Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Prices Paid and Buying Experience

lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
Post your buying experience here!

Comments

• mryymryy Member Posts: 15
    today i got a quote from my local VW dealer.

New 2004 Bettle GL 2.0L auto $16,800 + TTL. VW is having $1000 cask back now. so $16,800-$1000 = $15,800.

is it good?

TIA
  • themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    Yes.. My daughters 04 GL Metallic Grey with the Auto 4 speed, had a sticker of $17780 and best we could do was $17400. But they did work with us on the trade and bumped that up a little.

She loves the car.. no problems to report either.
  • becksbecks Member Posts: 3
    Hi:

A dealer in the Palm Beach, Florida area, is offering me this lease:

Price: $27,750
    (Includes Leather, 17 alloy wheels and wind blocker)
    MF: .0012
    Zero down plus they'll cover tag, license and first monthly payment
    $375 plus tax for 48 months
    15,000 miles per year

What do you think?
    R
  • beetlehusbandbeetlehusband Member Posts: 1
    My wife leases a Beetle that she loves. Now my daughter wants one. VW is offering "free" insurance with purchase of Beetle or Golf. Has anyone had any experience with this? Did you try to get a lower price for the car if you did not want the insurance? Is it really no hassle or does a Nationwide agent get your name & want to get your other cars, sell you other types of insurance, etc? Thanks for these or anything else you can tell me.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    What state do you live in? I think the free insurance is only offered in 2 northern/mid western states.
  • jasmith52jasmith52 Member Posts: 462
    Your price seems unreasonabley very high for a 5 1/2 year old car.

What trim level is your Beetle and what options does it have ?
  • ricky7ricky7 Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

I'm looking around for 2005 New Beetle GLS (Auto + ESP Options). After spending couple of weeks on internet research on pricing, the best offer I got so far is $19500 + Taxes, DMV fees. Is it a good price ?

Thanks.
    Considering that the invoice for the 2005 New Beetle GLS (Auto + ESP Options) is only $5 less than your offer, I would say yes that is a very good price.

My only comment is that VW took away the incentives that were available last month. Just maybe, they'll have some low interest loans or dealer cash or even a rebate if you can hold on for a month or two.

Was your price contingent on you financing at a higher rate than a bank would provide. Were they going to lowball your trade ? If that's the case then your price wasn't that great.
    Hi jasmith52,

Thanks for quite useful reply. They are offering me 2.9% APR. I think, I should wait for couple of months as VW is going to inroduce new beetle (Ragster) pretty soon. It may bring down prices for old bettles.

Cheers,
    Ricky
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    Hi,

Found a leftover 2004 gls w/13 miles at a VW dealer. He gave me a price of $18361. I didn't say yes. It's a 2.0 liter model (115 hp with auto) with black leather/sunroof. I don't know much about these cars. Going to do some searches online now. Anyone have an opinion/advice on how to proceed? Are the 2006's much more advanced?

Thanks for any feedback.

Nate
    Hi there,

Its a very good price. I got an offer of $19,000 for 2005 GLS Auto but no leather interior. I don't know what are the differences between 2004 & 2005 beetles but looks like you got a deal. As far as 2006 beetles concerned, shape will be changed outside with little flat touches on sides and roof. Interior will be same. The most important thing for me is I didn't like looks of 2006 beetle. I think 2005 or older beetles looks better. All the best.
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    Thanks for the note. I'm hesitant to buy the car - just read some of the beet problems forum. Will come back and give details if I do.

Thanks again for responding.
  • srikksrikk Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a new 2006 beetle. Paid MSRP. $18800. San Jose California.
  • ctruss02ctruss02 Member Posts: 1
    Would you let me know what strategies you used...I get the same BS about VW never flounders on the displayed price.....HELP
  • edmundsmemberedmundsmember Member Posts: 2
    Oh, please let me know too as I am going around shopping for a 2006 new beetle. What model is that you just bought? Is that a 6-speed automatic, with or without pkg1?

Also, one car dealer that i got a quote for 2006 new beetle 6-speed automatic with pkg1 for $21600 out the door, but I have one concern. He says the car will have more than 50 miles on it because he will have to get it from another dealer and that will be driven from that dealership about 50 miles away. Should I back off from making a deal or be concerned about the vehicle or his offer? I thought a brand new car wouyld not have any miles or may be 4 to 5 miles at the most on it. :confuse: Please advise.

Thanks in advance
    An edmunds member
  • geckoo6geckoo6 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 06 new beetle and have had one thing after another go wrong. First, the inside panel of the trunk was rattling. They said that the clips were broken and had to be replaced. That was at the beginning of Nov. and still have not heard back b/c the parts were not delivered. Then the passenger's side window was misaligned and you could hear the wind hitting as we drove. The emergency break cover came loose almost preventing us from taking the break down. Finally, the automatic trunk opener is not working. So this has turned us into very upset first time new beetle owners. Has anyone else had this experience? :lemon:
  • flequestrianflequestrian Member Posts: 2
    I am selling my 2001 New Beetle. It is the limited "Turbo Sport" edition. It is in very good condition except for a few scrapes and rubs that nobody really notices but me. It has high mileage (74,000) but all on highway. I was wondering what price you think I could get for it. It still has the remainder of the 5 year/100,000 aftermarket warrenty (over in August). FULLY loaded with everything I could add to it. Thanks.
  • flequestrianflequestrian Member Posts: 2
    YES, yes, yes and yes! I've done a lot of looking and it seems that there are more lemons in the VW family than anything else. Advice: Have your dealer on speed dial and find a quick way to his place.. because that is where you will live as long as you own your car.

PS - on a good note, the car handles VERY well (esp in the snow), is VERY safe and adorable looking. :shades:
  • wantabeetlewantabeetle Member Posts: 8
    I bought my 06 bug convertible in Memphis, TN. It's Platinum gray/black top/gray int, package 2 and a CD changer. Paid about $900 below MSRP. I love it so far! :P
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    You should not be worried that the NB will have 50 miles on it. Both, my previous Jetta and my current Passat, were driven in excess of 50 miles to my purchasing dealer. You may not realize this but if you were to buy a Demo with 8000 miles on it it would still be considered a "new" vehicle. A vehicle that has never been titled is considered new, regardless of miles.
  • mwevermwever Member Posts: 1
    Have you bought yet? I have a 2006 Pkg 2 with rubber mats and XM satellite radio. It is Salsa red. I researched throught Florida all by e-mail requests and received a deal for $21,500 with all the above included. I had done my research thru Edmunds and asked for the best price over cost with the options that i wanted.I bought at VW of Ft. Myers. Now 3000 miles later I am happy,happy, happy. :shades:
  • pupspups Member Posts: 2
    Have been seriously looking for a 06 Beetle auto diesel and have gotten similar price quotes throughout the Tampa Bay area. No dealer seems to want to negotiate the price. It is the full MSRP plus. I can only find two beetles in my area. Have ?? regarding the fuel re: can these diesel engines take the new biodiesel fuel? If they can where does one purchase the new fuel in Pinellas County, Fl; and how much does the fuel cost per gal. Don't know if it is really worth the cost(to buy beetle) if I don't see major miles per gal. Have read that the Beetles have major maintenance cost associated with repair to engines. Any feed back. Also the cost quoted to me, not out the door have been over 22,200, w//o pkg 2. Would like to know what others are paying for 06 coupe, with pkg 2, automatic, diesel engine, color red or blue, moonroof a must. Speedy replies welcome. Want to purchase soon. Don't want the dealers to think I am jerking them around as I am a serious buyer.
  • cavebikerscavebikers Member Posts: 3
    Do VW's have more problems? Probably, but I have had a Beetle tdi for 7 years and am now trading for a new one. The diesel engines are very reliable, but the intake may clog with sludge due to EGR and particulates. I had to spend $500 at about 50,000 miles to have mine cleaned out. Other problems were less major and due to normal VW quality control issues. If you want the best in reliability, don't buy a VW. Fuel milage has been steadily 40-50 mpg. BTW, I still like my Beetle.

Price, well, I found a dealer willing to sell at $500 over invoice, but they could not lay their hands on a Salsa. I could have ordered one, but then there is the issue as to what the old one will sell for in 3 months. No problem for silver or gecko immediately. Moonroofs are included in both package 1 or 2. I finally got my Salsa elsewhere, but cost about $200 more. They knew that Salsa was harder to find.
  • tbone76tbone76 Member Posts: 8
    I am in the process of purchasing from a private party a 2001 2.0L Beattle fully loaded 5 speed,Pearl Blue with gray leather inside.The miles are 93,000.
    I checked the Carfax report and it basically stated it was a 1 owner car.The second owner has only had it for 9 months.The Carfax stated it has been regularly serviced at a VW dealership at its required service intervals,But is missing the 80K service.He wants $7,500.00 for it.I cannot afford a new one.Does this seem like a good deal?
    What is the life expectancy of this vehicle if it is well maintained?
    I was also told if I do purchase this VW to run to the nearest dealer and have the timming belt replaced.
    The price seems about right if not just a bit high.

However, I must caution you... Don't expect your VW to be as reliable as a Japanese car. You will probably have to spend some money to keep it running.

If you are on a strict budget where a repair bill will really set you back...then this can is NOT a good choice for you.
  • 2006beetle2006beetle Member Posts: 1
    I went to a dealer yesterday for getting a 2006 new beetle ,2.5 hatchback, with package 1, and satellite radio. The deal I finally got is $19150 as sale price ( tax or other fee are not included.) Does that sound like a good deal?
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Can you say "money pit" really loud? A VW Beetle with 93K miles, no matter how well maintained, is a ticking time bomb. You will probably sink another $ 7500 into it in the next few years just to keep it running. These cars are expensive to maintain and generally not reliable with mileage that high.

If you look around, you may be able to find a compact Japanese or Korean car for $ 7500 with much lower mileage with much better long term ownership prognosis. In fact, add another $2k or so and you may be able to buy a brand new Hyundai. A lot smarter move than this Beetle. Hyundais have proven to be far more reliable cars than VWs in the last few years.
    Yes you don't need to wave a crystal ball on this one.I've only had the Beetle for less than 2 months and paid a mechanic
    to get the timming belt and water pump replaced,
    plus had a reconditioned Catalytic Converter installed as well from a frame and axle shop instead of the VW Dealer, because the VW Dealer was going to charge me $1,100.00 to have a new CAT. installed.
    My wife just loves the bug or I should say the New Beetle From Hell.I have only had this Beetle for 2 months I paid cash for the piece of junk.I got the car title just a few days ago showing me as the legal owner.No wonder the previous owner was so anxious to sell this garbage.He probably had all kinds of codes showing up on this Beetle and just had them all cleared out prior to me test driving this bomb.But on the positive side it is running much ,much better since the CAT. was replaced.AND YES I still love the New Beetle.I notice some companies still will do a 24 month 24K warranty on this car covering all mechanical expenses.I may need to take them up on the offer if this continues,or bail out while I still can without puttin another 7.5K into it.
    I seem to be replying to my own message.I may have gotten a somewhat good deal on this Bettle from Hell.Upon further investigation shortly after I purchased the Beetle I had made an inquiry from the dealer and unknown to me,I assumed the Beetle was a 2.0 L GLS that is what it was advertised for,but when I popped the hood it stated
    20 valve Turbo.This Beetle is a 20 Valve 1.8 Turbo Beetle
    GLX fully loaded.Yes this baby gets up and fly's and I only give it 92 Octane Juice from now on.
    Let me roll my dice a few more months with this Beetle and see where it takes me.
  • randirandi Member Posts: 10
    ...here's a story of how much I will end up paying for my 2001 GLS Beetle. Silver exterior, black cloth interior, manual, power windows, tape deck (no CD), cruise control, heated seats, moon roof (or is it sunroof, I don't really know the difference). I got my financing from VW Credit (which I DO NOT RECOMMEND) at a 14.5% APR. They sold me the car for $19,829. I have 8 payments left. The car will eventually have cost me $30,866. So there, I think any of you getting this car for under $19k with a 2.9% APR is so lucky, I just want to spit. :P
  • staceyleighstaceyleigh Member Posts: 1
    Wow. I live in Ohio and am looking for a 2006 beetle convertible. I plan on buying next summer, when the 2007 models are out. I am hoping to buy a brand new 2006. Did you actually get a brand new convertible, package 2, for 21,500? Or, was the car used? Does your bug have the 6 speed Tiptronic?
  • samasclsamascl Member Posts: 17
    :lemon: Hello!!!

I am planning after a long search to buy a Beetle 2006 automatic. My husband doesn;t like it, but so far foe me is the car that I like the most, is just there is something about the beetle!!!!!!!!

I was wondering, if i can have a feed back of your experiences with the beetle, and if you know what could be the most common problem with the VW beetle.

I am planning to keep the car for at least 4 years, so I want to be sure of my decition.
    thank u!!!!!!! :lemon:
    WellI thought I should fire off this too you.Yes I did sell my VW Bug it was just costing me tooo much money to keep.I bought a 1988 Honda Accord with only 150K on it and I am very happy indeed.Its not a New VW Beetle,But it is going to save me alot of money on maintenance.
    Thanks for the suggestion.My brother a serious back door mechanic said the Hondas back then are very reliable.
  • wanwanwanwan Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote from pittsburgh dealer that a 2008 beetle with package#1 is 19,000. Is this a good deal?
  • lporrecalporreca Member Posts: 2
    Is there some interest in a 1971 Beetle, Formula V? Thanks.
  • lporrecalporreca Member Posts: 2
    PS: I'm new to this. (:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,726
    Hi, lporreca..

We don't really have a place in the forums for you to advertise your car.

We have some partners (like Autotrader.com ), but not any place on our website.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• josh25josh25 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I am buying the 2008 Beetle SE (the very basic package, no additional equipments) and I got the driving out price for $21'000 from the dealer. Is that a good price? Anyone has got cheaper?
    Thanks
  • ashveronesashverones Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just bought a 2005 gls, but it is also the special edition two tone black with red. i was trying to see if any one knew more info about .all i know is that it is rare.I am having a hard time even finding anything on it at all.
    thanks- a
  • katiebugs123katiebugs123 Member Posts: 4
    I don't have much info either, other than I own one. I called VW and found out there were only 100 made for US sales and I think 800 in the UK. I love mine. Get alot of looks when I am driving down the road. I got a really good deal on mine. I paid 16900 for it with 13000 miles. It had sat ont he lot for a while. I guess there are those who don't like th color combo.
  • katiebugs123katiebugs123 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry mistake...there were 1000 made for US sales.

It is referred to as the Flynt Edition.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    my wife and i just got one, it was about 19500 otd
  • xenophagexenophage Member Posts: 3
    2000 New Beetle GLX 1.8T

Certified Used at a Toyota Dealership (basic warranty)
    55k miles

$10,500
    $1000 downpayment
    7.49% APR on a 48 month loan

I haven't finished buying it yet and I can still get the extended warranty, or back out entirely. Should I get the extra warranty? Did I get a good overall value?
  • xenophagexenophage Member Posts: 3
    I'm reading a LOT of negative reviews about reliability on these things. That doesn't make me feel good!!!!!!!!!

Is a 55k miles, year 2000 going to last me a couple years or am I going to be sinking serious cash into it???
  • keygokeygo Member Posts: 38
    What is a reasonalble price to pay in this market for a 2008 Beetle with about 11,000 miles? It is just a very basic bug.

Thanks for any thoughts. My daughter is in the market for her first car.
  • jeep53jeep53 Member Posts: 49
    My wife loves the new Beetle convertibles and is interested in a 2005 GLS automatic with turbo. The car only has 11,000 miles on it and looks great. I had a 2001 Jetta a couple years ago. It was a decent car but then needed a few repairs the last year or so. So my question is can anyone out there give me any information I should know about the Beetle convertibles? I'll take positive or negative. Also, is the turbo worth buying or does the regular 4 cylinder suffice?

Thanks for your help!! I appreciate it!!

Steve (NJ) [email protected]
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I purchased a 2008 Beetle Convertible (new). I did look up forums etc. for problems, and about the first or first and second year of the Beetle Convertibles, there were some problems with the rear windows of the top coming loose after a few years. Apparently, the window is glued into place and it seems the glue may have begun to fail. Some people were quoted very high prices for a completely new top, and others took the car to a shop that does car interiors etc. and had the window reglued into place. Certainly a much cheaper route! I only saw this for the earlier convertibles, and 2005 should be fine. You may want to check forums on this, just to be sure.

The Beetle Convertible is FUN, FUN, FUN. You won't regret getting one!

Belaircarguy.
  • jeep53jeep53 Member Posts: 49
    HI. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. We haven't bought the Beetle yet, but are still reading and doing some searching. I notice the 05's with low mileage are running between $14,500 and $17,000 from what I've seen. Do you think there's much of a difference bewtween the turbo and straight 4? Does your Beetle have the power top or semi-automatic top? Also, how does the car handle at 65 miles an hour? Is it a smooth ride?

Thanks again for your help. Best of luck with your car!! Enjoy the nice weather coming up!
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    My 2008 convertible has the 2.5 liter 5 cylinder engine. It does not have the turbo. I cannot comment on the turbo, but i did read they are peppier and also have good reliability.

Our SE model has the power top. You do have to unlatch the top (above the mirror) and then just push the button. It will lock in place in the down position. Then just push the button again to raise the top. Again, you have to then latch it in place. A very tight fitting top - virtually no wind noise and also warm (this winter has been very cold and the car is not drafty).

I have taken this car on a 500 mile (on way) drive with my daughter. The front seats are very comfortable and the car rides very well (expressway driving at 65-70 mph). I would not hesitate at all taking the bug on long trips, other than you do have limited trunk space. Handling is superb - no blowing around behind large trucks or cross winds.

Good luck.
  • itslisaitslisa Member Posts: 10
    I met yesterday with the -lease end- guy at the dealer my VW Bug convert. came from. The guy says he can't do anything about the residual bcse VW owns the car and VW is not licensed in the state of CO. (He claims that CO. is one of 3 states that is the case.) My red flag alert and b.s. meter went up. Q- Is this true and what does VW not being licensed mean (to any one who buys or leases a car in one of these three states?) MY objective, like everyone is to pay a fair buyout. This guy is telling me they are powerless to do anything.....I rather doubt that. Am I up a creek w/o a paddle? Thank you in advance