Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• 2006civiclx2006civiclx Member Posts: 13
    Dear doan4u,

The remote trunk release is a standard feature for 2006
    Civic EX, if you go to the Honda Web Site, the EX feature
    listing as following:

"Remote entry system with trunk release"

As far as I can tell the trunk lid and all the hardwares
    related to the trunk are identical between LX and EX.
    However, I have not checking into the wiring in more
    details or checking with the dealer.

By the way, I ordered the hood lining (aka hood insulator)
    available for the EX and installed it for my LX, this
    lining should help in protecting the hood from the heat
    generated by the engine & also filter out some engine
    noises.

Regards,

2006civiclx
  • doan4udoan4u Member Posts: 105
    Hi 2006civiclx,

Ooooppp, Sorry, i should have read your message more careful.

I thought we were talking about a wireless key remote for the trunk. :P

True, the remote trunk release is a standard for LX and EX. Are you saying your LX don't have remote "trunk release"? I do have one. I'm little confuse with the locking mechanism. I assume, it part of the vehicle.

How much is the hood lining?

Thanks
    Dear doan4u,

Yes, I am talking about the wireless key remote for the
    trunk release, and not about the push/pull handle inside
    the car, as a matter of fact, this morning at a parking
    lot of our local supermarket, I saw a lady with her Civic
    EX using the remote for the trunk.

About the hood insulator, the part number is 74141-SNA-A00
    and cost $78.17 before tax and or shipping/handling fee.

Regards,

2006civiclx
    Haha,

If we talking about wireless key remote for the trunk. It not a standard for EX and LX sedan. I know in Canada the wireless key remote is a standard. In the US the Si Civic do have it.

Wooow, the problems is program the key with the wireless OEM remote.I wonder if we could just purchase the part at the dealership and program the key. Something we could investigate into the matter. Yet, for some crazy reason. I have a bad feeling it not going to work. :confuse:

I think it would be cheaper to upgrade the alarm system w/trunk remote.
  • atlratlr Member Posts: 22
    I am wondering the same thing 10 months later - when will VSA be offered on a US Civic?

Are UK features an indication of what the 2007 model will have?

The UK Civic has VSA as standard equipment as shown in this link. This link has all sorts of animation - sit back and relax and it will eventually navigate to the VSA option.
    http://www.honda.co.uk/car/?sectionID=_hce_civic06_explore_safety_vehiclestabili- tyassistvsa
    An answer is on this Honda news release.
    http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2000?mid=2006062267961&mime=asc

Only the Civic Si will have VSA in model year 2007.

Bah.
    Hello doan4u,

Per you recent post, I also interested at the door sill
    plates with the Civic logo. Can you tell me where did you
    purchase the door sill plates and how much?. Thanks

Have a great weekend,

2006civiclx
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    This is a very nice Honda of Australia accessory. At least one American Honda dealer that I know of is planning to import and sell them here. That dealer is College Hills Honda (collegehillshonda.com) and according to their parts manager they hope to have them sometime this month but not yet. If you wish to see them go to Honda of Australia and narrow your search to Civic accessories. They come in both dark and light gray and are for the front door sills only. Projected cost for the pair is unknown but I have heard figures around $80.00
    Haaa! It in Canada, I like Mugen products better!
    Note: It in Canadian dollar. I don't think I could post location and address.

Go this website and get the address and phone number, battleendless.com

There quote for me.
    "For the price of B-pillar decals $40 cdn/ Mugen style window visors $129 cdn and the door sill plate with CIVIC logo $89 cdn. We have all in stock now and please let me know if you’re interested to place an order!"
    Great!! freedom of choice no less...but the Australian part is a Honda designed part and will fit properly, so for you Mugan(?)a company with I am not too familiar and which you obviously sell is good. I'll stick with the official Honda part.
    Mugen is Japanese products that was imported from Japan. There products are made pacific for Honda and Toyota. They do make for other import vehicle too. The Australian parts is made for Australia Honda model. Too bad that all Honda model don't look or shape the same ways. U.S Honda dealership are testing there products to make sure it fit U.S models. But note: Not all there products do fit all U.S. Honda car right now. I know the fact that the visor do fit U.S car.

They are not OEM Honda parts, but Mugen product are more close to OEM Honda than Australian. ;)

picture:
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    here is my brief review of my GF's civic. we drove it for 1200 mile so far. it's a nice little car with good looks but there are many room for an improvement.

1. i'm not too satisfied with the fit and finish. it's honda and i expected better from them. a panel below the steering wheel is misaligned, windshield wiper makes noise, and the back seat window seal(rubber thingy) sticks out a little. also rear pumper on the right sticks out more than the left side. i would say 7.5 in build quality. i don't like the heavy hood, and i'm scared to close it after opened. it's very very heavy.

2. vibration, and A/C noise too often too loud.
    3. radio-sound quality is not as good, and AM is very bad. our focus zx3 had much better radio quality.
    4. noise when i drive backward. sounds annoying and very loud. never occured with our other cars.
    5. tan cloth. although it looks very good, i'm little worried that it would be very hard to take care of it. both driver and passenger side is getting dirtier, and stain(already!) is very hard to remove. we should've bought the grey interior. we were forced to put an aftermarket car seat over them.

6. i don't like the location of the parking break. my right thigh is leaned against it often, and it's very uncomfortable.

7. i hate openinig the trunk manually. wish i had the remote trunk lock button like all other cars. i have never driven a car without this feature. this feature should be available to all cars like all TV should have remote control.

8. the last 2 fuel bars are acting very weird. the orange indicator comes on when you are down to 2 bars. few miles later suddenly the both bars disappears for awhile. then 10-20 miles later 1 last bar comes on. it kinda freaks me out because i've ran out of gas before with my other cars, and not a pleasant experience.

9. finally
    i'm thoroughly disappointed with MPG. we avg. so far around 24.6mpg(50/50) the best was 28mpg(30/70), and the worst was 22.5mpg just my last pump. i don't drive fast where there aren't much traffic. also i try to limit use of AC and i never drive past 70 on highway. but still only get less than 25. with the way i drive i expected at least 33mpg. and even if after 5000 miles, i don't think it will ever avg. 33mpg unless it's non stop high way cruise.
    Not to put too fine a point on it but the Australian parts are O.E.M. designed and sold at Honda dealers...only in Australia. Unless the Australian version has a completely different body style (with the exception of right hand drive) they will fit fine. However if for some unknown reason they won't work in the US I will look into your part.
    I would like to reply to a couple of your points. First, let me say I am not a rabid Honda fan. This Civic is my first Honda and I have experienced some problems but....
    1.) the hood is about 2 square feet in size, not really, but very small relatively speaking and is very light. I can only assume you are joking when you state it isn't only heavy but very...very heavy. Try hoisting any large SUV hood which weighs about as much as the whole Civic! I would tend to agree the build quality isn't what I expected. In my case it wasn't misaligned parts but faulty shocks, both rears were leaking.
    2.) AC does seem to cycle quite a bit but it was 90 degrees on Sunday when we took ours on its first road trip. Over-all not as consistantly cold as domestic cars. F.M. reception is OK, about as good as can be expected with an embedded antenna. AM also seems OK.
    3.) How much driving do you do in reverse? A joke..you do not state if it is a manual or automatic but our automatic is quiet for the short periods needed to back up.
    4.) light colored interior...well it will always be harder to keep clean than darker interior. No surprise there and your choice initially.
    5.) The parking brake..I don't know how you are able to contort your legs to be able to both drive AND have your leg bump into the parking brake handle. I am 6 feet and don't come close to contact with it during normal driving. I have heard this complaint before so one time actually tried to both drive and have my leg contact the handle, no luck!!
    6.) EX sedan has a remote trunk release on the fob so I can only conclude you don't have one. Blame Honda there for cheaping out on lesser models.
    7.) I cannot verify the action of the "low fuel" warning bars...the red/orange ones. I have experienced them coming on but didn't drive too far before refilling. I will say that there was at least 1-1/2 gallons left at that point so that should get you to a station. It is, after all, a warning indicator.
    8.) Ah yes fuel economy. Ours gets a consistant 24-25 in around town driving with no road trips. We do not live in a large city but rather a smaller one without a whole lot of gridlock. As noted we took ours on the first road trip on Sunday. All interstate...cruise set at 71 but exceeded that for short periods. AC on the whole time (it was 90 deg.) 233 miles @ 6.22 gallons = 37.459 MPG (it showed 1 bar under 1/2 tank). I am happy with this and expect 40 might be possible. So, with just the one road trip the average would be 31 (our 25 town and the 37 highway) and I feel this is realistic.
    They might be OEM for Australian Honda. But created by third parties. I like their visor myself, but like Mugen visor more. Believe me, the specification of foreign Honda is different every ways. It does look some similaries when you look at it. The only close model might be in Mexico and Canada. The only product that been test by US Honda dealership is the visor, nose shield, bumber protection rug, and some miscellaneous interior parts. The ONLY product that they test and seem to work was the visor and protective rug. The discrepancy might be less than an inch or so with other parts.

P.S. If you look at collegehillshonda.com video on the visor. They state the same opinion :P ;)
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    well i'm just being picky here. so i have something to write about.

1. the hood is a heavy compared to other cars i've owned. at least it 'feels' heavy. and also don't like the way i have to slam it to close it. wish i can just let it go to close it.

2. i drive reverse all the time. my apartment has very long and narrow parking lot and i always miss the parking space. so i have to R rather than 3 point turn. it's quiet annoying when you have to drive backward more than 200-300 ft. and it's very loud(high pitch) compared to other cars i've owned.

3. when i'm paying 19k for a car(i bought it for my GF), i expect it to have a keyless trunk lock!! no excuse for that.

4. about the parking break, i have a very long leg, and it was my knee(not thigh) touching the parking break. happens only when i cruise. it looks very good there, but i wish i had a little bit more leg room.
  • jeff909jeff909 Member Posts: 1
    I got the one's from Honda Australia. They worked out beautful and are OEM parts made in Japan for there market. They are also on the Honda Japan website.There both nice but there's only one OEM.image
  • roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    How come nobody's mentioned the sad, sad horn?
    It sounds like it could be the AFLAC duck farting. I know it's a small car, but all the more reason to be able let someone know, "HERE I AM you selfish road hog. Don't squish me!"
    The first time I had to use it (a woman tried to turn onto the the road in front of me when she was at a red light), I was shocked that the woman actually heard the horn and stopped. The horn sounded like a duck who had chowed on a bean burrito.
    It's not even like it's a "cute" sounding horn. It's just sick and puny.
  • kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    That truely made me laugh "AFLAC duck farting". The horn is pretty sad though and here on LI, NY i use it as much as I do the blinkers.

Honda civic and corollas always have puny sounding horns, what can ya do?
    Nice!!!! :P
    Yeahhhh, Our Civic horn do sound whimpy. I plan to install a new improve loud horn when I purchase a fog light for my Civic.
    1.)I hate to belabor the point but the 2006 Civic hood is about the shortest and smallest I have ever seen...much shorter than anything I have ever owned. As a result I feel it is very light...maybe that is why you feel the need to slam it to latch. I must admit I do not slam my hoods either so mine must close easily without a slam because it is a non-issue for me.
    2.) I do not have drive in "R" that far but as noted the automatic we own is quiet. Maybe a manual transmission Civic whines more..in my experience with manual transmissions they do tend to whine in "R".
    3.) What model is a GF? U.S. models = DX...LX...EX..Hybrid.
    4.) OK various physical configs. could have a problem there I'm alright with it. Like the interior color choice it is something to think about prior to purchase.
    doan4u
    Let us know how the horn replacement goes. I'm real interested in an "upgrade." Thanks.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    2006 EX Sedan. Drove it, listened for suspension rattles, couldn't figure out how to even see if the shocks were leaking, the doors seemed aligned pretty good. The undercoating looked sloppy. Guess I'm buyin it. Hope the darn thing is reliable - wife and 9 week old baby are driving it to Virginia tomorrow - YIKES.
    Please comment on how the interior fabric and trim is holding up in the 2006 EX sedan that you have been driving for awhile, say greater than 5000 miles.

Do you have the Ivory or Gray interior?
  • 85crx85crx Member Posts: 10
    I have the '06 EX sedan with the gray interior, and it seems to be holding up just great. I just hit 10,000 miles; bought one of the very first '06s last fall (Japan built model). I'd have to say the seats in this car are the most comfortable and supportive seats I've ever sat in.
    It has its share of rattles and other annoyances, but I keep on the dealer to fix them and so far it's been a really great car. I just put in an XM Roady XT via the aux-in jack and it sounds great. No, I wasn't about to spend upwards of $800 for the dealer add-in XM unit. My Roady cost all of $50.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I've owned 2 Corolla's and a Nissan Sentra and my new '06 LX sedan has outstanding low end torque...and the engine has a sweet sound as it clicks through the gears, unlike any car I've owned recently. The wife's 3s is very much the same...just quicker. And I did see a spy shot of the new Corolla and it looks like it'll be a nice looking vehicle...very Toyotaish. Which is a good thing.
    All of us economy car buyers are very lucky as there are many cars for every taste and budget. And the better gas mileage is just the icing on the cake!

The Sandman :):)
    I should have specified that both cars I mention both my wife corolla and my civic at AT trannies.

For both of these auto's the corolla no doubt has much better low end grunt. If you drive one right after the other like I can, there is a big difference.

No biggie though.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    For both of these auto's the corolla no doubt has much better low end grunt. If you drive one right after the other like I can, there is a big difference.

The problem in the current Corolla could be solved by a new driving position. It is horrible if you are over 5'10"! My girlfriend's 2004 LE is awful to drive, not because of the dynamics, which are boring at best, and a little numb in the steering department, but because of the awkward strecthing I have to do from my seat to the steering wheel. She also experienced a problem with a warped steering column that caused the steering wheel to lock up on I-65 at 65 MPH...can you say PANIC!? It was fixed under warranty, but it was a fault that could've killed her.

Also, above 4,000 RPM, the engine gets downright buzzy compared to the Honda I-4 IMO. Good ride, though, you are right...the Corolla rides more smoothly than my 2006 Accord EX, but it is so boring to drive that my Accord feels like a race car by comparison.

I hope this won't be taken as a hard knock on the Corolla, because it is solid (with the exception of the sunroof's incessant rattling), delivers 31MPG with my leadfooted gf driving (35 MPG with me), and has decent around town driving characteristics...I can't speak for reliability, since this is the one Corolla I have experience with, and it had the steering problem (likely an anomoly).
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We were a Toyota family for many years, but the cars were flat out boring...a great appliance none the less though. With our current rides, that boringness is gone...totally! The Mazda 3s is just a blast to drive & the Civic is actually fun. It's got plenty of low end grunt for whatever situation I throw at it, and with almost 1k on the odometer, my mostly city driving is racking up a consistent 31 to 33 mpg's. I've only had it on the expressway a few times, maybe an hour total. I really need to get it out there for a more extended highway trip soon.
    Any idea about when I should do the 1st oil change?

The Sandman :):)
  • texastownhalltexastownhall Member Posts: 22
    I like Honda products (owned Civic, Accord, Integra, and even a lawn mower).

Personally, I like the Civic. It is a great car. But, I just don't understand the price for the Civic.

For argument sakes, let's say Civic is indeed a better car than Corolla. It it worth the extra $2500-3000? After all, most people looking at Civic (other than reliability) is for the reasonably priced, fun economy car.

Even comparing to its brother Accord, as Accord are sold closer to its invoice and Civic hovering near MSRP, about for $500-$1000 more you get a bigger, more comfortable car.

I want to stay with Honda product and somewhat frugal by getting a Civic. But the the Accord makes more sense
    + on comfort,
    + resale value,
    + insurance,
    + image (I'm old)
    - on gas milage

+'s outweighs the -'s.

I test drove both Civic and Accord back to back. Civic is a great car, but I like the Accord better. Yes, the new Civic is great with all the safety features, etc, but Civic is a Civic.

Raising its price by $500 or so from the previous model is deceiving as again, Honda dealers are looking close to MSRP.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    There is WAY more price difference than $500 between Accord and Civic unless you want to compare vehicles that are not equipped similarly and claim that all dealers sell Civics at MSRP (which they don't).
    Gas mileage is a big advantage for the Civic. It isn't as if there is only a 1 or 2 mpg difference.
    Insurance isn't always cheaper on an Accord. It depends on the individual circumstances, area and insurance company.
    Comfort should not be an issue unless you regularly carry passengers in the rear center position and even the Accord won't be that comfortable in that case.
    As long as you shop for a good deal on a Civic before buying, the depreciation should be better than an Accord.
    Depreciation cost matters. Having a lower value at resale time doesn't matter by itself.
  • mcap56mcap56 Member Posts: 48
    There are things you simply can't get in the Corolla that are standard on the EX. A five speed transmission (standard on all civics), one touch moonroof, alloy wheels, 4 wheel disc breaks, satelite audio controls, etc. Hopefully, for Corolla fans, they will be available on the next redesign. They should also make far more cars with ABS and SAB. There just don't seem to be too many of them.

Mcap
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    my lx. it has little issues, but i just drove another 500 mile round trip (not in one day - two) and i just love it more and more. mileage is excellent. power is good. cruises at 85 effortlessly, and handles great. (sshhh - the biggest problem is not getting nailed by the bears).
    10000 miles since January. Just changed my engine oil for the second time - with synthetic of course.

BTW
    i had a 94 corolla before this. when the rear suspension went on it, it was just a little more to replace the entire suspension with eibach springs and tokico shocks than just the rear struts. so i did. It was alot stiffer, but, man, that car handled like it was on rails after that and it never bottomed out. i bet your 04 corolla would too- that car could be a real sleeper with the right stuff on it.
  • magbarnmagbarn Member Posts: 35
    I recently purcahased a 06 Accord Sedan EX with 5sp for only $19,500 with dest charge. I originally was intent on purchasing a 06 Civic EX sedan 5sp, but the dealer would only go down to $18,500 with dest charge. Of course both prices are without TTL. So in SoCal a $1000 difference between the two cars is a win-win. In my current driving I'm averaging around 33-34MPG with 70hwy/30cty mix. So not too bad on the mpg penalty either.
  • tjs01tjs01 Member Posts: 34
    My daughter was driving our 06 Civic EX auto. She shifted from D to N at about 55 mph. She said she then pressed on the gas twice and noticed the engine revving up as it was in neutral. She said she slowed down to about 40-45 and then shifted back into drive. Would this damage the transmission either by the shifting from D to N or N to D while moving or by the revving in neutral by pressing the accelerator? I feel fortunate she told me about and hope what she did did not cause any damage. Thanks.
  • bman64bman64 Member Posts: 14
    My daughter was driving our 06 Civic EX auto. She shifted from D to N at about 55 mph. She said she then pressed on the gas twice and noticed the engine revving up as it was in neutral. She said she slowed down to about 40-45 and then shifted back into drive. Would this damage the transmission either by the shifting from D to N or N to D while moving or by the revving in neutral by pressing the accelerator? I feel fortunate she told me about and hope what she did did not cause any damage. Thanks

She didn't damage anything. :shades:

This is a common mistake, it happens to me on occasion while driving my 4-speed automatic '02 Trans Am. While already in top gear (4th overdrive) I think I'm in 3rd and I push the shifter into what I think is 4th (overdrive) and engine revs up a bit when I hit neutral. I put it into 4th from the neutral position, no damage ever.

I've done this numerous times (30 years behind the wheel) with other auto-trans cars, no big deal, no damage. My '06 Honda has a manual trans so I can't say that I've ever done this to a Honda auto-trans car, but tell your daughter not to worry about that small indiscretion. :blush:
  • mcap56mcap56 Member Posts: 48
    I bought my civic from them last November. They are legit and consistently have the lowest prices around. Good luck.
    Marc
    Hi,

No damaged should have occurred as long as nothing else happened that you don't know about.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi folks. We've got some new discussions on the Civic board. Some posts have been moved from here to them.

Go to that link to check them out. And while you are there, click on Track this Group (on the right just above the discussion list) so you won't miss anything else that is added.

Enjoy!
  • eric29eric29 Member Posts: 49
    i have the same model and interior. The plastic scratches if you look at it.
  • mrfree00mrfree00 Member Posts: 8
    One day I was driving the car and at the same time was trying to clean the window. But when I pulled the windshield wiper handle towards me, the windshield cleanser did spray out, but the windshield wiper was supposed to swing a few times to clean out the cleanser (at least I think it did before), but last time it didn't. So I brought the car back to the dealer but the wipers worked for them. :mad:

This morning when I tried again, it still didn't work. Is there anybody here has similar problem?

Also there are some rattling noise coming from the front passenger side (sounds like from glove box, but not sure). Dealers couldn't find the problem, only tried to tighten something up, but the noise is still there.
    Curious, How do you drive the car, clean the window and pulled the windshield wiper handle towards you? :P

I get a minor rattle from the front of my passenger drive. I think it the seatbelt that cause the noise. I kinder rejerk the seatbelt and the noise kinder stop.

The glove box is easy to fix. You might see whether anything you put inside might cause the rattle sound. If not, than unsnap the glove door and glove box and check the wire bundle it loose or not. I would insulated the wire with cushion type material.

The door might be also the problems. I notice the door is not securely tight lock. I would put a little insulated cushion at two corner inside the door.
  • jasonwilsonjasonwilson Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know which clours are the positive and negative wires for the intake air sensor of a 2006 Civic Sedan? From back to front, the colours are:

black/yellow
    black/red
    red/blue
    red/yellow
    green/yellow

I've searched the internet, but can't find any wiring diagrams for it.

Thanks
  • mrfree00mrfree00 Member Posts: 8
    What I meant was I pulled the part that controls windshield wiper inside the car, not the windshield wiper handle outside the car. :P
  • eric29eric29 Member Posts: 49
    There may be a big difference in quality between the Corolla and Civic and it might be worth 2500 - 3000:

"Given our rapid expansion, there is a need to strengthen the various quality processes," Masatami Takimoto, one of two executive vice presidents overseeing quality at Toyota, said."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-07-20-toyota-quality_x.htm
    I experienced the same thing. What I noticed when I experimented was that I had to hold the wiper control for a couple of seconds before the wipers would wipe the cleaner. It doesn't seem to register with the wipers if you just do a quick pull.
This discussion has been closed.