Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• ivkivk Member Posts: 1
    Same story here. Check Wikipedia article about Honda Odyssey and you will find a section about the transmission problems. When your car decides to go from overdrive to the second gear at 60 mph this is like slamming your brakes (luckily no one got hurt in our case). Honda would not acknowledge the problem but if you are lucky you will get some "good will" assistance to replace your broken transmission with a renewed (but still defective!) one.
    I will stay away from Honda for now.
  • andy603andy603 Member Posts: 59
    Sorry but after reading this post I had to comment. This poster clearly has some deeply rooted emotional issues and is using this forum for catharsis. NEVER by ANY Honda? Have you looked at the overall sat rating across Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc. The resale values, the NUMBER of CARs they sell in the USA? 'nuff said. Do your research, test drive your car and don't let this nut sway you either toward or away from Honda. The jury should simply disregard the ludicrous rant.
  • phil78phil78 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to all for their input!
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    "If Lexus had a van it'd be a Sienna"

However... my 2008's engine sounds like a tractor, especially for the first 1-2 minutes, then it smoothes out.

The highway noise (or is it the OEM tires?) is high. Will it get better when I get nice Michelins eventually?

Finally, the bumps and road imperfections are very pronounced. I can compare it to my sister's old Highlander which rides as smooth as butter... What gives?

I've had it since new, it's great for our family but it's imperfect and not what you'd expect from a "Lexus". Again, is this normal or should I be concerned with mine?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Simple solution: go test drive another one. Even a pre-owned one. Should give you insight into how similar yours is to others'.
  • richardnvarichardnva Member Posts: 91
    FWIW - The Odyssey run flats (Michelin PAX) only get about 12k miles before needing replacement. At $300 per tire, it's very expensive and due to the built in tire pressure monitors its very expensive to "de PAX" the van and get a different type of tire. If you switch to an Odyssey be careful about run flats. That's the main reason I'm selling mine. I didn't realize the Toyota run flats had the same problem. I guess you have to use a really soft rubber compound to soften the ride from the run flat donut device within the tire.

I agree that the lock out feature on the NAV is a real annoyance, but is good for safety reasons. I had an Acura with NAV and it can be a real distraction when driving. I see both sides, and agree that there should be a sensor in the passenger seat to override the lockout.
    Can you get an Odyssey or Sienna with the Navagation package without the DVD/Entertainment package?

I haven't been to a dealership yet, and cannot determine by the option packages online. It looks like you can get DVD without NAV, but not the other way around. Is it true that once you upgrade to NAV you have to get the DVD entertainment system?

We don't go on long road trips and our typical daily commute is usually only 10-12 minutes to wherever we want to go so I don't really want to introduce the DVD factor every time we get in the car. Our current 05 Odyssey doesn't have either and I'd really like to get NAV on our new van.

Any tips here?
    the fact that you have to load/unload DVDs BEHIND YOU in the Sienna totally negates the alleged safety of the locked-out NAV as well. I can't believe that the new 2010 Sienna's still have the EXACT same NAV and same DVD layout as my 2006. Why they did this I will never know, but anyone considering either a Sienna or Ody needs to actually try to USE the Nav (put in an address, etc) AND try to fidget with the DVD. If you chose Sienna over Ody after you do that, I'd sure like to understand why.
  • speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    The first thing that popped into my mind when I read your post was can you find an aftermarket NAV device you'd be happy with? They're getting cheaper all the time and then you could really save some bucks by just getting an EX or EX-L.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I just saw garmin portable NAV at around $200 plus free updates, why pay exhorbitant in dash prices and then get gouged on updates down the road as well? Same goes for portable DVD players.
    You bring up a good option that we had considered as well. As cost effective as the portables are (compared to the built in option), we've decided to avoid them for two reasons: 1. they are targets for amateur car thieves in our area that like to do rudimentary smash and grabs (even when you hide the actual device the thieves look for the mounting hardware and that gives them the incentive to break in) and 2. the built ins offer larger touch screens and a much cleaner (integrated) installation.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you know if it's possible to get the build in Nav without the Entertainment option?
  • bwiresbwires Member Posts: 6
    We toiled over which minivan to buy for about a year. We test drove so many minivans (used, new, imports, domestic etc.) that it was comical. We went so far as to rent a Chrysler, a Sienna and a Honda.

In April we finally decided, and bought a new '09 Odyssey.

In all of our test drives, we thought the Honda was the clear winner. To me, even though the Sienna comes in second place, it finishes a distant second place.

The Honda was a little more expensive, which was one of the things that delayed our decision. We really wanted to like the Sienna, Sedona, and / or T&C, in the effort to spend a little less ... but in the end we bought what we thought was the best minivan. Had we bought any of the others, we would have felt we had settled.

Three months after purchase, we're extremely happy with our decision.
  • mrscoffieldmrscoffield Member Posts: 14
    After checking out a number of van's and crossovers my husband and I have settled on either an Odyssey or a Sienna. We've test driven the vehicles and this was what we noticed.

-Odyssey has agile steering but more elevated road noise.
    -Sienna has the 2nd row seat that moves forward. (Nice for us because we want more kids).
    -Odyssey has neat storage cubby in front of 2nd row.
    -Sienna has nicer driver and front passenger seats. The Odyssey left us feeling like our knees were in the dashboard, didn't get that in the Sienna.

So weighing the pros of each, I think it's hard to determine a clear winner. I like that Honda's pricing is more upfront than Toyota's, I hate all the bizarre packages.
    do rear entertainment or navigation options interest you? If not, I'd say you did a pretty good comparison and you might want to consider which is a better out the door price. If they matter, I would highly encourage you to functionally test the NAV and DVD *while driving* (your passenger, not you!) on both cars and then decide.
  • eisimingereisiminger Member Posts: 10
    i have a 07 EX ,25000miles so far. only complaints were about soft brakes. latest TSB was installed at 19000 miles ,still soft on initial start up. Becky my service writer told me today !! dont worry about 1st start up,after that the brakes will be good . darn if i dont agree with her and im a mechanic. just returned from a 4500 mile trip and brakes were great even towing my small trailer. 800 lbs. with a 400cc scooter on it . for fun i looked at a 09 seinna today. two quick comments, front seats way too tight for me, 5' 11 at 260 lbs. also why is toy so ugly compared to ody. thanks ike in nm.
    No surprise here as I've posted before about how we're really enjoying our Odyssey.

In my opinion, the Odyssey is an easy winner.

As for your specific observations:
    -The Odyssey is quicker, brakes faster, responds and drives WAY better than the Sienna.

-Road noise ... if there's a difference, I couldn't tell.

- What year were you looking at?? the Odyssey's second row moves forward too.

-The second row storage in the Odyssey is as you say, "neat", but not really worth mentioning. You have to lift up the carpet to get to it. Not super convenient. Also ... I don't think it's big enough to hold the little second row center seat.

- As for the first row seats, if it's a body geometry thing, then I can't speak to that (everyone is a different shape ... I'm 6'2", and I'm comfortable) But, comparing leather seats to leather seats, it's not even close ... the Odyssey's seats are higher quality than the Sienna's.

-QUALITY. Just as I mentioned about the seats, the overall quality is the biggest difference. The Odyssey is more refined. You'll likely spend a little more for the Honda, but you also get a nicer vehicle.

In my opinion, the Sienna wins in only two situations.
    1. If you have to have AWD, buy a Sienna.
    2. If you don't want to spend the extra money for the Odyssey, buy a Sienna.

Outside of that, the Odyssey wins in every category.
  • speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    My wife and I have a 2007 Odyssey EX and we love it, but I wouldn't go so far to say that the Odyssey "wins in every category". From what I've read on this forum and some similar ones it sounds like the current generation Sienna has hit a home run with their engine; it's got a little more pep than the Odyssey coupled with better gas mileage.

Also, a lot of people value a smoother ride and I would agree with the many people on this forum who say that the Sienna has less road noise. For us it wasn't a dealbreaker and we thought the Sienna went a little too far with the soft suspension as it gives it somewhat floatier, boat-like cornering compared to the Odyssey.

Our Odyssey's second row storage stores the center seat just fine; it was specifically designed to fit in there and if you follow the directions in the owner's manual it should be no trouble.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I am concerned over both its poor rear crash test ratings and its 4 star driver protection rating

Phil - keep in mind IIHS has not actually tested a Sienna in rear-end crashes yet. The rating is based only on a static measurement, not the dynamic test with the sled and the crash test dummy. So it's not definitive.

On that very site they show an example of how a Ford outperforms a BMW in the dynamic test, even though they are positioned similarly (and the BMW "looks" more expensive), so the actual safety involved much more than meets the eye.

We should reserve judgement until they actually test a Sienna.

I noticed the lack of a dead pedal in the Ody as well, something exacerbated by the fact that it's supposed to be the driver's minivan.
    The Odyssey is quicker
    :confuse:

Seriously? Source please?

Tests I've seen put the Sienna way, way ahead of the Ody in acceleration. In C&D tests it won in every single acceleration test by a wide margin and still got better observed MPG by +3mpg.

And the funny thing is C&D's 0-60 is among the slower times quoted for the Sienna. I've seen as quick as 7.0 seconds to 60mph. One owner went as far as video taping an acceleration run.

I thought the Ody's leather was hard, we weren't impressed. In fact 3 out of 4 people in my family voted for cloth if we'd get an Ody, and the funny thing was we liked the LX cloth, not even the EX (2007 models). The LX cloth was soft and velour-like, while the EX just seemed fuzzy and didn't look durable.

Ody has plenty of strengths but you are dismissing even the obvious Sienna advantages. I'll add some more:

* 1.4 seconds quicker to 60mph (C&D)
    * significant observed MPG advantage (also C&D)
    * the 3rd row can be setup for tailgate seating
    * power controls to vent the 3rd row windows
    * trip computer even on LE models
    * adult sized 8th seat available

The 2nd row with 3 seats is much wider and can accomodate 3 adults comfortably, so anyone looking to shuttle more than 4 adults around at any time would be best served by an 8 passenger Sienna.

Ody handles better while the Sienna is more isolated, but if you want a quiet van so the kids can watch movies the latter is a better choice.

No van "wins in every category", it's all a matter of what your priorities are, and what matters to you.
    Some comments on other posts above...

For Nav operation, there is an override, and with the internet it doesn't take much effort to figure that out. I choose a portable Garmin, either way.

Cracovian: definitely check the tires. Even if the tread isn't worn out, they may need to be replaced, depending upon their age. I have 25k on the OE Dunlops and they are not as quiet as they were when new, but not objectionably so. I'll give them another year, then replace them.

As for loading DVDs, don't worry much about that. It mattered when the kids were little, but now even my 6 year old can load movies by himself.

The packages are confusing but search back for an earlier post I had, where I laid out which Sienna packages were roughly equivalent to the Ody LX, EX, EX-L, etc.
  • karenkjkarenkj Member Posts: 7
    I am wondering if anyone has had this same issue. We brought all our car seats to the honda dealer to make SURE they all fit as needed. We need rear facing driver, forward facing center and booster passenger. This makes it so that on carpool days, the passenger can be pushed forward to allow the kids to climb into the 3rd row. Much to our complete shock, the middle seat in the oddysey was in no way, shape or form designed to hold a child. We have the sliimest car seat on the market and even with that in the middle-FYI there are no latches, the passenger seat cannot go forward. We then tried a booster there, same issue, the passenger seat will then not go forward. Did I miss something? That fact, along with the fact that the toyota seemed to respond quicker to accelerating and is quieter is what won us over on the sienna...though we still have yet to reach an agreement on price. I also like the way the sienna seats accordian forward...but I wish it had the floor storage like the odyssey. I guess we cannot win on all fronts!
  • minniemouse27minniemouse27 Member Posts: 7
    We have an 8p Sienna and have a friend that has one as well.

In my car we have a high back booster in the 2nd row driver's side and a VERY large (Britax Regent) car seat in the 2nd row passenger side. I can easily put an adult (using their seat belt) in the center position. It isn't the comfiest of rides (a bit squished) so I wouldn't have someone ride there on long trips...but great for getting around and I wouldn't hesitate placing a child there for long trips.

My friend has TWO Britax Regents in both outboard positions and a Britax Marathon (first rear facing and now forward facing) in the second row w/ no issues at all.

I'm pretty sure there are lower anchors in the center seat of the second row and am definitely sure that there is an upper anchor for a tether.

We've had our Sienna for about a month now and have been very happy with it. I don't miss the floor storage at all...the well in the back behind the third row works just fine for us.

FWIW...I often describe the Oddysey's "8 seater" as a 7.5 seater! :)
  • ylybkaylybka Member Posts: 2
    Hello to all the great people in the forum!
    I wonder if anyone could settle my mind :confuse:
    After about 10 years with crossovers, my husband and I finally decided that our family got big enough to get minivan. Decision to get either Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna was a no-brainer. BUT, to decide between those two has been the worst agony so far.
    We have pretty harsh winters sometimes here in CT, and I am used to AWD on my Volvo so much that I feel I will not be able to handle a FWD minivan in winter by no means. At the same time, most of the people I spoke with locally - that own FWD Hondas - say they don't have any problems with them in winter. Am I just being insecure?!?
    Can anybody attest to any REAL difference between driving FWD Honda and AWD Toyota in winter time? This seems to be the most important decisive attribute for me… Thanks a lot in advance!
    ateixeira,
    Can you share info on how to override the new Nav systems? I did some googling and could only find online tips on how to override previous generations, not the current system.

My Infiniti locks out the Nav once the car is in motion and it drives me crazy, crazy enough that I might get the Honda just because of the Nav system. I had an Acura and really liked the Honda Nav system.

If you don't want to post a link here, let me know and I'll send you my email address.
    Thanks!
    I don't have Navi on mine so I don't have the instructions (haven't had the need for them), but IIRC it's discussed in some of the Sienna forums.

Too bad but an outside Sienna forum shut down recently, in fact Edmunds traffic picked up when that happened. They had a lot of documented fixes like that. For instance, did you know that getting your DRLs to work is just a matter of inserted a fuse?
    AWD > FWD, no doubt, especially when you consider the AWD Sienna also has a raised suspension for extra ground clearance, so you don't get caught up and high-center on that snow pile.

Having said that, a good set of snow tires ought to work quite well, in fact it would help either car optimize traction.

Both these vans have long wheelbases, so they will be challenged when climbing a steep, slippery slope. The weight transfers to the rear axle, which is getting no power in FWD.

My Sienna is FWD and slips fairly easily climing my steep driveway when it's snow covered. The VSA or whatever it's called kicks in too aggressively for my tastes and retards any momentum, but I just turn it off. The rest of the time I leave it on, but I need some slip to get all the way up the driveway.

We also own a Subaru Forester and it simply POWNED the Sienna in the snow, in fact you can't even tell the ground is slippery. Huge difference. Tires could be a factor, but AWD >>> FWD when you need to climb.

If you can't get snow tires, consider how often you need to climb steep slopes, and maybe ask a few friends with Odys how well they do in that specific scenario.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    juice,

How've you been? It's been a while.

So, I am here now because my wife and I are ready to get rid of her 2000 Jetta for a minivan. We're leaning towards the Sienna AWD but were hoping to get a few more inputs on this one. As a Subie owner, which one would satisfy? ;-)

Ken
  • ylybkaylybka Member Posts: 2
    Very good point, Ateixeira! When I think about it, all people I talked to who own Honda Odysseys have flat driveways :) , while mine is pretty steep. We do have a set of winter tires (from my Volvo) that are supposed to fit on Toyota (and maybe Honda as well), and YES we ALWAYS change tires into winter ones, even on my current AWD Volvo. My husband's car in FWD, and I had to drive it last winter, and I got into (thank GOD not very serious but pretty distracting) accident in it on a slippery road - even though that one had winter tires too.. I guess, that where the bulk of my insecurity stems from...
    Thank a lot for your insight!
    Welcome to the Dark Side. :shades:

Just kidding.

Vans are great. Once you get one you will ask yourself why you waited so long. For kids nothing beats the sheer space, convenience of power sliding doors, and basic user-friendliness of a van.

Now, let me try to answer your question...

First things first, you still have an AWD Legacy, right?

I think in your case I'd go with a FWD Sienna, and here's why: AWD Siennas mandate run-flat tires. Plus you already have a snow car (same as me).

Read the Sienna threads and the #1 complaint by a wide margin are those run-flats. They don't last long and they are expensive to replace. At least "normal" tires do fit the rims, but then you're stuck without a spare tire because the rear driveshaft cuts right through the spot where the spare would normally be. Get a can of fix-a-flat and pray. ;)

This is not unique to the Sienna because high-end Odys also come with run-flats, and I've also heard plenty of complaints about their cost. In Honda's case it may be even worse, though, because the rims are a special size, 17.5", so you can't fit normal tires on those rims like you can on the Sienna.

As much a fan of AWD that I am, I still didn't want those run-flats. Plus another thing - if you get AWD you cannot get the 8 seat Sienna, only the 7 seater with captain's chairs. The good thing about that 7 seater is you can get a 2nd center console for tons of storage, but I wanted that big middle 8th seat.

That pointed me towards a CE or LE Sienna FWD. I opted for an LE with an option package that gave me 2 power doors. I guess it would fall between an Ody LX (no power doors) and EX (adds power hatch).

Then I went aftermarket for my Garmin GPS and a 12" DVD player for the kids.

If 8 seats are not important you could step up to an XLE and get a power hatch. The power doors are NICE, trust me, don't underestimate their usefulness. You gotta carry those sleeping kids to bed when you get home, and you'll be darn glad you have them. At time I even wish for the power hatch, when carrying a heavy load of cargo for instance.

Decide if you want 7 or 8 seats, then check them out. Drive an Ody as well, they are both very good and close (despite what arguments in this thread imply). The Ody is a bit nicer to drive, but I felt the Sienna was more quiet and comfy for passengers and that was my priority for this vehicle.

Get those power doors, trust me. That means an Ody EX or higher, or a Sienna LE EVP#2 or higher.

Loaded up vans can get pricey, but you probably don't need laser adaptive cruise control, power folding 3rd row seats (just 2 kids, right?), AWD, HIDs, etc. I paid about $25k for mine, and $33k buys you an XLE with Navi and a DVD player.

If you come out to the east coast again let me know you are coming and I'll give you the VIP tour.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Thanks, juice!

Yes, I still have my 05 LGT wagon. It's running great and I plan on keeping for a while but my wife and I were thinking that going up to snow country on the minivan would be nice too. I'll have to think through what you wrote about not needing the AWD. Also, I read somewhere that Toyota lengthened their warranty on the run flats, IIRC.

Power doors -- you betcha. We're looking for a 7-seater anyway with captain chairs so I would start from there.

I'm having a hard time finding any AWD Siennas without being bundled with the loaded Limited package. Yeah, laser cruise control sounds great, but I really don't want it!

I'll take you up on the east coast offer. I'm out in Wilmington every now and then so I can certainly take a short hop down to where you guys are and do a long-overdue reunion!
    You can set your laser cruise control to draft a big semi and probably get unbelievable gas mileage.

Then again with 266hp you'll probably be passing the semi, not following. ;)

Wilmington is not too far, I could meet you in Baltimore, half way.

As for the AWD Sienna, it does have the added benefit of being about an inch higher up off the ground, so you will have more ground clearance than any other van in the snow.
    I'll concede that my "wins in every category" may have been a poor choice of words.

In my opinion, the debate between the vans isn't even close. The Odyssey is a higher quality car ... and it drives better. The rest, to me, just isn't as important.

Concerning the engines, the power delivery felt the same as the Toyota's, but maybe a little smoother. As far as the fuel economy, according to Edmunds, the Odyssey is shows 18 - 20 mpg, and the Sienna is 18 - 19 mpg - pretty much the same.

As far as the center seat fitting into the second row storage, thanks for the correction. I was told by the dealer that it would not fit in there (that's what I get for believing a salesman), and I hadn't tried it myself. I'll be very happy to store it there instead of in my garage.
    No offense, but power delivery is notably different. Drive them back to back, it's quite obvious. The Sienna feels like an Ody with a supercharger slapped on. It's not just the extra power, but also the lower curb weight.

You could argue the Ody has adequate power and doesn't feel lacking, but no difference? That's just not so.
    The Odyssey is quicker. Seriously.

I drove both extensively and the Odyssey seems quicker to me, particularly in cornering and handling. My comment was meant to address the overall driving experience, not just in acceleration. (I never timed a quarter mile run or ran a stop watch on any of my drives ... so in terms of acceleration, I'll just say they felt pretty close and leave it at that.

As for the fuel economy, I found them to be the same in my experience (09 Odyssey EX-L vs. 09 Sienna Limited). Edmunds shows the Sienna to have 18 - 19 mpg, and the Odyssey to have 18 - 20 mpg.

I'll concede that my 'wins in every category' may have been a poor choice of words. It is, as you say about my priorities.

I guess I should have said the categories in which the Sienna has an advantage over the Odyssey, are a lower priority to me. Such as the following items you listed, the 3rd row can be setup for tailgate seating, power controls to vent the 3rd row windows, trip computer even on LE models and adult sized 8th seat available.

The Odyssey is a higher quality van which drives better, period. Beyond that, the rest of the debate is not that important to me. I'm willing to give up AWD and the ability to set up my third row for tailgate seating in favor of a higher quality car which handles and drives better.
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    The Odyssey is not a higher quality vehicle. They are good but not "higher quality."

Also, the Odyssey feels like a dog compared to the Sienna. When we drove the Odyssey after driving the Sienna it felt sluggish. Handling to us was kinda mixed, the Odyssey stock handles better but once we changed the crappy stock tires with Yokohama Avid's on our Sienna it handles equal to, if not better then the Odyssey to us.
    The Odyssey is quicker...

It's not, at least not in acceleration. Handling-wise the Odyssey does better than the Toyota (simply because the Toyota is tuned to ride softer, which it does). The Odyssey has a more aggressive throttle tip-in, but the Toyota has a lot more juice under the hood. Everything I read about the 3.5L 2GR engine in Toyotas say that it seems particularly strong, perhaps stronger than its horsepower ratings suggest.

Car and Driver had this to say about the Sienna in a 2007 Comparo -

If choosing a minivan came down to the powertrain, this Toyota would be a slam-dunk. The 3.5-liter DOHC V-6 is the strong, silent type, rushing to 60 mph in 7.2 seconds, nearly a second ahead of the next-best Dodge. In fact, the Toyota earned top marks in every acceleration measure. And it does so with little more than a purr from beyond the fire wall.

and about the Odyssey (which placed first, but not for engine power)

As the others' engines are upsized, the Odyssey's 244-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 is feeling outgunned these days. Acceleration is about average for the group, handling grip and braking were somewhat better than average.

*If I recall correctly, the Odyssey had an 8.5s 0-60 time. Adequate, but notably behind the Toyota (7.2s) and Dodge (8.0s) vans.

If you're interested, here's a link to the full article.

5-Van Compaison, Car and Driver
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    I disagree with the characterization that the Ody is a better quality van. It depends on what you are looking for.

The Ody does handle the corners marginally better, but as someone who loves to drive hard into the corners I wasn't impressed. However to get that handling the Ody stiffens the ride so passengers have a less pleasant time. The Ody also rides lower... sports car lower; my Miata has more ground clearance lower. Riding lower is fine if you never leave well maintained pavement, but we like to go visit off the beaten, well maintained path and the Sienna with its greater ride height has comfortably gone places I would fear to tread in the Ody.

The Ody engine is a fine engine and delivers power more than adequately. That said, the Toyota beats it by a wide stretch- both by seat of pants and by objective numbers. Studying the EPA website consumer reported numbers I found that the Sienna also delivers better real world mileage.

On my quality measures the Sienna was the higher quality vehicle. The dash is thoughtfully and intuitively laid out as opposed to the Ody's haphazard, buttons scattered randomly everywhere design. It's less of a drivers van (an oxymoron if you ask me) but more comfortable to passengers with a smoother and quieter ride that can take rutted gravel roads without much complaint. The engine performs better and gets as good if not better economy. The Sienna has more space for stuff and people with an eight passenger option that I'm not embarrassed to carry an adult in for an extended trip. For parents of small children the Sienna 8 passenger also has more LATCH attachment points (5 vs the Ody's 3) and the 3rd row tethers don't stretch across the cargo area.

I'm not attempting to disparage the Ody, it's a fine van and if it's what you like, good for you. To make the blanket statement that either van is higher quality is wrong. They are each expressions of different qualities and priorities.
    I think "quicker" is the wrong word to use, perhaps "more nimble" is better suited.

Note that in lateral grip, C&D recorded a tie, though I'll concede that the Ody drives better (though where's the dead pedal?), while the Sienna handles better and is quieter. It's a matter of different priorities.

I have trouble accepting your claim that the Ody is a higher quality van because to me road noise is a large part of quality, and the Ody is louder. When I hear the word "quality" I immediately think of Lexus, not BMW, and by far the Sienna is more like a Lexus than the Ody is.

Different strokes...
    I found both vans had about the same interior noise - very very close. The Odyssey may have more road noise (probably due to the tighter suspension, and being closer to the ground), but the Sienna's engine was slightly louder and apparent to me.

As far as whatever you think of Lexus, and road noise equating to quality, my Lexus RX350 isn't any quieter than the Odyssey or Sienna. The bouncy ride and driving characteristics are similar 'tween the Sienna and the RX350. They have an isolated and floaty ride. Neither characteristic offers good handling. That ride is fine if that's what you like. The Odyssey is more nimble, and drives / handles better. That's what I want in a car.
    I just found the Odyssey to be higher quality. When comparing the two, it wasn't even close in my opinion.

I found that everything in the cabin and engine compartment fit better in Odyssey. Interior components, doors, switches, controls, lights, etc. in the Odyssey are more sturdy. The carpet didn't fit as nice ... with visible gaps and wrinkles. The difference just in the front row seats is enormous - in comfort, support and construction (leather vs leather - don't know about the cloth). In my opinion, the Odyssey's inside is more refined. The Sienna's interior looked thrown together.

As for the dash ... you may find the placement of the controls to be more thoughtful in the Sienna. I didn't. Most of the controls on the Sienna's dash were way too low for me, not only to see, but also to operate. The zig zag shift lever felt cheap and more difficult to operate.

Concerning the handling ... Odyssey clearly owns this category, probably due in large part to its lower stance - which you noted. To me, one of my priorities is that my car handle well, I didn't want to compromise here. The ground clearance isn't an issue for me. I'm not intending to take my Odyssey off road.

Improving the Sienna's tires could improve things, but it doesn't change how the suspension and car geometry works. The bouncing and body roll won't go away.

The Toyota has a softer more isolate ride. It's just the way Toyota chose to make the van. A comfortable floating ride that will make your passengers very happy on the "rutted gravel roads" you wrote about.

I only have two small children and don't need 5 LATCH attachments, so not an issue to me. If anyone loads either van up with car seats, no one will have access to the back seat.

As for the fuel economy, both vans were comparable in my experience and the vehicle specs support this.

I'm not going to change your mind about this. I just read a post, soliciting opinions, and I offered mine in hopes that it would be helpful. You and I have both already decided which van is better for each of us.

Continue to enjoy your Sienna.
    Again, we wanted a comfortable and quiet cabin to take long road trips in, and we felt the Sienna was better.

We did drive around in a new Ody for a few days when we visited friends in Tucson just before we bought the Sienna, they even let me drive it one day. From the driver's seat you don't notice, but when sitting over the rear axle you do hear more road noise and I even felt a bit of nausea, though that was probably because I wasn't watching the road.

No regrets here, isolated is I wanted in this van.
    Maybe it varies by year, but we test drove an 07 Ody with leather, and the leather was hard, far from luxurious feeling. BMW's fake leather, or leatherette, was better than Honda's real stuff.

To be fair we didn't even sample the Sienna leather, the Ody's leather was so bad that 3 out of 4 people in my family voted for cloth, so we looked only at cloth from that point on.

Then, oddly enough, we liked the Ody LX cloth better than the EX cloth. The LX cloth, in 2007, had a velour like texture, exactly like my Sienna LE, could even be the same supplier. We liked both. The Ody EX we didn't like, not as soft to the touch, a thin layer of peach fuzz over a harder cloth surface. Meh, we like the cheaper LX' interior more.

Gated shifters are better - you can feel what gear you're in. Sienna lets you choose specific gears, too. I don't think the Ody lets you do that.

To me, one of my priorities is that my car handle well, I didn't want to compromise here

Keep in mind that lateral grip was tied in the C&D test, no advantage for the lower, supposedly better handling Ody. I was surprised, too, but ultimately it doesn't offer more grip.

It's funny, though, how you pick and choose priorities that match up to the Ody. If handling is so critical, acceleration isn't? A sporty ride needs both. You conveniently ignore the Sienna's much quicker acceleration.

I'll argue that matters FAR more. You are 100% likely to carry large loads up long hills on road trips. Happens all the time.

Now ask yourself, how many times are you driving at the handling limit, tires screeching?

HANG ON KIDS! :surprise:

Doesn't happen. For me, never. 0%.

Fact is with kids you're not pushing the handling past 70-80% limits. The same 0.76g limit, by the way.

I carry heavy loads and enjoy the extra power virtually every single time I drive the van.

How did you put it, on yeah, "I didn't want to compromise here".

Power does matter. Especially in a vehicle designed to carry a lot of load. It's as if you're wearing blinders.

If anyone loads either van up with car seats, no one will have access to the back seat.

I think you missed the point here, in fact you can use the anchors in the Sienna and still have access to the 3rd row because you don't need to use both outboard positions.

Your counter-argument actually proves the advantage of the Sienna, here.
    Juice,

I'm going to throw in a third POV here; not disagreeing with either of the others'. Some people have several cars in their driveway/garage. I'd wager to say that the majority of people who post on Edmunds fall into this category. For those that don't however, they likely buy a compromise. If I had a large family, but couldn't afford different vehicles (and instead needed one "do-all"), I'd likely pick the car with the best compromise of all that suited MY wants and needs. For me, it would no doubt be the Odyssey.

Does the Sienna offer more power AND better fuel mileage? Yes. But it isn't even close to being carlike to me, something the Odyssey is. The Odyssey is louder, but more direct. Bumpier, but manages to handle like its smaller than it is. It manages to be the "Driver's Van" if there is one; one that feels like its at least trying to be fun. Will a van actually succeed at being fun? Well, not really. 2+ tons on a relatively softly sprung suspension, mated to an automatic transmission - doesn't sound like it adds up to fun, and I get that. The fact that the Odyssey combines the practicality of 7 passenger seating with a whiff of Accord-like maneuverability and the overall Honda "vigor" makes it enough that it'd be my first choice, despite not being the quickest or most efficient. I might actually enjoy driving it.

TheGrad

NO REPRESENTATION IS MADE THAT THE SKIDPAD GRIP OF THE ODYSSEY IS GREATER THAN THE SKIDPAD GRIP OF THE SIENNA OR ITS COMPETITORS
    :)
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    When I looked at vans, both the Ody and Sienna showed high levels of interior quality. If you want cheap, sit in a Dodge/Chrysler or a Hyundai. Our Sienna has excellent fit and finish inside and your complaints are foreign to my experience as everything feels sturdy and gives every appearance of being durable.

Ody control placement was nonsensical to us and we were constantly searching in vain for how to change the radio, adjust the heat & A/C, etc. As to your complaint about control position height, the only controls I perceive as being low reach are the power door off/on switch and the TPMS reset button. It's been more than a year since I tested the Ody and never could make sense of their control positions, but it seems like it had a number of more routinely used controls in the exact same location. Mirror controls, power windows and climate controls are the next lowest tier on the Sienna and are at just a bit above elbow level to me and those controls came immediately to reach at instinctive locations on the test drive.

I like the zig-zag shift control as I can tell by feel exactly where the lever is without looking down.

The Honda's aggressive ride quality was far too much compromise for me with not nearly enough payoff. A minivan is not about my driving experience, it is about carrying my family in comfort and the Odyssey was a lot less comfortable. I like control and I like cornering, but there wasn't enough more the Odyssey to satisfy me- it still feels like a top heavy, 2 ton minivan. Based on online reviews I expected a lot more of the Ody and was disappointed in the examples I test drove.

I have three small children so those LATCH positions are important to me. Three positions in the middle row mean that I can put all three kids there and put the third row down for cargo. Two latch positions in the third row means that if we have another child, we can put two back there, two in the middle and still flip a seat forward for easy access. Most of the time we have one child on the third row and having two positions allows us to choose what side of the row we want down. Oh and the third row tether strap crossing the cargo area was a deal killer too- WTF was Honda thinking???

Seat comfort is a very subjective thing. I found the Ody seats most comfortable, my wife preferred the Sienna. I really did like the Ody drivers position best since I didn't feel nearly so high up; in the Sienna in with the seat at the lowest level I still keep trying to lower it every time I get in because it feels so high. I suspect a lot perception on seat comfort is most comfortable depends on the size of your derriere with small people (like my wife) preferring the Toyota, medium size (like me) preferring the Ody and large folks (stereotypical American) liking the Chrysler. I wasn't impressed by the leather quality on either model and was fine with saving some money to get the cloth, though I do still toy with the idea of upgrading to some high quality aftermarket hide that embarrasses the OEM stuff and at lower price too.
  • scratchboatscratchboat Member Posts: 6
    We've had a 2001 Ody EX for almost 9 years. Now getting new van. Narrowed choice to 2009 Odyssey EX (no Leather, no RES, no Nav) for $26,525 or 2010 Sienna LE 8-Passenger w/Extra Value Package #2 for $25,225. Seems to me we're pretty much comparing apples to apples since the Toyota package adds dual-power doors, power driver's seat & alloy wheels. The only significant difference I can see on paper is that the Honda has tri-zone climate control, where as the Toyota has manual A/C front & rear. Both now nominally seat 8 vs. 7 in our old van. That's important for vacations since we travel with 5 and can now fold the entire rear seat down for luggage, bikes, etc.

Do these prices seem competitive for New England? Am I missing anything 'cause at these prices the Toyota looks like a better value - especially if sourcing a 2009 Ody falls through since I'll lose the $1250 dealer incentive!
  • ronjack1ronjack1 Member Posts: 1
    Have also had a 2001 Odyssey basic model and have 102,000 on it. Transmission replaced at 48,000, as expected. Looking for a new used Odyssey or Sienna. Test drove two 2006s today (EXl and Limited) The Sienna gives a softer ride than the Odyssey. The Odyssey felt more on the road and handled better to me.
    The Odyssey second seats slide forward to give more leg room to third seat passengers. The Sienna does not. The Sienna wood grain looks nice and the JBL is pleasant to listen to.
    My nephew, who is an autobody man, has noted that in the last few years the Toyota body has been more cheaply made the the Honda. Something to think about.
    I am leaning towards the Odyssey because of the ride and the because it felt sturdier.
  • scratchboatscratchboat Member Posts: 6
    In the end I got a Honda Odyssey afterall - $26.5K for 2010 EX. The car was available right away - Toyota Sienna was still in "Freight" status with a cloudy ETA forecast. And the Honda dealer offered me $1,200 more for my trade so the actual transaction cost was about even! My wife liked the interior styling and fit/finish of the Honda better anyway, I was trying to convince her on the Sienna. Once availability tilted in favor of the Honda and the cost evened out we jumped on the Odyssey.
    I hear you, grad, and full disclosure here - I also own a Miata, and that's my commuter/city car. The Sienna gets plenty of miles but they're mostly long trips, highway miles.

I guess it's just that I chose the best van for my family, not the best van for the driver. I felt that the job of a van is to provide the maximum versatility/hauling for lots of people and lots of cargo, and IMHO the Sienna best meets those needs.

I don't like large cars, to be honest, and I doubt I'd be happy driving the Ody in the city, either. I had a Subaru Tribeca for a week and even that felt awkward/too big for the city.

Back to the Sienna, though, this past week we took yet another road trip, went to the beach, and I got to use several features that you may not notice on a short test drive:

* the front passenger seat folds flat. If you drive with the kids only, this improves their view. On a trip to Florida, I took turns driving with my brother, and the other person slept in the 2nd row, feet up on the folded seat, watching a DVD. Total luxury, and something unique to the Sienna, I believe.

* hauling a few beds back and forth, the tumbling 2nd row came in handy and gets out of the way. Dodge wins here with Stow-n-go, but the Sienna at least beats the Ody in getting those seats out of your way.

* my son was in skate board camp all week, and so each day I had to put on all his pads. I did so with the 3rd row folded tailgate style, i.e. facing the rear of the van. No problem putting on his knee pads, shoes, elbow pads, write guards, helmet, etc. plus the hatch kept us in the shade in a week with 100 plus humiture (temps with humidity factored in)

To me that's what a van should do - pull all sorts of tricks to meet every need you have and even those you didn't know you had.
    both the Ody and Sienna showed high levels of interior quality

And they do. These are very much on par with each other. You won't get the fabric-wrapped A-pillars nor the suede headliners and wool carpets found in luxury cars, but they are definitely a step above what you'd find in a Dodge, for instance.

Compared to our Forester, the headliner in our Sienna is a nicer fabric and is nicely padded, the A-pillar has a nice texture to it, the dash itself is padded and the passenger airbag is seamless (something the Ody is missing FWIW).

To be honest with the things he said I wonder if bwires was really looking at a Sienna? Significantly slower, poor quality, huge panel gaps, horrible fit and finish, and a bouncy ride? Sounds more like a 20 year old pickup with busted shocks. :D
    I've seen $24.7k for the Sienna you described, but $1200 lower on the trade offer pretty much kills that deal.

I think the Ody EX also has the power hatch, no?

That Sienna would have had a trip computer, though.

The Odyssey second seats slide forward to give more leg room to third seat passengers. The Sienna does not

Not true - my Sienna's 2nd row seats all slide fore-and-aft, all 3 of them. I am absolutely certain.