Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rio

Comments

• b3nutb3nut Member Posts: 83
    Talk about a score! You can't sneeze at that...congrats! Just maintain her by the book, and she'll do your son right. I just took my Rio5 in for her first oil change today, passed the 3000 mark on the way home from Milwaukee yesterday. My first oil change was on the house, and my dealer took care of me lickety-split as usual. She's breaking in nicely and really doing well. I'm really enjoying the car. Congrats on the deal of the century, and here's to many fun miles! :D

Todd in Beerbratistan, turnin' into a Kia nut like iluv :D
  • riomikeriomike Member Posts: 39
    I must admit that I am a bit jealous of the deal you got. But then again I love my Rio5 so much that even if I had paid a couple thousand over invoice (which I surely didnt!)I would still feel so good about my car that I would not copmplain!

3400 miles and over all MPG average is at 27.8, over half highway driving w/ AC as usual. Have not had any problems at all and it seems to me as if the car is driving better and better each day!

Anyway congrats on the awesome deal, hope you and your son enjoy the Rio5 for many years to come!!
    she was just giving me a stiff ribbing, and I was being a little flip myself about the guy and his car thing. ;) She knows I love my car, though she doesn't get too worked up over her own. She did ask me to check hers when I got home, though, since I got ahold of my insurance agent. She wasn't being nasty at all, though...we both have a slightly sick and dark sense of humor. ;)

I still was bummed, but oh well, that's what insurance is for. It's just stuff in the end, nobody's dead.

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    I know that. I was just trying to be funny. I hope there was offense. You are right about that, I was bummed about my Caddy, but like you said that's what insurance is for.
  • hzmahzma Member Posts: 2
    Thanks!
    I was wondering... is there anything i should look out for when buying the kia, like are there certain tricks the sales people will try on me to bump up prices or such?
    This is my first hands on experience buying a car... any advice would be great!

Thanks everyone!!
  • yeddoyeddo Member Posts: 20
    GET IT IN WRITING!!! I'm going through crap with the dealer I bought mine from cause I was over anxious about buying the car. Make sure everything is spelled out clearly before you commit. I was told my car had antilock brakes. It didn't...and this was after I had point blank asked whether the brakes were front disc/rear drum. Don't trust any salesperson. I know there might be good, honest salespeople out there that would be offended, but it's your money so make sure they're giving you what they say they are.
    I understand your caution. When I was 18 and bought my first new car(1978 Plymouth Fury) I paid full sticker.:cry: Before any of you guys make fun of me I was young and very naive about buying new cars. As a kid I never went to the dealer with my dad when he bought a new car. I didn't know you DON'T pay that price on the window sticker.

Now I know the REAL reason the salesman bought me a steak and lobster dinner!!!!LOL

I have learned my lesson!
  • mwrobe1mwrobe1 Member Posts: 7
    Got a letter from Kia Motors America...I won't type out the whole thing verbatim...but this us the jist of it...

Kia Motors America is conducting a voluntary service campaign regarding the replacement of the radiator cap assembly on certain 2006 Rio models.

Kia has become aware that certain radiator caps installed on certain 2006 Rio models may not release at the proper pressure, resulting in a coolant leak at the upper or lower hoses.

FYI for fellow Rio owners
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    Although KIA advertises and Edmunds reviewed a Rio5 I cannot find anybody who has them.Are they to be released
    later in the USA? :confuse:
    I agree they don't seem to be very plentiful at any dealership (in Houston anyway) and I have only seen 1 or 2 on the road. At the beginning of the '06 model year, I was going to trade my '04 Cinco on a Rio5, but my Kia dealer (who is excellent)said they'd have some '06's in a couple of weeks. But only a few sedans and no Rio5's! Made me wonder if Kia is doing this on purpose? Maybe to push the Spectras which they oddly have plenty of '06's on hand? Even now they have no Rio5s. The dealer claims they are selling as fast as they get them in. If that's so then I'd like to know were they are! :confuse: I finally as of last week put in an order on a Rio5. No promise when I'd get it though! :(
    They are plentiful in South Florida. I have two and my grandfather 1 (all 06 Rio5's). We have about 7 or 8 Kia dealers within 25 miles radius and I pass most on a weekly basis and see plenty of Rio5's. In fact Phil Smith Kia in Pompano Beach has 3 in Sunset Orange and 1 Saphire Blue out front. Maybe you should fly out here and drive back with one!
    There must be over a dozen on the lot at Russ Darrow Kia in Madison, I was just there for an oil change on my Rio5 (right after picking it up from the body shop next door, they did a great job, it's like the hailstorm never happened!). They do seem to be moving quite a few Spectras, though.

I'm seeing more and more of the little Rios (both the 5 and the sedan) on the road around here, popular little car. I wonder why they're so thin at some dealers...

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I'm starting to see a few more '06 Rio's, but not a lot of them yet out on the roads of SE Idaho and western Wyoming, greater Yellowstone area.

My wife and I went to Yellowstone Park, The Grand Tetons and Jackson, WY, yesterday and I saw a 2006 Kia LX sedan in silver at a strip mall. I think it was in Jackson, WY, I don't recall which town along the way. But it looked awesome! I still am thinking about getting a Rio, we're just getting full usage out of our '01 Sportage 4x4 and still enjoying it so much it gives me ample time to study people's likes and dislikes about these new offerings.

BTW-Yellowstone is brimming with buffalo and deer and elk and plenty of bison babies grazing alongside their mommies! We got plenty of pictures. BTW, if you are the type that feels cheated if you dont get to see live bears and wolves inside the park, there's a place at West Yellowstone, MT, that you can pay a fee and go in and watch them in their natural-type habitat. We passed on it but both agreed it will be fun to come back and see later.

Yellowstone and the Tetons were stunning in their display of natural beauty. Old Faithful blew as planned and was fun to see. What a smart and wonderful idea it was to set aside this fantastic block of land for the first National Park in America. And we're only 150 miles from it!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Just got my oil change at King Auto Mall in Ft Lauderdale. They sell Kia, Suzuki, Dodge and Saturn. They had about half a dozen Rio LX's on the lot mostly silver. Not one had power package. As for the Rio 5 they had four, all manual no power package. The sales manager told me they have been selling two or three a week which is not so bad. Surprising thing is that they are selling twice as much Suzuki as Kia. On a national level the opposite is true.
    I'm so jealous...i love Yellowstone. Unlike you, I'm in Chicago so it's a little more than a day trip for me. Hmmmmm...but it IS a good chance to see how the Rio5 does on the road. You're giving me ideas.
    yeah, my wife and I bought the year pass for American National Parks so we can get in to some parks in Utah, too. The pass is $50. You can buy a day pass for just getting into Yellowstone for $40, IIRC.

It's awesome, the 2006 Kia Rio5 would make a great travel buggy for you to get here, too.

We're going to The Drive-By Truckers and The Black Crowes concert there at Jackson, WY, on August 10th. That's probably the next time we'll be coming over to the Yellowstone area. Jackson is about 140 miles from us here in Pocatello, ID. Yep, Chicago is a bit of a cruise but it'll be worth the trip! Enjoy your Rio5! ;)

• phainephaine Member Posts: 1
    The lease on my 2001 Chrysler Neon is going to expire soon and I am VERY interested in buying a 2006 Kia Rio. My question is, what are the advantages/disadvantages of buying a sedan over the hatchback or vice versa. Basically, I want a car to haul groceries and shopping. I am a girl in my twenties and I need a car that will hold lots of shopping :P In your opinion, is the cargo area of the hatchback bigger and therefore better or is the trunk of the sedan the way to go? I know it's 'personal preference' question, however, I really would love everyone's feedback. Thank you all in advance for your output.

Btw, I had a so so experience with the Neon. I really can't wait to return it to the dealer.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    obviously I don't agree with the average American who tends to think of hatches as low-rent. Go with the 5 door, you'll get a lot more flexibility (and in this case style)...
    Here are some advantages:
    1) With the seats down the hatch is very versatile, my wife and I bought a mini fridge and an area rug this weekend at lowes and moves them with a bunch of groceries in our hatch w/ the seats down.
    2) Hatch has leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter.
    3) Hatch has metal pedals metal trim and fog lights for a sportier look/feel.

but if you do go for the sedan you wont regret it, I have two friends with 2006 Rio sedans and they love them!

Anything beats a Neon, I had one a few years back as a second car and after many costly repairs I sold it at a huge loss. Well good luck with your new purchase (or lease).
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    here is a actual case that happened to me years ago. My TV needed replaced. I found the cheapest place to buy the TV i was looking at was a department store. I drove to the store in our 4 door sedan thinking I would put it in the back seat. I knew it would not fit in the trunk. I bought the TV and wheeled it to the parking lot. You guessed it. It would not fit thru the rear door opening. I had to call a friend to come and get my new TV and haul it home in his car which was a Corolla Hatch back. I have not bought a sedan since then. We use our hatchbacks all the time. I do not need a pick up truck at all. I would go for the hatch if you can afford it. Hatch backs cost more than the sedan.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    The Rio 5 door with hatchback is a beautiful vehicle. It is very capable of hauling bulky items with the seat down. But its more money. When I bought my ECHO sedan five years ago, I was a little disappointed a hatchback wasnt availible. However, since then I have found that there is nothing I couldnt get into that sedan that I wanted to move. (its a two door with humongous door openings and the rear seats fold down and access the trunk).
    Unless you know you are going to be moving a lot of bulky items I would go with the sedan if you are saving a few thousand by doing so. The Rio 5 is a great vehicle and Im sure you would put it to use sooner or later. :D
    I had an ECHO sedan (4 door). While I agree with kneisl1 that there was really nothing I couldn't get in there, I'd still rather have my Rio5. I'm a musician and the bass fiddle I carry around fits alot better in my Kia.
    The Rio sedan w/ power package sells for about $13,800 (dealer invoice), the Rio5 is only about $1000 more. Really what it comes down to I guess is styling, some people hate hatchebacks, I happen to love them especially my Rio5!!
    Are you saying you got a bass fiddle in your ECHO? Even if it was a four door?
    yep...AND an amp. Pulled the front passenger seat all the way forward, layed it back as much as possible and snuck that big sucker through the rear drivers side door with the scroll facing front. Fit beautifully. Still am glad I bought the hatchback though; its a whole lot nicer ride and I can see out of my side mirror. :)
    WOW! I did an exeperiment with my ECHO and removed the passanger seat and the rear seat cushion and seatbacks. Where the passanger seat was I made a raised platform even with the rear seat foundation. Then I made a bed out of the rear seatbacks. So if I had to I could live in my ECHO and camp out in it.
    I can understand why you like the Rio 5 though.
    that attracted me to the Rio5. I was looking for hatches, having had enough of notchback cars. I'm a musician too and have to shoehorn a complete keyboard rig AND guitar rig for gigs. I get it all in the back of the Rio5. :)

Todd in Beerbratistan
    Kia seems to have hit a vein with this Musicians with Rio 5s thing. I wonder if they will be able to exploit it?
    ..if it means making a buck, you know they'll exploit it!!
    but I'm not a musician. I do love rock and roll music, though, and I am currently going through live rock show withdrawals here in Pocatello, ID.

The Drive-By Truckers with The Black Crowes looks to be my next opportunity, August 10th at the Snow King Amphitheater in Jackson, WY. I can't wait!

So you guys might be on to something here, still! Rock on!

• carlovermdacarlovermda Member Posts: 6
    Just for you all curious as to the initial quality rankings for tested 2006 models, here the link is. 2006 JDPower IQS. 2006 Rio is highest rated B Class/Subcompact car initially.

2006 JDPower IQS
    Good news! I think more and more people are starting to notice Kia as their cars get better every year. I knew the Rio5 was a winner when it beat Yaris and Caliber (among others) in last months Car and Driver! Keep it up Kia Motors!
  • mwrobe1mwrobe1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm not a musician...but I own a '06 Kia Rio...and I did win a couple karoke contests when I was in college. Gotta count for something! :P
    Unfortunately the Car and Driver evaluation is pretty much meaningless. A simple understanding of how they value automobiles shows that. In spite of the improvements the Korean cars like the Rio do not get the mileage that cars from Honda and Toyota get. A very telling defect which indicates they are not quite ready for prime time (or my dollar) Toyota makes nothing like the very excellent body style of the Rio 5 however.
    Ill be inpressed with reliability stats when they show up in Consumer Reports. JD Power is just a beauty contest.
  • dakota29803dakota29803 Member Posts: 56
    I have always had problems with Consumer Reports opinions, but yesterday I was reading the car issue at the Doctor's office and noticed one model had tow average marks and all the rest were above average or higher. The overall rating was below average. How can that happen??? :confuse:
  • dchancodchanco Member Posts: 1
    well I BOUGHT a 2006 kia rio and let me tell you that the dealership was the worst I have EVER been to, the car is not all that they said it would be and I will NEVER buya kia anything EVER again. I have had nothing but problems with both the car AND the dealership (to include calling kia corporate headquarters, which was bad as well). The car stumbles almost every morning when I go to work, the engine struggles when going up small hills, the seats are as uncomfortable as all get when traveling more than a few miles and the gas is not as good as I was told it was going to be, maybe I went to a crappy dealership and got a crappy car but I will NEVER EVER buy a kia again. and I HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOCK KIA ALL I WANT TO INCLUDE THEIR CORPORATE OFFICE (which was as helpful as my asking my 10 yrold niece for help)!!
    Have you tried going to a different dealer? Some are excellent, others redefine the term "suck." There's not much corporate can really do if the dealer won't play ball, and they could be better at weeding out the bad dealerships. But there are a lot of good Kia dealerships out there, hunt around for a different one. Which dealership are you dealing with and where?

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    hello, 1st post here... :) i got questions...

1- i never saw a rio5 hatch in person yet..(i live in RURAL kansas... ;) ) and i am wondering about the size of it? i see scion xA pretty often and aveos, it is roughly the same size as these cars?

2- i read most of the post here and the rio doesn,t seem to get as good gas mileage as yaris, xA or aveo ( which isn,t mention often??) i am looking for at least 35 mpg, is it doable with the rio? i would drive mostly highway.

3- i am putting the rio on my list of future buy (in the fall i will get a new car) because of the warranty, is it worth it to buy this car versus a nissan versa (i am really interested in that nissan) because it has a better warranty?

4- is the sitting position pretty high? or is it like the 1990's honda civic where you sit on the road and you have to CLIMB OUT of the car???? :mad:

here is my list of cars, feel free to comment or give me some advice...i am getting a litte confused :confuse:
    1- rio5 hatch
    2-chevy aveo hatch
    3-nissan versa hatch
    4- toyota yaris hatch
    5-scion xA hatch

i drove a wrangler for a couple of years and recently sold my cherokee...it is A MAJOR change for me to even consider driving a small car...but i drove the aveo and the xB and the sitting position is high enough that it convince me to give them a try!!!
  • misriemisrie Member Posts: 4
    My rio sedan has been getting 38-39 miles per gallon highway. Im very pleased with that. After driving a wrangler for years i understand about the sitting low. The seats in the rio adjust so you can put them up or lower. Its not the same as a truck in anyway but it is a comfortable little car and the gas milage is great
    thanks for your reply!! nice to know you understand my point about wrangler...i had 31" tires on it too..was a rough ride but was my dream car!!! i could go on on about my jeeps but that is beside the subject here... ;)
    good to know about the gas mileage!that is my numebr 1 criteria at this point.
    how about the size? comparable to xA and aveo?? i have the brochure but it is hard to tell with a picture. don't get me wrong, i think it is a really nice looking car, i love the sunset orange btw!!! looks a bit like the pontiac vibe, which i like too but a few $$$ more than i can afford.
  • misriemisrie Member Posts: 4
    yeah I had 31's on my wrangler also. I also was my dream car but had to switch due to how much gas it cost me. I really don't know how it compares to the other cars. When i bought mine i was looking for gas milage, price and warrenty and interest rate. I didn't "like" any of the cars out there cause I LOVED MY JEEP. So it was just transportation. I have come to really like it. I am looking for an old jeep just to have to play with cause I need it! But if your looking for cheap reliable transportation I think the kia will be it. Best warrenty since id be out of most warrenties in the 1st yr. I get better gas milage then what they stated. And just think! when you need to replace the tires you can get all 4 for the price of 1 you would have spent!
    wranglers get about 14-15 mpg.....LOL!!!!! my cherokee was getting 20...not bad for a 4.0 / 6 cylinders :) but again not enough... and true for the tires too...the pontiac vibe which was my 1st pick for a long time, uses 16" tires and acording to my husband,( who is a mechanic ) they are a lot more $$$ than 14 and 15" and it should be consider when buying a car...
    thank you for your input on the kia...i will go to test drive a rio5 pretty soon and see if i like it !!!
  • lbeasmanlbeasman Member Posts: 10
    Whet to 1 of 2 KIA dealers around my city. They have a "dealer added" sticker on car of $2995. I questioned the salesman about what was added on. He replied that it was markup. He stated KIA MSRP includes no mark up. I think this guy is full of it.

Can anybody confirm this?? :confuse:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The guy is full of it... in multiple ways.

$2995 additional markup on the Rio5 is unbelievable, considering there are excellent competitors available for LESS money (MSRP) than the Rio5. For example, the Rabbit 3-door lists at only $16k including destination and 16" alloys and all the safety gear, and has much more power and is a far superior car IMO in all respects (except fuel economy) compared to the Rio5.
  • detrinodetrino Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was looking for information on the 2006 rio and found this site. I am seriously considering buying a 5 speed rio5 or sedan LX. Could you post what model you have and how much you paid? Thanks!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You may have noticed new discussions cropping up all over theplace. What's happening is that we're moving away from large, everythign in one pile types of discussions and towards smaller, more focused ones.

Here in the Kia Rio Group, you'll now see discussions like:
    New Kia Rio Owners - Give Us Your Report
    Kia Rio Test Drive - What Did You Think?
    Kia Rio: MPG-Real World Numbers
    Kia Rio Safety & Crash Test Results
    Kia Rio: A/C Problems & Questions
    Kia Rio: Prices Paid & Buying Experience
    Kia Rio: Lease Questions

I've been moving posts fromthis main discussion to populate some of the new ones. So before youpost, please check the discussionlist to find the appropriate discussion. If you have an issue that doesn't appear to have a discussion up and running, please feel free to create one, or contact me via email withthe suggestion. For example Kia Rio Brake Questions or Kia Rio Audio & Entertainment Questions haven't come up yet, but are likely to be created at some point.

It will take a little time to break old habits for all of us, but I'll be moving posts, posting reminders, and directing traffic as we make the transition. ;)

Thanks for you help and understanding as we slide the furniture around a bit!
  • gy563gy563 Member Posts: 44
    Here's some pictures about Rio Hybrid. Notice the huge difference between gas rio and hybride rio's speed meter.
    http://bbs.auto.naver.com/nboard/read.php?board_id=car_korea&nid=7852
  • sethstersethster Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else noticed that the Kia Rio has started to make some noise in the automotive market? I’ve been working with Kia lately and everyone has been talking about the JD Power award they recently won. It came a shock to me cuz I like Kia cars but its not something from them that I expected. However, it is cool to see a car company working hard on improving their cars and their image for real. Anyone know what I’m talking about and agree with me?
    It came a shock to me cuz I like Kia cars but its not something from them that I expected.

Why? Being an owner of 2 Rio Cincos ('02 & '04)I know their good cars so it didn't come as a shock to me.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Kia owners, come join us to talk about your cars!

"Talk with Len Hunt - Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Kia Motors of America about "Leapfrogging" in the areas of vehicle innovation. Get exclusive takes from an industry leader about Kia’s quality, safety, product development and globalization in the automotive marketplace."

Mark this on your calendars!

Kia Chat - Wed. Dec 6 - 6pm PST / 9pm EST

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/kiachat12062006.html