Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    You know I find it interesting to note that before and immediately after your post about IIHS crash testing the 2006 Civic and how well it did the topic of conversation was, and continues to be, the audio system...speakers...subwoofers...etc. Yes, turn up your sound system enough not to hear the horn of the SUV about to T-bone you and you shall be saved, like it or not!!!
  • eric29eric29 Member Posts: 49
    You don't have to blast the audio system to enjoy music. A good audio system will give you separation of the frequencies of the instruments and voices in the music.

I'm happy with the safety features. I wish the Civic had the traction control features of the Jetta and Passat and more expensive European cars. Those systems can pull you out of a spin on black ice.

But it doesn't. So I'll go to my death enjoying music after I upgrade the audio. :)
    As I said, interesting..maybe if I hadn't brought up stereo upgrades beating safety as a topic that post may have gone largely unnoticed. I too like music but you would think passenger safety, especially after an exceptional showing for the Civic, would prompt some comment. Further, the 2006 Hyundai Sonata..even the base model, has stability control of the type "expensive" European cars offer.... as a standard feature. Also heated outside mirrors, and traction control..yes I own a 2006 Civic, yes I also have owned, and liked I might add, Hyundai products. Go figure!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I like Hyundais too (own two of them) but one thing they don't have is a car that aces the IIHS tests, like the Civic. I like traction control too (I have it on one of my Hyundais) but forced to choose I'd take the crash protection.
    Car manufacturers in the US don't think that safety is as big an issue as other accessories. That's why we lag so far behind the Europeans when it comes to safety. The Civics don't even have rear passenger side airbags. They have rear passenger head airbags only.

I bought the car that everyone in my family could drive. The passat and jetta didn't have the visibility that the Civic did, according to the family members who sat in it. The first part of safety is making sure that drivers feel comfortable.

All things being equal, I would have moved to a model with more safety features, like the Jetta or Passat.
    Man, I didn't think when I voiced the other "H" brand on this site...I followed the small( but heated) debate that followed your own heresy by commenting that Honda might..just might, mind you, not be Gods own ride..hah. Anyhow you are correct that this was a super showing for the Civic and Honda should be acknowledged for their engineering.
    No car in the Civic's class has eight airbags. The Civic did equally well on the IIHS side impact test compared to the Jetta.
    I beg to differ, who says we lag far behind the Europeans and who says US manufacturers don't think safety is a big issue? It seems to me that with every "crash" test cars in general are better and by extension safer. How many less than $20K cars have rear passenger side airbags?? Not having researched the topic I can honestly say I don't know but doubt there are many in the sub $20 K class.
    How many cars in the $15k and under class have six airbags and standard ABS and active headrests? I can think of only one, and only one other car in that class that has standard six airbags and ABS. It is clear that Honda focused on safety with the new Civic, and did a great job. (ESC and traction control would be nice too, but those are easy to add later--crash safety is not.)
  • chidorochidoro Member Posts: 125
    That's an excellent point. Safety features solely reliant on potentially cost prohibitive computer controlled devices such as ESC and traction control are far easier to incorporate than a structural design overhaul that allows excellent passenger protection.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I would like to see the rating from the Government tests too. From what I understand, the tests from these 2 institutes complement each other. The IIHS tests measure how well the structure would fare, with its more involving offset tests, while the NHTSA tests primarily rate the performance of the supplemental restraint systems with their star ratings.
    "I beg to differ, who says we lag far behind the Europeans and who says US manufacturers don't think safety is a big issue? "

Many people have said it. I saw a report, probably on 60 minutes, a decade ago indicating that US auto manufacturers could make most roofs crush proof for $200 a vehicle, as the Europeans have. They refused to do so.

http://www.smartmotorist.com/rol/rol.htm

Active head restraints have been used on Saabs and other European cars for years. Many cars here are just getting them. Stability control isn't even an option on many US cars. Mercedes introduces this into its fleet vehicles years ago and reported a staggering reduction in certain types of accidents.

Look at the best in class for safety on the Consumer Reports site:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/consumer-reports-cars-best-in-class-safety.htm

I'm not going to go on about this; so you can have the last word. The reality is that the US government puts the profits of the auto manufacturers above the cost they would incur to make cars safer.
    Both the NHTSA and IIHS crash tests test the structure and supplemental restraint systems. Some big differences between the two of them are:

* The IIHS uses an offset frontal test that places greater stress on the (front) body structure.
    * The IIHS side test uses a sled that is shaped in front like a pickup truck or SUV, so it puts more strain on the body structure and more emphasis on window-level restraints (which is why you almost never see a vehicle do well on this test unless it has side curtain airbags).
    * The NHTSA doesn't test for rear impacts, where active head restraints help prevent neck injuries.'
    * The NHTSA's "star" rating system doesn't take into account head injuries (at least on side impacts).

So if a car does very well on the IIHS tests, it is near certain it will do well on the NHTSA tests. The converse is not true, however. Example: the previous-generation Civic coupe had the best score of any small car on the NHTSA tests--"five stars" on both frontal and side impacts. However, Honda asked the IIHS not to test that model for side impact and wait instead until the 2006 Civic was released. They obviously knew that the results would not be favorable on the older Civic. Keep in mind that the prior-gen Civic did not have side curtain airbags like the 2006 Civic does.
    A decade ago my lowly Dodge Stratus had,still does for that matter, both driver/passenger airbags, traction control, heated outside mirrors and ABS but it did poorly in the NTSA frontal crash test. No, it didn't have stability control, side curtain airbags or active headrests. Did it match the average Saab or Volvo of the time for safety features...probably because they didn't have those either at the time. Do certain prestige European auto makers i.e. BMW Mercedes etc. install advanced (read expensive to engineer, produce and equip) safety features before Ford ? Yep, considering the cost difference I would expect no less until they trickle down to vastly cheaper cars. This has always been so...pay $60K or more for a car and you should get all the latest safety features including active cruise control, back-up alert, lane deviation alert, and more. pay $20K for a Taurus and you get..well, a Taurus. Is it right that your rich neighbor gets all the goodies?? Finally, the government, according to many, sticks its nose too much into the auto industry as it is by mandating ALL the safety features we currently have.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Here's a pic of a folded back seat. Two questions for the happy owners of new Civics:

1) Is this the lowest the seatback goes? If not, how low does it go, completely flat?

2) Once the back seats are folded, what is the distance between the back of the front seats and the end of the trunk (i.e. how long an item can be placed in there?). Would a 4x8 fit in?

Many thank yous!

Folded Seats Pic
    The link to your pic doesn't work.

Anyway, what's a 4 x 8? Do you mean a sheet of plywood? You're not going to get a sheet of plywood in the back of that car unless you cut it up. The 4' side won't fit in the trunk.
    Eric, I just tried the link, it works. Try again!
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    No, the link didn't work last night, nor did it this morning.
  • jnuzzijnuzzi Member Posts: 39
    When I click the link this is what I get:

"You are trying to view a picture on the CanadianDriver.com-Server from another site.We do not want other sites to steal our bandwidth, so if you want to help us please send a mail to inquiries@canadiandriver.com and tell us the URL of the site you came from. Thanks!"

Stop stealing bandwidth! :P :D
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It worked for me last night and it's working for me now. Weird.
    You probably have a cookie stored from the original site, which we can't aquire because we can't get to the original site.
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    www.canadiandriver.com/cgi-bin/schlabo/sp.pl?/photos/2006/honda/civic/06civic_sd- n_14.jpg
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Ordering a 4dr LX for my daughter who's graduating from college... And (well, hopefully) receiving it in a month --- can someone regular here sum up -- WHAT KIND OF COMMON PROBLEMS, WEAKNESSES, COMMON DEFECTS -- SHOULD I WATCH FOR?

Especially being a brand new model (I once swore to never purchase a car in its first model year.... But this new Civic is irresistable...), with a new engine, I assume there ARE some problems...

I'd appreciate your help.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    buy good speakers - they are a once and done deal usually. they'll sound much better than cheapies at bigboxmart.

(i bought an 06 civic lx and i'm shopping for speakers now)
    Nothing special, just the usual stuff to check on a new car: check the car carefully for defects in the paint or any scratches/dents it may have received at the dealer; check to see that all the protective coating is off the car (might look like a slightly-sticky clear substance); look for mis-aligned body panels; watch for any strange noise or vibration when driving it (could be a simple wheel alignment--or something else); listen for any squeaks or rattles; watch for any strange engine behavior, e.g. hesitation, lurching, excessive gear-hunting of an automatic transmission or less-than-smooth operation of the stick shift; check for proper operation of the stereo and all switches; have the dealer check tire inflation (often is set too high); make sure the spare tire, floor mats, and tools are in the car (the last car I bought, which was an auto-show demo, didn't have the jack in it!); check the odometer for excessive mileage--it should have around 10 miles or so; if more than that, it's been used as a demo and you can ask for some kind of compensation; and of course the car should be spotlessly clean inside and out when it is delivered to you.

Now, 99% of the time all these things will be fine on a Honda, but it doesn't hurt to check and maybe save you a return trip or two to the dealer.
    i have a new civic - and since i have four kids every car i have has seat covers - first thing to go in. but with all these airbags, will a normal slip on seatcover work?
    any ideas?
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    The seat cover might work but the side airbags built into the seats might not.

The Civics have occupant positioning sensors, which detect the body position of the occupants in the front seats through different sensors (optical?). They then shut the side airbags off if the body is not positioned properly in the seat. Put a cover over the seats and see if the airbag "off" light comes on.

My best bet would be to talk to a company that installs aftermarket leather. Because they stitch the leather over the stock seats, find out if that would affect the side airbag deployment, and if there is a way to put something over the seat without affecting the airbags, or if there are any special precautions they uise when stitching leather over seats with built in airbags.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• warnerwarner Member Posts: 196
    I like Hyundais too (own two of them) but one thing they don't have is a car that aces the IIHS tests, like the Civic. I like traction control too (I have it on one of my Hyundais) but forced to choose I'd take the crash protection.

Backy, I have also owned a Hyundai product (a 2000 Elantra Wagon) and liked it very much. But the one thing that Hyundai REALLY doesn't have that makes all the difference in the world to people who replace their cars every few years or so is resale value. Maybe that's improved now since Hyundai has gotten some awards, but I think it will be a LONG time before they bring what a honda civic will bring on the resale end. Don't get me wrong, I really liked my Elantra wagon, but knew going in that I wouldn't get much for it when I sold it. Compare that with the 2004 Civic LX 5 speed with 41,000 miles on it that I just traded in on my 2006 Civic EX auto and got $11,900 for the trade in! (and they didn't make much up on the price of the 2006, either as I got over $1,000 off of the MSRP).

Warner
    I'll take the airbags.
    all the traction control in the world isn't going to help you when getting t-boned by aforementioned truck.

Another thing i like about the side curtain airbags is how the side curtains reduce the amount of glass flying around. i once had a ford windstar that i rolled (and totalled, thank God - another story). we (my two year old [who is a living testament to the sanity of baby seats] and i) were all strapped in properly and the only injury we incurred were cuts from flying glass.
    have the dealer check tire inflation (often is set too high)

Reminds me that when we test drove a Civic few weeks ago, I noticed a slight vibration (though my daughter did not notice any) that seemed like coming from the pavement, even though we drove on a road that was repaved recently...

I even mentioned it to the salesman, saying it seems like the tires are too hard, maybe over inflated. He had no reaction.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    It's unlikely the vibration you felt would have come from over-inflated tires.
    Yes, the Civic is a real champ on resale value, and if I were planning to keep a car only 2-3 years that would be a major factor. But I am at the point in my car-buying life where my two current cars and my next car will go to my kids for college, and thus each car will be in the family for over ten years. So resale value means little to me--but low acquisition cost and a 10-year warranty mean a lot.
    Yes, the Civic is a real champ on resale value, and if I were planning to keep a car only 2-3 years that would be a major factor. But I am at the point in my car-buying life where my two current cars and my next car will go to my kids for college, and thus each car will be in the family for over ten years. So resale value means little to me--but low acquisition cost and a 10-year warranty mean a lot.

I hear you. That was my plan when I bought the '04 civic, too. But one day I was driving to work and the coolest looking Acura passed me by on the highway. The problem was, someone put a Honda emblem on it....and even went to the trouble of putting a different looking "Civic" emblem on the back of it, too! Wait, that IS a Civic....what the heck? After seeing that car, I really wanted to look into them. Then I didn't see one again for a while and forgot to check into it. Next thing I know I'm reading about the Motor Trend car of the year for '06 and was reminded again that I wanted to check out the new Civic. I did...and after getting what I wanted on my '04 for trade in and getting over $1,000 off MSRP on the new one, I drove my 2006 Civic EX with 5 speed automatic trans home (I got over the 5 speed manual craze after driving the '04 in suburban Chicago traffic for a year and a half with it). And that's what happened to me. The beauty of it all was that I didn't replace so much as a wiper blade on the '04, and it was getting to the point of needing tires and brakes within the next 10k miles (there's a grand down the tubes that I'd never get back). It just all worked out for me, but I can TOTALLY understand where you're coming from and if one is going to keep their car for years and years, they may be better off with a less expensive (up front) vehicle like one of the Hyundais. I liked mine fine for the 82,000 miles that I put on it.

Warner
    I need some help here. I just bought a new 2006 Civic EX and want to try to keep it nice. The first thing that I thought about was how my 5 year old daughter likes to push her feet (aka SHOES, BOOTS, whatever!) into the back of the seat in front of her. With just socks, it's not really a big deal, but since it's really starting to be winter here in Chicago, that's not going to be the case very often. What can I put on the backs of the two front seats that will protect them from her shoes/boots? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Warner
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    At 5, is it impossible for her to stop this behavior? How will this be handled in someone elses car?
    Well, have there been any complaints here about vibrations? It's not really very pronounced, more lke a BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ... Again, my daughter claimed she didn't feel it.
    1) Scotchgard.
    2) Pin a towel (make it as close a color match as you can) to the back of the seat cushion.
    3) (As was already suggested) Discipline. Also consider that if her feet are up against the seat back, she is not in a good position if there is a crash--so it is for her benefit as well as yours to leave her feet on the floor.
    My kids always did that and they are good kids. I don't know if it is possible to stop this.

It's up to you. I had better things to worry about, but that's just me.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It's a danger to them and a bad habit. Probably worth the hassle of dealing with it now instead of ignoring it and worrying about "better things."
    Some parents remove kids from safety seats if the child has tantrums when belted in, so they can keep their child happy at all times.
    Well, thanks to all who posted (including those with parenting advice). I have gone the discipline route, but the reality of it is that it's not a discipline problem. Imagine yourself sitting on a seat where your feet don't touch the floor. Okay, now you find that you've slid down in your seat a bit (it happens to all of us). How would you adjust your seating position? She does this to straighten herself out in the seat....it's not a matter of riding around like that. I appreciate all of the useful advice. To those who are expert parents, I'm happy that your children turned out so well. :) Backy, I really like the towel idea....a gray colored towel that matches fairly well shouldn't be too difficult to find - thanks!

Warner
    I think you should stop being so cheap, warner, and buy your daughter her own car.

Maybe a used Hyundai for now.
    I think you should stop being so cheap, warner, and buy your daughter her own car.

Maybe a used Hyundai for now.

That's the PERFECT solution! And then I can hire a driver for her....Hahahaha....

Warner
  • bobbeebobbee Member Posts: 9
    Can the Civic handle a 1500-1900 pound small boat, with trailer brakes, on flat terrain, would probably be going 15 miles or less per trip ?
  • bigal3bigal3 Member Posts: 107
    Civic is light vehicle with a "low torque high rev" engine, it is not exactly the right car to tow something heavy. But if you have something to tow (e.g. a small boat on flat terrain) & that is the only car available, you do not have much choice. The only suggestion I can give is to keep the speed slow & allow a safe distance for the brakes.
    You can get brakes on a trailer, can't you? That might make it safer even for such a short trip.
  • mike120877mike120877 Member Posts: 10
    I'm curious if anyone can help me regarding the Navi system on the new Civics. Is it the same Navi system that's found on the Accords? Does it have trip computer functions like mpg, or miles-to-empty? Thanks for your help.
  • acesfullacesfull Member Posts: 9
    I'm not sure if it is the same as the accord, but it is very nice. I do not think it gives MPG, miles to empty. However, it has many beneficial options. It can be voice operated or manually. You can put in destinations in different ways (address, intersection, point of interest, previous destinations, etc.) You can schedule events into a calender, store addresses, and control the audio system. The PC card reader is much better than a CD changer, and makes the CD player almost useless (I haven't used it in 6 weeks). All in all the navi system is well worth the extra cash.
    Folks, are some of you still suffering from your right knee rubbing against the hand brake? After a few complaints a month or so ago, the issue disappeared from the forum

If your knee does rub, could you please indicate your height?
  • acesfullacesfull Member Posts: 9
    nope, 5'7", only complaint, not even really a complaint, the front end not being visible. Just something that will take time to get used to I guess.
    I have an '06 Civic, and I do "spread out" when I drive and I have not noticed this problem. Having said that, I haven't taken any trips over about 20 miles. I read about that also, and considering how high up the brake lever is, I have to wonder if people don't have their seats moved up too close, not allowing their legs to stretch out. I'll pay careful attention when I drive home tonight and see what I'd have to do to touch that lever with my leg.

Warner
This discussion has been closed.