Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    Absolutely no problem switching to synthetic from fossil as they are compatible. The reason why I said to wait and change to synthetic at 5000 kms if your initial oil is fossil is, it gives your engine a chance to bed in rings and all moving parts. You will want to keep an eye on oil consumption as usual. As a guide, my 11 year old Bonneville with 200,000 kms uses half a litre ( 3.78L to a U.S gallon) per 5000 kms. Synthetic oil is the way to go if your going to keep your ride for a long time. :shades:
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I suspect you are right. Redlining a new engine is unlikely to cause damage. But why then do new cars still come with instructions to drive "moderately" during a break-in period?
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    Concerning Test driving any car, you should drive it the way you will be driving the car that you buy! I own an Infiniti G35 Sedan and when we "test drove" the 2007 Camry Se V6, I drove it the way that I drive my G35, Redlining it at least a couple of times a week! With respect to the "break-in" stuff, the demo that we drove had about 500 miles on it(800KM) and I didn't ask the saleperson "permission" to put it through the gears!
    I redlined it to see if it would perform up to the specifications of the V6. Yes, it does and we bought one!
    Test drive the car the way you will drive your own car!
    Have a great day.
  • mishman1mishman1 Member Posts: 10
    I totally agree with Alpha. I have test driven BMWs, Acuras, Jaguars, my G35 etc. etc. I always test drive them as I would normally drive myself which is very sporty and aggressive. :) How else would you be able to tell if you truly want to own or lease this vehicle and that it would perform the way you want it to based on your driving style? The whole issue is moot. Demos ar for demos, the dealer knows it and so do prospective customers....or so they should. :shades:
  • mishman1mishman1 Member Posts: 10
    So now that we're all over the huge test drive issue, can anybody tell us if the V6 Camry drives up to expectations? Is it fast, agile, hold the road, gives some thrills? Or is it the Camry of old.....reliable but boring?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    can anybody tell us any story about a 2007 Camry that has nothing to do with redlining, and is not a post moralizing about other members?

Some personal comments have been removed.

Let's move on, thank you very much!
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    'I redlined it to see if it would perform up to the specifications of the V6. Yes, it does and we bought one!'

gbabaluk - now that I found one who bought a V6, can you share with us your driving impressions on the 268 hp engine and the 6 speed transmission? I really want to buy the car (SE V6) and can't find someone who can tell me how it performs (of course there are some magazine reviews but I want it from actual buyers of the car). Thank you.

FiloD
  • jeauxsrjeauxsr Member Posts: 9
    It performed better & rode smoother than th 06. The 4 cylinder has ample power & should give great mpg, but 2,800 + is a lot of money compared to a Chrysler 300 or Cadilac CTS for neraly the same price + I have $2,112 in credit card credits toward the purchase of a GM product. What would you do??????????? :mad: :D:(:):cry:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Why won't you test drive the car yourself if you are the one who is going to be buying the car?
    Many people have said what they thought of how they felt it drove and there are magazine articles that give objective data with actual 0-60 numbers too.
    How it feels is relative to what you are used to driving, so you need to drive it yourself.
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    Hi filod;
    First, the SE V6 is as fast or slightly faster in a straight line than my G35.The one we test drove had the VSC(all V6s in Canada come with it, NO CHOICE, as standard eqipment) but it was not as restrictive as some of the magazine writer's want you to believe.
    There is a major difference in the handling of the SE versus the other Camrys including the SE 4 cylinder. Not sure why anyone would buy the SE with the 4 cylinder. THat's like buying the G35 with half the horsepower, makes no sense.
    At speeds of 60+, I did some very abrupt lane changes and the car felt very stable.
    This is a very able "sports" sedan. We have owned Accord V6s, Maximas,etc and the SE V6 is as good as Toyota has done from a fun to drive perspective other than buying one of the Lexus sports sedans.
    Go for it!
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    Camry v6 vs. caddy CTS? Easy. CTS whips it in handling. rwd vs. fwd, and, hey, 5 yr. 60k warranty with the caddy
    With due respect, test driving for just 15 min or even 30 minutes is not enough to have a good feel on how a car will perform. That is just me... (I do test drive by the way and subscribe to 2 car magazines. Thank you though for suggesting).

FiloD
    Thank you gbabaluk for the feedback. I also have the Accord V6, it is a good performer with 240hp, and I hope I am not downgrading, which I think I am not.

Congratulations by the way...
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    30 minutes driving on the type of roads you normally drive give a very good idea of how it will drive and the feel is subjective anyway.
    Kind of like asking what car is the best looking or what is the best color.
    Different people will describe the same performance and ride differently based on their individual perception of it.
    "Different people will describe the same performance and ride differently based on their individual perception of it"

Exactly what I am looking for in these forums. Thank you again.

FiloD
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're talking about the Camry here and we are finished with the redlining argument.

Some more personal comments have been removed.

Please let's get back to the subject. Thank you.
  • judas1judas1 Member Posts: 5
    Just as an FYI, not sure if its been mentioned before, but 2 out of the 3 or 4 Camrys I've driven (4 cylinder 5 speed autos) have a shifting problem. Shifting from 4th to 5th (I think, could have been 3rd to 4th) they'll lurch and the engine will momentarily climb a hundred RPM or so, then it will shift. The tech said they had another one that was doing the same thing, he checked both and the tranny temp sensor is bad and reading something like 1200 degrees, and that is apparently screwing up the computer that controls the shifting.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Thats very odd, I've not experienced this or heard of this, and if it is the case, all the more puzzling because the '07 Camry 4 cylinder 5 speed automatic is an IDENTICAL, CARRIED-OVER transmission from the 05/06 models... which I thought was one of the disappointments of the redesign.

~alpha
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Just for the record, my '05 Camry 4-cyl 5A has had no shifting problems whatsover. 12K miles so far.
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    As Alpha was pointing out there was different gear ratio for V6-5A and 4cyl-5A for Gen5 Camry (but may be the same skeleton).
    Most transmission problems were reported for V6-5A but few complaints for 4cyl-5A as well in below link:
    http://www.autosite.com/content/research/forums/index.cfm/action/Posts/fid/2852

So I do not surprise if there are complaints for 07 4cly-5A, which is carried over from last model.

IMO, older people tends to drive 4cl version over V6, and with their driven habits they may not notice any hesitations or bad shifting problems...
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "IMO, older people tends to drive 4cl version over V6, and with their driven habits they may not notice any hesitations or bad shifting problems..."

That statement is grossly speculative at best and inflammatorily insulting at worst. Try engaging your brain before you blandly pigeon-hole an entire demographic again.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    I did not notice any lurching/hesitation issues with the 2007 Camry LE 4s I tested. I've tested the vehicle several times - the trannys are very smooth - but perhaps not as smooth as the Hybrid Camry, which is very quiet in city driving/idle. You could barely hear anything. This vehicle is awesome.

I next want to test the 2007 V-6s, but no dealers in my area have them.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The reason you don't see the cars at your local dealers is because they are literally flying off the lot. But hey, go ahead and buy a Charger and come back and let us know how it holds up after a couple of years. You'd probably be better off with the Mazda 6 if you don't want to "take a chance" with a Camry. :blush:
    Mackabee
    Thank you Alpha. You explained it way better than I could ever will.
    :shades:
    Mack
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    You got that one nailed, Mackabee!

I was just remarking to my wife the other day about NEVER taking the cars in for service anymore, except for required annual inspections and a recall or two (I do oil changes and all routine maintenance myself).

What do we have now?
    2005 Toyota Camry
    2004 Toyota Camry
    1998 Nissan Frontier

What did we have before?
    1990 Mercury Sable

'Nuff said!
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Sorry , no intend to offend anyone here! But can not escape from the truth . That is "younger consumers seek more performance". End of story!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Handling yes, cornering, etc.

You haven't been around enough to see that most of those raised in the 50's & 60's only drove V8's and V6's. If a driver has been driving a domestic nameplate for 40 yrs you can bet it was a V6 at the minimum.
    'No lawnmower engines for me'

Buyers coming of age in the time of the first fuel crunch know the benefits of a solid 4c engine.

A little perspective goes a long way. The story to which you refer has quite a few pages you haven't read yet. ;)
  • ieee_raiderieee_raider Member Posts: 20
    I put pics of our new Camry online and I thought people here might like to see.
    Check them out here:
    http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/896

2007 Camry XLE V6 - Black / Bisque - Heated Seats, Smart Key, Vehicle Stability Control
    Let me know what you think!
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    Camry v6 vs. caddy CTS? Easy. CTS whips it in handling. rwd vs. fwd, and, hey, 5 yr. 60k warranty with the caddy

It is a good thing, because you will need it. Not to mention, the extra money for fuel.

As for whipping up on it...

Per Edmunds.com Road Tests
    Cadillac CTS Sport vs. Camry SE V6
    Zero-to-60-mph acceleration, sec. 6.9 - 6.5 Advantage Camry
    Quarter-mile acceleration, sec. 15.3 - 14.6 Advantage Camry
    Quarter-mile speed, mph 90.7 - 97.3 Advantage Camry
    60-to-0-mph braking, feet 118.34 - 124.0 Advantage CTS
    600-ft slalom, mph 59.7 - 60.5 Advantage Camry

Wow, it really blows away the new Camry, huh? And before it gets said, the CTS-V is not to be used in this comparison since it is significantly more expsensive (MSRP starts at $50k) and would not be meaningful in this discussion.
    I got news for you fsowirles. All cars come from the factory!

For the word /semantics police....I meant I was the first to drive it except for the guy taking it off of the truck, and the lot porter to gas it up and wash it. :P
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    judas1,

So was the fix for this tranny issue replacing that tranny temp sensor? If you have anymore info to share I sure would appreciate it! Thanks
  • fatrapfatrap Member Posts: 5
    I just filled the gas tank and measured my MPG and it was only about 18! (About 760 miles on the odo.) The fill before that was about 24 MPG (about 60% were highway). This seems really low to me for a 4 cyl Camry. Our 97 Camry got 24 in town and 33 highway with the AC on. Now, this is the first time we've bought one brand new. Is there some MPG break in or something? Anyone else out there have any info on fuel economy they are getting?
  • mookie5mookie5 Member Posts: 22
    That is the exact car Im picking up next week. A 4 cylinder SE, but with a manual tranny. Also I currently drive a G35 Coupe with 6MT. You don't see why anyone would buy an SE with a 4 cylinder? I don't see why anyone would buy a G35 with an automatic. Nor do I see why anyone would buy any sports car with an automatic. Its an oxymoron to use the words sports car or place an SE badge on a car (implying a sportier experience) and combine that with a automatic. Some of us still want to be connected to a car and actually drive it. Car mags are constantly flaming manufacturers for combining automatics with their higher performing versions of cars. Too many people just want to 'look' the part without actually being. Let the flames begin.... ya ya resale value. What else?
  • mookie5mookie5 Member Posts: 22
    Just checked www.fueleconomy.gov and there is no data on the 07 Camry. But for the 2006 Camry 4 cyl auto the user average was 23.8 EPA 24/34.
    For the 5 spd its 26 EPA 24/33.
    For the Accord 5pd its 28.3 EPA 26/34. Hope its just a fluke, bad gas or just a needed break in.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Yes, look at the Camry MPG - Real World Numbers Forum!!!!!!!!!
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "But can not escape from the truth . That is "younger consumers seek more performance". End of story!"

Arrogantly marginalizing any group with blanket generalizations - ethnic, race, age or whatever - is unacceptable on this forum. (You are not the ultimate arbiter of "truth".)
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    Hey all. Today I finally picked up my 2007 V6 LE in magnetic gray (w/JBL and moonroof). I "purchased" it 7 weeks ago, but have been waiting very impatiently for it to arrive (apparently moonroofs are rare right now in Wisconsin on LE's). Anway, here is my initial comparison of the cars. Some of these points are very minor or attributed to differences in trim levels, but they are differences none-the-less. In no particular order:

Pros of 2007 LE over 2005 XLE
    * The steering wheel is a bit thicker and feels nice
    * Nice to have a moonroof, never had one before
    * The engine seems much quieter under normal acceleration and during cruising (under 2500 RPMs)
    * Seems like a softer ride, better at soaking up bumps
    * Seems to handle better around bends
    * I like the dash layout more--at first I didn't, but it has grown on me
    * Exterior looks more like a Lexus than the 05 did to me
    * I like the clock
    * The speedometer seems even cooler than the 05's (similar) optitron
    * Dual exhaust

Cons of 2007 LE over 2005 XLE
    * The steering wheel controls seem cheaper quality
    * The blinkers seem to be louder--I really like the quiet blinkers
    * I'm not digging the shifter--I've put it in neutral instead of reverse twice already
    * No autodimming rear view mirror--it also seems cheaper (no bezel around the mirror)
    * The car is louder from the outside--my wife said she heard me pull into the garage which isn't usually the case with the 05
    * Feels more cramped in the driver seat--I think this is due to the arm rest protruding into the driver's space
    * Higher window sills--I can't put my elbow on the window anymore
    * I don't like the remote being built into the key, that's just me
    * The (gray) fabric pattern is OK, but not the best (I like it way more than SE's though)
    * The wheel caps are even more pathetic than the 05's
    * No fog lights
    * No trip computer (is not accurate at all in my XLE anyway)
    * No power passenger seat
    * No dual storage in the armrest--the tray is worthless
    * No rear sunshade
    * No rear AC vents

Other notes
    * Both cars have a 6CD JBL stereo--maybe there's something wrong with me, but I don't think either stereo sounds very good at all
    * I don't miss the auto climate control, that doesn't work well for me in the XLE
    * I haven't pushed the new car at all, but so far it doesn't "seem" that fast--I'll give it more of a push perhaps after I get an oil change

Note that I really do like the new car, I'm just pointing out the differences in a car that I also happen to like a lot. I will be spending most of my time in the 07, so I will update once I put some more miles on it. Let me know if you have any questions

Here are a couple of pics. I'll take more once the weather gets above 45 degrees here in Wisconsin :-)

Mook: This has been rehashed many times over, on this very forum. I would prefer an auto, but I would shoot myself having to clutch and shift in my daily commute (45 miles of bumper to bumper traffic). An auto-manual is the next best thing. Plus my car is 'sporty' so I can enjoy driving it when I get the chance..it is not for the track. For that, there is another machine...which is a manual.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    If you had bought an '07 XLE, half your cons would have disappeared!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would have considered it, but there were many reasons (in order):
    1. Don't like the yellow wood
    2. Don't like leather very much
    3. If I got leather, I'd have to get seat heaters, which would increase the price even more.

I like the darker wood in the 05 XLE, but I like the 07 interior even more w/o wood (especially the yellow wood).
    :-)
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    I think that the new Camry looks best in that color combination. Looks very sharp. Congratulation on your new ride. How much did you pay for it ?
    Model 2554 (V6 XLE, Black ext., Bisque int.) with options FE, HD, SK, VS, G0, P4
    * $0 - 50 State Emissions
    * $440 - Heated Seats
    * $450 - Smart Key
    * $650 - Vehicle Stability / Traction
    * $958 - Extra Mile Pkg G (Spoiler, carpet mars, trunk mat, trunk organizer, first aid, ext. tile warranty, more)
    * $349 - Vehicle Shield Package (extra sound insulation, lusterizing sealant, rental car)
    * 1 Year Free Oil Changes

MSRP: $31,002
    Subtotal (w/o TTL): $28,874
    College grad discount (for wife's masters): -$400
    Total (w/o TTL): $28,474

Total savings off MSRP: $2,528

Will soon add $287 for Sirius equipment and installation. The kit isn't available yet, but he's promised this same price when it is available. I've seen some people get charged up around $700, so this seems like a steal.

This was the original agreed upon price, but then there was some hail damage the day before we took delivery, so we worked out some additional deals, but they wouldn't normally apply.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Congrats!!!!!!!!! :) The car looks beautiful. I think some colors actually make the car more attractive than others and dark color definitely is the one to go for. You got a great deal from your dealer since most dealers are selling at close to MSRP. Enjoy your new ride.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    What makes the wheel covers "pathetic"? They're wheel covers, not alloys, they get the job done at minimal cost. For me, I much prefer the new 16 inch wheel covers to the very strange design of the 02-06 XLE 4 standard 16 inch wheel covers.

I apologize if you've answered this already, but what made you chose an LE V6 over an '07 XLE 4... just the light wood (which actually looks very decent to me, in the beige interior models).

Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy your '07. And its good that you realize that many of your 'cons' are attributable to the different trim levels...>

~alpha
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    what made you chose an LE V6 over an '07 XLE 4... just the light wood (which actually looks very decent to me, in the beige interior models).

Let me guess, most likely the extra power of the V6. I think the LE V6 is a great bargain and in some cases cheaper than an XLE 4.
    That's correct, I wanted (missed) the power of a V6, so the XLE was out for the reasons I pointed out.

As for the "pathetic" wheel covers, I'd really like it if it came with rims standard (I tried ordering them, but Toyota denied that option). Anway, it's funny that you mention the 02-06 XLE covers, that's what I'm having them put on my 07, I like them on my 05 XLE :-)
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    Hi everyone...

I was just wondering if anyone in West Michigan could confirm whether M-6 is present on the DVD Navi system? My wife 2005 Honda lacks this important (albeit new) road (actually it is shown between I-96 and M-37 but doesn't extend any further west), and I wanted to find out if it was part of the system in the Toyota Navi systems.

Thanks!
    $958.00 for "extra mile package"?
    $349.00 for Vehicle Shield Package?
    Where did you buy your car?
    Mackabee :shades:
    Yeah.
    The extra mile package includes:
    Spoiler
    Carpet Mats
    Trunk Mat
    Trunk Organizer
    First Aid Kit
    Fabric Guard
    Pinstriping
    Wheel Locks
    Road Hazard Tire Warranty (3 yr / 36,000 mile)
    Extended life tires + warranty (6 yr / 100,000 mile)

Shield Package is:
    Lusterizing Sealant
    Sound Shield
    Sealant Cleaner
    Rental Car Assistance
    (normally I don't get this kind of thing, but the wife wanted the extra sound insulation from road noise)

Got the Camry at Toyota of Paris (in Texas, 1.5 hrs NE of Dallas)
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Please tell me you DID NOT pay $1307 for those.