Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW Z4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I get $437 for 12K/yr and $463 for 15K/yr with $2000 down.. including tax..

I'd rather put nothing down, and have them roll the $525 acquisition fee into the cap cost.. That way, only 1st payment and security deposit up front.. If you do that, I get $515 for 12K/yr and $540 for 15K/yr including tax.

If things get sticky in negotiations, they have at least another $1000 to play with on that price... Don't let them add any extra BS fees to your deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bmwz4bmwz4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for you sugesstion .I'll let you know as soon as I get the lease price.
  • z4girlz4girl Member Posts: 7
    I heard yesterday that the incentive will be extended until 11/1. My car deal is still open, but at least I got the attention now by contacting the management of the dealership personally...
  • acuraacura Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Has anybody here bought a car through an online auction? I found this place that finds local auctions and cheap repossesed cars through govt. auctions

http://wwwcheapcarfinder.com/cgi-bin/car-auction-in-georgia.htm

Acura
    Just an advertising medium for car dealers.. not really an auction..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• peacefield1peacefield1 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 3.0 6spd with all the bells and whistles. The dealer did accept invoice +$1,000. It came to ~$38,000 out the door. The $6,500 rebate is what made this deal possible for me; I would have otherwise bought used or settled for a stripped down 2.5. The dealer dinged me with a few surprises like a $143 "etching fee" which is some anti-theft marking of the car that BWM encourages. Not a big deal and I just accepted it because I'm otherwise happy with the deal, but ya gotta hate things like that.

The biggest problem was selection. It seemed that I could get any color I wanted as long as it was silver. Also, most were automatics which limited choices. I would have liked to avoid all the packages and save the $'s, but there were no stripped down 3.0's out there. In particular, I would have liked to avoid the sport package as the 18" wheels and stiffer shocks make the ride pretty harsh.

I pick it up tomorrow and, all in all, I'm happy with the deal and can't wait to take ownership!
    The faster you drive it, and the harder you take it into the turns, the better it will ride (or you will notice it less).

Congratulations.. sounds nice.. all those options will help re-sale later on.. Plus, they aren't hard to live with.. If they only "extra" you got hit with was $143.. then you did pretty well..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    I am taking deliver of a 3.0 tomorrow also.

Premium Package
    Steptronic (compromise with the wife)
    leather
    sports package
    wood trim

Can't wait.

Any suggestions for the first few weeks.

thanks
  • cucocuco Member Posts: 36
    BMW recommends a maximum speed of 100 miles/hour during the break-in period. After the break-in, get a radar detector, you'll needed.

Enjoy!
  • bmz4bmz4 Member Posts: 2
    Did you have any luck with dealers in Ga on the $1,000 above invoice less the $ 6,500 ?
  • z4girlz4girl Member Posts: 7
    In finally had the delivery of my Z4 2.5 with (almost) everything that I wanted (convenience package, premium package, sports package, STEPTRONIC, heated seats, Xenons, and wood trim). The price was (mats included) 36,350. I probably could have shaved some more off, but I had some quite specific requirements that finding THE car was hard.

Driving this car has been a joy, except that there seems to be quite a few other drivers that have an issue with the car, based on the number of people hanging to the rear, or shutting me off on the freeway when switching lanes. Well, I can understand the envy ;-)
  • cucocuco Member Posts: 36
    Congrats z4girl.

The Z4 is a joy to drive, that is, when my wife lets me drive it.

She likes the fact that I no longer object to going to the grocery store for something that she needs so she can finish dinner. Even if there is some baseball game going on ... I rather drive the Z4!
  • brtmdbrtmd Member Posts: 54
    Pricing info on this forum (and in Edmund's in general) was very helpful; thanks. Was planning to buy a 2005 in a few months, but went ahead and pulled the trigger to take advantage of the '04 incentive. Silver/black 3.0 with manual trans, sport, premium, xenons, heated seats: had a straight-up offer from salesman for 4% over invoice and then minus the $6500 incentive. I simply accepted the offer and skipped the haggling as I was satisfied. Looking forward to picking the car up in the next few days when I have time.

When I went for the test drive last weekend, I drove a 2005 model (the '04 I purchased was located by the dealer and trucked in--arrived today). The only changes I could detect on the '05 are clear (rather than amber)turn signals and side lights as well as changes in the packaging of options(no convenience package anymore).
    Congratulations... If you ever get east, I recommend going to the factory in SC to take the tour... pretty amazing stuff.. It will give you a real appreciation for the quality that goes into the manufacturing and assembly process.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bmz4bmz4 Member Posts: 2
    Paid a little over 1000 all options I wanted from the factory.

Did anyone know if you joined BMWCCA you could get a discount check from BMW ?

Also try the Performance Center . We were there a day for free and it only cost me a new Z4
  • soldieringersoldieringer Member Posts: 3
    The biggest changes on '05's is air conditioning and fog lights are standard now. They only raised the price of the car about 400 bucks so you're already saving about 800 dollars.
        Has anyone put a K&N filter on their car yet? I'm curious to see what power and mileage advantages there are. Thanks!
  • fozifozi Member Posts: 1
    I have 2 options a new 04 (demo 5800m)silver auto red leather for $38,000.00. Or an 03 with 21k Black with black leather manual for $31,500.00. I love the car but need some help. Please respond.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    what lease residuals and incentives are out there for the seemingly tons of Z4 3.0is on dealer lots?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

For '05s, 3yr/45k leases have 55% residuals and .0010 money factors.. Not sure about incentives...

I know the '04s had heavy cash incentives, but not sure if those are still current, or if the dealers had to "punch" the cars as sold.. Either way, I doubt the lease deals are that attractive anymore on the '04s.. Usually, this late in the season, you have to buy to get a good deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• brtmdbrtmd Member Posts: 54
    Soldieringer: Correct, a few things were made standard equipment for 2005 and the convenience package was eliminated; also few minor cosmetic changes mentioned above. It was definitely not enough of a change for me to pass up the $6500 incentive on the '04.

I am afraid I don't have any good info on leases or remaining incentives (went the purchase route), but my salesman did say he thought the cash to dealer incentive would likely continue for any remaining 2004's--however, the remaining 2004's were drying up (at least for my choice of the 3.0i/6 speed) in my part of the country.

Am now looking to add the alarm and "Homelink" rearview mirror accessories (I hate having to fumble for the garage door opener)--anybody installed either of these on your own?
  • rjbparjbpa Member Posts: 28
    With the change in the residuals for the 2004 Z4s, a lease on a 2005 works out to a lower monthly payment vs a 2004. So, when can we expect to see some cash incentives on the 2005s? Will the dealers and BMW be desperate to move them when the snow starts falling?

Also - I got a lease quote from a dealer that included a $725 Assignment fee. Anyone have any luck negotiating this?
  • woody6woody6 Member Posts: 1
    Is anybody getting any decent disocunts on new 05 Z4's out there ?? I've only gotten the "$200 off list" offer so far.
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    Unless you are very particular about getting a 2005 model, used 2003/2004 with less than 10KMiles are going for at least $10K below sticker. It seems that there are no incentives for the 2005 models which means that you are paying $6-8K more for what you would have paid for a 2004 model a month ago! Try and find some 2004 inventory.
  • ozrpmozrpm Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a pre-owned 2003 Z4 3.0i manual with 6300 miles on the clock. It is not fully loaded up, but has the neccessaries. Paid $33k before sales tax. Spotless body, not a scratch. I've trawled www.z4um.com and other forums, no major issues with the 2003 and my car has none of the usual wear items (e.g. low front panel under engine gets damaged).

Happy & safe driving all.
  • hdvablkmanhdvablkman Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased (Dec 7th) an 03 Z4, loaded with every option available and 17k miles for 32400. Car was in perfect condition, not so much as a scratch around the ignition. They're a little small for me but great for my wife. They had a few 04's left also so there are still some deals out there.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ..... 2.5 .. or the 3.0 .... ?

Terry.
    Is BMW offering anything on the 05 Z4s? My local dealer has 15 sitting in the snow but doesn't seem very aggressive about moving them. What kind of deals have you been able to negotiate?
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ...... In Pa, right..?

You should be able to purchase any Z4 for $700/$800ish over invoice, minus any rebates and incentives that far north and this time of the year ........ :)

Terry.
    Thanks, Terry. You are correct - PA. There are still a few 2004s around. Is dealer cash on the 3.0 still $6500? What extra discount is warranted on a 3.0 for a demo with 5000 miles on it?
    No incentives on the '05s right now.. amazingly enough... Just low money factors on the leases..

Any '04 they have... would have been "punched" when the incentives ended... IOW, they have already collected the $6500 incentive... and, the warranty is ticking...

If it were me.... I'd want that demo for invoice price minus the $6500 incentive minus $1000 more.. Typically, most dealers won't take less than invoice minus the incentive... which is still a pretty good deal.. $10K off MSRP?

Good luck..

kyfdx

EDIT: INVOICE minus incentive... NOT MSRP minus incentive.. just a reminder...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nickmonickmo Member Posts: 9
    I am getting ahead of myself a bit, but i am looking to lease a 2.5 Z4 this summer. I want to get it sometime between June and August.

Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of what i'll be paying. i figure i'll get no options other than leather and steptronic. i definitely want to stay under $500/month for 36 months and 12k miles. i actually hope i can be closer to $400.

i know it'll be hard to estimate what incentives there will be in the summer. Will i be better off waiting till september and hoping to catch another huge incentive deal like there was last year?

-nick
    Considering the deals the last two years... I wouldn't jump on one in the summer... unless the lease incentives are really good.. Sometimes, it is a wash, though... Once they throw the big cash at them, the money factors rise, and the residuals drop..

It is a simpler choice if you are purchasing... wait for the big incentives... they had them in '03 and '04.. Nothing would point to them being able to move them without incentives late this year, either..

As a reference... right now, a 3yr/36K lease would be about $450/mo.+ tax.. with 1st pymt, $625 acquisition fee, and security deposit upfront.. MSRP $37500, selling price $35,500.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nickmonickmo Member Posts: 9
    thanks, that's exactly the info i was looking for. sat in a red 2.5 at the philly car show today, it was awesome!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Any word on whether or not the '06 Z4 will have the new Valvetronic I6 motors?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

This message board started last August. Can anyone tell me the history of the incentives for the 2004's before that date? I know that sometime in May the cash incentives went up but they lowered the residuals and raised the money factors on leases. I am trying to use last year to figure out the best time to get an 05 if BMW holds to the same pattern.
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    You can count on BMW reducing the production number of the Z4s for the US market this year. You should not count on the high incentives appearing again. They need to preserve the used car market value to ensure that their off-lease vehicles do not cost them a fortune.

If you are looking for a good deal, call around and ask if they have any 2004s to sell. Once the incentives for the 2004 ended, the would have punched them. They will now be selling them as CPO cars. So you can an almost brand new car, with 6 years warranty and substantial discounts (10K off $49K for a loaded 3.0 Z4). You can use leasecompare.com etc. to find non BMWFS leases, if BMWFS lease rates are not great.
  • thankthepasserthankthepasser Member Posts: 10
    I currently have an offer from a dealer for a 2.5 Z4, sterling gray, Black Leather, Premium, Sport, Steptronic, Heated Seats, and Xenon for $40,655 (including mats) +TTL.

Seems like an alright deal, but I have a couple of questions.

1) There's a MACO charge of $315, which I believe is an advertising charge, right? What kind of success has anyone had not paying this, negotiating down, etc?

2) There's also a "Training Service Fee" of $160 ... what the heck is this?

3) Lastly, does anyone know the holdback on '05 Z4s (both 2.5 and 3.0)?

Basically, I'm trying to present a dealer with a very quick, easy, no hassle sale, and the final price I offer will be based on the answers to these questions.

Thanks for all your help.
    The training fee and MACO are both charges on the dealer's invoice... They are part of his costs...

If you negotiated a certain amount "over invoice", then they are indeed legitimate charges... This is part of the drawback of "over invoice" deals.

But, if you negotiated $40,655, and then they try to add these on top of that, then that is B.S... These are their costs, not yours..

On another note, if you get the invoice price off of Edmunds or KBB, then you'll notice that it is the same price as the dealer's invoice plus the training fee. It won't reflect the MACO, as that varies according to region.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the help ky ... I actually didn't even negotiate that (well, not really). It was basically his first offer ($400 over invoice).

I'm not a greedy individual, and will not try to scrape up every last cent that I can out of a deal; I'm just trying to find out how much profit (if any) a dealer makes on one of these if I were to purchase at invoice.

Do you know what, if any, type of holdback there is on these?

Thanks
    No holdback..

There are no incentives presently on the Z4.. There were big incentives on the '04 Z4, and if you could find one left over, you could probably negotiate $10K off MSRP....

$400 over invoice is a good deal, even with the training and MACO...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• michaelro303michaelro303 Member Posts: 5
    According to a pricing web page BMW is currently offering incentives on the 2005 Z4's. Looks like at least 3000 on the 3.0 and at least 1000 on the 2.5. Has anyone else seen this. These are being offered in the south east.
    BMW introduced incentives on the Z4 roadsters: $2,500 for the 2.5 and $4,500 on the 3.0.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pete3721pete3721 Member Posts: 10
    With the help of the incentives, got offers at about $400 below the published invoice. Good deal?
    I'd be looking at $1000-$1500 under for the 2.5.. and $3000-$3500 under for the 3.0...

You might have to shop around for that...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You know, I almost purchased my Z4 on Monday night. In fact, I was down at the dealership, selected it, and they were going to have it detailed and ready to pick up on Tuesday (for $300 over Edmunds' Invoice).

But, I got hit, and hard, by some sort of a bug, and couldn't go in ... I called and let them know.

Now, I find out there's a $4500 off incentive. So, I guess in a way it's a good thing I got sick. I feel kind of bad going back to the salesman and telling him, "I know we had pretty much come to terms at Invoice + $300, but now there's a $4500 rebate, so we're going to need to DRASTICALLY reduce that price".

I feel bad, and if it was a couple hundred bucks I'd let it slide (since he's been so accommodating), but for $4500, how can I not do it?
    Good suggestion, thanks... Now done the deal with $1500 below invoice. It's a 2.5L.
    Nothing to feel bad about.. Just go ahead and straightly ask for the discount! If they had sold the car to you on Monday, they would not get that $4500 anyway. The incentive starts at Tuesday. So it's win-win situation.
  • peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    I am trying to make a deal for a 2005 Manual Z4.

Most dealers in NJ will only offer an additional $300-$1000 off after taking into account the incentives.

They seem not willing to move.

Can I ask what others are paying with the incentives.

thanks
  • goinsailingoinsailin Member Posts: 2
    I'm getting ready to offer Edmunds TMV on a 3.0 Z4, Premium Pkg.,steptronic and heated seats. This price is over $4500 lower than the MSRP. I'm assuming the TMV reflects the $4500 discount. Anyone know what my chances of success are?
    Since the incentive is $4500... you should be looking to offer $6500-$7500 less than MSRP..

Depends on the dealer.. At $6500 under MSRP, I'd say your chances are excellent... the lower you offer, the less chance there will be..

But, you don't get what you don't ask for...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.