Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW M3 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Interesting story (I guess, maybe not) my wife's 2003 M3 convertible went thru a pair of michelins that we had just bought for the rear...could not figure out why a brand new set of tires would wear in less than 4months...my mechanic (Not BMW just a local shop) had the car alligned a number of times..finally he had another M3 with the same problem..one of his coworkers looked deep in the rear and found that the guys bushings were bad...he fortunately had it covered under warranty...when they put my wife's car up she had the same problem ....i took the car back to BMW...and 700 dollars later the Rear bushings were replaced (fortunately i have that Mercury Extended Warranty i talked about a few postings back) so i'm now happy i had purchased the warranty. We'll see if it pays off down the road.!! Watch 'CRIMINAL MINDS" Wednesday nights at 9pm on CBS, we're #1 in our timeslot!!!
  • whitem3whitem3 Posts: 12
    I have a 95 M3-85000 miles. In the pasdt few years it has started to beep occasionally. Usually it only happens once, out of the blue, whilke I am driving. It is a series of three beeps in rapid succession. Nothing else happens, everything runs fine, and I just go on my merry way. What is the significance of the beep?
    Also, when the radiator and the rear shock mounts look pristine, how many of you E36 owners have replaced them anyway?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,775
    What is the significance of the beep?

Probably a setting on the onboard computer. The speed or ice alarm would be my guess.

Also, when the radiator and the rear shock mounts look pristine, how many of you E36 owners have replaced them anyway?

I'd definitely replace the radiator within the next six months or 6K miles. In an E36 of your vintage the radiator can fail without warning at any time. It's a fairly inexpensive procedure that you can do yourself. If you plan to keep and/or track the car I'd consider fitting the Zionsville Autosport all metal radiator. It's not cheap, but it cures the radiator problem permanently.
    When the rear shock mounts start to go you'll hear them. Replace them with the Meyle HD RSMs from UUC Motorwerks.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• whitem3whitem3 Posts: 12
    Thanks again friend. I have followed most of your previous advice. I guess I will do the radiator soon. RSMs-I don't know.
    RSMs-I don't know.

Unlike a radiator, the RSMs will give you an audible warning, so you can certainly wait until you hear them.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• I just purchased an '02 BMW M3 w/ 52k miles on it a week ago. Does anyone know what I should be checking on in terms of preventive maintenance? Is there a part that needs to be replaced normally at this point? Sorry, I'm new to this mean machine.

Thanks!
  • 2003 M3 convertible...last december i was getting a clutch type stutter in 1st gear as i lightly hit the gas..took it to the dealership and here's what they did..."Clutch Pressure Plate faulty. Self-Adjustment. Clutch operation bad in first gear. Remove SMG Transmission to inspect. Disc material surface was ok but found pressure plate self-adjustment all the way out. shows signs of chattering on plate surface. Flywheel found ok. Remove and replace clutch assembly and reassemble -BLE SMG Trasmission." That was just 11 months ago...same problem again!! Thank god it's covered under their 2 year parts warranty, they didn't have to go to my aftermarket warranty from Mercury. Why is this happening again??? Also everytime i go to that dealership he's trying to tell me i'm due for a Brake fluid Flush???? How often should i do that??? I always feel that's basically the dealership trying to "HOSE" me.
    Does anyone know what I should be checking on in terms of preventive maintenance? Is there a part that needs to be replaced normally at this point? Sorry, I'm new to this mean machine.

Do you have access to the car's service records? That would help determine what service the car needs. In any event, I would change the oil at 7.5K intervals using Castrol 10W-60 and a BMW filter. Brake fluid needs to be changed at least every two years using a quality DOT 4 fluid, such as BMW, Castrol LMA, or ATE Super Blue Racing. If your car sees the track(and it should), change it every 6 months. Coolant should be changed every two years using BMW Coolant ONLY. I'd follow the Service Interval Indicator for all other service. Your owner's manual contains information on the SI system.

Why is this happening again???

I know that the self adjusting pressure plate has caused problems in the MT cars. Most people swap it for a conventional pressure plate, which has a better "feel" and is more reliable. I don't know if that's possible with your car. I'd check with the guys at UUC Motorwerks and see what they recommend.

Also everytime i go to that dealership he's trying to tell me i'm due for a Brake fluid Flush???? How often should i do that???

Street driven cars cars can have the fluid flushed every two years(DOT 4 fluid ONLY). Cars that see track use should change the fluid every 6 months.

• gotmgotm Posts: 1
    Hello everyone I am an new owner of e46 M3 2003 6spd with 45K miles, bought it preowned from private but still carried the CPO certified from BMW until end of next year. I love the car, the look but not the shifting clunking noise. My car recently rev pretty high between gears. Majority on 1st and 2nd Its feel like a car with turbo lack meaning rev high but car move not as fast as it should be. I don't feel the push to the seat anymore. I also hear clunking noise when I am about to shift. I could literally feel the metal hitting each other on the drivetrain to the rear differential. Anyone in here have that problems? How do I fix it and what causing it to be like that. I already schedule for service next week and I will let you all know what they got to say. Any feed back greatly appreciated. :confuse: thank you
    It could be anything; the clutch, the center bearing, the guibo(rubber coupling, or possibly the driveshaft itself. Anything but the clutch should be covered by the BMW CPO warranty.

• jman6jman6 Posts: 4
    I just bought a 95 BMW M3 a couple days of ago. It has 180,000 miles on. The car didn't come with an owners manual so I don't know how to use all the buttons on the console. Any help with that would be appreciated. Also, if I hold down the gas to about 5,000 RPMs and try to keep it down to 6,000 RPMs it makes a clanking noise and the check engine light comes on. As soon as I let off the gas the noise stops and the light goes out. What could this be? There is also a beeping noise that comes on every so often. It is 3 soft beeps then it goes away and its fine. What is this?
    I just bought a 95 BMW M3 a couple days of ago. It has 180,000 miles on. The car didn't come with an owners manual so I don't know how to use all the buttons on the console. Any help with that would be appreciated.

I'll try to help, but you really should buy a manual. A dealer can order one or you can check eBay.

Also, if I hold down the gas to about 5,000 RPMs and try to keep it down to 6,000 RPMs it makes a clanking noise and the check engine light comes on. As soon as I let off the gas the noise stops and the light goes out. What could this be?

It could be severa things. You need to read the CEL code to know for sure.

There is also a beeping noise that comes on every so often. It is 3 soft beeps then it goes away and its fine. What is this?

Does it only do it in cold weather? It could be the freeze warning.

I will look into buying an owner's manual. But the light on the clock has gone out. Any suggestions on how to fix that? Also, what is CEL Code?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    You've got a lot of learning to do if you plan on keeping this car on the road - and not paying a mechanic to do all the repairs.

I suggest you purchase an E36 Bentley Manual and then do a google search for some of the popular BMW enthusiast forums.

There's a wealth of knowledge out there and your car can be inexpensive and reliable, but only if you educate yourself and are willing to turn some wrenches yourself.

(CEL = Check Engine Light) you use a code reader to get the fault code, which will tell you what your problem is (typically fuel, ignition, or exhaust related).

The light on the clock (OBC) is a $0.02 part that is a pain in the rear to replace since you have to at least partially remove the OBC from the console. The Bentley manual and enthusiast forums are going to be your friend for this type of stuff (which you can plan on dealing with on a routine basis).

Good Luck!
    fedlawman is dead right. Get the Bentley manual. I'd also strongly suggest joining the BMW Car Club of America. Lots of dealers and indie shops offer 10%-25% club discounts on parts and/or labor.

Does any one know of a good BMW mechanic in the Phoenix area? And thanks for the suggestion of the manual. I just bought one so I'm waiting for it to come.
    I don't have any personal experience with this shop, but Bavarian Motors Ltd. is a member of BIMRS.org, which is usually a reliable indication of a quality operation.

• does anyone knows which is the best repair manual for the e46 me that I can buy, either CD or book?

after waiting 7 years and playing with my acura/honda, i've finally found my dream e46 m3 that I can afford. bmw inspection was done prior to purchase. i need to replace the euro valve and the power steering hose asap according to the dealer's inspection suggestion.

does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to replace this parts? any special tools needed? are the hose press fitted or just tighten by clamps like a honda?
    dealer wants over $1500 parts/labor. It shouldn't be that hard to replace it myself, should it?
    any advice wil be appreciated. thanks! :) :confuse:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,669
    This is a good book:

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-E46-Service-Manual-1999-2005/dp/0837612772

What's a euro valve?

Power steering hose is easy (usually) but $$$. BMW power steering hose prices, for the pressure side at least, are really expensive for a quality item. Return lines don't cost too much, maybe $40-60 bucks.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to replace this parts?

Likw Mr. Shiftright, I have no idea what a "euro valve" is- and I've wrenched on Bimmers since 1982. And yes the Bentley Manual is the best E46 service resource.

are the hose press fitted or just tighten by clamps like a honda?

Depends on the hose. If the hoses are leaking at the power steering fluid reservoir you can usually fix the problem by removing the crimped on clamps and replacing them with regular worm gear clamps. Other hoses have threaded fittings and if one of those is leaking you will have to either buy a new one from the dealer or else remove it and have a local heavy equipment shop make up a replacement. You may need a flange or crowfoot wrench to reach some of the PS fittings.

dealer wants over $1500 parts/labor

Join the BMW Car Club of America. That will get you discounts at lots of dealers and independent shops. Local chapter members can point you to the best places for parts and service; sometimes the hot tip is the local dealer, other times it isn't.

• Thank you all for helping me with my questions. The euro valve is a valve that seperates the air and the oil is what the dealer told me. I guess I will have to call the dealer back and ask for part number or something to figure out what it is.
    The euro valve is a valve that seperates the air and the oil is what the dealer told me.

Are they referring to the oil separator- part #1 as shown in this diagram?

What IS that thing? It looks very German.

What IS that thing? It looks very German.

It's function is the same as a PCV valve, only "improved" by German ingenuity! ;)

$113 for a piece of pipe?

Well....okay I guess.

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Well, yeah. $57 for being German, and $56 for being "improved."

Ironically, the GM piece of pipe also costs $113 - $3 for the pipe and $110 for retiree pension plans. :P
  • Thank you Mr. Shiftright and Roadburner. I finally spoke to the dealer that did the inspection. The euro valve is the oil seperator. I just order the bentley repair manual so hopefully I can replace it myself and save some $$$. It seems pretty easy to replace according to the diagram. I have been playing and modifying honda/acura for the last 9 years but yet I am still a little nervous with my m3. It almost feels like the first time I tore my honda apart. I guess is because I have waited 8 years to finally get my dream car. Or maybe BMW seems more complex than a honda. But if I am going to take the e46 m3 to the track along with my honda, I need to learn to service it myself also. Should there be anything I should watch out for while replacing the oil seperator? Anything I should check when I finished to make sure I did it right?
    Should there be anything I should watch out for while replacing the oil seperator? Anything I should check when I finished to make sure I did it right?

If you have sound DIY skills and follow the Bentley manual you shouldn't have a problem. And if you are a BMW Car Club member you have access to several technical advisors as well.

• by the way, since the oil seperator is inside the valve cover, why would the leak on the oil seperator cause a lost of oil that will be fatal to the motor? That's what the dealer service department said. Meanwhile the $60 part cost $980 parts and labor. Just seems weird!!!