cause otherwise, why in the world would you buy an OLDER model-year car for the same price you could have paid for a NEW model-year car?

And why in the world would you pay the sticker price (and on an '06???????) ? Do you want your dealer to be so very happy?

...Or am I missing something here? Please help me here.
    Man Mama, you beat me to the punch. I was doing some research on how this poor soul bought an 'NF' Sonata here in the United States?. Believe it or not some will pay Sticker, or worse yet, the Add-a-Tag price without even blinking. While the rebates are still a couple thousand more on the 06, its the Invoice price that you want to pay, then subtract any incentive. But then again, you knew that!
  • seniorsenior Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for your quick reply regarding telescopic wheel.I found out how to do it accidently by moving the wheel all the way up while exiting car.Senior
    The dealer must have made an EXTRA $3,000 that day, wouldn't you agree, Miami? OK, maybe only $2,000, poor chap...

But at least flc2006 didn't buy that stupid Camry, to his credit.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Thanks for your posting. I was trying to come up with a way to tell the guy that he "probably" didn't get a very good deal.
    Almost true, however, there is a lot of room to haggle when it comes to "invoice" price. Invoice is NOT the price the dealer paid for the car. One of the oldest tricks in the book is the $1 over invoice ploy! It does not take into account dealer holdback, dealer flooring assistance, and other costs rebated to the dealership after the sale. Most consumers think they got a good deal for invoice, but this is not always true. True dealer cost is usually far below invoice and can be used to haggle if the consumer knows what this price is. The only way to find out this price is to research it as it differs car to car and brand to brand. A good price to pay for a car is 5% above TRUE dealer cost. I was able to get my GLS for more than $1,000 below invoice PLUS rebates. A few days of research really paid off.
    I'll challenge your research over my luck, and we could see who fared better?. Invoice plus bundles of $Cash$ back works for me anyday.:shades:

Of course I agree with most of your post as well!. Could you tell us how your research led to the TRUE Dealer cost though. :confuse:
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I too would be interested in learning where you researched to find the true dealer cost.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    The old trick you are mentioning is usually $1 (or $25) over dealer cost, not "invoice" of a particular vehicle. "Dealer cost" can incude many things such as rent or mortgage on the dealer lot, insurance, property tax, employee costs, utilities, etc.

Yes, you are correct that invoice does not include holdback and factory to dealer incentives and at some delalerships includes and adversing fee (which I think is bogus or at least something the consumer should not pay).

The dealer does have to make a profit, other wise he won't be in busines what you need him again. I expect the dealer to make money when he sells me a car, I just don't want him paying for his kid's college based on selling me a car. :)
    Of course the dealer has to make a profit. I agree completely with you. I think the problem is many customers are paying WAY too much money and are going in and being blindsided. The key is giving a FAIR profit. I stated I think somewhere in the area of 5% is reasonable in my posting.

It is unfortunate, but many people go in to buy a car without having any clue how much it should cost...they just want to know "how much is it going to be every month." A dealer loves those kinds of customers!
    Below invoice and bundles of cash back agrees with me even more. I would rather have an understanding of what I'm up against and not count on luck. There is a reason Las Vegas resorts are so lavish...and it ain't because the players are lucky.

I started my research by paying the $12 or so for the vehicle specific report on www.consumerreports.org. They break down the numbers which can change almost monthly which include various manufacturer to dealer incentives. Next, I completely read http://www.carbuyingtips.com which I found to be very useful. They even give downloads of Excel worksheets in order to compare several deals you are contemplating. I then went to http://www.car-prices-costs.com/dealer-cost.html in order to figure out the Hyundai-specific dealer holdback percentage. After getting some of the numbers I went to www.carsdirect.com for comparision purposes as a starting haggle point for my local dealers. After receiving several quotes in writing from dealerships, all via fax or email, I then negotiated with my select dealer until the deal was complete. I also found it important to ensure all cash rebates were applicable AFTER the deal was done...not as part of the haggled price!

There are a lot of informative automotive websites I visited in addition to the above stated, but it has been over a year so I cannot remember them all.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, do you realize every bit of that information is right here at Edmunds? And it's all free!! ;)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    A good price to pay for a car is 5% above TRUE dealer cost. I was able to get my GLS for more than $1,000 below invoice PLUS rebates. A few days of research really paid off.

You are promoting a misconception. The price of a car is more driven by the market than what the dealer paid for it. Try buying a Prius for 5% over the TRUE dealer price. If I have a hot car with a waiting list of people willing to pay sticker plus why should I sell it for 5% over my real cost?

True some cars you can get it that low, others you cannot.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

The key is giving a FAIR profit.

What is fair is what the market will allow. If the market allows a dealer to make only 5% thats fair, if its 10% thats fair, if its 50% thats fair, if they lose 10% that too is fair.

Basically whatever they can make on a free market is fair (provided they do nothing that is immoral [very subjective] or illegal).

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Where in Edmunds.com can we find the details on manufacturer-to-dealer incentives on specific models? I haven't been able to find that yet.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    That information can be found when you check the incentives page. They are referred to as marketing support. Example 06 Accord has a $750.00 manufacturer to dealer incentive.
    OK, I see it. Thanks. It appears the information is incomplete. For example, we have been told by some buyers that there are marketing incentives on the Sonata, but they do not show up.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I was referring to the Sonata, which isn't exactly in the same category as a Prius. I understand your point, but there is no waiting list for a Sonata...at least not yet :shades:
    Granted the Sonata can be had at below invoice but it is due to the supply and demand functions more than the cost to the dealer. Not only that but the supply and demand of each particular trim in each particular area of the country and luck of the draw in timing.

• 73chevyimpala73chevyimpala Member Posts: 16
    So what's the difference? I think I've heard somewhere that Hyundai transfers both warranties, but Kia doesn't let you transfer the powertrain warranty. A Sonata goes for about a $1000 more than an Optima(used 05 or 06) What about maintenance? If it's true with Optima you can't get an aftermarket battery, is it the same with Sonata?

What else? I don't notice very many 4 cylinder automatics on Sonata, but I do notice quite a bit of 4 cylinder Optimas.

Thanks
    Hyundai's powertrain warranty doesn't transfer to other owners; the bumper-to-bumper warranty transfers to the 2nd buyer.

One big difference between Optima and Sonata is that ABS/traction and ESC are standard on all trim lines on the Sonata, while they are not available on the Optima LX and optional ($1095 total) on the EX. The Optima has a few features or options not available on the Sonata such as leather, alloys, and telescopic wheel with the I4. Maybe that is one reason you see more I4 Optimas than I4 Sonatas, but probably more because the V6 in the Optima has 49 fewer horses than the V6 in the Sonata; the V6 in the Optima has only 23 more horses than the I4.
  • sleeperbeesleeperbee Member Posts: 4
    A 2006 Sonata GLX perspective after 90 days and 10,000 miles. I'm in large equipment sales and do alot of driving, so this is the opinion of an owner who spends an inordinate amount of time on the road. Anyway...

The Good:

- The most comfortable seats in its class with ample room for broad shoulders. Much better than my wife's '06 Malibu (company car).
    - 26.8 MPG combined. I haven't reset the trip computer for 2 months. Two-thirds wide open hwy (65 to 85), one-third city streets.
    - The V6 is great!!! Plenty of power/fun to drive.
    - Cut a sidewall on a Michelin at 5k miles. Went to Discount Tire, the manager called Michelin, and they authorized a 70% price cut. Hooray!!!
    - Absolutely the quietest car I've ever owned. Very minimal road noise.
    - Invest the $55 and put on a set of the OEM mudguards. You don't even notice them and they REALLY keep the road grime off the paint.
    - "Thanks, but it's not an Accord". I do get frequent comments about the styling.
    - Stock CD stereo sounds fairly good - Love the MP3 capability.
    - Large trunk. Or in my son's words, "You could get 4 or 5 bodies in there".
    - No complaints from occasional back seat riders about legroom.
    - Drove the Accord, Camrey, Altima, Mazda 6, and Corolla before buying the Sonata - I still swear it's wider and roomier than all of them.
    - A "true" tilt wheel, Not that up/down wannabee found on all the others mentioned above.

The Bad (OK, not really bad, but...) :

- Hyundai paint (I've got the triple-coat pearl) is not as durable or thick as most. Every rock chip goes right thru to the metal.
    - The shifting on the 5-speed auto can be erratic. The service manager at the dealer told me there was talk of "re-chipping" the electronic shift.
    - The stereo controls on the steering wheel are very minimal. there's no on/off, channel select, or CD track selector.
    - Silly cartridge type oil filter similar to Mazda.
    - No rear spoiler available as an option. The Sonata's rear styling literally BEGS for one (check out the next Accord you pass).
    - At 125 mph (the middle of nowhere in SE Idaho), it does get a little "light on its feet". I don't make a habit of driving at those speeds. One-time deal - I could resist.

The Ugly (and it was mostly my fault):

- Be careful with the electronic shift. I was driving along one morning and had to hit the brakes hard to avoid the "navigationally challenged" individual in the next lane. An entire cup of coffee went from the cupholder to the shifter opening. I pulled over to clean up the mess and when I re-started, the transmission would only operate in 1st and 2nd gears - changing between the two every 4 or 5 seconds. I limped the 10 mile home and called the Hyundai Nat'l Service number. After a brief explanation he asked, "Cream and sugar?". I said "No", and he told me that I'd be OK, just let everything dry ouy. I opened the windows, pointed a fan into the car for 18-20 hours, and everything was good to go. Not until AFTER this little experience did I notice the flip-down spacer for smaller cups. Lesson learned... again.

Final Thoughts:

- Every time I come home from a trip (usually involving rental cars) I appreciate this car even more.
    - Glad I didn't get the sunroof - a way overpriced option.
    - Where can I find a Spoiler!?!?!?

Just My Humble Opinion...
    Good, interesting report! Thank you.
  • tibtuscanitibtuscani Member Posts: 46
    Buy the studie lip kit it makes the sonata look so sexy
    its only $995 also buy the quad exhaust :)
    http://www.importshark.com/ProductImages/BodyKits/Sonata/Studie.html
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    There is no crime in paying MSRP or more for a car. It does make for a very enjoyable car buying experience and may net you some extra good will in the future from your dealer too.
    Car dealers need to make a living and some like to indulge in a few extravagances too. Don't begrudge them a few full price deals.
    MSRP for a new Sonata is a fair deal. I say everyone should be so fortunate as to be able to walk in a pay full MSRP without straining their budget.
    And besides, if more people pay full boat, then the dealer can more easily afford to sell me a new one every once in a while for less than 60% of MSRP.
    So, congrats flc on your new car purchase! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a great car, whether it is an '06 or '07.
    Gee, it was only $950 when I clicked on the link. I assume the other $45 goes to you?. And the pics, are those yours?.
    "MSRP for a new Sonata is a fair deal!."

"And besides, if more people pay full boat, then the dealer can more easily afford to sell me a new one every once in a while for less than 60% of MSRP".

I like the way you think Joe!
    And besides, if more people pay full boat, then the dealer can more easily afford to sell me a new one every once in a while for less than 60% of MSRP.

If more people are willing to pay MSRP then the dealer would be a fool to sell it to you for 60% of MSRP.

If more people are willing to pay MSRP then the dealer would be a fool to sell it to you for 60% of MSRP.

--You actually had a very good point, snake. Why would the dealer be so stupid as to sell the next Sonata to Joe for a PENNY less than the full MSRP, if he can sell it for the full price to anybody else?

See, Joe, being SELFISH is not always SMART. You should follow Jesus' teachings: "Love thy neighbor. Drive your dealer nuts."
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    http://www.kspec.com/ try this web site. It's been floated around a few times in these forums for Sonata owners looking for performance parts for their car and various other Hyundais. They have 2 available for the Sonata
    Thanks for the great review! I agree with your point about the lack of paint quality. I pointed this out about my '06 Sonata a year ago. The paint seems so thin and is not durable at all. I cannot take this car to anything other than a cloth-free car wash because it scratches so easily.

Regarding the spoiler you can find plenty of them on Ebay or just do a google search and a lot of regular places sell them too. Some come painted to match your car and others come ready to paint. In addition, some have LED brake lights built into them and others are just plain.
    You wonder: Why would the dealer be so stupid as to sell the next Sonata to Joe for a PENNY less than the full MSRP, if he can sell it for the full price to anybody else?

There could be many reasons.
    Maybe the dealer wants to sell a car before that 1 person in a 100 who will pay full MSRP wanders into his showroom? Or, maybe the dealer needs to sell one more car to meet some quota? Or, maybe because the dealer needs to dump a particular car which is about to become one with too much carrying cost?

If dealers waited to sell to only those who would pay full MSRP then they could get rid of most of their inventory and staff, because they would not be selling many cars.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    It is my experience with many other brands and model years that a stone that gets launched into your front paintwork comes mainly from a tire on a vehicle in front of you traveling anywhere from 65-85 mph +/-. The speed of this projectile is enormous and it can travel a quite a few hundred feet easily...paintwork whether on a BMW, Mercedes, or the cheapest Hyundai Accent doesen't stand a chance when impacted by one of these. Worse yet is the larger stone stuck in the tread of a semi (larger tire grooves = larger stone). Nothing can withstand this type of hit especially since the EPA standards for paint has also changed...a kinder and gentler (less emissions) type of paint is now used and I believe it is also more fragile across the automotive spectrum. So, to single out Hyundai in general and the Sonata specifically for this isn't necessarily true.
    The thing is if more and more people paid MSRP then there are plenty of people to come by to pay that amount.

In other words if there are enough people willing to pay a certain amount then there is no real incentive for a dealership to sell below that amount. Just because one or two people pay far more than that amount doesn't mean that the dealer is going to reduce their price.

In reality the instances that the dealer has one ore car to sell before hitting quota (or some other number) is a long shot. You have to have perfect timing, say s/he has week to sell that one car good luck in getting that low price.

The speed of this projectile is enormous and it can travel a quite a few hundred feet easily...

Actually the "projectile" that is lifted up from the tire of the car in front of you travels very slowly and doesn't go to far. It is your car approaching that "projectile" that has great speed and travels a great distance in the time that "projectile" is airborne.

The thing is, more and more people are not paying MSRP.
    In other words, there are not enough people willing to pay MSRP or any other certain amount you may refer to, in part because that amount is very uncertain, changing from day to day, and not even the same at different dealerships on the same day. Similar cars sell for widely varying amounts for many reasons, not just because one or two people pay more than MSRP.
    In reality, There are a lot more cars than there are buyers willing to pay MSRP. That is the main reason manufacturers and dealers discount from MSRP.
    What I said before was that I'd like it if everyone could pay full MSRP without straining their budgets. That's a big if, and not likely to happen.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Although I agree that the interception of the airborne projectile is aided by the speed and relative closeness of the vehicle following don't kid yourself that the velocity of a stone ejected from a tire spinning along at 70+ mph is very slow..it is not. Additionally I have had a windshield "hit" while following a truck at a steady speed i.e. matching the speed of the truck at probably 1/8 mile or so. This object remained airborne long enough for me to drive into its trajectory. I was looking around for someone throwing stones from the shoulder of the road because the truck was so far ahead I didn't believe it could have come from there.
    The thing is, more and more people are not paying MSRP.

No they are not, but they are paying a certain price for the car. The point is if there is a study stream of customers willing to pay at least that price (and there is) then their is little incentive for a dealer to accept a significantly lower price.

In other words if I have a study stream of people paying Invoice plus $500 plus maybe an additional amount why should I accept your offer at invoice less $100?

Similar cars sell for widely varying amounts for many reasons,

Granted but there is a bare minimum that a dealer will accept, that is usually based on what the market will allow. That means if there are enough people paying at least a certain price there is no incentive to accept lower from the occasional person who might offer it.

Remember that a business is not in business to make a reasonable profit but to make the maximum profit.

What I said before was that I'd like it if everyone could pay full MSRP

You said that if everyone would you could buy at well under MSRP (actually it was "if more people pay full boat, then the dealer can more easily afford to sell me a new one every once in a while for less than 60% of MSRP"), but the fact is if everyone paid MSRP you too would be paying MSRP.

Although I agree that the interception of the airborne projectile is aided by the speed and relative closeness of the vehicle following don't kid yourself that the velocity of a stone ejected from a tire spinning along at 70+ mph is very slow..it is not.

It's relative, from the stand point of a car going 70+ MPH you are approaching a "projectile that is traveling towards you at say 25 MPH at the rate of 95 MPH making the time to that "projectile" only a few short seconds if you are 1/8th of a mile behind the truck.

Now if you were walking along the road 1/8th mile behind that truck it would take you about 1.5 to 2 minutes to get to that "projectile" at which point it would be on the ground motionless.

A tire of a vehicle going at a constant speed will only throw a projectile backwards at a rather slow speed for a rather short distance. Since the tire is not "spinning" it is not truely forcing the stones back. What is happening is the downward pressure from the weight of the vehicle is popping them out (sort of like what happened when you step on a package of ketchup). What happens is that it kicks it up into the air (sometimes at a great height) and the force of the impact is really from your car traveling at great speeds.

Now if the car was at a standstill and punched it spinning its wheels then it will throw stuff back at high speeds but thats not what we are talking about.

Trust me I have been along side roads and have been hit by those "projectiles", there really isn't much force in them.

Dealers don't want a steady stream of customers. They want a stream of customers constantly increasing in number.
    Sure there is a bare mimimum a dealer will accept, but a buyer does not know what that amount is, and that bare minimum may vary from day to day or even minute to minute. So go in and make an offer if you want a new car.
    A dealer may figure he can maximize his profit by occasionally selling a car for way below his cost. You've heard of loss leaders, right? And there are probably many other tactical reasons they might do it.
    Your paraphrase was not at all what I wrote, but the quote was accurate. So was mine, I said both in past posts.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for everyone to pay MSRP; I never suggested they would.
    Now you are getting off track here. At first you said that that more people paying MSRP will allow you to get a better deal (or allow the dealer to price it lower). Now it seems that you are backpedaling.

A dealer may figure he can maximize his profit by occasionally selling a car for way below his cost.

The instances of this happening are few and far between. Usually it entails getting one more sale to meet quota or have acellerators kick in.

You've heard of loss leaders, right?

Yes I have, it usually involves selling something at a loss in hopes that it will bring in people who will buy other things at normal markup. Usually used in segments of retail where one visit will usually result in more than one item being sold. It is hard to do a loss leader when the sale is almost always one item.

Boy, you sure like to argue. But if you are going to, at least don't misquote me anymore.

I'm not at all off my track (but I may well be off yours). Here's my post from way back in response to someone who seemed to be castigating flc for paying MSRP+:

There is no crime in paying MSRP or more for a car. It does make for a very enjoyable car buying experience and may net you some extra good will in the future from your dealer too.
    Car dealers need to make a living and some like to indulge in a few extravagances too. Don't begrudge them a few full price deals.
    MSRP for a new Sonata is a fair deal. I say everyone should be so fortunate as to be able to walk in a pay full MSRP without straining their budget.
    So, congrats flc on your new car purchase! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a great car, whether it is an '06 or '07.

Here is my statement (which you keep misquoting): "...if more people pay full boat, then the dealer can more easily afford to sell me a new one every once in a while for less than 60% of MSRP."
    It's simple, the dealer has more money if he sells more at MSRP, so that dealer can afford to sell one really cheap once in a while. Ok? And you don't need to mention again about everyone paying MSRP. I never said it, and it ain't gonna happen!