Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 7-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
edited May 2015 in BMW
This discussion is dedicated to discussing BMW 7 Series purchase experiences. If you'd like to discuss lease details for the current model, please join us in the 2015 BMW 7-Series Lease Questions forum.

You can also research local dealer inventory and pricing, reviews, features, and specifications on Edmunds 2015 BMW 7 Series page.

Comments

• carshopper1carshopper1 Member Posts: 5
    am literally days away from purchasing a 2004 745Li. dealer is basically offering the car at about 2-3k above the edmunds invoice. 'reduced' price is supposed to factor in the fact that 2005 model is coming out. does anyone have a view as to whether this sounds reasonable? thanks.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ...... The new body style "7's" have certainly had their problems getting out of the starting blocks ..

Depending on where you live, you should be able to find a dealer that will drop-kick one of these dudes for "around" $1,500/$2,000 over invoice, the 05's are coming and nobody is beating down the doors to own a new one .......... yawn.

Terry.
  • jmcmusicjmcmusic Member Posts: 27
    That seems like a pretty good deal. Cars Direct is offering $3200 over invoice. Of course, tell em 2K over invoice and hold firm. Personally, the 7 is finally starting to grow on me (exterior at least). Inside should at least have a decent Steptronic shifter as in the new 5. I see lots of these cars here in Southern California and I believe sales are still up over the last year of the last generation. So whatever people say or think, it is a successful automobile. Just playing devils advocate here. Good luck!
  • carshopper1carshopper1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks guys, for the feedback. 1500-2k over invoice sounds good to me! hopefully, they'll have sorted out most of this cars internal problems by now...
  • mrtracymrtracy Member Posts: 1
    Just play the waiting game. If they know you are qualified or approved for financing, you may be able to go to 1K over. This is the slow season. 1K is better than "0 zero"K. Let them do that loan app and then just wait. They will call you every day until you buy.
         I have gotten my salesman down to 1,500 over and still holding..... "Maggot" is what they call customers like that. But, who cares.
  • wabendswabends Member Posts: 102
    We are in the market for a 2003 745 that we are considering. We currently have these two offers and I will appreciate any comments that members of this forum have before making our final decision.

Car 1: 2003 754i; Orient Blue / Gray Leather. 23k miles. Navigation. Luxury pkg. Shades. Comfort front seats & heated rear seats. Heated steering wheel. Computer. Xenon lights w/ washers. Premium sound pkg. 19” Alloys. Non-BMW dealership, no CPO. Asking price is $57,995.

Car 2: 2003 745i; 34K miles. black/gray interior. Luxury seating package; premium sound pkg; convenience pkg. parktronic. BMW CPO. Asking price is $56700.

Which of these two will be a better deal?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,559
    Try posting your message here:

mikefm58, "Real-World Trade-In Values" #24200, 8 Jan 2005 2:54 pm

Terry will give you an idea of what he thinks of the prices.... He has a lot of experience with BMWs...

regards,

kyfdx

P.S.: The title of your post says 745Li.. But, in the body, you describe them as 745i.. Be sure to make it clear which they are in your post..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• wabendswabends Member Posts: 102
    Thanks for the lead. I have posted the message for Terry's response.

Wabends
  • cjsotcjsot Member Posts: 8
    745i

zcv conv. pkg

luxury seat

prem sound

rear entertainment pkg

heated steering wheel

19" wheels

rear sunshade

dark wood trim

sat radio prep

$75000 ???? msrp 81220

Does this sound like a good deal??

Thanks in advance.
  • brm49brm49 Member Posts: 3
    In advance I'm sorry for length of msg, but just trying to provide background:

We're very close to buying a 2001 740i Sport, 59K miles...to the best of my research, it appears to be clean title, 1-owner CA car, very good mech shape, etc. We would be buying it from a small wholsale operation that does have a very good reputation for both their sales and servicing of "high-end" German cars.

Now I'm finding out that hardly any ext wty company will do biz in CA...a couple will, but not many. Extended wty through dealer is underwritten by Assurant (they do the BMW CPOs) and will cost $4000 for 36mo/36k miles, $100 deductible. Coverage looks pretty comprehensive, and "clause #12" on their T&C's basically states any part NOT on exclusion list IS covered.

We've never had a BMW before, so we're wondering if we should just save the $4K and use down the road for possible repairs, or do we just go ahead and buy the Assuant wty.

Appreciate any advice/experiences/opinions/info....thank you!
    I'm not going to be very helpful here, but....

If you are buying a car that requires a $4000 warranty, you are just asking for trouble.. I'm not saying that a 740i doesn't require a warranty (it definitely does), but the price should be a tipoff that you won't have a really happy experience with that car..

3rd party warranty companies are always iffy.. Call around and see if you can find a repair shop that will honor that warranty, before you buy..

Or, look for an '02 at a BMW dealership that is CPO.. and has at least 3 years of warranty left.. BMW backs their own warranties.. I doubt this company has anything to do with them..

Sorry I don't have better news or advice.. I know this isn't the answer you were looking for..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• brm49brm49 Member Posts: 3
    kyfdx-
    Thanks for the input. I agree $4k is pretty much rape, but, if you're unfamiliar with the situation in CA right now vis-a-vis auto extended warranties, then let me just sum it up by saying as of July 1, 2004, It Sucks.

Very few, and I mean hardly ANY companies will sell individual policies in CA due to the taxes and surcharges that the CA insurance commissioner imposed. The few that do get away with it do so by selling only online, therefore they are able to say the policy was sold in, say, Ohio. The "good" news with these couple companies is the wty is in the $2500 range for 48mo/48k...but the bad news is it's just major components and not a more comprehensive "bumper-to-bumper."

I have checked up on Assurant...they are insured and reinsured. They are the company that underwrites and administers the CPO wty's for BMW, among others...at least according to WarrantyWeek. http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20041214.html

I wish I could follow your advice to buy an '02, but right now they're too expensive (for me), plus I do prefer the looks of the '01. Another option is to buy an '01 from a dealer with a CPO, but most BMW dealers are so full of crap. They push CPO as a "6yr/100k" wty, when it's nothing of the sort. It's really a 2yr/50k once the original 4yr/50k expires (which is this year if not already), and although it only costs them in the neighbord of $1600-$1800 to CPO a car, they run their line of b.s. telling you that makes the car worth the add'l $2-$5K they tack on.

Obviously, my options are limited so ultimately I have to bite the bullet one way or the other. I either have to deal with a BMW dealer and pay considerably more, pay $4K for 3rd party wty, pay less for less coverage on wty, or don't buy wty and keep reserve fund for repairs. None are great choices, but it's a damn fine car, so NOT buying just aint an option!

Thanks again.
    If my only two choices are:

1) Buy the car, keep $4K in the bank for repairs.

2) Buy the car, pay $4K for an extended warranty.

I'll pick #1... Just don't take money out of that fund for maintenance and wear/tear items..

And, once the fund is exhausted, it is time to sell the car.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• poppi68poppi68 Member Posts: 3
    Luxury seating, premium sound distance control 35K miles....all for
    $52,500!

I included some bumper-to-bumper maintenance (in addition to the regular 6 yr 100K mile warranty!
  • mitch5mitch5 Member Posts: 5
  • mitch5mitch5 Member Posts: 5
    Purchased new 745Li for 3k over Invoice. Appx $4.5k off. New 2006 coming out but new money rate will add almost 2% interest rate to lease cost so 2005 attactive even with smaller engine and no Bluetooth.
  • woodwrkr2woodwrkr2 Member Posts: 8
    Interest rate on a lease SHOULD BE more attractive by the time the 2006's begin arriving around June 1st. First deliveries will obviously go to dealers as displays and were ordered quite some time ago. You're right about the difference in pricing, about 2%. I ordered a 2006 with the hopes that the 2005s will be gone for all practical purposes and BMW will make the 2006 rate more market friendly.
  • hprotzmnhprotzmn Member Posts: 1
    Looking at 95 740iL from local owner. Have all of his service records from same service place as I use. Car has high mileage 255k. Clean in and out. asking $7500. What should I be thinking?
  • 92735i92735i Member Posts: 25
    You should be thinking....

how much disposable cash do you have to pay for the obvious repairs/replacements in a 255k mile car?

Ball joints/tie rods/ struts
    a/c compressor/evaporator
    fuel pumps
    radiator
    misc electronic bugs

Then take that number and add it to the $7500 to determine the true price.

Then add to that the time taking it to your mechanic, not having the car, aggravation...

and come to your senses.

The issue isn't how many miles that car has, the issue is how many miles does that car have left before major repairs are required. Not many from my personal experience. :sick:
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    That year could be trouble. Do the records show that BMW changed the engine out (short block) for they had significant problems due to some gas formulations (its what BMW's line was when 1995 engines started having trouble. I had a 1995 740i, BMW certified and they just changed the engine. Car ran great (bought in 1996) until totaled by a DUI in 2000. I bought a 1999 740i w/ only 18k on it and I "stole" the car re: the deal. I still have it and it runs as if brand new. I would stay away from the 1995 at "any price".

Mike V :lemon:
  • vtranvtran Member Posts: 3
    How about $89,000.00 for an almost fully loaded 760li. The only option missing is the Active Cruise Control. The car only have 55 miles, never been regrister, Black Saphire ext/ Charcoal intereior. ( extra options included cooler, rear side airbags, parking sensor, Logicn 7 sound system, power trunk and Sirus radio)
    I also paid $3,000.00 for 6 years /100k miles service repairs warranty. Does any body have any commen on the price.

My wife would prefer a tan or brown interior, We though at this price we will accept the color for a couple of years.
    Doesn't that car have an MSRP around $115K?

I know they are hard to sell, but I wonder why it would sit around for over a year?

I have no idea if that is a good price or not... though...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• vtranvtran Member Posts: 3
    MSRP is approx., $123,000.00.

It is a beautiful car and people just turn head glances at the car when ever I am cruising on the road or come to a stop side. ( I do not thing they glances at me though).

I get people want this type of vehicle, they must demand the car shall be fully loaded with all options. My car just did not have the active cruise control feature. I previously owned a LS430 with Cruise tronic feature which I only used once or twice.
    Well... obviously you did a lot better than if you paid for it new, last year.. ;)

I'm sure the 760Li depreciates like a rock... If you buy a new '05, the residual on the lease after 3yr/45K is only 50%..

The fact that you've bypassed over half of that depreciation is a great thing... I think the only thing you could compare it to, would be a low mileage used '04... Again, I have no idea what the market is on those.... I doubt they sell more than 40-50 of these every month nationwide (WAG there).

I think you have the right color for a monster 4-door like that, though... I wouldn't worry about the active cruise control... just keep your eyes open..

regards,
    kyfdx

PS.. If it makes you feel better, my 11-year-old son thinks that is the coolest car ever made... :P

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

.. ** Does any body have any comment on the price ** .....

Lets put it this way .. the dealer probably lost a few grand just to dump this beauty, so at least you got a great deal that way ...

They - are - coooold .. and their value's drops faster than dropping an anvil in Jupiter ...... so I'm sure you'll be driving this one for a looooong time ......

Terry :D
  • virtualbmwvirtualbmw Member Posts: 86
    you flat stole the car......according to the manheim report, they could have gotten that much for it at the right BMW auction. Was this an outright purchase? What dealer was it? Are they still open?
    ... **according to the manheim report they could have gotten that much for it at the right BMW auction** ....

Which one might that be .. the one in outer Mongolia or the one on Mars.?

These things are colder than 15 day old ripe banana's ......

06/15/2005 MANHEIM $ 81,250 4,378 2 BLKSAPPH 12G A X NE
    05/11/2005 BAY CITI $ 79,000 4,745 BLKSAPHR 12G A X WC
    05/19/2005 NEVADA $ 84,000 6,687 TITANIUM 12G A X WC
    05/11/2005 BAY CITI $ 78,000 6,754 ORINTBLU 12G A X WC
    06/15/2005 MANHEIM $ 79,750 7,060 2 TITANIUM 12G A X NE
    06/15/2005 MANHEIM $ 80,250 10,683 2 ORIENBLU 12G A X NE

You can bet the dealers are "at least" $1,500 back of that on the trades ..... nothing like having a $115,000 MSRP and having it be worth $35,000 in less than 24hrs -- that would definately make my day ..l.o.l.......

Terry ;)
    MSRP is actually about 123. There are no 50 mile cars on this report or any other planet. Plus, these on the auction report could be disclosure cars or have recon issues like tires, etc....... He bought a showroom car for about 20 grand back of invoice. That was a helluva buy.
    ....... The guy got a great deal, a super deal.! .... but lets be honest, 760's aren't burning down any barn yards right now and most Bimmer dealers will drop-kick one off his lot faster then the second coming of Jesus ..l.o.l...

**Plus, these on the auction report could be disclosure cars or have recon issues like tires, etc......**

Nope, just trade-in's ... if you've ever been to an auction, especially the "big" Manheim - these things glow in the dark and are cleaner than the Board of Health and twice as sanitary - and need -0- .......

Terry ;)
    This is probably going nowhere but first of all there are only four 760Li's in inventory in the entire nation right now and the car is not intended to "burn down barn yards". It's for a very select clientele that don't have the same buying concerns as the mainstream buyer. We've sold three of them here in the last month.......all at MSRP. There's no "drop-kicking" going on and I don't really understand how you would have any knowledge whatsoever on the subject.

Second, I've have bought and consistently monitor BMW's at Manheim Auctions (the closed kind that only BMW dealers can participate in). There are not "just trade-ins" at manheim sales and a lot of the 7's have disclosures. There's no such thing as one that needs zero.
    .. **and I don't really understand how you would have any knowledge whatsoever on the subject --- There are not "just trade-ins" at Manheim sales and a lot of the 7's have disclosures. There's no such thing as one that needs zero.** ..

....l..o..l.... Before you get that dead mullet look on your face, read my profile ...

Terry ;)
    that's all fine and dandy........

You should know then about the glut of disclosure 7's available at auction. Many of them are buybacks, trade assists and company cars. You may have a well-rounded general knowledge or the industry but BMW's are my only expertise and I can assure that I'm correct about my asertions on the 760. Furthermore, the '04 Manheim Report states 760, not 760Li. With all due respect, I'm a BMW expert. I'm a sales manager at the #1 selling BMW Center in the nation and granted there are a lot of things I don't know.......I do know BMW's.
    If they are doing so well... then how did our friend buy a leftover '04 with no miles for $33K under MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Who knows what he bought or how much he paid. I see a lot of pricing claims that seem a bit far fetched and a lot of statements that are suspect. I can't imagine or have I ever seen a deal like that and I'm not exactly a rookie here. There's no way that I would have done that deal unless I was whacking him on the back-end and stealing his trade.
  • stoleystoley Member Posts: 10
    I must agree with kyfdx on this one. I also participate in consumer forums for the industry that I work in, and find it is often best to let the public to let the public come to their own conclusions...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Several posts have been deleted. Let's stick solely to 7-Series pricing, and not worry about who knows more than another member. Members can read each opinion and make up their own minds.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jb1104jb1104 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2001 740il or 750 to replace my 93 MB 300E. I will definitely buy one with an ext wrty on it, out side of the V8 vs V12 output/HP, is there much of a difference between the two cars? Also the Sports Pack makes the car even more of head turner.....

Any help/suggestions would be great...Most likely going to buy in the "slow" season, late fall/winter months........
    thanks in adv........
    .. ** I'm a BMW expert. I'm a sales manager at the #1 selling BMW Center in the nation and granted there are a lot of things I don't know.......I do know BMW's** .......

....l...o...l..... you Bimmer salesman kill me .. l.o.l...

Terry.
    ......... Depending on where you live, late fall/winter should to be a very good time .. most Bimmer dealers are lookin' to cut the expensive stuff from the herd before the "tumbleweed days" between Thanksgiving and Xmas .....

Which is better.? It's personal taste and "about" a $3/$4,000ish difference ... drive them both, put 20/30 miles on each one - your roads and your highways, that should tell ya ... as a whole, customers prefer the ride of the 740's and ego's buy the 750's ...

Terry ;)
    What's so funny about that, Terry?
  • pollolocopolloloco Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 94 740iL and paid 6,000 for it I love it so far anything i should know about this vehicle. It seems in great shape.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Congratulations, polloloco! You'll get more feedback from other owners in our regular BMW 7-Series discussion than in this pricing discussion, so just click on my link to join that conversation.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• drive745drive745 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone heard of this website Cheapcarhunter.com. For a one time fee of $35.00 you get access to a database that is full of used vehicles that have been reposessed from people who default on loans and break the law and have been sent to police auctions. Some Highly expensive cars like the "02 7 series start the bidding at $2,000. I would just like to know if anyone has heard of this site or sites like it and do they work or are they just a scam?
    I can't say for sure... but, I think it looks like a way to get your $35...

You might ask the question here:

Any Questions for a Car Dealer?

If it is legitimate, someone there will know about it...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• scholderscholder Member Posts: 14
    I know I'm way late on this one, but you do sound very confident about your point of view and I would really like to keep your name in my directory for future opinions. Couldn't help but see how this discussion turned out.
  • 7thsevenbmw7thsevenbmw Member Posts: 2
    ">I am shopping in Los Angeles for a new 750i 2006 fully loaded, MSRP is about $83,000. Initial discount from dealer is about $2500. I will be leasing and this is my 7th BMW lease. What is the present market and how much can I expect to get in a discount off the list price. I am not including the $1500 direct form BMW incentive program. Has anyone recently been able to get a larger discount than $2500. No trade end of lease. Walk away. Old car purchase price is higher than market. Anyone able to get 3 or 4 thousand off. IF so Where and who to ask for? Lets see if this Service is truly helpful to buyers, as we all know the sellers "know" the market it is time for the buyers to also know the market price of the cars. I will be looking for your help. Thanks,
  • 7thsevenbmw7thsevenbmw Member Posts: 2
    I recieved an offer for $3000 off the sticker. Any body done any better, the MSRP is about $81,800. Any one got a better offer from our wonderful BMW sales team in SoCal? I woudl like to do business with the person who can sell at the lowest price. No funny stuff please.
    ..... Let's be honest .. the new "7's" aren't burning down any barns right now ..

You should be able to purchase and/or lease one for "in and around" $1,000/$1,500 over invoice, especially this time of the year, maybe less depending on what part of the country you're in ..... have you tried Texas dealers.?

Terry.
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    Terry:
    The latest data shows that the mid-cycle refresh has done wonders.
    Quoting FDMelon from a diffent forum:

"November sales of the 7 Series increased 42.7% over last November. Sales for the first 11 months of 2005 were also up 9.7% when compared to the same 11 months of 2004.

Sales of the Mercedes-Benz S Class in November totaled 1,400 units which was a 19.2% decrease from the 1,733 units sold in November, 2004. For the first 11 months of 2005 YTD sales were also down 21.9%."
    ..... Aaaah lets put the smoke and mirrors away for a minute ..... BMW finally gave a free float for the first 6 months to the dealer, then they got first pick of the litter for their next "favored" 10 picks and those get a 6 month free float ...

"rocking.?" ... if this was football that would be a $7,000 signing bonus per play .... rocking.? ..l.o.l... sounds like trunk money too me, that's almost $19,000 a unit to move those Polar Bears - I would certainly hope that would help their sales ....

Terry.