Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• taz16taz16 Member Posts: 29

2007 Camry see the similiarities
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Actually, I dont see the similarity; youre looking at two very different angles which may have the effect to distort contours, sizing, etc.

I believe I read somewhere that Toyota may debut the Camry at the North American International Autoshow in Detroit (beginning of January), which would be a first.... no Camry sedan redesign has ever debuted at an Auto Show. Certainly, the marketplace is different now, much more competitive with entries like the new Sonata and Fusion, and I think this makes sense. I still expect a March 2006 launch.

~alpha
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I don't know if they'll officially debut it or not.

There's increased competition nowadays though. Fusion/Milan and Sonata come to mind.

I saw a dark red Milan on the highway today. It was a fairly loaded Premier model. Looked pretty good. At least it stood out.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    its alot sportier looking than than the current model on the outside. I really don;t care for the current Camry look although the 05 refresh did enhance its look from the 02-04 models. I saw the picture with the wrapper relased off the tailight a post back and it looks alright but I think they could have and should have gone further with the styling. I think the tailights resemble the current ES 300/330 very closely. I also see a close resemblance to Mazda's trademark grille. I also am digging the dual exhaust on the V6 models. Toyota is finally learning where to put the tailpipe on the Camry these days. Yeah! In conclusion, I think right off the bat from what I see its a big improvment over the current style but is it better looking than the 92-96 or 97-01? Don't know yet. The 95-96 style still looks good and has aged very well on the outside.

BTW, Does anybody think Toyota has to make the ride sportier for the 07 model Camry since the Altima and Accord have a sportier ride than the current Camry? I also think the interior on the Camry needs to have pizzaz to it like the current Solara. I have continually complained about how bland the current Camry interior is.
    I am a big Honda and Mazda but why is Toyota bringing out new models in March of a model year now and not just wait until September of each model year? For example the current Corolla came out as and 03 model in early 02, the 04 Sienna came out early in 03 and now a new 07 Camry comes out in early 06. This begs the qusetion why is Toyota introducing new models like this in the past few years?
  • barriesbarries Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if Toyota will ever launch a diesel powered Camry. I know the Americans arent very fond of diesel engines but its a real big pitty. My dad has a Mercedes C270CDI and I am very impressed, this model has just been replaced with a C320CDI with 510nm of torque, I do not know how many horses that is. I have always liked Camrys more because ot their space etc, I know you cant compare the Merc with the Camry but still I think a diesel powerd camry will be a great car.
    I don't know. Maybe because then they'll have the spotlight since few other car companies do a mid spring launch.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    They have had great success with the Sienna and Avalon in introducing them alone early in the year iso in the traditional Labor Day melee. Also the heaviest buying season is from March to August. The new model hit this perfectly. Also this year they have a 2nd launch later in the year the HSD Camry.

The Labor Day birthday was a little artificial. It was done because new models required new tooling and that took 4-6 weeks to install. It was always done during the UAW's July shutdown. What I dont know is which came first. The UAW got July off for all its worker so the companies decided to do the change over then. Or whether the companies decided to retool in July and gave the UAW the month of July as vacation.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Toyota did used to have a diesel Camry in the mid 80's
  • rick331rick331 Member Posts: 4
    The Tokyo Motor Show is going on right now ! Expectation was Toyota's unveiling of the 2007 CAMRY. Does anybody out there know when (of if)
    this is happening ?
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    No trace of the 07 Camry... yet!

Tokyo Motor Show
    they be waiting for a Detroit introduction?

After all, the largest pool of Camry buyers is right here in America. Camrys are built in America.

I would think a NAIAS intro is the most appropriate, since the largest amount of buyers will be Americans.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I think you are right. If they unveiled the '07 now, a lot of potential buyers would just wait for 6 months to get the new model.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    A lot of buyers are already waiting, plus there are always those who will prefer the old model and the better deals on the old model.
    I am 100% sure someone will complain about the styling of the new model no matter what it looks like.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    January at the Detroit Auto Show is the supposed unveiling. Yes, there are always people who will criticize the styling. That is one reason there are so many different models and everyone has different tastes. From the spy pictures, it looks like the middle of the car is not changing too much. The roofline/door shape looks almost identical to the current version. The back looks like a cross between the Avalon and the Lexus GS series. The front end looks like a cross between the Avalon and a Mazda MPV. Toyota styling has always been very conservative and they will continue that trend with the new Camry so they don't disappoint current owners

I think the most interesting part is to see what they do with engines. We know the hybrid will be a 4cylinder so they have done something different than Honda. But what will the V6 engine be? A lot of people are speculating it will be the 3.5 litre but insiders seem to be hinting it will be the 3.3 SE engine. The new Rav4 is going with the 3.5 and the larger Highlander only has the 3.3. Will the Camry go with the 3.5 as well or will Camry stay with the 3.3 to be different from the Avalon? A couple more months and we should have a lot of answers. I can't wait :-).
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Definitely the 3.5L GR V6. Next Highlander is getting it too, as will the next RX350. The old 3.0 and 3.3 engines will be history soon.
    I personally think that they will stay with the 3.3L only to differentiate it from the Avalon. They could boost the hp and the mpg but the Sienna still has the 3.3 and the Highlanders for a yr or two so I think the Camry will also. Maybe in the midcycle renewal the 3.5L will become standard. They always hold something back for the midcycle renewal.

I also think that there might be an 'agreement' with the other two. Nissan has the larger engine always and HonYota has the same engine. Nissan hs the edgy styling and HonYota has the upscale look. The Nissan is more agressive in driving, Honda is sporty and Yota is much quieter. Take your pick.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    There are many who say the next Camry V-6 will be 3.3, but not the current 3.3 but a 3.3 derived from the Avalon 3.5. The Avalon 3.5 is a beautiful engine and very fast and a 3.3 for the Camry, weighing less, would also be very fast.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    It might weigh less, but it'd have less power and less torque with the reduced capacity, seeing as it would be a derivative.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that was new this year uses a DI 3.0 that is new, and which no other model is currently using. When that model was released, the speculation was that it would move up to the 3.5 for a base engine as the new, larger 4.6L engine becomes available for Lexus cars next year, and becomes the optional V-8 for the GS. That would leave no other model using this new 3.0. Couldn't it be the new optional engine for the Camry in the '07 MY? It has superlative emissions and fuel economy for its size, and makes 245 hp in its current tune in the GS. That would be right on the button, I think, for a new Camry V-6. Plus, it would be based off this new series of Toyota V-6 engines that now come in 2.5L, 3.0L, and 3.5L variants. Have I forgotten any - is there a 4.0? (the only 4.0 I can think of is the Tacoma/4Runner V-6)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Yes that is true. But I think the "new" :confuse: 3.3L engine could easily develop somewhere between 240 to 250 Hp and close to 240 lb-ft of torque. That should be more than enough for most Camry buyers I would imagine. Also the smaller engine sets the Camry apart from the more expensive Lexus ES and Avalon. Toyota doesnt want Camry sales to hurt Avalon and ES sales I would imagine.
  • hondaconvert1hondaconvert1 Member Posts: 60
    I really miss my '93 5 spd manual Camry as I had to let it go from a rear end collision... what a smooth transmition and comfortable ride.... I hope the '07 Camry will be it, so possibly I can trade in my '05 Camry after sometime...
    that Toyota would be introducing a brand new line of engines as they have (4L, 3.5L, 3.0L, 2.5L) and also spinoff yet another variant (the supposed 3.3L) for the Camry. Seems like a production waste and a miss on economies of scale.... Think about it... right now at TMMK, Toyota is producing the old school 3.0L, 3.3L... as well as the 3.5L. If they could cut it to just the 3.5L, that would be a big deal, in terms of quality monitoring, supply, labor demands (knowledge levels), etc.

I feel that the engines we'll see are the 166 horse 2.4L Dual VVTi to be introduced in the RAV4, and an iteration of the 268 horse 3.5L in the Avalon/RAV4, both mated to a 5 speed auto. Forget manuals for the V6, and I wont be surprised if they're gone for the 4, though I hope not....

~alpha
    I wonder when a Solara will come out since a new Camry will be here in 5 months. My guessing would be a new generation Solara would come out early 07 as an 08 model? I think the current Solara came out as an 04 model early in 03 if I'm not mistaken.
    I don't think there will be a new one until 2008 or 2009. Toyota follows a 5-6 year cycle for its redesigns, and the Solara is about two years into its cycle, so its got about half a life left.
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    The 3.5 is already a derivative of the 4.0 in the 4Runner. Yes, the 3.3 will have less power. They aren't going to make the CAMRY more powerful than the Avalon.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    There is absolutely no reason to make a 3.3 engine version of the GR V6. If they want less power in the Camry, they can simply put a detuned version of the 3.5 GR in there. They already have 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0. I think the GR 3.0 will be gone when the GS350 arrives.

All Toyota/Lexus V6 trucks and truck-based SUVs will have the 4.0 GR.

All Toyota/Lexus V6 cars and car-based SUVs/minivans will have the 3.5 GR, except the IS250.
    I completely agree with you. I find it absurd that Toyota would spend all the added tooling and other manufacturing costs associated with adding yet another displacement to the mix. Given that we already have two differently tuned versions of the 3.5L (268 horses in Avalon, 306 in IS350), and a smaller 3.0L unit of the engine that makes 245 horses, it seems nonsensical to throw a 3.3L in the mix for just the Camry line.

~alpha
    the 3.0L? Then the 3.5L can be reserved for the Avalon and the entire Lexus line. (ES, GS, etc)
    The 3.0L might be a little low on low end torque. A bigger engine also produces more useable power at a lower rpm. That matters more in most stop and go driving. Isn't the 3.0L 245 hp engine in the Lexus GS just a stop gap measure?With the IS 350 pumping out 300+ hp I am sure the GS will soon get the 3.5L engine.
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    3.0 V6 is showing the way to bow and the 3.3 V6 currently used in Solara and Camry SE will replace the 3.0 as the standard one while save the 3.5 with lower hp than the Avalon for SE and maybe Solara XLE V6. The HP power of the 3.3 is 225-230 with torque from 240-250. The 3.5 could be 268 to 280 while the torque could be 255-280. We'll see....

As to the wagon, the reasonable guessing is to have separated model with more luxury wagon as MB R350 if it along with similar model from BMW and Audi (Q7) sell well. For now, Toyota want you to buy Highlander for higher price and more profit in addition to tons of option and gimmicks.
    I dont think thats going to be the scenario. The current 3.3L in the Camry is derived from the 3.0L that debuted in the early 90s. Also, the 3.3L in the Camry has been rerated according to SAE certification, and posts only 210 horses now, not 225 as formerly advertised. Granted, its not going to FEEL any different.

motownusa- the new 3.0L in the GS300 is actually pretty torquey, much more torquey than, for example, the 3.0L that Honda uses in the Accord. Its peak torque is fairly low on the tach... have you driven a GS? It doesnt feel nearly as listless as some of the naysayers would have want you to believe. Yes, the 3.5L should be the engine, but it is coming, and like you said, this is a stopgap measure.

~alpha
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    what he said. The 3.0 in the GS is has more power AND torque than the current 3.3 and is more fuel efficient. There is no need whatsoever to use the 3.5 and seeing as probably the GS will up to the 3.5, there isnt really anything else to put the 3.0 in, and why would it be dropped being a recently developed engine? If u guys are right about the 3.0 being dropped, then logically the 2.5 will be dropped as well, assuming that the IS up to a 3.0 instead of the 250.........oh wait......then that 3.0 would have to be the GS's 3.0l right? :P
    Hi Alpha :D

I have driven the GS300 but not the current 06 one. I drove an 02 Loaner about 3 years ago. I believe that car has a different 3.0L engine than the current one, doesn't it ? Anyway, the car was very peppy with more than enough power for everyday driving. Since I haven't driven any new Toyotas or Lexus with the new 3.5L engine I don't know how it would compare. But you are right, from a performance point of view the 3.0L engine certainly isn't underpowered by any means. My point was when there is a more fuel efficient and yet more powerful 3.5L engine available it doesn't make any sense to continue on with the 3.0L engine. As far as the Camry getting a 3.3L engine rather than the 3.5L, it is still speculation by auto magazine and not set in stone. I don' t think it will be too difficult to build a destroked 3.3L engine that could still produce 240 + Hp. From a performance point of view 240 Hp should be enough for the V6 Camry. It would also set the Camry apart from the Avalon which I think Toyota wants to do.
    Have you driven the 06 GS 300 ? If so what was your impression?
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    Toyota should have the Solara redesigned with the Camry so they can have the same generation platform and get the same upgrades when there is any other upgrade. It might also be cheaper to produce. The Honda Accord Sedan and Coupe follow each other in redesigns or refreshings. The redesign of the Camry Solara with the Camry will help out the Solara. Sales wont be as good if we just kept it. The style is not that great and Toyota will only be getting stronger if it got redesigned.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    It's old-tech, and with the 3.5 making the rounds in the Avalon and Rav4 (?), that's the odds-on favorite.

Putting the 3.5 into the Rav4 definitely throws a curve into the market. The 3.0 would've made sense here, as the CR-V is the main competition, and doesn't offer a V-6. Toyota musta been thinking ahead and believes the nex CR-V will get Honda's Big 6.

I say, for the record, Camry gets 3.5 rated at 30HP less than Avalaon's 2006 SAE adjusted HP. It will get 23/30.

The GS350 is 300+ HP in 2008. V8 adds at least 50HP, probably more.

The IS300 comes for 2008 as well with 245HP.

What the plan is for a clearly overwhelmed 2.5, THAT is the question! :confuse:

DrFill
    The RAV continues and replaces the 4c Highlander which did nothing. The new Highlander I believe wll only be a V6 ( +HSD ). The RAV fills the void left by the departure of the 4c Highlander and supports the Highlander V6 by having it's own V6 but in a loaded up form. The parallel is the V6 XLE Camry vs the XL Avalon.

The Camry I believe ( post on Hybrid News forum today ) will concentrate on the 2.4L 4c since it's already nearly 85% of sales. To do this I think the HSD 4c 'replaces' the current 3.0L with the same HP and performance but 100% better gas mileage.... at the same price differential as the current 3.0L V6; i.e. ~ $2500
    This allows them to produce even MORE 4c Camry's ( better production & lower costs ) and it improves the CAFE averages. It also allows them to attract a different segment of buyer .. a V6 driver concerned abt the environment, who wants a 'full-sized' midsized car with good performance. This might not be a current Toyota owner but a 'conquest sale'.

I think that they will keep some version of the 3.3L just to satisfy the traditional V6 driver but possibly only in the XLE model loaded up but not intruding on the Avalon
    The Camry run rate on V6s for this generation is in the ballpark of 20-25%, not 15%. This has come up before.

My feeling is that you will be proven wrong. The 3.3L that is currently available will be terminated, and I dont see Toyota reducing the Camry trim lines on which a V6 is available- the V6, for example, sets the Avalon apart from its competition and would be a competitive advantage in the midsize segment as well- especially if it can hit 22/31 like the Avalon does- the Accord V6 produces 24 fewer horses, 30 foot pounds fewer torque, and doesnt hit that hwy number.

Toyota always has cafe in mind, but with each generation of engines, its cars are becoming more fuel efficient. The Yaris will take a big bite into raising CAFE averages for the model line, on a sales weighted basis, if it can hit its projections. That, and the new RAV4 which is more efficient, Avalon which is more efficient than the model it replaces, etc...

IMO, if Toyota doesnt into this Camry in LE, SE, and XLE all having an available V6 (either the *NEW* 3.0L or the 3.5L) it will be shooting itself in the foot. The game is marketing, and Toyota doesnt usually mis-step, but when it does, OUCH!
    (think: T100, ECHO)

~alpha
    The Camry run rate on V6s for this generation is in the ballpark of 20-25%, not 15%. This has come up before
    You'll have to cite some reference here because in our region/store it's 90%+ 4c. Right now 70% of all inventory is base LE (20%) or the Standard version ( 50% ). I'm open to being proven wrong though

IMO, if Toyota doesnt into this Camry in LE, SE, and XLE all having an available V6 (either the *NEW* 3.0L or the 3.5L) it will be shooting itself in the foot. The game is marketing, and Toyota doesnt usually mis-step,

As you know the Camry is never perceived as a performance vehicle and ( it may be by agreement in Japan ) it always has the smallest engine in its class vis-a-vis Honda and Nissan. It aims ( marketing ) at the center of the market where performance is the last of the factors in a buying decision. They may start out with an LE V6 in March but like now I believe it will be a non-seller. Why would someone pay the same price for a V6 @ 27 combined EPA vs an HSD 4c with the same performance @ 40 combined EPA.

Now the SE model w/ the 3.5L, THAT might be something to drive.

but when it does, OUCH!
    (think: T100, ECHO)

Did you notice how they learn and react immediately tho. They seem to take a first step and test the waters. Then BOOM! a top notch product

T100 ( beloved but ) --> Tundra ---> FTX '08
    Echo ( yuck ) ----> xA and xB ( cant keep them in stock ) + Yaris
    No MT is offered, so enthusiast don't care. The suspension is not adjusted enough on the SE to make a sales difference.

If 100k Camry sales are V6, the SE probably wasn't any more than 20k. The cost to tuned two engines, when you aren't making suspension or transmission improvements to improve sales, just doesn't justify.

Either make a sports sedan version, or don't. The current SE is hardly a real effort to make one.

DrFill
    I've already cited evidence to you of dealers where the V6 is 33% of inventory.

www.carsontoyota.com

~alpha
    If its one dealer you are looking at then that's not statistically relevant any more than our inventory which is 90+% 4c. Their website mentions 142 Camry's ( out of 400000+ sold per year ) I was looking for something you might have seen at WARDS or some other industry publication about nationwide Camry sales. The 84% figure was in an article here or another site which on balance seems reasonable. It's half way between your 75% and my 90%.
    Fair enough. 16% of 400K is still 64,000 V6 Camrys... though I really think it runs at 20-25%, based on what Ive read. According the WSJ, it was up until only recently (due to gas prices), that the Accord stopped running 25-30% V6s, and that 4 is stronger than the Camrys....

~alpha
  • manukumarmanukumar Member Posts: 9
    The quality and reliability of the old 3.0 will be missed. Toyota had had this engine in some form or another since 1998 (9 model years) with only minor tweaks such as adding VVTI. I had a 1999 V6 LE that I used for 6 years without a single problem, the engine was one the smoothest and quietest I have ever driven, always ready with a reserve of power whenever you needed it. I used to travel a lot those days and use rental cars (mostly GM/Ford) and just long to get back to home base and drive my Camry again, it was such a world apart from the competition. :)

I drove a friend's Lexus RX 330 and also a rental Solara recently, both of which have has the 3.3 V6 and I cannot say I was as pleased. Although supposedly more powerful, the 3.3 was just not as satisfying, felt less like a car engine and more like an SUV/Minivan engine (which is probably the more common application of this engine anyway). Just did not feel as much in control. :mad:
    Thats rather strange. The 3.3L essentially *IS* the 3.0L.

You also are comparing a V6 in a car to a V6 in a much heavier SUV, and the 3.3L has greater emissions controls and is hooked up to a different transmission than youre used to. The comparison is so far from apples to apples, Im not sure it means very much.

~alpha
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I am more curious where Toyota will go with the 4-cyl. Big boost in fuel economy? Add another 20 hp? Change nothing, keep prices low?

My vote is for a big fuel economy boost.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

The 2.4L will add 12 real horses and about 5 foot-pounds of twist, to 166 hp and 165. This will occur via the use of VVT on both the intake and exhaust valves, and will give a performance boost as well as hopefully improve overall MPG by 1 or 2, depending on weight gain of the redesign and gearing.

Thats my guess, anyway, but I bet its correct.

~alpha
    For more info on the next Camry 4. Just adjust slightly upward in economy numbers.

DrFill
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    What makes you guys think this is even possible?

Honda just did the same thing for the power, but didn't see any improvement in mileage. Why do you think Toyota will eek out 2 MPG on top of the performance boost?

The biggest thing Toyota could do to improve the highway MPGs is to reduce the coefficient of drag for the body. Bucking the wind takes over 50% of your power at highway speeds. A reduction from the current 0.29 to 0.26 or so should improve highway MPGs by 5% or so.