Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• mary99mary99 Member Posts: 65
    Side mouldings are placed too low to do any good. If they were going to protect a sedan from SUVs/trucks, they'd need to be thicker and higher. And not painted. Take a look at the new sedans. The mouldings, if any, are usually inches above the bottom of the door, not at the wide part of the car. My Civic has door dings all along both sides, way above the thick moulding.

The third alternative, besides parking alone or driving a Saturn, is live with dings. It's transportation. They run fine with dings.
  • supergoopsupergoop Member Posts: 46
    Another alternative is to use a service called "Paintless Dent Removal". I have been told by someone who tried it that it is pretty good.

Here in Canada, it "retails" Cdn$100 for the 1st ding, and C$50 for subsequent dings. As long as your paint is not chipped, it can be repaired in ~2 hrs.

Here is a Cdn site that explains it with some sample videos: http://www.autocosmetic.com/retail-media.asp

You can also google "Paintless Dent Removal" for service near you.

My friend knows a freelancer who repairs it for C$50 each and will come to your home to do it while-you-wait.
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    My 2002 Volvo S80 had the 'euro' style black mouldings. I still had door dings galore. My wife's 05 Sienna XLE LTD has door moldings, and dings galore. They are more aesthetic than anything else these days and IMO the new Camry looks cleaner without them.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The first thing I do with a new car is scratch it myself :shades: then forget it for the next 150,000 miles.

I've never had a problems parking anywhere after that.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "The first thing I do with a new car is scratch it myself "

The finance guy offered to do that for me when I picked up my new Camry a year ago. :D
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    jose1962, don't hold your breath waiting for this car. First there is no such thing as magnetic blue. It's either magnetic gray or ribbon blue. Which factory options are going to be on the car? The Jbl stereo is the only one you mentioned. The elechtrochromic mirror with compass, rear spoiler, and floor mats are port installed and can also be dealer installed so you are really not "ordering" anything special. Just make sure they get the right color.
    ;)
    Mackabee
    Get another sales guy or go to a different dealership. As of today I show 29 4 cylinder 5spd SE in my region. 13 on allocation, 13 on ground, and 3 in transit.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    >>>You are missing the point that you will still get dings even with the moldings.

True. You can also get killed while wearing a car seat belt. Will that cause you to say seat belts are useless? I don't think so.

Yep, side molding will not protect against all, maybe even most, dings (anymore than seat belts provide perfect protection in crashes). But they protect against some dings, and that's a step in the right direction for some of us. I'd rather have fewer door dings than more door dings, but the choice is yours.
  • petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    Well, I drove my first 07 Camrys last night. I first drove an SE V6, a beautiful black example, then I drove an XLE V6. I was surprised at how much road noise there was in both cars, especially the SE. When you go into a test drive with certain expectations, it's quite disappointing when the actual drive doesn't meet those expectations. I was expecting an exceedingly quiet ride in the new Camry based on all of my reading. I though the Camry was class leading with regard to interior noise.
    The ride in the SE was also very jittery, no doubt because of the stiffer suspension. But, even the smallest ripples in an otherwise good road surface was clearly transferred to the interior of the car. The XLE was a MUCH soother ride.
    I had my heart set on a new black SE V6 with charcoal leather. Now I'm not too sure. My current 01 TL is quieter and smoother than the new Camry. :cry:
    Just as an aside - I drove a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited - every bit as quiet as the Camry. The Subie is a bit smaller though and it seemed cheaper inside.
    I find the front end of the 06 Accords to be ugly. What to do next???? :(
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    Maybe I am tainted by driving a floaty Volvo S80, but I don't tihnk my SE is all that jittery. I feel bumps, but not that bad. Not like in my 2000 Passat.

As for noise, it is quieter than my Volvo, and I felt it was right there with the 2006 TL that I test drove. The numbers don't matter, because it is subjective opinion that sells cars.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Bodyside moldings are more comparable to having a car that had seatlbelts that held you by your ankles rather than waist and shoulders.

What difference does it make if you just don't have dings along the the one or 2 inch strip where the molding is when the car is still riddled with dings above the molding?

If you choose not to make the effort to park away from other cars and walk an extra minute to your car at the end of the parking lot, at the end of 5 years you have 8 dings with the molding vs 10 dings without it.

Maybe you could put 3 or 4 different moldings on the car at various heights and that would then stop most dings.
    I think I'll drive the new TL today.
    It's not that the Camrys were so noisy, but I expected them to be much quieter than my current car. I found the SE to be significantly more jittery than my car. I like the car so much though - I can't cross it off the list yet. :confuse:
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    Is the 4 cylinder, 5 speed 2007 Camry built in Japan or in Kentucky?
    Where are all the 5 speed Manual Camrys currently being built? I am looking to purchase one, but I want it to be built in Japan, not in Kentucky.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Some posters on the TL board are reporting prices in the $31k range for the vehicle with NAV, excluding TTL, plus very good financing.

Did you just try the SE? What about the LE/XLE V-6?

My local dealerships are now full of 2007s - each store has over 30+ units in stock. I wonder if they are dealing though. One manager told me that in May they'll have better discounts off of MSRP.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    About 5 posts ago, petomlin described in reasonable detail the test drive of both the XLE V6 and SE V6...

~alpha
    Just curious as to whether anyone owns/tested the LE V-6.

TX
    Yes

I drove the XLE right after the SE. (both V6) The ride was MUCH smoother in the XLE. The road noise was less, but there was not a significant difference. There are more nice gadgets in the XLE - lighted steering wheel controls - automatic climate control - rear seat air/heat vents.

The dealer I went to, was at 500 over invoice. NOT alot of Camrys on the lot. Maybe 5 all together.
    Must say, the guys at the dealership were nice to deal with, and talk too. No pressure, which is always a good thing, and a plus for them.
    Thanks for the information. That's not a bad price for the six. On 4 cylinders LEs, several dealers in N. CA are "at invoice." I may go with the LE V-6. The reason why I asked is because although Camrys are piling up with 2 out of the three local dealerships having over 30+ units in stock, they only have less than a handful of the V-6s in stock.

Another dealership also has a healthy amount. However, they always put the LEs on the lots without the wheel covers. You would think that they would put the covers on. This dealership has the rudest personnel also.
  • larouselarouse Member Posts: 28
    What I am about to say might be taken as blasphemy in this board, but we have been test driving several cars in the last two weeks. We drove the Camry XLE, the Accord V6, the VW Passat and the Buick Lucerne. The one that impressed us the most was the Buick. This car has everything we want and for the right price. If you want a real smooth ride and no outside noise with all the comfort, this is the car. As for mileage it is not too far from the Japanese cars. We have owned two Hondas for the last 15 years and have been very happy with them. However, for long rides in comfort, and loaded with extras, I think we will get the Buick.
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Just a word to prospective 07 buyers. There is a recall dated April 3 06, campaign # 06V096000. This involves the side curtain air bags and the knee air bags. Check with your dealer or call NHTSA auto safety hotline at:1-888-327-4236 for more details.
  • anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    .... to prospective 07 buyers...recall dated April 3 06, campaign # 06V096000 ....air bags

All details at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm
    using # 06V096000 as corkscrew provided. This recall affects 133 cars total, only 1 of which is a 2007 Camry (the rest are other model years or are Lexus). The affected VINS are listed. The one affected 2007 Camry is in the Denver region. Free loaner car provided if needed while awaiting parts.
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    I wish you lots of luck and happiness in your golden years. At least with the Buick you will get an amazing rebate that you couldn't dream for with the Toyota. The car can be serviced at any GM dealership, and won't scare your local mechanic. You also get a lot of wiz-bang electronic features you would pay more for in the Toyota. You also get poorer build quality, indifferental dealer service, lousy resale value, spongy handling and bland styling. Also praying that your car isn't a lemon from the factory, cause you know what the North American manufacters do with owners of lemon cars. Nothing! Just ask my sister in law and her Montana SV-6. :lemon:
  • neno8403neno8403 Member Posts: 49
    I don't know what roads you were driving on or under what conditions you were driving under but I test drove a 4-cylinder 07 Camry SE today over some pretty under-maintained roads and the bumps were barely noticeable. In fact, the car was smoother than my 02 Camry LE. And remembering your post, I purposely opened the sunroof all the way and even had my window rolled down to see how loud the cabin was and it wasn't hardly loud at all. Me and the Toyota salesman had a nice little chuckle when I told him about how you described the cabin as very loud. I think that some of you people just nitpick WAAAAAAY too much over things that you shouldn't really be making a big deal about. Just my two cents.
    Have you driven a Lucerne or owned a Buick? You seem to know a lot about this car? Why poor build, because it is American? Would you tell me that Toyota or Honda never have lemons? and when they do, do they give the customers the royal treatment? Please give me a break. Too bad your sister in law had that bad experience. That does not mean all dealers will act the same. Generalizations are never wise. Not all American cars are poorly built and not all foreign cars are engineering marvels. Take a closer look, and you will see some cheap things in the Camry too.
    As for my golden years, I am 42yo. I do not know if that qualifies me as golden, but thanks anyway.
  • 4ztc5244ztc524 Member Posts: 13
    Are you sure that the tires were not overinflated? This would cause higher road noise and the jittery ride. Whe n cars are received at the dealer the tires are usually inflated to about 40psi for shipping. Dealers are suppozed to decrease this to the correct psi for the car, but my experience is that they rarely do.

bob
    Wether you think it's nit-picking or not - it's what I observed. In fact, it made me appreciate my car alot more. The roads were 90% blacktop, and as I said, there were ripples in the road that were transferred directly into the cabin of the car as I bounced up and down in the driver seat. Small cracks and open irregularities were distinctly heard and felt through the car. Believe me - I WANTED to be blown away by the car. I love the way the SE looks. I'll try another before I give up.
    No - I didn't check the tire pressure before I drove the car.
  • scottgbscottgb Member Posts: 23
    I'm not currently in the market for a new car, but every review I've read of the Lucerne has been very positive. When the time comes to look for a new car, I would definitely
    drive it along with the Camry. I've had such great luck with Toyota that it would be hard to buy anything else, but I think it would be short sighted not to look at everything out there.
  • bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    The SE is designed for those who have more of a desire performance handling than cruising down the freeway feeling as few bumps as possible. If ride "qaulity" is high on the list of importance, choose something other than the SE.
  • 4wheelman14wheelman1 Member Posts: 4
    You mentioned that you believe both the SE and the XLE camry to be noisy, have you driven an accord yet? I test drove two different model '06 accords, SE and EX V6, and I decided not to buy one because the wind and road noise was annoying. I have owned my '07 camry SE V6 for 3 days and it's definitely quieter than the accord. I would just tell you to keep driving different cars on the same road and be sure to get on the highway at least up to 80mph before you decide on something. That was the most noticeable with both accords, wind and road noise. Good luck.
    Let's face it - a Toyota Camry, wether it's the SE model or not, is NOT a sports car. I didn't expect the jarring I felt.
    GT, I didn't look at every single one in my area but it looks like they are being built in Georgetown Ky. Maybe later allocations will come from Japan. Why don't you check with your local dealers and see what's coming in your area. Are you in the west coast?
    Mackabee
    Yes, all the reviews of the Lucerne have been very positive. I will tell you, we are in sort of a pre dicament, since we have two Hondas which we have owned for years (no complaints). The only drawback with the Hondas is the fact that they are not comfortable for long trips, which we take frequently. Test drove the V6 Accord with the leather seats, and we could not believe how tough those seats are! No way I would buy that. Why can they make more comfortable seats? Will drive the XLE Camry again which definitely is more comfortable and then decide between that and the Buick. Also, the warranty is very good. 4 years or 50000 miles.
  • jose1962_jose1962_ Member Posts: 22
    my bad the color is blue ribbon metalic..and yes the jbl is the only option that i wanted ,didnt want leather..and thats wat allthe cars are coming to s florida with and other optionsthat i didnt want..i was given a build date and delivery date by dealer
    Sounds like you are in the dreaded Southeast Toyota distributor region. Let us know when you get the car and if it is in fact the way you requested it.
    Mackabee
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    If you liked the Lucerne you owe it to yourself to try an Avalon. Similar in size, ride and comfort, Toyota quality and equal or better performance to the V8 Lucerne with much better fuel economy.
    petomlin, it may not be a "sports car" per se but the suspension is tightly tuned compared to the other trim levels so a more "jarring" is to be expected.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Alot of people love very soft rides and consider cars like the Honda Accord etc. as having bone-crushing rides as compared to what they are used to.
    I agree. I love my Camry(s) but once in a while I long for the ride of my now gone MR2. Fortunately one of my boys has a Honda Prelude SH that he lets me "borrow" once in a while. I love that car when the V-TEC kicks in!
    :)
    Mackabee
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Ain't that the TRUTH!!!!!!
  • popperpopper Member Posts: 41
    You've got to be kidding about the Accord seats. I find that they're the most comfortable, supportive seats of any 20-30K vehicle.
    I could see how a large person (not saying you're overweight) might think the side bolsters are a little aggressive.
    I really wanted to buy a Toyota but their seats are pathetic. They make their bottom cushions for people about 5' tall...hits me about mid-thigh.
    Your right, I was stereo typing. Can you blame me though, as for many decades it went like this. Your first car was a Chevy in your 20's, followed by a Pontiac in your 30's, and then when you could afford it your fathers' Oldsmobile in your 40's. Your aspirations turned to Buick in your 50's, and in your mid 60's you retired to a Caddy. Look on the bright side, your retiring early. Me, I am still at Pontiac, (41yrs old) although my Bonneville is getting long in the tooth and I can't replace it with an Olds, so Camry or Avalon will have to do. Hey your only as old as you feel, right? It could be worst, you could be looking at a Hearst.;)
    Well, amongst others, I've had 2 Accords loved one, hated the other(not because of the ride). A Maxima SE - liked it very much. I've had a BMW 325i 5M - LOVED IT! I now have an 01 TL - GREAT Car. I wouldn't consider any of those cars to be soft, would you?
    The BMW was an interesting case - an awesome blend of road gripping, atheleticisim, yet a very compliant ride. I suppose this is why car makers use the 3 series as their handling yard stick, against which their own car must measure.
    Having owned several 'sporty' cars, especially the 325i, I'm not in agreement in the thinking that a 'sporty' ride has to be a shaky, jittery experience every time a bump is hit.
    Then again - I could be wrong. :)
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    I find the Accord seats to be the most comfortable. I have major back pain, but not in the Accord. It was a major reason for purchase despite the vanilla and outdated exterior. I found the XLE Camry seats to lack back support. Lumbar support felt non-existant. Maybe we all feel things differently and most Honda owners like the seats, but not the road noise.

You mention no complaints with your Hondas. What do you think will happen with a Buick?
    What will happen to the Buick? Nothing of course it's a Buick with fantastic dealer support and quality. What I suggest he do is go to the Buicks' forum website first, and ask. ;)
  • gefiltegefilte Member Posts: 21
    twas not so long ago, if i remember correctly, that bottom of the line models such as the corolla ve and the mitsu galant de were the only models in that line that had no protective side moldings. "sir" the salesperson said, "if you want that protection you will have to move up to the "CE" where it is standard equipment" today i passed a bmw 750 something in a lot with no protection. get the kleenex ready! and all you "clean look" buyers will be crying all the way to maaco :cry:
  • pickles077pickles077 Member Posts: 30
    We have a 2007 Camry and it seems to be a very good vehicle. The only negative thing I noticed about it
    is the brake pedal creates too loud a noise when the
    pedal is released quickly. I looked under the dash
    and it looks like a poor design; the brake pedal arm
    has a plastic button insert that meets the plastic
    housing of the brake light switch. I think Toyota needs
    to install a rubber stop to eliminate the unnecessary
    noise. The Toyota may have quiet doors when they are
    closed but it certain does not have a quiet brake pedal
    when it is released quickly. P
  • caciviccacivic Member Posts: 22
    I know this question has been asked on here very recently. I was unable to find the responses to the message.
    Can this welcome message on the stereo be changed some how?

Thanks for replies!
  • nifer76nifer76 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Ralph,

Congrats on your new car. It's not shallow at all to care what your car looks like, especially on the inside where you will be spending alot of time. I did test drive the Accord this weekend and it was nice. Thanks for your info. The Accord is still on the list. :)
    :D I laughed when I read; "All I can think of was the smug salesman telling me that toyota doesn't have to offer incentives,since the camry sells itself.", because that is exactly the same thing the salesman told us. :D
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    The Toyota may have quiet doors when they are
    closed but it certain does not have a quiet brake pedal
    when it is released quickly

This brings to mind the following:
    Some of you may be old enough to remember (as I AM, unfortunately) the Toyotas and DATSUNS (now called Nissan) of the mid-to-late 1960s...Datsun 510 (now that was quite a car in it's day!) Toyota Corolla and Corona (now evolved into the Camry!) Their turn signals made a CA-CHUNK!----click, click---click,click---click, click sound everytime you activated the left or right turn signal, and the brake light switch made a loud CLICK! everytime you stepped on, or released, the brake pedal. These sounds were heard over the much higher ambient noise level of the cars of those days.

The Japanese suppliers for those parts eventually found a way to quiet those sounds down...I bet they will for your brake pedal now...or maybe your's needs some lube or a replacement switch? have you driven any other 07s to see if they make the same sound?