Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I don't think anyone would get in they're car and say to themselves, hey, I think I'll cause a crash today!!!.

Well, glad we cleared that up. ;)

My husband is into all his little toys "electronics and such"..he's not gonna go around and watch movies while driving

Well, you implied otherwise, which is why the response was so dynamic. Simply put, I truthfully believe everyone who uses a cell-phone "means well, cares for their children, and would never do anything to harm someone else." In fact, they probably say this right up until the time they slip up and rear-end me, hit a pedestrian, or jump a curb, because they were distracted for 1 1/2 seconds. That's all it takes.

(Your reply from earlier:)I don't agree w/playing movies on the Navi, I would never do it..as for my husband, well, that is his decision..I dont' agree with it.

I have one too (that i use on trips) - it's a portable model (Garmin StreetPilot)with voice prompts so I never have to look off the road. There are distractions (NAV, Cell Phone, A/C controls), and then there are distractions (watching a movie). I also change my stereo station and volume a lot, but I used the buttons on my steering wheel to do so in order not to look away.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Nope, not taking it out on others - merely trying to sound a clarion call so that perhaps, just perhaps, there'll be one less knock at a loved one's door by the police.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    that DWD (driving while distracted) is a threat to everyone, and there are a couple of topics in our News & Views Forum that may be of interest to those who want to share opinions:

Better Driving to Make the Roads Safer
    Is Eating While Driving Killing Us? Weign-in on safety concerns

Can we get back to our kinder, gentler discussion about the Ody vs. the Sienna?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• mcjazzzymcjazzzy Member Posts: 62
    For one thing I never implied that my husband watches movies on his navi..I answered a question from someone else asking if the nav in the sienna can do that in the park position, I told her no, but it's possible to get it hooked up and then I explained that my husband had that done, That was it!!!..Then the comments came rolling in, oh, another threat to our streets...Why would I imply such? That's how YOU interpret it....I'm very happy for you and the portable Garmin Street Pilot..
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    FWIW, I read your comment as your saying that your husband got it done so he could watch movies while driving, and you disagreed with his decision, but could not stop him.
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    Let's give this poor lady a break. She obviously does not condoan watching movies while driving and just attempted to answer a question that was posted.

She certainly can't baby sit her husband 24/7 just like your wives can't baby sit each of you. He understands it's wrong and dangerous and she strongly agrees.

What do you poor chaps want her to do...divorce the guy unless he agrees to alter the wiring of his NAV system???

To our HOSTS point, lets move on to what this thread is truly supposed to be about...the superiority of the Odyssey to the Sienna :shades:
    Alright, bridging back to the topic The Odyssey nav can be programed while the vehicle is in motion. The Sienna's cannot. Which is better from that aspect?
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    We are still comparing Sienna with Oddy. Major reason we are more interested in Sienna is the smallish 8th seat in the Oddy. Please provide feedback on how small the eighth seat really is in everyday use. I know it is not for a child seat but if you do have child seats on two captain (outer) seats in second row, is there enough room for an adult to sit in the middle ? we have two young ones and my wife sometimes prefers to be with them esp. on long drives. Our preference is not to send any of the two to the third row.
    Ok, I'm glad to know it isn't just me who read it like that...
    The Odyssey, because you can have your passenger program the system. Important to do when zipping down an interstate and needing to "find nearest restroom." :)

And, we aren't beating up mcjazzy - just trying to figure out what her point was (around the name-calling and story changing).
  • aa0526aa0526 Member Posts: 29
    A. When comparing the 3rd row storage (behind seat) on both ODY and Sienna ---

1. The ODY 'looks' bigger BUT
    2. Spec wise, the Sienna is 6 cu ft. bigger

I am confused. Can someone tell me which has more capacity and why would the other look bigger?

B. When folding the 2nd row, the ODY's 2nd row chairs seem easier to fold. When trying to fold the Sienna's, it seems I have to extra careful lest I get my fingers stuck!

Is this a fair evaluation?

----
    I am leaning towards the Sienna but wife is leaning towards the ODY. I bet though that once we test drive- wife will lean towards the Sienna as she prefers the plush ride.
    The most important thing is not the size of space but how useful it is for your particular application. Once upon a time I bought a PT Cruiser based, in part, on its supposed fantastic interior versatility. Unfortunately, it couldn't carry my golf clubs without folding down the second seat, an unacceptable outcome for me.

The only "fair" evaluation is how things seem to you. However, it's always a good idea to double check things. The first time I removed the second row seats from my '05 Odyssey it was....damned near impossible for some reason. I still don't know what my problem was but subsequent removal has gone smoothly.

These are both great vans. Just pick the one that best suits your needs and taste and you'll have a winner.
    I did not say that..go back a read...I said that he had it done and when DVD's are played, it can be viewed on the NaVI..AND that I don't agree with it..It's been played only when I'm driving for long distances because I get car sick..he' watches it as a passenger and I'M DRIVING..I can't see what he does when he's by himself and it's his decision what he does, I may not agree with it..I never said I can't stop him..so please before you start writing things, do a little research first. Besides, I don't have to explain my life to you, you don't pay for a damn thing that's mine!!!
    Just for the record..the guy who's busting my chops doesn't even own an odyssey or a sienna..he just borrows his brothers, sisters, uncles, cousins, grand mothers' car...and the odyssey he used was a 2000 model. Obviously, he has nothing better to do, if someone has to go to a forum just to meet and talk with people without even owning or shopping for the product, has to be pretty lonely...
    I'm still figuring out what you're point is for even being in this forum..you don't own any vehicles on the subject...and a 2000 Ody doesn't count..
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    Your spunky and I like that...if we both weren't married...I'd ask you out :blush:
    OK - I went back to reread your post, but couldn't find it. Regardless, I'm willing to believe that I misunderstood or misread your post.

I do just want to comment that I thought you were saying your husband drove and watched DVDs, and I thought that before I read the other guy's post, so it wasn't that he swayed me. But again, I'm willing to concede that I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

I'm ready to move on. :blush:
    Same here...lets please move on to another subject..like, nice weather we're having???
    LOL..it's definetly the puerto rican in me..
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    There is NOT enough space for even a child on the 8th seat(middle seat 2nd row)of the Odyssey if a child seat is placed on each outside seat. However, I do NOT think an adult could sit comfortably on the middle seat of the Sienna 8 passenger if a child seat were placed on each outside seat.
    The questions needed to be asked are:

1. Can a child seat be placed and secured on the middle seat in the 2nd row of the Odyssey?

2. Can an adult sit comfortably on the outer seat of the 8 passenger Sienna if a child seat is placed in the middle?

I own a 7 passenger 2006 Sienna LE because the 8 passenger Sienna does NOT have any armrests in the 2nd row. The Odyssey middle seat of 2nd row would be comfortable for me to ride hundreds of miles as long as both outer seats in the 2nd row were slid backward or forward the same distance.

The Odyssey 2nd row seats are MORE comfortable than the Sienna 2nd row seats.
    ... or like "Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna". The discussion about who said what is now over. Let's get back to the topic at hand before posts have to be removed.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• aglinggaglingg Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the 2007 Sienna with the DVD player has an aux input that will allow the kids to play video games like the Odyssey does? I actually can't believe I care as the kids play too much video games already, but it does keep them quiet on long trips.
  • segarci1segarci1 Member Posts: 5
    The 2006 has the aux video/audio input... plus AC power to boot! I would expect the 2007 to have the same.
  • aa0526aa0526 Member Posts: 29
    I don't know much about the passenger side airbags on either vans but on either Ody or Sienna - will installing after-market leather affect the passenger side airbags performance?

How about folding the 3rd row? How do after-market leather affect the folding of the 3rd row seats?

Thanks.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    For MY2007, the LE with Package 3 actually gets power sliding doors on both sides. That makes it closer to the Honda EX package, sort of.

It also makes up the HP difference, FWIW.

-juice
    Is this just a bad time to buy a van, or what?

I ask because I'm looking at prices for both and they're significantly higher than they were in the fall.

The Ody LX was $22810 at the local no-haggle place, now it's $23605. EX went from $25552 to $26246.

Sienna got more upgrades for 07, but the price hit was a lot bigger. I saw LE models from $22900 to $23228 (the latter with 8 seats and pkg 3), and now they're running $25276 to $26698!

Yikes.

Is my timing bad for shopping? Maybe wait until spring and incentives will re-appear?

Even left over 06 Sienna models cost more than they did in the fall. Sheesh. :mad:

-juice
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    There seems to be a reduction in the holdback for Odyssey's shipped after Jan 4, and that may be affecting the market a bit.

Right now, the good pricing is for 06 Sedonas (currently running around $17k for an LX w/o options).

More Odyssey deals should come a bit later - there is a minor model change due this fall.
  • labagitlabagit Member Posts: 19
    Excuse me for being ignorant, but I don't understand what is meant by a reduction in the holdback for Odyssey's.

What have you heard about model changes for the fall?
    Holdback is money that a manufacturer rebates to dealers and is calculated as a percentage of MSRP. The holdback on Odysseys had been 3%. So, on a Touring R&N with an MSRP very close to 40K, the holdback was almost $1200. On an LX, the figure would be about $780. This is (in part) why dealers can sell them for less than invoice and still make money.

It is anticipated that Honda will refresh the Odyssey for '08 with minor styling changes, etc. They hold things close to the vest and hard details will be a long while coming.
    My thought is that Odyssey pricing right now has been driven higher by the current Honda financing offer. Just a guess but Toyota's incentives on the '06 models may have been reduced since the December promotion.
  • sjmomsjmom Member Posts: 2
    When using all 8 seats including up to three child booster/ car seats, which vehicle provides greater flexibility?
    I was leaning toward the Honda, because of the leg room in the third row and the fact that you don't have to fold down the seat to get into the third row. I'm just wondering if I'm going to have problems fitting the car seats in, whereas the Sienna can take car seats all across the 2nd row.
    We got a great price on an '06 Sienna - bought it last night. My mind is still a little frazzled, but they gave us $6,000 off MSRP of a Sienna XLE lmtd with aftermarket DVD, which put it more than $2,000 below invoce - and we didn't elect the $2,000 cash-back; we went with the financing deal (5 yrs at 1.9%).

I bet the holdback orsome other incentive Toyota offers to dealers to move '06s is what allowed them to do this and still make money.

PS - The salesman insisted on giving us the deal by overpaying on our trade, rather than reducing the purchase price. I assume it's so he'd get a higher commission. Do you agree? I think doing it this way caused us to pay higher taxes b/c the car we bought was more $$$$ than otherwise. Do you agree?
    My husband said the same thing about the 3rd row on our Sienna that it's a little tight back there..but I was thinking since if it's just children you'll be seating in the 2nd row, do you think that the seats can be moved up alittle so you'll have more leg room in the 3rd row. That might solve the problem for the 3rd row.
  • sjmomsjmom Member Posts: 2
    How about car seats? Do you ever need to put a few in at a time? When I drive carpool, I need to fit in four. Any experience with this?
  • desi0desi0 Member Posts: 3
    Those prices for honda quite good. Can I ask where the dealer is located?
  • yossarian2yossarian2 Member Posts: 1
    Just curious, where did you buy the Sienna?
    Sounds like a deal but maybe they more wiggle room on high-end models like that.

I do agree that they gave you more on the trade to make the sale price seem higher.

Prices I quoted are from fitzmall.com (Toyota) and http://www.brownscar.com/ for Honda Arlington. Both quote no-haggle prices on-line.

I've used Fitz, they are for real. Just add $99 processing, and even that's up front. Prices even include freight (not sure if Browns does for the Honda).

-juice
    Stadium Toyota in Tampa, FL.
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    We paid $26,000 for an EX cloth without any additional upgrades in early December '06. Two different dealers quoted me the same price so I think I got a pretty fair deal. We haggled a little from the original quote, but I opted not to squeeze too much in order not to sour the service relationship I hope to have with their shop.

Oh, and I should add that the purchase was made in Middletown, NY, about 60 miles north of NY City.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    We would be driving a 2006 Odyssey EX cloth if we could have purchased an Ocean Mist Metallic one for $ 26,000 at the time we got our 2006 Sienna LE. :shades:
  • ticzonticzon Member Posts: 3
    I also bought a 2006 Sienna XLE fully stock with leather seats and DVD player. The dealer took off $5000 of the MSR and gave me 5 years at 0% financing. I didn't even have to fight for the deal. Location: San Jose, CA (Capitol Toyota). I bought the Sienna on Jan 14, 2007.
    Just curious since I have no way of knowing MSRP, what was the price in relation to invoice? Thx.
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    That's the prettier color - we went for the light sage mist green metallic (that may not be what Honda calls it exactly, but that's what it looks like). We thought we were buying a color we liked that nobody else had - until we brought it home and started seeing it on Odysseys all over.
    Nevermind. I realized I do have that info. :blush:
  • ticzonticzon Member Posts: 3
    Here is the deal I got:
    2006 XLE Sienna. with option package deal #1.
    Has heated electric leather seat, moon roof, cruise control with the laser, run flat tires, AWD, carpet mats, wheel locks, etc. $35738 + Tax and Lic. I also got the 0% Financing for 60 months. I also put nothing down. I just signed the papers and drove the Sienna off the lot. Dealer said they lost $1100 on my deal. True? Seem to be a good deal, without having to fight for the deal. :confuse: (location: Capitol Toyota, San Jose, CA)
    Lost $1100 maybe until they get their holdback and/or other incentives. They wouldn't sell it for a loss that big.

-juice

• samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Anybody drove the '07 Sienna? Felt any boost in acceleration in real life, or does it look good on paper only? Any other changes?
  • zakimanzakiman Member Posts: 71
    I would like to sell one of my two cars to buy a mninivan in a few months, but I am not sure which one will be more beneficial. car#1 is a 2003 Honda Accord with 120K miles(my commute car, hgwy miles), and car #2 is a 2006 Camry with 10k miles. I am debating on which car I should sell to buy the minivan, considering car#2 will be worth more and hence my down payment will be more. On the other hand car#1 has a lot of miles and I might sell it and make car#2 may commute car. What would you do? any suggestions are welcome.
    We're in a similar situation, with a '98 Forester with 93k miles and an 02 Legacy with 44k miles.

We'll probably keep the newer car. Long-term we'll probably keep it, so whatever more we'd get for it now on the trade would be lost by having to do a 2nd trade down the road.

But...go with your gut. If the Accord feels solid and substantial, like it'll last forever, then keep it. As the owner you know it best. Perhaps also discuss with your mechanic, how long does it feel like it would last?

-juice