Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I think they are referring to the vents in the back end of the center console. Some cars have actual vents there able to direct airflow just like the ones on the dash.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Are you talking about a Canadian GLS? In the USA, one had to get an SE or Limited to get a 6 cyl. Other equipment also varied from one country to the other.
  • sonotaownersonotaowner Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

My car is a Canadian car. The Premium (according to a print out & brochure) was suppose to have everything on the GLS V6 ++++. The CD & Station changer on the steering wheel, telescopic steering wheel & rear vent for air flow where suppose to be included as well.

I'm going in to see Sales Mgr. next week b/c even he's not too sure what's going on as well.
  • samsarasamsara Member Posts: 3
    Read some previous posts about this but didn't help.

For a 2007 limited Sonata, searched the B pillar over and over, but only see the VIN label and a sticker with tire pressure info. Could someone please tell me in detail where you found the date of manufacture for your car? Thanks!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I advise against 3rd party warranties. Fraught with potential problems. Company could go out of business, they frequently do, leaving you unprotected. They often do not pay for your repair as you think they will, they will put in a "recovered transmission from a wrecked vehicle" instead of a new one or rebuilt one, etc. IF you're going to get one, and I'm not even sure you should on a Hyundai, get the factory one. Besides, aren't you covered for 100,000 miles anyway? Good grief, how long are you gonna run this cheap car anyway?
  • vabearvabear Member Posts: 18
    Open drivers door and look at the bottom of the "B" pillar, there you will find a black decal with the build date
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    same tag as your VIN.
  • samsarasamsara Member Posts: 3
    Ah, now I see. Thanks vabear!
  • falsafifalsafi Member Posts: 8
    From day 1 the not so unusual ticks of valves could be heard from engine. Not annoying at all, considering the fact that it has 24 valves! During first oil change at 2,000km I asked the serviceman was this normal, or perhaps any adjustments were required. Answer was that the engine is equipped with and they didn't need any adjustment.

Any comments!? I don’t recall reading anywhere about “Hydraulic Valve Lifters" in Sonata V6. Does it worth to open the valve cover and have the taps adjusted for such a new engine?
  • schandaischandai Member Posts: 10
    I have an 07 GLS auto base Sonata. Recently I noticed that the trip odometer always goes back to "Trip A" after I turn off the car, even though it was on "Trip B" with the engine running. Of course I could turn the key to "on" and see Trip B, but as soon as I take the key out, it reverts to Trip A display.

Before, I believe when I set it to "Trip B", it stayed on "B" regardless of whether the car was running or whether the key was in or out. I could swear that was the case.

Maybe I was wrong. Can anyone confirm it?
    Does it worth to open the valve cover and have the taps adjusted for such a new engine?

YIKES!! Only if you want to void your warranty! Are you crazy????
    Come On nvbanker! What made you believe that I am a 10 years old kid you wishes to see inside dad's car engine!!!?

I meant having it been adjusted by dealer! But even then, my hesitation is that I wouldn't have a virgin car any longer!
    My I4 taps on occasion, especially during cold weather. I live with it. That can be the case with solid lifters. As long as your dealer says it's ok I wouldn't worry about it or break into it.
    I'll be very surprised if your dealer will admit any adjustment is needed, but let me know if I'm wrong...
  • mrc22mrc22 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to install a hitch in my Sonata 06, but I would like to see how it looks first. Can someone email me a picture of one installed?
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Do you know what a major job that is? There are no adjustment screws. The cams must be raised up, and disks replaced with slightly thicker disks. At least, that's what I interpret from looking at the engine diagrams.

That gives you 24 more good reasons to change your oil frequently. :)
    OK! OK!.... I come to my own conclusion, i.e. it doesn't worth it!

However, since my first oil change at 2,000km, i hear an annoying noise from engine, especially when it's cold. I cannot explain it in writing though, but as it reduces considerably after engine is warm, I guess it is from timimg chain, or..... Any similar experience?
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    If this is on initial startup, it is possible the timing chain area has an "automatic" adjuster gadget, whose name alludes me at the moment, that may need to be replaced. Sorry I can't remember the actual name, but the dealers are aware of this possibility, and it is covered by warranty. :)
    van
    (must be having a senior bunch of moments)
    Lightfoot, I have never had a senior moment. What were we talking about?

Oh yea. It's called a timing chain tensioner, and it makes a rattling sound for a few seconds until the oil pressure comes up. There's a technical service bulletin (TSB) to fix it under warranty. They gave me a loaner, and fixed mine in about 6 hours.
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Here is the recent available link below to the Sept 2007 C & D issue with their long term test(40,000+ miles) report on a 2006 Sonata LX (i.e. Limited for 2007+). Excellent, positive report with NO warranty repairs!

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/13633/2006-hyundai-sonata-lx.html
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Thanks for the info, re name. tensioner :)
    Senior moment is when age takes the memory away at times. Usually, happens to some of us senior citizens, from time to time. Or maybe even more often than that. Otherwise, everything seems OK.. for me it is trying to remember something like the name of something such as this "tensioner", which I knew, just couldn't recall. :confuse:
    oh well, I knew that someone here would know what it was.
    Again, thanks, :)
    van
    Hi Bobad,

Any chance you may have a copy or reference something of that (TSB) regarding timing chain tensioner!? It may just help saving some time in convincing dealer about the problem, and who has to pay for it ;-)

Thanks!
  • gandb777gandb777 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2007 GLS with auto transmission with 5400 miles on it. Bought it new.
    I am a little disillisioned with the power of the 4 cyl engine. Presumably it makes 162 hp.
    I live in Pennsylvania and as such have a number of hills to climb. Quite often I must be in 3rd when going up a hill and sometimes even in 2nd. The engine seems to labor in these situations.
    Accelerations seems fine when on a level, but as soon there is a load the power seems limited. Anyone else have this type of problem or what are your experiences.

Additionally, I also have a problem with the transmission.
    When I reach a speed of between 45 and 50 mph in 4th gear, in automatic mode, I get a slight vibration. This will continue as long as I maintain that speed. If I tap the accelerator the vibration stops. When driving in the "Shift it yourself" mode in 4th gear, this does not occur.

I think it may have something to do with the torque convertor, but do not know for sure. Does anyone know, is there any form of overdrive built into 4th gear or anything like that?
    Have had it to the dealership one time for this problem but they could not duplicate it on a test drive. It is somewhat transient.
    Does anyone else have this type of problem or know anything about it
    Any insight is appreciated. Thanks
    gandb777@wmconnect.com
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What are the RPMs when you hear the vibration? It is possible the engine is lugging, although that should not happen at 45-50 mph. But if you are pushing the engine into low revs with a very light throttle, it could happen.
  • eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    I have a 2006 4 cyl. Auto and the power is the best I have ever had from a 4 cyl automobile.

From what you are saying about your transmesion I would have it checked out by the dealer. IUt sounds like the software in the computer is not right or possably the transmission it self is need of repair.

Good luck with your problem.

eagle2
  • jayessjayess Member Posts: 59
    I too have a 2007 GLS got it last Nov, 13,200 miles. Also in PA - western - so many hills too. I've had no problem with acceleration as such, but with the AC on entering the highway I really don't expect to pass everyone in the left lane but up the hills it does accelerate. Overall I'm very satisfied. What I have found on occasion is when I slow down to right around the 40 mph range the engine feels life 'lugging'. Not sure if it's the sound of the engine rpm's slowing down or some other issue.
    I've noticed the vibration, very very slight, on my I4 also at the speeds you note. I just attribute it to engine harmonics. I know if I ask my Hyundai dealer he'll say/feel nothing wrong.

I go in tomorrow to fix a rear door lock and I'll ask if they have heard any complaints about this.
  • ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    I have a 2006 GLS I4 and also have no power issues this is the most powerful 4 I have ever owned and I've had many. That said, mine will also lug on occasion but doesn't make a habit of it and will down shift quickly when I hit the gas. Sounds like yours is staying locked in overdrive and causing both problems. Should be a simple problem to repair with a computer reflash. Been told by more than one dealer tech that sometimes the factory settings don't take. This happened to a Accord I owned took 2 trips to the dealer to convince them there was a problem and 1/2 hour for them to repair. Good luck.
  • xebraxebra Member Posts: 9
    I live in Southwestern PA and have 4cylinder Sonata. I didn't encounter the problem described. Engine however goes to 2000+ rpm while climbing hills.
  • xebraxebra Member Posts: 9
    I have Hyundai Sonata 2007 with 4 cylinders and so far 3200 miles. Car is having starting problems. When I try to start it, it will not start at first, second and sometimes even at 3rd tries. I can hear cranking sound each time. It does finally start after couple of tries.

The first dealer I showed my car said everything is fine.
    Whereas 2nd dealer was able to diagnose the problem. They say that the sending unit is bad. They are going to replace it soon. I will keep everyone posted.
    While it should be noted that I do not own one of these I have rented both Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata (the 2006/07 model years) and have found the 4 cylinder to be very powerful. I too live in Pa. (the south central part) but our families live further west of here in Pa. so our travels include the Allegheny mountains. I have never found the 4 to be inadaquate climbing any hill or mountain even with 4 passengers and all our luggage. As an aside: to the poster who said his engine goes to 2K+ RPM while climbing hills...well duh!! Seriously, it will downshift out of overdrive (4th gear or in the case of the Optima 5th gear) and into 4th (the Optima again which has a 5 speed automatic) or 3rd gear depending on the speed demanded...severity of the climb...vehicle load etc. so nothing abnormal there.
    Anyhow, I wanted to defend the power of the 2.4 liter 4.. it really is a quick car. One only needs to rent some other brands with a 4 cylinder and drive them or better yet drive them back to back as I did (Kia Optima verses Ford Fusion) to see the difference.
    While I am discussing the Sonata/Kia 4's I am also impressed with their smoothness and silence at idle and lack of excessive engine noise while accelerating. This is an area where the Fusion was especially poor.
    I haven't driven the Fusion - was pretty turned off just by sitting in one, so didn't go further - yet, the magazines love them..... Hyundais however, are not the smoothest engines on the market either - not like a Honda or Toyota. Yet, they are tough and reliable. I liken them a lot to GM or Ford engines, only maybe a bit tougher in the long run - we shall see. But if you want smoooooooothness in your 4 banger, get a Camry... They are the gold standard. You'll pay for it though, and get not much more performance than you'll get from your Sonata.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Have you driven a Hyundai with tbe newer 3.3L and 3.8L V6 engines (e.g. Sonata or Azera)? They are very smooth, quiet powerplants.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I think the 2.7L in my '05 Sonata is smooth and quiet. The 3.3 and 3.8 have improved over what I feel is a good, powerful and quiet engine.
    Have you driven a Hyundai with tbe newer 3.3L and 3.8L V6 engines (e.g. Sonata or Azera)? They are very smooth, quiet powerplants.

Oh yes, buy them all the time for folks. Bought one 3 weeks ago, in the light blue color. They are smooth, not quite as smooth as the Camry or Accord, but they're close. As I said, they're a smooth as the Ford or the Chevy equivalent engines, and they're not bad. I'm just saying the Japanese engines are 'generally' more refined yet. NOt always, as in the case of the Toyota 4.7L truck engine, which idles pretty rough and is fairly noisy at high revs.
    How does one quantify the term "refined"? If automobile magazine testers using sound measuring devices (in db) find that at idle many Hyundai/Kia engines are as quiet as or more quiet than the cars/SUV's being tested with them (the competetors). Additionally they hold that edge or at worst track closely through full throttle acceleration and at 70 mph cruise then that is measureable proof. The best I can do as a consumer is sit behind the wheel and say to myself...gee that feels smooth and glance at the tach. at idle to make sure it is running. I have done both with yes..a Camry but with those Hyundai/Kia engines as well. So, refinement is an overused term that one would think was coined just for Camcords. In reality when you come to the bottom line if one were to set behind the wheel of say..a 3.8 V-6 as used in the Azera and a V-6 Camry with eyes closed there would be very little in the way to tell which was which.
    This whole refinement thing reminds me of a "blind" soft drink, or better yet, beer taste test. Can one tell between Coors light and another beer? Maybe but I'll bet not 10 out of 100. My opinion of course..
    I think we're agreeing here - I have stated before, that the gap is extremely close, and the Japanese should be very frightened right now, because Korea is eating their lunch, incrementally, consistently, quietly, just as Honda and Toyota did to GM & Ford. Toyota is going to wake up one morning, and realize they have lost the market to the Koreans.

Personally, I can still feel a difference between the Hyundai, Toyota and Honda. But much much less difference than I did in say, the last gen Sonata....
    I've noticed the vibration, very very slight, on my I4 also at the speeds you note. I just attribute it to engine harmonics. I know if I ask my Hyundai dealer he'll say/feel nothing wrong.

That's the exact speed that the torque converter locks and unlocks. I believe it's something that could be fixed with a firmware update. I hope there will be a TSB to fix it. Meanwhile, it's not harmful, and can largely be avoided.
    So, refinement is an overused term that one would think was coined just for Camcords.

Believe it or not, there was a time when some engines were refined and others weren't. :D

My wife was embarrassed when she tried to start our already-running V6 Sonata. That's the first time she ever did that, and we've owned some pretty nice cars. She's very cautious now. She checks the gages to see whether it's running.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    I have to disagree with you on this one. Sure, the Japanese (Toyota and Honda) will give up some market share to the Korean makers but they won't make the same mistakes as the American auto manufacturers or blunders that are different but just as bad. And the Koreans will want to raise their prices to increase profit margins so this will keep them from taking market share as fast as they might otherwise be able to. Then we've got the Chinese entering the market soon. I would guess that they can take market share from the Americans and Koreans as well as Suzuki and Mitsubishi easier than from Toyota and Honda (and Mazda and Nissan). So it won't be that the Koreans are eating the Japanese's lunch but rather will eating a lunch that's equally appetizing.
  • johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    After being with this forum since it's inception I took a few months break. I have to admit, it's a bit amusing to come back to realize the same questions, comments, and concerns are being recycled like old motor oil :)

What a wonderful car, but I guess everything that had to be said - has been said.
    After being with this forum since it's inception I took a few months break. I have to admit, it's a bit amusing to come back to realize the same questions, comments, and concerns are being recycled like old motor oil

Endure it for the benefit of the new forum members, who haven't heard the questions or replies yet. Take one for the team. :D
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    The chinese vehicles are going to be scrutinized very carefully ala the food and paint problems. That economy is like the wild west with it's snake potions. There is no quality control especially for safety issues and I can't see myself driving a chinese made car any time within the next twenty years at least. I just wouldn't trust the parts that if they break---could kill you. I just wish there was some way to pinpoint if there are any chinese made parts in the current autos we are buying. Like food, it is just some ingredients that are listed but not from where.
  • schandaischandai Member Posts: 10
    oh, slow down there. Don't be so a paranoid, passing judgment even before anyone has seen their cars here.

Getting off topics here, but, do you know all the toy/food stuff is actually made for and imported by American companies like Mattel? Sure the Chinese is partly responsible, but more responsibility rests with our very own american companies.
    I already have a Chinese made Quad, that is pretty remarkable in its technology, features, and quality, for the price. Not saying my Japanese bikes aren't better, but for a fraction of the price, this little bike is amazing. Maybe I'd better check the paint for lead....nah, I don't care. I grew up in a crib painted with lead - and my lung is great!
  • serenity185serenity185 Member Posts: 22
    I know what I'm saying has pretty much been said already, but since the topic of the '06-07 Sonata's still going strong, what the heck.

I test drove a 2006 Sonata GLS V6 recently and was pretty impressed overall. The car was extremely quiet (especially compared with my Neon), had a smooth, powerful engine, and the exterior and interior looked very nice. My only gripes were that the steering was vague and that I heard the suspension noise I read so much about. In the end, I decided to wait a year or two to purchase another vehicle, but I'll definitely keep the Sonata in mind. It deserves to have done as well as it has.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    I guess you drove a USED Sonata, did you? The suspension noise (rear suspension) is a known issue, and should be repaired under warranty, replacing the rear shocks.
  • slamtazslamtaz Member Posts: 55
    Thanks in advance for those who will contribute their know how..

1. I recall reading that the maximum passenger & luggage weight is 860 lbs, is this correct?

2. Is it true that manufacturers set this at a certain percentage below the real tolerance limit for maximum passenger & luggage weight?

3. Has anybody here tried loading their sonata up to, let's say 1,000 lbs? for how far did you travel & how much time did it take you to do this?

4. Are you suppose to keep the tire pressure the same regardless of the total load/weight put into the car? and is it recommended to travel at less speed or it doesn't matter?
    Under serious load conditions, the Sonata bottoms out very easily. It's not a heavy duty car, but under normal situations, it's very good.