Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• junk_car_ownerjunk_car_owner Member Posts: 47
    the car is sooo darn new that of course im not used to all the sounds it makes in comparison to the car i traded in . I bet in a few months I just wont notice it as much.
  • sheldo1sheldo1 Member Posts: 64
    Mine's got over 4k miles on it and it isn't getting any better. Maybe mine is worse than most but it sounds like a boat motor to me.
    Okay once again with regards to that sound many of us seem to be hearing on our new cars:

I can hear this muffled mmmmm,grrrrr sound at 1500 rpm no matter what my speed. Of course I can hear it at lower speeds better but , it is there at higher speeds as well.

I was driving 73km/h and took my foot off the gas. When the rpm when down to 1500 I noticed that muffled grrr/mmmm sound in the background of the engine. Its definitely a change in engine sound . almost like the transmission is also staying at a certain gear Im not sure I have an automatic.

I was also accelerating from 8 km/h and looked at the rpm which was 1500...also heard that sound in the background.

I put the car in park later and pushed on the gas, yes the sound was a bit there in the back ground. Not as pronounced though as when I am driving.

I noticed the grrr sound is more pronounced when you are stepping on the accelerator. Like I was going up an incline and pushed on the gas gently so that the rpm was at 1500. Sound was there. Also happened on the straight away when i just touched the gas so that the rpm was at 1500. THe change in engine sound was there ..no matter what speed.

I have feeling that it is just characteristic of this engine. Especially since so many of us have it. And...it really is sooo subtle. I am sure that after the first oil change and even later on ..we are going to be hearing all kinds of sounds throughout the life of the car.

There is no change in driving / performance or feel. So I am really not worried at all about this anymore.
    here in canada i think the 2006 civic sedans are equiped with goodyear eagle rs-a tires. Are they different tires in the US?
    If you are happy with your car that is great. However, the noise in my car is very noticeable so I will keep pushing Honda for a solution. No car should make this noise and I don't buy the notion that is is just a "characteristic" of this engine. Just because many of us have the problem doesn't make ok. I don't understand the logic in that. I won't give it a pass just because it is a Honda.
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    US Civics come with Bridgestone Turanzas (at least my EX did). Not the greatest treadwear rating, 300, I think. Some folks say they're not that good in snow.
  • seaweaseawea Member Posts: 11
    Hello everyone-

I know that this might not be the place to ask, but I recently brought the 06 Civic LX and I wanted to get it insurance along with my son as the secondary driver. Does anyone know will the name of my son appear on the insurance card along with my name. Because I just got my insurance card back and noticed that my son's name doesn't appear either on the insurance card or on the policy, even though, I paid to declare my son as the other driver for the Civic LX. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Ok , I have re evealuated that grrrr noise some of us have been hearing in our civic LX . Mine is an automatic with less than 1000km on it.

I found this morning that it was really cold outside. Like -12 celsious or so. After a few km of driving and getting on the on ramp to the highway, i was slowly accelerating and found that grrr and vibration to be the loudest i ever heard. I really really noticed it this morning. and when i looked at that big tach. it was right at 1500 rpm. So for me, it happens at any speed, its definitely always at 1500 rpm.

Later in the day i was still driving around, and on a hot engine but I tried and tried and just couldn't always get that grrrr and vibration at 1500 rpm anymore. It is just not always that reproducable every single time. Just sometimes.

But, it is definitely a grrr sound and even a vibration that I have become aware of. It sounds like its originatiing outside, And I am starting to believe that is might be the exhaust system or muffler area. Thats because the grrr sound reminds of someo of those suped up cars that teenagers have and put those gigantic mufflers on just to make lots more muffler noise. Thats kind of what the grr sound reminds me of.

Well I will point it out to my dealer ship at the first oil change incase there is a bulletin out about it and they maybe can do something . BUt, in order for the mechanic to hear it I probably have to leave the car over night and start it with him on a very cold morning and show him exactly how to look for it.
  • rryan1rryan1 Member Posts: 1
    Grand Honda in Chicago constantly has very low prices. They have listed an LX auto for $16,350 online. I have not seen any other internet deals as low as this.

Should I offer an even lower price? I know I can always offer, and they can always say 'no', but when you get a low offer through the internet, is it assumed that the price you get is their 'final' offer generally?
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    No disrespect but I think that personel insurance issues would best be addressed to your agent. I am sure he/she would be glad to explain things to you and be in the best position to straighten things out for you. They are being paid for this. All mine does is take my premium $$$. Make 'em work for their money.
  • vinnycvinnyc Member Posts: 22
    I think Honda is ignoring this problem. Is that anything we can do to make Honda to fix this problem?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Seawea,

Your son is covered. Snyone you give permission to drive your car is covered under your insurance policy.

However, it is usually a manual note the insurance agents have to add to include your son's name on the insurance car. Contact you agent back and ask them to specifically put down you son's name on both the policy and the insurance car.

Top-down weather, just Zainoed!1

MidCow
    I think the first best thing to do is to just report it to your dealership the next time you are there. I am going to on my first oil change. The more people document this problem as being "checked" by the service centre the better. This will at least cover you for the future. Honda will be keeping track of all the service checks done on all cars. I am sure they dont want this car to end up with a huge problem.

Eventually , there will be some resolution to the problem. I think to be fair , we all just need to give them a bit of time to figure out the best way to deal with it especially since this is happening so soon. Lets not forget, that just because we are talking about it here, does not mean that Honda has heard about it.

The best thing to do is to tell your service advisor.

I haven't even gone in for my first oil change. My service advisor does not even know I have this vibratioin at 1500 rpm yet so naturally neither does Honda. When I do go in , I will tell him and perhaps by then, there may be some solution found to what we are all experiencing.
    It depends!

It is apparently a quirk of the new 2006 Civic design with AT transmissions.

Honda will fix it if :

(1) It is a safety issue.
    (2) It is a mechanical/engineering problem that will cause long term relibility and increase Honda warranty transmission claims.

Honda might fix it if:

(3) Car buying falls off significantly on the current 2006 Civic. (not likely)

(4) Fix for 2007 Civic year if the cost isn't too high. But not fix for existing 2006 models. Possbily fix for later built 2006 models.

Honda probably won't fix if:

(5) It is expensive to retrofit the fix for 2006 and it turns out the design flaw does not affect safety or warranty claims.

Sorry to say, even though new car models go through extensive Alpha and Beta testing, (5) is your most likely answer if you already have a 2006 Civic. If you are planning onm buying a 2007 then (4) is your most likely answer.

Top down crus'n,

MidCow

P.S.- Just remember, if you had followed my advice and gotten a MT you would be experiencing the "LUg BUg" problem or LUBU for short.
    I feel being cheated by Honda. This is a very basic quality standard from a car manufacturer. I'm wondering where is Honda's reputation these days??? I'm totally disappionted with it!!!
    Thanks for you reply above about what Honda would do . You sound like you are in the bus. and I agree that what you say does make logical sense from the companies point of view. Even if nothing can be done about it. I think I could live with it although, not something that I would forget.

By the way, while googling vtec.net I found this resonse about the vibration noise:

HONDA AFVM
    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-14-2006 15:51

Have your dealer check the heat shield. Sometimes during shipping when coming off the truck, they hit the heat shield with the chains cause were they attatch the clamps to hold the car down in transit. I've seen that in S2000 because the ground clearence. The Si is low also.
  • viki617viki617 Member Posts: 13
    Mine also has the Eagles, and I'm in the US (MA)
  • pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    You mean someone is questioning Honda Reliability? Similar to my first 'problem' with my Honda Pilot. I realized I was disillusioned with this product. No auto is bulletproof and they all have their 'issues'. It helps us to understand that we are very influenced by the media. I was called a fool when I bought a 1995 Hyundai Sonata. I drove that for 200,000 miles with only one issue and then gave it to my brother. He drove it for another 50,000 and gave it to his brother. It is still alive and well with 300,000. Do you suppose people believe that?
    You are making a big assumption that this is a transmission problem. I don't know how this thing got the nickname "Lug Bug" but I don't think it is correct. If it was lugging, why can I hear the same sound (although not as pronounced) in park and in first gear? It may be related to the automatic transmission setup but it I don't think it is the transmission itself. I think it is just something resonating. I expect Honda to fix this or this would be my first and last Honda. It is that annoying to me and this is not the only problem I have had with this car.
  • mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    I almost bought CIVIC LX AT at 18K OTD, while at the dealership I tested an Accord VP.

For less than $1,000. The Accord and Camry are in higher class, more stable ride, better resale.

Is the main purpose that people buy Civic is because of :confuse: economy??
    Thanks alot Midnightcowboy, appreciated your advice.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The Civic gives you more equipment and much better gas mileage for around the same price.
    The Accord gives you a bigger car with less options for around the same price.
    You have to decide if you want or need the extra space of the Accord and don't care about the extra gas and the features you would need to give up to keep the price near a Civic.
  • vmarksthespotvmarksthespot Member Posts: 1
    Would it to be safe to plug a laptop into the accessory power socket in the 2006 Honda Civic? I'm not so great with conversions and even with the manual's explanation of what the socket can handle, am not sure. Thanks for your help.
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    I have a Chry.T/C van that has the lug bug at 1500 rpm. It's part of the characteristics of a 5speed overdrive tranny. It is annoying but I don't stay at that speed if I can help it. Hopefully Honda will get this problem fixed. I and others are waiting to see what they will do before we buy a Civic. Does anyone know if the Accord has this same problem? Any of you doing your own maintenance on your 06 civic?

We have a 05 Accord 5AT I4. No tranny issues other than a AT is awful in low hp and torque car. I got a 5MT in my 06 Civic. Thing wouldnt be fit to drive with a AT in it.

I do all my own maint. on the Civic, Accord and Ranger.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have done this on many other cars. I don't know why the Civic couldn't handle it.
    I almost bought CIVIC LX AT at 18K OTD, while at the dealership I tested an Accord VP.

For less than $1,000. The Accord and Camry are in higher class, more stable ride, better resale.

Is the main purpose that people buy Civic is because of economy??

As a owner of a 05 Accord EX Sedan 5AT, I4 and a 06 Civic EX Sedan, 5MT w/Navi. I can tell you the Accord is bigger and more plush. Gets 32 mpg on average. It can be hypermiled into the low 40 mpg area very easy. The 5AT works well by must folks standards. I find it to be a worthless slush box. And robs the fun factor right out of the car. The suspension in it is nothing short of wonderful. But not Camery or Buickish at all. The Civic is smaller and gets better mpg. Im averageing 37 mpg in the Civic. Its ride and manners are very Accordian like. Civic has a fun factor the Accord dosent have. I think must of the fun factor is lost in the 5AT in the Accord. I could have bought a Accord LXse Sedan with a 5MT for what I paided for the Navi Civic with a 5MT. We already had a Accord so I opted for the Civic. I think the Accord LXse Sedan 5MT is probley one of the best values on the market right now. The Accord has the room to put two car seats in the back to carry our two youngist grandchildren with room to spare. This can be done with the Civic. But its a chore and things get tight very fast. I myself would never buy a AT Civic and truthfully if the Accord was going to have been my car there wouldnt be a AT in it.

No matter what you choose enjoy your Hondas.

Civic
    Accord
    The Pair

Twos always better than one. ;)
  • vivanewjerseyvivanewjersey Member Posts: 4
    Thats a great comparision. Thank you for posting that as I was debating same issue. Was a EX Navi Civic with a 5MT to find? Would you mind saying what you paid and when? I am considering the exact same car(even color), but do not see any on the dealer lots. Also, I may only keep car for 3-4 years. Wondering if it will be much harder to resell 5MT than auto to people looking for sedans?
    Me too, I will give Honda few more months. If nothing happens. I will sell the car and never buying Honda again!
    Thats a great comparision. Thank you for posting that as I was debating same issue. Was a EX Navi Civic with a 5MT to find? Would you mind saying what you paid and when? I am considering the exact same car(even color), but do not see any on the dealer lots. Also, I may only keep car for 3-4 years. Wondering if it will be much harder to resell 5MT than auto to people looking for sedans?

The MT Navi Sedan Civic is rare. I was in the market for a Si. But when my dealer insisted on MSRP the deal fell apart. I will not pay MSRP for a car no matter what. I found this very strange of my dealer. There a discount dealer and very fare in priceing. My salesman called back and offered me the Navi Sedan at a good price so I took it. Had just came off the truck. I knew they would be rare. and as a result fun to own.

Its a common belief that MT tranny cars dont bring the resale of AT cars and fewer people want them. But they cost less also. I never worry myself with resale. I drive cars till theres not much left of them. The miles rack up very fast. I dont trade cars in either. I generaly give them away.

Civic: Thursday before Christmas I paid $19,128.00. That included dest. and doc. fee. Tag and tax is not part of a dealer price here.

Accord: Was purchased in late May 05 or early June. $21,214.00 OTD like above.

http://www.markroberts.com

Theres better prices to be had and much worse. I have no need to go anywhere else for my Honda purchase's. Prices include dest. Doc. fee is $49.00. Everytime Ive checked they have slaughtered TOV and Carsdirect. Ive known of many people that have driven in or flown in to purchase a car there. Some even on this board. They are also very fare with there hybrid priceing.

Good Day
    psy
  • fastzx3fastzx3 Member Posts: 6
    Most people dont know this but that Is very popular problem in 2.0 or smaller motors Thats why its named the lug bug, My 05 focus does this at about 1500, to 2000 Rpm every time with out a hitch> heres how you get your civic to do it, place the vehicle in park. very slowly rev the motor VERY slowing press the gas pedal. when you get to the 1500 range you will notice the car vibrates very gently and grrrs like everyone has been talking about. I reproduce this sound when ever I want on my focus as well as my friends 06 honda civc 2.0 It just harmonics of a small motor. Its very pronouced on the RSX for those who dont know your motor has been living In that car a for a while aka (k20).Bascally because the more HP the more It is pronounced. the RSX runs about 200hp the only reason the SI says 197 is because of new HP testing standards. Its nothing to worry about unless it gets deeper or more often then I would see a dealer. And I gurantee its not the torque converter everone thinks it is. Why would the car do it in park>? RSX never had one nor my focus. But agian REST easy many small cars do this and you will be a amazed that If you do what I told you the sound and vibration can be reproduced every time. I hope this post helped everyone out with the "problem" you thought you had. relax It harmonics!
    By the way the Civic 2006 is a 1.8L not a 2.0.

I could believe what you are saying about the vibration that some of us our hearing is an inherent engine sound. However, I have tried to reproduce it in neutral and in park and I just can't do it. Yes, I am doing it very very slowly and gently. Maybe the vibration is not as pronounced in park as it is in drive.

I have never heard of this before! I wonder why no one else has said it is natural vibration. I would think the salesman would tell me. Or the owner's manual would tell me. But they never did.

I previously owned an Audi A4 2002 with a 1.8 Litre engine. That sound/vibration never exhisted. That was a very quiet and smooth engine. Then again it was a different car and maybe the muffler was better or the car was better insultated so I didnt hear the vibration.

Perhaps a better muffler is all the Civic needs to get rid of this Vibration/sound at 1500rpm.

Still , I will mention it to my dealer on the first oil change. The dealers are just learning about this car also. Maybe in a couple of months, they will have heard about it and ivestigated it.
    Sorry, I don't buy the fact that this noise is normal. I understand harmonics and I understand that 4 cylinder engines aren't as smooth as a V6 would be. I agree that this problem is due to something resonating. However, the car manufacturer takes this into consideration when designing the car so that there isn't an obvious noise. It's part of designing a good car. You would have to hear the noise in my car to understand that it is a "problem". I have owned numerous cars with engines less than 2 litres and have never experienced such a noise.

By the way, the term "Lug Bug" implies that the engine is lugging due to the transmission being in too high of a gear. I don't think this is the case here as I can hear the noise in first as it goes through 1500 RPM.
    I empathise with you as well. I forget how many miles/km you have on your car. I think each cars vibration/noise is a bit different. Keep tuned to this message thread as I AM going to get to the bottom of this. I am still doing some searching myself. I am going to call and speak with the dealer over the phone to see if he has heard of this already. However, I will go back to the dealer for my first oil change and ask that the noise / vibration be checked at that time. The car currently has about 6oo miles on it so I won't be going back to the dealer yet..unless he tells me to on the phone. So ..let's just stay tuned. If your vibration is really really that bad and is very easily reproducible..then please call and then go to your honda dealer for a consulation at least. Just go and let them hear it for themselves and then let them decide what it might be. They can put it up on a hoist and check things underneath. Then let us know what you are going to do. Thanks
    I have already been to the dealer and he said they have had numerous complaints about this. He test drove my car along with another on the lot and heard the noise in both. Mine was louder than the one on the lot.

The dealer said that they are waiting for a fix from Honda and I have also spoken to Honda directly. They don't have a fix at this point.

I have about 4000 miles on my car and it isn't getting better!
  • pelliottpelliott Member Posts: 8
    Thanks sheldo1 for the update! By the way did the dealer let you know what the noise might be cause by?

Thanks
  • nollaignollaig Member Posts: 6
    Okay...I have a serious case of the vibes...originally between 29 and 39 @ 1500 rpm but now happens at 41mph as well. Basically, my problem has gotten worse (7000 miles). Because my coupe also had an oil leak, the dealer had a chance to address the supposed "belt torsioner cause". No difference. My problem, and I would assume those of you with the same problem, is not the belt torsioner. As I said earlier, I was told that it was the torque converter. Now, if you observe your tach as you drive you will see that Honda has tried to maximise the fuel efficiency of the Civic by keeping the the gear ratio as low as possible. I beieve that this problem is a direct result of that. This is electronic transmission which is controlled by programmed software. A software update is the obvious answer. However, what effect would this update have on the overall mpg rating of the vehicle thereby changing the overall characteristics of a car that has already won so many accolades? Enquiring minds want to know.

I have been assured by Honda that they are focused on this issue. It remains to be seen....
    nollaig

I have to agree with you about the part wher eyou say "Honda has tried to maximise the fuel efficiency of the Civic by keeping the the gear ratio as low as possible". I have noticed that while driving at city speeds, or maybe a little higher, that the rpm likes to drift back down towards 1500. And of course , that is where the damn vibration exists.

By the way, when you say you have been assured by Honda..what do you mean exactly. Do you have something in writing? or are you saying that it is what the dealer told you?

Thanks

I dont mind HOnda setting up the software such that we get good mileage, but what is it about the car that is causing this weird vibration in what is supposed to be a smoother engine?

As you said , we all have to wait and see as the dealerships get all the reports in about this problem.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Just curious, but does this vibration issue affect all automatic Civics, both the sedan and coupe? I have not heard of it being an issue on manual transmission Civics, which would include the Si, or on the (CVT) Hybrid.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Why would it happen with stick shifts? On those, you control the RPM. But it would be interesting to see if it happened with a stick shift at 1500 RPM.
  • fastzx3fastzx3 Member Posts: 6
    To further explian myself, the 06 SI is a 2.0 I know the 1.8 is the other styles,the motor in your A4 is very smooth indeed, eh um its a audi and we were on the subject of COMPACT ECONOS meaning Civic,focus,colbalt,ect I would be very hard pressed to find one of these entry level econs to not have vibration/resonance problems. the bottom line is my 05 focus does this, so does my co-workers 06 civic and my good buddys rsx. Ive heard this plenty of times. But hey were talking about machines your problem could be different. true that the 1.8's are having the problem and they are not 197hp. I guess only time will tell whats causing all the mayhem. It may be a problem but why havent heard of anything like this on my friends civic when driving it5,000 miles on the car and driven very hard. we both drive 100miles a day. Hopefully it stays that way. hey maybe were the one lucky 06 civic winner without a problem, as for the lug-bug part I also know this refers to the lugging on the trans-axle yet I include this wrong nick-name everyone else is using so other will understand what im talking about.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Please don't exclude this vibration problem could be caused by more than one reasons. It could be a combination of software problem and a faulty part. I feel the vibration on my car comes when the engine get warm up even at lower rpm. The vibration and noise gets stronger at 1500 rpm like everybody else. I think the source of the problem is caused by something else, the software problem is making it happens more often.
    Slight Correction

Junk_car_owner agree with nollaig who said:

"nollaig

I have to agree with you about the part where you say "Honda has tried to maximise the fuel efficiency of the Civic by keeping the the gear ratio as low as possible". "

Actually it is just the opossite, keeping the gear ratio as high or as tall as possible, which equates to a "low" final drive ratio number. Maybe that is what you are referring to, but a low gear ratio is like a 4:11 rear end with no overdrive.

I still contend a lot of the problem is using a high or tall final gear with a low torque engine which is why I coined the term "Lug Bug". The automatic shift algorith seems to shift into high gear at two low of RPM.

Good luck on getting the problem fixed; it could be as simple as a auto tarans program reflash. But alas I fear it will turn out to be a first year design issue that really won't be resolved until the 2007 model upgrades.

Cruis'n double six Hondas,

MidCow
    Yes MidCow, you are correct. Im not sure why I went along with that in the first place since it didn't really make sense. However, I think what nollaig may be saying is that he like me notices the rpm goes down to 1500 once you start cruising. Anyways that is besides the point here for now.

Once again on the work today I heard that grrrr noise and it made my dash vibrate. SO, now Im thinking its coming from the front of the car like the engine.

There are a lot of theories. I still think it will have to wait. Unitl dealers get a look. We are all speculating so far since there seeems to be many different answers to this from different people.

I don't know if this is just happening to the automatic cars or to MT also.

By the way, with the radio on...I probably would not have noticed this noise in the first place. But, I decided at around 800km (~500miles) to turn the radio off and just start listening to the sounds of the car for a while. That is when I first began hearing this groan/growl which occurs whenever the car is around 1500rpm. NOw, even the dash vibrated along with the noise.

I am still giving it all time before I talk with the dealership.
    I just called my dealership and described what I have heard in my car. I growling , grrr noise at about 1500 rpm whether or not the engine is hot or cold. I also said my dash vibrated and that I can hear this noise at any speed like when city driving. She said that they have not heard of this problem so far from anyone. She told me to drop by anytime to go for a test drive with a mechanic and that they would try to pin point the problem which. I am just not sure where this noise is originating from . Engine? Tranny? Muffler?

She said its normal for cold engines to make a kind of growling noise at start up but that it goes away as the engine warms up . However, I told her that this something completely different. She told me to drop by on Saturday. I will.
  • dlim899dlim899 Member Posts: 20
    Those are just planning! Nothing concrete is in the pipeline. As for 2006, production will not be increased. In matter of facts, as a dealer, we are seeing more and more civic productions coming from Japan not US. The US plant has been dedicated to the production of the new model Fit. So, for 2006, things will not be changing. Perhaps for 2007, we will see some increase in production.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Where have you heard that Fit will be produced here? Fit for the 2007 model year will only be produced in Japan. The latest info from Honda said that the Fit will only be produced here if the demand is significant enough and probably not until the next generation. The article says that the new supply for the Civic will come from Asia and the UK until increased capacity is in place in the US.
    Hi-

I remember said that in US, Civic are only equipped with Bridgestone tire, but mines as Goodyear tires and I bought it in Philadelphia, PA. Anyway, so my car is pretty good, just some minor scratches from wear and tear.

Cheers!
  • dlim899dlim899 Member Posts: 20
    Based on the info we have, Fit will be produced either in the US or Ontario, Canada plant. I will know for sure when we get the VIN# soon. Will update you guys later on. Most of the new production Civics are coming from Japan with some from Ontario. Majority of the vin# starts with "J" with some starting with "2".
This discussion has been closed.