Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• playplay Member Posts: 38
    #1993 of 2012 Re: My new Atomic Blue 2006 LX [gabagooo1] by yesroh Sep 22, 2005 (10:17 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: gabagooo1 (Sep 22, 2005 10:10 pm)

I've been told a lot of things by the dealers which weren't really true. I thought we had decided that the top gear was taller on the auto and that's why the mileage was better. This makes the most sense because I've seen taller gearing in economy cars to get great fuel economy.
    Maybe he meant the new computer for the auto improved shifting and allowed a higher gear because shifting was so precise. I'd be curious to see what the other dealers say.

This is all very weird. And getting weirder by the minute. The argument that all of a sudden the sticks got worse mileage than automatics due to a manufacturer response to a plague of hwy "inshiftability' by people who bought sticks in the first place, has never been driven home in a convincing way. :confuse:

Now the new 2006Lexus IS250 automatic has an EPA rating of 24/32 and the 6-speed stick has 20/29. (Must be one heck of a grade out on the hwy that they are preparing their manual drivers for) :confuse:
    If it isn't, you can always buy it later. I would try to squeeze in Honda floor mats. None of my cars came with them and they are probably $100 or more these days. Anyone else on this? The Honda floor mats just look nicer than the Walmart mats. You might be able to get them in the deal.

Maybe you shouldn't buy either. They are dead weight and the "good"ones weigh even more. I know in my TSX I took out the rears and I'm considering whether its worth dragging those front mats around for the life of the car. It's a small but not irrelevant matter.
  • gabagooo1gabagooo1 Member Posts: 5
    The information regarding location of manufacture was on the window sticker. I read on another Civic web board that only the first batch of cars was built in Japan. Later shipments will be built in the USA and Canda.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    drexelnet,

If you are paying cash for your car then don't tell them that UNTIL you have agreed on the price. Their gonna ask you things like....do you have a trade? How much do you want your payments to be? Are you going to finance? When are you looking to buy? Bottom line...what you tell them is real simple....just tell them that all you are going to discuss is the price of the car...period! Always remember, you are the customer...you are always right! IF they want your business they will understand that! Be firm in your talks with them...that doesn't mean that you have to be nasty...you can be straight to the point and be civil about it. # 1 thing in my mind is do your research BEFORE you step foot on the lot...be an informed buyer...trust me in the end it will be well worth it. Edmunds is just packed with all the info you need...look over this entire webpage...not just this forum...look up everything there is to know about the new Civic...and when you are done, and you go to the lot you will be amazed...knowledge is power! In fact, if I was a bettin' man I would say that if you do your homework then you will know more than the salesman will! When I go to the lot I always test my salesman just to see how much they know...if they don't know about the product they are trying to sell you then there is something wrong...i.e. case in point...one salesman was telling me that the new Civic had 166 hp...I said are you sure? He said yes...I then burst his bubble and said you are confusing the Accord 4 cyl with the Civic...
    Remember the game is not over UNTIL after you leave the finance office...that is where you are going to be offered all that bs that you don't need...i.e. paint protection, fabric protection, extended warranty, etc...I have owned Honda products since 1984 and have never needed and extended warranty....IF you do decide to purchase one make sure you read the fine print on what is actually covered...you may be surprised...IMO you do not need the extended warranty...and even if you change your mind you can always walk onto any Honda dealer and purchase one later...
    Add ons are where the dealer makes his money....floor mats come standard with the Civic...not the all weather type...just the carpet type...the flaps, pin stripe, wheel locks are always way over priced...in fact...just look at the msrp sticker and haggle from there...that little sticker the dealer puts next to it with all the add on prices...ignore it, period...it's bs!
    Good luck in your buying experience...remember that the internet person will appear to be good through emails....but in the end they are salesman just like the rest...and don't believe the internet person when they say internet pricing is fixed!
    Bologna! nothing is set in stone...and if you still are not comfortable with going to the dealer by yourself...take someone who has been through this process before...it will help big time....
    Be firm! Knowledge is power! Be willing to walk if you don't get your deal!
    Your the customer, your always right!
    Good luck...let us know how you do!!
  • stupidfoolstupidfool Member Posts: 53
    just wanted to compliment you guys on the info...... question

all my dealers are selling out before they get the civics and my mom wants to test drive 1 b4 she buys 1 , salesman calls me yesterday and tells me that their getting the exact car we want ( civic coupe lx atomic blue ) this coming tuesday, says he doesn't know if it'll be reserved/sold by the time it gets here and would like for us to put some money down, to make sure "we're serious about buying" and said it was around 500 dollars, what do you think we should do? oh and i've been in contact with around 5 dealers in my area and 2 of them know my name by heart and phone probably cuz i call them everyday at exactly the same time....
  • yesrohyesroh Member Posts: 290
    It's your choice. I like them because they add an extra level of luxury to the car and make it easier to clean your interior...just pull out the mat, wash it, put it back. I've even machine-washed mine.
    If I ever drag race my Accord I'll remember the floor mats. I'd never thought of removing them before.
    Don't forget a gallon of gasoline weighs 5.8 to 6.3 pounds. If you drive a Civic around on less than half a tank you'll save as much as 42 pounds. If you drag race, just put a gallon in.
    From my experience most dealers don't know as much about their Civics as a well-informed customer. I used to trump them on a regular basis.
    My guess is no. Find out the dealer invoice. Consumer Reports recommends finding out the dealer invoice (what the dealer paid for the car), adding shipping (usually a standard $300-$400) and then adding a few hundred dollars. The RSX is probably a hot car and 20K may be under dealer invoice. Go to the Kelley Bluebook. I think it's in there and it might be online.
    I think the answer here is that the automatics are getting smarter and getting more gears and are matching and beating the manuals. It's very simple...given the same gear ratios, why wouldn't an automatic get as good mileage on the highway? If the automatic has taller gearing, why wouldn't it get better? It's simple, and part of the reason I've switched from manual trannies to autos. The stick hasn't gotten worse but the automatic has gotten better. You're all looking at this backwards. Turn around...
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Leave the deposit. ALl it will do is reserve your right to buy the car once it comes in (so they can't sell it out from under you). Just make sure they confirm that it is 100% refundable, pending her test drive. They shouldn't have any problem with that, and frankly, there probably isn't any legal way they could keep it.

Worst thing that happens is she doesn't like it, you get your deposit back (probably just a charge card hit that they might not even process), and they sell it the same day to someone else.

They really just want the deposit to get you attached to the car, and make sure that you have to return, even if just to get the deposit back! That, and some people will reserve units at multiple dealers, and then pit them against one another while freezing inventory.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 6spdtl6spdtl Member Posts: 30
    The civic Si will be less than 20K figure 1999 :). Navigation costs around 2K in other Honda models. Therefore a Nav Si will be around 22K. About milage, Hybrids match the highway MPG very well, all cars do. The significant shortfall is in city driving. Toyota's hybrids fall short by way the largest margin, their hybrid system was specifically designed to ace the EPA city loop, however, the city loop EPA test is completely off the planet compared to how real city driving is. In real city driving pure battery driving is hardly ever achieved, furthernore regenaration is very limited, thus the huge disparity between the toyota system estimated EPA and actual MPG. The Honda hybrid system doesn't rely on battery only driving for its city estimate thus its city estimate error is much lower than toyotas.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Is there any way your mom could hold out for a few weeks or so? Personally, unless it was a Ferrari or something, I wouldn't pay a deposit to take a test drive. It just goes against my beliefs about the way you do business. Dealers are certainly capitalizing on the excitement people have about this new Civic. I'm sure the deposit tactic helps deter joyriders, though.

I'd tell them that I will not pay a deposit to test drive. I'll be there the day the car arrives and expect to drive it. If they won't agree to that, hold out for a while if you can. In a month or so every dealer is going to have Civics in stock and discounts may even be possible. Patience is the key.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    The Nav system on the EX is only adding $1,500. FYI.
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    The comment made in that USA today article about the touchy clutch is a complaint I've had since my first civic (1996). It takes a bit of time to get used to the "last-minute" engagement of the civic clutch, especially when coming from just about any other manual. I don't know, maybe this is good for really sporty driving, but for stop and go, it sucks.

I guess typical civic drivers must like it because I'm the only one complaing :-)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    MidCow, hope you are OK down there in Houston.

(Sorry for off-topic post--hard to think of cars at this time. My best friend and his family live southeast of Houston.)
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    That's funny, I liked my '97 Civic's clutch better than my '01's. I thought the '97 had a perfect clutch. The '97 never jerked when changing gears and it shifted very smoothly (autoweek said back in '96/97 it was buttery smooth..).

I don't feel the same way for my '01. My '01 has a more touchy clutch and it's a little jerky at times. I stalled it several times in the first week or two after I bought it. I 've never stalled any of my cars before! I know it's not me because I 've been driving a stick since 1982. I got used to the '01 's clutch but I feel the shifter is still not as good or accurate as the '97's (it's not bad though) and according to the USA Today article it doesn't look like the '06s are either.

One thing this article confirmed for me is the fact that the coupes have firmer springs and shocks with bigger sway bars. That is what I wanted to hear. Also the height difference of 3" (!!) between the Coupe and Sedan, tells me that the coupes might be sitting 1/2 inch lower to the ground (I hope) because I can't see all 3" accounting to more headroom, unless the Coupe's windshield is more aggressively angled which looks like it from the small pics in the USA Today article.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • mcap56mcap56 Member Posts: 48
    You are not the only one complaining :) I really dislike the clutch on my 04. You have to let it up almost all the way before the gears engage. In traffic, it feels like you knee is up in your chest all day. It also requires you to push through far more of the range with the full resistance of the clutch engaged. The only thing that saves you is the light feel. You may not see many outright complaints but you will see a lot of posts that complain about the clutch being too high or the stroke too long. In reality it isn't any higher or longer. It just feels that way because it won't engage until you are at the top.
    Very accurate statements about the clutch.
    It doesn't get any better. With 156k on the odo, my '01 EX still shifts the same with the exception that the clutch now grabs a little higher. The more worn out it gets the higher your knee will go but I didn't notice it grabbing higher up until 120-130k mi. It 's very gradual and you probably won't notice it at all. I really don't have a problem with it and got used to it very quickly.

BTW, I forgot to mention that as your g7 Civic (or any Civic) gets broken in and the miles pass, the shifts get smoother and everything because the bushings wear out and are more flexible as well as the tranny mounts, etc. When a car is new sometimes we misinterpret new/stiff bushings and mounts, as "jerky" and such, like when shifting for example. The clutch disc, flwheel, and pressure plate, as well as the gear box (tranny) and your shift linkage, all go through a break-in periord. That period is actually about 10-15k mi.

As everything gets broken in (motor, tranny & clutch), and softer and flexible as in the case with suspension bushings, rubber motor & tranny mounts, the tolerance levels get higher, movement of parts increases, etc. so some of the "jerking" goes away and your car seems to shift easier and smoother. It's because it's not as "tight" as it was when it was new and the parts have settled in and have adjusted to the forces exerted on them.

However the jerking might return after 120k or 130k or so miles when the motor mounts and tranny mounts get excessively worn out (sprited driving and drag racing at the light causes them to crack and fail prematurely), as well as the control arm bushings. When just lifting from the throttle now, usually in 3d or 4th, the car has started to do a quick jerk back and forth. One of the tranny mounts is fubar. I have already replaced 2 of the 5 motor mounts because the car wanted to change lanes everytime I floored it. But racing-like behavior on the streets with an econo-car will do this, and you 'll find yourself in the shop paying $150-200 for a single motor mount (the motor's larger torque mounts can cost $100 just for 1 of them, smaller ones are less) or $250+ for 2 bad ones. Luckily that's all I had to pay for so far and it's because of my lead foot. The dealer was trying to tell me it was torque steer at first. I said "really, how many low torque 127hp cars have you seen jerk a foot or more to the side when hitting the gas?" Then the service manager came out and said he just drove it, and it was defititely too much pull for torque steer so they put it on the lift and proved me right. They never cease to amaze me how ignorant these service advisors are, or how much they lie, because they thought I had an ext. warranty and probably didn't want to do any of the work.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • watchdoc2003watchdoc2003 Member Posts: 22
    I picked up a 06 Civic EX 5spd non nav in Galaxy Grey yesterday. I bought it for $500 over invoice. Invoice was $17,241 and I was out the door for $17,741. The sticker was $18,800. It was my local dealer and the first civic they had gotten in. They threw in a few oil changes and offer "tires for life" on all the new cars they sell.

As with any new car I buy, I made them add the clause "Any parts, accessories, or extended warranties at dealer cost." Always be sure to have the GM or salesmanager sign this on your bill of sale.

I bought it for a commuter/daily driver and I've got about 200 miles on it so far. My initial impressions are very good.

The car is roomy and solid. It handles tightly and understeer is built in. The suspension is very compliant and I dare say rides as well as the accord. I'm 6' 1" and 220 and the civic offers a comfy if intimate cabin. There is lots of legroom and just enough headroom even with the sunroof. The tilting and telescoping steering wheel is great. It gives you a couple of inches to make your seating position "just right". The large dead pedel is excellent. The seats are larger and more supportive than previous civics and the faux suede cloth is very grippy. The sunroof is larger than previous models although it still doesn't open all the way. The new two tier dash takes a lil getting used to but the blue glow and digital display on the EX is very cool. The 350 watt stereo is great!! Purists will say is lacks midrange clarity and the bass is a tad muddy but it is a great system overall. 6 disc changers are the norm nowadays but my experience is that they are slow and I forget what's in the changer. Now I just make a MIX CD full of .mp3s and let the tunes roll. The mini-din input for a portable player is excellent. My 92 Talon Tsi had this feature but back then, walkmans were the standard instead of Ipods. The trunk is spacious and the 60/40 split rear seats will come in handy. All I need now is a set of all weather trunk and floor mats.

ENGINE/DRIVETRAIN
    The engine is smooth and willing and the additional torque is welcome. The throttle by wire is a tad slow compared to brands such as BMW but it still responds well for daily use. This engine is easily the best SOHC engine I've seen from honda. 30/38mpg puts a smile on my face all day long. The tranny is smooth with short throws and maybe just a hint of notchiness. Honda simply builds the best shifting cable operated manuals I've ever driven.

COMPLAINTS and PEEVS
    *sunroof needs to open all the way
    *emergency brake lever rubs my knee and might be an issue for taller drivers. I plan to add some padding.
    *the instrument cluster is futuristic and simple while the dash (non nav) is complicated and busy.
    *the speaker grills look cheap. I hope someone makes some nice replacements
    *the fog light covers gotta go, fog light should be standard on the EX anyway

Anyway, that's all for now... see you on the highway
  • rahooorahooo Member Posts: 16
    where did you get this quote? was it bait & switch or was the price actually true? thats a darn good price...please reply!
  • rahooorahooo Member Posts: 16
    You look at the VIN number, if it has a J at the very front, its a Japan car.

My salesperson said all the new ones he got when they first released were all Japan made. They haven't gotten any US/Canada made yet
  • drexelnetdrexelnet Member Posts: 47
    Allfiredup...yesroh...only1harry...mldj98

Guys, thanks alot for all your help, I really appreciate it. I know much more now then before. But, I have to go alone since I don't know anyone else that know they stuff, other than my girlfriend. If I decided to pay in cash all upfront, would I expect tons of paperwork or just one sheet to sign and that would be it, since I'm not financing or leasing, just purchasing it with cash. I just hope that internet consultant that I spoke to is nice in person and won't to the bait and switch on me. She just reschedule our appointment for tomorrow, seem a bit strange that she reschedule our appointment. It was suppose to be today.

Thanks alot everyoone.
    Watchdoc2003

I was wondering if you can please interpret this sentence that you wrote ..."Any parts, accessories, extended warranties at dealer cost." What do you mean by that. Is it important to do so.

Thank you
    I got the quote from Martin Line Honda in Philadelphia, PA. They internet consultant said that she would only charge me around $16,800 including taxes and tags. My appointment with her is tomorrow, hopefully when I get there, there is no bait and switch or they dont screw with me. I too am very excited that I got that price for a LX auto sedan. I am so excited that I possibly wont sleep tonight, just thinking about my first new car.
    Sure, it's simple. After you've negotiated you're price. Simply ask the sales manager to add the clause "customer can get any parts, accessories, or extended warranties for this car at dealer cost".. I've never had a dealer say no. See once the deal is all in writing, they won't complain since it doesn't cost them a thing since you're still paying their cost but you're covered later on if you decide you want to add something. This paint off pretty good for me on my wifes 98 civic when we had to have some parts replaced out of warranty. I simply took the bill of sale in (signed by the GM) and the part department honored the contract and sold me the parts at cost. It saved me about $200.
  • leslie19hbleslie19hb Member Posts: 5
    Hey, is there anyway that you can e-mail me the quote they gave you? :)
    Or did you just talk to the internet person over the phone?
    Thanks!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    did you get the coupe or sedan? If sedan, I thought the high-power stereo is reserved for the EX and SI coupes, and the sedan doesn't get it? Am I misinformed?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

My car is a coupe 2006, EX, 5spd, non nav, grey
    Have you ever seen West Side Story? There's a song that goes:

Cool boy, crazy boy,
    Stay cool, boy!
    Got a rocket in your pocket,
    Stay cool-ee-cool, boy!

Good advice when you go in to see the car dealer. Of course you want that new Civic so bad you can taste it. But don't let them know that!! Stay cool, as in, "Well, I kind of like the Civic, and if--IF--it's the right price, I'll buy one today, but if not, I can wait, or go down the street and look at (fill in the blank)." The key to successful negotiations is, always be ready to walk out the door.

If your girlfriend is experienced in car buying negotiations, by all means have her come along to help you. Besides, it will make her feel good that you trust her to help you with a major decision like this.
    Sorry, we kinda finalize the deal over the phone. At first, she quoted me online at $17,230, not including taxes and tags, but I decline the offer, days later, she called me to check up if I'm still interested. I again decline. Then she called back days later and ask what I was willing to spend since I told her before that I had a limited budget. Then days later, she called again, saying that she spoke with the manager and was willing to sell AROUND $16,800. She never mentioned sell it AT $16,800, but AROUND $16,800. But I told her it better be only a few hundred bucks around $16,800 otherwise I would walk. I figure if I can pay 17k(OTD) or under, it would still be a good deal for me, since a 06 Corolla S would cost be around $17,500 too. Mind as well go with a next gen Honda Civic then a old gen Corolla S.

Hope this help
    That's fine, as long as they stick to their promise after you walk in the door. But have you ever heard of "bait and switch"? Happens all the time. You walk in, love the car, gotta have it, and they say, "Oh, I didn't mention there is a $595 mandatory dealer prep fee" or whatever. Easy to say you will walk when you are on the phone. Stay strong when you are in the dealership.

Also if the deal really is legit she should have no problem sending you an email with the exact price and other terms.
    drexelnet: Get the price she quoted you in writing, ie: e-mail!! Call her up 1st thing tomorrow morning or tonight (they 're usually there late) and ask her to send you an e-mail with her final and best offer. Do it now. Don't delay. If you get no reply back in 20-30min. Call her up and demand she send you an e-mail with the breakdown totalling $16,800.

Are you sure she 's not trying to sell you a left over 2005? Make sure she 's talking about an '06 because I 'm getting suspecious since you 've been dealing with this lady for a couple of weeks now. Noone had any '06 models 2 weeks ago in the US. Did she tell you she has the color you want, etc. available in the lot? "Around $16,800" could mean hundreds more. What is invoice on the LX sedan auto? What is the sales tax rate where you live? Don't repeat that to her again "a few hundreds within $16.8K is ok by me.." Don't ever say that to a salesperson. Say "ok you got a deal, $16.8K but not a penny more, now send it to me in an e-mail". It's always better to deal in e-mail and so you have the price in writing. Print it out and take it with you when you go see her. If you don't have it in writing, they could produce any price they want and come up with any story they like when you get there. They did it to my dad 2yrs ago. The Subaru salesman told my dad over the phone he 'd give him the car for invoice and when he got there, they wanted invoice but that included the $1,000 dealer incentive. BULL. A promise is a promise. We started walking out and the GM came out in the parking lot and apologized and asked us to come back in and he 'd go over the figures. We got the Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5L AWD at $1 over invoice minus $1K dealer incentive (which the manufacturers give to the dealers so they can sell the cars faster). So it came out $999 under invoice (plus tax of course).
    I guarantee you this lady is going to mess with you. They always do when they use the word "around" so much..
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    Here's the autoweek article...

2006 Honda Civic
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    "customer can get any parts, accessories, or extended warranties for this car at dealer cost"..

This is garbage. Of course, they will sign it since they will never tell you what their true costs is. They will make up a price and you have no choice but to believe it.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    That's an interesting price and story... My internet dealer stated that he would only go $ 200 off MSRP on a 06 EX sedan with NAV and Automatic. Argued with him about fools buying the darn thing at MSRP, and he stated those that do are not fools, but got a good deal on a good vehicle. Reminded him that he just reduced the price down $ 200 dollars, and those that purchased MSRP just lost $200, and I know the prices will go down further. And yes, they are fools for purchasing a econo car for MSRP. He did not know what to say, and I told him to give my a call someday when the prices are down even further.

If your purchase is sound, than you got a fair deal and I and hope others will just walk out of the dealership until they start reducing it further.. Never know, it could go down $500 or more in a few weeks. Just hoping they will....
    Glad you enjoyed my review. I'm not really sure what you mean by "if your purchase is sound". My dealer is Bob Barbour Honda in Greenville, NC and they have always been pleasant to deal with and agressive on pricing. On my past two hondas and my BMW M Roadster where I had the "parts" clause in my bill of sale, I simply asked them for the invoice and they made me a copy. I'm not really sure how they could change the invoice amount but they've never given me a hard time and it's saved me money.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Well, as long as you were satisfied with the total price for everything at the end, it doesn't matter, but it is trivially easy for them to make bogus invoice numbers and pad the cost of any installation.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    drexelnet,

If you are paying cash the only things you should be signing are the purchase agreement....which has the price breakdown of the car and it also lists all of the other charges...i.e. tax, tag, dealer fee, doc fee...etc...plus you will have to sign another paper that's states that you do not want any extra's like paint sealant, fabric protection, extended warranty, and any possible maintenance program where you pay for your routine maintenance ahead of time...that should be it...no credit checks....nothing like that is needed...not sure if your paying actual cash, personal check, bank check, or whatever...but they do reserve the right to make sure your check clears before letting you drive off the lot...if you don't want to wait they will make you fill out a credit app and set up financing just in case your check bounces....either way they are going to protect their interest...

Now the price of the car...I hate to say it...but based on my researched there is no way you are going to get an 06 Civic LX for 16,800 out the door...the numbers just do not add up....even if they sold the car to you at invoice...by the time you add in tax, tags, and any dealer fees you are going to be way over 16,800...as somebody mentioned earlier...they may be trying to sell you an 05 and even then the numbers seem a little tight but doable...
    I agree with the other post...get them to breakdown the price including all fees and have them send it to you....I think that they may burst your bubble....
    But nonetheless good luck and let us know...I am curious to see how it turn out!
    Good luck!
  • obie2obie2 Member Posts: 20
    I agree. Civics are simply over priced at MSRP. I had a salesman call me today because I had test driven a vehicle at his dealership in L A area. I informed him that I wouldn't pay MSRP for a Civic, and told him to call back when prices drop. He "informed" me that prices would never drop! I said OK, see you later then. He said "how much are you willing to pay?" I replyed" didn't you just say they would never go down in price" . He said "just give me a simple answer, how much will you pay? I said $1000 under MSRP. He said when can you be here? Me: 10:00am tomorrow. Salesman: OK. 5 minutes later my phone rang. It was the salesman. Matt, I presented your "offer" to the sales manager and it is not possible to sell for under MSRP. Me: call me when prices drop.(see original coversation above!) Him:You have to be flexible. Make an offer. Me: YOU JUST SAID....never mind, good bye!.... Click
    The stick hasn't gotten worse but the automatic has gotten better. You're all looking at this backwards. Turn around...

Hey, don't be a wise guy! :)

What does seem odd to me is the fairly sudden change in MPG's. I would like to see absolute values at a steady state 60, 70, or 80. Let's be clear, once a car is going at hwy speeds and is in it's final gear be tha t4th, 5th, or 6th, it really is just a question of the gearing when comparing auto vs manual in the same car and other things being equal, nothing more.

Most of the mileage in my 130 mile daily commute is at hwy speeds which are 79-80 here in So. AZ. So that final gear ratio is important. (you should know that from cycling. Yeah the efficiency of the cyclist matters, but imagine the straightaways in low gear). I bought my first automatic (after 39 years of driving) with my 04 TSX but I miss the involvement I had with shifting and gliding and anticipating lights etc. Driving an auto has reminded me of the steady state of some stoners I know, but it is hard to justify buying a manual when you know you are going to be all abuzz at hwy speeds.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    watchdoc2003....What I meant by that statement ( if your purchase is sound ) is if and when you get the 06 vehicle in hand, and at that price, than its a good purchase, but as the poster below you stated the price does not seem right for the 06 model, but the 05 maybe. Get back to us on this will ya ? Thanks
  • evpedevped Member Posts: 39
    Could you comment on the shift action of the manual again. I've heard various opinions on it. Thanks.
    Ummm, I'm not sure where the confusion started but I bought it two days ago. Here's pics of my car along with the window sticker, invoice, and my purchase invoice for any doubters. If you can't see the pics well enough, I'll personally email you the full 5meg digital photo. Also, before you say, "They must have killed him on the trade". Look it up yourself. It was a Green 2003 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD with 50k in "clean" condition. It was due for a complete service and needed a set of tires. They allowed me private party value from edmunds. kbb values it even lower.

I will be adding photos today and if anyone wants a specific shot, please email me and I'll take it for you.

2006 Civic photos
    I describe the shift action as slightly notchy but doesn't require a lot of effort. The clutch is very light IMO. The 2-3 shift will be easy to miss. The 1-2 shift feels rewarding and sporty. To drive the car aggresively you will have to stay in the revs to keep the I-VTEC activated. It's something like driving a turbo car that you need to keep spooled up.

I'd like to comment on the new key. No more key fob remotes. The keyless entry is inside the key now. I like it.

Also, the new wipers are cool. They are large and pivot towards the sides of the car instead of in the middle of the car. I'm sure there is some engineering behind this as a way to improve wiper action but it isn't mentioned in the brochure.

Speaking of the brochure, the centerfold of the brochure is a spread just on safety features. The list reads like a car you'd see from Volvo. I was very surprised to see so many safety features I wasn't aware of.
    You're right. today when i went there, I got the turnaround. Another saleperson showed up instead of the internet consultant that I spoke with over the phone and online. He said that everything was sold out because the inventories that were priced around 16.8K were are gone because I came a day late. They quoted me $18,906 for the 06 Civic LX auto sedan. Then lower the price to $18,729.20 if I bought it today. And the car was a demo car, which already had 40mi. They claim that they only had 1 LX auto and 1 LX manual and 1 EX auto and manual and that all over the tristate area, there were only 4 Civic per lot. I can't believe that, that's a bunch of crap. My worst experience ever. And where I got to the dealership, all the saleperson were paying football.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Very nice car!
    You're right. today when i went there, I got the turnaround. Another saleperson showed up instead of the internet consultant that I spoke with over the phone and online. He said that everything was sold out because the inventories that were priced around 16.8K were are gone because I came a day late. They quoted me $18,906 for the 06 Civic LX auto sedan. Then lower the price to $18,729.20 if I bought it today. And the car was a demo car, which already had 40mi. They claim that they only had 1 LX auto and 1 LX manual and 1 EX auto and manual and that all over the tristate area, there were only 4 Civic per lot. I can't believe that, that's a bunch of crap. My worst experience ever. And where I got to the dealership, all the saleperson were paying football.

At least you did the right thing. You turned around and walked out. A couple of months of good production numbers will take care of this shortage, if there is one, and there will be plenty to talk about.
    Below is the link to an article here on Edounds.com about comments from the head of Nissan. These are the sorts of things you say when you have made a terrible miscalculation on where the auto business is going. They could have been releasing a state of the art vehicle, such as the new Civic Hybrid, and instead are years behind.

I think its particularly ironic where he says that Hybrids are a "terrible business prospect". They surely are for him because they won't have their first one until next year, and they have to license the technology from Toyota to produce it, because Nissan has none of their own.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107358
    I would like to revise my earlier shift review. At higher RPM's the notchiness disappears. Now that I'm willing to rev the engine more, the car shifts much more directly and smoothly. I think I was simply babying the car since it was my first few 100 miles and I'm getting used to it. I clearly shifts very well. I'm really amazed at the handling of this car. Based on this chasis, the Si should be a AutoX killer.
This discussion has been closed.