Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    We have to jump a number of cars on our lot from time to time. I'm not sure it is the batteries fault more than just sitting and not being driven. If I let one of my cars sit in storage for to long without starting and driving it the battery has gone/will go bad. ???
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    This reads as a fantastic, honest, thorough 2 year review. Kudos!!

I hope Hyundai does, too, especially in the SUVs.

Word has it diesel options should arrive soon, as with a lot of other automakers around the end of the decade, such as Honda you mentioned. I hear the first one would be in the Veracruz. I'd root for Hyundai (and other makers) to bring their whole diesel lineups to the states :)
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    A waste to use synthetic oil for 3,000 mile changes...throwing out money actually. You could double your change interval with no problems whatsoever actually. Did you look at your owners manual to see what it said about frequency and types of oil to use? Any good quality dino oil will give the same protection if you still insist on the 3,000 mile swap. You should really check out the Synthetic Oil forum here. There are some guys in there who will tell you the same thing and they do know what they're talking about.
    Hate to see folks waste $ and petroleum products if it's not necessary. People should really read their owners manual.

The Sandman :)
  • To each their own, Sandman.

And yes, I did read the owner's manual front to back the day after I purchased the car. FYI, page 5-6 states that oil should be changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months for Schedule B, and every vehicle in my area automatically classifies as Schedule B.

I'd rather not get in an argument with Hyundai regarding the merits of synthetic oil should I have a motor failure between now and 8 years later or 100,000 miles, so I stick with their interval recommendations and rest easy. It's cheap insurance. Oh, and I work in the oil industry ;)

-Ty
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    A waste to use synthetic oil for 3,000 mile changes...throwing out money actually.

If you plan on keeping the car well beyond 150,000 miles, synthetic could possibly be beneficial. That's where dino oil related wear begins to show up.
  • gandb777gandb777 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 5 cylinder,
    automatic, that I purchased new about 3 months ago.
    I now have 9000 miles on this car.
    I am currently experiencing a problem with a
    vibration that occurs between 45 mph and 50 mph.
    This problem occurs when in full automatic mode
    and when applying slight pressure on the accelerator.
    When I am shifting the transmission myself and am in 4th gear, this problem does not occur.
    I have had the car into the dealer that I purchased it
    from. They have test driven the car and do recognize
    that the vibration does occur, but they say there is
    nothing they can do
    They say this occurs when the torque convertor is
    trying to go into some sort of lockup or something,
    and that this acts as an overdrive to aid gas mileage.
    However, they say they have nothing from Hyundai to
    fix the situation and that I must contact Hyundai
    directly. When I am shifting the transmission myself,
    they say this shift to "overdrive" does not occur and
    consequently no problem. They indicate that all the
    Sonata GLS,s with automatic have this same problem.
    My Dealer refuses to get involved even though I spoke
    a couple of times with the Service Manager and also
    the dealership General Manager.
    I have not yet contacted Hyundai directly but am
    wondering if anyone else has this type of problem with
    a Hyundai GLS 4 cylinder with automatic.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    All modern cars now have a trickle current usage even when they just sit unused. The electronics are all "on" all the time...this includes various things such as the engine management computer, clocks, various displays all draw current even when the items are shut off. In "the old days" i.e. pre-electronic management systems when the car was off it was OFF. Now it is never truly off. Additionally, all the toys available now are taxing the 12 volt electrical systems on vehicles (manufacturers were/are looking into increasing the voltage of vehicle electrical systems to something around 30 volts) so perhaps the battery is never truly charged these days and the excess load leads to premature failure?....
    What you are saying is exactly true. However, the battery drain is very low. The always on circuits, clocks, odometer, etc. could be run on a watch battery.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Additionally, all the toys available now are taxing the 12 volt electrical systems on vehicles (manufacturers were/are looking into increasing the voltage of vehicle electrical systems to something around 30 volts)

Actually, it's 42 volt systems that are under testing now, to accomodate all the electrical toys that are on cars.
  • jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    I've seen a lot of posts about mechanical issues on the Sonata, but luckily have not experienced any with my 2006 GLS V6 during the 18,000 miles that I have driven it. I have, however, had to make warranty claims on interior components that I have never had a problem with in any other car (this is my first Hyundai) that I have owned. The first thing to create problems was the clock spring in the steering wheel, which sounded like it wires were getting bound up whenever I turned the wheel. Very annoying. My dealer replaced the clock spring, but it still makes noise, just not as bad. I had to have the driver sun visor replaced after the plastic on the hinge side broke off. The visor would not stay in any position except hanging down in my line of vision, so had to tie it up with twine. After some dealer foul-ups, that was finally fixed. A couple of weeks ago I found a crack in my dash board. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the top dash pad. Just got it back and found they had scuffed the leather on the steering wheel, and possible cracked the "glass" over the guages. My complaints at this point are definitely more with the service tech's competence level, but it seems to me the quality of the interior components is lacking, which is disappointing. Other than that, I love this car!
  • jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    Oops! I forgot I actually had a question to ask in my post. My dealer is ordering a new steering wheel to replace the one they scuffed while changing out the dash pad. Is there any reason they couldn't put one on that has all the radio controls that they are putting on the new ones?
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    You have to get your dealer's good will to do that, since he will need to do some re-wiring, so the added buttons actually do their job in regards to your audio system.... Besides of ordering the '08 version of the steering wheel, of course.

Maybe the dealer, after screwing up, will feel obligated to be extra nice to you?
    In my experience, if there is a weakness in the Hyundai cars yet - it's in the interior pieces, their quality and their ability to stand up to routine work and stress. I have found, at least, the dealers are usually happy to try to make the customer happy, fixing without complaint, anything that breaks or wears prematurely.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Which Hyundais do you have experience with? The interiors on the two Elantras I've owned have held up very well. Both still look like new, except soil on the driver's floormat. None of the dozen or so 2006+ Sonatas I've driven, most rentals with a few miles to over 20k miles, have shown any wear or had any rattles in the interior.
    Elantras & Sonatas, mostly Elantras seem to bow to stress the most. Steering wheels wear out if abused, plastic doors break, ash trays malfunction and come out. Now, I'm talking abuse here, not good care - and I'm not knocking the cars, I like them, own a Sonata right now myself, but I said IF there's a weakness in the Hyundais, that's where I think it may be. Please don't overreact to my assertion, I'm a Hyundai fan.
    I'm not overracting, just trying to understand your point of view. Thanks for the clarification. Since I don't abuse my cars, that's probably why I've never had any interior problems on my Hyundais. I' ve never abused any of my cars, but I have had interior problems (e.g rattles, trim falling off, fabric door trim pulling out etc.) on other makes. Rental cars can be abused, and the interiors Sonatas and Elantras I've rented have seemed to hold up very well under rental car use. That's just my experience, take it for what it is.
    I buy about 50 cars per year at auctions, where those rental cars end up. Finding an Elantra that has been a rental that has everything intact inside, is difficult to do some days. Out of 10, maybe 2 are in "good shape" inside. The rest usually have some damage, and abuse probably has a role played in it. How well a car holds up to tough conditions or abuse is a measure of their resilience wouldn't you say? It's one thing to rent a car in mid term somewhere, another to see the cars when they are pulled from the fleet and sold, after they've done their service. I rented a Kia Sportage in Costa Rica this spring, and it was in reasonably good shape, other than the tires, which were dangerous, IMO. It was an Avis car, but evidently in CR, even Avis doesn't rent cars at the level of maintenance as they do in the States. Other than that, the car was all there. But I wonder what kind of shape it will be in when it's retired? My experience with KIAs in the states hasn't been great. In Costa Rica, it was a high end car!
  • duke16duke16 Member Posts: 36
    As of Aug.'07 Hyundai will no longer be selling its cars to rental companies.Thats the reason you see so many Hyundai's at the auctons They have to sell them per Hyundai's orders.
    Woh, that's very interesting! Is there a news story or other announcement you can share with us, I'd like to see all the details.

While I think this is a good step for Hyundai, I will be sad not to be able to rent Hyundais like the Sonata. I just got a Sonata V6 last week on a long-distance business trip, and it was a pleasant travel companion.
    Article appeared in Las Vegas Reveiw Journal.
    Can you be any more specific, e.g. do you know about when the article was published? I searched Google and the newspaper's web site and could find nothing about the Sonata and fleet sales. Thanks.
  • tincan7tincan7 Member Posts: 1
    Any one know how to change that 3rd brake light.

Do you have to unbolt it

Can not seem to figure it out.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    AM antenna is very picky about having thing metallic near it. The tinning material would act like a signal shield that cuts down signal getting to the radio. It is no different than listening to radio while driving under long bridges and tunnels.

The Sonata antenna is near the rear defroster wires (probably just above then like typical vehicles)

jt
    Hyundai will no longer be availble from rental companies.This notice appeared back in August '07,in news papers,and the August issue of Motor Trend.
  • vabearvabear Member Posts: 18
    i took the oil filter reservoir cap off to change the filter, and the center post fell out (my bad). I need to know which end of the post goes to the bottom of the reservoir, the end with the "O" ring or the end without. I assume the "O" ring end but assumptions can be tricky. i do have the maintenance CD on the way but can't wait that long.
  • wanna_azzywanna_azzy Member Posts: 41
    As I recall, the o-ring end goes into the cap. I remember mine fitting snugly with the new o-ring provided in the filter box. Make sure you remove and replace the o-rings. Good luck.
    All is well, the large end of the post snaps into the cap, in my case the post had fallen out and I was not smart enough to look and see if the post snapped into the cap, SO, when I replaced the cap it did not seat as the post was impeding the cap seating, after removal and inspection, I snapped the post (large end) into the cap and then she seated and the oil leak is no more.
    Well, here's my story/
    In May of 2007 I purchased two Hyundai Sonatas. One is the Limited, 6 cyl, automatic. The second is a GLS 4 cyl automatic.

The Limited seems fine to-date. but I have a continuing problem with the GLS.
    At a constant speed betwen 45 mph and 50 mph I experience a vibration problem. This seems to emanate in the transmission.

At the first oil change I reported this problem to my Hyundai dealer service, Had them take a test drive with me, and the Tech said this seemed to come from the torque converter. The service manager said the same, but said they had no error codes and nothing from Hyundai on this problem. He said there was nothing they could do. He did say however it was good I reported it as they may come up with something in the future and this way I am on record.
    I was told by the dealership general manager that they do not carry customer problems to Hyundai and that I would have to call Hyundai Customer Service myself. In other words, the dealer bowed out.

I did call Hyundai and talked to a phone rep named Nick. He said he would contact the dealer and get back to me. After not hearing from him for about a week, I called again and Nick was busy but I got the message that he had called the wrong dealer. I gave Customer service the correct dealer again.
    After another week went by, I called Nick again and was told he couldn't contact me because he was calling the wrong number
    I then asked to talk to a Supervisor. Two days later a Hyundai supervisor did call me and said he would look into it but it could take a couple of weeks.

One week later the dealer service manager called me and said a Factory Rep was in and "would I like to bring my car in?"
    I did, and subsequently went for a test drive with the Factory rep and the Service Manager.
    When I experienced the vibration I asked the Rep if he could feel the same and he said he felt nothing. I asked the Service Manager (who had previously experienced it) and He said, "I don't know , I was looking at the tach"
    To make a long story short , the Factory Rep said "Are you talking about the torque converter lockup? Thats normal".
    From that point on, the Factory Rep would only repeat that it was performing to company standards and that it is no different that any other Hyundai 4 cylinder.
    So bottom line, I have a 2007 Hyundai GLS 4 cyl, automatic that has a vibration problem between 45 mph and 50 mph. It is such that people riding with me have asked what that is?
    Also, it is something that Hyundai will not admit is a problem and will do nothing.
    I don't know if this problem is unique to my GLs. If so than the Hyundai rep wasn't being honest with me.
    If this problem occurs in all 2007 Hyundai GLS's then Hyundai has a problem they're not addressing.

In any case, after buying two 2007 Sonatas based in large part on their warranty claims, I feel like I made a mistake. Based on this experience I will never purchase another Hyundai product.
  • bchris6648bchris6648 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a 2007 Sonata GLS 4cyl 5speed man back in May and I believe I have the same shake you described. I believe it is one of the front tires. I have not taken it to anyone nor have I even been back to the dealer as I detest garages and I do my own service. I guess I have another 60,000 miles until I find out if I am right either way at $13,900 I win! I really enjoy the car and plan purchase another Hyundai, hopefully the Azera, when I am through with the Sonata! ;)
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    ...I don't know if this problem is unique to my GLs....

One way to find out is to ask your dealer or another dealer to let you test drive a 2007 GLS and see if it does the same thing.
    I have the same car you have, but a year older ('06), and I don't hear or feel anything unusual at the speed you mentioned....

However, I know some other owners were mentioning a vibraion or shudder at that specific speed. And most were actually V6 owners. And yes, the culprit seems to be the torque converter lockup, when apparently the car shifts to overdrive prematurely. This has been addressed in other Sonata boards I frequent, and I'm trying to find out if there was any resolution to the problem. Stay tuned.

But whatever the results, please consider the fact that this is not necessarily a "Hyundai" issue, but MANY other cars have it. I read quite a few of the new Civic owners discussing the same issue...
    OK then, if I read this whole episode correctly you have two Sonata's one a V-6 (which is fine by the way) and another that is a 4 cylinder that makes a vibration that falls within a very narrow band (5 mph) then is GONE..correct so far? The Hyundai rep. then rode in the car and pronounced it to be the torque converter "lock-up" which is normal on all cars (and it is with varying degrees of "vibration" or noticeability). Without trying to see if it is indeed normal on other 4 cylinder Sonata's (by simply test driving a few) you are now bitter and pronounce that you will never buy another Hyundai ? Wow, what an incredible lack of willing to work with the dealer, a lack of faith that it may be normal, a lack of interest in trying to find out (other than taking someone elses word) if it is normal or not. The first thing you need to do is drive another or more than one to see for yourself. If normal quickly pass through that speed band and forget about it..if not persist in trying to get it resolved at your dealer or if that fails another Hyundai dealer because they are not the same when it comes to service. How can you state that you made a mistake in buying Sonata's if one meets your approval and the other has such a minor problem??? Hyundai has attempted to verify your complaint as an actual problem and according to them it isn't. Since it is in their (Hyundai's) best interest to fix this and make you a "happy camper" and since they didn't it may not be a problem after all only an irritant specific to you.
    Ganb,
    I hear your frustration in your post. You might try a tranny flush at your expense if it bothers you as much as it sounds. My Mustang did the same thing and a flush fixed it. I know you think Hyundai should pay for it but if it was my car I would try it.

That's all I can suggest.
    Craig
    My experience with people (and I'm not a psychologist, not even a social worker, just old, mmmm, very old), is that the same exact sound would make one car owner absolutely annoyed, irritant to a point of getting crazy, while another person would hardly even notice it.

That's why I support the idea of test driving another comparable car. It may be typical part of the design of the car, but it may as well be an anomaly typical to only YOUR car (and a few others who've been complaining)... I, for example, am quite attentive to my car's ('06 I-4 GLS) sounds and behavior, and have never noticed anything different at 40-45mph...

So go back to your dealer and challenge him. If the claim is that this is normal, then you want to have the chance to test it on another car... (Sure a better idea than spending some $150 on a tranny flush, when it's practically a new one.)

Please keep us posted, gandb.
    I think you are overlooking what I said regarding the actions of the dealer and the the manufacturer when I approached them with this problem.
    Oh well, I only paid $20,000 for this car so I guess I shouldn't expect everything to work well.
    By the way targettuning. do you have any association with Hyundai?
    Agree with targettuning and mamamia. Approach the dealer and Hyundai Rep. without anger and give them a chance to help you. Showing hostility makes it very difficult for them to help you. Being unreasonable removes all possibility of correcting the problem, and spoils an otherwise great ownership experience. If the dealer and Hyundai rep are like most people, they like to see people get what they deserve. If you're nice, they will be far more likely to help you. I know it's frustrating, because you feel they hold all the cards, and you feel it's your right to get the car fixed. Well, that doesn't make it right to be unreasonable with them. Work with them in a congenial manner and I guarantee you'll get it fixed. ;)
    Nope, I'm not overlooking anything. You approached Hyundai with a complaint...they (Hyundai) sent a company rep., he listened to your car and pronounced it normal and you don't agree with that pronouncement. If you don't have any reference as to whether or not it IS normal you have no valid basis for your complaint (except that it bugs you specifically and,normal or not, it still bugs you). Until you satisfy yourself by driving several other cars with your specific engine and transmission combination to verify that: A.) none of the others do it. B.) all of the others do it or C.) SOME of the others do it you are just wasting time and energy by venting here. Nobody here can tell you more than the combined efforts of your dealer and the Hyundai representative did. If that doesn;t satisfy you then A.) try another dealer or B.) see above recommendation with regard to driving another like car.
    Yeah, you should expect things to work right (and they MAY be working right but you'll never know )...and finally do I have any association with Hyundai? Nope, except I've owned three (additionally my daughter owns one) and have been nothing but pleased. Oh, on our second Santa Fe the digital clock display periodically went blank then returned, it was replaced under warranty. Our 2000 Elantra currently has 172,000+ miles and my son's commute is adding 100 miles a day to that total. It has had an alternator fail @ around 150,000 miles and aside from routine items that's it. I like Hyundai cars a damn site better than the current Honda Civic we own (an 2006 EX sedan) so maybe you're asking the wrong person.
    make that a "damn sight" better.
    Not sure this is relevant, but the last Hyundai I owned was an '89 GLS with 4 Cyl Mitsu engine. AC/PS/PB/tilt/cruise/ABS/4speed auto with O'Drive. I driove that car for 100,000 miles before trading it off and I had no issues with it (nothing failed or quit) build quaity was not yet at Toyota or Honda standards but she ran, and ran, and ran. My current ride is a 2007 Sonata Limited with Moonroof, 3,000 miles on her and no complaints.
    Mama,
    My suggestion for a tranny flush was ,and I should have stated, a last ditch effort to correct the problem.

Ganb,
    Please keep us advised on the outcome of this.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    If you don't have success with your dealer, go to another Hyundai dealer. It's a Hyundai manufacturer's warranty, and not a dealer warranty, therefore, any Hyundai dealer can, and will, do warranty work on your car.

Our local Hyundai dealer is absolutely fantastic, and they will contact Hyundai Service on a customer's behalf. Frankly, this sounds like it may be dealer-oriented problem, especially since they stated their policy is to not initiate contact with Hyundai directly.

I didn't buy our Hyundai from our local dealer, but they treat me like royalty, as if I paid top dollar from their sales department. Don't automatically trash Hyundai, as you have an excellent warranty and plenty of dealers to choose from.

And, only $20,000 dollars . . . I guess you have far more disposable income than I do, as I consider $20K as not disposable pocket change. Continue to work on the problem with your dealer, or another dealer, and I'm sure all will work out fine.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    One other thing . . . it sounds like torque converter shudder to me, a somewhat common problem in any car with an automatic transmission when the ATF level is either too low or a bit too high.

Although I'm sure you've checked, wheel balance (or, more specifically imbalance) can appear as a somewhat similar shudder. And, wheel imbalance is most noticeable within the speed range you specified.

Good luck.
    Colloquor is here with some good (and some even fresh) ideas... Me too, I had an annoying whining/wheezing noise coming from the engine that my dealer couldn't/wouldn't hear and gave me excuses (including the "fact" that the Hyundai rep tested the car and heard nothing abnormal)....

...I called Hyundai, and called them again, and finally got in touch with their regional manager who simply offered me to try another dealer... I asked him to give me a name of a dealer he'd recommend, and he gave me a name of one 45 minutes away, and even called the manager there to let him know I'm about to call.

...Within 5 minutes of test-driving my car, the manager there was able to locate the source of the noise, and a week later a part (Power Steering pump) was replaced and the whining was gone.

I'm also impressed with the idea of the AF level as the culprit.... Interesting... I hope gandb checks into it too, and reports back...

Yes, vibrations at 40-45mph coming not from the transmission but from the wheels is something that I've read about in the past (here too, I think)... Maybe a good way to check this is shifting to Neutral while maintaining the speed range and the vibrations occuring. If you still feel the vibrations, obviously it's not originating in the transmission...

One other idea I've read in another Sonata board (alas, the moderator here forbids us to post links to "competing" boards), is trying an ECU (computer) update.... He claims this has helped him significantly, mostly with the way his transmission behaved. Worth a try, I'd say.

Hope we are helping here. Keep us posted, gandb777.
    Gandb,
    What ever happened to the "my car sounds like a diesel now" that you experienced a month or so ago? Anything happen there?
    Sounds like he (she) is experiencing a lot of trouble considering he (she) owns two 2007 cars. The automotive version of a hypochondriac????
  • bchris6648bchris6648 Member Posts: 5
    I think that comment is a bit harsh considering that I posted a similar shake which I attributed to an out of balance tire. I am also surprised that an out of balance tire(s) is so quickly dismissed considering that the I-4 and the V6 have completely different tire/wheel combinations specifically the GLS I-4 with 16 in and the LX V6 with 17 in rims.
    No offense anyone but I was wondering if he was/is a plant from the Camry board. :P
    a hypochondriac? Comon. He owns 2 Sonatas, one he loves, has no problem whatsoever with, the other having this problem with vibrations at a certain speed. That's no hypochondriac to me. I know a hypochondriac, my first wife was one.... brrrr.... She's just divorced again, I heard. :P
    I didn't dismiss any possibilites for the causes of this "vibration". In fact I agree with those possibilities ...I only dismiss the validity of someone who decides that buying Hyundai was a "mistake" especially when the "problem" is relatively minor (from the description) AND is totally satisfied with the second of two Hyundai products owned. And I dismiss the seriousness of finding the true cause when the thought of driving a number of identical of cars to find out if what irritates this person is in fact a problem or, as the Hyundai representative said, normal OR finding a second opinion at another dealer. These options apparently never crossed this persons mind. Instead what he (she) did think was...I'll never buy another Hyundai. This is an illogical statement and a rush to judgement as well.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're not here to talk about other posters, please. If you don't believe a post, just skip it. No need to start ascribing all kinds of motives to the person who made it.