Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• jp96jp96 Member Posts: 1
    Can I ask what state you are in? That is a great price!
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    1. Is the VCM the next great thing? Considering the complaints about as mileage and considering that the mileage for VCM seems to be about the same as the models without VCM, I would say it doesn't appear to work or at least doesn't work with significant results.

2. Can't comment but would hope the system "rotates" somehow so that wear is evenly distributed but I don't know.

3. When I test drove the Ody, the Lazy Susan appeared to be great for the middle row people but it is very awkward for the driver and front passenger. Plus it doesn't rotate when the little door is pen but only when the large door is open which opens against the driver if I remember correctly.

4. I would have killed for that feature in my old Astro.
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    4. I would have killed for that feature in my old Astro.

Chevy helped keep you out of prison, it seems... ;-)
  • etaeta Member Posts: 33
    > 2. Can't comment but would hope the system "rotates" somehow so that wear is evenly distributed but I don't know.

A Honda salesman (so take this with a grain of salt) told us that it's always the rear 3 cylinders which shut down.

ETA
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    The hardware to disable the valves for the VCM system is present on the rear bank of three cylinders only.
  • twins2twins2 Member Posts: 16
    1) Do either the Sienna or Ody come with EST (electronic stability traction control to prevent rollover/etc)
    2) Do Ody drivers miss AWD in snowy inclement weather?
    3) I have to confess, my wife also has issues with driving a minivan and I do not. Practicality must be a y-linked trait!

hoping to decide between the two in the next few weeks. Our twins arrive this summer. I was leaning toward the AWD Sienna living in the NE, but like the nav system and pricing better in the Ody
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    Re:#1 I believe that Honda calls their "EST" system "VSA" (Vehicle Stability Assist). VSA is standard on all ODY trims including ABS and Traction Control. You can learn more about what is standard on the Honda by viewing the specifications at
    http://www.hondacars.com
  • nomorefordsnomorefords Member Posts: 3
    1) Ody has this feature as standard on all Ody's (VSA). On Sienna it depends on the model/package.
    2) Unless you get a lot of snow (i.e. frequent 6" or worse storms) or have a steep private driveway I would say skip the AWD (see the Sienna club web site to discover the crappy mileage you can expect if you go this route)
    3) I assume these are your first children - congratulations! The minivan is absolutely, without any doubt, the best vehicle for young families (my opinion based on personal experience AND several friends who swore they would never own a van, had kids, bought a van and now confess they really like having a van!)

I struggled with the same Sienna vs. Ody decision (you probably will be happy with either one and will never know if the other one would have been slightly "better").

I finally made up my mind and will be picking up my new 05 Ody EX tomorrow (bye bye 96 Windstar).
  • djm1djm1 Member Posts: 1
    We live in the Boston area and spend a lot of time skiing up north and the lack of awd was the primary thing holding us back from buying an Odyssey. We drove the Odyssey back-to-back with the Sienna and, for us, the Odyssey was the clear choice. We also did not like the fact that the awd Siennas have no spare tire. We picked up our Odyssey ten days ago and took it skiing the first weekend we had it. Over a foot of snow in NH and it handled perfectly. Very little difference in the snow from the Pilot we traded in. We were following SUVs to and from the mountain on messy roads and had no problem. Also cruised up a hill perfectly that the Saab in front of us was having trouble climbing. I was dead set against a minivan, but we both love the Odyssey and, after having driven it in the snow, have no regrets. NAV system and RES are great as well.
  • atobatob Member Posts: 2
    Just finished reading all of the messages here, which took some time! Thanks for all the groundwork everyone has done.

We are torn between the Odyssey EX and the Toyota XLE with option 7, though leaning toward the Honda. We are have a 3.5 yr old and I am expecting twins this spring.

My question is whether or not anyone has experience having extra tether attachment points installed by Honda behind the third row seats? We were able to do that in my old Saturn. I realize this is not as safe as using latch--I am thinking of times when we are hauling extra children around and would take short journeys with extra car seats.

My second question is about AWD--we have lived in CT for 3 years and in our 94 Saturn SL2 and 2002 Saturn L100 we have never needed AWD. Is this going to be different in a minivan?

Thanks for any help you can offer. BTW we are edging toward the Honda because of the easier access to the DVD for long trips, the plus one seat, handling issues, and price. I prefer the flexibility of the 7-seat arrangement in the Sienna, the greater number of Latch points, and subjectively, the interior and exterior looks.

I feel I must comment on the thread as to women having more issues with being seen in a minivan. Speaking as a card (and twin)-carrying woman, I care not at all what I look like in a minivan. Better than a 94 Saturn. :)

Cheers all,
    Erin
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    There is no substitute for a combination of AWD and stability control in inclement weather. Whether one would notice a difference between that and a FWD vehicle equipped with VSC is IMO more a function of the severity of the conditions than the vehicles--at some point, there will be a difference, although you may never be exposed to that difference depending on locale. As someone pointed out, the apparent downside to the AWD Sienna can be a hit on gas mileage, although I see 16-17/20-21 reported, which is better than a lot of SUVs (and even some 05 Odys). What is not frequently mentioned is the higher ground clearance on the Sienna, which also has ramifications in snow.
  • twins2twins2 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks everyone for your advice. We're in the boston area as well. I was originally leaning toward the Ody, but with all our recent storms, I thought AWD would be better. Sounds like either will be a good choice. We'll re-test drive both at post our final decision. Sounds like the Ody is fine in the snow but has a lower clearance. Having driven in several snowstorms (had to for getting to work), I much prefer AWD in that scenario....
  • atobatob Member Posts: 2
    To clarify my message above.... I finally found out that Honda does not authorize tether attachment points but you can do so on an aftermarket basis. Anybody have experience doing this aftermarket?

My second question boils down to this--we have never *needed* AWD for our cars, for which we use snow tires, though I have no doubt it might have been useful a few times. Does the additional weight, size, etc. of a minivan create a need which I might not have anticipated?
    Thanks again,
    Erin
  • bruce13bruce13 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned several Odyssey's including my new 05. My dealership also sells Ford's and Toyota's so I thought about a Toyota last winter when I was getting ready to trade, but the looks of the Sienna just don't get it for me. Also if you ask my dealer which one to own they say the Odyssey hands down with the biggest reason being tradein value. They have the highest resale value in the market place and that is very important to me.
  • whodewhode Member Posts: 15
    I'm surprised I haven't seen more about this, but is anyone else concerned about the safety tests on the Honda? One of my main criteria for a minivan is safety so I was really glad that the 2005's came with the side curtain airbags and VSC standard (I do understand that you add them to the Sienna, although they aren't always as easy to get). However, I'd been waiting for the crash test results from the IIHS and they still haven't come out yet. I've been wondering if it has anything to do with the safety concern mentioned in the government crash tests.

If you take a look at safercar.gov, you'll see that the only van that has a safety concern alert on it is the Odyssey. Do you think that maybe Honda's having IIHS hold off on crash tests until they've corrected the safety concern (the driver's side door opened on the side crash test)?

To be fair, I do remember the 2004 Sienna's having an issue with their crash tests, too. It involved leaking gas tanks and eventually they did a recall. Wondering if the same thing's going to happen to the Odyssey. I remember reading something earlier in this thread about someone who's driver's door would open unexepectedly. Maybe it's all related?

Not trying to pick on the Odyssey here, I have a Honda and a Toyota sedan and am torn between the Odyssey and Sienna. Just trying to see if the safety thing might be a problem.
    Check the NHTSA ratings on that site. The Ody received five stars for both side and frontal impact. The driver's side door did open, leading to a qualfication on the rating, but five stars is still five stars (IMO). Another interesting thing I noticed is that the Sienna actually lost a star from '04 to '05 (5 stars to 4 stars)for front impact despite the fact that the vehicles are the same AFAIK.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    I still think they are equal.
    The Ody has a few things I wish the Sienna has, and the Sienna has a few things I wish the Ody has.
    But if Toyota could incorporate what they did with the 2006 Avalon into the 2006 Sienna, it would be a home run to me: Optitron gauge, chrome grille, plenty of woodtrim, Voice-Activate NAV, Smart-Key Access, and 6 CD changer in NAV models?

It's like combining the best of the Ody and Sienna into one awesome minivan.

Now that's a concept!
    Haven't they thought of that?
    Hopefully by now?
    NOT.

Peace.
  • pdamonpdamon Member Posts: 1
    Do either vehicle Sienaa or Oddessy) accomodate 3 car seats in the second row?
    Thanks
  • siennaman2siennaman2 Member Posts: 7
    only toyota LE 8 passenger does. Keep in mind though you sacrifice not having arm rests ever once car seats are gone
  • fromtorontofromtoronto Member Posts: 1
    I am undecided between the Sienna and Odyssey. One thing I am concerned about is the recommendation to use premium fuel in the Sienna brochure.This was of course pointed out to me by the Honda salesperson. The Toyota people said I don't have to worry about that. I don't want to go on long trips and listen to the engine ping away. Gas is very expensive up here. Can anyone give me some advice on this?
  • jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
    I have owned a 2004 Sienna XLE Limited for almost 14 months. Have only used regular gas and no problems what so ever. I live in a suburb of Buffalo so our weather is like yours.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Regular works fine in the Sienna. IF you plan on towing or otherwise anticipate a much higher load on the engine than normal, you may want to use premium. You can't damage the engine running regular due to any 'pinging' issues because if the engine management systems detect any 'pinging', it will automatically adjust the ignition timing. However, I know of at least one Sienna owner with access to some advanced engine diagnostic hardware who has actually monitored the engine performance running both premium and regular with the engine under load. He has reported absolutely no degredation in engine performance, or problems with engine pinging, while running regular unleaded and the engine under a full load.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    "My second question boils down to this--we have never *needed* AWD for our cars, for which we use snow tires, though I have no doubt it might have been useful a few times. Does the additional weight, size, etc. of a minivan create a need which I might not have anticipated? "

The additional weight of a minivan makes traction better in the snow. Ever see people put weight in the back of their pickups for traction? Same principle.

A fully loaded minivan with snow tires will probably do better in the snow than many 4wd vehicles.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    Does it help you get going, but once going, not much else? I mean, if you've got traction control, ABS, and stability control, what is the need for AWD in a mini-van?
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    It's a good question. CR tested FWD against AWD vehicles and concluded that an AWD without snow tires had better traction than a FWD vehicle equipped with the snows. The problem is, many believe that they become invincible. They forget that AWD equipped vehicles will not help them stop quicker and handling capabilities are no better in snow and ice conditions. This is what I experienced when driving in these winter conditions (FWD vs. AWD). We should all drive cautiously in adverse weather conditions, with or without AWD (everyone seems to be in a hurry these days).
  • rockscalerrockscaler Member Posts: 2
    It's weight over the drive wheels that improve traction (hence bags of sand in the rear drive pickup). In a minivan more weight is over the rear wheels than in a sedan which hurts FWD traction. I have a steep driveway and have spun my way up in FWD sedans and mini vans and been stuck until I get out the salt and sand. That's why I now have two Subaru's.
    That's also why I have ruled out the Honda in favor of the AWD Sienna. Yes the Honda will be ok 99% of the time but that other 1% creates too many hassles that I don't want to deal with.
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Here is another classic "sour grapes" person pretending to be "sweeter"(i.e. more knowledgeable) than the folks from CR, C & D, R & T, Money, Kiplingers, etc who have awarded the Ody the best in its class.

Let's us not waste any more of our time on this!
    One wonders what poduct he's an advisor for. OK, enough.
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    "...but the Honda has the seatbelt in the frame of the van if the seat is over one spot and you get into a collision that person is flying sideways out of the seat. Not in a toyota, the seatbelt is in the seat, which moves with the passenger.

hhmm seatbelt in the Honda is securely anchored to the frame and stays put along with occupant. Toyota is secured to seat so when seat flies loose, so does occupant. Winner - Honda!

The noise of the Honda engine compared to a Toyota is alot more noisier and a rougher drive, the Honda feels like a cargo van with the lazy daisy hideaway storage is a neat idea, but it creates more road noise as there is no insulation to prevent it.

You can fill the hole with insulation but then the space become unusable. Hard to have useable space and insulation at the same time.

A TV show I watched - Name of show please, hopefully not a demo show at the Toyota dealer)

showed a Honda and a Toyota side by side, to prove who was better and the toyota had more speed (Honda more get up and go)

I would rather have get up and go when I get on the freeway at 4:45Pm than top end speed which won't be used rarely. (I don't get through Bonneville Salt Flats too often.)

Toyota better gas mileage. Toyota quieter, Toyota Nicer, and the honda does not have a good heating system with the vents in the rear of the vehicle for heating that is so stupid. Honda wants to consume more gas and energy to cool the van with very little venting. hah hah.

Hhmmm- We complain about vents in the rear to heat the occupants. So you would rather have a system with cooling vents but no heat for the winter??? What is so stupid about having vents for heating in the back?

Not sure what the problem is. you complain about heating vents then complain about the energy to cool the vehicle. Which do you want. Seems I have read the vents in the back of the Toyota Sienna only cool but don't heat. Lovely for wintertime.

Your posts comfuses me. What do you want? A vehicle with poor acceleration for faily driving and a vehicle with no heat in the back?
  • texasmichaeltexasmichael Member Posts: 5
    I have been reading this forum for a long time and never posted any message.
    There are some interesting behaviors of those so-called Odyssey fans. They seems that anybody says something again Odyssey is not knowledgable and is a "sour grapes' person.
    I have been looking for a minivan for more than one year and waiting for 2nd year model of Sienna.
    For me, no minivan is perfact. Any minivan has its pros and cons. I just picked up what meets my needs. Although Odyssey is praised as best minivan but is not best for me. I am the person to use the minivan. I choose what is best for me. Not some magzine reviewers. Here is the list I don't like Odyssey:
    1. The front legroom is shorter than Sienna. 40.8 in vs 42.9 in. I am 6 feet tall. My leg is not comfortable when I sit in Odyssey. BTW, no telescopic steering wheel on Odyssey is not good either.
    2. The sunroof should be optional. My head touches the ceiling when I sit in Odyssey Touring.
    3. The leather on Odyssey is not nice as Sienna's.
    4. The Odyssey sliding door tracks keep annoying me. Why can't Honda engineers just hide it? It's ugly. Because the track position, it makes the gas cap look ridiculous.
    5. The overall exterior looking of Odyssey is dumb. It makes the van look more heavier. The front head chrome stripe is too wide.
    6. I like to move the second row passenger seat to middle. The seat belt mounted on frame is not convienent for people accessing third row when the person on second row seat has the seat belt on. If you think about in the incident that the seat is loose, your body is not tied to frame either because one end of seat belt is on the seat.
    7. The Hondy dealer's arrogance pushed me away from Odyssey. The Toyota dealers are very willing to deal.

Of course I like some standard features of Odyssey, such as side airbags, traction control, rear disc brake, etc. But I just feel that Sienna meets my need.
    BTW, all minivans are boring. They are not sports cars. I don't feel any excitement when driving minivan. It's just a utility vehicle.
    I don't understand how excite some Odyssey fans are. Maybe the best review makes the Odyssey owner superior?
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    I'm 6 foot 1 and find the Touring extremely roomy and comfortable. Didn't even consider the Sienna as they don't have navigation here in Canada.

I'm least bothered by the track as I find all mini-vans rather ugly.
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    I think the reaction was more toward the seemingly poorly-reasoned (and certainly poorly written!) posting of the poster (What is a "poduct" anyway and what would a "poductadvisor" have to say about it/them?).

Unfortunately, these forums are written communication and those challenged in writing catch a fair share of ..., well, "stuff" (this being a family forum and all....).
    Like you, my wife and I had spent quite a bit of time going between the Sienna and Odyssey. Frankly, I agree with you regarding the legroom in the Ody; though I think the REAL problem is the fact that the steering wheel doesn't telescope out (I can adjust the seats to get PLENTY of legroom, but then my arms are stretched out to reach the steering wheel). That being said, I driven our Ody on a few extended (>3 hr) drives and felt fine afterwards.

Some of your other complaints seem more subjective in nature (appearance of door tracks, style of van, etc.). To each his own.

I also agree that I believe the way that Toyota mounted the seat belt for the moveable 2nd row seat was better (ummm, sportymonk? If the seat 'flies loose' it's not gonna make a BIT of difference where the seatbelt is mounted since that will be the least of your worries. That was just lame.)

All that being said, we like the underfloor storage in the Ody. We like the fact that every Ody had all the safety features we were looking for. And we liked the fact that we didn't have to screw with all the junk that Gulf States Toyota typically puts on the vehicles here in Texas. I don't know where you are, but locally the best I could get a Sienna XLE equipped comparably to our Ody EX-L was around $32,300+TTL (and at that, the sales staff acted like they were making a HUGE concession). We were able to pick up an Ody EX-L for $28,600+TTL in Houston.

Personally, my wife and I thought that the Sienna was just a BIT better than the Odyssey....but certainly not nearly $4k better.

Good luck with your Sienna. They are REALLY nice vans.
    I am in Austin, Texas. I really think you are a reasonable person when I enjoyed reading most of your posts. I agree that most of my reasons about appearance are subjective. The only thing I can't bear with is the front legroom. When I sit on Sienna, I have about 1 inch spare space between my left knee and the panel. I always pull the driver seat to most backward position. When I sit on Odyssey, there is almost no spare room for my left knee. I need to twist my leg a little outward. The specs say that the front legroom on Odyssey is about 2 inches shorter than Sienna. Odyssey sacrifices the front legroom for 3rd row seat legroom. The 3rd row seat on Sienna is terrible. I cannot sit on it when the seat back is straight. No enough legroom. Luckily, I won't sit on 3rd row seat.
    I like the underneath storage idea on Odyssey too. It can keep your precious items out of sight. I drove some places for sightseeing. I cannot find a good space to hide my digital SLR on Sienna.
    I paid dealer's invoice + $200 + TTL. Since I don't want all the junk put by Gulf States Toyota. I ordered my van thru Champion Toyota in Austin. It delivered just one week after I ordered. Pretty impressive.
    Like you said, both are really nice minivans. Just pick up the one which fits your needs and you feel comportable. There is no need to bang other vans which are not the one you chose.
    BTW, I am also a little bit worried about the Odyssey's transmission.

Good luck with your Odyssey too! Enjoy!
    Small world; I'm in Austin (Cedar Park) too. Dealt with Champion on the purchase of my Celica a few years back. When my wife and I were trying to get decent prices on the Sienna, we couldn't get near that deal though.

Agree on the 3rd row issue: Odyssey seemed to have more room; I think the 3rd row was easier to access in the Sienna. But it's not like I'll be spending any time back there. One other thing I forgot to mention; I like the +1 seat in the Ody A LOT better than the 8 seat version of the Sienna. I was pretty unimpressed when I first saw the +1 seat (?????that thing is supposed to seat a HUMAN???) but was pleasently surprised when I actually used it. Don't think I'd want to ride to Dallas on it but a short trip cross town would be perfectly fine. And I think the 2nd row captains chairs are more comfy than the outboard seats in the Sienna 8-seater. Agree that the leather in the Sienna is better than in the Ody, but then you can't get leather (factory) in a Sienna 8-seater.

The underfloor storage WAS a sales point; but we haven't actually used it yet. I think anything we put in there will be stuff that is RARELY accessed (jumper cables, 1st aid kit, etc.)

All in all, I think they're both very good vans, each with their own set of selling points. I think people just need to determine what THEY are looking for in a van to figure which best fits THEIR needs.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I am rather surprised at your complaint about the front legroom of the Odyssey. I'm 6-4 (with a 34 inch inseam) and have plenty of legroom in my Touring. Agree that it should have a telescoping steering wheel. Wish Odyssey and Sienna BOTH had it and the Touring's adjustable pedals.

Here in Central Ohio it's the Toyota stores that display the arrogance - a major reason I went with Honda (as well as a lesser street price on a comparably equipped model).

Enjoy your Sienna - it's a fine product.
    I think it depends on how I sit. I usually put my left foot on the pedal. Not deeply under the instrument panel.

Most of us have experienced that dealer's attitude could affect somebody's buying decision.

I have a friend who is looking for a minivan because he will have second kid soon. He leans to Odyssey. He owns two Camry now. One is 15 years old and one is 5 years old. Both are running great. He just simply wants to switch to another auto manufacturer.

My Sienna is my third Toyota vehicle. I wanted to buy a Honda van. I shopped 2004 and 2005 Odyssey but chose Sienna at the end. Like I said before, both are fine vehicles. It won't go wrong if I choose any one. I just don't like to see that one minivan owner puts all "bad" words on the other.
  • inewtonusinewtonus Member Posts: 3
    I have been debating Odyssey vs Sienna for some time now. CR got things right about responsiveness of the Honda as well as comfort of the Sienna. For me Sienna is hands down better on comfortable driving. We plan to take cross-country trips and with a chronic back problem, the Sienna seats/telescoping wheel seemed much better. Has anyone noticed that the lumbar support in the Odyssey is way too pronounced, even in the lowest position. I've taken a test drive over to a seat guy who says he can fix it, but I'm still leery. However, on the flip side, we want to tow a pop-up that is close to the 3500 lb ceiling. The Odyssey has a much better axle ratio for towing 4.43:1 vs the 3.08:1 for the Sienna. Plus it has more power. Does anyone have experience with towing using these vehicles? Still debating...
  • indy93indy93 Member Posts: 97
    I was going back and forth like alot of other people. Finally, HID and the sound system pushed me to choose the Sienna. Both vans are fine products. Each has features the other lacks. However last week I read a post about an 04 Sienna getting T-boned in an intersection crash! Sienna was struck on the passenger side at a speed estimated at 60mph by the police! The owner and the family(two boys and a newborn) lived to tell about it. They reported omly minor bruises and one child who required a few stitches from his head striking the side window latch. After the impact the passenger door was still intact and could be opened. The Sienna was hit so hard it was shoved into a Taurus and caved in the side of the Taurus up to the center console The structure of the Sienna servived and protected the family from serious injury. This Sienna did not even have side air bags! (LE) I have heard that the Sienna has heavily reinforced structure and one salesman claimed titaninum is even used in it's supports. (not likely) However this crash report convinced me that I made the right choice!
    Keep in mind that the Sienna is better prepped from the factory for towing; you'll have to add more stuff to the Ody (trans/power steering coolers, etc.). In addition, if you are towing anything close to the max rating, you probably shouldn't be towing in top gear.
  • minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    I'm 6ft 3in and I have plenty of head room. :D
  • b_radb_rad Member Posts: 38
    I'm a big guy myself and found the Honda to be more comfortable. I had both the Ody and Sienna for an overnight test drive. I could get a better equipped Sienna for a lot less than the Honda but when I put gas in the Sienna and is started to ping it really turned me off. I thought that something was wrong with the Senna and then found out it needed premium gas. Also, when you run regular unleaded, you loose nearly 6% of the horsepower. additionally, I found out that without running the premium, the car borders on passing emissions. Other than that I really liked both cars.
  • marcriesmarcries Member Posts: 5
    Actually, for me, the choice was fairly simple.

My requirements were 1) Have to be able to fit a piece of plywood in the back, 2) AWD or 4WD, 3) 4-wheel disc brakes, 5) Reasonably affordable, and 6) Reasonable gas mileage. The Sienna is the only 2005 model minivan that meets all these criteria.

I did look at alternatives like the Suburban (which has worse gas mileage and is outside my budget in 4WD) and the long-bed Silverado (poor gas mileage, no standard rear disc brakes for 2005, no Quadrasteer [with rear discs] option for long beds).

I really did not want a pickup (having had one is the past) because sometimes I do need to get a sheet or two of plywood and sometimes I do need to take 5 or 6 people someplace. My 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, at 216K miles, is getting long in tooth and after spending 8 years in the Pacific Northwest, AWD and 4-wheel disc brakes were something I wasn't going to do without on my next purchase.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Most cars in this catagory will have rear disc brakes as standard equipment.

I don't understand why this would be such a big deal. they really don't stop you any faster or last any longer.

Moot point, since most cars will have these but I'm just asking.

Me, I wouldn't care either way but given a choice, I would go for the discs.

Just curious, that's all.
  • gtthebstvangtthebstvan Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone I just bought a 2005 honda Odyssey over a 2005 Toyota Sienna. I own a 1998 Accord EX-V6 also so I was always kind of leaning towards Honda. Before the Odyssey, I had a 1993 GMC Safari and I liked the room of the van but I hated the van its self so I decided maybe it was time to get a new one. Well here is my 2 cents worth. In my opinion, I find the Odyssey's seats more comfortable. I find that the Sienna's seats are just way too soft and it is hard on my back. I think I just need a bit of a stiffer seat but not too stiff just perfect like the Odyssey's. I have road and drove both for a long time, seeing how my aunt had a 2004 Toyota Sienna. (as far as I know there is no difference between the 2004 Sienna and the 2005 Sienna). I bought the EX and was also looking at the Sienna LE which is what my aunt has. I really like the leather in my Accord and would of liked it in my van, but no only do I go through bottles and bottles of Armorall a year, but I will have kids sliding in and out of the van and I dont want the leather to look like crap. I would of really liked the sunroof and thought the VCM was cool. The only complaint is that maybe the Odyssey is abit too low. I always like the look and feel of lower vehicles, I feel more safe in them, but when I was backing out of my brothers driveway at night, my front tire just slipped off the curb and my bumper hit. I was not going fast so it was just because it was too low. I think it looks good like that, but they could of made it just a little bit higher. The Sienna is very high on the other hand and dont think I will ever have to worrie about the bumper o that van hitting anything. I find Toyota went cheap with the saftey features. If I were to get a Sienna, I wouldnt of got the AWD LE, but I would of wanted traction control. I like the idea of all 3 rows curtin air bags with rollover sensors, and also the front side airbags with sensors. I think it is stupid that you have to pay extra for all of that and why cant the Sienna just come standard with traction control for the FWD Sienna? All of thoes saftey features come standard on the lowest level of the Odyssey, the LX. Dont get e wrong though, I really liked the sienna too. I just found the steering aswell to be wayyyyy too lose on the Sienna. You could barelly even tell you moved the tires. I like the feel of the odyssey's sporty handeling and ride. Now on the downside for the odyssey, I found when the two middle seats were slid together, there was much more passage room in the sienna for the back row. From pictures, I would of thought the sienna's 8 passenger middle row would be more comfortable, but then again there is no arm rest and all 3 seats are smaller. The +1 seat is actually very comfortable for such a small seat. I was very surprised when I sat in it. Sure you take up some of the other 2 seats, but they are HUGE so there is enough for 3 grown adults in the middle row with no problems or uncomfort. Eather way I would of been very happy with eather van, because I know Toyota is a very reliable company as well. But this is my third Honda (1985 Prelude, 1998 Accord, and 2005 Odyssey) and they have all been extreamlly reliable with very few problems. And for thoes few problems, none of them were major. I have always like Toyota too, actually with the Accord I was also looking at a Camry as well as a Maxima, but Honda somehow always has exacally what I am looking for. The Odyssey just has what I wanted moreso then the Sienna. Thats just my 2 cents worth.
    Hard to read a one paragraph post that long....

I would lay off the Armor-all if I were you for a number of reasons.
  • 05ody05ody Member Posts: 103
    Yeah sorry about that I shoulda spaced. Why not clean the leather with armor-all?it shines it up
    That stuff will dry out your leather and give it a shiny, artificial greasy feel.

Ask any professional detailer, they hate it. I've seen dashboards crack a week after Armor All was applied...mine!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    That was the Armor All they made 10 years ago. The new stuff has the anti-crack guarantee. So, should not be a problem.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Use Lexol.