Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• novanova Member Posts: 135
    I would like to see some of you new owners post your gas mileage. I had a 2001 civic lx 4 dr auto and never got more than 23 mpg on the highway. I drive with the cruise control on at 80 mph. I know the new car has a 5 speed auto and that should help the mileage on the highway but 40 is hard for me to believe.
    P.S. I know 80 is fast,just keeping up with traffic.
    THANKS
  • sguartsguart Member Posts: 3
    hmm... probably because of the high speed... mostly highway miles, a little bit of local... 2004 civic ex auto... avg 65-70mph on highway... calculated it twice, once aroudn 32+mpg, and another time around 33+mpg.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In other words, their "best offer" was almost $1000 over MSRP. Don''t worry, though. Just wait a few months and there will be plenty of Civics on the lots to choose from, and dealers will be more reasonable. But you might want to choose another dealer next time. :(
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Someone may have posted this already, but if you make an appointment with an internet consultant, NEVER talk to anyone else, they will try to steal the sale. The internet depts are usually on a different pricing structure and also have a different philosophy of customer service. There is a large dealer near me where the internet department is straightup and super nice, but the salesmen at the door are all high pressure and bogus deals.
  • drexelnetdrexelnet Member Posts: 47
    Well, actually the price that I got quoted for were all OTD price. Everything included, except for the security system. He mentioned that it was only on EX model not LX. I will go there again. And I didn't appreciate them staring at my girlfriend while I was there. Thanks.
  • steveoregonsteveoregon Member Posts: 41
    This morning I dropped by my local Honda dealer here in Beaverton Oregon (Portland suburb), just to see how many 06's they had. They had four 06 sedans on the lot. They were having a "special" on these. What was the special? Well, instead of the huge "adjusted market value" posted on the stickers, the price had now been lowered to about $200 over MSRP.

I don't personally care for the styling of the sedan, so I'm waiting for the coup. I asked a salesman when they would be getting the coups, and he said "next week".

Now get this - - A couple hours later I was driving around town running errands - and what da ya know - there's a truck in front of me loaded up with brand new Civics. Most were natural gas powered 05 Civics (a fleet buy I would learn later). But there was one 06 on the very back of the truck. Yep, it was a coup.

Whipped out my camera and took a photo (below). Then I followed the truck to the dealers off-site lot and took some more photos.

Then I went back to the dealership and asked if I could take a test drive in it. The salesman drove me back to the off-site lot and there was a brief argument with the truck driver. The dealership hadn't signed for the cars - thus we weren't supposed to touch it. Someone eventually signed for them - and off we took for a test drive. This was the first time any of the salesman had see one. The car was dirty and the radio didn't work at all (code not programmed yet). Nor did the remote locks work (also not programmed yet). None the less, it was nice to know I may have been the first in Portland to drive a coupe. The coup was an EX automatic. It was built in Canada - not Japan like the sedans. No, I didn't buy it. Will wait a little while longer.

Photo Here

Photo Here

Photo Here
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Re. car shopping and buying . . . I was young once too, and would fall in love with a car I was considering buying. One thing that age and experience teaches you is very simple: don't fall in love with any car! Time is your friend, and don't rush into buying anything. Even the young folks on this thread may remember all of the "hoopla" when VW introduced the New Beetle. Now, many sit on the lot for months without any buyers. Additionally, there should be no rush to be a first adopter on any new car model, as there are ALWAYS problems with the first year of a new design - even with a Honda.

Not all dealers gouge a customer on new and popular vehicles. If a dealer does this, run away as fast as you can. This behavior comes from upper-level management, and if they do this to you now, you can be assured of trickery later, even in the shop when your car needs normal maintenance.
    That's true. I'm definitely going to wait now, but i can't really wait that long though, because my current car is almost falling apart, it's a 1986 ford. I don't think that it will last much longer. I hoping by mid-October, there might be a price relief and I don't really want to buy a 06 Corrolla S.
    While you are waiting, check out some of the Civic's other competitors. You may find something you like for thousands less. And it will give you more bargaining leverage with the Honda sales rep when the time comes ("You know, I like the XXXXXX car too and it costs $4000 less than the Civic...").
  • ciprianciprian Member Posts: 10
    gas milage for my new civic 06 (EX, automatic) / after one week was aprox 31 mpg. This is mixed (city + freeway) for the very first 250 miles for this car.
    It goes at aprox 2000 rpm at 60 - 65 mph (fifth speed) - but if needs additional power (like going uphill on freeway) it will switch back to forth speed.

I've noticed one problem - the front passanger door doesn't close very well (I don't know if this is only in my car or a general issue).
    But overall, I'm satisfied with the new car.

This Honda Civic replaced my Toyota Corolla LE (model 2001). I really like the new car more but I miss the automatic lights existing in Toyota.
    Also, I have 4-5 friends owners of old Civic models (mainly EX) - and all of them liked more the new car.

The engine seems pretty quiet and the sound system is good. Finally - my first car with MP3 player by default and aux input.
    And, of course, I like the new design + dashboard. As other people said, you don't see the hood of this car - but after a while you probably get used to it. I understand you have the same problem in other cars, too.
    There are also minor details: chromed exhaused pipe, a cover for wires in the trunk, automatic sunroof and driver window (both directions), telescopic steering wheel, etc.

Initially, I've negociated unsuccesfully on another EX. Second day, I've decided to see other cars (Ford Focus, Mazda 3) - and found a Focus with a lot of accessories (leather, sunroon, ABS, etc) at aprox 14k + taxes (way cheaper than Honda Civic)
    But I really liked the new Civic EX (sedan), so I ended up paying more than 19k + taxes.

Beware - the dealer wanted to sell me a security system for 650$ - although the car has a standard security system. The standard security system in my car works just fine without any dealer's intervention :-)
    Oh, these dealers...
    I did try searching for other cars, like Mazda 3, Corolla S, Focus, Spectra, Cobalt, and Forenza. But ultimately, I narrowed it down to the Corolla S and Civic LX because of their reliability, durability, performance, reputation, and quality of their cars. Although the Mazda 3, Focus, Spectra, Cobalt, and Forenza were way cheaper and longer warranty than the corolla and civic, but there built quality very stinks and I planning to keep the new car for at least 6 to 9 years so I wanted to buy something that I know would last for a long time.
    Thanks for the head up thought. Why can't the honda dealers be like the Saturn dealers. The sticker price for the 06 LX auto sedan was $17,320..taxes...$1,212.40...tags and fees...$154. Funny thing was that, hours later the saleperson called, and he was willing to charge only $18,250 if I bought it tomorrow. But the car already had 40mi on it with scratches on the back bumper, some kind of sticky substance all over the front hood and on the back trunk and there was black ink stain on the driver side armrest when I test drove it and they only had one LX auto sedan. But, the dealer would only charge $375 for the extra security system compare to $600 something that others had posted earlier. I still decline and would rather wait until mid october or by thanksgiving at the latest.
    The MSRP of the LX automatic sedan is $17,860. So with over $1300 in taxes and fees, the $18,250 is not a bad price if the car is cleaned up. The sticky substance was probably residue from the protective sheeting that covers a car during transit--it's easily removed by the dealer (and they should have removed it by now--same thing happened on a Civic I bought years ago, I had to take the car back to the dealer to have them remove all the residue).
    Yeah, come to think about it, $18,250 is not so bad, but I would rather wait for a while so I could try to negiotate it further when they have more LX sedans on their alot, since they only have two right now. I kinda want to spend around $17,500 at most for a civic, because it is a civic after all and I still have to pay my tuition. I can't go all out for a civic. In addition, I really dislike that place because they don't treat people well.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    e coup was an EX automatic. It was built in Canada - not Japan like the sedans. No, I didn't buy it. Will wait a little while longer.

Photo Here

Photo Here

Photo Here

Nice pics of coupe's rear, none of the ugly front?
  • obie2obie2 Member Posts: 20
    Here are the invoice prices that are posted on costco.com website(click-"services" then "auto buying" then "research". Looks like EX coupes w/ Navi are $250 more than sedans w/Navi (different radio/cd player?) Also, LX sedans are $200 more than LX coupes. Hope this helps with negotiating. Thanks, Matt
    P.S. I am going to dealer in L A area tomorrow to find out the "special" Costco price. Will post what they tell me. (If the price is fine, I'll sign on the line. But if its too high, I'll just say good-bye!
    COUPE
    EX AT-NAVI ---$19017.88---------MSRP=$20810
    EX AT-----------$17421.53---------MSRP=$19060
    EX MT- NAVI--$18383.12---------MSRP=$20010
    EX MT----------$16691.77---------MSRP=$18260
    LX AT-----------$15642.74---------MSRP=$17110
    LX MT----------$14912.98---------MSRP=$16310

SEDAN
    EX AT-NAVI---$18789.83---------MSRP=$20560
    EX AT----------$17421.53---------MSRP=$19060
    EX MT-NAVI--$18060.07---------MSRP=$19760
    EX MT---------$16691.77---------MSRP=$18260
    LX AT----------$15825.18---------MSRP=$17310
    LX MT---------$15095.42---------MSRP=$16510
    DX AT---------$14046.39---------MSRP=$15360
    DX MT--------$13316.63---------MSRP=$14560

Destination fee is an extra $550 in my area (not included in these prices)
    see post 2079
  • gabagooo1gabagooo1 Member Posts: 5
    My 06 Atomic Blue LX Sedan has a rubberized cover for the floor of the trunk (it goes on top of the carpet that already lines the trunk. I was wondering if this was a standard item on the new Civics or an option - there is nothing about it on the option sheet or in any of the paperwork. If it is an accessory, I didn't pay for it. Also, my car came with wheel locks which were installed (the old lugs were in the package in the glove box) - again, optional accessory or standard? If extra - I didn't pay form them.

Has any one noticed just how much the Civic looks like a BMW 3 and 5 Series? I don't mind. BTW - the car rides very low and I have noticed that I have to take great car when pulling in and out of my drive way - it tends to scrape.
  • civic4civic4 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks, glad to hear this info, I should test drive but I don't want to be tempted to make a rash decision and walk out so soon in the new model introduction. Hoping for better deals and incentives after the hoopla subsides.
  • crazycrocrazycro Member Posts: 12
    Have you ever used the Costco's auto program to buy a car? I would love to use this as an option to haggling. I love there store's they always manage to save my money. If this is as good as Costco tends to be, it should be a great deal. Not to mention all the salesman crap it can help avoid. Please let me know. Also where on there site did you get those prices I couldn't find them.

Thanks in advance :P
  • civic4civic4 Member Posts: 33
    Guess the states will not be seeing this version, interesting though.....

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?intAsvPageCurrent=5&section_id=31&article_id=10047-
  • alobster7alobster7 Member Posts: 17
    Ciprian:

You say you miss the auto lights that existed in the Toyota Corolla.

I am considering a compact car purchase in the next few months. Earlier I mentioned the fact that this feature is missing on the civic 06 on another message board. A person wrote that I could order a part from JC Whitney and then I would have this feature. Honda stated they could install the part on a new civic. Honda said they could place a warranty on the installation but of course not on the part itself.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&sku=zx135226

What is your opinion of this idea? I see no drawbacks thus far. I do not understand why Honda has not included this feature already.

BTW, what is it you don't like about the auto sunroof in the civic 06?
    Civic 06 has DRL (daytime runing lights) - but this is different than low-beam headlights. You can not use DRL during the night.
    Toyota had a sensor - and it used to switch from DRL to low-beam automatically when it was dark. The device included in your link doesn't have a sensor - it just switch the low-beam lights on/off with ignition.

Frankly, after a few days of driving I start getting used with the manual lights system. It warns you if you take the key out of ignition and the lights are on - but in a decent way. This is not the case when you start the car without wearing the belt - the warning sound in this second case is too loud. I wonder if there's a way to turn it down.
    And I assume, after you get used to have manual lights - it's a reflex to turn them on when it's dark. Right now, I don't mind too much about them but it's a nice feature than Honda doesn't have.

I was talking about small (good) details. So, I liked the sunroof in civic 06 because it's auto. Also, I liked that's finally a cover on the wires in the trunk and so on.
    See http://automobiles.honda.com/models/interior_accessories.asp?ModelName=Civic+Sedan
    They are optional accessories.
    Trunk tray + wheel locks are not standard. Are you sure you didn't pay for them when you paid for the car? Check the sticker.
    Maybe you were not aware about them during the negociation...
    "Everything included, except for the security system. He mentioned that it was only on EX model not LX."

This is not true. LX has standard security system with remote key.
    See: http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_descriptions.asp?ModelName=Civic+Sedan
  • nr9nr9 Member Posts: 55
    the civic offers negligeable improvement over the previous generation.

Ths only thing better is the engine.

I don't understand the obsession over exterior styling when the interior looks cheap.
    comon, a nice leather or leatherette interior with fake wood accents or metal accents does not cost that much to make.

When Im driving the car, I dont look at the outside and my girl doesnt look at the outside. We are both in the car. The interior is the most important part.

They should spend less money on the exterior styling and more money on the interior. I could care less if my car looks like [non-permissible content removed] on the outside.
  • alobster7alobster7 Member Posts: 17
    Ciprian:

You are right it SHOULD be a reflex to turn manual lights off. However, if one is absentminded and forget to do this there is a dead battery.

Do you see where there would be any drawback to adding the JCWhitney part before driving the civic out of the dealer lot?

Glad you like the sunroof (I believe it is called "moonroof" now) in the new civic. I made what I consider to be a HUGE mistake when I tried to negotiate a deal several months ago. I informed them up front that I wanted to pay cash. They don't give a good deal if you do that.
    I think the interior of the new Civic is quite nice for this class of cars. Which cars in its class do you think have nicer interiors? The Mazda3's interior is sportier I think, but nicer than the Civics, I don't know. Actually, it does have fake metal trim. Who needs/wants fake woodgrain in a Civic? It would seem out of place to me. If you want it, I'm sure that aftermarket wood kits will be available. If you want leather, that can be added aftermarket also. I prefer cloth myself. Who knows, maybe Honda will add a SE trim with leather and woodgrain later.

We all know what happens to sales of a car when it looks bad on the outside (see "Aztek" for example).
    But, would I have to be a member inorder to get those deal with seem to be provide by Costco. thanks.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Well, a few days ago I test drove the new Civic. I have to say, I was impressed. When I first saw it in photos, I thought to myself "eew" :P But in person, I find it striking.

The interior is very nice, when i first saw it in pictures I thought it was too extreme. But when I saw it in person, I thought it was very nice. I love how the two-layer gauge cluster lights up at night, and I love its 'futursitic' design.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Joining Costco or Sam's for that matter is not a big deal. Yes you'd have to be a member, but if you go to the stores frequently you can get enough free food samples to cover the membership cost. :D

Oh, by the way I see a 2006 Civic (no other info. in the ad) on sale at a Honda dealer in Lawrence MA, for $12.9K. It shows despite the current "rush" at introduction, you're still going to lose thousands when you drive it off the lot. Don't pay MSRP.

Go to Costco, negotiate near invoice and walk away, or just wait a few months. It'll be better for all consumers if people resist paying MSRP, and get the price down quicker.
  • vanhelvanhel Member Posts: 1
    Well I paid $18700 for a 06 EX plus tax,tag, and title. Its only options were Splash Guards, pinstripes and Moonroof Visor. Price included $550 destination charge. That's not too bad I think. Already put a 1000 miles on and have got 34MPG. I have a Courier business is why I have 1000 miles already. I got the car Wednesday night and will keep you up to date. So far I love the car. Only complaint might be my knee does rub the emergency brake some.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Too bad about the e-brake digging into your legs. May be a deal-breaker for many.
  • steveoregonsteveoregon Member Posts: 41
    This afternoon, I saw four of the coups in our local dealers off-site lot. Two of them were the "atomic blue metal" color - which is the first I've seen of this color in the real world. None of the sedans at the dealer's main lot have been this color. Very nice color. Test drove the one in the photo.

Atomic Blue Metal Coup

However, I also test drove an 06 Accord 4DR LX. I will have to say, the more conservative styling of the Accord pushed me towards the Accord. It was on special for about $1K below MSRP. Before I knew it, I was driving it home.
    What I Got
  • watchdoc2003watchdoc2003 Member Posts: 22
    I was the one that mentioned this to begin with. While I still think the placement of the ebrake is somewhat odd, I don't consider it a deal breaker. I'm simply gonna cover mine with some tennis racket softgrip. Honda has done some odd ebrakes lately. The CRV and Oddessy come to mind. I think 80% of buyers will never notice. It will only be noticed by taller and larger drivers.

Also, I saw a black LX 5spd at another dealer yesterday with a big SOLD sticker in the windows. It looked great but I'm really happy with my Galaxy Grey EX 5spd Coupe.
  • rwm741rwm741 Member Posts: 11
    I am a tall, but not particularly wide driver. When I test-drove the Civic LX last week, the positioning of the parking brake did not bother me at all.

My least favorite position for the parking brake would be by the footrest, where it would likely rub against my shin and prevent me from stretching my left leg. I don't know of any Honda vehicles where the parking brake is set there, but some Toyotas would include the Camry XLE, the Avalon, and the Prius.
    the toyota corolla LE with leather and woodgrain trim has a nicer interior.
    other cars with nicer nteriors:
    mazda3
    chevy cobalt LTZ
    pt cruiser limited
    ford fusion
    kia optima and hyundai sonata(bigger but same pricing)

lots of cars have better interiors.

the civic interior looks like an arcade game machine, not a place where you can relax with your chick.
    Salesman at my dealer said they are not offering Costco special pricing on '06 Civics yet. But, to answer your question,yes. $40 per year. Back to the drawing board!
    the design is futuristic, but the materials they use look cheap. hard untextured plastics, etc.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I actually saw my 1st '06 Accord here in South Florida the other day and I was truly stunned...what a difference for the better. What price did you end up paying for the LX? It's a bit scary that the Civic price is so close to the Accord. But I can see why the Civic coupe will sell. It's drop dead looking, especially the 3/4 rear view. And I just fell in love with the blue color. A more pleasing color than a navy and not as wild as the Mazda 3 electric blue.
    If we didn't just buy our Mazda 3 recently, I would've steered the wife towards the Civic, as she likes that size. Also, how is the vision from the drivers seat in both the Civic and the Accord. She's real unhappy with the vision out of the 3, as the headrests are really a bit large. Am hoping to get her into a Honda so I can get the 3.

The Sandman ;)
    Costco.com--click on "services" > then click "auto buying"> then enter your zip code >then click "car research" then three drop down menus to "2006" then "honda" and "Civic sedan" >then click picture of civic. They show a list of the trim levels. You have to click each one to get prices, then go back to previous page and repeat, etc.. hope this helps matt
    Well, if you leave the lights on, you'll hear a reminder chime when you open the driver's door. If you really forget about lights and do not hear the reminder chime - that's bad luck :-)

I don't see a specific drawback to adding the JCWhitney device.
    You can try one with a sensor (a quick search gave me this result - http://www.dsp-mobilityelectronics.com/accessories/head.html), but it's really up to you.

Good luck if you want to buy a new civic. But if you're not in hurry, it's worthy to wait a few weeks - I guess you're going to get a better deal.

Regarding the interior - yes, it's not conventional style and this is what we (myself + my wife) like about it. It's just a matter of preference.
    The same with color - our car is atomic blue and we enjoy it (but other people can prefer different colors)
  • jencpgirljencpgirl Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys,

I've been in the market for a new vehicle, and I have test drove the Toyota Corolla, found that its very fuel efficient but I did not like the interior styling and the seats were uncomfortable. My friends have always been Honda fans, I have been test driving the 2005 Civic VP manual and automatic, I never drove manual before so I kinda been learning as I test drive, I been wanting to learn manual just to save the $800 and get better gas mileage, in the same breath I wanted to see what the 2006 were like. They were available about on the 13th here in Kentucky, I had test drove, I like the 2006, but Im very scared to buy the first year of new models. So I went back to considering a 2005 EX, but was told you they checked 61 dealerships in IN, KY, and OH, and none exist. I could buy certified, but the price was pretty high. Also now it appears I should not consider manual for the 2006 as it will probably get lower gas mileage. Also my friends told me the 2005 coupe was not good in side crash test and shoudl get the seden. WIth all this floating in my mind and not being in a huge hurry to buy. What has people's experience been with Honda's first year of a model change in the past, are the little complaints people have likely to be changed in the 2007? one person commented that Honda makes changes mid way through a model year, which yields even a better vehicle without waiting till the next year, also this new engine, transmission, etc that is unvieled is this all really new to Honda, I didnt hear of a Japanese version being out for the past year or two of the civic.. Dealership is trying to tell me this is a Acura engine that has been out for years, and the transmission technology is in the Oddesy and stuff, so really there is nothing new in the civic that should yield concern. Also does people think with the standard airbags and the number of airbags that this will yield excellent resuls compared to the 2005 model, year Im still strongly looking at 2005's but it appears I will not get the model/color of choice (all bugs worked out), to me reliability is very important, fuel economy, and safety. any advise on should I continue to pursue a standard transmission or automatic, I will be doing mostly highway driving close to 85%. ;)
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    If people find the e-brake to be intrusive on the Civic, I wonder what their thoughts are on the console of the Mazda 3. It's right against your leg making it a very tight fit, actually quite uncomfortable to me. You have no room to move your right leg at all.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    '06 Civic coupe's behind looks way too fat and disproportionate. The sedan's behind looks much better. And the coupe could definitely benefit from the sedan's tail light placement on the trunk lid.

Does anyone agree on the above points?
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    jencpgirl,

To answer you question in your previous post I can tell you this...We purchased the 2001 Civic when it came out and at that time it was a complete re-design of the previous Civic design. We encountered no problems whatsoever!
    Bottom line is this...Honda makes the most reliable car on the market period!
    Toyota is the same....I have no doubt that if you buy the 06 Civic it will run forever and give you no problems...just do the routine maintenance as required! With all the safety futures now available I'm sure the cost of insurance should be more than affordable (depending on your driving record). With the way transmissions are made now the old way of thinking that manuals get better gas mileage are out the window...for me, since I am in bumper to bumper traffic allot on my commute the auto is the way to go...manual makes my knee a little sore. But if you are not in the bumper to bumper traffic then a manual might be more fun to drive...you know what they say...to each his own! Since you are not in a big hurry...I would wait a spell and get the new 06 Civic...so many more great features than the 05's with very little price increase (assuming you can wait until the new model buying frezy slows down). These are just my opinions....good luck!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Nicer is a matter of taste/style, wouldn't you agree? :confuse:

I will concede that the Corolla has a nicely finished interior for a car in its class, but it is a bit dated looking next to the organic style of the 06 Civic. The 06 Corolla competes VERY favoribly with the 2005 Civic, but as far as being nicer than the 2006, I can't say that you are right or wrong, because the two are stylistically different; so much so, that they can't be compared on style, mainly on materials and fit/finish, in which they are comparable :) (judging from my gf's 2004 Corolla LE (sunroof and woodgrain, cloth) and the EX (no nav) that I test drove.
  • watchdoc2003watchdoc2003 Member Posts: 22
    As any car enthusiast would do, I'm learning and digging all around my car. The subwoofer appears to be a 8" free air design that uses the entire trunk as an enclosure. This would explain the somewhat "boomy" bass. I prefer fast tight bass so I may try changing the driver to achieve results more towards my tastes. The subwoofer basket is very heavy duty for an OEM driver and has a fairly substansial magnet. I can't see what the cone material is made of.
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    I agree with you. I don't like the way the Coupe is designed in the back. I wish the Coupe had the sedan's rear. Honda actually did a pretty good job with the '06 sedan for a change. Much better looking than '01-05.

I always buy Civic coupes (the '06 will be my 4th if I get one) because they weigh less and I 'm the only one that gets to sit in it. I get bigger sedans or SUVs for my wife and son which my wife drives mostly. I wish she had picked a new Accord over the '04 CRV EX she got but she rarely listens to me. She just wanted an SUV and that was it. Luckily I convinced her not to buy the V6 SUVs she was looking at because I knew the gas prices would go up more. I 'll probably end up buying the '06 Coupe and forget about that ugly rear that looks like a Saturn's behind. The good thing about the Coupes is that they have a sportier suspension so they should handle better than the sedans.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • heejomanheejoman Member Posts: 33
    There are lot of review of this car already. I'm slow as I just test drove this past weekend.

I have owned a Civics, Accords and Integras in the past. So this is biased review.

I test drove 2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX AT.

1.) Exterior, New look. Very modern. I liked the back. The doors opened and closed very nicely. Looked at the line of the car. Quality fit. The front is nice too but the hood reminded me of hood of a small hatch back Aveo, or even 2005 Civic Si.

2.) Interior, Again new look. First thing I noticed were the side/curtain airbags. Then the radio and the heating/air console reminded me of TSX which is a good thing. Seats were comfortable. Telescoping steering wheel a great amenity. Unique fuel and temperature gauge which felt very futuristic. Sunroof was very nice. One touch very smooth. Light years better than my Integra's.

3.) Test Drive.
    a.) Pick up - This is where I am strongly biased on this car. 140 hp . . . okay if you say so. But compare to my Integra (also 140 hp), if felt slower. Had to merge on to the highway and to speed up quick from 20 mph, I felt uncomfortable as it took a second or two (but felt like eternity) for the gear to shift down and the v-tec to kicked in.

b.) View - Over all, very good. Minimal blind spots. It had that tiny window right by the side view mirrors. The hood however, I couldn't see it. I was keep thinking, if I had to park in the city . . .

c.) Handling and noise- For a small 4 door non luxury sedan, it handled very well. Much better than Corolla, Sentra, and even Mazda 3 (which handled well but fish tailed on me couple times). Made me curious about the handling of the Si though. Pretty quiet. Don't have the insulation like those luxury cars but this is a Civic. If it had those insulations like TSX, it would be even quieter.

4.) Similar to: I felt like I was driving a TSX with no leather and half of its power. A bit smaller but I think it handled just as well. After the test drive, I turned right around and test drove 2006 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder 4 door. Bigger car but felt much more confident to merger onto the same highway. Better pick up on Accord for sure. Handling was about the same. Keep in mind, though Hondas to me handles lot better than Toyotas and still keeps comfort. My brother's BMW 330 handling to me is too tight (stressful to me).

Unless it's a manual drive, it's hard to go from being used to good powered V6 car to a Civic. However within the small car market, the safety, comfort and reliability you can't beat Civic. I read a lot of comparison to the Mazda 3. I like Mazda 3. It is a good car but Civic is a better.

So those brand new buyers or buyers who are changing from another small car, Civic should definitely the one you should consider.

But for those who are used to mid-sized and/or descent V6 power, for a Honda product, move up to Accord. Accord LX 4 cylinder (adequate power but felt lot more even on a heavier car than Civic) is just a small jump (price wise) from Civic EX. Accord SE is a great value I think.
This discussion has been closed.