Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• craig14craig14 Member Posts: 8
    I looked back 10 days in ths forum and didn't see anything. Thanks for the link. I suspect our car may have been built towards the tail end of the production run mentioned. I'll call the dealer.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    herraleu said:

" don't really care about the hp-difference, I care more about the tourque at low rpme (1500-3000) since that is where I drive. teh dealer Imentioned (zimbrick) is the only honda ..."
    Honda engines have always been high reving low torque., ideally suited for the enthusiast that likes to shift.

If you want torque get a big ole american gas guzzling V8 or get a diesel.

If you want fun and economy, get a Honda.

If you want a bigger engine( but yet less econimical) and more torquey engine get a Mazda.

You do realize that bigger engine size means more torque and even more refined look at the stroke compared to the bore. The longer the stroker the slower reving, lower rpm and higher take-off ( low RPM) torque.

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S.- The Si is even better!
    Latest CR, Likes the Cobalt SS and really berates: Tc (nun supercharged), Elipse non V6)and RSX (non S type). Civic Si or other Civics weren't tested, but the Si would be the winner.

The first time I have seem CR pick a winmner and write the article biased toward that end.

I think the new Si is a very good car and will be getting one soon as a "commuter" car.

Having said that, I was really impressed with the Mazda 3 5-speed 2.3 hatchback. It is an excellent car also with a lot better 4 year 50,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Honda has increased powertrain warranty to 5/60K but still is a 3/36K on everything else.

Cheers,

MidCow :shades:

will soon be double cruis'n in 6th 2005 Accord Coupe and 2006 Civic Si Coupe.
    Look at the back of the new BMW 5 series. The relook the back of a Honda Civic Coupe. While not exactly the same it is possible to mistake a Civic Coupe for the look of a much more expensive car.

Anyway, I think the back of the Civic Coupe looks great, but then again I am not even close to the normal Civic demographic.

The old guy,

MidCow
    under $14K the xB offers stability control. Stability control is way overrated in FWD though! Unless roll over is a potential due to HCOG.

Only this year did Honda begin offering stability control on the V6 Accord. and the don't call it ESC, then specifically call it VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist).

cruis'n in 6th

MidCow
  • kezmosiskezmosis Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I just got my 2006 Honda Civic Sedan AT EX about a week ago and the automatic transmission feels a tad bit "lurchy"... coming to stops, it feels like it's taken a lot longer than necessary to change gears or downshift. Just curious is anyone else has experienced these issues?
  • vix4vix4 Member Posts: 52
    Honda's quality is not what it used to be. It used to be the domestics that had first year quality issues, now it seems Toyota and Honda have the same quality problems.

It must be an embarassment to Honda. They had so much riding on the new Civic, now this.

Are they going to give owners a free oil change or offer a loaner car for the hassle of having to return their new car to get fixed?
    The vast majority of them haven't been sold yet.

Actually, it sounds like almost every 2006 Civic sold has to be recalled.

Here are the VINs affected by the defect:

JHMAFA15216S000026 thru 0541
    1HGFA16876L000001 thru 12981
    2HGFG12836H500089 thru 09942
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    This is not new for Honda, or the Civic. The '01 Civic had at least 3 recalls, I recall, and a number of other little problems. Honda used to launch new models in Japan before bringing them over here; I think that is what helped them build their reputation for quality here. Now they launch new models simultaneously around the world. So glitches are bound to pop up--it's hard to avoid them on an all-new design with the inherent complexity of today's cars.
    So glitches are bound to pop up--it's hard to avoid them on an all-new design with the inherent complexity of today's cars.

I don't think the throttle pedal is that complex. It seems more like a poor design on Honda's part and not an assembly problem since it seemed to affect 3 different assembly plants.

As Honda onwers we have historically paid a premium for what we perceived was a higher quality product, but as you mentioned, Honda's quality is not what it used to be and recalls and defects are more common now. Given the improved quality of the other automakers, and Honda's slipping quality, I think the price premium for 'perceived quality' will continue shrink.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Folks, all cars have first year glitches. That is why it makes sense to wait until at least the second year. The product cycle is getting shorter these days (meaning less time to develop new vehicles), the cars are getting more and more complex, so don't be surprised that "even Honda" has some first year problems.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    It's best to wait for problems to be sorted out before buying a redesigned car, plus you will get a much better discount the second year anyway.
    Actually, the product cycle has lengthened for Honda and other automakers. A four-year cycle used to be common for Honda, Toyota, and others. Now five years or even longer is common. Another way to cut costs I guess.
  • andysandiegoandysandiego Member Posts: 54
    Backtracking a bit, but conscience dictates I correct an impression I wrote a couple of weeks back. While comparing an ‘04 sedan to an ’06, I demeaned the ’04 driver’s seat, and a couple of other readers agreed. However, after continuing to try different positions (I’m 5-8) found that with the seat all the way down, not all the way back, and the seatback not extreme either way, finally after a year and a half I’m comfortable – with apologies to Honda.

I know this is a sedan forum, and I liked a test drive in an EX auto Nav sedan when they were first available, but today I briefly drove an LX 5-speed coupe, and was impressed with the fun of winding the engine up in second - as much as conditions permitted. I agree with others that the electric steering feels very light, but I bet you’d get used to it. The dealer had a spiffed up ’06 coupe on the floor with 225/40-18 tires on it, and Koya wheels, but no one could tell me the width of the wheels. The package looked great.

At 40 mph or so I thought it would be interesting to see how it felt in 5th, to see how much it felt like lugging. I committed a faux pas but learned something. I pressed the lever too far to the right, pulled it toward me and thought the radio was giving out a funny high-pitched whine, but soon realized I was trying to put it in reverse. What’s interesting is that my ’99 Camaro Z28 has a lock-out to prevent you from pushing the shift lever over to the right while going forward. Plus, believe it or not, reverse on the Z28 (which has the 6-speed Corvette transmission) has synchromesh.

The latest “Autoweek” is starting a Drivers Log with a new Si. All three testers like it, although Mandel writes, “I would like less electric steering boost.”

You don’t have to tell me, this is a dumb posting.

:P
    You are absolutely right. The previous generation Civic was on the market 'forever' in car terms. Honda had longer time than normal to get things right with the '06.

It seems Honda is no better in quality than the rest of the market. Even Hyundai is beating Honda in quality now.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    This seems like the best site I have found for a real performance rating of the Civic EX coupe...
    Does 0-60 in the 8.2-8.5 second range sound right to you ?

I read this on Vtec.net when they first posted it a month or so ago. It's the only test numbers to date that I've seen for any non-Si model. The numbers do sound accurate (a little better than I expected, actually). Those figures put it in the higher end of the pack at the moment.

It'll be interesting to see a comparison test of a Civic EX and competitors which I'm sure will turn up in the next few months. Hopefully the automatic version will perform better than the '05. Edmunds clocked the '05 auto EX at 10.9 0-60. I bet the new one will break the 10 second mark. The 5-speed auto should help vs. the old 4-speed.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Latest CR, Likes the Cobalt SS and really berates: Tc (nun supercharged), Elipse non V6)and RSX (non S type). Civic Si or other Civics weren't tested, but the Si would be the winner.

That test was VERY unsettling to me because the RSX, Eclipse and tC all has normally aspirated engines with 155-162hp while the Cobalt SS was supercharged with 205hp. The Cobalt was also the most expensive by over $1000. They make a non-supercharged Cobalt SS with 171hp for $3200 less. Wonder where that model would have placed in comparison?

Seems really unfair (biased) to me.

P.S.- The Civic Si would have kicked all their tails. The EX probably would have as well.
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    The vast majority of them haven't been sold yet.

Actually, it sounds like almost every 2006 Civic sold has to be recalled.

Here are the VINs affected by the defect:

JHMAFA15216S000026 thru 0541
    1HGFA16876L000001 thru 12981
    2HGFG12836H500089 thru 09942 Close but no cigar
    -----------------------------

My Coupe is not on this list....If this is the correct list that is..... :)
  • geovargeovar Member Posts: 7
    Reading the recall press release, it looks like no incidents were reported by customers. Honda identified the problem through one of their dealers and are proactively handling the issue.

Although it would have been great if the problem were not there, IMHO the fact that Honda caught the problem before customers did, is a testament to their focus on quality throughout their entire supply chain.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...publishes the test results from its auto division in batches. These are not comparison tests in the sense that most of the car magazines do, which is what I've always liked about CU; their testing criteria are absolute for each class, which is why they publish the chart on the second page of the summary writeup that shows where the cars in the article line up with ALL of the cars in that class, not just the 4 or 5 that were published that month. You really have to understand CU's methodology to appreciate the conclusions they draw.

I'd pick a tC over a Cobalt any day, but only because I value certain qualities that are clearly spelled out as strengths in their test summary - that's why the data from CU is so valuable - you decide what's most important to you among the various criteria they use. Their point was that the tC isn't especially "sporty", which is true enough as far as it goes.

As for the new Civic, because Consumers Union BUYS all of its test cars, and then runs them all through the same testing regimen [which takes months, not days or weeks], you won't see anything on the new Civic until at least January, or more likely Feb or March in Consumer Reports. I'm predicting that the Civic sedan will be their new top choice in that class. (Since the new Si isn't even for sale yet, don't look for any report from CU on that model until late spring at the earliest.)
  • let31257let31257 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 96 Honda Civic with 136,000 miles that appears to burn up to two quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. I see no oil on the engine and no blue smoke while idling. Is this normal and how much oil should a high mileage car use between oil changes? Do I need to replace the valve seals, guides or rings?

Thanks------ Larry
  • mark19mark19 Member Posts: 123
    yeah i agree about CR.. they have made some wacky decisions sometimes which do not make sense in the NORMAL world.. The only thing I really use CR for is the reliability records and that's only because they compile the results from owners of those cars.. that tells the truth. I would take their car recommendations with a "grain of salt".. seriously..

To recommend the cobalt over the other cars, I think they've been smoking a little crack.. I think the Civic Si and even the tC would be better overall values than the Cobalt..

Is it just me or the Cobalt looks like the 96-2000 civic coupe? It's eerie to me how it looks like that..
    bought a 96 Honda Civic with 136,000 miles that appears to burn up to two quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. I see no oil on the engine and no blue smoke while idling. Is this normal and how much oil should a high mileage car use between oil changes? Do I need to replace the valve seals, guides or rings?
    ----------------------
    This is the 06 Civic sedan site, not the 96 civic problem site :mad:
    CR hasn't reported on the Civic yet, so we have no idea how they would rate it compared to the Cobalt. Also, CR doesn't rate cars based on value, but only on how they perform in their tests and in a few other aspects such as crash testing. So one car being less expensive, and hence a better value, than another car doesn't weigh into how they rank cars within a group.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Except for the TSX, NSX, and S2000, all hondas are assembled in US and Canada.

The RL, Insight, RSX etc are also exclusively assembled in Japan. Most CRVs are also assembled in Japan, while some CRVs are assembled in England. Some 4-Cyl Accord Sedans and 4-Cyl Civic Sedans are also assembled in Japan.
  • barry11barry11 Member Posts: 18
    I ordered my LX Sedan AT and paid my deposit, but have not received delivery yet (2-3 more weeks).

I was wondering if the 2006 Civic has a battery saver feature to save you if you leave a light on or the door slightly open overnight. I am considering ordering an aftermarket "Priority Start" device or similar to install on the battery if this feature is lacking. With 2 young kids in the house, you knever know when something like that will happen.

Anybody know? Any other accessories that I will need? Thanks.
  • 6spdtl6spdtl Member Posts: 30
    There is no battery saver feature in any Honda.
  • fbtmousefbtmouse Member Posts: 3
    ok, i live in CT. looking for a 2006 Civic EX sedan Manual w/ fog lights. got a quote for $20,050, out the door (everything included).

here is the breakdown (appox)

car: $18,092.00
    fog lights (msrp+install):$585.00
    dealer processing fee: $159.00
    TTL:$1215.16

total out the door...$20,050

i thinks it's good....what about you guys?
    $585 for fog lights seems ridiculous to me, but maybe that's because I've only used them maybe once in five years.
    That looks like a good price to me and I especially like the relatively reasonable dealer processing fee. All of the dealers in my area are charging $400. However, I don't fully understand why people pay so much for fog lights. Personally I would pass on them, but to each his own. Enjoy your new car.
  • bigal3bigal3 Member Posts: 107
    Honda charge $585 for fog lights?.....mmm. How come I can get a set of fog lights in Walmart for $29 ?
  • evpedevped Member Posts: 39
    I had fog lights on my '90 Accord and never used them. It took me 6 hours to install. Waste of time and money.
  • 2006civic2006civic Member Posts: 1
    Thats funny, when I leave the door open in my 2006 civic for awhile, the interior lights go out..I would call this a battery saver feature...My car does what he is asking about :)
  • noobnoob Member Posts: 11
    I just bought 2006 Civic EX today. I think this is the only 2006 civic in my area. Already 6 people have asked about my car in 1 hour. Do you guys feel that you are being watched?

And yes.. Mazda3 is nice.. But it's not "cool".

If you want a "cool" car, buy Civic.
    I noticed that some of the Civics assembled in Japan that were spotted by forum members in the US have shown up in west coast states (Cali and Washington). Is it typical that Japanese Civics would only be available in western states and that the east coast would get North American assembled Civics? That would make perfect sense considering the shipping logistics.

I was just wondering if there is any chance of getting a Japanese Civic in North Carolina (specifically an LX Sedan AT).
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    But the aftermarket fog lights won't be factory so they will look aftermarket. I paid $500 to have fog lights put in my 04 EX-L and about $350 to have them put in our 03 Si and it was worth it IMO.
    Where do you live that you need to spend $ 500 big ones on a fog light ? Never had one, never would use one, and will never spend $500 on fog lamps. :confuse:
    We should keep in mind that fog lights are not just a functional accessory, but they also affect the appearance of the vehicle. Everyone has different tastes, and there are plenty of people who will spend lots of $ to get the look they are after. I see cars every week that have aftermarket rims that probably cost more than the value of the rest of the car. Not for me, but to each his own.

I do think Honda is gouging a bit here. You can order OEM fog lights for $150 on some other cars and I think that is reasonable. But there are a lot of ways that the dealerships try to gouge (pin striping, for example), and this is just one. Buyer beware.

My personal problem with fog lights is that many drivers do not use them appropriately and they are often not aimed correctly and the result is blinding to other drivers, but that is probably for another topic.
  • oldjoeoldjoe Member Posts: 132
    The blinding fog lighyts are not fog lights but "driving lights"...when you see them cxall 911 on your cell phone and report them...if a highway cop has nothing to do he can earn $500 for his city.
  • oldjoeoldjoe Member Posts: 132
    The 2006 Civic makes the other small cars look like hay wagons....sexy!
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I think the Sedan's shape looks great from the A-pillar to the rear. In front of the A-pillar (Hood etc), there is a sudden drop-off in the flow of the car....it somehow does not look harmonious. The wedgy hood region does not jell with the slightly chunky look from the A-pillar backward.
  • rwcivicrwcivic Member Posts: 1
    I got my Civic LX last month in St. Pete Florida. Assembled in Japan. This car was part of their first shipment and the dealer told me the first batch of shipments were all assembled in Japan. The same dealer now only has those assembled in US.

The serial number will start with J.......
  • drexelnetdrexelnet Member Posts: 47
    I am interest in purchasing a 2006 honda, but heard that there is a recall for the honda civic, should I be worry and wait a couple of weeks more, or don't worry at all? Thanks
    They are now fixing the glitch to the accelerator linkage and you should not worry about this. Honda is on top of it and its a easy fix.....
  • fuzzer34fuzzer34 Member Posts: 28
    Dealer quoted me $495 for OEM fogs when I bought my '04 SI. I declined, bought OEM fogs online for $200. Installed them myself taking all of two hours. I suggest any accessories be bought online for up to %50 off. :)
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    WOW! Lots of opinions about the fog lights! Here's mine: You need to look at the OVERALL deal, not necessarily item by item. If the "AS EQUIPPED" final price is to your liking, then go for it. Also, be aware that the fog lights will be genuine Honda factory parts installed by the dealer, and Honda's warranty covers their own installed accessories. This is an important consideration. As far as my own personal experience goes, I would NEVER get a vehicle without them. They LOOK great, and are so helpful when needed, regardless of how rare that is. After all, how often do you expect to use your air bags, but when you need them, you are certainly glad they are there. Fog lights can be a real life-saver under the right conditions. You obviously want them, so GET THEM!!! . . . and they'll be fully warranted by Honda.
  • hondasalesmanhondasalesman Member Posts: 3
    Fog Lights at our dealership in York, Pa go for $544 dollars installed and they are warranted by Honda. At time of purchase from my dealership you can get them for cheaper.
  • bigal3bigal3 Member Posts: 107
    I live in a place where fog is common. Hearing similar rumors from the neighbors, I also spent $150 installing the fog lights on my car.

But honestly, after installing them, I do not find it any easier to see or safer to drive in the fog with them turned on.

Yes, they look cool on a clear night....& can blind the raccoons & skunks when they try to run across the road at night(thats right....there are incidents when they are blinded by the fog lights....panic & stop in the middle of the road).

I agree that air bags, ABS, ASC, better tires & disc brakes, etc.. can be life-savers under the right conditions....but fog lights?....cost $500?......mmmmmmmm?
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    And the reason they are all looking at you is because they want to know why you chose the civic over the 3 because for the second year in a row edmunds editors again listed the 3 as the most wanted vehicle for 2006 in this class. The lowly civic received honorable mention though. Just messin with you... the civic is a nice car. i used to be a honda fan, but am all mazda now. enjoy your civic.
    It is a plus for the Civic that it did very well in Edmund's 2006 Most Wanted list. It qualified for two categories: Sedan Under $15,000 and Coupe Under $15,000. It took 1st in the coupe category and 2nd in the sedan category. (In comparison, the Mazda3 qualified in two categories also: Sedan Under $15,000 and Wagons Under $25,000, and it took 1st in one and zilch in the other. Not a bad showing, just not quite as good as the Civic.)
This discussion has been closed.