Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You have nitrous in your van? ;)

BUCKLE UP, KIDS! :D
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You have nitrous in your van?

Only after a couple of bowls of feijoada.

;)
    feijoada: noun, a black bean stew typically from the northeastern region of Brazil.

For those who didn't get it. :)
  • hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    No, installing a DVD shouldn't void the car's warranty

HOWEVER the point is that the aftermarket DVD is not covered under warranty, but the Honda RES IS covered under warranty.
    edited April 2010
    That's true, but the aftermarket unit has its own warranty.

Unless you buy from Circuit City and they go out of business. :D

Actually mine's still covered by Clarion.

The funny thing is CC tried to sell me an extended warranty. I laughed, of course, but the salesman told me the warranty was secured by GE Capital, warranty insurance basically. So it would still be valid even though CC closed.
  • lyndapyrlyndapyr Member Posts: 10
    I did not get the RES on my 2007 Odyssey and after I totaled it I was seriously considering getting it on my new one. However, my friend had the system in her 2007 Sienna and within the year it had to be replaced. the warranty covered it but within a few months that DVD also went out and when they tried to charge her $ 1200.00 she refused to pay. the Toyota Dealer said the warranty was out but she kept on til they agreed she did not have to pay since the last DVD was less than a year old. Sure enough that system has now gone out and she has not had a functioning one for about 2 months-- reason-- toyota has changed the brand and size they now install and they " cannot locate one like what was in the 2007's--- then when we wen ton a trip in her car and took my wrap on the seat kind her grandkids were excited they could each watch different movies, which was not available on her antiquated 2007 system.
    So I thought, I'll just stick with my $ 150.00 seat backs for the new one too.
    Sucks, but I'd search a salvage yard.
  • mbojamboja Member Posts: 4
    Looking to purchase new:
    2010 Odyssey EX-L w/ DVD and NAV
    or
    2010/11 Toyota Sienna SEL w/ DVD and Nav

which one can I get my moneys worth for the best price. I think we are leaning more toward 2010 Odyssey
    Are there still 2010 Sienna around? I think by now most if not all are gone.

I just searched and Fitzgerald Toyota has 109 Sienna and not a single 2010 remaining. Search on fitzmall.com if you feel up to it, they list no-haggle prices.

Any how, Honda has bigger incentives right now, since a new model is around the corner. My co-worker is actively shopping and said there was a $3000 incentive (that sounds high to me, it could be wrong, could be the total dealer discount).

She's finding smaller discounts on the Sienna. Dealers aren't dealing as much. Sienna sales were up 40% in April so it's not a buyer's market right now. New model, high demand, they figure they don't have to discount as much.

Also, you can't get the SE model with Navigation, it would have to be an XLE.

You're likely to get better deals right now from Honda.

Good luck shopping. :shades:
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    Even thought you'll probably still find a better deal on the 2010 Odyssey, the incentives have actually been cut back for May:

http://www.autoloandaily.com/loan-news/car-deals/rebates-and-incentives/2136-may- -2010-foreign-car-incentives-0-car-loan

Honda - Honda has dramatically scaled back its incentives in May. Honda offered the "really big thing" lease program the past two months, with no money due at lease signing on several models. In May, Honda is only offering auto loan incentives. Shoppers can buy a 2010 Accord sedan, coupe or Crosstour or a Civic sedan or coupe with a 0.9% auto loan for 24 to 36 months or 1.9% for 37 to 60 months.
    Yeah, I saw her again today. She's very upset and dropped the Ody from her shopping list. :cry:

It's Murphy's Law. Last year I bought a Miata, 18 days later the incentives went up. Now she's shopping, hesitates, and the incentives drop. What can you do? :confuse:

Can't 2nd guess the market.

Her best price quote right now is an XLE for just under $30 grand. She may buy that. The salesman showed her the heated leather/moonroof and she fell in love. The LE is arguably a better value but you know how it goes...once you fall in love, you won't be happy with anything less.
  • nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    Not at all surprised the incentives have been scaled back at Honda. They had good sales in March and April, and inventory is low, at least in my area of OH.
    I felt her pain last year when Honda dropped the incentives on the 2009 on July 7, 2009. Was in the market but didn't buy quick enough. Got a good price in March 2010 though. :D Almost as good as the 2009 price.

If she has a quote for an XLE Sienna for less than 30K, that sounds very good. Availability of the 2011 Sienna is much better in my area than the 2010 Odyssey. One of my local Toyota dealers is showing over 30 units in stock on their web page.
    Sienna sales were up 40% last month so I'm sure supply is constrained for that van as well.

I did read about Honda trucks being in short supply on Automotive News.
    Someone just wrote on the Odyssey thread that Odyssey dealer cash incentive actually ROSE to $1500 in May.....
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    It's possible new incentives were released on the 7th, since the existing incentives expired on 5/7.
    Thanks, I will alert my friend.

She has a standing offer with a Toyota dealer, and they do with her, but neither side has come to an agreement yet.
    My friend ended up buying a 2011 Sienna LE last night.

She got Silver over gray, $26k even, plus tax and tags. MSRP was $29.9k so that seems like a reasonable discount.

I'll ask her about it in a week or so, once they've driven it around a bit.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Judging by the price I'm guessing V6?

I'd like to hear how the 4-cyl feels everyday (probably just fine), merging/passing at highway speeds (I've got doubts). Juice, you're the go-to Sienna-guy; don't let me down. :shades:
    Yes, V6, LE model, gray cloth, silver paint.

It's funny because I was one of the first to check out the interior of the new Sienna (at the DC Auto Show) but I still have not driven a 2011+.

I'm all for fuel economy but the sheer size and payload that goes in minivans would send me looking to the V6. I forget which car magazine tested both, but they actually got worse mileage in the 4 banger because it worked so hard to keep up all the time.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    Comparing the 2011 Sienna with the 2010 Odyssey (I do no have inside specifications for the Odyssey 2011) that the Sienna has 3 more inches legroom in the driver's search and 3 inches shorter in the middle and rear seats. When I first bought my 2002 Odyssey I checked all the minivans available for the hight of my knees while sitting in the middle and back seats. Hone had the most.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    For the 2011 Sienna, the middle row is a slider - ton of room in 2nd if all the way back, but that leaves 3rd row not too usable. Depends on whether you need the 3rd row all the time, or just some of the time.
    If you remove the middle seats in the 2011 Sienna, each seat base still remains in the tracks. These seat bases are in the way if you need all the cargo room possible in the Sienna.
    Does it stick up enough that it's a problem, though?

I checked one out this weekend, because people had complained about kids possibly tripping on that base when trying to get to the back.

What I found, though, is that you'd be more likely to slide the outboard seat forward to gain access to the 3rd row. It opens a pretty huge gap for more direct access vs. squeezing between the seats in the 2nd row.

The seat base gives you a little storage nook and two extra cup holders when the middle seat is not in use, but it does stick up an inch or two.
    IMO the seat base design in the Sienna is ghey

It looks ghey - it gets dirty - kids walk all over it on the way to the back.

Forget the storage "nook" and the cupholders on the floor, and give me a nice flat floor with carpet please.

Plus the way the middle seat BOLTS into the drivers side 2nd row seat is also ghey - where it bolts through some giant rubber grommet thing that looks ghey. On the Sienna I looked at which was 2 days old at the dealer, that rubber grommet already was torn and had grease on it.

Ghey all day :shades:
    I won't re-post here, but here's a link to my impressions on the 2011, good and bad:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1d8cc1/398#MSG398

By far the biggest let down is the 8th seat. :sick:
    The first minivan to earn that designation, though to be fair the Odyssey was never tested for roof strength, so technically it wasn't eligible.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=422

So the new Sienna earned Good scores in front, side, head restraint, and roof crush resistance. The roof held up more than 4 times the van's weight, which is darn impressive given how much these vehicles weigh.
    Good summary. ;)
  • ingridringridr Member Posts: 20
    Hi All,

Now that my 99 Forester has 190K miles on it, I am looking to replace it. I show dogs so have been researching vans in anticipation of this for awhile and the Odyssey and Sienna are my top choices. I drive about 17K miles a year and most of it is highway traveling to dog shows. Don't need fancy. Just need a safe, reliable vehicle with plenty of cargo room

I want to spend between 12-14K and live in MT. I know this is not going to buy me anything close to new but I have the 14K in cash so that might go a little further than if I had to finance.

In my area (area in MT being under 240 miles) there are the following vans listed at dealerships:

2004 Odyssey LX (basic model) with 52K miles - $13K
    2006 Sienna LE with 85K miles - $15K
    2007 Sienna LE with 43K miles - $17K
    2005 Sienna XLE with 72K miles - $18K

Obviously all the Sienna's are over the 14K but I figure I have at least a shot to get the 2006 in my price range. My questions are these:

1) This will be the first non-Subaru that I will be buying and I am used to having a vehicle that I does not have significant repair issues until you get close to the 200K range. How much life do these Sienna's have? If I bought one with 85K - how much more miles should I expect to get out of it before I run into more than routine servicing? How about the Odyssey? 52K seems pretty low for an 04, particularly in Montana where you drive quite a bit to get to places.

2) I have been told to go 2005 or younger on the Odyssey - based on this should I skip looking at this vehicle?

3) Are these prices rock bottom for these vehicles in your opinion or do I have some haggle room?

4) Barring any major issues that knock them out of the running, how would you rank them in order of looking at?

5) Or should I just suck it up and buy a one way ticket to a major city like Denver and hope to find something there?

Sorry for the book - just trying to cover my bases and pick all your brains Thanks for any and all help that you all can give me!
    We've gone to a lot of dog shows in our 2002 Honda Odyssey. The 2004 Odyssey could serve you well, especially if you could get them down ~1500.00 or so. Run a CarFax on anything you buy.

A lot of our show friends have the Sienna. Others have the Odyssey.

Good luck on your search.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    2) I have been told to go 2005 or younger on the Odyssey - based on this should I skip looking at this vehicle?

I'd be concerned about pre-2005 Odysseys due to the significant transmission problems many of them had. You can probably search the forums here for details.
    Wasn't the latest update to the Ody transmission applied for MY2007? Maybe you can find a higher mileage, newer one.

With Siennas, just avoid any pre-2004 models. The 1MZ V6 was the sludgy engine, 2003 and prior models. 04-06 had the 3MZ V6, which was fine. 07+ got the 2GR and has also been fine.

I'd recommend 07+ Ody and 04+ Sienna.

I went from a 98 Forester to a 2007 Sienna and we've been happy.

We did miss the AWD so we got a 2009 Forester as well. :shades:
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    The Ody got a transmission update for 04. The earliest models didn't have it out of the factory, but there was a service bulletin for dealer's to update it. It supposedly resolved the 2nd gear issue and Consumer Report reliability charts seem to confirm this. In fact, the 04 looks better than many of the later model Ody's in CU. I think the biggest issue with Ody's in general is noise. Of course, early Sienna models had some issues as well, although I don't think they involved the tranny - more hardware, power doors. etc. An 04 is now 6 years old and given all the stuff on minivans, you are probably going to experience some problems down the road regardless of which one you choose
    Didn't it get further revisions later, derived from the Ridgeline? I thought that came out in 06 and the Ody got them for 07.

Maybe it did, but you're correct, CR shows an improvement even back in 04.

So 04 or newer for both is a good rule of thumb.
    edited June 2010
    Newscast just said that the 11 Ody's center seat in the 2nd row will be 4" wider than current one.

And, yes, Juice, you're right, the 07 Ody had a second improvement to the tranny (the Ridgeline 3 shaft one), but there still are complaints on shudders.

Otherwise, claim for MPG is still 19city / 28 hwy

Datasheets / transcript:
    http://hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/5482
    http://hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/5481
    Very nice, I remember that was an early rumor, the wide seat that is. Still no interior pics? For me that feature was crucial.

Ultra wide screen, looks like they'll match the swagger wagon's. Cool box, too, is new, sorta Chrysler-ish.

No AWD or power 3rd row?

I gotta bookmark your link because I don't have time to read that whole story right now, but thanks.
    edited June 2010
    imagehttp://www.vtec.net/articles/article-image?image=905098/11ody_pr-005.jpg
    Middle seat looks similar to current one, with what looks to be a wider base, but narrower back. The trick, I think, is that the outbound seats can move out, thereby providing more space for like a car seat in the middle.

More pics here:
    http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=905098
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    edited June 2010
    Snacker put up the link for the full Honda site for the 2011 Ody on the 2011 thread. You can click here.

Interior looks pretty clever.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Honestly, I'm kind of disappointed in both of these minivan '11 restyles. The Sienna interior is chintzy and looks like it could have been designed by GM several years ago. I'll have to see the Honda in person, but the pictures make it look like a salvage yard welded 3 different vehicles together.
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    Wow, the exterior of the 2011 Odyssey is really revolting. Sienna takes the "good looking" crown in my opinion.
    Well, I'm disappointed. While the 8th seat is 4" wider, per the videos, it could have been wider still - by far.

In wide mode, you end up with 2" gaps between the seats, which means stuff will fall down to the ground. They should have just made the center seat 4" wider and used wide mode all the time.

Comfort slide = Front and Center on my 2007 Sienna, except the seat appears to be 11-13" wide or so. My seat is a full 20" wide. It's still a night-and-day difference.

Any how, it is significantly better than the outgoing Ody's 8th seat and even looks better than the new Sienna's, plus no base to get tangled up in between the seats.

Overall, though:

old Sienna > new Ody > new Sienna > old Ody

For seating arrangements.

Honda did manage to keep the outer arm rests, at least. Plus that arrangement will come on "select models", same problem with Toyota where not all models get it.

Honda added stuff Sienna's had for a while - I have puddle lights and power lumbar on my 07 LE. They also get a big rims (18", though Sienna offers 19") and ultra-wide screen to counter the swagger wagon.

I have plenty of questions...

1. Does the 2nd row tumble forward? In the video it didn't.
    2. Where the spare? That model had run-flats, what about others?
    3. Is the lazy susan gone, then?
    4. Powertrain - HP? Trans?

Styling is subjective and would be a very low priority for me in this class, but count me in the camp that thinks the rear 1/3rd of this vehicle seems like it's falling off. The whole back of it sags. The black rear spoiler at the top/rear doesn't help - it should at least be body color.

Front view is the best. Rear is OK, if a bit bland. Again, though, who really cares. The interior looks great, but I have to see it/touch it. The Sienna looked improved but feels worse.

They still haven't hidden the sliding door seam. I guess they kept the door track low to add space to the 3rd row, but it really slices and dices the profile view.

28mpg sounds amazing, let's see when powertrain details come out.

So, mixed feelings overall. The 8th seat was crucial to me, and I wouldn't be happy with either of these, though this Ody does seem better than the new Sienna. Still, I'd get a left over or CPO 2010 Sienna to get a real, 20" wide seat instead, and pass on the bling-bling big rims and flashy but overpriced entertainment options (Toyota wants $2500 for theirs).
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter for a major daily newspaper is looking for someone in the market currently for a minivan or soon to be in the market. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by July 7, 2010.
    Sienna actually outsold Odyssey for the first time....ever maybe?

9,357 Siennas vs. 9,271 Odys in June.

Of course the new Ody is right around the corner, but with the price advantage on the Honda now I didn't expect that to happen.
  • abbyroseabbyrose Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    I will tell you that the new Odyssey looks really sharp and sleek in person. It really almost (I said almost) doesn't look like a traditional Minivan. There is just something about the way it looks in person. Comparing the Honda and Toyota I think the Sienna is a little bit 'clunky' looking in person. I hate the reclining seats in the Sienna too.

Honda vs Toyota
  • abbyroseabbyrose Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    I think the new Odyssey looks WAY better in person than the old one. It just seems to look 'tougher' to me.
    Honda vs Toyota
  • inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    Well the the reclining seats can't be reclined while the car is in motion. So its really not that helpful.
    Where were you to be fortunate enough to see one in person?