Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• gettheedgegettheedge Member Posts: 3
    "here are some features I think could make it into the next camry:

2.5L 4cylinder (170-175 hp)
    3.5L 6cylinder (240-250 hp)
    hybrid engine (confirmed)
    smart entry and start system
    Dual Climate Control
    Side Airbags standard
    Dynamic Laser Cruise Control
    folding side-mirrors
    Power Rear Sunshade
    Adaptive Front Lighting System (XLE)
    HID headlamps (SE,XLE)
    LED brakelamps
    Bluetooth (option in current Prius)
    Navigation & CD changer in dash (only single
    CD player avail. now with nav system)"

Bklynguy,

Is this for the 2006 Camry?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    That is what someone "thinks."
    Useless.
    Any optional HID lights that fit other models would be promptly stolen.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Because a lot these things are going to probably be added because the Accord has them (dual-zone climate control)

HIDs won't be stolen that fast..the Maxima and previous Acura TL had theft issues, but neither has since had that problem...

Altima doesn't have that problem either...

So I doubt that the HIDs being stolen will be a problem
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    "Useless."

These are educated guesses / observations based on several factors:

- the competition (dual-climate control in the current Accord for example)
    - 2005 Avalon features
    - new engines for other Toyota/Lexus models
    - trends in the automotive industry ( LED taillamps, HID headlights, Smart-Start are some examples)
    - "spys" (people who have access to pictures, specs, prototypes, etc.)
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    It's useless since anyone could have guessed those things. Everyone can assume that it will probably have most features that most of the similarly priced competition has.
    Other things that are on cars in higher price classes like Avalon and Lexus are much less likely or people will say "why should I buy an Avalon or ES350 when I can get 99% of the same features (like laser cruise, smart start, HIDs and power sunshade) for much less money.
    Some ES330 buyers just want the name and Lexus warranty, but most people want to feel like they are getting many tangible features that Camrys drivers can't have. Toyota also would want people on the fence to have more reasons to make the jump to Lexus.
    They don't necessarily have every feature available on ever other car. Just because you can get HIDs on an Altima, doesn't mean Toyota is threatened enough by that to add them to the Camry or they could have done so already. The Altima has had HIDs available for years.
    When HID lights are optional and can be retrofitted later on cheaper models, there is a big black market for stolen lights.
  • gettheedgegettheedge Member Posts: 3
    Toyota said that if parts are retrofitted aftermarket and they are traced back as being the reason for their being a problem with the vechicle the warranty is voided.
    "When HID lights are optional and can be retrofitted later on cheaper models, there is a big black market for stolen lights."

Is there a black market for the 2005 Avalon ? (for XL owners who want HIDs)
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Don't count on the 06 Camry getting folding side mirrors. The new Avalon doesn't have them and it's a more expensive car.
    I would refuse to buy any new car without folding side mirrors. I'm in NY. Cars everywhere with mirrors knocked off.
    "Don't count on the 06 Camry getting folding side mirrors."

I think you mean the 07 Camry. Folding mirrors should be standard on the Camry. We also live in New York and see missing/damaged mirrors everyday.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    That's crazy.... It would be quite beneficial if toyota make the mirrors "forward" foldable like Rendezvous...
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    They are really useful. I live in a little town in Indiana and that's one of the reasons we usually drive my wife's car downtown. I'm not counting on them being available on the NG Camry, but look for them on the ES350.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Hey guys. Help me out & tell me where you're finding the new Camyr pics.l
    Thankis for your help.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    They're available at www.thehollywoodextra.com in the "Vince Burlapp Autos" section or something like that.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    To go to post #134 of this thread.

Host, how do I paste a post number as a link?

~alpha
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Go to the post, then right-click on the highlighted post number. Select "copy shortcut," then paste into a new message. It'll look funny before you hit "post," but it will appear like this once it's posted:
    alpha01, "Next Generation Toyota Camry - 2006" #217, 16 Jun 2005 12:23 am

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

They had spy shots of the Camry on IL. From what I see, it looks very nice
    It looks like the Camry is getting a little bigger. I wonder if they improved the handling/steering, but based on the target market, I doubt it.
    Note the Inside Line spy shots show the same alloys as did the original photos that were posted on this thread. Both the front fascia shape and rear styling are very similar as well. Looks like those early pictures were indeed the real deal.

bklynguy- you can doubt whatever you like, but if the recent Sienna and Avalon redesigns were indications of what Toyota can do, I wouldnt be shocked at all to see better steering/handling on the next Camry. (The new Avalon is certainly improved). And from what I understand, Toyota is looking to lower the average buyer age of the Camry, just as they've done already with the new Avalon. (Their desire to do it with the Avalon was explicitly stated at the Auto Show debut, however).

~alpha
    I believe I saw an extra exhaust pipe. If it is, then it is pushed out pretty close to the edges of the car.

". I wonder if they improved the handling/steering,"

I bet you a dollar. Toyota has some new competition ala Fusion, and you can bet that they are planning ahead. After all, it is safe to assume that the Ford will handle decently, it is, afterall, part Mazda 6. Also, I test drove an Avalon Touring with my wife (we're replacing our cars at the same time, roughly, she's getting a fullsizer, I'm getting a compact sport sedan) and it handles exponentially better than the last model.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Touring or Sport label on the next SE model instead of SE, but I don't know. But based on the Avalon, I predict a hit for Toyota :D . And a flop for Ford. :lemon:
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    It looks to me that Toyota is going to improve its Handling/Steering on the Camry. I wont be surprised if the SE model of the 2007 Camry will be as good and the Mazda 6. It seems to me Toyota is trying to attract a younger buyer age, even with the current model it tried to spice up the SE V6 but failed to me. Since the 2002 model debuted Toyota has been trying to improve its boring image by adding a SE model.
  • rgs0907rgs0907 Member Posts: 1
    I need a car & am ready to buy a 2005 Camry SE this month.. With a redesign coming out next spring, I doubt that the early 2006 models will change much. But, does anyone know when they will be selling the 2006's? Maybe I can wait until they come out & at least get a newer model year. Any ideas on when the 2006's will be at the dealers?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    In general new MY cars generally hit the dealership in middle to late August.
  • canuck3canuck3 Member Posts: 6
    My personal wish list for the new camry:
    1. 4 wheel drive model (as it is already available in Japan). There is no mid size sedan among Toyota/Nissan/Honda with 4 wheel drive option. You'd have to buy a Subaru legacy if you want a 4 wheel drive, unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of Subaru. Otherwise you'd have to spend big bucks for an stylish but unreliable Passat. There's a huge market out there for Toyota to exploit there.
    2. Wagon version available. Similarly, among the japanese, only mazda 6 and Subaru have wagons.
    3. Better handling and brakes. The present generation camry is waaaay too spongy.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    If you want 4WD, then consider the upcoming Ford Fusion. Yes, it's not a Honda/Toyota/Nissan, but the Fusion is a worthy competitor to them. Otherwise go for a Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger. Honda and Nissan havent announced when they're redesigning the Altima and Accord, and I doubt they'll have 4WD until the redesign comes out.

I doubt they'll release a wagon version of the Camry. They already have the Highlander, and the smaller Matrix.

I'm with you on the handling. Although there's nothing wrong with the handling, I just hope they inject it with just the right amount of sportiness to make the car somewhat fun to drive.

I currently have a 2004 Camry, and I'm pleased with the reliability and quality feel of the car. I sure hope the new Camry continues that.
    I personally think that the Higlander is a Camry Wagon, but I don't know.

The Subarus are a lot better now then they used to be. If you wouldn't get one of those for AWD, I would go with the 300. I'm not trying to be cliche but that car is nice. The Fusion won't be out in AWD for a while.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you can get a Five Hundred AWD right now...

The next Highlander is going to be BIG. Too big, I think, to really be called the Camry wagon any more. They SHOULD have a wagon variant of the Camry next time around.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Can the name of this thread be changed to 2007 Camry?

~alpha
    ""you can get a Five Hundred AWD right now...""
    Or a 300, if you want to move :P

Yeah. I think that a Camry Wagon would be nice, as it's hard to find a midsize wagon in the segment and a lot of people would buy a Camry wagon.
  • canuck3canuck3 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Navigator89 for your comments. Excepts I think Chrysler and Ford have questionable reliability and quality so I am not considering the 300/charger/Five Hundred. Just to add to what I said earlier, I find it funny that you'd have to go to entry luxury class among the Japanese to get a 4wd car other than subaru. If you go to luxury class, you have lots of choices including the G35x, M35x, GS300 AWD, acura RL among others.

I agree with nippononly that the next Highlander is going to be big... too big for people who have no need of 7 passenger capacity. For my uses I'd rather have a 4 cyclinder sedan or wagon and save some gas.

Let me add I wish the next Camry have standard ABS and side airbags. I think it would be hard for Toyota to match side impact scores with Honda and Nissan if they don't have it standard.
    Well its pretty odvious Toyota will come out with standard side airbags... they will be pretty stupid not to have it standard. Also canuck3... ABS is already standard on the current Camry so think it will be an option on the next gerenation Camry/
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would love a Camry wagon - would be right at the top of my list if it had a manual transmission.

The Highlander is not even on my radar. Slow, lethargic, guzzling (compared to Camry) - why not just get a minivan and have the extra room.
    NOW you're just dreaming! Toyota? Put a manual in a Camry wagon? Highly unlikely, says me. Darn near impossible, in fact. But perhaps you were just being wistful. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Just went on a 270 mi trip with AC on, wife in the front, 2 kids in the back and trunk filled in my 2002 4 cyl automatic Camry LE. Speeds ranged from 55mph to 80 mph. I got 29 mpg. I suppose if I dumped the wife and kids and emptied the trunk and drove 55 I could have broke into the 30's. Perhaps if I had a manual with the AC off even 35. Claims of 40 are bogus to me. If they were commonplace Toyota would pump this up and the EPA would then tag the car as getting 45mph! Also, my guess is that those getting in the 30s are not likely the norm and do not portray real world driving for the normal person. That is not to say we should not try harder to drive more like them...ie slow down and turn the air off.

I maintain the average Camry gets around 26 - 27 highway, 20 city and about 23- 24 mixed. Again, driving habbits can improve on that but not likely by much. JMO.

PS:
    The car shifted smoothly and drove effortlessly...it continues to offer a very nice drive....though it does have a tendancy to be all over the road...I think the power steering may be be over done.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Traveling above 70 is what kills your mileage. Plus using the cruise as much as possible helps as well. Dumping wife and kids and not using the a/c would have minimal effect.

I regularly got 35-38 mpg on trips in my '04 Camry 4-cylinder with wife, a/c, and luggage. But I cruise at the speed limit (65 mph in most places I go). I fill my tank the same way as much as possible, so the numbers are as good as they can be (not just based on one tankful, which certainly can be erroneous).

City mileage is about 23 mpg, and my overall "grand average" (I keep records) is 27 mpg.
  • lovemycamrylovemycamry Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 Camry that has served me well and I love the car. I bought it brand new and it has 130,000.00 on it. I've had several people approach me about purchasing my car but I'm not sure what to ask for it. I want to be fair but I don't want to lose money either. The car does have a minor oil leak that needs addressing so I want to be sure to adjust for that when I sell. Can someone tell me what would be a fair price for this car? Other than the oil leak, the car is in excellent condition and still looks good. I have kept up with all scheduled maintenance and have the documentation. My husband has a much newer car but my Camry still rides smoother.

Any suggestions?

Also, since the Camry changes significantly every five years, should I buy now or wait for the 2007 model? Are leather interior and a moon roof standard on the XLE?

As you can tell, I haven't purchased a new car in so long, I have no clue what options are available. :confuse:
    Any assistance is greatly appreciated....my husband is no help in this case. :blush:
    I would wait for the new 2007 Camry because first of all its design maybe a lot nicer then the current generation. I felt bad when the new 2003 Corolla came out after just only half a year before it came out i bought a 2002 Corolla. I always like to buy a car when it just comes out or a year or 2 after it comes out, so i wont have to pull my hair out over how the newer model looks so much better.

The Camry XLE does come with standard leather seating and a power moon roof but only on the V6 models, it is available on the 4 cylinder XLE.
    the moonroof standard on all XLEs now? But the leather is definitely a package on 4-cyl XLEs.

I am sure the Camry will change dramatically for '07, which will be available in less than nine months. Better to wait, especially if your current Camry only has 130K miles.

I just bought one, a 4-cylinder, and there's no moonroof. No alloy wheels or leather either.
    There were spy photos of the 2007 Camry in the latest Automotive News, and from what I could tell, the car doesn't look all that different from the side except for a somewhat more sloping C-pillar and back window. It's supposed to have a 3-bar grille (which was covered the photo), and taillights are rectangular, with the inboard portions extending into the trunk lid. No more Taurus/Neon/X-Type taillights.
    I said that the moonroof and leather is standard on the V6 models and NOT THE
    4-CLYINDER models. But on the 4 cylinder models you can get the XLE Premium Plus Package which comes with both alloy wheels, moonroof and leather.

Those Spy-photos may be missing key details that may stand out on the 2007 Camry that are covered, but i agree that the side doesn't look all the different.
  • glanwinglanwin Member Posts: 28
    I totally agree with you. I test drove my sister's 05 LE 4 Cyl auto and found out the gas mileage is no where close to EPA estimate. I guess the best I can get is probably around 29-30 if I really slow down my cruising speed. However, I will be shot at by anyone who drives by me in LA if I do that :sick: .

Those people, who claim they can get above ESP estimates, are probably have problem with their math anyway :D .
    Try this math (the first 3 are for long trips, the last is the overall "grand average"):

Start miles: 1029, with full tank. End miles: 1738. Miles driven = 709. Two more fillups = 20.07 gallons. Miles per gallon = 35.3

Start miles: 3009, with full tank. End miles: 3553. Miles driven = 544. One more fillup = 15.01 gallons. Miles per gallon = 36.2

Start miles: 4177, with full tank. End miles: 4993. Miles driven = 816. Two more fillups = 23.37 gallons. Miles per gallon = 34.9

Start miles: 19, with full tank. End miles: 15,802. Miles driven = 15,783. Total gas added = 578.84 gallons. Miles per gallon = 27.3

2004 Camry LE 4-cylinder, 4-speed auto, EPA 23 city, 32 highway.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Actually it is very easy to get better than EPA estimates - especially since you need to add 28% to the highway number just to get what the EPA measured.

I think the numbers above are spot on, and the 5 speed (manual or automatic) will do even better.

If you can't get 30 mpg on the highway in a Camry you are driving exceptionally fast, calculating wrong, or something is wrong with the vehicle.
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Hi all,
    Inside Line predicts the V6-es to be in the 250-260 BHP vicinity; Just curious to find out what it might be for the hybrids; Accord hybrids are rated at 255 BHP...
    Most importantly - Will ther eeven BE a V6 hybrid?
    Seems like Toyota is catching on with the HP race considering how the Avalon :shades: surpassed the Maxima :P for 2005..
    Happy fouth of July to Everyone!
    Cheers!!
    --NJExpress
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I believe the hybrid Camry will have the same powertrain as the RX400H, at least that is what most of the auto magazines are reporting. I have yet hear about a 4 cylinder hybrid. I guess Toyota thinks the Prius will suit those people just fine. So expect around 270 Hp and a price tag in the low 30's. I am guessing gas mileage would be similar to the Accord Hybrid which means anywhere from high 20's to high 30's.
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    I agree. It looks a little like the current model from the outside.
    I am not into the 02-05 model look because it looks just like you mentioned, the Taurus/Neon tail lights.

I was hoping the new 07 will have more straight line body then the current curves. It will be nice to see the 07 gets the style like the new Lexus or the Avalon but I guess the spy photos suggested the other ways.

that's just my taste and I am sure many people like the current model's look.
  • one91mr2one91mr2 Member Posts: 11
    Actually, the 2007 Camry is a nice departure from the current 5th generation. It's still conservative, but definitely an improvement. Go to Toyota Nation's site for uncamo'd spy shots. http://www.toyotanation.com

It just might win you over since the ugly tails are gone and the lines are much sharper. Overall, a much cleaner body style.
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    Looks like they just released news of the 2006 Camry. I was surprised to see it. I thought they would stretch the MY2005 to the end of this year and make the MY2007 debut early. Atleast that's from the rumors of the the early debut around next February.

2006 Camry Info
    a 2006 that arrives here next month, and shortening the 2006 MY is likely what will happen. I still think, especially given the spy shots of running vehicles, that the next Camry (gen 6) will arrive in March of 2006 as an '07 model.

~alpha