Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 2005+

Comments

• dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Thanks, I knew these things were popular and held value well, but good to see listed values in Edmonds are not so far off. Looked at Honda site to get list prices on new, you are correct. New looks good for that sort of price.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I have basically that same vehicle (EX-L with NAV and DVD) but only 18k miles. According to Edmunds, mine books at $23,992 $25,824 $27,833 for Trade/Private/Dealer respectively. Adding for the 28k miles only deducts about $400 from what I can tell. Seems like the $26k number is relatively reasonable starting point. You can also check kbb.com and average the two.

You can likely buy a new Odyssey for invoice or very close. The invoice on mine was right around $31,500 back in April of 2005 so I'm sure the current invoice is higher. So is $6,000 discount worth the used vehicle to you? Regardless of what the books say, you have to be happy with the deal. I think $21k-$23k is unrealistic for a EX-L NAV & DVD, particularly from a dealer. If I was selling mine, I might take $26,000 for it
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Thanks for input. Does not have Nav, and its an individual seller who is being sent overseas. I wonder if they tried Carm*x, they would pay a decent price for it and not have to sell you another vehicle.

As for me, I'm cheap and have the opinion (backed up by experience) that newer vehicles are much less trouble prone and used can provide a good value as they have taken depreciation but have only used X amount of the useful life of the vehicle. Granted, on a Honda, you are not getting much of a discount from new which lessens the appeal when you factor in warranty and design improvements, etc. That plan works great for domestics, of course.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    IMHO when in doubt go with the new one. That way you know everything about the vehicle, and have a warranty also.

You might be surprised at the difference between asking price and selling price. If you can't buy it at your price move on.
  • bekbek Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if the maintenance minder actually monitors and checks when specific services are needed (i.e. oil, transmission etc) or is it simply going by the odometer miles? How sophisticated is this thing?
    It monitors your driving and has service intervals built in based upon rpm's, number of cold starts, idling, etc. I had a similar system on my previous Tahoe but it only recommended oil changes. The Ody system also tells you when to service other things. From what I've seen, it does a pretty good job at least in terms of oil life.
  • lookdenferlookdenfer Member Posts: 3
    For the last year or so, my 05 Ody has developped an increasingly strong whine that seems to be coming from the power steering pump. I have brought it to the dealer twice but each time I did, it did not make that noise. Very frustrating ... and very puzzling.

This whine only develops when the engine is warm. The reason I think it is the power steering is that when I turn the steering wheel a quarter of a turn in either direction, it increases dramatically. It is coming from the top left pump as you face the engine.

The other day I was in a parking lot and, lo and behold, here comes another 05 Ody and it was making the same irritating noise. The owner told me he had also brought it to the dealer who did not find anything wrong. So this tells me that my car is not the only one with this issue. I did a search on this board for "pump noise" but hardly anything came up. Has anyone else experienced this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bo
    I have seen some power steering pumps replaced on these, seems to be an early '05 thing.
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Has anyone run into the problem with their rear window defroster, on the right hand side is not working? My back defroster on the lift gate works fine, except for the one on the right. Please let me know. Your opinion and inputs are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    There's no defroster in the side rear windows. That's the stereo antenna.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Umm, the 'right hand side defroster' ISN'T a defroster. It's the radio antenna embedded in the glass.

edit: sorry - sebring beat me to it.... :blush:
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    CR tested NYC taxi cabs with one set having 3K oil changes and the other at 5K. When they tore them down they could find no difference in wear. Unless you are driving in severe conditions or do a lot of heavy towing or hauling I wouldn't have a problem with the minder. I start thinking of changing oil at the 20% level and do so when it is convenient for me. Last time it got down to 5% as I had a bunch of kids home at T'giving.

Use good oil and a new filter ever time and enjoy your find vehicle.
    Thank you for your responses. I automatically assumed they they were defroster lines since I do not have any lines on my '04 Honda Pilot back windows and these look orange which are similar to the ones on the lift gate. Thanks again.
  • terribleterazaterribleteraza Member Posts: 5
    Hello, picked our new Odyssey EXL with dvd and nav system on Nov 4th and on November 7 thieves stole the front airbags, dvd screen and the navigation module located under the drivers seat. Put in the shop, they had it for 2 weeks and when I went to pick it up, they informed that the nav module was missing and that they had to order it. Took the vehicle home and in a week or so got a call that the module was in. Took to dealership and had it installed only to be told that it did come in with the software (the disc w/ the map info, etc. They ordered the software and was called and tiold it had come in. Dropped the vehicle at the dealership and the next day received a call from them asking if I could come to look at something at the dealership. They showed the 7 day old nav module had been mangled and showed me the vehicle had been broken into for the 2nd time. This did not happen at the dealership though. Upon further review, this is what I discovered about the so called alarm system on the Odyssey. The thieves took a lowly hanger and inserted through the door jam and just used to to hit the lock.unlock button loacted ON THE TOP of the armrest. The dealer said that would not deactivate alarm, so we did a test on a showroom model. We locked our selves in the vehicle, locked and activated the alarm with the keyfob. We then hit the lock/unlock button and opened the locks and then the door. Guess what, no alarm. I have a call into American Honda and filed a complaint about the horrible design and want to know what Honda is going to do about it. They are supposed to get back to me. I will sue if they don't offer me a solution. Anyone else having a theft problem.

PS try it on your van
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    You're going to sue Honda because the alarm is deactivated when the door is unlocked?

Good luck.

Sure wish the thieves who broke into my Odyssey in San Diego 18 months ago had known that trick. Instead they just shattered windows (causing $2000 in damage) and never opened the doors.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    What he's getting at is that if you arm the vehicle with the remote and then unlock the doors with the door button, the alarm should sound.

My 98 Accord did it as does my 05 Passat. It allows you to lock the vehicle with the windows open for ventilation and prevents people from unlocking the car without setting off the alarm.
    I fully understood his point. Mine was that he cannot successfully sue Honda over their alarm design.

And I wish the Odyssey alarm had an interior motion detector. It does not.

My recently acquired Mustang GT does (as an extra cost factory option).
  • faxpawfaxpaw Member Posts: 17
    From my previous posting (March 2006) :
    We purchased our 2005 Ody EXL-NAV in Jan 05. On a trip to Northern Michigan in May 2005 (with 7,000 miles on the van) the power steering pump started making the same noises as reported by other forum members. We called the Honda Dealer in Traverse City to see if we could safely drive the van back home. The Service Rep at Williams Honda was extremely helpful and stated that they had already replaced several power steering pumps on the 2005 Ody model and yes we should be able to get home ok. Upon our return we took our Ody to our local dealer, and they replaced the power steering pump. Unfortunately 6 months later the power steering unit started making noise again. Yesterday (6/6/06), once again miles from home, the pump was so noisy that I thought it would lock up. I called Hinderer Honda this morning and they stated that Honda agrees that they have noise problems with the Ody power steering system and recommends replacement of the power steering reservoir as a temporary fix. (Permanent fix still in the design stage?) 12/13/06 update: The power steering reservoir was replaced (June 2006) and so far the unit has been fairly quiet. Hope this helps and I would be interested if forum members have any further information on the power steering noise issue.
    Dave
    Most vehicles have a very basic security system, as is the case of the Odyssey as well. I guess my question to you is this: If the alarm would have sounded, would the intruders care? I see more vehicles with alarms getting ripped off than anything else. But to answer your question about theft...yours is the first I've seen of an Ody getting broken into for these kinds of parts. I've seen others get their windows busted and contents stolen, but that's about it.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Had to chuckle at the post on Honda's so called alarm system. My 03 DC van has a factory alarm that works. If you lock the doors with the fob and try to open the doors by using the unlock button from inside the alarm will go off. Found this out when sick grandchild asked to go to the van and recline seat to sleep, to keep him safe as I was nearby I locked the van with the fob, a few minutes later he was feeling better and decided to join me, as soon as he unlocked the door the alarm went off.
    I tried this lock myself in with a keyfob and I was able to unlock the doors right the way by pressing the unlock button on the arm rest. However, if you lock yourself in with your keyfob and wait between 15 to 20 seconds you will not be able to unlock by the push of the unlock button on the armrest. I tried this several times during my lunch break with my '07 Ody van. I hope this helps.
    Tried this on my '05 as well with the same result as fx35awd. Button does not work after a short period of time. So either someone is breaking into your car within 15 seconds of you locking it.....or something else is going on. Perhaps someone has duplicated a key? That's pretty much the norm for getting into vehicles these days, probably someone at the dealership that knows what the parts are worth.......
  • terribleterazaterribleteraza Member Posts: 5
    If I ever get the van back, I will try that. But we did the same thing on one in the showroom, but to be honest, we didn't wait the time frame you are referring to. thanks
  • bb101bb101 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 EX-L with 10K miles. For the past several months the warning indicator (the beep) comes on in the middle of driving. It is the sound that comes on if you put the car in drive or reverse with one of the sliding doors open. When we put it in park the sound stops. Recently we think we figured out it is due to the auto sliding driver door not latching properly, but the dealership couldn't see anything wrong with it. Anyone else experience this?
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    Is it just me or did Edmunds really kill their forums when they closed the general discussions for models a while back? They've reopened them since, but they still seem pretty quiet.
    No, it's not just you. It just seems like someone cannot make up their mind. The other issue (like many other websites) is that they can't leave a good thing alone.
  • panmaxpanmax Member Posts: 24
    Quote, "Is it just me or did Edmunds really kill their forums when they closed the general discussions for models a while back?".

Yes, the old forums are at. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/ForumsLanding

The old and new share threads but are not identical. Maybe the manufacturers who advertise here got irritated when owners actually posted complaints. By opening different forums, the complaints are spread out and seem less numerous. At least some of the dealer-posters who used to post dishonest denials of everything, especially in Honda forums, are gone.
  • mtbheadmtbhead Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,
    I'm a new owner of a used 05 Touring. It's awesome except for one thing: it has a vibration at the gas pedal and rattle sound coming from the front end when accelerating medium/hard while the vehicle is cold. Slightly accelerating won't do it - you have to be going 3/4 to full throttle. It feels and sounds very similar to a CV joint going bad (for those that are familiar with that), but there are two important differences: 1) it will occur when going straight just as well as turning, and 2) it only happens when the vehicle is cold. As it warms up, the noise/vibration gradually goes away. I've checked the Rattling/Whistling Noise and Droning/Humming Noise issue threads, and this is not similar to any of those reported in either of those threads. The sellers assured us that they hadn't really noticed it before, and were unsure of what it was, but that they'd take care of it if it was anything major and Honda wouldn't cover it. The vehicle has just over 36K miles (36,400 now) - I'm hoping that Honda will still cover whatever it is even though the warranty is now expired.

But, step one is just trying to figure out what it is! After taking it to one local dealer, they weren't able to do that. The mechanic definitely noticed it during our test drive. After tightening up some bolts he found slightly undertorqued in the steering rack and subframe, he ran a computer diagnostic check and found a trouble code indicating that the motor mounts hadn't finished running a calibration sequence. How that can happen is beyone me - but he explained how the motor mounts had anti-vibration hydrolic and electronic systems in them. So, he reset them, and retested the van, and found the noise/vibration gone. Unfortunately, I think it was just because it had warmed up. The next morning it was just as bad as ever (maybe worse?). Tonight, we just dropped it off at a bigger dealership, who I believe has a very reputable Service dept (Larry Hopkins in Sunnyvale, CA - I used to own an S2000, and that was where all the local S2000 owners recommended going for service issues). I'm hoping that they can figure it out. However, I figured I'd try here in case anyone may have experienced something similar. Sorry for the long post.
    My guess is that (one or more of) the motor mounts need to be replaced. I believe that was an issue on some of the '05s. It sounds as though that first store was really trying (and it's hard for them - although it shouldn't be - when the problem only happens when cold).

I am perplexed, though, as to why you are hitting into it when the vehicle is not fully warmed up. Hard acceleration on a cold drivetrain is not the best idea for longevity.
    Honestly, I don't think I've ever gotten on the motor that hard before it was warmed. There are some various start-up modes that the engine uses to warm itself very quickly and they could be (even normally) causing this to happen. Another possibility could be the transmission is not getting proper lubrication initially and something is slipping. Does the vehicle accelerate normally (performance wise) when this noise occurs? The motor will not allow for VCM operation when cold as well, so there's obviously several different controls (mechanically and electronically) that could be factors if this is indeed a problem. It's a bit of a curiosity, but at the same time if you don't hammer on it while cold you don't have a problem. Sort of like the telling your doctor "it hurts every time I do this....." It very likely could be an engine mount, particularly if they have different settings for cold starts.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Our'06 Ody EXL/NAV/RES has an engine vibration similar to yours. When the car is cold, there is a definite vibration in the steering wheel & noisy like a loose exhaust manifold/pipes. Also, at certain idling conditions, i.e. at a red light the engine vibrates & the mounts cannot correct the motion properly - must be a software bug.

Our engine mounts were replaced in an effort to eliminate the droning defect. There was no change in the engine vibration so you may have to live with it. Also, the droning noise is still very loud on the highway. The mounts are electronic active type that adjust to cancel the engine vibrations. If you ask me, the '05 & '06 Odysseys were Beta cars that wre not fully tested with new technologies (VCM, active engine mounts, etc.)

IMO, the previous generation has a much more refined engine/exhuast setup even though they use the same engine. Strides in ride comfort & appearance were made but they sacrificed the smoothness of the powertrain.

Lastly, the '07 has a new transmission with a completely different shift point program. The droning noise is pretty much gone since the 2000 rpm occurs at 75+ mph not 60mph like the '05+'06's. I did not verify if the motor mounts have been updated or reprogrammed.

Keep us posted if Honda is able to fix it for you.
    Hi cccompson and sebring95,
    When I said cold, I guess I meant just the drivetrain (tranny, axles, PAX tires), NOT the engine. I mention the PAX tires, since they were replaced about 8k miles prior, and I wonder if they could somehow exhibit this behaviour. We warm the engine up fully every time before driving it (at least 2-3 minutes, heater's blowing warm air, etc.). When it happens, everything else about the car seems normal - it accelerates fine, idles fine, VCM kicks in on decelerations, etc. Again, this is not the droning issue - it is a definite rattle - almost like a loud ticking noise, and you can also feel it in the gas pedal and steering wheel. It sounds/feels very much like a bad CV joint, although I know that's not it since the problem exists when going straight, and also goes away once the drivetrain warms up.
    I just heard back from the service writer: the mechanic found a bad intermediate axle shaft bearing, and it had also caused the splines on axle to wear down. They're going to cover it (complete intermediate axle assembly replacement) under warranty due to being so close to the period ending as a one-time good-will coverage. Yeay! Larry Hopkins Honda rules! Parts should be in tomorrow, and I'll post an update after we have a chance to drive it cold...
  • mom24mom24 Member Posts: 2
    I have experienced the same noise on my 2005 Ody. It is usually cold outside (50 or below) and the engine is warm. Whenever I turn left or right there is a terrible whining sound. I am taking it in tomorrow to have it checked out and am fearful that it will not happen while it is in the shop. Will post my results
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    i back up. stop. put trans into D and step on the gas. it takes a second or so before it engages forward gear. i am afraid of jamming (so to speak) it into gear, so now i wait a few seconds before driving forward. any ideas. is this normal?
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    Both of our big Hondas seem to take a second to fully engage Drive after Reverse. Giving the vehicle the time to engage (and ~15 seconds after starting) before hitting the gas is a good practice.
  • nivajnivaj Member Posts: 1
    This isn't one of those 'rotting' or 'burning' smells that people have complained about. The smell that I'm getting occurs only when you first start the fan (AC doesn't need to be on). Then you don't notice it anymore until your eyes start to sting a few minutes later. The smell is more like toluene or a monomer (a chemical used to make plastics). It's a really pungent odor that hits you in the face when the fans are first turned on. I notice the smell the first time after the last service was done on the car (did a 6 month minor service and check the AC output..whatever that means, topped up all fluids, lubricate chasis/hinges, etc.).
    Any ideas as to what this smell could be would be much appreciated. The Honda dealer wasn't much help...they said I was imagining it!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A local newspaper is looking to talk to a consumer that has or is interested in purchasing a minivan. Please contact ctalati@edmunds.com by December 30 and provide a daytime number that the reporter can contact you back at.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• whcoombswhcoombs Member Posts: 4
    I have also had this problem. Every time I would go to the dealer they would test drive it and say. Well sir I can not hear anything and we can not fix anything that we cannot hear" So off I went. One very snowy day it did it again when I was right there at the dealer. They heard it and replaced it one week later(12/15/06). Now two weeks(12/28/06) I am hearing the same noise. Maybe I can them to replace the oil tank to see if that will help. Any update Mom24 on your recent noise.
  • waltermittywaltermitty Member Posts: 2
    I have a question. I am in the process of trying to buy a 05 Odyssey EXL with about 24K miles on it for around $25K. first, is that a good price? It has a sunroof, dvd, cd disc changer and is in very good shape with tan leather interior.

secondly, when test driving it today my wife and i both noticed a vibration in the steering wheel, and the engine seemed to be a bit loud for what i would think would be a very insulated ride. The service manager then checked it out and said it was a bad motor mount which they're apparantly fixing before we would close on the deal.

Then, we noticed a burning smell that reminded me of an electrical burn. Have there been any known issues with smell in the 05+?

It seems like a lot to digest especially as it was our first experience with the Odyssey but we love the car. Any input is greatly appreciated.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I have an '06 EXL/NAV/RES and can offer some comments.

1. The vibration in the steering wheel will probably not go away with the replacement of the engine mounts. Ours had both replaced & still have vibration issues.

2. The engines are louder than the previous generation models ('99-'04). Toyota Siennas are probably just as loud.

3. Burning smell - did not experience - maybe the oil was just changed & some dripped on the engine.

4. '05+'06's have "jerky" transmissions - the new '07's have a re-designed 4-shaft transmission (same as Pilot & Ridgeline). Honda stated the new transmission "alleviates any concerns that consumers may have"

5. Most important - the '05 & '06 Odysseys have a droning defect. Basically the noise sounds like blowing air across an empty 2 liter soda bottle. There is no fix for the problem if you have the defect. A service bulletin TSB-050 tries to reduce the noise but many report unsuccessful attempts (including myself).

I would look at buying an '07 if you can afford it. You should be able to get a new '07 EX-L for around $28-29k.

Most of the bugs were worked out the '07 including the drone defect. The shift points have been changed so the 60mph 2000rpm drone is essentially gone.

Hope this helps with your decision.
  • bradahbradah Member Posts: 6
    I have 5 children all under 7 and there are 3 carseats in the back. With the seats so tightly packed together, it is quite difficult getting them all buckled in. Getting the male fitting to click in to the buckle is very very difficult.

I was wondering if there is a seat belt extender that would click into the buckle thus extending the buckle portion that the actual belt attaches to. Six to 12 inches would be sufficient. :confuse: :cry:
  • lucanuslucanus Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2005 EXL and i have exactly the same problem,usually I noticed the noise when the engine is warm and making turn on either side. Is there a service bulletin from honda regarding this problem? I had numerous problem with my o5 exl,water leak on windshield,rock piercing the condenser (which I installed the wire mesh after it was fixed),grinding noise with hard breaking which was fixed 6 months ago. The problem is that the noise is not consistent but definitely i noticed after driving for at least 30 min you will hear the noise. ">
  • mcbucksmcbucks Member Posts: 1
    Interesting. we have exactly the same problem with our Ody 2005. After raising the problem with the dealer, a filter got replaced for 130$ but it turned out that it did not solve the issue. Have a next appointment in a weeks time. Hope this gets resolved. It is definitely not an imagination issue! keep you posted
  • bradahbradah Member Posts: 6
    As for the wire mesh........ what do you use and how do you attach it?
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    You can attach it with plastic wire ties. If you really want it to look nice, visit www.mrgrille.com

You can find it on eBay direct for $79. Looks great and I am very pleased with the quality and the look is awesome.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    there is a discussion regarding the grill insert. called "Honda Odyssey - Grill Insert". it is a simple - and depending on how you do it - and relatively inexpensive procedure.
  • dixiechick109dixiechick109 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 Odyssey with Leather, Navi, and DVD. I have been to the dealer 7 times in less than two years. Should I consider this to be normal for a Honda?
  • gotribegotribe Member Posts: 101
    Well that depends. What have you been in for? Regular maintenance? Warranty repairs? Other problems?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    bradah, one of our members, chimrichalds, explains it in our Honda Odyssey Grille Insert topic.

He's also provided a step-by-step guide with photos here:
    Chim's CarSpace

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review