Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
Please post your buying Experience here!

Comments

• confuzedconfuzed Member Posts: 5
    Purchased '04 2.5T (non AWD) Crystal Green with Premium, Touring & Climate pkgs. Also Rainsensor, Backup Warning, 17" wheels & Xenon lights. Got $8K off MSRP in Austin, TX. Paid about $34K + change for MSRP $42K. Incredibly happy with deal and car. Also got 3.9% financing thru Volvo!
  • beer4704beer4704 Member Posts: 46
    Base model...What are some good prices lately. Beautiful car but a bit pricey in my opinion. I love the "heft" of the vehicle but I am wary of the repair nightmares I read about. Driver's seat seems very comfortable. I drive about 30K a year so comfort is important. Reliability is also important going forward. Any experiences I would love to hear about, thanks!
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Huge incentives and discounts on new S80's (totalling $5-8K) should drive down the prices of slightly used ones accordingly. So you might look for one of those. Base model seats aren't as comfy as T-6's, but still some of the best you'll ever experience. Better than anything German.

Buy a Certified Used '04, or buy new and don't get the extended warranty until the factory one is about to expire. S80 is much better choice than ubiquitous M-B and BMW these days. (Who DOESN'T have one of those?).

If reliability is TRULY paramount, buy a soon-to-be-extinct Lexus GS. Deals are good, but seat comfort will still pale by comparison....
  • itrollsitrolls Member Posts: 11
    Brand new 2004 s80 t6 with climate package MSRP of 46k available for sale at 34K... How is the reliability on these cars. Anyone know why these cars depreciate so fast?
  • mdavidovichmdavidovich Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2001 with 69K from a import used car dealer in Dallas, TX. Paid 12,999.00 for it in immaculate condition. Love it so far & with the $1800 bumper to bumper extended warranty for 3 years of $36K miles feel good about it. Drove the MB E class same year for 5K more but went Volvo instead. Better ride & feel. Also I am an auto insurance adjuster & have done appraisals on some vicious Volvo wrecks where drivers walked away with minor injuries. In most cars they would have been fatalities, or major injuries. Great car love it for all of the righ5 reasons.
  • dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    Because they are not reliable and the dealers cannot fix them! RUN AWAY!!!! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    They were never sold at MSRP at first place, the selling price for a 2005MY is, more likely in the neighborhood of 42K, plus T6 engine is discontinued (or just about to be discontinued) and dealers are dumping existing T6s.

The depreciation of 10-15% in one year is very typical. It is 2-3K for a 20K car (Camry, Accord) and 4-6K for a 40K car.

I've just looked it up.
    First year depreciation

Accord V6 - 2300, Camry V6 - 2100, Volvo S80 2.9 - 2900 - so proportionally, Volvo depreciates less.

Kelly Blue Book named Volvo XC90 the best value keeper among SUVs.

Look up True cost to own figures here on Edmunds, and you will see that most of the cars depreciate at the same rate. It is more visible though for the more expensive cars, because of the bigger absolute numbers.

The reliability of S80 after 2001MY is average - nothing spectacular, but also nothing to worry about. The technological safety advances, quality of ride, interior space, seats, decent pricing, etc. give this car a definite edge over her competitors IMHO.
    As I posted on other board - just look harder for the decent repair shop. My friend - an independent Volvo/SAAB repair shop owner knows S800 from inside out.

The dealership I use till my warranty has expired was pretty good too.
  • itrollsitrolls Member Posts: 11
    I guess that makes a brand new S80 T6 at 34k a really good deal. I never would have thought that Volvo would discount 12k off sticker.
    They were discounting 8500 off 25K S40 at the model change over.
  • dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    And your friend has the computers and software necessary to access those in the S80 T6? It is a shame he is not in the Tampa Bay area, because these stealerships are CLUELESS! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Sure,
    I do not know if you aware but with VADIS system you can buy a terminal and a software (it is not as expensive, I think, around $1000) and do your own diagnostic, getting software upgrades from Volvo from time to time. I even think that you can have Volvo accessing your car directly from Sweden, if required.
    Volvomax can correct me on that.
  • hcorrea228hcorrea228 Member Posts: 11
    Purchasing from a “New” Volvo dealer in Chicago. This is an 04 Volvo Certified S80 T6 Premier. Good Condition with 35,000 rounds.... Dealer will take $28,000 plus TTL and doc. Basic Premier, no Upgraded Stereo, Navigation, 4-C Chaises, Fridge, Reverse Assist or Rear Door Sun Blinds. Vehicle will be Certified through Sept 2009. Looking for some advice, Is this a good deal?

2004 Volvo S80 T6 Premier:

Mileage: 35,000

Color: Black / Graphite Leather

Major Options: Xenon Headlamps, Electric Rear Sun Blind, Heated Seats Front and Rear, Radio Single CD-player, Radio / Cassette, Cruise, Power Moon Roof, Homelink, DSTC, Power Seats Driver Memory Seat, Rear Seat Entertainment Center DVD player w/ Wireless Head Phone and Remote; Dual Screen DVD / 64 Channel TV Monitor.

Condition: Good Interior / Exterior

Only Upgrades / Options from Std T6 Premier Package are the Xenon Headlamps

All information, opinions assistance, etc would be much appreciated! Thanks!
  • voldovoldo Member Posts: 2
    Hi. Just bought a 2004 S80 AWD with 17 K miles, certified. I've paid $25k for it and I think it's a very good deal.
    It does not have DSTC and I hear it is imposible to install it aftermarket. Is that so? Anyone knows about this?
    Do not worry about it. The AWD + TRACS (standard traction control) should serve you just fine... Your money will be better spent on a set of winter tires, if you live in a snowy area.
  • rlewrlew Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into a 2005 s80 t6 and I saw the $8,000 marketing support given
    to dealers. How will this effect my purchasing price? Or can I use this
    on my negotiation.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    The actual dealer cost is $8k below the invoice (NOT MSRP). You should start your negotiation from 42434 (T6 invoice) - 8000 + reasonable dealer profit (few hundred dollars. this amount is up to you to decide).

MUST let your sales guy/gal know that you are aware of the $8k incentive.
  • carefreecarefree Member Posts: 7
    I am exchanging emails with a Volvo dealer to lease a S80 2.5T AWD- with audio and Nav, Premium and climate pkg. With 0 down he gave me a figure of 726.80 for a 36 month / 36 K lease. (!!)

When I mentioned to him that Volvo is offering 7500 off from MSRP in public advertising , he said that they get dealer cash from Volvo only if they sell a car but not for lease, which I think is incorrect.

On Volvo's webiste, a base model of S80 - 2.5T FWD is for lease at appx $400 pm with 4K down and that too when the gross capitalized cost is the MSRP.

I would appreciate the wise words form somebody on what should be :
    1. Appx. lease rate if I lease AWD with Nav. / Audio/ Premium.
    And 2. if I lease FWD with Premium
  • westeemwesteem Member Posts: 49
  • westeemwesteem Member Posts: 49
    Does anyone have a problem with their power steering shutting down while driving? The dealer has had my car for one week and cannot find the problem. They cannot duplicate the problem on test drives and therefore said they don't know how to fix it. The power steering will come off and on while driving. Parking with it off is like trying to park a truck with no power steering.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Please visit our regular Volvo S80 discussion, as this one is focused on pricing. You'll find current owners hanging out in the topic linked above.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• colovolvocolovolvo Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem with my 99 S80. Through a process of elimination, my mechanic and I figured out that it is the stepper motor that sits on top of the rack and pinion that is blown. Also called the variable assist motor. Costs $75 to buy but labor is very expensive for this job. You do not have to change the entire steering rack.
    Good luck.
  • finnerfinner Member Posts: 10
    Just picked up my New Volvo S-80 from Bill Kidd's Volvo in Cockeysville, Maryland. Now is the time to purchase. Volvo is giving it's dealers $5000. rebate to move the S-80 In addition, if you are a current Volvo owner, (Volvo Loyalty S-80 Program) they will give you an additional $2000. Not necessary to trade a Volvo in, just be a Volvo owner.
  • shoresailingshoresailing Member Posts: 29
    Finner, How did you know about the $5K rebate and additional $2K loyalty.

Has anyone else seen these rebates?

I purchased a new XC90 in mid-April with similar rebates and managed to purchased the vehicle for more than 27% off MSRP ($13,700 off sticker). I've been happy with the XC90 and would love to replace my '01 buick regal with a S80 at similar savings.
  • lgj069lgj069 Member Posts: 7
    My 85 accord will not start.I replaced the fuel pump and it ran for one day.I have tested the sensors,ignitor,coil,distributor,alternator,main fuel relay
    and some other items I cant think of right now,still no start.It turns over just fine,but will not start!!HELP!!!!
    Thanx Larry
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,774
    Hi Larry...

Since this board is specific to Volvo S80 pricing, you might have better luck posting here: "No Start" Problems

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sierranevadasierranevada Member Posts: 1
    Finner, I also would like to know about the $5K rebate and $2k loyalty? My 2000 S80 was just totaled so I will be looking for a new car. Considering that according to both the police and body shop, the Volvo was responsible for me walking away with no injuries, I would like to get the same. The rebate and loyalty monies would very helpful!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    For the loyalty rebate you need proof that you currently own a Volvo. so a current registration.
    The $5k is combined w/ the loyalty rebate,so total incentive is $7,000.
    Sorry it took so long to get back but, I was on vacation. I saw the car on another dealers lot with the price on the windshield. I spoke to the salesperson :) at this location but, wasn't impressed with the dealership. When I went to the dealership where I purchased, the dealer matched the price with no haggle.
  • johnjohn2johnjohn2 Member Posts: 2
  • johnjohn2johnjohn2 Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up a S80T with 78,000 on it froma a local dealer, not volvo, and I need to know what work should have been done or should be done soon...Car rides/looks awesome.
  • shoresailingshoresailing Member Posts: 29
    Finner, Best of Luck with the new wheels. Don't forget to report back after you have driven for a few miles.
    Shoresailing: Had the car for little over a month and has 1100 miles on it. Car rides like a dream and very quiet inside. Dealer told me to use regular gas and have had no problems. If fact, wife wants to drive it instead of her S-70 GLT. :)
  • jarchdeaconjarchdeacon Member Posts: 22
    My old 2000 S80 T6 is nearing 100,000 miles (we are the original owners). We bought the extended warranty from Volvo when we bought the car, and are glad we did as we have had some expensive repairs along the way. With the extended warranty, we only have to shell out $100 for each new incident (per our extended warranty). We wouldn't mind keeping the car a bit longer (maybe another 25,000 or 35,000 miles) but don't know if the extended warranty can be extended again or not. The local Volvo dealer said "no, don't think so". I am wondering if someone has any other experience on this? Anyone ever extended an extended warranty?
  • martyfmartyf Member Posts: 10
    We own a 2004 XC90 and bought a 2006 S80 about 3 weeks ago. Drives very well and I like the 5 Turbo/5 Speed combo - the same as our XC90. I realize it is the end of this model but the deal was very good - a little over $7000 under invoice.
  • volvostickmanvolvostickman Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I tried very hard to extend mine, the dealer absolutely refused.
    I have a question on your extended warranty experience, however. For each repair, my dealer charges me both the deductable and the diagnostics work, which they claim isn't covered by the warranty, only the repair itself is covered. Is this consistent, I've had a lot done, thinking of going to small claims court to recoup the diagnostics fees (several thousand dollars) since I can't find any fine print in the warranty stating this.
  • stevedc34stevedc34 Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone priced the new s80? Any current incentives?
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    Hello all, Local dealer has a 2.5T S80 in white with about 11,000 miles on odometer on sale for $30,995. I know that some of you out there have gotten similar price for a brand new S80. With redesigned S80 coming out soon, would $25,000 a fair offer on slightly used outgoing S80? I think $30,995 is waaaay too high. Also, how much is a Volvo extended warrnaty for a S80?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • billodbillod Member Posts: 31
    Just bought a 2003 T6 which has Eagle GT tires. The tires handle good but they are quite noisy. Any suggestions for quieter tires that handle well?
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    new S80 will be a slow seller. the current MSRP is a joke. I'm sure there will be a HUGE incentive few months after introduction. be patient.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,774
    I'm not sure if they are offered in your tire size...

But, you might try the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V..

They get great reviews.... sort of pricy.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    Here it is- 07 V8 AWD Sport/ Climate/ Audio/ Electic Silver Met- 24 Mo Zero cap cost reduction- 12K / yr- $711/ mo + Tax. MF .00147 resid 66%. Need immediate help on this one- you lurking Volvomax?
  • stickyfeetstickyfeet Member Posts: 11
    not much talk about buying the new 07 s80.......i would have thought someone would have commented on their purchase experience.
  • capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    The dealer that I did not buy from in late January, when purchase/ lease plans absolutely suc#d, still has every single one of the s80's he had then...all lined up in a row. Unless advertising is ramped up, great deals are published, and the car wins or at least comes close in a comparo, the new s80 will not overcome it's legacy, IMHO. And I'm coming off 10 years of volvo ownership, including an s80 t6.
  • travispetetravispete Member Posts: 24
    Just drove home from dealership. Got what I think is a great deal on a new S80 3.2

24 mo
    10,500 miles per year
    $2000 drive offs
    sport, climate, personal communicator, metallic paint, free bluetooth
    505/mo inc tax

Maybe could have sqeezed lower, but they were selling at or below invoice and I had a trade.
  • beopersonbeoperson Member Posts: 74
    travispete
    Can you please post MSRP and Lease Price of the vehicle
    Thanks!
  • travispetetravispete Member Posts: 24
    it was a while ago, but msrp was 44680 and seling price was around 39k
    Thanks for this number!
    Will see if they can match it NJ.

I've seen post about 5K rebate on top of 2K loyalty.
    I wonder if that's true?
    OK
    Here is offer I got: 35,750 for a car with MSRP 40.600
    Getting closer...

24 Month 10.5K miles lease numbers come out to $410 including NY sales tax.

almost 5K off MSRP, will it getter any better?
  • osu18osu18 Member Posts: 18
    Aside from an average $2,100 off plus $2,000 volvo ownership program, what is really a fair price for the car? MSRP is 42,985. If I'm not satisfied with the final price would I lose my deposit on the ordered car?