Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,545
    MSRP for an EX Navi AT is $21,110, so looks like you are getting $1,100 off sticker. SO, in the context of current activity, to me it looks like you are getting a good deal.

as to the other points, they will be shipping lots of Civics soon. IMO, it won't take long for discounting to become normal, especially since the Civic is on the high side price wise for the class (not that it isn't worth it though). Honda wants to sell a lot of these babies, so they will be keeping the pipeline to the dealers full.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• poopoo_headpoopoo_head Member Posts: 22
    thanks for all the help about quietness. i agree with yesroh, that quietness only matters to me for highway trips. at 75mph or so, the noise drains my energy away after a few hours, so i wonder what the civic sounds like at that speed since i haven't really read anything on sound levels on the highway. sorry for talking this topic to death, but it's important for me if i'm going to plunk down so much money every month...

however, the focus weighs about as much as the 05 civic (maybe 100 lbs more?) but rides much more nicely with long travel suspension. i think maybe the stiffer ride of the civic is due to shorter travel suspension and tuned for 'euro feel'. steering-feel/quality wise, the 05 civic was way behind focus, though.

yeah, the camry's a boat when it comes to fun to drive, but the quiet sure is nice when all you want to do is get somewhere. i like fun to drive cars, too, and imho, the mazda 3 and focus were more fun to drive than the 05 civic, and somehow focus was better riding, too. too bad about the reliability. (hehe, always something missing, isn't there?)

looks like civic is best pkg so far

grr...canada always behind usa in release dates. :(
  • yesrohyesroh Member Posts: 290
    Maybe some day a light, cheap active suspension will be available? I think the old Lincoln Mark 7's had them.
    Since we're talking about 'it's always something' I had to mention a small annoyance on my Accord Coupe. I think the styling is great and the windshield is very flat...in fact, it's so flat I feel like I'm sticking my face into it. I never thought this would bother me but from a driver's perspective, a more upright windshield, for me, feels better. I drove the 4-door Accord with a more upright windshield and I liked the feel better. I hope the new Civics with their flat windshields have pushed the windshield forward instead of pushing it back into the driver's face.

...it's always something!
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I don't know if you guys have seen these pictures already, but they're worth a look anyway.

I'm not too fond of the Civic's new styling. The rear taillights ae ugly, and the dashboard layout is really strange.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/HondaCivic/Photos.htm
  • stupidfoolstupidfool Member Posts: 53
    been calling all dealerships they keep saying tommorow does anyone know for sure?
  • dabadooo2udabadooo2u Member Posts: 1
    Where did you find the MSRP for the '06's? I've looked everywhere? Any invoices been seen out there?
    hey, thx for the pictures, navigator89, those are the 'real life' shots that i need to see. i think that is one nice looking vehicle, inside and out.

oh, yeah, seeing those pictures reminds me why it's civic over accord for me: i don't like high dashboards like in the accord/mazda3. i prefer low dash (a la celica/NSX) so that i can pretend to be f1/race car driver, lol.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,545
    Well, on the sticker for one! Actually, TOV has them all posted. Someone did post invoice also at one point, but not sure if it was accurate. IIRC, invocice on an EX 5 speed (sticker 18.8K) was about 17.2K.

Also, the interior and exterior look much better in person IMHO. Oictures don't really do it justice.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    E-mailed my nearest Honda Internet sales department. Told them I would never pay MSRP, and would like them to get back with a price on a Hybrid or LX Civic...... Never received a response. That figures :confuse:
    They're too busy handling all the monkeys who WILL pay MSRP. Give them time...the flood of cash will drop and they'll need a buyer. I bet if you call them when the new Corolla comes out next year you'll get more attention. Try that tact.
  • civic4civic4 Member Posts: 33
    I think the car is very nice, it addresses some major concerns the previous car did not. Anti lock brakes, side as well as front airbags standard throught the line up, and a one touch sunroof button for tilt and slide for the sunroof standard on the EX. I think Honda is trying to take the Civic upscale a notch, with the styling and pricing, the car is looking less like an economy car and more like a European sedan, all that is missing is the xenons, leather and heated seat options.

I am not saying this is a bad thing, but pricing for the Civic line up seems to have climbed above the $20,000 mark with dealers not interested in negotiating prices much. I believe this is not a reasonable area for a car that is supposed to appeal to entry level buyers. Why not then look at the Accord for tht matter? You trade a bit in mileage numbers but gain more in comfort and the ability to negotiate a better price, probably in the same range of the new Civic.

I have a 2004 civic coupe EX automatic with side airbags. I paid $16,300 for this vehicle brand new, including destination obviously without tax and registration. My dealer also extends the factory warranty covering the car to to 48 months on any new car purchased from them no charge. Don't expect this from every dealer, I actually traveled further for this because dealers closer would not match the warrranty extention , I do not see a huge difference in technology from my '04 to the '06, sure a bit more horsepower, but how much does that really knock off the 0-60 time? I truly believe this is the perfect time to pick up the leftover '05's at bargain prices. Sure, everyone wants the new sheetmetal, and those willing to pay the price for the new Civic will get more heads turning in trafic and more inquiries at the pumps about their new Civic. As for me, I'll keep my '04 Civic EX Coupe which averages 38 to 40 highway and 28 to 31 city for a few more years, then MAYBE consider looking at the "new" Civic. That will be the time you will see better ability to negotiate a sweet deal on a nice car that you will spend a few more years with until the next major redesign. Good luck in all your decisions.
  • leadfoot_edleadfoot_ed Member Posts: 22
    I think I understand Honda's strategy in moving the Civic upscale. It's widely believed that Honda will soon bring over a sub-Civic model to compete with Scion. With a new model taking over the "entry-level" position from the Civic, that gives it a little wiggle room to move up the food chain a little. Personally, I don't find $21k for an EX with Nav that offensive. A lot of us are looking for an economical commuter with the amenities and comfort of a larger car, but without the size and weight (and consequently, fuel economy) penalty. I think the new Civic fits that to a T. At least that's what I see.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    the left over 2005s are obviously the best deal...

BUT....
    Most dealers are sold out of them, having sold them at large discounts during the "2005 Honda Clearance" (they're out of all 2005s, save for 2-3 Accords, 1 Value Package and 2 LXs)
    Update to my e-mail request on MSRP from the Honda internet site.... Stated, they would give me the EX automatic 06 model, $200 over invoice or $1,200 over invoice on a hybrid... Unknown if this is a bate or not... Will check into it Thursday
  • rahooorahooo Member Posts: 16
    heck, forget next year! call them next week or so and youll get a much better deal..these civics are gonna start rolling in by the dozens at dealers, sooner rather than later theyll have more than they want and theyll start discounting them..just give it 2-3 weeks
  • rahooorahooo Member Posts: 16
    what dealer told you $200 over invoice for a '06 EX (what town too)? anyone had any inquiries around Chicago on an '06 civic? if so let me know, thanks
    Just remember that the only thing you can do which is irrevocable is buy the car. Then you're stuck. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you haven't bought the car, you have the dealer working for you. They want to sell you something and they want you to buy it as much as you want to buy it. Don't agree to anything you don't want to agree to. There are always more Civics if they don't give you the price you want on a particular one. The ball is in your court until you buy.
  • walshwarrior2walshwarrior2 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone in here know what the price is going to be on the 06 Si?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Towards the bottom of the page opened by this link, you can find a tire size calculator which will show you the speedometer error resulting from upsizing your tire. I don't think you will significantly lower your RPM, but you will throw off your speedometer and odometer a lot and may well run into clearance issues.

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html
  • kurchiankurchian Member Posts: 6
    Other than the obvious styling differences, how does the 2006 differ from the 2005? Any improvements in technology?
  • pptigerpptiger Member Posts: 4
    Exactly. I am considering the choice between '05 Accord LX and 06' Civic LX. Just received an email from a dealer saying that he can sell me a '05 Accord LX automatic for 18,200 + TTL. But, man, I just love '06 Civic and the fuel efficiency looks so good. I guess if I buy the Accord now, I will be looking at other's Civic all the time. :)
    what dealer told you $200 over invoice for a '06 EX (what town too)? anyone had any inquiries around Chicago on an '06 civic? if so let me know, thanks

Palm Harbor Honda in Palm Harbor Florida..... Another, dealership, told me from Clearwater Honda Internet sales that they will be selling at MSRP, and not like the other dealerships price, which he said was just talk... I tend to believe him, that the price just $200 above was a bait and not real. I was also told that the Civic's will not come out until October, which seemed very long considering others have them already. Don't know who to believe now. Wish these dealerships would get their act together and have good information....
  • byuguybyuguy Member Posts: 5
    After a lot of googling, I found this list of sticker prices at Consumer Guide Automotive. No invoice prices, though. And no sticker price for the Si.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/New/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38695/Act/Prices/

Yesterday I drove to a distant Honda dealership that had the first two '06 Civics to arrive within 100 miles. When I got there, the car I drove already had 40 miles on it from just one day of test driving.

After my test drive, I drove home and passed by my local Honda dealer, which had yet to receive an '06 Civic when I began my trip. As I drove by, a truck was parked in front delivering two '06 Civics. I stopped by that dealer today to test drive an LX manual instead of an automatic. The sales guy told me they're holding out for sticker on these first two or three vehicles, but they're getting in 10 more next week. And this is a small dealership. The sales guy at the first dealership, also rather small, said he expects prices will drop within a couple of weeks. He also said these first few models are being imported from Japan, but models from U.S. plants should hit the showroom floors in a couple of weeks. That should increase supply considerably.

Honda sells 300,000 Civics every year, so I'm going to wait a bit. I think die hards will buy up the first batch of Civics at sticker price, but more cost-conscious shoppers are going to look hard at an '05 Civic or Corolla on clearance before they'll pay sticker for a Civic. At sticker prices, the Civics are within spitting distance of the discounted price any dealer will accept for an Accord or Camry. I'll be astounded if demand for Civics equals supply at that sticker price. I'm confident dealerships will have to negotiate a little, and I think prices will drop fairly soon if even a small dealership can get its hands on 10 vehicles the second week they're available.

By contrast, there are waiting lists for a Toyota Prius, but Toyota is only producing 50,000 this year. There will be six times as many '06 Civics produced. For those chasing mileage, the sticker price of the high end Civics makes hybrids look a lot more attractive, further discounting the value of a high-end Civic, particularly in places where a Prius or Civic Hybrid can use an HOV lane with only one person in the car.

I found one dealer that is selling the '06 Civic $500 below sticker. Problem is, it's clear across the country from me in Connecticut. But if you know a dealer that will match or beat any advertised price, this might be worth $500 to you.

http://www.manhonda.com/new/index.cfm?pg=0&selId=107
    There is no maintenance manual for the '06 Civics. An on-board computer tracks all of the maintenance for you and reminds you, for example, when it's time to change the oil.

Recommended oil changes are 5,000 - 10,000 miles. The car automatically tests the oil viscosity and tells you when the oil is too thin and needs to be changed. No more need for window stickers to remind you when to change the oil.

No more timing belt. The Civic has a timing chain, now. Should last a long, long, time.

Car is supposed to go 110,000 miles before needing a tune-up.

There are two radiator fans.

Windshield wipers are heavy duty. Should move a few inches of snow without any trouble.

Auto trans is rated higher gas mileage than the manual. Auto 30/40. Manual 30/38.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    option #3.
  • bodhi1bodhi1 Member Posts: 1
    I just returned from a test drive on the '06 Civic Sedan - wonderful car, a bit soft. I have already agreed, with a $1000 down, that I will pay for an EX special order coming in on Saturday. I am getting an EX with the navigational system and a free Bra/Lock Lugs, and discounted Cover all for $21,050. The dealership included registration fees with the price. Don't have buyers remorse at the moment, but may if anyone else is getting them for less. I showed the internet price from CT (not including Nav system), and I think he gave me his best price. Thoughts?
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    My dealer has prices posted for 06 sedans. All prices include dest. plus a $50.00 prossesing fee.

http://www.markroberts.com/
    Thank you! Prices coming down already.
  • drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    Honda has just updated their website. The 05 Civic sedan section has been replace with the 06.

[EDIT] Actually, I guess I caught them testing the page. The main Honda cars page has gone mometarily gone back to the 05 link. But I still have the 06 page open. I'll see if I can post some links. Keep in mind, It looks like they are still loading some material, so not all pics or links work yet.
    06 civic test link

[EDIT #2] Nevermind, main page has gone back to 06 link. If it doesn't work for you, keep trying.
    The new front under spoiler makes the sedan look mean. Too bad my wife will never go for it. Why do we have to share cars?
  • rms41rms41 Member Posts: 80
    A dealer in Barrington, IL gave me a written quote of "not to exceed MSRP minus $500". I got this quote a few days before the prices were known. It is for an EX Coupe with automatic.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    Fowler Honda in Norman, OK is already $100 lower than Roberts on an '06 sedan. The prices are not on the web site, but the internet sales manager sent me a quote - and it was lower. Doc fee was $99, but still lower total. Nice to see not a lot of gouging going on.

I also asked for a quote on an '06 CR-V - and they were $210 lower than what I saw on Roberts.
  • playplay Member Posts: 38
    Whether the Prius is certifiably ugly or not, its look is widely recognized to be part of its appeal--many people driving them like making a statement about ecology, use of natural resources, etc.

I've also heard that this phenomenon worked against Honda--they went out of their way to make the Civic and Accord hybrids look like the "regular" versions, which cost them some sales with the more activist-minded consumers.

Yeah, your right, I heard.....seen the same thing. It reminds me of the original Beetle and Tiny Tim.

Actually thats a slam on the original Beatle.
  • playplay Member Posts: 38
    Towards the bottom of the page opened by this link, you can find a tire size calculator which will show you the speedometer error resulting from upsizing your tire. I don't think you will significantly lower your RPM, but you will throw off your speedometer and odometer a lot and may well run into clearance issues.

micweb, thank you for that link. I was aware of the speedometer error consequence. I didn't think the +/- 5% tire circumference increase would effect clearance if tire width remained the same. I suppose it could also marginally affect handling. But from a pure MPG standpoint, wouldn't you be achieveing the same with the manual as the automatic at that point?

That is what I keep pondering.
    The coupe is up now too.
  • disappoiteddisappoited Member Posts: 13
    SITTING IN THE SEDAN YOU CAN'T SEE WHERE THE FRONT OF THE CAR IS. YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THE HOOD TO GET AN IDEA WHERE FRONT IS. HAS ANYBODY SIT IN THE COUPE AND IS IT THE SAME.
    gearjammer62

We bought our 05 ex accord sedan from mark roberts. They did knock another $300 off of the posted price.

I wish the toyota dealers wherent thugs in Tulsa. I really hate to hear about folks paying msrp.
    Our 05 Accord is like that. We dont need to see the hood and front end to know where the car is.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Honda and Toyota have had sloped hoods for decades.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    This is a problem on virtually every car today (except maybe the Ford Crown Vic!).

Good article today in the WSJ (repeated in my local paper) about why Honda went with more streamlined styling for '06. The Civic used to be low and wide, and it was a huge success, with sales for the Civic peaking in '98. Then the sales slide began, with sales off 8% since then. Honda decided they must return to the "low and wide" design for '06, resulting in a much lower and wider car compared to '05--too wide to be considered a "small" car in Japan. They are trying to create something distinctive in the class, and I think they succeeded.
    My eye would notice a 5% difference in tire circumference, I think, unless...think about this...get wider tires at the same percentage series...for example, put a 216/60/16 on instead of a 205/60/16. Of course, then your wider tire would have more drag. I don't know about that...I ran wider tires on my Accord and if anything, my gas mileage went up. They were also slightly lower profile too. I think it's just splitting hairs...the car was built to perform on a certain size tire so you might notice squishier handling.
    My ex wife used to have a 1995 Integra with 195/55/15 tires. One day she got new tires...195/60/15. I drove over for dinner and the new tires caught my eye immediately...I asked her if she got the same size tire. That was just a 3.7% difference and it took me no time to notice it. If you drive your car and love it, you'll look at it a lot and you'll notice every change.
    Power is up by about 18%. That should help a lot because the old ones were very slow compared to the Insight and Prius.
    Low and wide look great but don't feel so great when you sit in them. I mean, they can be comfortable but I think the taller car will always be more comfortable, all other things being the same.
    I thought the taller cars were a way to make more room without making a larger footprint on the road, and also, I thought they were an answer to the SUV's which many people buy because they like to sit high (and use a lot more gas to push air). I don't mind taller cars so much but I also think you can make a car wider without affecting its footprint so much. If you round off the front corners you won't increase the turn radius that much.
    The old CRX Si was about seven inches lower than the '05 Civic. That's a huge difference.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, making cars taller is a way to increase interior room without increasing the car's length. So I was surprised that there was so much usable space for four passengers in the new Civic. I was actually more comfortable in the back seat than in cars that are taller. There is a surprising amount of leg room, and even head room, back there. I am 5'10" and my head didn't brush the headliner like it does on many small cars. Some people may not like the lower seating position, but I think some do (think Jaguar for example). I give Honda credit for stepping away from the current norm in small cars. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's OK. There are many bland-mobiles to choose from.
    i guess because of official 9/15 launch, i was expecting some 'official' road tests to pop up on the net today. so far i haven't seen any, except for the WSJ one referred to above...but i don't subscribe to that in canada...where are the new road tests??
    now i know why the EX is quieter- thicker carpeting and additional hood insulator after i visited canadian dealer last night...but is it softer riding, too since the rear disc might call for different suspension calibrations?
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    excellent point. honda has chosen form over function and that's a shame, in my book. the more space you can cram into a small package the better the car. making it wider helps some but the biggest losses will be in leg room and especially head room. the sloped windshield does not lend itself to a 'kichen chair" seating position: very easy to get in and out of the car and the seat. the 06 does have a cab forward design and that's a big help with space utilization, but alot of the advantages were lost with the extreme rake to the windshield.
  • evpedevped Member Posts: 39
    I can't find a sunglasses holder in the interior. Did I miss it?
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Here's a few pictures I found of the new Civic sedan.

I've decided that I don't like this car, at least from the pictures. The interior design is very unconventional, and the rear taillights are really ugly. The outgoing Civic may have looked plain, but even that was more handsome than this new model. I'd say my pick in this segment remains the Mazda3, at least until the Dodge Caliber comes out.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/HondaCivic/Photos.htm
This discussion has been closed.