Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rio

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    at the city library at Pocatello. Now that you've mentioned that I'll probably just check it out at the library.

This new '06 Rio looks good in both the sedan and hatchback form, with each one having it's own merits. I don't think I could go wrong with either one, though it has to be a manual tranny.

I really like the standard safety equipment built into each and every '06 Rio and '06 Rio5. :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

on this thread for a couple days was not true. The '06 Kia Rio sedan and Rio5 hatchback will get speed-sensing hydraulic power-assist rack and pinion steering.

I did a little research because I was interested and found out the truth. Very nice, though, and I think it will prove to give the Rio/Rio5 a responsive and sporty feel around turns.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You meant "have", not "will get", right?
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    To save everyone the trouble going to the library, here's the direct link to the actual article which is now online:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=10249

Kia Rio/Rio5

Still bottom dollar, but no longer cheap.

BY ROBIN WARNER
    December 2005

-SM
    I meant the '06 Rio sedan and Rio5 have speed-sensing hydraulic power-assist rack and pinion steering.

does your '06 Rio have an automatic transmission or manual?
    :D

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    11.8 seconds to 60 is surprisingly slow, given the decent output figures of the 1.6L engine- perhaps those figures arent accurate (ie... SAE Certified)? The COTY issue of MotorTrend also has the Accent tested at 11.8 to 60 with the 4sp AT.

~alpha
    from 0-60 in 9.5 seconds according to the December 2005 Car and Driver magazine. I would take their word for that but I'm not the type to worry about acceleration, either.

For us it's either a 2006 Kia Rio5 in 5-speed form or hanging on to our '01 Kia Sportage 4x4. SE Idaho gets a decent dumping of snow I've found out! The Sportage's 4x4 is really coming in handy! :D

C/D's was an estimated time. Motor Trend's was actually an instrumented test. Big difference, and I'd put more credence in the instrumented test, even if it is from MT, which I dont particularly care for.

~alpha
    numbers like frandaman's keep me interested in either a 2006 Kia Rio 4-door sedan or Kia Rio5. That's a pretty good testimony on your Rio, frandaman...that's the type of report I look forward to getting on these new "Euro-designed" Kia's.

Oh, BTW, the Tropical Red 5-speed Kia Rio5 for $14,190 is still at my local Kia dealer, which is only a mile-and-a-half away from me! :)

new 2006 Kia Rio5 that I particularly like.

Photo courtesy of the autochannel.com

I see some Mazda body design in it...is that the Mazda5 I see in there? The Mazda5? Kia has (had) a working relationship with Mazda in the 1980's and used the old Mazda 123 chassis to plop it's original Sephia body onto.

No, this is the first picture I have found of what will probably be our next car that looks a tad Mazda-ish to it.
    I like this one...I put it on my computer's Windows page as the background and this one will be the one that stays there. The color of the car in this picture is close to the one at my local Kia dealer...it is Tropical Red and this one is either that color or an orange of some sort. I like them both and either color would be great. :D

Mazda? How about Mercedes-Benz! Have you noticed that the roofline is very similar to that of the new MB cross-over vehicle? The Rio5 costs a bit less, however. ;)
    if it was between the 2006 Kia Rio5 and the new Mercedes-Benz crossover vehicle I'd still pick the Kia. Even if somebody were going to give it away to me, I'd pick the Kia.

Good body design is an art, it's either learned properly or it isn't. MB designers could learn from Kia designers. I'm serious, too. :D

iluv, iluv, iluv... take the Merc! Sell it, buy a Kia and have enough left over for a nice down payment on a house! :)
    now you're talkin'! :D

• carlovermdacarlovermda Member Posts: 6
    I have an automatic.
    Road & Track has a short take on the Rio and Rio5 in their January issue. They were not exactly blown away by the car (remember they get to drive exotics all the time), but they had some favorable comments and noted the improvement over the prior generation. They summed up with "it does what it's designed to do" or something like that.
    mag writers say as dead-on accurate to what I like or want in a rig, either. I know that they spend time in the exotics and other-worldly types of cars that I would never be interested in. If one thinks about that that's bound to have an effect on how they view the "lower end" cars that I like and that I buy.

The 2006 Kia Rio/Rio5 are big improvements over the last generation, but, then again, I didn't think all that much was wrong with the last-gen Rio's!

One big improvement, IMO, is the car's wider and longer wheelbase and stance. It's got that muscular look to it and a nice style flair as well, and it has the CVVT motor that will generate better gas mileage and produce fewer emissions at the same time. A winning combo indeed! :D

• chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    The 2006 Kia Rio/Rio5 are big improvements over the last generation, but, then again, I didn't think all that much was wrong with the last-gen Rio's!

You are right, I have a 2004 Rio Cinco. It's been a great car. I had plans (before the pics came out) to replace it with a 2006 Rio Cinco now 5. But Kia had to screw it up by giving it a cheap "hatchback" look rather than the..IMO..better looking and more popular..again IMO.."station wagon" look.
    One of those "eye of the beholder" things I guess. I think the Rio5 is very sharp-looking, with a definite Euro flair, while the Cinco was kind of cute but very '90s in its rounded styling.
    Yeah you are right about that. I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy! IMO a hatchback denotes cheap. That's why you always see then in the lower car model lines. Tell me what luxury hathback has been or is out there?
    Times are a changing. Mercedes has a C-class hatchback and recently introduced a $50k crossover vehicle that has a hatch. The $30k Chrysler Pacifica has a hatch. The Audi A3 is a new $25k hatch. So hatches are moving upscale. They have always been very popular in Europe, of course.
    Point well taken, but Mercedes cancelled the C-class Hatch/Coupe thinggie for 2006, and I dont really consider the Pacifica,Freestyle,R-class etc... hatchbacks as much as crossover wagonoids. Its a tricky classification with so much blurring of the lines.

~alpha
    Yes, I agree-very blurry. When is a car a hatchback vs. a wagon? For example, Edmunds.com considers the Rio5 and Audi A3 to be a "wagons". But they consider the Focus ZX3 to be a "coupe."
    considered a "wagon" by Edmunds. Hey, chuck1959, the '06 Kia Rio5 is a wagon after all! :D

Yeah, it is getting blurry as manufacturers try to hit the right notes with the most people as to what to call the cars and how to design the right look into them.

The '06 Kia Rio5 is just about exactly what we're looking for. The back seat will have ample room for the two Pomeranians and our son when he is visiting us. For a while I was toying with the idea of buying a Scion tC. I seriously wondered whether the small breed of dog (bred down from the sled-dog German Spitz varieties)would be able to see out the windows of the back seat of the Scion tC coupe. That won't be a problem with the Rio5. They should be able to peer out the back whenever they feel like with this new "Euro-designed" Rio5.

BTW-it really is a "Euro" look, IMHO. I see some VW Passat in it's headlights, I see some of the M-Benz crossover in it's overall body shape.

As to it looking "cheap" chuck1959, take another long gander at the Orange '06 Rio5 I have posted a few posts back. That doesn't at all look cheap to me. Mazda5, too? Whew! Kia designers were having some serious design-fun with this one. The 5-speed Tropical Red '06 Kia Rio5 is still on my local dealer's lot waiting for...someone to come along and take it home. :D

I didn't mean to imply that the Rio5 itself was cheap. I just meant that the lower end "base" cars were usually hatchbacks.
    The Pacifica is not a true hatchback. Yeah but those are not selling well, hence the reputation people see hatches as cheap.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    American attitudes toward hatchbacks are interesting. I've been to London several times and there are tons of mid-size hatches over there. They definitely value utility over all else.

When I started my car shopping, I was looking for a 4-door sedan. My favorites were the Honda Civic and Mazda3. As it turned out, I couldn't find a 3 4-door in the color I wanted with the equipment I wanted. I did find the color and specs in the 5-door, though. I'm getting it this week.

To get back on topic, Kia really has done well with their 5-door/wagons. The Rio5 and Spectra5 are stunning, especially given the price. Hopefully we'll start to see more hatchbacks in the U.S. They really do make a lot more sense. Especially if you think of them as tiny SUVs with much better gas mileage.
    what is pulling me towards getting the '06 Kia Rio5. That and the simple fact that I'm hooked on it's body style. Very well done, Kia.

I would love to go ghost town exploring here in Idaho in the spring and summer of '06 and the Rio5, with it's CVVT engine working for me, would give me the gas mileage I want. I go by the lone '06 Kia Rio5 on the local Kia dealer's lot every morning after getting off work on the night shift to admire the Rio5's angular, small and muscular look. Really starting to dig it.

Iluv said:

"I go by the lone '06 Kia Rio5 on the local Kia dealer's lot every morning after getting off work on the night shift to admire the Rio5's angular, small and muscular look. Really starting to dig it."

set rodneydangerfield_mode on ;

Hey....maybe you two oughta get a room!!

set rodneydangerfield_mode off ;

Just kidding.... :-)

-SM
    spectraman. It's just that it suddenly occurred to me that this car is the one that would do the best job for us other than the '01 Kia Sportage 4x4.

I'll tell ya what, our Sportage 4x4 is perfect for eastern Idaho's snowy winters. It has helped me on at least one occasion get cleared of the snow and ice. It has good factory clearance and seems to invite snow play. We may just hold onto it and quit looking the other direction. :D

Maybe the grass isn't greener in Rio5 pastures, eh?

• carlovermdacarlovermda Member Posts: 6
    Below is a link to a fabulous newly discovered website. Essentially here is the Rio5 being shown in concept form back at the 2004 Paris autoshow. It is funny how I remember seeing the pics last year but just occurred when looking at this site that this is pre-production Rio5. Only if that engine could have made it to production.

http://www.globalautoindex.com/news.plt?no=937#
    yep, that's the one. Thank you for providing that link. That is definitely the car, it has those swirling crystalline taillights and that several-dimensional headlamp cluster in front.

Kia must've gotten some good feedback from people at the autoshows about the concept because they've produced a production model of it for 2006, as promised.

the 2006 Kia Rio5's manual shifter, which I will most definitely want in mine.

http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_- - int/754

The article mentions that drivers will "want the 5-speed manual that features a light-effort clutch pedal and slick shifting..."

Kia Rio Named Most Improved New Car for 2006 by Autobytel

The 2006 Kia Rio today received the Autobytel "Editors' Choice Award for Most Improved New Car."

http://www.automotive.com/features/90/auto-news/17294/index.html

-SM
    Well, when you are coming from as far back as the Rio did, it's a no-brainer award. :)

Think about it... with the Neon outta here and the Rio redesigned, are there really any bad cars out there?
    I for one am not surprised. I have a 2002 (actually I bought it for my mother) and 2004 Kia Rio Cincos, I couldn't believe what a difference 2 years made! I was set to trade for a 2006 but alas they went hatchback! I so much prefered the station wagon look. Oh well it looks like Kia has another winner under it's belt. Way to go Kia!!!

By the way where can I go to find the production/sales figures for my Kias?
    2006 Kia Rio5 as one of their contenders for 2006 Car of the Year.

They liked its spacious cabin, supportive front bucket seats, an upscale flavor inside and a tight component fit, great 32/35 gas mileage, and competent braking system.

The 2006 Kia Rio5 outbraked the 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6 by a foot but even more impressively it snuck through the slalom quicker than both the Eclipse and the Audi A3.

I have found that theautochannel.com is a great source of almost all carmakers sales figures. You just have to dig on the site to find them.

An easier way would be to Google "kia sales figures 2004" or whatever year you're wanting to know. If you aren't able to find it, tell me what year and model(s) you want to know and I'll track down the info for you.
    I looked on a previous post and see that you mentioned a 2004 Rio Cinco. From what I can find, it doesn't look like they break out the Cinco from the Rio sedan. Total 2004 sales for the Rio was 38,518 vs. 41,285 in 2003. I actually found these numbers on the Kia website. Here's the link-

http://www.kia.com/010405.php
    spend Spectra-size money on it. The Spectra is more in the $14,000-$15,000 range. The 2006 Kia Rio LX sedan I'm eyeing now at my local dealer is only $13,055. Subtract the $400 college grad rebate I can get (if I finance with Kia Finance that is)and I could get this nice little sedan equipped just right for only $12,655.

They have the '06 Rio5 in Tropical Red and 5-speeds for $14,110 and they have two sedans with the 5-speed tranny, one in Sapphire Blue color and one in Silver, both selling for $13,055. I just have a feeling I could wriggle one for a titch less than $12,655, and $12,655 is a great deal, IMHO. The weird thing is is they advertise the Silver one on their website but I don't see it on their lot. And I pull into their lot several times a week (when the salespeople aren't there)to look at my future car...I...I mean their nice South Korean-built motorcars.

I'm leanin' toward the '06 Rio LX in Sapphire Blue. It will go well with our newly-acquired house, which has blue as one of it's exterior colors. Sound like a good reason to get a Sapphire Blue baby to park out front? :D

I really like the sedan bodystyle better, so it's a good fit. I will move in a few weeks on it, we're still moving things in and, well, you know how that goes. My pool table gets assembled Tuesday morning. I can't wait to shoot pool in my own house. Whoo-hoooooo! :D Who wants to come over to shoot pool with me?

I was gonna say that the Silver Rio LX would be cool, too, as I like the contrast between the Silver paint and those black bodyside mouldings Kia is stamping on these new world order Rio's. ;)

I just popped back over here to Edmunds after visiting the Kia website and they are offering current Kia owners $500 owner loyalty rebates on new '06 Kia Rio's. Combine that rebate with the new college grad rebate and my 2006 Kia Rio LX sedan in Sapphire Blue and 5-speeds will cost me a whopping $12,155!

That is if I act between February 4th and March 28th. Perfect! I can't wait to go get it now!

Y'all know I'll keep you informed each step of the way!

that might be kind of difficult to find a 2006 Kia Rio5 for $12,000. I just can't believe that I can get my 2006 Kia Rio LX sedan in Sapphire Blue and 5-speeds for $12,155 with the two rebates I am eligible for. Outstanding car for an outstanding price, my friends. Just think of all of the airbags Kia has built into these cars!

Outstanding car maker for outstanding car buyers!

Whoo-hoo! The pool table will be put together Tuesday morning, too! Anybody living near Pocatello, ID, that wants to come over and help me inaugurate my new pool table? We've been in several houses throughout the years but none have had room for a pool table until now. :D

• razalonrazalon Member Posts: 7
    Anyone have any good info, or links for the Rio Hybrid that Edmunds has coming out in the Fall of 2006? It appears with the limited info that I have seen so far it will be a 1.4L engine, but that is about it. I assume this will be much cheaper then the Honda/Toyota models. They also have Hyundai coming out with a hybrid.
    This is the best article I've seen on the upcoming Rio/Accent hybrid:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/12/hyundai_unveils.php
  • razalonrazalon Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Chuck. I wonder if either will be at the car show here in February. Hopefully they are, and they have more info on them.
    Autobytel 2006 Most Improved Car of the Year Award.

Take that for what it's worth, but it really can't be viewed as a negative thing, if you're gonna buy a 2006 Kia Rio, right? That's the goodness of it, Kia is incorporating engineering niceties to their smallest cars as well, something GM and even Chrysler are learning too late in the game for themselves.

The Rio has all sorts of sound dampening equipment and a roll bar all around the passenger cabin, and they have improved the way they tie the Rio together, which really improves on the rattling and shaking inside the cabin. That is one of the things that has turned me off to the Scion brand of cars. So many people are fed up with their Scion's rattling noises coming from the back of the tC, for example. They are truly turning their tC into a rig, because they are rigging up their own sound dampening systems. Don't believe me? Well, just go over to the Scion tC and Scion problems and solutions threads here on Edmunds to see what I'm talking about.

Scion didn't bother to completely finish their cars for consumers. Kia does care about their small car consumers and has shown that by doing what I'm talking about above. Dampening out noises from the undercarriage.

The 2006 Kia Rio also employs state-of-the-art engine technology, intalling a 1.6L, inline 4 cylinder DOHC continuously variable valve timing motor in the 2006 Rio. Suffice to say that this technology will enable those that purchase 2006 Rio's to achieve better gas mileage and throw out less emissions into the air at the same time.

I do appreciate it. It only made me want to make sure and test drive the 2006 Tropical Red Kia Rio5 at my local dealer even more. At $14,195 (which is all I will pay, BTW, the car is loaded at that price, loaded enough with everything I will need, that is)I think it's a bargain.

You see, Kia is expecting us to look into their engineering package on this rig to the point of understanding all that they've included at the value price. I think it's an absolute bargain at that price. I like the two-color cloth interior you've described, but that is not enough to sway me to the Rio5. It will defintely take a test drive to see which one I want the best. Whichever one I get it must have the 5-speed tranny, and there is ample stock locally in 5-speeds waiting for me there.

I will deduct $500 Owner Loyalty discount and a $400 recent college grad discount, but only if I finance with Kia Finance.

Here's the January sales numbers from KIA.com:

Rio 2006: 1,993 2005: 2,261

It looks like the Rio generated a 12% drop in sales compared to a year ago.

Based on the amount of inventory at my dealer's lot, there's plenty of Rio's available now, sooooo........

Why the sales drop when there's a nice new model available. Hmmmmmmmm?

(Spinning roulette wheel sound fades in)

"Put my money down on the orange Rio5 please!"

"C'mon $11-12k....... c'mon $11-12k!"

:-)

-SM
    Well, you hit it on the head. They are nice little cars, but need a rebate infusion so they compare better price-wise with larger cars like the Spectra and Elantra. With the Fit, Yaris, and Versa coming in the next few months the picture won't get better for the Rio at its current price point. Also, the old Rio wasn't exactly known as a great car, so maybe not enough people know about the all-new Rio/Rio5.