Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Replacement Cost by Insurance Company for Totaled Vehicle

Comments

• joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    What can I do???

Unfortunately since the repairs have already been done I don't think there is anything you can do. If you wanted to argue as to weather or not the car should have been totaled that probably should have been done prior to the repair process starting.

I may be wrong though, I don't work in the insurance industry
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    With an older car I assume that the magic number for being "totaled" can be reached with relatively minor damage.
    $1000 or $1500 of damage might be enough to exceed the wholesale value of say a 10 year old car.

If your car is totaled by the insurance company do they simply pay you the low wholesale value and then take the car or do they let you keep it?

If the damage is mainly cosmetic I could see putting some money into making it road worthy and forgetting about the appearance. However, if the insurance company takes the car you would be out the difference between wholesale and retail cost.

What do the experts think?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

If your car is totaled by the insurance company do they simply pay you the low wholesale value and then take the car or do they let you keep it?

No they don't let you keep it. They get salvage bids on the car and sell it to recoup part of the claim. Itis not uncommon for people to buy back there car though on the salvage bid.
  • eviljoeeviljoe Member Posts: 14
    I bought a NEW 2006 Nissan Xterra two weeks ago. It had 1400 miles on it. I financed it, but did not purchase GAP insurance--though I do have good insurance coverage with USAA. Yesterday, a young man, with a SUSPENDED license, NO insurance and an out of date tag, ran a redlight going 50-60mph and I plowed into him. The airbag saved my life, but I'm pretty banged up--with bruises all over. The police gave him two or three tickets but let him go without giving him any alcohol or drug tests. There were a ton of witnesses that saw him run it and he was deemed totally at fault.

My questions is, IF my truck is totalled, how much can I expect to get for it--is it used retail, private party or trade-in? The truck was brand new!!

Also, is there any way I can get the kid to pay my deductibles and the difference that GAP would have paid?
    The police told me that even if I hired a lawyer, there was no way to "squeeze blood out of a turnip"!

What if he has no money or assets? Am I just out of luck--as if he'd taken a few thousand dollars out of my pocket, set it on fire, and walked away?!?

IF they do repair it, but it's just not the same and has repeated problems, is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks!
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Your insurance company should pay (minus any deductible) what the vehicle is worth (used retail). It may have been "new" when you bought it but it was very definitely used at the time of the collision.

People who have assets or money don't drive on a suspended license without insurance so, yes, you're SOL. Sorry, life isn't fair.

As for your last question, push hard to get the thing declared a total loss so as to avoid a variety of potential future issues.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Depending on your state, you may get a new vehicle or full value of it. I'm fairly sure that within the first year some states require insurance companies to replace the vehicle if it is totaled in the first year. This is to prevent that GAP issue. Definitely do some research on what your state laws are on insurance.

-mike
  • eviljoeeviljoe Member Posts: 14
    where would i find the state laws on insurance for Florida?
    I am not sure how it works but Florida is a Diminished Value state. But as others have said you cannot get blood from a turnip. Google "Diminished Value" there is allot of good info. There are even companies who will help you with a DV claim, for a price I am sure.

States where auto
    insurance policies can
    exclude diminished
    car-value payments

Alaska
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    District of Columbia
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Mississippi
    Montana
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Dakota
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Utah
    Vermont
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming
    Also

Massachusetts
  • lilgtolilgto Member Posts: 12
    Sorry to hear about your accident, one good thing is you don't have to depend upon the other insurance company to pay for the bills! Word of advice if you ever do make sure you hire a law firm to deal with these people.

Now for you damages, you did not mention any body damage so you must have really gotten lucky and did not hit anything on the curbs. My stab in the dark would be new or like new rims, possibly tires will have to be replaced, suspension parts more than likely suffered some damages and don't forget about Wheel bearings. Just be thankful you are alive to actually write about it. Good luck with the repairs.
  • lilgtolilgto Member Posts: 12
    I also agree with the other individual, there is not much you can do once the repairs were accomplished. You could have argued with the insurance company but then again that would have been best to be handled by an attorney. It just seems like the insurance companies today would rather repair a vehicle than total it even if it cost them more money in the long run. I am still dealing with them over my daughters vehicle from the 12/31/06 accident. You can do what they told us (which I thought was a really dumb suggestion) "just sell it after it is repaired and purchase you something nicer"... What a looser!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    What if he has no money or assets? Am I just out of luck--as if he'd taken a few thousand dollars out of my pocket, set it on fire, and walked away?!?

You can sue him in small claims court. It costs about $15 to file, and you don't need a stinking lawyer. You should be able to get his address and maybe SS number from the police report. You can search local records as to what he has to his name. Or just spy on him, see if he has another car, house, trailer, motorcycle, ATV, boat.

Once the judgement is entered in your favor, send him an official request to pay. He has 30 days to do so. If he fails, turn over all the information you gathered on him to the Sheriff. They will seize his assests, take their cut, and give you the rest. They can garnish his wages... I have done it a few times in NY.

If he has 2 more outstanding judgements against him, you get to collect triple damages.

Check with FL small claims laws before proceeding.
  • ledheadmelliledheadmelli Member Posts: 4
    Hi!
    I've been pouring through these forums looking for an answer to my question, but can only come close so far.
    I purchased a 1995 Maxima GLE not quite a year ago. It had all the perks, was flawless in and out and had 56k on it! Carfax check revealed a little old lady owned this car and had it serviced like clockwork. Unfortunately, the front end was injured in an accident and the car was totalled. A body repair guy bought it, made it good as new and sold it to us. The mechanic we took it to said we got a great bargain and felt the car was worth at least $6k, even with salvage title.
    The car was mostly garaged while I owned it, although I did put a small bump in it backing into hubby's van - a 'pop-out' type of injury, no scratches to paint. It had 64k on it by now as I owned it for 10 months.
    Then some idiot on a cellphone rear-ends my baby on the freeway and causes $6000 damage, so her insurance decides to total my car. After dragging their feet for 11 days, they finally offer me $4000, which I refused. KBB on that car with (unheard of) low mileage and my options comes to around $8200, assuming clean title, which of course it isn't. I can understand that there must be some adjustment for the salvage title, but just how do you FAIRLY determine the value of a car like this? To get that kind of mileage, I'd need to move up to a 2002 or better. The leather interior was like new - no stains or rips anywhere. The chances of finding a 95 Max GLE (or Toy/Lex/Inf/Honda equal)with 64K on it, much less a salvage title to boot, are NIL. Finding one of these in my neighborhood, with 2 or 3 times the mileage, will run $5500 and up.
    I sent several emails to the adjuster showing salvaged vehicles - most lesser versions of my car, all with much higher miles - that were selling for $5-6000. I also included an invoice for the fancy tires we had bought just a few months before ($500 if you DON'T have a nephew who manages a tire store). I felt that my car and the related expenses of replacing it was worth at least $6000, and made it clear that I thought their "53% subtracted for the salvage title" was arbitrary and ridiculous.
    So, my question is: how do you determine the value of a car with a prior salvage title? Obviously, the condition of the car should have some merit. If all repairs are done and the car is made 'whole' again, why should a person have to suffer such a big loss over what amounts to nothing more than a word on the title? (When I was sick for a month last year, they sure didn't cut my pay when I returned, fully recovered, citing that I was now 'damaged goods')! So how can this designation be arbitrarily applied to an otherwise perfect car that has fully recovered from it's injury?
    I just wonder who gets to make these decisions anyway.
    For my part, I held out through the feet dragging, got my own insurance company involved (I love you Liberty Mutual!) and agreed to accept $5860 total.
    I think I did alright, but I'm wondering what your opinion is on this whole arbitrary salvage title deduction. I will never again buy a car without a clean title because of this, no matter how wonderful the car is.
    ps - I've learned an awful lot reading through this forum - thank you all for the education!
    You did GREAT to get $5860 and learned an important lesson at a small cost.

I don't know about others but figure a salvage title always knocks at least one-third off a car's value. While a precise calculation may be a bit arbitrary, the fact will always remain that any given vehicle is only worth what someone will pay for it. Salvage title equals big hit on price.
  • lyslys Member Posts: 1
    My 96 mustang was recently rear-ended and totaled. Now, the car had a lot of miles on it . . . brace yourself . . . 216,000. But she was in great condition, I always had the regular maintenance done to her, and she still had some years left in her without a doubt. Now, I know that the excess mileage is going to bring the value down, but the other insurance company deducted 40% of their starting price of the vehicle. This ends up being a charge of about 2 cents per mile for every mile my car was over the average (which is 120,000).

Again, I knew I was going to take a hit on mileage, but this seems ridiculous. I was told by people I know that more typical would be 1 or 1.5 cents per mile, but I don't know where I can go for evidence that this 2 cents is excessive. Any ideas?

Also, they charged me $175 for a replacement windshield. The glass hadn't been replaced recently, and there was one small chip (no bigger than a pencil eraser-tip) very low on the driver's side. Is that grounds for replacement?

Thanks . . .

:(
  • toyoman1toyoman1 Member Posts: 52
    So my accord did get fixed. It got the following: New front bumper cover, two new front fenders, all new suspension complete with all tie rods, transmember bar?, control arms upper and lower, 4 new 16in Honda deluxe rims with 4 new Toyo tires, body repair lower corner of passenger door, and new emerald green paint job over whole car. The Honda dealership did an overwhelming job. It looks and drives better then when I bought it.

On another note my State Farm is taking the trucking company to court and the driver to recover the funds for the repairs, it ranged into the thousands. Thanks and happy motoring!!! ;)
  • teacher8teacher8 Member Posts: 2
    Can a car be totaled twice in Virginia? I have a car that was totaled several years ago, but I bought it back from the insurance company and had it repaired. At that time, that insurance company let me insure it with comprehensive and collision coverage.
    Now I am changing insurance companies and the car is 13 years old. Should I pay for compre. and collision insurance? Since its value is only $2500-3000 according to Edmunds, it wouldn't take much damage to be declared "totaled" again. Does the insurance company devalue the car because it was already totaled? Is it worthwhile to pay for the extra insurance?
    Drop the collision coverage.

Insurance companies pay what a car is worth. A car with a salvage title is worth significantly less than one with an unbranded title.

Comp is a tougher call and depends on the deductible and cost.
  • teacher8teacher8 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the prompt response to my query. However as far as I know I do not have a "salvage" title. Is this a separate document? At the time of the accident, my insurance company did not take the original title. They just adjusted the price of the settlement and allowed us to keep the car and have it repaired. They then allowed us to insure the car with both collision and comprehensive for the last seven years. I am now changing insurance companies. But I'm sure if the vin number is checked, the accident and the fact that it was totaled is recorded. Would that constitute a "salvage title"?
    As far as dropping the collision, the extra amount that I was quoted for both comprehension and collision with deductible of $50 and $100 is only $130 more for six months. These seems low and maybe worth paying unless the collision would not pay at all if the car was deemed "totaled". I have heard that a car cannot be declared totaled more than once. Is this true?
    No, a "salvage" (or "re-bulit") title is branded exactly as that. It sounds as though you have retained a clear title.

If you think it's worth $260 per year for the coverage, keep the coverage. The insurer will pay if it's damaged again.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The same insurance company that originally totalled it re-insured it after you bought it back? I know nothing other than word of mouth, but I've lived in Virginia all my life and always understood that if an insurance company totalled a car and the owner bought it back, the car was not eligible for any further coverage.

I think you need to explain the situation completely to the new insurance company and see what they say. No need to pay them if they are going to deny any future claims based on the history - which they will discover in the event of a claim (if not sooner) whether or not it is disclosed up front.

Let us know what you find out!
  • tybo2tybo2 Member Posts: 2
    I was recently in an accident, I ran into a curb that was about 5-8 inches above the ground, and it pushed back the wheel of my sunfire, and in doing so it pushed the fender back just enough to make the door nearly impossible to open. So my question is do you think there is enough reason to deem my car Totaled
    btw its a 95 sunfire :(
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    So my question is do you think there is enough reason to deem my car Totaled[?]

I don't think so. Essentially, the criterion for "totalling" a vehicle is that the cost of repair has to be comparable to its replacement cost.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I don't know... I think an oil change might total a '95 Sunfire.. ;)

How many miles do you have on it? I can imagine that there are some '95 Sunfires that might only be worth $500.

Which begs another question? You are still carrying collision on a '95 Sunfire?

Regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tybo2tybo2 Member Posts: 2
    well, im not goin to lie, im actually in canada, where you have your insurance, with the price of your plates every month, no matter what your car is insured, and will be fixed, and all you have to do is pay your deductible
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    You probably won't know until you get an estimate.. If your car has 150K+ miles.., then it is probably worth less than $1000.. In that case, the damage you described will probably total it..

If your car is a creampuff, with only 75K miles? Then, it might get fixed..

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

So my question is do you think there is enough reason to deem my car Totaled

Yes

The cost of the front suspension will probably be more then the car is worth
  • 07sdn6mt07sdn6mt Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday I signed a contract on a vehicle but did not take dilivery of that vehicle. Am I still obligated to the contract if I change my mind?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't know what that has to do with insurance and totaled vehicles.

The short answer to your question is "yes" but that depends on what kind of a contract you signed. If you provide a little more detail we should be able to get you to the right place to discuss your issues.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • art_vandelayart_vandelay Member Posts: 45
    Does anyone know what percentage the repairs have to be for State Farm to consider a vehicle totaled?

Also, do the trade-in and retail values shown on the estimate have any relation in reality to the "actual cash value" that they would supposedly offer on a totaled car?

The initial repair estimate on my '04 Mustang Coupe is $8,520; on that estimate, "clean" trade-in on my car with all options and low mileage credit is shown as $10,825 and "clean" retail value is shown as $12,925.
    What book are those values coming from? Most insurance companies use NADA.
    Yep, they came from NADA.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    The initial repair estimate on my '04 Mustang Coupe is $8,520

The operative word is "initial". After the body shop tears into it, the chances are very good they will discover hidden damage so why wait to declare it a Total?
    My question exactly! I finally made contact with my agent yesterday and he's wondering the same thing... he was going to call their claims department today and find out what their reasoning is. He thinks they ought to go ahead and declare it totaled. Maybe his opinion can sway them into taking some action here sooner rather than later.
  • creshetarcreshetar Member Posts: 5
    does anyone know if the 2007 vue cd player is mp3 compatable and if not can the dealer install the option or is there a good after-market option I can consider?
  • kyatskyats Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 Dodge Dakota 4x4 SLT that was involved in an accident last week. The estimate came in at $5100...which I think is way to high. The autobody shop quoted all new parts on the vehicle....front quarter, hood, grill, front bumpber, paint etc. The NADA value is between 5100 and 6450. The insurance adjusted will be looking at the vehicle on Monday. Mind you I have no experience in repair costs, this is my first claim in 30 years...but in looking over the vehicle with the autobody shop there is no damage to the front differential or frame. The auto body shop indicated that the insurance company may ask to have used parts installed on the truck. I don't understand the 5100 estimate based on the NADA value.
    :sick:
    Is this an acceptable insurance practice...since I have been paying full coverage on the vehicle?

If the truck is a total loss, can I buy it back from the insurance company for the salvage value?

Do I have any other options
    $5100 is, sad to say, not much these days when it comes to damage.

The vehicle is a total loss. Decide whether you want to keep it or not. The insurance company will be happy for you to take it and less money from them.
  • njeffreysnjeffreys Member Posts: 2
    last week someone hit my car in a parking lot and left..no note..no witnesses..
    ins co says they very likely will total it. My situation is I am not in a position to buy another vehicle. what are my options?

I have a 99 Mercury Villager Estate- ir runs fine but had 95 k milelage.. I really like it and hate to let it go..tires are good, ac works, tinted windows...

if they allow me to "buy" it back for salvage, will I then be unable to get even liability ins which is required by law?
    I am a senior citizen and on fixed income.
    Sure. Liability covers your personal financial potential obligation as a result of a crash deemed to be your fault. The vehicle has nothing to do with it.

Does your policy include Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Liability? If so, make your claim under that coverage because the deductible is a lot less. Usually, no more than $100.
  • njeffreysnjeffreys Member Posts: 2
    someone referred me to the Texas State Ins Dept who told me while ,.we are required by law to have liability insurance, ins companies are not required to sell us liaability insurance...
    so if I "buy" back vehicle as salvage...there is no guarantee I can obtain liability since my ins company will report it as salvaged...aghhhhhhhh...

If I had known this I would not have filed a claim and would have driven the darn thing til it fell apart..

now it appears I will be looking for a very very cheap car...

thanks for your help...

I do have uninsured motorist coverage and that is what I am using...
    report it as salvaged = ususlly pertains to and regards Comp and Collision, not Liability coverages.
  • donald12345donald12345 Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to get the insurance company (GEICO) to replace my Honda Civic hybrid. It is a 2008.
    thanks.
  • phertelphertel Member Posts: 13
    I was involved in a highway speed accident 1 1/2 weeks ago. I feel lucky to have walked away as a guy a mile up the road died in his accident. Weather quickly changed and there were 6 accidents in a 10-15 minute period.

Anyway, I have a 2005 FX4 F-150 4WD Crew Cab with 32,000 miles.

Current estimate to fix is coming in at somewhere between $11,000 and $12,000. The body shop is using $20,800 (Year, model, miles, options and sales tax) as pre-accident value. In Kansas the threshold to total a vehicle is 75%.
    Which means using his value he could repair up to $15,600. I believe even the 75% ($15,600) is valued too high for a 2005.

I am prepared to just have them pay me the cash, satisfy the loan and be done with the vehicle. Plus they need 26 working days to fix the thing!

Does Kansas have a diminished value option? I know that the guy at the body shop sees this is a great chance to have a big repair in the shop. He said I could always sell it once it is repaired so I don't lose too much money. I said great have one of your guys give me a bid, he should know you are good for the work. Of course he says, They will not bid until the damage is fixed. Let me take a wild guess, it will be bid at less than the repairs estimate.

Thoughts or ideas?
    Thanks, Paul
    I was involved implies the crash was not another driver's fault. Thus, you don't have any Rental Car expense to claim from another company.

Ask the body shop what percentage of estimtate usually involves "hidden damage"?

Don't expect your insurance company to pay off your loan if the balance exceeds the worth of the vehicle.
  • phertelphertel Member Posts: 13
    I was at fault for my accident. I would just like the insurance company to utilize the repair funds to satisfy the loan rather than repair a vehicle that I will have doubts about for as long as I own it.

Luckily, we have three vehicles so there is not the need for a rental car.

To me, putting $12,000 into a 2005 Ford Truck is a not a good idea. There would undoubtedly be more repairs as they begin to fix things, so I would imagine it is cheaper for the insurance company to just pay-out the initial estimate and be dome with the claim.

Is it my option as a policy holder to have the truck repaired or not? Provided the loan is satisfied I think this would be a moot point?

Paul
    The final cost of repair is an estimate of value lost due to the crash. You have the option of applying any and all monies that would have been paid to repair anywhere you like such as a savings account, loan payoff, or what have you.

Suggest you pay off the loan and seek bids from salvage yards for the remains.

Any storage fees will be up to you so don't sit on your next move.

Remember to pro rate the license fees and if applicable the Sales Tax.
  • sthirteenturbosthirteenturbo Member Posts: 1
    here my problem...

I bought a brand new 2007 saturn ion. I'm half way through my payments. I also purchased a 5 year extended warranty. On the 24th of december I parked my car in front of my house which also happened to be underneath a light pole. at around 530-545am a car rear ended my parked car then proceeded to flip over and hit another car some 15-20 feet away. the impact had enough force to move my car about 10-15 feet from where i parked it. This all happened while i was sleeping in my bed. I woke up and checked to see if the driver was okay, and she was. I found out yesterday that my car has been totalled but they didnt give me an amount. Im afraid that the amount i get will not be enough to pay back saturn for the car i purchased and i dont have enough to buy another car. what are my options, and is there any way i can get reimbursed if the remaining balance is indeed more than what i get for my car being totalled? I'm really worried... I had a perfectly fine working car practically new and i woke up to a totalled car...
    Two separate and unrelated facts.

1. Balance owed on your loan.

2. Value of your vehicle.

They were not related before the crash & they are not dependent on each other after the crash. When you owe more than the value of the vehicle, you still owe that amount. Insurance companies do not care about your loan balance and why should they?
  • chachinkchachink Member Posts: 1
    I was unfortunate enough to be broadsided 5 weeks ago by a lady in a Mercedes who ran a red light. There was a witness and she was cited.
    My car is a 2010 BMW 335 d that I ordered, waited for, finally received, and drove for less than one month before it got jacked. It only had 1100-1200 miles on it (I didn't even get to put the new plates on yet). It had to be flatbedded off.
    Her insurance company (the "Good Hands People") jacked around so long that I had to go ahead and file the claim with my company (USAA). That's All State's stand. USAA said that they expect no problem settling up with them later.
    After the tear down, USAA wants to call my vehicle a total loss but only want to pay me $40,000. This is a $54,000 car, essentially brand new. Edmunds prices a similarly equipped 2009 model at $46,560 retail.
    Options anyone?
    Smashed by texter in Ohio
    Direct USAA to buy you a new one & that you will expect a depreciation deduction of $ per mile. I don't know the rate of deduction, but don't expect a brand new one without some depreciation involved.
  • taximombutlertaximombutler Member Posts: 9
    I was staying at a well known hotel chain when the hotel and valet manager came to get me to tell me that my vehicle was totaled by one of their valet drivers while moving my vehicle to a secondary garage a few blocks down from the property garage. I am in discussion with both the Valet company and their insurance company about settlement, outside of litigation at this point. I want settlement in the amount of retail value of my vehicle plus my original down payment and the two years of payments made into the vehicle since I am now going to have to start this process all over again.

The insurance company only wants to pay a low ACV (Actual Cash Value) and the valet company is "stuck" because they just want to allow the insurance carrier to pay the ACV and the settlement claim be done. I am not asking for more than what I feel should be provided with consideration that they had full control of my vehicle. I was not planning on "selling" or "trading-in" the vehicle anytime soon, but paying it off and keeping it for a few more years.

I am having a difficult time negotiating the amount since insurance companies are used to low balling the values, regardless of fault (valet driver was at fault in this case, and three cars involved) and there are not precedents on insurance companies paying any more, outside of litigation. However, this is not a normal situation.

Why should I be in an upside down financial situation because of this companies negligence, especially when they are in the business of driving other people's vehicles? I have line item justified my settlement requests and am still in negotiation mode with valet company upper management and legal counsel. I also have all the pictures of the totaled vehicle which is completely damaged, since it was flipped and rolled and had a traffic pole fall on it after it knocked it off the base on the sidewalk.... and the hotel chain is taking an interest in whether the valet company is attempting to settle?

I would like to provide Replacement Value assessment to the insurance carrier so that they can "line item" there settlement within their companies policies but having a difficult time finding that. I am using a current vehicle, less two years old with same mileage as what was on that vehicle when I bought it in 2008, two years old.

Any suggestions, recommendations, links, etc... are welcome.