Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• Options
    lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    Is satellite radio available on the 05 Sienna? What do you need to order to get it?
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    $1,795 for an extended warranty on a product as reliable as a Honda seems exorbitant. I paid about $800 for 7/100K Toyota warranty (zero deductible) on my '04 Sienna. Unless you need to finance this warranty by rolling it into the purchase price, I'd wait and buy it just before your 3/36K warranty expires. Who knows, you may not own this car for 7/100K. 'Things' happen--and not always as we plan. If you were to total this vehicle at 28,000 miles, for example, your insurance company sure won't be reimbursing you for the extended warranty you paid for and never used.
  • Options
    baileybradbaileybrad Member Posts: 33
    You might want to have some facts to back up your unsolicited financial advice.

Actually, once it was every 2 years. These numbers are rough but here goes Mr. Helper...

New 97 Mercury Villager w/sales tax 19,100 drove 24 months sold to a private party for 15,400...$154 a month.

New 99 Honda Odyssey LX w/sales tax 24,780 drove 32 months traded in on an 02 Odyssey EX for $18,900...$184 a month.

New 02 Honda Odyssey LX difference of 8725, driven for 27 months...$323 a month. Currently still driving and will be trading sometime before the end of the year and will get another great deal.

Thanks, but I am doing just fine, Mr. Helper.

What did your response have to do with Sienna vs. Odyssey?
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    "Ok Toyota fans, let's hear about your NAV please....

Let's see, does this Sienna get rear disc brakes or not..... I know this Odyssey gets disc brakes all around, as well as standard VSA, 3 row curtain bags, dual stage front bags, side bags... Oh wait, that's standard safety equipment on ALL 05 Odysseys. Safety for everyone. Honda's Hybrid Civic comes 1 way, the Prius has 9 packages...

Just some info on how well Toyota operates and gets it done... Get er dun as the rednecks say...

You are a cool dad they go home to mom and dad saying that the Smiths 2005 Odyssey kicks our new Sienna's butt. Had to put that jab in there...

Aren't you Revit under a different name? You seem to have your foot in the mouth too... :-)
  • Options
    jsmath5jsmath5 Member Posts: 77
    Quit whining and bring some information to the table; not hot air. I am not Revit. I know the facts on both models...DO YOU?!?!?

BTW, all Odysseys with Navigation come with satellite...STANDARD. All other 05 Odysseys are satellite ready, just add it.
  • Options
    Sounds like Honda quoted you a high price on the warranty, and Toyota low balled you on theirs. Did you pay sticker for the Toyota? Did you finance it with the dealership. Lots of things play into the warranty game, BTW, a warranty is cheaper when the vehicle is brand new and has low miles, if it goes out of factory warranty and you get an extended warranty it will double. Was it a comprehensive with towing, road service, rental car, trip interruption? Does the Toyota warranty cover seals and gaskets, most do not. Did you know that? We sell a totally different warranty than the extended manufacturer warranty, you really need to see what your getting. Is it just drive train or entire vehicle? Also the warranty company will pro rate and credit you back for the unused portion should you wreck, total, or sell or trade your warrantied vehicle.
  • Options
    revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    samnoe, wish I could take credit for the statement, but I can't. Looks like just another consumer who sees the Toyota Sienna for what it is....though I do agree with the posting that Toyota makes it too difficult on all the numerous variations...keep it simple.

Way to go Honda!
  • Options
    revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    Then the salesman probably does have any Sienna's equipped with it on the lot...seems to be the problem with many Toyota dealerships.
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    You're entitled to your own opinion (tell me "thank you"!), it just the way you write, the language you speak. Keep it cool and simple. No butts, stinks, blow away, etc. etc... you get the picture.

You have some good information too, though.

:-)
  • Options
    soyyo1soyyo1 Member Posts: 18
    I got a Sienna 2005 ,,I got it in Boston,,,,Thanks to Honda I pay after tax $40 and little be...with nav/dvd/flormat/all the little gadge...Honda think they got all that,,Gets what
    Toyota still toyota and wil be toyota..honda need to cach up..Oh the odyssey is just honda,,nothing else
  • Options
    indy93indy93 Member Posts: 97
    Socal...Slate is like several new honda colors...they change with the time of day. Slate is light/med sliver in the shade with a slight green cast. At night it's a medium steel grey (nice). Sun light not sure silver? Sort of like the Midblue.. night it's black, day it's blue with a purple cast. Black is black at night but.. has a green cast in the afternoon. Sage is darker this year than last, I don't see much green in it at all... the only dead color.others seem to have different appearances depending on the time of day. Slate green in the catalog is similar in the moving shot and is the middle one in the 3 ody spread. ( night-like appearance as far as I can tell)
  • Options
    mikamika Member Posts: 7
    I have read several reports on a wind noise coming from 05 Honda oddy. Does any one experience this wind noise? And what about 05 Toyota sienna? I am thinking about van soon, but I would like to hear the real story from real owners out there, instead of listening to 'sweet' talk from a dealer. All feedback is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    Toyota didn't low-ball me. I was a well-informed customer, and knew dealer cost of the Toyota Extra Care 7/100/zero warranty. And no, I didn't pay sticker. I paid $2,000 off MSRP for an XLE AWD early in 2004--a terrific price at the time on a very high-demand vehicle.
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    "You are a cool dad"

That's me right there!
    I can see my two little daughters saying, "Do that again daddy. That is so cool!"

Yeah, voice recognition has limitations everywhere, but it's just a matter of getting used to it.
    And the map data with all the house numbers is not the fault of the NAV. You have this same problem in the Lexus NAV too.
    My house number is NOT recognized either in any NAV systems I've tried---Lexus, Infiniti, Acura!
    My house is 3 years old.
    Now my brother's house is 2 years old, and my '03 Ody's NAV has his house number/address.
  • Options
    Man, I'll be playing with the Ody's NAV everyday and know by hard.
    Too cool and too sexy for the Sienna.

I tried out the NAV on the Lexus GX470. You can say, "Mexican Restaurant", "Gas Station", etc., but you canNOT give any street numbers or control the A/C, Radio, and definitely NOT the RES.
  • Options
    I do love the fact that EVERY SINGLE Honda on EVERY LOT has the EXACT same sticker price corresponding to that EXACT model.
    You don't ever have to worry about a million extra options and add-ons like you do with Toyota.

It's a lot easier for me to deal with Honda than with Toyota because I can say so and so offered me this price, and it would be exactly the same model and exact same equipment so the dealer cannot say, "But our Sienna has this and that and their Sienna does not."
  • Options
    I can't make heads or tails of what you are saying. The Honda's navi is great..say no more...no one in the industry can touch it NOW!!!!
  • Options
    davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    i'm always hearing conflicting numbers?
    what is it?
  • Options
    Honda Accord 2003-2005 180 Voice Commands

Honda Odyssey 2005 over 600 voice commands, that's like 605 in reality, don't know, I haven't counted them.

Hope this help.
  • Options
    If you spent 40K on a 4wd Sienna, they should sell you a warranty at cost, just good business practice, this business is give and take. If you bought an Ody at sticker in the past and want a new one, we usually try to get an extra $500 or so over book on trade in. The least we can do for repeat customers. You get the idea, special treatment.
  • Options
    dr_oldschooldr_oldschool Member Posts: 6
    Is it just me or does the new Odyssey look like a Kia Sedona?
    We have an 04 Sienna LTD.
    I can't say enough good things about our 'space ship' as I like to call it.
    All the gadgets make you forget you spent $37K on a MINI VAN..
  • Options
    Did you get AWD and Navi and DVD? I hope so, 38,810 gets you a FWD Touring R & N Odyssey spaceship with 600 Voice commands, 255 HP, backup sensors, fog lights, power rear hatch, 20/28 MPG on regular unleaded. Wait, you got all that but no 4WD on your Sienna, help me here.. AWD Sienna is like $42K correct?
  • Options
    "I got a Sienna 2005 ,,I got it in Boston,,,,Thanks to Honda I pay after tax $40 and little be...with nav/dvd/flormat/all the little gadge...Honda think they got all that,,Gets what
    Toyota still toyota and wil be toyota..honda need to cach up..Oh the odyssey is just honda,,nothing else"

Say what?

The only thing nice about the Sienna are the Laser Cruise Control, gated shifter, nice quiet ride, and reliability.

The Ody tops the Sienna in Chrome, Instrument panel, NAV, CD changer, DVD RES, XM radio; and pretty much matches the Sienna in nice quiet ride & reliability.

In the seating comfort department, the Ody has memory seats and powered pedal while the Sienna has powered passenger and manual telescopic steering wheel, so it's kind of a toss-up, although I much rather have memory seats than power passenger since I'm the driver:-)
  • Options
    Exactly 637 voice commands.
    Well, actually, one paper I read said, "Over 637 voice commands", which is more specific than "over 600 voice commands.

Hey, wait a minute.
    Are you just joking around?
  • Options
    "Is it just me or does the new Odyssey look like a Kia Sedona?"

I don't know, but I would be interested in seeing the 2006 Sedona and 2007 Hyundai minivan, which are supposed to be "Luxury" minivans.

All minivans look pretty similar, which is overall pretty ugly compared to BMWs.

Somebody needs to make a minivan that LOOKS like a BMW SUV.
    Word is, BMW is working on a minivan for 2007 which will hopefully totally blow the "minivan ugly image".
  • Options
    637 Sounds correct, I don't know the exact number.
  • Options
    davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    how did you find me out? :)

but seriously, i love to hear about all the lovely options on all our new toys!
  • Options
    dr_oldschooldr_oldschool Member Posts: 6
    I got DVD NAV all of it..
    I have to say the NAV in my 04 Accord is much more functional for me than the NAV in my Sienna..
  • Options
    observer2observer2 Member Posts: 4
    So you bought a Sienna last year and every other mini-van looks ugly?

Please grow up!!!
  • Options
    "how did you find me out? :)
    but seriously, i love to hear about all the lovely options on all our new toys!"

I think the "2000 voice commands" gave it away:-)

I think Toyota needs to come out with a Progammable Bluetooth 2000 Voice Commands Life Traffic Report NAV to compete:-)
  • Options
    hifisoftwarehifisoftware Member Posts: 69
    Sienna (FWD) does have a number of items that Honda does not:
    1. Close doors buttons placed in the right place. These buttons must be in the center so that anybody can close and open doors.
    2. Third row windows can open. How air is supposed to flow in Honda?
    3. Many Honda options come only on Touring which also forces you to use PAX tires. For most people 500$ per tire (if you lucky to find one) is a bit over the top. With this in mind we can say that when you look for a van with normal tires Ody is severely lucking many, many items.
    4. Sienna(FWD) has a spare tire, while Ody Touring does not.
    5. Sienna has buttons on pillars to open and close power doors which is very convenient.
    6. Sienna is bigger inside (wider, especially 2 and 3 rows) then Ody. Sienna also has larger cargo volume. Outside Ody is actually larger (but then it's a minus for me).
    7... so on

Ody is a nice van too, if you forget about unbelievably horrible idea of putting expensive, hard to get PAX tires. As it is, with Ody PAX tires, Sienna is a better van for many people. If Honda fixes PAX issue, then Ody would be the best (assuming that dealers provide good prices on them).
  • Options
    "I have to say the NAV in my 04 Accord is much more functional for me than the NAV in my Sienna.."

Unfortunately, these companies will try to separate the product lines--Lexus/Toyota, Acura/Honda.

Lexus gets the Voice commands, premium instrument panel, and real woodtrim, but Toyota doesn't.
    Acura gets the woodtim + gated shifter, but Honda doesn't.

We are seeing some changes. Gated shifter and Laser Cruise Control are now available on Toyota.
    Premium instrument panels and awesome Acura 637 voice command NAVs are now available on Honda.
    But we still don't get everything. Yes, that sounds kind of picky of me, but we're just talking.

The problem is Lexus and Acura don't have a minivan.

I think Motor Trend or one of the car magazines said BMW is to release a minivan in 2006 for the 2007 model year.

Now I just don't understand why BMW would be interested in making a minivan, but Lexus and Acura wouldn't.

Can you say "Luxury Performance Minivan"?
    We'll see. It probably won't even happen since they don't even have a spy photo.
  • Options
    "If Honda fixes PAX issue, then Ody would be the best"

I can agree with that to some degree. Get rid of PAX and save us $2K MSRP right off the bat.
  • Options
    ncguy1ncguy1 Member Posts: 9
    Pretty disappointed that Toyota chose not to match Honda with standard side curtain airbags. It's going to be tough to ignore that difference, since it brings the price of the XLE over 30K. The EX Honda has darn near all of the options of the base XLE, plus standard side curtains, for $1500 less.

I'm not paying MSRP, so I won't be making a purchase until the Odyssey's been out a while, but I can see this looming as a possible deal-breaker for Toyota when I do start the process.
  • Options
    I spent $33,106, which was $2K under MSRP for XLE AWD with Pkg 17. Not $40K. I didn't even want the warranty initially, but the document guy kept lowering his price until I knew (from Prices Paid forum) it was $50 over dealer cost. I simply couldn't turn it down.
  • Options
    eurosaabeurosaab Member Posts: 4
    To respond to your comments I will begin with your 1st item:
    1. The reason the door control buttons on the Odyssey are placed on the left side of the dash is so that they cannot accidentally be operated by small children...yes, this is the best place for them.
    2. The windows in the rear do not open...2nd row windows do and the airflow from these, along with the ventilation ports provided by Honda are more than adequate for air intake.
    3. The tires you refer to on the Odyssey are run- flat tires and experience has shown that these tires which have been used on a variety of vehicles are very good and...if kept properly inflated and are rotated at recommended intervals are not...repeat, not expensive.
    4. Correct, a run- flat tire doesn't need a spare as backup.
    5. If you have kids like most of us...do you really want them having that much access to door switches.
    6. Go to a side-by-side comparison!!
    7. I believe this vehicle is worth every penny of the sticker price... we have three in our family and as long as Honda continues to do the fine job they already have on series I,II and now III we will continue to purchase them and not 2 past Toyotas which we found to more expensive compared side-by-side by available equipment to options but also of mediocre quality of content. If people want a cheap family hauler they should get a domestic van.
  • Options
    Door control buttons on Sienna are located overhead, above the reach of small children. Center location allows adult passenger to operate the doors, as well. Very convenient.
  • Options
    I do not think we will ever see Acura/Lexus minivans.

Current Ody (beside PAX tires of course :-)) has pretty much everything one might want. There is only few things that they could've added that I care about (maybe ability to open 3rd row windows), but even then I would hardly be willing to pay a premium for them. They could differentiate with styling or by providing better gizmos (integration of external devices and so on), but I am not sure if this would be enough?

"Performance" is not something that I want to see on a minivan. My BMW M3 was a (super, super) good car for short rides. With minivan I mostly concerned about long drives and "good cornering" equates to "harsher ride" to me. I am actually waiting to see report of how new Ody behaves on long ride. I am afraid it might be too harsh.

Yet for some strange reason I like the idea of BMW minivan. I hope that BMW would make it soft and easy to ride and forget about cornering. I definetly do not want to see BMW M van.
  • Options
    eurosaab I completely disagree with you:
    1. Placing buttons lower make it easier to be operated by small children. Trust me I have 2 year old and I know this very well.
    2. So Honda handled air intake... aren't we forgetting something. Where is air supposed to escape ? In Sienna air comes in through first row windows and can escape in the third, venting all of the van. In Honda the only way a 3rd row can be vented is via turbulence which is very unpleasant.
    3. They are not good. They require special equipment, nobody is going to buy it. Instead dealers will offer to exchange them for 500$ a pop.
    4. You do need run flat, PAX can only last 125miles, while is definetly not enough for several days that it will take to look for a new tire.
    5. It do not think that it's a problem since there is an auto door lock. Honda still allow you to open doors by pulling a handle I know my 2 year old can do that? But you do bring an interesting point that I did not consider before.
    6. Agree thus my original statement.
    7. :-)

If you have Hondas you probably familiar with their transmition. This Monday I had to service my 03 Accord to fix it. It takes Honda all day to fix it and there is no rental or anything. I do not think that Toyota is better at this, but this is not "fine job". Maybe you enjoy having your car serviced?

PAX tires have only been used by Rolls-Royce Phantom in USA. I live in LA where many of them are sold and I have maybe seen 2 or 3 of them in few years. Few people buy cars like this to drive. They spent most of their time in garage.

Look at my other posts and you see a lot of interesting facts about PAX. Also read about Sienna run flats, they are much more common then PAX, but still total nightmare to deal with.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    1. In the Sienna, the door switches are in 2 places: at the top of the B-piller (where the switches can be deactivated by the driver using the windows lock button) and in the overhead console directly in front of the fish-eye 'kids minder' mirror (where they are accesible from both the driver's seat and the passenger seat). I fail to see how making it virtually impossible for small children to access the buttons is somehow 'safer' than the built-in pinch protection which both Honda and Toyota build into their power doors.

2. Toyota gives it's owners the option of either opening or closing the 3rd row windows for additional ventilation. Honda does not. Whether or not this is 'needed' for 'adequate' ventilation is not the question. One doesn't necessarily 'need' over 600 voice commands on their NAV system either, but it is a feature the Honda NAV system has over the Toyota. All that hisoftware is pointing out is features the Sienna has that the Ody doesn't.

3. The problem that hisoftware (and I) have with PAX tires is NOT the fact that they are run-flats, but the fact that they are PROPRIETARY run-flats. With the Sienna run-flats, if I don't like the wear, or ride, or noise, or cost of the original equipment run-flats, I have options to replace them with either a different make of run-flat, or a standard tire if I so desire. With the Ody Touring, YOU HAVE NO OPTION. If you have PAX tires, you will be FORCED to stay with PAX tires. You may be fine with that. I'm not. You say they have been used on a variety of vehicles? The ONLY other vehicle sold in America with PAX tires is Rolls Royce. I don't think too many NTB/Discount Tire stores have been stocking PAX tires for all the RR owners out there....

4. Yes, run-flats don't REQUIRE a spare as a backup. But I would like to have the option of having a spare if I so chose. Apparently, Ody lovers are not in favor of giving owners options.

5. I have kids. I don't want to have to open the doors for them for the next 6 years if they are perfectly capable of doing it for themselves. Yet, it seems as though if I get an Ody with power doors, that is just what I'll be doing.

6. Side by side comparison (from here at Edmunds) shows the Sienna has nearly 2" more rear shoulder room and more than 3" more rear hip room than Ody. As well as more than 5cf of luggage space behind the 3rd row. In a vehicle that is slightly shorter and lower than Ody. I'm glad you pointed me to the side by side comparison...

7. I will agree that comparing feature to feature of the most popular Ody (EX-L) to a comparably equipped Sienna (XLE w/package #6), will lead one to the inevitable conclusion that the Ody is a heck of a bargain. In fact, the Ody does offer some REAL beneficial features which are unavailable in the Sienna (in-floor storage and the +1 seat in the EX models) which is probably why our next vehicle will be an Ody.
  • Options
    I agree with rorr. He said it much better then me.

I also want to point out that I am not tied to Toyota in any way. Quite an opposite both of my current cars are Honda (2000 Civic and 2003 Accord). I just really upset that I can't buy the toy that I want (Ody Touring) because I can't understand what I will do when PAX tire needs to be replaced.
    I wish somebody with leverage (dealers?) would make Honda ether start selling PAX on all their cars or put normal tires on Ody Touring. As it is it seems like a disposable car. Drive 40k miles (or whatever PAX can last) and then get a new car.
  • Options
    sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Have had a minivan since 84 when I got my Plymouth Voyager. In 91 got a Chevy Atro. Sold it to get son a car but now realize Impala can't meet needs. Dont' want a tank like the Astro.
    Hve narrowed things down to Ody or Pilot. Ody has been milage, handles almost sport like according to reports. Don't have to get WAD which Pilot comes only with AWD.

On the other hand the Pilot isn't a minivan, but it may be a tank.

Help would appreciate comments.
  • Options
    You can touch the inside handle, outside handle, remote, or driver controls to open the Ody doors.

People, listen up. If you don't want to pay sticker....WAIT. If you pay sticker on an Ody, I get no bigger paycheck at my dealership. Wait and let the hype die down. In 6 years the Hondas are about 100-300 over invoice. We as americans want the latest and greatest....NOW!!!!!! If you wait and refuse to pay sticker and vans are on the lot, you have leverage. So wait.

Ever heard of Calculators, DVD Players, computers, plasma TVs? They were sticker at first, now look at the prices, do you understand where I am coming from. WAIT, it will get better instead of worse, if you want it now Toyota and Honda will tax you. If I remember correctly the new Sienna was sticker for a while. Now it's back to Odysseys at sticker, reality is they are both in cahoots milking the customer out of his hard earned dollar to buy transportation.

Do like I do, lease, or buy older vehicles to drive and drive them forever. We as americans, have an image to maintain, we want the latest and greatest, what about all the bankruptcies from buying more than you can afford, sorry, not me. I make $10, I spend $2 and save the other $8. I sell people what they want and the car market dictates price.
  • Options
    A pilot has less room than an Odyssey, it has 4WD, Pilots are about $2000 more than an Odyssey.

Personal preference, I have no kids and I want a Pilot for my dirt bikes, and don't need the room of an Odyssey.

BTW, the 04 Ody and 04 Pilot are both #1 in their respective classes for safety according to NHTSA. Go look at it on NHTSA.com. 05 Stats aren't out yet as far as I know.
  • Options
    hpanhpan Member Posts: 61
    It seems that you can watch DVD video on both DVD/Nav screens in Sienna when parked. Does anyone know whether Odyssey has the same feature?
  • Options
    lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    I had no trouble comparing Siennas. I decided exactly which equipment I wanted and which i didn't (port or factory). I decided the exterior and interior color. I then shopped price. I purchased the exact van I wanted. The port options hadn't been installed yet, so they put on only the ones I wanted. I ended up purchasing a 2005 XLE for $500 over invoice. The thing that surprised me was the van was delivered 1 week after I gave the go ahead. I was expecting a 4 week wait or more.

I am considering purchasing an extended Toyota warranty. Does anyone know where to get the best deal on these warranties?
  • Options
    ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    hifi -

You need to learn the rules of the forum.

Anything the Sienna has or does better than the Odyssey is "unecessary" or "unimportant." Anything the Odyssey has like a slightly bigger DVD screen or a Navigation system that doesn't understand what you say half the time is of the utmost importance, and makes the Sienna a totally unacceptable alternative. Equipment like proprietary wheel/tire combinations that virtually no tire shops can fix/repair are a great idea! I could go on, but I think you get the idea.... :)
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I agree with you that driving a used car until it dies makes good economic sense. However, most reliable Japanese cars are pricey.

I looked at a 2000 Honda Odyssey yesterday with 70K miles for $17,000. IMO spend $25-28k and buy a new one.
  • Options
    "Yet for some strange reason I like the idea of BMW minivan. I hope that BMW would make it soft and easy to ride and forget about cornering. I definetly do not want to see BMW M van."

I agree 100%.
    Soft and quiet like the Sienna or Ody, but beautiful looks of a BMW, right?
  • Options
    Ody all the way beacause of the awesome NAV+RES.
    The Pilot doesn't even look good to me, and has the old, old NAV, and you can't even get NAV+RES in the Pilot.
    Ody all the way.