Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You mean post 2430? I was thinking more of 2394, 2423, and 2427... and especially 2408--and on that note, I was hoping we could return to discussions about the Yaris.
  • ttaittai Member Posts: 114
    see thread 2430
  • boris13boris13 Member Posts: 80
    "...on that note, I was hoping we could return to discussions about the Yaris."

We have. The verdict is that it's a great little car and a great value, despite your huffing and puffing to the contrary.

That's it. Case closed. No need for you to go on here.
    So there's no need for anyone who has anything but sweetness-and-light re the Yaris to post here? Why not start burning books (or magazines that have negative comments about the Yaris) while you're at it? Be careful though not to get too close to the fire; you'll blow it out. ;)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's get back to discussing the car and away from discussing each other please. Thanks.
    Is the Yaris LB just too big and not cute enough for you. Meet its little brother coming in 08. It will be restyled to look like a mini Yaris-if that's possible.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/toyota/toyota-aygo-ar34304.html
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    "Coming" to where? Europe? It doesn't look like something for the US.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Click on the "Toyota Aygo" under the picture for more info. Slated for Europe only. Plus that camera angle in the original picture squishes it up. It looks better.
    Here ya go. More info on the US bound Aygo.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1493?@@
    I don't see the value proposition of a car like that vs. the Yaris hatchback, which is very short yet can seat up to five people in a pinch and get around 40 mpg, with decent comfort and good safety when equipped with optional ABS and airbags. The Aygo would need to get 50+ mpg overall and cost a few thousand bucks less than the Yaris to make it worth looking at for me. I don't see either of those things happening. There isn't that much less material in the Aygo to allow Toyota to price it much less than the Yaris.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    Does anyone have info on how the HB Yaris does in rear end collisions? I looked on the IHHS? website and it says to compare to all related Toyota vehicles - or something to that nature. Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of witnessing this first hand? Also, does anyone know if Toyota will bring a clean burning deisel to the U.S. any time soon? Thanks :)
    If you click on the link re "see results for all Toyota models" (http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraints/headrestraints.aspx?toyota) you'll see that the Yaris is rated "Marginal" for rear-end collisions. However, keep in mind that this rating is really only for the driver's seat, not for the structure of the car being hit from the rear. The rear "crash" test from the IIHS utilizes a seat mounted to a test frame. No crash of the car is involved. The test tells you, for example, how well the seat protects from neck injuries in a rear crash.

Another thing to keep in mind for any small car like the Yaris HB with little crash space between the rear bumper and the rear passengers is that it will not be as safe in a rear crash as a larger, heavier vehicle with a lot of rear crash space. That's not a dig on the Yaris, just the laws of physics.
  • neatnick79neatnick79 Member Posts: 12
    :) Actually, my Yaris liftback was rear-ended a couple of months ago at a red light, by a Ford Explorer. It was only a couple miles per hour, didn't look too bad. Anyways, the repair shop replaced the inside of the bumper (the foam was crushed), the bumper cover, etc., and painted it... when all was said and done it cost the other guy's insurance company $515.00. No other damage than to the bumper, though! I love this car!
    Here ya go. This has a test for all the mini cars.
    If you are truly concerned aabout safety, get curtain airbags. The yaris with side airbags did fairly well.
    But don't take any bad opinions. Watch for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1RCL2zCVmU&mode=related&search=
    At 2 mph, there should have been zero damage except maybe some scratches on the bumper. But that is not just the Yaris, it's the sorry state of bumpers in general today. (Refer to recent IIHS tests of mid-sized and luxury car bumpers, for example.) My '76 Corolla has steel bumpers swathed in rubber strips, backed by coil springs. That car could (and did once) take a 5 mph impact with no damage.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Has anyone had a sunroof/moonroof, power or otherwise, installed aftermarket on/in their Yaris? Particularly the LiftBack model? I'm curious to know. Toyota, again, has no such option available for the 2008 versions, not even for the new S model liftback. I wonder why? Hmmmmmm... :confuse:

Peace!<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
    I'm a member of the YarisWorld forums and I remember reading there that a member or two had installed aftermarket sunroofs. So, yes, it can be done. I believe the cost was around $1000 - 1200.
  • fastrunnerfastrunner Member Posts: 38
    I plan on getting a non-electric sunroof installed local. Give me a week or two, and I will let you know the cost, when I ask for an quote/estimate.
    I had one installed on my Honda CRX and it was approx. $300. in 2000. It never leaked, and it never gave me any problems.
    Here you go. A real money saving alternative!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/21/decano-self-adhesive-sunroof-doesnt-let-the-s- un-shine-in/

As to the board you refer to, I was a member until I found it was mainly for 18 - 23 yr olds. :)
    Fastrunner...

Hi-

That's kind of you...

I look forward to your conclusions with details, please!

Many thanx!!!

Peace<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
    I don't think so, desertguy...

LOL

Peace!<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
  • fastrunnerfastrunner Member Posts: 38
    I stopped in to ask about prices at Automotive Concepts.
    http://www.automotiveconcepts.net/install/sunroofs/index.htm
    Inbuilt was expensive, like $1100+.
    Top Slider was $630, and $730. for the larger.
    Pop Top was not offered, so no price was given. This is the sunroof I had installed on my Honda CRX years ago.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    Pretty funny.

That is in the top ten for all time dumb ideas. Wait until someone tries to sell the car and has issues with it:

A. bubbling/trapping moisture and rust/discoloring

B. ruining paint trying to get it off.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I've had a new Yaris Lift Back with stick shift for 3,400 miles now. Averaging 38 mpg on my freeway commute including incidental surface streets to and from work/home.

Upgraded from the 14" 175 tires to 14" 195 tires (Kumho KH16, a bargain from Tire Rack). No noticeable improvement in handling or braking - apparently the stock Bridgestone RE92's are pretty good, even if a little narrow by today's standards. However, the ride got a little smoother. Noise about the same - the stock tires were very quiet and although the Kumho's are rated extra quiet by Consumer Reports, they aren't any better than the Bridgestones they replaced. Thanks to the 14" wheel size, the replacement tires were dirt cheap - about $45 a tire plus $7 shipping and handling, $10 to install each tire.

Brake feel not so good initially, as they brake pads wore in they feel better - normal, now. If they come out with Hawk performance pads, I will upgrade, something I don't usually do with my econo-commuters.

The rear end always felt "hoppy" as though it wasn't well connected to the ground, even on freeway cruising. So I added a TRD rear sway bar, which has made a world of difference. It doesn't convert the car from understeer to neutral or even oversteer (one common problem with adding only a rear sway bar, as I found out with a 2004 VW Golf) but it does get rid of that hoppy feeling. Apparently the rear end needs a sway bar to tie it together, curiously the twist beam isn't enough. THIS modification is highly recommended to other enthusiasts, and even for parents who find this car a little squirrely at high speed (with the sway bar, it feels like a bigger car).

I got my sway bar online from Sparks Toyota for $152 with under $10 in shipping and handling charges and it only cost $60 to install (just a bolt on each side of the shock mount, not extra straps, drilling, or brackets required). Best painted finish I've seen yet on an aftermarket part like this, TRD (Toyota Racing Development) does a good job.

This is a very fun ride. Handles nimbly, more like a sports car than a "B" class car. I like it better than the Echo and Scion xA I owned before. Although horsepower actually got downgrade on the spec sheet from my Echo/Scion due to different test requirements, this version of Toyota's 1.5 feels zippier than my prior two versions.

The dashboard still picks up rub marks from finger nails and skin, but these disappear after wiping with a damp, lint free rag.

What I DON'T like about the car is it's size. It's one size down from the smallest cars we typically like in America. Although it has as much interior room as a Chevy Cobalt, it is much lighter and will likely fare less well in two car collisions. If it weren't as much fun, and cheap to buy and operate as it is, I'd recommend a Corolla, Caliber, etc. instead.
    I got the TRD rear anti-sway bar too (dealer installed). I agree, it makes a huge difference. Less "hoppy," as you said; and it also eliminates quite a bit of body roll in cornering.

Toyota should make the anti-sway bar part of the new liftback "S" package for 2008.

What I don't agree with you about is the size. I think it's perfect: easy to maneuver, easy to park, and much bigger inside than it looks like from the outside.

The paradigm is shifting in terms of car size. In 10 years, we'll probably view the Chevy Cobalt as a mid-size.
    I agree. I think the lift back is the perfect size. We also have the new Rav4 and it sits in the garage and we take the Yaris everywhere.
  • sweetgrlsweetgrl Member Posts: 4
    So I have had my 4 door, automatic Yaris for a year now and I am seriously contemplating trading it in. The rattles from the car interior are driving me crazy! Originally, there was one rattle caused by a loose connection of the plastic around the gauge cluster. Now it seems like there are rattles coming from all over!! The gas milage is great, but the inerior is just terrible. Thinking about an Elantra or Versa, but I hate the thought of the monetary hit I will be taking getting rid of this car so soon. I really wanted to love this car :(
    It's not unusual to get a car that has rattles out of a
    bunch of cars that don't. Every manufacturer, even the
    luxury ones, have them. You are one of the unlucky ones.
    If you switch cars at a great expense, you may or may not
    get lucky. Rattles are easy to fix if the dealer is willing. It's usually just a bad clip. My Yaris is good so far. Elantras and Versas get lower gas mileage. If you're
    fine with that, go for it.
  • lucynethellucynethel Member Posts: 81
    Walk around the sides of your Yaris. Take a couple fingers & just "TAP" on the sheet metal. As you get to the front sides near the side mirrors, hear all the CLATTER from the chintzy metal that has no reinforcement? This car needs ribs installed in so MANY places to have any quietness.....NO such problems since switching to our Hyundai. NEVER thought I would see the day I would prefer/like (or ever OWN) ANY Korean vehicle over ANY Toyota. Sad. :lemon:
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. The door of the Yaris is as heavy as a Buick because they reinforced it. Tapping the plastic outside tells you nothing. If you want proof, look at how bad the Hyundai did in crash tests even with side airbags. Buying a Huyndai is taking your life in your hands. Stop this Toyota disinformation campaign. I'm getting tired of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1RCL2zCVmU&mode=related&search=
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    What will be sad is you when your Hyundai starts nickle and diming you to death, or starts stranding you along the highway after you've had it for only a year or two. Then you'll be wishing you had your "chintzy" Japanese car back!
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Cross that one off my list, then...
    As if you had it on a list to begin with. I notice a
    bunch of Hyundai people have been attacking Honda and
    Toyota forums. I wonder why? Desperation?
    How old are you? Three? I actually do have a list of cars to drive and test before replacing my Corolla within the next 3-6 months.

And yourself?
    I'm 30, Am an engineer, and do SCCA solo trials
    racing. I have a Yaris Hatch. I test drove the
    Fit, Versa, and ran away from Hyundais. So you still
    believe a Yaris is made of plastic? You must not
    be very smart.
    And for 30, you're not very mature. Goodbye.
    If you think the Yaris is plastic, you have not done much research on the cars on your "list" have you?
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ...the Korean car lovers can make themselves feel good about their chioce is to make unsubstantiated claims and comparisons to Japanese cars. The reason they are unsubstantiated is because there is no long term reliability data available to support claims that Korean cars are built just as good or better than Japanese cars. Korean car owners base their erroneous comparisons on the relentless marketing strategies used by the Koreans (which almost always makes false claims comparing their vehicles to the Japanese), initial quality ratings (which are useless for determining long term reliability) given by companies such as J.D. Powers, and magazine articles, which only compare brand new vehicles (yet another useless method of determining true build quality and long term reliability).

Take notice Korean vehicles are almost always compared to the Japanese. That's because it's a known fact the Japanese build the most reliable vehilces on the planet. The Koreans and their supporters can make all the claims they want, but until they can support their claims with facts, the fact remains that the Japanese still build the best vehicles. Unsubstantiated claims are nothing but poppycock.
    People still have this misconception that because the outside skin of a car is soft platic, it's not as safe as a hard metal, 1970's Cadillac. They design cars to collapse these days to absorb the shock of a crash. If you hit head on in a 1970's Cadi head on at 50 mph, the shock will kill you. The car will not give. It's funny people still tap on the outer cover these days. Kick the tires too while you're at it.
    Here is a perfect little clip to prove your point from the 5th Gear show. Very interesting:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1897765951498046612&hl=en
    Awesome link! Now is it true that I'll go blind if I...nevermind.
    No, you'll just need glasses!
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Let's add some objective, empirical information to all of these subjective, and somewhat opinion-based, posts . . . My Background: I've owned the following marques of cars since 1968: Triumph, MG, Jaguar, Datsun, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan (same as Datsun, of course), Porsche, SAAB, and Volvo - not necessarily in that chronological order. Present Day: I own an 2005 Accord LX, 2007 Camry LE, and, my wife's older 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS.

Ladies and Gentlemen on this forum, I've been a "gear head" for almost 40 years, and one would have to be to own the British iron I previously owned. I learned to "turn wrenches" with the best of them - by necessity. All of the aforementioned brands and vehicles were purchased new, never used.

You can say what you will about the Korean cars, but I must say our overall ownership experience with the Hyundai has been exemplary, equal to or better than both the Honda and Toyota we currently own. The Hyundai has 152,000 miles on the clock, and with the exception of normal routine maintenance (3,000 miles or 3 month oil changes, 24,000 miles or 2 year ATF changes), the only non-routine maintenance has been the replacement of the alternator at 103,000 miles at a cost of $79 - I bought it online and replaced it myself. Of course, the engine's timing belt was replaced at 60,000 and 120,000 miles, but this is standard routine preventive maintenance as per the book. I'm not talking tires, brakes, hoses, etc. here, as all of these are normal wear and tear items. That's it, after 5+ years, and 152,000 miles. No engine problems, no automatic transmission problems, no suspension or steering problems, etc. It had one warranty issue within the first 6 months of ownership - an 02 sensor. Pretty darn good I would say!

The Accord has been the equal, but it's had 5 warranty-related service issues, 2 within the first year of ownership. The Camry, unfortunately, that's another story. We've had it in the shop several times during 2007, not only for the drive-by-wire throttle problems so well known on Edmunds.com, but for an automatic transmission shift flare problem. And, the dash has several squeaks and rattles already. The verdict is still out on this one.

That's one person's direct experience on Korean vehicles vs. the competition. And, it's a substantiated claim, unlike perhaps others. The overall quality of build of "this" Hyundai is equal to either our Ohio-built Honda or Kentucky-built Toyota, including panel gaps, seam matching, etc. Of course, this is just one sample, and I must admit that I take excellent care of all of our cars. The Hyundai is just as solid today, with no squeaks, rattles, or rust, as the day my wife drove it off of the Hyundai dealer's lot. I understand everyone's misgivings, but many statements on these forums are made without ANY ownership experience with a brand of car - rather only hearsay evidence or supposition.

The initial Japanese cars we owned were no Rock of Gibraltar examples of quality and reliability. The Datsun and Mazda, and our earliest Toyota Corolla, had their share of significant mechanical and body problems. Over time, these companies improved their products immensely. In my opinion, based upon being a past or present owner of many of these brands, Hyundai is mirroring the same exponential improvement as the Japanese brands that came before it. Think about it folks: The Asian mentality in building cars, attention to detail, and concern for quality is different than most other cultures, and the last time I checked, Koreans are Asians too.
    colloquor: I've had far more British cars and motorcycles than you could imagine, plus many more autos (some quite exotic) in my 50 plus years of buying vehicles. So what!! Why are we talking about Hyundais? This is a Yaris board and most of us are interested in this marque. Some people feel they have to justify their choice of auto to others. I'm not one of them. And I love my Yaris. For what it was designed to do, it does it well.

PS I drove a 1966 Toyota Corona off the showroom floor in Phoenix and never had a problem with it.
    No kidding. I came here for Yaris info and I get a bunch of lame Hyundai marketing and sales jobs. Being a suspicious person, I pointed that out and Pat, the host, deleted my post. What gives!! I don't care about Hyundais. I looked at them, hated them, and bought a Yaris. Get over it Accent lovers. Going 0-60 in 12.5 seconds does not appeal to me. Getting poor crash test results do not appeal to me. Move along Hyundai.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. I'm reading the Yaris' forum because my niece is looking at a new Yaris, as well as other brands of cars. And, there were previous references to Hyundai, as well as other brands on this forum. Therefore, I wanted to add my actual experience with the brand - that's all! I didn't realize that it was so exclusionary and narrow-minded, and certainly didn't think I was going to be blasted by offering good-faith information.

I don't have to justify my purchases of anything, and was not doing so here. I offered the information based on experience, and thus, thought some folks might actually be interested - apparently not. It was not marketing or sales hyperbola, simply life experience, which is more endemic than many of the uninformed opinions that are written about many brands of cars here on Edmunds.com.

Some people take things entirely too seriously!
    If you and other Yaris owners want to keep this discussion focused on the Yaris, then why not do that and refrain from posts like yours and bottgers' where you go off on long tirades against Hyundai and anyone who happens to like their cars? Why not just stick to the Yaris, and if someone brings up Hyundai, just ask them to stick to the topic and move on?

And in the interests of full disclosure... did you buy your Yaris before or after the IIHS crash tests came out on the Yaris? And your Yaris has or does not have the side air bags and curtains?
    As long as you Hyundai people continue to come here and post false information about the Yaris, I will continue to prove you wrong.
    The "Hyundai person" you are talking about owned a Yaris, traded for a Hyundai and now happens to prefer the Hyundai in some ways. Is that a crime? But I agree those kinds of posts should be made in the appropriate comparision discussion.

So, anyway, when you bought your Yaris, were the IIHS crash test scores out yet, and did you get one with the optional side bags/curtains that allow the Yaris to get a Good vs. Poor score on the IIHS side crash test? I figure the answer to both questions must be "yes" based on your earlier post.
    If you traded your Yaris, why are you still here?