Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    "Go drive a Rio and then even the DX looks like luxury"....are you kidding? The DX is about the most basic and standard feature free vehicle I've seen since the '53 Chevy. No standard A.C., no radio, no cruise control, no power locks,no remote entry. The cheapest new Rio has at least most of these things all for much less $$. In addition you are still paying a premium price just for owning a Honda. And it isn't always "the more you pay the more you get" I paid about the same price ($19,600)as a nice Sonata and got much less. No power seat, no traction control, no stability control, no climate control air, no leather(OK the slightly more expensive LX model has these), no larger more comfortable car, no 10 year warranty, etc. etc.
  • Options
    Almost all cases of unintended acceleration..where a vehicle seems to have a mind of its own and violently accelerates have been attributed to unconciously placing ones foot on both the brake AND accelerator at the same time. One other cause was found to be a floor mat jammed under the accelerator. This almost ruined Audi a few decades ago and drivers swore the car drove through garage walls..into other vehicles etc on its own. Further scientific investigation never did find a mechanical reason for this behavior and concluded it was operator error. I am not saying this was the case for you but I have actually done this...the car revved to about 3000RPM and I dropped it into gear not knowing it was MY car roaring until it lurched forward.I swore it was a car behind me revving loudly.
  • Options
    mrcavemanmrcaveman Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2006 LX and have had similar problems. I start my car, give the engine a few seconds for the idle to come down, place the car in reverse. As the car is backing out of the garage, foot off the accelerator, all of a sudden it accelerates on its own. Now to fast but I still have to touch the brake to slow it down. This has happened about 4 times. I'm very watchful of this now. Its seems to only occur when the car is cold and not up to operating temp. If it continues I will bring it to the attention of the dealer.

CP
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Not quite. The cheapest Rio doesn't even have power steering, let alone A/C, radio, cruise, and remote entry. But then it costs much less than the Civic DX--and it should.
  • Options
    aaajaaaj Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a Civic with the same features. 19,128 is a steal. How did you get that price??? Did you buy in California?
  • Options
    You are correct and I should have checked before shooting off my mouth. The cheapest Rio has NOTHING standard but costs $11,310 with shipping. The LX with "power package" adds all those things lacking on the DX Civic plus more and it costs $15,035. In any case I stand corrected, the winner for the most basic car seems to be the Kia Rio. Who would want either the DX Civic or it??? Well, I guess somebody who would rather buy a basic new car rather than used...not me however.
  • Options
    slowpedalerslowpedaler Member Posts: 62
    If this is happening only when the car is cold it is because the car idles at a higher rpm to aid warm-up. You always have to watch for unexpected acceleration if you're trying to drive an automatic stone cold. If you start the car and sit for a minute you will notice the revs come down. All cars should be run for at least 30 seconds before driving off, then run gently for the first few minutes.
  • Options
    psypsy Member Posts: 122
    "I am looking to buy a Civic with the same features. 19,128 is a steal. How did you get that price??? Did you buy in California?"

I bought it from a small town dealer in Oklahoma outside of Tulsa. Its now called Honda of Bartlesville. They are a very fare dealer. I snaped it up. A Sedan 5MT w/Navi. Sold!!!!
  • Options
    psypsy Member Posts: 122
    Our 05 Accord 5AT will do that. Start it up cold, drop it into D or R and hang on. Really its not that bad,,, its just cold high idle. Keep a foot over the brake and it will drop to standard idle soon enough.
  • Options
    warnerwarner Member Posts: 196
    I have a 2006 LX and have had similar problems. I start my car, give the engine a few seconds for the idle to come down, place the car in reverse. As the car is backing out of the garage, foot off the accelerator, all of a sudden it accelerates on its own. Now to fast but I still have to touch the brake to slow it down. This has happened about 4 times. I'm very watchful of this now. Its seems to only occur when the car is cold and not up to operating temp. If it continues I will bring it to the attention of the dealer.

CP

CP, I bet you are slightly turning the steering wheel when this happens? A while ago there was a discussion on here about the electronic steering having this effect. My EX does the same thing. You can test it yourself....just leave the car in park and slightly turn the wheel back and forth while watching the tach....you'll see the RPM's climb as you turn the wheel. That's what's happening.

Hope this helps,

Warner
  • Options
    doan4udoan4u Member Posts: 105
    I went with the LX. It in my price range. It equipted what I want into the vehicle with electronic wise. There are other accessory Honda have for the vehicle. But it not equipted with LX or EX. I prefer a breathing room for other "accessory" for my vehicle later on. Some claim adding other electronic ( third party)will degrade the value of the vehicle. That 100% False in my opinion. The well-equip the vehicle is. The VALUE always increase in the Civic. ;) That if you keep well maintenance for that car.
  • Options
    Strictly speaking I DO think the extra money spent for the EX over the LX is well worth it. However, I do not think Honda even has the need to sell the DX any more(if it ever did)..the new Fit overlaps that price point and is much more nicely equipped for the money and that is keeping within the Honda nameplate. If you venture outside Hondaworld there are other better equipped cars for the same money or less.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    It seem that you all the way with Honda products. I understand you. Curious, do you wear Honda hat too (humor). :P Yet, I betcha majorities buyer will fit their Honda with other electronic and accessories in the future or present. The price (accessory) is much cheaper than Honda. Funny speaking, the chat host just informed us who pimp there Honda. I have seen alot Honda equip or custom fit with other gadget. It look more cool than ordinary look. I don't like when someone over done or pimp there ride. I agree with you about DX model. ;) :shades:
  • Options
    Nope, this Civic is my first Honda product and I'll tell you I am moderately disappointed. It has several problems and, in my opinion, various shortcomings. OK, nothing is critical but....ain't Honda supposed to be perfect? That is what I have always heard from everyone: owners..to almost every car magazine...to everybody on sites like this...to all types of surveys like JD Powers. I like it but do I LOVE it? Nah...so I most certainly don't wear a Honda hat, actually I dislike hats.
  • Options
    This my first Honda too. I'm not satisfy with everything on my vehicle. I read auto magazine and online. It seem everyone satisfy the quality of the vehicle. Remember, we are in a special breed of owner. This is a new look of the vehicle. I assume problems would come into this situation. I don't think Honda, Toyota, etc.. going to be perfect. I'm worry more, when I have to take my car to the dealership for the 1st time oil change this Sat. I don't trust the people that fix or maintenance my car. Maybe the past experience make me feel this way. I heard or read somewhere, when they find a defect or problems. they would leave a marking (scatch on it) to indicate future visit. I hope this NOT true. I'm very keen every inch of my vehicle.

Since i got back from the war in Iraq 1991.My best vehicle was a Toyota Corrolla 1991. It been stolens, hijack, torch, bullet riddle with 18 bullet. It run Perfectly til i purchase this new Honda civic 2006. What a adventure!!! Don't live in that bad neighborhood no more. :P

Glad you don't wear Honda hat. ;)
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Targettuning and doan4u,

Why would anyone buy a first year car? Even Honda has some issues to work out the first year they put out a new car!

At least it is not as bad as the Edsel or the Yugo or the first Hyundais or the Daewoo?

Next time you buy a car, remember not to buy the first year of a new model introduction LOL.

Motor On,

MidCow
  • Options
    brodie2brodie2 Member Posts: 32
    When was the 2006 civic released?
  • Options
    sheldo1sheldo1 Member Posts: 64
    Midnightcowboy,

You are correct. I guess I just thought Honda would be different. Now I know they are nothing special.
  • Options
    Here is another site where you can also read more about the 2006+ or 8th generation civic. There is a thread about the vibration noise at 1500 rpm.

http://www.8thgencivic.com/forums/
  • Options
    emloemlo Member Posts: 7
    On Saturday I am picking up my new 06 Civic EX (one had to be located for me, although I test drove one a couple months ago). After reading these posts, I'm now somewhat nervous about quality, quirks, problems. :lemon: ??? Right now I drive a 97 Honda Civic LX approaching 167k and no major problems (don't drive it hard, it's serviced regularly, it's a J-Vin so it's actually made in Japan, right?). The plan is to give my husband the 97. Or should I keep it and give him the new Civic???? My new car's Vin doesn't start with a "J" but rather a "1H"--anyone know what that means?? :confuse:
  • Options
    bman64bman64 Member Posts: 14
    J = Japan

1 = Ohio

2 = Canada

Your car was built in the good ol' USA. :shades:

If you give your new '06 to your hubby he'll surely be grateful, and you'll be missing out. :cry:

Very happy with my '06 LX sedan (built in Ohio too), after almost 2500 miles things are looking just fine. ;)
  • Options
    well maybe I will try out the new 06 first and then see what happens!! I have seen so many posts about the "lug bug" and other idiosyncrasies/problems (my EX is an AT). I can't help but wonder that, since I have been told by the dealer that there is such a shortage of 06 Civics (LXs and EXs) production is being rushed and maybe quality control not so tight.

I'm all for supporting jobs here--that actually was a factor in my car search. I was looking at the Mercury Milano but they're made south o' the border--not that they don't need jobs, but my goal is to support as many US workers in the chain of production as possible. Which, as I'm writing this, poses a question: when a US automaker (e.g., Ford) exports these jobs, is it typically assembly only, or are parts also manufactured outside too? :confuse:
  • Options
    Well, in my case I bought it because fuel prices had hit $3.00/gal for the first time...I owned an SUV (Hyundai Santa Fe which I liked very much)and the perceived value AND trade price for that type of vehicle were going down fast. I received what I thought was a good deal..I loved the styling (still do)...I never much gave the "first year" thing much thought considering it was a Honda after all...there was uncertainty about future gas prices.... so, all things considered, I jumped at the deal. Now that I have had some hindsight would I do that again? Maybe not, my first choice in replacing the Santa Fe before gas took off was a 2006 Hyundai Sonata V-6 and I think I will still get one to replace our aging '95 Stratus.
  • Options
    danita0519danita0519 Member Posts: 1
    I, too, am a first time Honda buyer. I have been driving an SUV which I loved (sigh), but due to increasing fuel prices I had to get something different. I researched and shopped. I have always been a "Ford" girl but....with all my research it lead me to the Honda. I needed something to get me through the snow in the winter (I live in NE OH) I needed something that I could drive without filling the tank every other day. The dealership was great. They answerd all my questions. It took about 2 weeks to make my decision. Any complaints? ABSOLUTELY NOT.. I love my car. I purchased an '06 EX I get lots of great compliments. It is a sexy sedan for a sexy young grandmother!!!!
  • Options
    You know how it is. I assume Honda is good car. I envy having the first new vehicle. I test drive it, guess I didn't drive far enough. I didn't know this forum exist til afterward.
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Brodie asked "When was the 2006 civic released?" The Civic 2006 model is a completely new design as the 8th generation Civic and most models were released in September 2005. The hybrid was about a month later and the Si model was released in December 2005. The 2006 is the first year for this 8th model generation of Civic. The 2007 Civic will be the second year for the 8th generation Civic and should have most of the minor issues corrected; the 2007 model should be available in September 2006.

Good Luck,

MidCow
  • Options
    matthocmatthoc Member Posts: 1
    We are from Oregon and have been looking at the 06 Civic EX Auto with Navigation in Galaxy Gray or Silver. The dealers are telling us we would have to order one (for any color) and it would be September before delivery. They also said we could come in next month and order one, which would be a 2007? When do the 2007's start arriving at dealer’s sept/oct? Is anyone else having trouble finding an EX Auto with a navigation system? I am almost tempted to wait and order a 2007 next month. What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    just out of curiosity - wasn't this the first year for the 06 sonata body style as well?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The current Sonata debuted in Korea in late 2004, and in the U.S. in early 2005.
  • Options
    medic4txmedic4tx Member Posts: 18
    I just traded an 06 Sonata Gls for a 06 Civic. I do not regret this descion at all. :)

The Sonata was nice on trips but for day to day drving to work it gave me about 20.4 mpg with 70% highway and the rest city.

The Civic on the other hand on my most recent fill up gave me 31mpg. I drove 205 miles on a half of tank and only used 6.6 gallons. I just came back from a recent trip and averaged 39-40 mpg with the AC on most of the time.

Sure all cars will have issues. For example my Sonata had warped rotors that were replaced at 200 miles, driver door would not shut, rattles in front of dashboard and in the rear, brakes the would squeal when in reverse, and the most talked about on the Sonata forum; the sloshing of gas in the gas tank.

I am 100% pleased with my CIVIC purchase. I hope others will fair as well as I did. :shades:
  • Options
    tyggertygger Member Posts: 59
    There are many reasons why one would buy a first year car. In my case, my old car broke down and the repairs would cost more than it's worth. I needed a car now... and out of the cars available today, I decided on buying the civic because I felt like it was the best value.
  • Options
    kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    I bought the first year civic because my 05 subaru impreza OBS was t-boned and had 14k worth of damage. When I got it back, it was not the same and the front end was making way to much noise. I did not feel safe.

Eventhough my 06 LX has a few little issues, nothing serious enough to really bother me, I love it and the mileage compared to my subaru is much better.
  • Options
    amrit123amrit123 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I bought new 2006 Honda Civic EX few days back and I notice the click sound due to engagement of AC compressor unit, I am concerned it engages and disengages about 4-5 times in a minute specially at night, please suggest is this normal, during day it engages and disengages about 3-4 times a minute.

I appreciate any response.

Thanks
  • Options
    warnerwarner Member Posts: 196
    well maybe I will try out the new 06 first and then see what happens!! I have seen so many posts about the "lug bug" and other idiosyncrasies/problems (my EX is an AT). I can't help but wonder that, since I have been told by the dealer that there is such a shortage of 06 Civics (LXs and EXs) production is being rushed and maybe quality control not so tight.

I've had my '06 Civic EX with automatic for almost 15,000 miles now and I can't say that I'm disappointed in the least. I drive it fairly hard and have been getting tank averages of 32-33 mpg. The "lug bug" issue I think is overstated. I'd be surprised if you notice anything when you're driving the car. I do have ONE complaint, and only one. It may sound trivial, but it has to do with the radio in the car. I forgot what they call it, but there is a setting on it that will adjust the volume of the radio as the car increases or decreases speed. I hate this feature....it doesn't take anything into account except for speed and it doesn't work very well. You CAN turn it off very easily, but then the radio won't go as loud as it would at highway speeds as it would when the feature is turned on. Weird. But please don't be worried that you'll be disappointed. You won't. I traded in an '04 LX 5-speed on this car and would NOT want to go back to it.

Warner
  • Options
    Yes, no surprise the Civic will get better fuel economy than a larger more powerful car. But, the Sonata has, as I said, much more standard equipment, better ride, more space, better warranty. Speaking of warranty why didn't you use it to try to resolve some of the relatively minor issues? Anyhow, as I also said I am not "in love" with the Civic. Since it is nearly $20K AND a Honda I expected more..
  • Options
    The AC is a "demand" item. In other words if it is 95 degrees out and you demand a 70 degree interior temperature it will cycle (the clicks as the compressor engages and disengages) often, but the compressor also runs for a longer period than at night when it may be only 65 degrees out. All things being equal hotter daytime temps cause more frequent cycling with a longer run time. So compressor cycling is normal.
  • Options
    As far as the overstating of the harmonic vibration commonly known as "lug bug" I notice it and since others here have commented on it too it seems to be fairly common on at least early built cars. Others notice it too. I paid 20K for the car (the ragged top end for a Civic sized car) and I certainly didn't expect odd and unexplained noises on this my first Honda. It may be overstated if your particular car doesn't have it otherwise it isn't overstated at all... it is an unresolved irritant. This coupled with a right rear suspension noise which I feel is a faulty shock (another item mentioned by several here) I remain less than impressed by Honda.
  • Options
    My faulty shock was easily replaced and was obviously from a bad batch delivered to Honda. I don't think that's a big deal. The lug bug sounds like a bigger deal to me [I have M/T]. I think the A/T is trying to save gas by lugging the motor to an rpm range it doesn't want to operate in. If I drive off in my M/T at 1500 rpm my whole car fills up with noise and vibrates. Honda needs to fix that for you auto folks.
  • Options
    It isn't that we automatic owners are forcing our cars to operate in a "too low an RPM range for the road speed and transmission gear" range because in addition to the fact that the car will automatically downshift if it doesn't like RPM verses speed verses gear selected it will also make that peculiar noise just passing through 1500 RPM in any gear. By necessity the car speed is below about 40 or so to do that so lugging the engine isn't it.
    Regarding the shock, easily fixed yeah but I still don't like it. Is there some recall to fix these? Honda should be aware that they did receive a bad batch and should be able to figure a range of serial numbers affected. As it stands now I will have to prove to my dealers satisfaction that the thing IS faulty and there is nothing I like more than being told "they all do that"!!
  • Options
    Check this site out and you will find more information about hondas vtec than you care about. But it does expain alot. Much infor. Hope this helps.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=881516&lastnode_id=124
  • Options
    I've been in possession of my new Civic and have driven it the last 4 days. So far, so good! What, exactly, is the "lug bug" thing and is it only on ATs?

My only major complaint is the lack of comfort w/ the seat and headrest (both of which have been adjusted numerous times--and I've adjusted the steering column too) and I didn't notice this when test driving the vehicle. :( The car handles bumps pretty well but my only comparison is w/ my 97 civic. When the sunroof or windows are open, it is somewhat noisy. The radio volume reducer thing-y hasn't bothered me yet. The car's logged only 388 miles and it's first big trip is to the Adirondacks this weekend. So we'll see how it does (& we'll get to try the A/C) Do i have to turn the A/C off when climbing hills? I had to do that w/ my 97 civic.
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Our Civic has only 4,500 on the odometer. We always turn the fuel cap to click several times after fueling.

Last night suddenly I realise a message on the odometer screen saying "CHECK FUEL CAP".

Before heading to my dealer, does this make any sense to anybody? Has anybody here ever had such a message?
  • Options
    The "lug bug" is a vibration/resonance that occurs at around 1400-1500 RPM. On my car the noise is most prevalent when driving in 5th gear. I think the term "Lug Bug" is in my mind a misnomer as I can hear the noise in other gears as the engine passes through 1500 rpm. Early on, someone named it "lug bug" so it stuck. In my car the noise is very noticable and very annoying. If you don't easily hear it you probably don't have it. I hope Honda did a running change to fix the problem.
  • Options
    sidbsidb Member Posts: 26
    I have found that my new Honda Civic LX , does give a jerk 10 times out of 100 when i move the stick from P to R, (or from P to D , but the jerk occurs when it moves to R) even at low RPM. The jerk is also accompnied by a low noise.
    I am very unhappy , i am not sure whether i should take it to a dealer .
    Very Sad, My first Honda and i am not at all happy
  • Options
    Not only do I hope they(Honda) did a running change but found a solution for those of us lucky enough to have this annoyance. Do you think anyone will officially tell us if they did??
  • Options
    I realize I'mtrying to address a problem I don't have but, In my manual Coupe I find it just about impossible to get any power in any gear below 2000 rpm [although it's better now with intake installed]. Is the automatic Civic trying to shift at 1500 or below? There's no power down there and it's just going to stress the motor. I noticed in my owner's manual that the A/T has a D3 position which prevents the car from shifting into 4th or 5th gear. Will that prevent "lug bug" around town?

I'm not trying to say it's not a problem. I'm trying to narrow the problem down so y'all can explain it to your dealers. I always have more luck with mechanics when I can say, "Here's what it's doing, here's why I think it's doing it."
  • Options
    Slowpedaler
    Thanks for trying even though you don't have the problem. I think the problem is there at 1500 rpm no matter what gear you are in. I think being in high gear and the fact that the car doesn't downshift quickly only accentuates it. My dealer is well aware of the problem and has had numerous complaints. They (and Honda) just don't have a fix for it yet. Also, I don't think D3 is a good solution as I think it would affect fuel economy.

Targettuning
    I too am hoping there is a fix for us "lucky ones". I have a case number with Honda so I assume that I would be notified. I doubt there will be a general announcement so you should probably register a complaint with Honda if you haven't already.
  • Options
    medic4txmedic4tx Member Posts: 18
    It means that the fuel cap is not closed all the way. I would check the cap again and make sure that it did not cross thread when you put it on. The dealer told me to make sure it felt solid when screwed on and I got at least 3 clicks.
  • Options
    hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    for what its worth - i have a '99 odyssey as well as the 06 civic - when the previous generation odyssey came out in '99, a lot of people had this clunk when shifting into reverse - and i'm not sure if there is a relation to this - but honda replaced alot of transmissions on the odyssey. i never had the "clunk" until i hit about 70K, but they ended up replacing my transmission as well. its one of the main reasons i bought a manual transmission.... my point being, yes, tell your dealer about it. get whatever proof - a number or whatever - that you complained about it.

slowpedaler - tell us about your intake - who made it - easy to install? - what effect did it have on performance - was it worth the price, etc... i was thinking about doing this too. (WE ARE THE SPANISH INQUISITION!! for you monty python fans out there)
This discussion has been closed.