Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• user1235user1235 Member Posts: 84
    not sure what you people are talking about but the interior in the latest pictures above looks great. Very nice indeed for a car in this class, and even competitive with higher class cars. Steering wheel is interesting design with big center - like a race car wheel, and also has nice large buttons on it probably for the stereo. Overall impressive interior. Exterior also looks more impressive then earlier photos possibly because it's so up close. In fact it looks like a nice improvement over the current sedan.

Still I wish there was a 2.0+ engine available on the EX. Not everyone that is paying 18K for a new car values fuel economy more then power and accelaration.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I woudl assume that 45 means the age or the year the person was born, so this poster is either 45 or 60 years old. Of course Civic is not for him. HE IS TOO OLD FOR IT!!!! He likes Corolla, and rightfully so, Toyota is having a very difficult time attracting young people to buy their cars, this is why they created a Scion brand. To get away from the fake wood and bland styling that attracts OLDER people.

Besides, at 45 or 60, if you have made it in this world, you should not be looking at an entry level vehicle. I know I am 30 and I have out grown the Civic age, and moved on to a vehicle that suits me at my age.

You also mentioned that you wanted Civic Hybrid, have you seen the Hybrid? It is quite different from the regular Civic. And if you like Toyota so much, why not get the Prius? Can't afford the $30K sticker? Well, maybe Civic is $10K cheaper becase they don't use flashy stick ons like faux wood, that all broke Lexus wannabe owners like.

Hondas are all about ergonomics and not flash. Everything in a Honda is in its place for a reason, not because it looks good.

Go on and buy that Corolla you like so much, but stop being a 12 year old and taunt "other kids."
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Besides, at 45 or 60, if you have made it in this world, you should not be looking at an entry level vehicle.

Now what the heck is that supposed to mean? If someone who is over 45 wants a small, economical (e.g. save gas and the world's resources), fun-to-drive car and would rather spend his/her money on other things besides cars that are status symbols, what's the problem with that? Not everyone measures his self-worth by the size/power/luxury of the car he drives.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Not everybody defines their worth by what they drive.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    with the personally-directed comments. Stick to talking about the car and not about other members. Further posts along these lines will be removed without notice.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    with the exception of the steering wheel. Honda should go with a more traditional 3-spoke design. It kind of reminds me of the interior in a 90-93 Integra. It looks a little photo-shopped though. Especially that upper part of the dash.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    really need to see this in person, but those spy shots make it look like a 1970's Renault or soemthing! It has to look better in person (giving Honda some credit here).

I actually like the exterior even more with these latest shots. Looks more substantial (and "expensive") than the older model.

Can't wait to see/touch/drive this in person in a few weeks. Is 9/1 just the info embargo end date, or when they will be on the lot?

Actually, I remember seeing the Odyssey (2005) before it was offcially supposed to be released since they arrived early, so it is entirely possible dealers could have a supply stashed on the back lot underwraps already (or at least before 9/1).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

and they should be on lots by September 15th according to Hondapreview.com
  • corey415corey415 Member Posts: 49
    Yeah, that steering wheel doesn't look sporty at all. However, the Edmunds.com spy video, showed the interior of a preproduction Si and it did have the 3 spoke steering wheel. :)
    Well, it did seem to have some camo on the middle of the wheel. If not, it will look like the wheel from a bumper car ride.

The Si (or Euro) steering wheel looked pretty slick.

I still can't believe I have gotten so focused on a Civic. At least if I do something impulsive, it will be a lot cheaper than getting the 325i or IS250 that also have my eye.

Honda's timing with introducing a high MPG new car might be impeccable too.

• ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    I just hate the steering wheel, and shifter placement. I like the new two-layer instrument layout, it may be a little exteme for a few. Seems more appealing to younger buyers.
    I like the new exterior though.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/H/honda/civic/06-civic_page_7.html
    Looks very close to the Euro Civic. (which i like ;))
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I just have to jump in on this thread . . .

I'm 58, and have driven Civics since the CVCC, and actually owned a Honda 600 prior to that. I certainly can afford other cars, but have always driven small cars and the Civic is my preference.

I really like the exterior of the '06 Civic, but the interior obviously targets the younger demographic. It appears to have a "Start" red pushbutton ala the S2000. Items like these are fine marketing tools, but in essence are nothing but gimmicks. History certainly repeats itself. One thing is always true, if you live long enough, you will see the cycle repeat itself. Heck, I'm old enough to remember when many starters were engaged either by a pushbutton on the dash or a button on the floorboard!

Honda knows they strayed from the younger demographic with the last couple of generations of the Civic. They appear to be addressing this oversight with the '06.

I guess I need to make that decision quick either on buying a remaining '05 or waiting for the "avant garde" '06.
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    I've been looking at gas prices steadily go up and my interest in a fuel efficient vehicle has become top priority. Mostly due to my disgust with the oil market. The price of oil makes zero sense, similar to the stock market of the late 90's. The only problem is I'm upside down on my current truck (19MPG mostly highway). But I'll pay to get out of the truck just in case gas gets over $3.00 per gallon. I'm also the type that can afford a luxury car, thank God and good planning for that, but care about the environment and my pocket book.
    Anyway, looking at the Euro Civic and the coupe Si I prefer the Euro. I don't now if the Euro is a true hatchback but with the seats lifted it appears to handle some weekend warrior shopping better than the coupe. The coupe might handle some stuff but only it the back seat folds down and flat. The look of the Euro is more to my evolved taste. I bought the 1987 Integra as a new vehicle. I believe the latest Civic will finally break out of the bland look seen on vehicles during the last 15 years. I like the RSX but its lack of MP3 capability and low budget sound, coupled with bad road noise are a turn off. What would I appreciate in the new Civic?
    They send to the US market the Euro version. If its the coupe then a stereo system with 200W, MP3 or IPod interface and sub woofer as a option. Less road noise than the current RSX. The seats fold down flat, 17" wheels. Other interior options as dealer add-on but at reasonable prices, a la Scion. If the Civic can't match the Scion then the tC will get my money. Yes, you can get these options out in town but I don't like Joe's stereo shop touching my new auto.
    I personally like the Euro interior but I'm concerned about the silver painted surfaces. They damage easily and even the oil from our hands can cause it to fade. Hope they address that issue. Three spoke steering wheel is better looking. I wouldn't be surprised though if the Euro Civic becomes the next Acura RSX. Come on, the Euro Accord is the Acura TSX :P
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    but for now, Im loving my 05 Saab 9-2X Aero that I got for $18,745 brand new. THE deal to beat.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    03 Celica sold for a 05 Rav4, and now the gas prices are way up and would like a good solid vehical. Corolla is not an entry level car. I think that belong to the Echo and that other boxy looking car. I like the interior of the Corolla very much, but was looking forward to the Honda, but was very disappointed with the interior so much, I just had to lash out to the people that designed this. The Corolla interior looks well done, not cheap looking and could be driven by young and older alike. Sporty cars are a plenty, and the Civic and Corolla Sedan are not suppose to be the sporty type, but pleasant gas saving vehical that do not cost as much as the lux vehs. Who wants to throw away money now days when someone is retired and the money can be better spent on health care, and junk food :D The 05 Civic Sedan just looks cheap inside, and they can do so much better, but did not. Thin seats, cheap plastic dash should not have been put into that sedan. If Toyota can do it, so could Honda. If you have not seen the interior of the Corolla, do so, and you will see a world of difference in the two. Honda is now off my list and will get the Corolla. The hybrid for Toyota is also off the list because of the computer problems of late, and do not need to spend $30,000 when I only drive 450 miles a month. Will never recoup the gas saving with the hybrid, since I only drive little, and exchange cars every two years, and this time only one year later. If you think the interior of the 05 civic is great, this tells me that we all have different tastes, and I like mine better. Again, take a good hard look at the LE Corolla interior. Thats how honda should have been or similar.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=100022/pageNumber=16

Its funny how the Civic came out on top in this Comparo.

Honda Civic is geared more towards younger buyers (IMO)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Again, take a good hard look at the LE Corolla interior.

I've not only taken a hard look at it, I've driven in it many times. It's pretty nice for a small car interior. I only have 3 gripes with it: 1) uncomfortable driving position (I am 5'10"), 2) uncomfortable shifter position (the only car I've ever driven where the shifter makes my old wrist injury ache), 3) cheap-feeling HVAC controls. Also the air vents are not as nice as on some small cars e.g. Mazda3, Spectra, and Reno, but that's nit-picking. Other than that, I think it's pretty nice for an econobox.

It wouldn't make sense for Honda to do with the '06 Civic to do what Toyota has already done with the Corolla's interior. Better for the '06 Civic to head in a different direction, as they did. And for the record, I never said the '05 Civic's interior is "great." Please read (and quote) other posts more carefully.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    One could say that the Civic and Corolla have different target audiences. The Civic targets younger customers while the Corolla goes for older people (aging Baby Boomers, for example) who want decent transportation on the cheap.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It's not much, but its more than I'd seen uncamo'd.

Enjoy

visit: http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    Yet again, the Hollywood Extra is pawning off other's work as its own. A link to all of those pics were posted in this discussion already. THX has used 2 different pics from the same place to generate news for itself.

Check out the link to the actual stuff there are 7 total pics, so 5 that the HWX hasn't yet ripped off as its own.
    I think the current Si is the perfect car for you. There will be no hatchabck in 2006. I had the current Si and it is pretty capable. I was able to get 3 people and a 12,000 btu air conditioner unit in it. I was able to transport a maytag dishwasher, still in the box. A Honda lawnmower/bagger, and Ariens midsize snow blower. I agree that hatchback is more functional than coupe, but we as Americans are too shallow to take functionality of looks. VW would have no sales if people were interested in substance and not looks.
    Honda is now off my list and will get the Corolla.

I guess there's no need to continue to trash the Civic's interior. Happy trails in the Corolla room.
    Sorry fot the trouble...That was my first time to see the pictures. I never said that that site took them. I also had not read through the 36 pages of posts to see if a similar link was there. I didn't mean to get you riled up, claudius, I was just trying to provide a site where I knew information existed. Sorry :cry:
    Yes, we PEOPLE, not KIDS as you say, CAN tell you we like the Civic interior. No need to talk down to us because we choose not to buy the Holy grail that is Toyota.Yes, we did pay a good amount for that car. The instrument panel is electoluminescent, making it BRIGHTER than the last crapola I drove, not "dark, dim and gothic like." I think you are the one that needs to grow up, since you keep calling other members and readers here "kids, insult our intelligence by saying to "get some glasses". I drive an Accord, a car not designed for KIDS, not a Civic or Corolla. I am 18 years old. The person who owns this Civic that I have driven is in their mid-forties. Do they have bad vision? NO. Are they biased to Hondas or Civics due to previous purchases? No. They used to drive Fords. Are they a KID? Well, would you consider someone in their 40s a kid?

By the way, have you turned the fan speed dial in your Corolla? It is stiff and notchy, not smooth, lubricated, and high-quality like the "GOTHIC, DARK, SAD CIVIC LIKE YOU SAY. Maybe the dark part was a black interior?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I don't know why people are people are worrying about colors and quality when it is a poorly exposed flash photo of a preproduction model. I am sure production models will have better colors that match and good fit and finish. Most likely a different steering wheel that will better match the rest of the interior too.

I test drove a Corolla LE automatic and it "looked" ok, but I could not believe how loud and boomy the engine was when I accelerated. I always expected Toyotas to be quiet.
    I would never buy a car that noisy.
    I rented a Hyundai Accent on vacation and the engine was much smoother and quieter despite being in a size class closer to an Echo than a Corolla. It was just too slow for me.
    I hope the new 2006 Civic has a very refined and smooth engine that doesn't grate your nerves when you rev it.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I agree. Honda needs to work on tire and road noise, but Toyota needs to work on engine noise. To me, the Camry engine is noisier than the Accord, and the Highlander engine is noisier than the Pilot. The Corolla and Matrix/Vibe do not sound very refined from an engine standpoint.
    No, please don't take offense, I wasn't directing comments to you personally. It's just that the pictures off of ToyotaNation of the Civic have shown up on the Hollywood Extra, one on the 14th and one on the 15th, yet no where do I see a link or anything that credits the actual people who took them.

After reading over my previous post, it does seem that it sounded a bit as if directed to you, that was by no means intentional. I apologize for that, mate.
    It is NOT a preproduction model. Wake up, the Civic goes on sale in two weeks and the production lines have already been prepared and finalized and ALL the parts are procurred, manufactured and ready. In fact they have already started producing them and shipping them to different parts of the country, where they will be distributed to dealers. In fact the latest phone cam spy shots are of final civics being transported for sale on Sept 1st. And in fact the pictures are quite good, good resolution and very clear, so this IS how the interior looks. Having said that, the interior is VERY NICE in my opinion, and I own a 30K car which doesnt look much better, if at all.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    but Toyota needs to work on engine noise.

You can say that again. While Toyota has done a commendable job quieting down their V-6 and 2.4-liter I-4 engines (used on the Camry), the I-4 engines on the now-discontinued Echo, Corolla and Matrix are quite rough and noisy at higher RPM's. I hope that Toyota introduces a new series of 2.0-liter and smaller-displacement I-4 engines that are just as quiet as the Honda I-4's, especially with the upcoming next-generation Corolla model.

I expect the Civic to be a hot selling model, specially since you have near-Accord like interior space and 6% better fuel efficiency than the current Civic models. With the price of gas approaching US$3.00 per US gallon for regular unleaded, they will be snapped up as fast as Honda can get them on dealer lots.
    No problem, man. I understand your frustration with the site, also. I just didn't know about it until today. They shouldn't take those photos as their own. Apology accepted, and certainly no hard feelings. We all get worked up, myself included. I apologize also.
    The combo of room and MPG could move a lot of units, as long as the styling is unoffensive (if not riveting), and the interior doesn't look too bad in person. Those flash shots thorugh the side window are hard to interpret. A Maybach probably wouldn't look too good shot that way!

I hope the comfort level is there (seats especially).

To weigh in on the Corolla theme, I borrow one on occasion when my car is in the shop (an AT S model). Uncomfortable seats, odd driving position, hard to reach the radio, noisy and unrefined engine are a few of the memories. No more interesting to me than a Focus, discousnting the name on the trunk (and the expecttions for reliability).

I expect the Civic to feel like a higher class of car than the current one, and the Corolla, much like the Mazda 3 does.

The other thing that Honda usually nails is the clutch/shifter, which isn't a strong point on my tC. Since I would be buying a stick, the AT isn't a concern to me.

If you look at newcivic.honda.com there is a link to a website called www.civicparties.com and from there it seems there will be previews.

The first party is Wed Aug 17 from 7-10 pm in LA. Then one in Boston on Thursday. The flyers say "Featuring the All-New 2006 Honda Civic" Anyone nearby any of these Preview Parties that might be able to go and get some info?
  • alanyalany Member Posts: 10
    I like the exterior, but Honda really lost me with that interior. The styling cues (digital speedometer, boxy looking dash around the tach, strange colors) are straight out of the mid-80s. Ugh. There was nothing wrong with the interior of the current generation Civic.
    The hot engines in Toyota are not made by Toyota. They are Yamaha engines. I doubt that Toyota even made the regular engines. They are an appliance company, not R&D company like Honda is. Honda's mainstay is engines, they make cars as a side business so they can sell more engines. Ever seen a Toyota (or any other auto maker) lawn mower, generator, power washer, outboard motor? Nope, they don't make them because they don't make the engines. Honda makes them all so they can sell more engines.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Toyota DOES make its own engines, and even builds part of the ones designed in collaboration with Yamaha (Yamaha just provides the heads on those engines).

I love the styling of the new Civic coupe. I will be keeping a very close eye on this model. I want to know why they can't make the sedan better mimic the coupe! As it is, from what little I have seen, it will once again be a bit stodgy, although better than the current model.

I bet the digital dash is NOT the standard dash for the U.S. Civic. Not only is it a somewhat dated idea to have a digital speedo, it is also more costly for Honda, right? I would certainly prefer a regular analog dash. I think many would. The pics I have seen look more like a concept car than a preproduction model, but maybe that is just me.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• jdeazyjdeazy Member Posts: 3
    I am seriously considering purchasing the new Civic Si when ever it's released, but I am also considering the Mazda 3 Sedan. My one big question is, since the Si is similar to the RSX type S is it going to require premium fuel? Also what is the approximate cost of the Si, will it be around the same price as the rsx?
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I for usually like a digital speedo. The dash that always struck me as having the highest-wow factor was a mid or late 80's Nissan 280Z.

Everyone's got analog gages these days (actually retro). The more unique things about a vehicle the better I like it.
    someone on the site that worships engine technology posted that they did a ride and drive on the '06. Very favorable. Seemed to think it was a major upgrade.

Even said the interior, in person, was very impressive, and looked much better in real life than it did in the spy shots through the window that are floating around.

The Si should be a screamer like the RS-X, and will likely require premium fuel. I would bet 20-22K price range.

Well, not to sound hypocritical after my other post, but you all need to direct your browsers to the Hollywood Extra website. It looks like he got some nice pictures. I'm assuming they are from the Preview Party in LA that took place tonight.

Another preview is tomorrow night in Boston if I remember correctly, maybe we will get some pictures from there too.
  • jscevjscev Member Posts: 36
    The pics on this site seem to show that the dash is different, and it doesnt look to me like the new civic will have the digital speedometer. Maybe its just the angle that is fooling me, though, i would rather the civic to not the digi. Also does anyone think that the foglights will not be added even though there seems to be a spot for them. i hope they add foglights as a standard option because i think that they make a car look better. other then that i think the new civic looks awesome and i cant wait for the Si to come out so i can see it in perosn.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    stickguy,

Yes, his Southern California test drive of the 2006 Civics sounds like it REALLY impressed him. He made some fine comments and responses to posted questions.
  • mcap56mcap56 Member Posts: 48
    I too am really hoping that the civic does NOT have the digital speedo here in the US. However, in that picture, what would be the speedometer cluster is obscured by the exterior pillar. So, although we can hope, it seems as if Honda will have it. I just don't understand why they went with it. It will be in your line of vision constantly. I like to go with the flow of traffic. I don't want to know my speed constantly! :mad:
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    WOW, this car looks fantastic! The sedan too, its looking much better than some people would have you believe. Look out competition, the Civic is gonna rock your boat.

I love the interior too, very very snazzy.
    the wheel doesn't bother me quite as much, but I do have a thing against 2 spokers. Always make me think of late 60's Chevys. At least the rim is thick, and there are steering wheel buttons for the radio.

I can't quite get a handle on the instrument piece of it. I really have to see this in person, and turned on (the car, not me).

At least the seats looked decently large and contoured, which is nice.

It does look like the speedo must be digital, but we will all know soon.

• dambdamb Member Posts: 3
    I don't like the intergrated cd player I can't put in the $500 stereo i just bought, where is the cd player in the navi units.
  • enya18enya18 Member Posts: 19
    I keep wondering if the interior photos are pre-production or not- and the only reason I'm not sure is because the colors are strange looking (muddy yellow looking dash and light shiny blue steering wheel?!?!) or am I seeing things?
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    The coupe looks sharp. The interior is interesting, one oddity is the 2 spoke steering wheel. Also, if you don't get the navigation system your probably faced with one ugly looking place holder. The final word will be after the test drive though. :)

http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I LIKE IT!!!!!!! :D:D:D:)

Looks very futuristic and elegant. I'm waiting for the First Drive reviews.

That Hybrid will probably be in hot demand though, with those rising gasoline prices.

If you're planning on getting the 2005, I'll bet you can get it for a song. Even the Hybrid version.

I could be highly biased, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. (I currently still own a Civic)
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I wish people would not make stuff up. There is no ugly place holder, just like there is no ugly place holder in the TSX.
    realize that some people are not too smart but they are still allowed to post here and participate. I agree that their misinformation or illogical thinking does detract from the discussion and possibly annoys other people but that's just how it is. Like the "smart" people that said the interior looks bad because the picture is not clear - haha, I thought it was still clear enough to see that the interior is very impressive, like the bloggers at the civic party reported. Also the exterior of the sedan is in fact noticeably improved over the current sedan, and of course the coupe design is a definetly a home run. I accept that it will take some people more time to realize that though.
This discussion has been closed.