Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future of Saab?

Comments

• Anyone have any solid info on the newest Saab to allegedly be introduced in May 07?
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I haven't heard anything of a Saab coming out in May, as it would have hit the auto show circuit already.

I did read Automobile magazine a few days ago and they had an article about Saab's future plans; they said that a 9-5 hatchback has been confirmed (for 2009), along with a next-generation Opel Astra based 9-1, and a 9-4X crossover based on Lambda, I believe. (not too sure on that last one)
  • OK, had it from a failry reliable source of something new in May. Shall let you know if it happens...
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    I sell them for a living and have no idea what you're referring to.
  • OK, let's just wait and see...
  • The new SUV is coming out in August, saw it in Vegas...cool, better than the 9-7x. 9-3 is going all wheel drive this fall but I bet the payments will be outrageous for a while. Waiting to see, interested but incentives usually surface at dealers in spring following a new product.

I have heard nothing on a hatchback remake......
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    Unless your source is named Bob Lutz or Jay Spenchian,I think my access to Saab product introduction schedules is very likely more accurate than yours.As to any SUV you might have seen in Vegas...the only Saab SUV in Vegas would have been at the SEMA tuner expo and was the 9-7X Aero,a very moderately re-done version of the current model,fitted out with a lowered suspension and 24 inch chrome rims done by DUB...nice looking vehicle but readily apparent to anyone familiar with the 9-7x that it was hardly a replacement new model!
    we just have to wait and see.

A new SUV in August would make no sense unless the 9-7X was axed.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Edmunds, hasn't said hardly anything about Saab, in about 3-4 months. I wonder if any of you have seen any pics of the future products ?

Rocky
    I haven't seen anything, or heard anything.

I think they're laying low until the new 9-5, refreshed 9-3 (the 9-3 will be out in August) and from what I've read in Automobile magazine, there will be a 9-1 and a 9-4X, so if all that is true then I'm sure they have their hands full.

I'm interested to see when the 9-7X will be axed. Saab has probably learned its lesson that rebadging doesn't really work for them...
    Okay, I figured you jchan2, would know..... ;)

Rocky
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,140
    Something to chew on until the future arrives:

"Saab, the Swedish automaker that earned its wings from aviation, is celebrating its diamond anniversary this year with a number of special activities and events."

Saab 60th Anniversary Display in GM World (Straightline)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• swadetsswadets Posts: 1
    The only thing GM mentioned as being shown in August was a MY2008 production vehicle, which is the new 9-3 to be first shown in Sweden in June.

The 9-4x is still a year away to the best of my knowledge.
    Well I read that Saab is building a new 9-3 Convertible. I sure hope it has creature features like those in Cadillac's such as a very powerful 5.1-7.1 surround sound system, ventilated seats, voice recognition system with navigation, blue tooth, (XWD) All Wheel Drive with 4 Wheel Steering and yes I want the "Black Turbo" engine with 320+ horsepower. Throw in Delphi's Magnetic Ride Control shocks while your at it. Come-on Saab, deliver me a high performance XWD Convertible I've always wanted. I was looking at the Buick Velite Convertible and prayed it would get made but I would be just as happy if you guys made me a convertible. Give us the "gadgets" and Jet like Performance with bringing out a "Black Turbo" also known as "Viggen" around some circles. I want Saab, to be a successful part of General Motors, but these new products are so darn important. So the next 9-3 and 9-5 have to set some sort of standard. I've never owned a Saab, but I'd like to. Give me a reason to spend my hard earned money on one of your products. Yes give us the Safest Convertible in the world along with another safest Sedan in the world the 9-3 and soon to come re made 9-5. I sure hope Saab, would give us some photo's of the next 9-5 but I think I'll be plenty happy with a slick looking 9-3 convertible so please make this car right. I've seen the spy photos of the 9-3 and I like what I see. Now bring it here ASAP !!!!!

Thanks,

Rocky
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,174
    Yes give us the Safest Convertible in the world along with another safest Sedan in the world the 9-3 and soon to come re made 9-5.

lol. I'd be willing to bet against those claims. :shades:
  • grylexis300grylexis300 Posts: 53
    In the future Saab will continue its slide in the united states as long as toyota offers its lexus brand. but i don't want Saabs and jags and MB's being run out of town because i find it amusing when they round out the bottom of every car comparo in just about every magazine.
  • smokennedysmokennedy Posts: 8
    As a past and current owner of a Saab (900 SE turbo conv), I think they represent some real value and have many enduring features. That's why they've developed a good following. GM did dilute the brand somewhat but it does represent an opportunity for GM to really tweak the brand. Rockylee is right. Keep the safety (always better then Volvo), performance, fuel economy, and near luxury at a reasonable price and they'd have a winner. I was excited about the Saab/Subaru venture but that didn't pan out. My Saab gets 24-25 mpg around town with a sweet turbo purr and nothing else is like it! Otherwise, we'd all be in the same boring cars (camry comes to mind). Just my $.02 :)
    I love the pics I've seen of the 2008 Saab 9-3 convertible. If I can get through this major bump in my life I would still ike to buy one. I can't wait to see how much and what new features I will see on em' ???? ;)

-Rocky
    the refresh of the 9-3 for 2008 will be important, I feel that the 9-4X crossover in the works is more critical for Saab, as luxury crossovers are rather popular with American buyers.

Needless to say, I do like the 08 9-3 so far, but we'll have to see where GM decides to go on price.

I wonder when the 9-1 will finally be unveiled, and where it will ultimately be produced. I'm pulling for Trollhattan, but Russelheim, Germany makes sense also, given that Saab is using more Opel material...
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Saturday's Boston Globe had a long profile of Steve Shannon, the new Saab USA General Manager on the front page of the Automotive Section. If you didn't read the article and see the accompanying photo you wouldn't believe it. Then again, what has happened to Saab is generally speaking unbelievable anyway.

Saab's new USA General Manager is a 48 year old guy with more SAE 90 grease in his hair--I guess they call it Gel these days-than a college kid on a big date, whose last job was Buick General Manager. Knowing how Detroit thinks, this has got to be seen as a major demotion for him and indicates to me how much importance GM puts on the assignment. This is like the Pentagon sending the Commanding General of the 82d Airborne to run the Kansas National Guard division.

Our new GM, the keeper of the Saab flame, was asked if the Saab heritage was in good hands and if he can resist pressure to use more GM parts in Saabs. He says he can resist the pressure by using "under the skin parts and global architecture". Sounds like badge engineering to me. For those of you who don't recall, the British automotive industry went away in a hurry due to lousy cars, high internal labor costs, and little product differentiation.

He confirmed that 40% of Saabs US sales are in the six New England states. Exactly like Mack Truck: a mature, regional brand with little appeal beyond the vocational (e.g., refuse hauling) markets of the Northeast. Saab is a brand under serious attack because new, stronger entrants, Suburu from the bottom and Volvo from above, have entered the Saab "space".

That Saab, the original winter car (does anyone recall the OEM front cover that you snapped in over the front of the grill--like on a Class 8 truck-- on Saabs?) doesn't have an AWD option by now is criminal. Afterall, Suburu is all AWD all the time and Volvo is about to embark this fall with their new '08's with their THIRD generation of AWD wagons. In fact, Volvo has had AWD for more than 20 years and these guys can't even call Haldex and order up a similar system? Its nuts.

Good luck, Mr. Shannon. Maybe you could entice a private equity firm to take Saab off GMs hands and Jag off Fords hands and market it as the Northern European alternative to the Germans?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    The only SAAB I would be interested in is the 9-3 convertible and then I would probably get the C70 convertible instead. You can get the hardtop C70 for about the same price as the top of the line 9-3.
    Saab, is going to offer AWD on all it's new models. They are calling their AWD system "XWD" but I don't know the details on it ????

-Rocky
    I thought that at first XWD would be limited to the Black Turbo Aero edition of the 9-3.

AWD makes sense though. Why Saab didn't do this 10 years ago bothers me...
    jchan2,

Well GM, is finally listening and I believe the future of Saab, will be a great one based on what I've read. I really think theiris a market for Saab,as they are still quirky and can compete well against European auto's. Saab, still has that safety image andwith gas prices rising a Black Turbo sounds better than a gas guzzling V8 :shades:

Just my $0.02 :)

-Rocky
    Before they go putting Black Turbos in every car, I think the 9-5 deserves a redesign. The platform it rides on right now is very dated, and while it's held it's own, it's probably time to retire it.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Gee the Black Turbo edition sounds interesting. Where can I read more about it?

I wonder whose AWD they are using? Haldex? Someone else's?
    There's this blog out there called trollhattansaab.net, and they've been receiving info for a while about the Black Turbo.

I believe they are using Haldex's AWD system, under the name XWD.