Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    They do have 06 Civics in the central Ohio market now. I did not get to sit in it but I did check out a couple LX and an EX from the outside.

It is LOW to the ground and appealing from the back. The hood seems wider than long which is wild. Very futuristinc looking by the terms of the old tall Civic. But I drive an Accord so it seemed a litte small. Looks like they hit their target market of an attractive entry level car at a good price point.
  • crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    Two years ago, I paid $15,400 for my 2003 Civic EX Sedan 5 speed, AND got 1.9% financing thru AHFC. I'd be willing to pay around 17k for a new Civic EX, but probably will have to wait a few months in order for demand to die down a bit.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    How much are 05 EX 5sp going these days now that 06 is only days away?
  • civicex05civicex05 Member Posts: 42
    How much are 05 EX 5sp going these days now that 06 is only days away?

I doubt you'll find any left. :(
  • carcrazy9carcrazy9 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I called Grappone Honda in Concord, New Hampshire and Autofair Honda in Manchester. They both received a delivery of 06 Civic's today. I don't know which models yet. They are not allowing anyone to test drive until the release date. I'm going to take a look tonight and I would be happy to share my first impressions if you like.
    Thanks
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    called both local dealers (outside Phila), and neither one has them on hand yet.

Someone needs to tell NH that the release date was bumped up, and there are already people that have them in their driveway.

But, the 15th is Thursday, so not too long to wait.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    " Next year people will be complaining that the new Corolla is too expensive and that they can get a Civic for less ".
    -------------------------------------------------

Actually, its Fall of 2007 when the new 2008 Corolla's come out. Next year should be the same as this 06 model

http://www.channel4.com/4car/future-models/2008-2.html">link title Scroll down to the Toyota Corolla future 08 blurb
  • carcrazy9carcrazy9 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I went to the local dealer and viewed the Sedan LX. It has not been through their shop yet (programmed) so I can't test drive it until tomorrow.

My initial impression is that it looks and feels like a luxury car, especially on the inside. It was so roomy inside, and I can really get comfortable from the telescopic, tilt steering wheel. The front hood is very snubby, but I don't mind that if I'm getting the published 40 mpg. The trunk is huge, low loading and you can push down the back seats.

The big difference between the LX and EX at this point, for me, are the features that I have on my current vehicle: audio controls on the wheel and a sunroof.

The brochure sucks. Other than that, I think its a beautiful car!
  • viva_unixviva_unix Member Posts: 14
    I just got back from my local dealer. They have gotten the Civics 2006. I saw only Sedans models. The navigation system will costs something more close to $2000 (maybe 1800). I got a test drive and looked for EX and LX models. I can tell that for me Honda did a lot of good job to redesign the car. The seats are comfortable, engine is fine for me (after my Chevrolet 1990... :) ) I would not say that the car is really roomy. Mostly it is because the front panel (digital speedometer, RPM etc) are much far then in others car. Some people might think that they sit in spaceship... :)

Seems that this car is going to be a popular buy for a few months.
    Bad:
    1. Price is still high and sale personal is not going to sell it below sticker price for now.
    2. Still disappointed that MT take more gas then AT.

Still think that I might buy Corolla'06 if the price is not going down really quick...
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Is...$1500 for the Sedan
    $1750 for the Coupe (because of XM radio)
  • obie2obie2 Member Posts: 20
    Am considering the '06 Civic. Seems very expensive to me. With the navigation system its well over $20,000. I have an '01 sedan ex and an '01 coupe ex. I am pleased with them but paid around $14,000. I paid $9,990 for a new '05 Corolla CE with a/c. In my opinion the Civic is superior to the Corolla. (of course CE vs EX is not the best comparison) But, is it really going to be worth the difference in price? Also, has anyone heard of any '06 Civics arriving in Los Angeles area yet?
  • viva_unixviva_unix Member Posts: 14
    I saw Civic EX 2006 with navigation system. The price for this model was over $21000... :)
    I am looking for LX model (no navigation since I know the price) and the price for LX (MT) was something around 16500+destination charge (for AT add $800). The total is a little over 17000 that is not bad, but I still wait for better deal or speak with Toyota to see what they give me.

Do not know anything about LA, I am from Ohio.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    Too bad.. hondas are getting uglier with each passing generation.
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    The Civic EX sedan is 19,610. Add 1500 for navigation, and you have 21,110.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    is a little steep for a Civic to me...

But I guess thats the joys of inflation. Even a Cobalt nowadays is nearing $20K. (then again, with GM's addictive employee discounts for everyone campaign, one can be had for $16-$17K)

The Accord LX is still just somewhere around $21K, right? And the Special Edition is in the $22 range I think...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It is a very well equipped 19,610, but I agree about that being high for a Civic. I remember the days of a Civic DX for $10,000. And that wasn't in the Reagan era! It was around 1990, I believe. I think the stigma of Civic still comes off as the 'bottom rung' kind of car. I disagree wtih that completely, but 20k for "the cheap Honda" is high.
    I wish you would. The more eyes and opinions, the more fun this forum is!
    They are not getting uglier in my opinion. they are just finally waking up in the exterior design studio. I dont think the older cars are ugly, just less daring in design.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Before you give up on the new Civic (the list price makes me groan too), keep in mind that Honda likes to "hide" its discounts and incentives. Out here, I bought at 2003 Civic Coupe and 2005 CR-V both with 10% off the MSRP AND a big overallowance on my trades. It's just part of Honda's psychology of marketing - they like to price aggressively, but then quietly fight to get and keep customers.

Do chose a dealer carefully though. Some of them are real jerks.
  • marvanomarvano Member Posts: 1
    I did test drive the sedan ex,and i think this car should not be more than 18,000.I am getting away from honda after 10 years of owing hondas. : :mad:
  • stupidfoolstupidfool Member Posts: 53
    just get an lx then it's close to 2g's less and only diff is sunroof and a speaker
    Yes, but that doesen't mean that every dealer has them. The official date is Thursday. all dealers should have them this weekend.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    We haven't received them yet (Vancouver BC Canada).

Seems like the west coast might be the last ones to get them. Thats' kinda odd though if they're coming from Japan.

The only 06s that are starting to arrive are the Odysseys.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    mus have shown up today. FOund 4 on the back lot, I think the regular allotment (LX 5 speed, and 2 EX/1LX AT.

Actually saw 3 of th e4 colors I like. The dark blue is nice, the atomic is too bright for me. Galaxy gray isn't what I expected, so I would like to see it cleaned up (these units were filthy, and still had some plastic on).

Oh, and in NJ, they were made in Japan.

Didin't get inside, but the interior looked nice, but I need to see the dash in action to tell for sure.

Outside styling was quite striking. You don't really get a feel for the proportions of the car until you see it in person. Plus, the front end looks nothing like an Ion in th emetal, other than a similar shape to the grill. Way different angles and shapes to the front sheetmetal.

Overall, I am still quite intriqued. Will have to go take a test drive tomorrow.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• yesrohyesroh Member Posts: 290
    I have a lot of issues with Honda. First of all, they had the 1992 Civic VX which was a normal 4-cylinder, 92 horsepower 1.5 liter which made 48mpg city, 55 highway. Why can't they take that engine, add an electric motor, and have a hybrid with excellent fuel economy? Their new hybrid is still nowhere near 55mpg highway! And then there's the trunk...10.6 cubic feet is pretty small and with a non-folding rear seat, it's pretty limited. I do a lot of cycling and I need to be able to put my bicycle back there.
    Another thing...what happened to the Civic HX coupe? It was 117 horsepower and got much better gas mileage than any of these new cars, save for the hybrid. But Honda never used that engine in a sedan, so you were limited, and they never offered it with ABS, which is why I never bought it. The 5-speed got 36/44mpg and the auto got 35/40mpg. Honda has all these wonderful engines but never truly utilizes them where they could be used most effectively. Maybe if they'd offered the more powerful 117hp HX engine in their sedans they would have sold more.
    One more question...what's with the Civic Si? It's slower than the Acura Integra and has worse gas mileage. Since when does an Acura Integra get better gas mileage than a Honda Civic while producing more horsepower and having better passenger and trunk space? The Civic is supposed to be the economy car, even in Si clothing. The Accord 4-door sedan will even get much better gas mileage than the 22/31 predicted for the new Si while hauling a few hundred more pounds of car and with a very small decrease in performance, and probably for a lower sticker price. I love the Civics but I have to ask myself these questions because something isn't adding up. I would expect the Civic Si to get at least as good gas mileage as the Acura RSX, or an Accord 4-door. Besides, if you want performance and economy, the Accord Hybrid 4-door sedan will blow away a Civic Si, while achieving 25% better fuel economy, putting out 30% more power, and in a practical family sedan. It's just very expensive to buy.
  • perinaraperinara Member Posts: 9
    I visited the Motorwerks Honda dealership in Barrington, Illinois today. They had 4 2006 Civics, 1 Ex with Nav, 2 Ex, and 1 Manual LX all made in Japan. I felt the car was smaller than I expected. The steering wheel feels like that of a game controller. It felt strange when the ignition is off to see no display of any kind. I did not get to test drive since they were not ready. Dealership did not have any printed material on 2006 Civics. The Sales person knew next to nothing on these.

After checking the interior on an EX, I get the feeling Honda is trying to charge too much for these cars. 2005 Honda Accords are much better value then these.
  • filmnewsfilmnews Member Posts: 18
    You get side curtain air bags, but no radio or air. This is BS. I would rather have air then side curtain air bags any day. Who ever thought of this is stupid. Also, they could not add a hundred dollars to the cars price for a Am/FM radio. The DX will not sell. I think this is Honda's way to fade the DX out.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    If you can get the A/C installed at a big discount off the very high list price, then it's not bad. Plenty of people want to install their own stereo without having to pay for a factory stereo they will dump after they drive off the lot. The dealer can install a Honda radio in a DX or you can go to a stereo shop and pick one out there. Lack of factory radio is not some major crisis.
    Most people are going to want an LX and the stuff that comes with an LX like cruise control, power windows and locks etc., so I'm sure they don't expect to sell that many DXs.
  • filmnewsfilmnews Member Posts: 18
    Why keep the Honda Civic DX? THe car has automatic windows but has manual door locks. The car has side curtain air bags, but no AC. They should just take the DX off the market. The should call the LX, just a plain civic base. Then, the EX would probably mean more. Also, who would by an EX when ypu can get a Si for $500 more. The price from a LX to a EX is close $2000. The SI is a lot better car for $500 more.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    filmnews,

You wrote who would by an EX when ypu (sic) can get a Si for $500 more. Simple... the vast majority of Civic buyers who want four doors, better mileage, and don't want to pay the price penalty for premium fuel..
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Would love to see a 4-door HX (manual tranny). That would be my favorite Civic. I think Honda feels if they make it too good it will take a way higher profit hybrid sales.
  • morphousmorphous Member Posts: 3
    Have they improved the security on these cars. My neighbor's car got stolen twice, right infront of our townhouse. Thanks

Morphous
  • dmundy1dmundy1 Member Posts: 37
    The new Civic is not due in Canada until early October.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    You wrote who would by an EX when ypu (sic) can get a Si for $500 more. Simple... the vast majority of Civic buyers who want four doors, better mileage, and don't want to pay the price penalty for premium fuel..

A few more reasons - insurance on the SI is about 40% higher than the rest of the Civic line; some peolpe don't like a spoiler on the rear deck , nor the stiffer supsension.

But a big reason is those who only want an automatic transmission, which was about 60% of Civics buyers last year, can't get one on the Si.

The EX and Si are designed for different audiences - poeple will not generally cross-shop the two.
    just get an lx then it's close to 2g's less and only diff is sunroof and a speaker

Not quite - the EX also adds 4 wheel disc brakes, alloy wheels, remote trunk release, variable speed wipers, console lighting and chrome exahust. That extra speaker also comes with a 350 watt stereo, vs. 160 watts in the LX. The interior fabric is a higher quality in the EX as well. And if you want NAV, (or want to add it later), the EX and Si are the only ones wired for it.
  • jeezlaweezjeezlaweez Member Posts: 1
    I think Honda has overpriced the Civic. I'm sure that some people will pay the high prices at first just to be the first to have one. But remember, it is still a Civic with ONLY 140 HP. We had (and just sold) a 2000 Civic EX. It was a decent car but miserably underpowered -127HP but felt like 100, and was a complete drag to drive. I hate to say this because I am the biggest Honda fan out there. We have a garage full of Hondas right now (2 cars- 2004 Honda Element and 1996 Prelude si , a motocross bike, lawnmower and weed-eater) The new Civic EX is only getting a 13HP gain. I haven't driven one yet, but I'll venture to say that it still won't have a lot of oomph. I realize that a typical Civic EX owner is not really looking for a lot of juice under the hood which will obviously sacrifice MPG but some of the older Hondas didn't have a lot of power but were a real treat to drive. I had a 1985 Honda Prelude which was a blast. I think it had 115 HP. A 1991 honda CRX si at 108 HP which was awesome, and I got rid of the 2000 Honda CivicEX for a 1996 Honda Prelude Si which is a dream to drive. I test drove a 2005 Civic Ex and a 2005 Honda Accord LX but was disappointed in both. They just were NO FUN to drive at all so I went with an older car that is a blast and cost half of a new one.
    I was giving some serious thought to a new Civic Si which has 197HP but after seeing the price of the EX's however, I beleive that it will be priced somewhere around $22,000 or so. WAY TOO MUCH! Hondas in my opinion are the best in the world, but if they keep pricing their rigs this way, it might become economical to buy a more sporty, fun, roomy- (whatever you're looking for) competitors brand.
    I certainly hope that they prove me wrong.
    i could've swore than the lx and ex braking were the same on the comparison chart, so the lx only has 2 wheel disc brakes?
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    If Honda was to put those HX engines into a sedan with ABS and all the toys then it wouldn't get the same mileage because the car would be much heavier.

Same reason you wouldn't get that kind of mileage if you were to put that engine into a current or 06 generation Civic because these cars are much heavier due to a lot of the safety regulations in place today. They weigh more due to the frames and structures, and due to all the safety features like airbags, abs, more sound insulation, larger overall sizes etc.

That's why the honda Fit will fill that void of a light weight yet fuel efficient and safe sub compact, something the Civic used to be.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

i could've swore than the lx and ex braking were the same on the comparison chart, so the lx only has 2 wheel disc brakes?

Yep, front discs and rear drums on the DX/LX, discs all around on the EX/Si.
  • butronbutron Member Posts: 1
    Like others I am dissapointed the standard has lower mpg in highway than the automatic. Can anybody explain exactly why? I don't mean speculation about rpm in 5th, but real facts. Thanks.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    There is no other logical explanation - it has to be that the automatic in 5th is at lower RPM's. If they were the same the manual would have at least an equal mileage rating, and it should be slightly better. Even as it is I question if owners would notice any difference in real world, combined city/highway driving. If I wanted a manual I certainly wouldn't let this sway my decision.
  • aquaticexploreaquaticexplore Member Posts: 89
    coupe looks stylish, sedan still seems pretty sedate. How does price compare to the mazda 3?
  • drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    "Not quite - the EX also adds 4 wheel disc brakes, alloy wheels, remote trunk release, variable speed wipers, console lighting and chrome exahust. That extra speaker also comes with a 350 watt stereo, vs. 160 watts in the LX. The interior fabric is a higher quality in the EX as well. And if you want NAV, (or want to add it later), the EX and Si are the only ones wired for it."

You forgot to mention audio controls on the stering wheel, an auxiliary jack for the stereo, 60/40 split rear bench, and other goodies. However, the 350w stereo is in the coupe, not the sedan.
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    I was hoping to get an '06 Civic EX Coupe with auto and Navi for a little over $20k. It seems like it will be more like $22-$23k. Granted this will be the top end Civic, but it still seems a little high to me. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to buy my local dealer will deal a bit. Last time I was there I test drove a 2004 EX auto sedan, which was nice, but they wanted MSRP even though it was May '04.

Maybe I should try internet sales this time, or look for another dealership. $23K is getting close to RSX territory. I can get a similarly equipped Mazda 3, sacrificing 9 hwy mpg for 20 hp and more torque for about $1000 less than the EX. I would rather have the Civic, but I won't pay $23k for a Civic. Maybe the Fit will be out by the time I am finally ready to buy.
    jeezlaweez,

The 2006 Civics are "only 140 HP" because all brands of cars now have to calculate horsepower using the more stringent August 2004 federal regulations. If your old car had its horsepower recalculated to today's standard, the figure would be much lower too.

I can't help but believe that your 2000 Civic EX had some sort of problem that as you wrote, made it feel "miserably underpowered". Perhaps the brakes were dragging slightly. Perhaps there was a fuel or electrical problem that went undiagnosed.
    claudius,

The MSRP of the "'06 Civic EX Coupe with auto and Navi" is about $21,110. I read the sticker on one yesterday but don't recall the exact figure.
    what's the diff of discs and drums? also can the lx be upgraded to have discs?
    I can name a number of reasons I'd rather buy a Civic Ex than pay $500 more for an Si. First of all, the $500 extra dollars I'd have to spend (plus tax). Second, the Si is only in coupe form. Many people would not want a 2-door. I have an Accord Coupe and it's a fantastic car but if I had a spouse or a kid I'd definitely want the 4-door. It's much roomier and practical. The gas mileage on the Si is pretty bad for a Civic. In fact, now that I think of it, it's the worst gas mileage I can ever recall. On an average 15,000 mile year, with gas prices at $2.50 a gallon, you'd spend about $29 more per month to fuel the Si...unless prices go up again. For $29 a month you could buy a lot more car. Other reasons...comfort. The Si is a sports car. It's designed to ride harder and have a sporty engine sound. Another huge reason is lack of available automatic transmission. "Better" is in the eye of the beholder. Performance is great but most of the time when you drive you are at a constant speed, or stop/start in the city and that's where fuel economy, comfort, and practicality, not speed, pay off. Besides, I'd think the EX, with a 5-speed auto and 140 horses would be pretty capable. I figure if I'm going to pay over $21,000 for a Civic I'd rather just get an Accord. The 4-cylinder is pretty close to the Civic in performance but with a lot of room and better gas mileage. Or, I could go up another $1000 from the Civic Si and get an Accord V6 and dust the Civic.
    The Civic Si isn't necessarily better, but it's different.
    I can think of a good reason the DX might sell. Cheap speed. It's 108 pounds lighter than the EX (coupe w/5-speed manual). You could spent a few hundred more and get alloy wheels and knock off another 40 pounds. If you want a really nice car to get from point A to point B, are not too interested in any luxury, and to be able to take on the Civic Ex and beat it, then I'd get the DX.
    But you are right...from a practical point of view. I can't see a big market for a stripped down Civic.
This discussion has been closed.