Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Toyota stated last year from now on they will style their vehicles to go after younger buyers. So its a wait and see deal to see how Toyota styles this next generation Camry. Toyota said when they released the current Camry they had high hopes on getting younger buyers but I don't think they have fared that well. I think Toyota has a new guy in charge of the styling department and he has said he wants to put more emotion into how Toyota styles the the next coming Corolla's and Camry's. Looks like they are off to go a good start though..I saw a car commercial tonight and I was like what is that car? It was the brand new 06 Lexus GS. It was unbelievable to me it was a Lexus.
  • nikknikk Member Posts: 2
    if sumone was to buy a 05 camry with the i4 engine.. can u swap the engine to the v6 later?..
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes, but it would be cheaper to sell the car and get a new one.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    Toyota have released a supercharged V6 Camry at the Melbourne Motor Show. Apparently it won't make the current production line, but the supercharged V6s could be very likely in the next Camry iteration.

• motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I think the SC V6 is just a concept only, just trying to gouge the public's interest. A more likely scenario for the North American version is that the 3.0 V6 is replaced by the 3.3L across the board. I am sure the 3.3 L engine could be modified to produce at least another 20 or so horsepower
  • nikknikk Member Posts: 2
    lol that duznt help much.. actually the thing is i got the scion tc.. and since the tc has the same i4 engine as the 05 camry.. i was wonderin if i'd have enuff room to put in the camry v6... if its possible.. and then add the supercharger.. duz ne one kno if i can swap the tc engin wit the camry v6?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    may not be the best thread to answer your question. Why not ask people in the Scion tC thread, since they are more likely to know how much space you have to play with under that hood.
    And why not just add the supercharger to the I4 in there now? By the time you do all that work to transplant the V6, transmission, etc, you would have been able to get a 330i coupe.

~alpha
    At what point is more power not needed? If 20-30 hp keeps getting added every few years - we will be up at 400 hp before too long.

Why not keep the same hp and decrease the engine size slowly so the thing is more nimble and efficient?
  • mikeo715mikeo715 Member Posts: 1
    When will Toyota have the next style change for the Camry?
    At what point is more power not needed? If 20-30 hp keeps getting added every few years - we will be up at 400 hp before too long

I don't think so. If oil prices keep going up as they are right now, the opposite could happen. Just like it happened back in the early 70's.
    Most likely MY 07 if Toyota keeps up its tradition of completely redesigning a car every 5 years.
  • ryousukeryousuke Member Posts: 12
    I agree with the SC V6 being a concept (whats with the dumb fender flares anyways? why does toyota make ugly body kits.... for example the ones on the corolla... up here anyways).... im pretty sure the camrys have already been powered by 3.3L engine... i think they been doing it since the ES300 became the ES330...
    http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Toyota.spy?artid=37606

This bodes well for the next-generation Camry, however, as it is slated to be built on a variation of the new Avalon's chassis architecture, and from what I've been told, feature a version of the powerful new 3.5-litre V6 in its top trim level

The article is an Avalon review for a Canadian magazine. It mentions that the next generation Camry will be based on the 05 Avalon platform and will likely get the 3.5 L v6 from the Avalon.

That would be awesome. Although I am sure it probably will be detuned to produce 20 less hp. Looks like the 3.3L engine will be history by the time the next generation Camry arrives.
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    But why build an all new 3.0 V6 if they won't use it in camry?? 245 hp seems enough for this car and it would differenciate the Avalon and Camry even more, having 2 different engines!!
    But why build an all new 3.0 V6 if they won't use it in camry?? 245 hp seems enough for this car and it would differentiate the Avalon and Camry even more, having 2 different engines!!

Good question especially since the upcoming IS can also be equipped with the 3.5L V6. I think the 3.0L engine probably won't last more than two model years. Isn't Lexus working on a GS 350 ?
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    Lexus already has a GS350, just not ready for anywhere outside Japan at the moment. Apparently they are tweaking it so it will pass tough emission requirements.
  • kronogoosekronogoose Member Posts: 116
    ever be available with the V6? I know some manufacturers, like Mazda, Nissan and Infiniti, offer mid-size sedans with a V6 and manual transmission combo. Why not Toyota?
    Because they did offer a Manual tranny and V6 in the 1993-1996 Camry SE and in the 97-98 CE and 99-01 LE, and few were sold.

~alpha
  • treynardtreynard Member Posts: 12
    A Toyota salesman told me recently that the all-new 2007 Camry will be out in early 2006, perhaps January. The 2006 model year would last only a few months. Anybody else heard something like this? Any spy photos or concept drawings in the automotive media?

I've looked at the new '05 Avalon. It is nice, but I'm a bit surprised they didn't badge it as an '06 model. That would seem to make more sense. Some of the folks on the Avalon board say they might postpone buying until the '06 model is available, presumeably in 5 months or so. The new Avalon seems to be selling very nicely; especially the Limited trim level, which appears to be in short supply. I've driven the new Avalon, and there is some torque pull that's obvious when you accelerate rapidly. I think 280 hp would be too much for the smaller Camry, but many are suggesting a variant of this motor might be used.

I've shopped for an Avalon, but I really don't need this big a boat. That's why I'm wondering if it's wise to wait a bit to see what the new Camry will be like. Any images or links to images would be appreciated. Regards - T Reynard
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Toyota keeps its secrets pretty well, sadly. I'm pretty sure that the new Camry will be better than the current. And if it has the 3.5L, the top trim levels will be quite a match for Nissan, Honda, etc.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    The timing you mention has elements of truth. ;)
  • tuffytuffy Member Posts: 63
    Any information yet on when the 2007 Camry will be forthcoming? I am in the market now as I just sold my 1999 Camry. I like the 2005 model and am also considering a new Avalon, however, I would hate to purchase a 2005 Camry just to have the newly restyled version come out in only 7 months.

Also, any word or pictures on what the 2007 Camry will look like and what features it might have available? Hopefully, it will be larger, still provide a great smooth 4 cylinder with even better gas mileage, and have more safety features likes VSC and knee air bags available on the 4 cylinder model in all parts of the country. I know, given toyota's marketing strategy, all the things we want will never be available in one area.

Also, why doesn't Toyota drop those terribly cheap Bridgestone Potenza tires and put something on that has a much higher mileage rating? Makes no sense to build one of the best more reliable vehicles in the world and then put cheaper tires on it when other options that are reasonably prices are available.
  • tuffytuffy Member Posts: 63
    Any body know any more about the rollout date of the 2007 Camry or any early pictures. What dealer told you about the early date for the 2007 Camry as I would like to talk with them.

Thanks!
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    Putting a set of cheaper tires is just a way for them to cut cost. As we can tell, the price between a good set of tires can cost few hundreds dollar more.
    Just like the 97-01 Camry, ABS was a standard feature across all LE. But I think since 02, it's either a option or part of a package in order to get ABS. The idea of selecting package is the way they make up the profile. Seriously, how many people will really buy a barebone LE out of the dealership.

Toyota has a 10 yr cost reduction plan since 6-7 years ago (I read it from a newspaper while they were talking about troubles GM is having).
    Actually, ABS was standard on Camry LE from 97-99. It became an option for 2000 and 2001, and remained that way on the LE until this model year, 2005, where ABS is again standard on ALL Camrys, including the 'Standard' model.

~alpha
  • jomabu1jomabu1 Member Posts: 37
    Visited my Toyota dealer and he said that they were expecting 20% of the Camry production to be hybrid models. Has anyone else heard the same? Was also told that they were expecting them in January. The dealer had also started a waiting list.
    That date, January, has been thrown around fairly often lately in regards to the Camry redesign. Personally, that strikes me as very early, as the current model was introduced in August of 2001 as a 2002 model. However, this is not unprecedented- Toyota ran a short cycle with the previous generation Corolla (they issued 5 model years, from 98-02, but the 02 model year was short and the 2003 Corolla debuted in February of 2002).

I'd be VERY surprised if Toyota a) not only had a redesign in Jan 06 but b) had a hybrid model at the time, with capacity to meet 20% of sales.

(20% of sales at the current yearly volume hovering around 385K units would be 77,000 units).

~alpha
  • jomabu1jomabu1 Member Posts: 37
    I thought 20% of sales was over the top as an estimate. I do think 77,000 units is doable just not in the first year. Wasn't Prius production increased by 50% recently? Speaking of Prius he (the salesman) said that they would be selling for invoice later this year and that production will catch with demand.

Wasn't the 01 remodel just a refresh? Also a new 06 model would come the 4 year mark which is about on schedule.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    2002 was the redesign, and the refresh happened for the 2005 model. I still don't see where people are getting the idea that the 2007 model Camry is going to show up early in 2006; I've seen nothing in the automotive press.

And like the 1997 Camry, I would expect the 2007 will basically be a new body on the same platform, probably with a version of the new V6 that's now in the Avalon. The 1992 and 2002 models were the ones that got the major reworks.
  • ian721ian721 Member Posts: 93
    A good industry site to see all about the build dates for next year's Toyotas. Some interesting other stuff too if you poke around:

http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Are they going to make it look a little less boring? I bought a new car recently and considered a Camry before heading to the auto show where I sat in a Camry LE, 4 Cylinder, almost stripped. Totally boring! I finally realized that people bought the Lexus ES330 not primarily for the badge but because it looks slightly less boring and more stylish than the Camry.

I ended up with a brand new version (never titled) of the last generation Maxima. (Infiniti I35)
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    Honda is missing from the Donlen list :( I was hoping to find out if the 2006 Accord was coming out earlier than Aug/Sept. The 2006 Camry will be available in Aug. so maybe Honda will release the 06 Accord at the same time.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    You sat in the wrong Camry. I just bought a new SE-V6 and I don't think it's boring at all. May not be as exciting as a G35 or TL but then it didn't cost $33,000 either. Check it out.

http://home.comcast.net/~lmacmil/images/CamrySE.JPG
    The front end looks much better than the 02-04 models. The SE V6 is definitely the one to buy; wish they had it back in 2003 :( Thanks for posting the pic. It's a beautiful car
    Thanks for the link. I am a bit surprised the website doesn't list the build date for the Camry Hybrid. I thought the hybrid Camry is coming for MY 06
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    My Infiniti I35 didn't cost $33,000 either. Actually, cost about as much as a Camry XLE V6 or Accord EX V6. (non navigation)
    That SE V-6 looks classy. I like it....
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Strike while the iron is hot. The Accord has been out for almost a year and a half by then. The Prius will go over 100k this year. People want TOYOTA hybrids, apparently, so why not give them what they want??

If it does come out early, it may be a warmed over version of the current ones in use in the RX/HL, with far better milage due to much lower weight. An improved, new engine version would make a mid-gen refresh in 2008-9, which would probably be 3.5, and debut in the next HL in 2008.

Strange that the market has pretty much rejected the Accord Hybrid, and fallen for the Prius so hard.

DrFill
    I really hope the Camry hybrid is a 4-cyl and not a V-6. V-6 is overkill, would not get nearly the gas mileage, and would be the most expensive Camry - hardly mainstream.
    My guess is both the 4 and 6 will get a hybrid version. I am assuming the V6 hybrid will produce similar HP and Torque like the Lexus RX400h and Highlander Hybrid. I think the V6 hybrid is needed to compete against the Accord Hybrid and the 4 cylinder will cater to those who cares more about fuel economy than performance
    Toyota loves having the Camry as best selling car.... and the obvious was to get more sales is to offer more variations, no?
    Camry I-4
    Camry V-6
    Camry I-4 Hybrid
    Camry V-6 Hybrid

Toyota was smart enough to watch Honda rush to the midsize hybrid market with the Accord and fall right on their face. They can't just do an upper end one. That would puch the Camry up into Lexus territory, and I have no doubt that there will be an ES hybrid someday relatively soon....
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Toyota already has a midsize 4 cyl. hybrid (the first hybrid in the world). It's called the Prius. I don't think they are in a hurry to manufacture a 4 cyl. hybrid Camry. A high end hybrid Camry model is all that would be required at this time. Until the manufacturing price comes down, the demand would propably not be there.
    Yes they have the Prius, but it is still smaller than the Camry, and is relatively slow. A hybrid Camry could have better acceleration than the 4-cyl Camry, which is already quite a bit quicker than the Prius.

Also, unlike Honda, Toyota already has several V-6 hybrids - Highlander and RX.

If Toyota wants to mainstream the hybrid, then the 4-cyl Camry is the way to go.

Personally a 4-cyl Camry hybrid would be at the top of my list (if they had a wagon that would be better) if it had a manual transmission. I would not even bother to look at a V-6 hybrid - too expensive and minimal (if any) improvement in mpg over a manual tranny 4-cyl.

Honda is coming out with a new larger Civic this fall that will have a hybrid and a manual tranny, so that is a possibility as well.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    You may be right (with a 4 cyl. Camry). I don't agree. The interior space is quite adequate in the Prius. The liftback also makes the trunk space quite useful. However, if memory serves me, the acceleration of the Prius is similar to the 4 cyl. Camry. I'm not into the technology, but wouldn't a manual be redundant with a CVT (Continuasly Variable Transmission)? It would already give you maximum gas mileage. Time will tell.
    While there are a dozen reasons I prefer a manual tranny to an automatic, the most important is fun :D .

Honestly I would take a manual Camry over an automatic BMW. I drove my brothers automatic 530i and just did not get the whole push on the gas and let the car shift thing. Yes it has whatevertronic, but that is pointless - shifting for show.

The Prius is quite roomy, and I love the hatch (as I said wagons are my preference and hatches are a close second). The Camry is still quite a bit roomier. The hatch area (up to the ceiling) is included in EPA class measurements, so that is why the Prius is in the same category as the Camry.

As far as acceleration goes - don't forget that all the comparisons that may show the Prius to be not very far behind the Camry are comparing two automatics. The manual Camry is about a second faster to 60 than the automatic.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    ...just try to find a manual Camry. I actually saw one '04 SE on the local dealer's lot.
    Darcars in Rockville, MD has 6 of them on the lot right now, and my local dealer had one a little while ago and they never have more than 3 or 4 Camrys at a time. It sold in a week. Yes they are rare, but they are out there.
    IMO, a manual transmission, Camry SE with alloys, side curtains/airbags, and rear spoiler is a tremendous value, IMO: $22,346 MSRP and under $20 selling price with good negotiating. You've got it all right there- better handling, good pep, nice wheels, great safety features, top-notch fuel economy, plenty of room, moonroof, I could go on and on. Its cheaper than a like Accord EX 5M and has a power drivers seat, fog lamps, rear spoiler to boot.

~alpha
    Yes the SE manual is a good deal.

For me though, a Camry standard with the manual tranny at 16.5k and sometimes 15.9k is even better. I much prefer to not have a spoiler or a sunroof, and I don't like silver gauges (not enough contrast). I wouldn't mind the suspension of the SE though, but 3-4k buys a lot of tires shocks etc.

The only thing I really miss would be the keyless entry, but that is pretty minor since I live in a town where it is not necessary to lock you car.
    SEs dont have silver instrumentation starting with 2005, fwiw.

~alpha