Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Don't even have to click it - seen that one many times!!

I'm guessing former Honda or Toyota owner.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Epic Fail.

Gotta love it!
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    Click and laugh:

The only way that would work is if he would drive in reverse all the time :surprise:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    And it would still be dragging a front axle that probably would not turn on its own. :D
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    Ha, ha. I spoil my dogs, but I haven't gone that ga-ga yet. ;)
    Hey, you asked! :D
  • vinijinvinijin Member Posts: 28
    GROUND CLEARANCE MATTERS
    I am glad I found this discussion. Bought 09 Odyssey in Feb this year and I used to drive 98 Sienna before. Since I bought Odyssey, I am hitting almost every curb in the parking lots and it is very annoying. In the last winter storm in North East, we had about 5-6" of snow and I had spots of compacted snow on my driveway. My odyssey was scraping that compacted snow every time I drove on my driveway.
    I will appreciate if someone can suggest how to increase that front ground clearance on Odyssey
    Thanks
    Make sure they fit before you do this, but a simple solution is taller tires.

Ask other Ody owners to see what sizes fit without any clearance issues. Also be sure to change all 4 tires, actually 5 with the spare, so that the stability control doesn't go crazy.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Don't think ody's have lift kits available. Next time go with the Pilot. With that much snow don't think the extra on a Sienna would be that much help.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who are researching buying a vehicle and why or why not Chrysler vehicles were considered. Please send your daytime phone number and the car you purchased to ctalati@edmunds.com by Thursday, December 17, 2009.
  • locomolocomo Member Posts: 29
    Anyone think that the deals will get better, for either of these vehicles, after Jan. 4 ?
    Usually they do when the new model year arrives, especially when the Sienna is being redone.

However, I read today that JD Powers is saying December sales picked up significantly, up more than 10% from last year. If inventories are low, discount will not increase, in fact they could disappear.

Tough call.
  • toyojunktoyojunk Member Posts: 19
    As written more than once, my 2006 Sienna LE is inferior to my 2002 Chrysler T&C LX that it replaced. I paid too much for an inferior minivan even though I paid less than Edmund's TMV for a new Sienna LE at the time I got mine. I now know that Edmund's TMV is bloated for Toyotas.

I was impressed with the 2006 Sienna LE nice front door panels, the huge cargo space behind the 3rd row seats, the attractive instrument cluster in the dark warehouse where the dealer stored his new Toyotas, and the comfortable 8 way power driver's seat.

However, my initial excitement with the Sienna wore off quickly when we realized it was inferior to the less expensive T&C LX. For $$$$ more, the Sienna did not have separately controlled temperature for the driver and front passenger which was standard on my T&C. The Sienna Trip Computer is inferior to the trip computer in the 2002 T&C. The front passenger and 2nd row seats of the location is not as accessible as was the spare tire in the T&C. The stereo and HVAC controls are not as convenient to use as those in the Chrysler....and the list goes on and on.

We did not have to place a deposit to test drive a Honda Odyssey but there was a requirement of a $ 500 deposit to get on the waiting list for a 2006 Odyssey when we bought our new 2006 Sienna. There was no waiting list for the less desireable Sienna when we were ready to buy. ;)
  • islandvanislandvan Member Posts: 23
    ok we get it - you do not like your sienna,,,,,,but what i cannot understand is why you simply do not sell the sienna and buy another t&c or something else?

for all your complaining you would think you might become a happier person by selling it to someone who wants it and getting something you do not feel cheated by.
  • siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    Because....if he doesn't sell his "inferior" Sienna he wouldn't have anything to constantly complain about!
    Do yourself a favor and go check out the new T&C. Cost cutting abounds. The leather is shiny and good luck finding a plastic surface that isn't hard and hollow.

Chrysler does deserve kudos for being first with some innovative features, but I wouldn't even put it in the top tier among today's minivans.

the Sienna did not have separately controlled temperature for the driver and front passenger

You'll be glad to hear the 2011 Sienna LE has not only two but THREE zone climate control. Problem solved, and now it leads in that category.

The Sienna Trip Computer

It's been improved not to mention the similar priced Odysseys don't have one at all. Remember this thread is Sienna vs. Ody. So you pointed out another Sienna advantage. Thanks. :)

not as accessible as was the spare tire in the T&C

Toyota offers run-flats for those who want them.

There was no waiting list for the less desireable Sienna when we were ready to buy

It was more desirable to YOU, that's where you put your hard earned money.

Now that you're looking to replace your van, and you know the Sienna LE has 3 zone climate control, I guess you'll rule out the T&C and Ody for not offering that?

I mean, that's so important to you, after all.

LOL :D
    As written more than once, my 2006 Sienna LE is inferior to my 2002 Chrysler T&C LX that it replaced.

More than once yet you're posting it over and over because...why?
    Because - the number of zones in the climate control system is obviously the most important factor in minivans.

He did not realize that in 2006, but he does now. He repeats this because it is vitally important.

Clearly, the way to go today is the 2011 Sienna LE, which is the only game in town with 3-zone climate control in its price range.

I'm sure he'll buy that and not repeat the devastating mistake he made in 2006 going with fewer zones.

:D
  • siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    Bwahahaha!!! I wish he'd just go ahead and buy the obviously superior T&C that has everything he wants.....then maybe he'd stop posting here....but then he wouldn't have anything to complain about, now, would he??? Hey, I know what....he can just go and find him another 2002 T&C that he's always longing for...I'm sure there's one in a salvage yard somewhere......
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Dude, then just trade that Toyo Sienna junk and get yourself a T&C minivan.
    It seems you work for Chrysler or something. Seriously,get real dude.
    02 T&C is superior to the 04 Sienna and has a better interior.. What a joke?? Just Stop all the stupid tirade and go get another T&C. Your posts are junk just like your screen name. :sick:

I personally like the plush,comfy ride of the Sienna rather than the firm,taut Ody`s ride but these are 2 vans for 2 different buying segments and both are much more reliable than the T&C. No comparison really regarding reliability. :shades:

The 2011 Sienna has gotten good reviews and will be in high demand in it`s 1st year. I hope the new redesigned 2011 Ody comes out soon and be competitive to the Sienna. Competition is always good.I am positive that the redesigned Odyssey will have some innovative features and an agile sporty ride. Better for the buyer if there are competing vans and keeps the makers on their toes -- or else they will stagnate and go into BK like chrysler !! ;)
    The 2002 T&C didn't even have 2nd row side windows that open. I don't think that arrived until model year 2008 or so. When I was shopping in early 2007 the Grand Caravan's windows still didn't open.

They were clearly a full generation behind when he bought his 2006. I know side curtain airbags still were not standard on the Grand Caravan even a year later. I found one for under $21k but didn't want to sacrifice safety features for the family.

Dodge caught up on features but forgot about materials quality. My brother rented one in Florida so we compared them side-by-side for a full week. No contest at all IMO. The Ody/Sienna are in a class above.
  • inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    anyone have anymore info about honday ody 2011?
  • dhoggm3dhoggm3 Member Posts: 1
    Our Grand Caravan ate brake pads every 10K miles and needed a whole new tranny at 70K. Great piece of work! AWD Sienna now 70K+ with the usual hatch and seat wrestling issues but otherwise solid. No comparison mechanically.
    FWIW a power folding 3rd row has been available on the Sienna since 2004, I think. I'm sure it's on the pricey models, but at least it's offered.

Still not sure the 2011 content is finalized but I'm reading the 3-zone climate control will be standard even on the very base model.
    Check out the Auto Access Seat - great if you carry around elderly folks or people with moderate disabilities:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20100118/VIDEO/301189875/1354

Check out that DVD screen, my 12" suddenly seems small. :(
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Thanks.

Here's a pic of the seat fully deployed:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef1889e/60#MSG60
  • shawnandtshawnandt Member Posts: 15
    The 2011 SE Sienna is the best looker of the minivans today. Hopefully Honda will do away with the “Lightning Bolt” on their 11 concept. We have an 05 8 pax Sienna and the 2nd row seats are three real seats and the interior materials have gone down hill. Far more 'Hard Plastics' on the new one, obviously to save Toyota money. The new 8 pax seating in the 11 Sienna is useless except to sound good in a brochure. Like the current Odyssey, the Sienna went to a VERY small 2nd row middle seat that is laughable. The interior of the Odyssey Concept looks very promising with 3 real sized seats for the second row that will fit three child seats. Our 2005 Sienna XLE has a very confident not overstated exterior, When Toyota changed to the smiley faced Grill and revised front in 07 they lost it. Same for the previous Chryslers; very elegant with nice soft touch interior as well. So as a previous 99′ Mercury Villager, 02′ Honda Odyssey, and current 05 Sienna (ready for new!) owner, I sum the current offerings up like this. Exterior leader easily goes to 11 Sienna SE, (actually sporty looking), Interior leader, should be 11 Odyssey as Press release speaks of being able to put 3 child seats in 2nd row. Bottom line for us, is 8 life size passenger ability and acceptable looks with quality feeling material on the inside and if we cat get 28 MPG like they're talking from the 11 Ody, looks like van #4 will be an Odyssey. (I’ll just fabricate a small body panel to correct and eliminate the Honda/Lincoln ‘Lightning Bolt’ to ‘correct’ the kinked bodyline!) :)
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    Maybe I'm weird but I think the Ody the showed off recently is the best of the Toyo/Honda designs and that the Chrysler/Dodge/VW van is the best looking exterior(my appreciation for the Chrysler ends there though).

The 8th seat in the Sienna is one of a number of disappointments with the direction Toyota took their new van. I plan to bypass this generation of vans and keep our 2008 Sienna another ten years but I'm curious to see what Honda does inside and with the options. If they follow Toyota's course I'll be especially hoping nothing happens to what we have now.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    We were seriously considering the '11 Sienna, but can't get past the slider frame left behind on the floor after removing the center seats. Can't get a flat floor with this new 3rd gen minivan. Not too bright on Toyo's part. We crossed Sienna off our list. Considered Chrysler minivan, but still too many horror stories of unscheduled maintenance (brakes, electrical). Now waiting on new gen Ody with hopes they don't screw things up.
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    Why do almost all new styles have those triangular rear roof pillars? They are also somewhat tear-drop shape. I just don't like the look at all, and it compromises rear visibility, especially on a large vehicle such as a minivan. If I buy an Odyssey, it will be the 2010. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't like the new Odyssey styling at all. For that matter, I hate what they did to the CRV.
  • hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    As I posted in other forums, that very issue is what knocked me (actually my wife, which translated to me) from the Sienna to the Odyssey. Silly big plastic cupholder base permanently on the floor.....ugh. Plus the center console is fixed, so no opportunity to walk through to the back from the front seats. Finally, the 8th seat latch on the second row driver side seat has an ugly rubber covering that was already ripped on the brand new model sitting at the dealer.

I like the exterior of the 11 Sienna a little better, but the Honda is pretty good too, and the interior of the Honda is just better-designed IMO. I just picked up a 2010 Odyssey a few days ago and love it thus far.
    From a styling standpoint I prefer the 2011 Sienna to the new Ody.

However, let's acknowledge that the odd looking lightning bolt windows does serve a function - that 3rd row window should be low enough that the kids who sit there can use it. Function over form, big time.

Plus the 2011 Ody's mileage is supposed to be improved. I hope if they use VCM that they offer it on ALL models.

Finally, someone told me the Ody's 8th seat is supposed to be full-sized? If so, this reversal alone might have me more interested in the Ody next time around (won't be for a while, I'm driving the wheels off my 07 Sienna).

I can get over ugly, as long as it serves a purpose, has 8 real seats, and comes with great gas mileage. If Honda can boost the horsepower they'll have a winner no matter how it looks.
    I can get over ugly to a point.....I never thought my 2005 Pilot was awesome looking, but it was functional and not bad looking.

Now Pontiac Aztec - sorry, wouldn't drive it if you gave it to me for free.
    Well in that case, on your scale I'd say the new Ody is not Aztec-ugly, but it does look a bit ... awkward?

It is just a concept, so let's see what the production model looks like. If they water it down a bit, it might look allright.
    I agree. I was waiting to make sure the new 2011 Odyssey wasnt some cool new design that would want to make me wait.

Instead, when I saw the pics, within 5 mins I decided not only do I not want to wait for it, but I actually WANT TO MAKE SURE I get a 2010 because I don't want to get stuck with Mr. Lightning bolt that they'll be selling for the next 6 years......so I immediately began the buying process for my 2010.....
    :D

Some folks saw the new, smaller 8th seat in the 2011 Sienna and went out to buy 2010s right away, also.

No way to make everyone happy. Nice thing is you can still find 2010s, and it should be the same way for Honda when it comes out, for a little while.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Time after time I have seen the so called "concept" or " spy" photos and the finished product ends up totally different.

I love it when a new model comes out.

" Oh, I just love the changes"

" Why did they mess it up?"

Most people like the changes but there are always a few that don't.

One woman drilled me for fifteen minutes because we took the spare tire off of the back door on CRV's!

Same with colors...

" Oh honey, look at that beautiful green color"

or...

" Oh YUCK...what a pukey green color...what was Honda thinking?"

I suppose this is why restaurants have menus.
    It's not so much that they relocated the spare, as much as the fact that it's a donut now. That plus if you actually get a flat, where can you fit the full-size flat? It won't fit in the same spot.

Sadly that has become industry standard. It saves weight and cost, so everyone does it now, with only a few exceptions.
  • shawnandtshawnandt Member Posts: 15
    Unfortunately Designers sometimes convince the rest of Mgt. or any detractors that they just aren't 'Up to Date' with trends and a new design will really hit home when consumers just 'Get it'.

The designers of the 1996 Taurus took that car from the segment leader to sales disappointment because the designed polarized people. No problem if you have a low-volume 'Niche' vehicle but the Odyssey is a segment leader and by definition has more people to satisfy.

Another example is the Ford 500 vs the New Taurus. Although Industry wide vehicle sales are down, the revised modern, understated elegance of the new vehicle inside and out have actually increased the models sales numbers.

Funny thing is, I've got three little ones and even in their car seats, they all can see out all the windows of our Sienna without a 'Kink' in the beltline and I'd rather our families Minivan look as good as possible than worrying about justifying some designers 'Lightning Bolt' on the side.

We love our Sienna, but the 2011, interior materials vs. the 10's and earlier (soft touch materials) is very disappointing. If Toyota did this to the things me and the wife can see and touch, what did they skimp that we can't see? Sad thing is the 11 Sport Edition we absolutely love the exterior.

I know if I was buying an 8 passenger minivan today, it would be the 2010 Sienna. If I wanted a 7 Pax van, the Current Odyssey would get my money. (DVD controls and control of the rear HVAC blower right next to the driver as it should be. If you can wait awhile, I'd look at the 11 Ody when it comes out.
    No, that wasn't it. She liked the way the spare tire looked mounted on the rear door. People can be so funny.

The only people that complain about the lack of a "full sized" spare are old men.

I guess they remember the "old days" when getting flat tires were a common occurance. A modern compact spare can be driven at prudent highway speeds for quite a distance. They are used to conserve space and reduce weight.

And the full sized flat WILL fit in that well. Just not flush.
    I don't get the big deal with the flat ..... the full sized flat will fit in the CARGO AREA just fine - you only need to keep it there while you drive to the tire store ??!??!?! I guess if you happen to be on vacation and the van is fully loaded throughout then you might have a problem, but otherwise what is the big deal? According to the owners manual on my 2010, they even give you a vinyl bag to put the old flat wheel into so you don't dirty up your cargo area.
    Oh, you would be surprised over what can be a "big deal" to some people.

The spare will fit in the well but it won't fit flush.

Certainly not a big deal to me.
    I wouldn't want the wheel hanging off the back. Get rear-ended like I did in a drive thru and what would have cost $300 to fix now costs $2,500+.

As you'll see in this Dateline NBC video, those tires cause LOTS of problems, breaking windows and ruining entire tailgates, instead of just the bumper.

Dateline Low-Speed Crash Test Video
    edited February 2010
    So what?

That's what insurance companies are for!

Especailly the other guys!

Personally, I don't care where the spare tire is.
    What if you're in the middle of a long road trip and the cargo area is full?

Roof rack I suppose.

I was driving from Ocean City, MD to the DC area, about a 3 hour drive, and got a flat right about half way, in Bridgeville, MD.

Luckily I had a full sized spare (98 Forester).

If the same thing happened today, I'd be driving for 90 minuts on a donut, crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at less than 50mph.

Like I said, it's industry-standard now, so I won't complain because none of the carmakers are listening.
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    I guess I'm the only one who likes the styling on the new Odyssey over the 2010 and over the 2011 Sienna. The new Sienna looks like a mild derivation of the old one where the Honda went further and took a big chunk of the minivan look out of it (while keeping minivan functionality presumably). I usually hate major styling changes when I first see them, but most grow on me over time (see the 2006 vs 2008 Audi TT for example). I wouldn't rush out and buy a 2010 Odyssey now w/o first seeing the production 2011 model, and then even letting some time pass to see if it grows on you. 2010s will be available for at least a few months after the release of the new one.
    took a big chunk of the minivan look out of it

That I agree with.

I'm just not sure it went in the right direction.

Let's see the production model, though.

The dog-leg kink in the Hyundai Genesis coupe's C-pillar has grown on me (though I sort of liked it the first time I saw it). It's distinctive.
    A couple of reasons why I can't agree with "so what" if only on a personal level...

1.) When my car is older (as my '96 is currently) I insure it liability only. Its worth less than $3k, so I'm not going to pay the $1500/yr+ it'd cost me to put collision coverage on that car. Now who cares? Me.

2.) Even WITH full coverage, if my deductable is $500 (it is) on my newer, full-coverage car, I'd take a $300 hit, leave the insurance company completely out of it, and keep my rates from going up because I've gotten hit. At $2,500, I'm out the $500 plus I'm more likely to get increased rates because of the accident claim I reported.