Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• dakedake Member Posts: 131
    Heh heh, someone's sarcasm detector is on the fritz. The " :D " is a laughing car, it denotes a statement said with a smile - no need to get hot. On a side note, you can set the forum software to not send you an email every time a response is made should you so desire; you'll still be able to see what's new when you log in.

Anyhoo, no, I don't really care about DRL's. I'm glad my car doesn't have them, but I wouldn't have not bought it if it did. I think you're pretty much spot on with your overall assessment. My only real gripe with Toyotas are the random little things they seem to not do that are standard on most other cars. I think Toyota knows they can get away with it, b/c they're great cars otherwise. My particular peccadillo is variable speed intermittent wipers - but I've beat that dead horse enough.

The good news is, before I swapped out wiper controls, I also had a switch I could move whenever I needed to. :)
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    Speaking of wasting people's time, there are plenty of more important things that you can criticize the Yaris for than lack DRL's and cupholders. Lack of cruise control, lack of 60/40 fold flat rear seats, and lack of side impact airbags come to mind; but the bottom line is these cars are flying off the dealers lots so fast that they are not even advertised because they get the highest mpg's per dollar of any car on the market and they have the Toyota symbol on the front of the car. If you decide not to buy one, that just leaves someone else happy that they didn't have to wait as long to get theirs.

P.S. Get the chip off your shoulder.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    I don't care how many have sold because the only sale that's important is the one to ME. I'll "criticize" the Yaris, or to use terms I prefer, point out design flaws that others might want to know about, if I darn well please. Furthermore, if you take the time to go to toyota.com, the things you mention are all available options, if you want to get up off the money to get them, and the 60/40 seats are standard. These things are options, not design flaws.

P.S., Practice what you preach and mind your own business.
    I apologize. I suppose when it comes to sarcasm, my detector is always on the fritz. I just don't see the need for it, and I don't visit forums enough to know what all the symbols mean, although I have used a couple. I thought you were trying to discredit my experiences and observations with the car after I've lived with it for a week, and interpreted your response as needless rudeness. Sorry.

To each their own about the DRLs, but I believe people should know, in case they buy a sedan thinking it'll be equipped the same as the hatchback, when it's not! I realize, too, that Yaris was designed to be a teenager or young adult's first car, and that's why it's so basic - they like to tear things apart and modify them anyway! But anyway, the information's there now, and if a grownup decides to buy it anyway, they can't say they weren't made aware!

Speaking of mods, perhaps this cupholder/DRL debacle is an opportunity for somebody enterprising enough to come up with some aftermarket solutions to a real problem for an otherwise very good little car.

By the way, I totally understand about the wipers - unfortunately, it didn't rain once the whole time I had the car, so I couldn't really judge those.
    I sure wish that I had the benefit of your vast knowledge of the Toyota Yaris based on a one week rental before I threw my money away on my first Yaris in April of 2006. Do you think I can find some fool (after all, there's one born every minute) to take this poorly designed piece of junk off my hands?
  • highmiler650highmiler650 Member Posts: 75
    What mileage? How much do you want for it?
    Just kidding. I am in Canada and I will buy a 2009 Yaris soon. (After 180 k with a 2001 Echo, average 41 MPG and ZERO problems).
  • ttaittai Member Posts: 114
    I have a hatch with 60/40 fold flat seats, cruise control, and crank windows. I haven't checked my mileage for a while, but I'm spending $20/week on gas (mostly city miles). I think the cup holders are brilliant. It keeps my drinks cold in the summer.
  • boris13boris13 Member Posts: 80
    Haven't posted here for awhile, but I, too, have a '07 hatchback, Mine is meteorite metallic, manual trans, with 60/40 fold-flat rear seat, power package, fog lights, DRLs, dealer-installed cruise control, ABS, side airbags, alloy wheels, and a Toyota accessory rear anti-sway bar. (Yes, the rare "loaded" Yaris!) I also love the cupholders. They don't unduly block air to the driver and passenger and do heat/cool drinks as needed. The AC and heat are both very effective in this small vehicle. With 23,000 miles and counting on the odometer, I'm getting 41-43 mpg in highway driving and about 32-34 mpg in the city. Mixed city/highway (read: typical suburban) driving yields about 35-36 mpg. The worst-ever mpg I've gotten was 30. NO problems whatsoever. Everything works the way it's supposed to. Nothing has fallen off, no plastic warpage, etc. It took me about 10 minutes to get used to the center-mounted speedo. It is simply a great, well designed, good riding little car. I took it from Michigan to Florida and back on a trip recently and was perfectly comfortable (I am 5'10" and 180 lbs.). It's all about low total cost of operation. I cannot believe what a value this cool car is! :shades:
    I don't know - advertise and find out...
    I was hoping you were going to say that you were going to take off my hands for me.
    No violence, it's not worth it. And please, no more debate - not worth it either. Just take the information or leave it, and keep your hands.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I just saw that for 2009, the Yaris will get ABS and 6 airbags standard. That is great news. Also, the new 5-door will start at only $13.3k with automatic. Here's some info and photos:

http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2009-yaris_5-door/

IMO the 5-door is easily the best looking of the Yaris family. If they could just move those gauges to where God intended gauges to be, it would be getting close to perfect. ;)
    Ooooh, me likey!

Hah, take that Canada! Now we have the 5 door Yaris too! Next - cheap drugs! :D:D
  • boris13boris13 Member Posts: 80
    Well, I don't like four-door ("5-door," same thing) cars. The looks put me off. Rear doors on each side scream "family load" to me. Stodgy. Can't have that; I want clean styling lines along with my 40 mpg. So, I certainly hope they continue to offer the "3-door" hatchback by the time I'm ready for my second new Yaris in 2013. ;)
    well, those of us who actually have "family loads" appreciate the two extra doors. :)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    The extra doors make it easier to throw bags in the back, especially when you don't want to be opening and closing your trunk in a bad neighborhood. For example, I put my jiu jitsu bag in the trunk when I go to work, park in the safe work parking structure, when I leave I pull the bag out and throw it in the back, which is easy with 4 doors.

But very hard with two.

Putting the bag on the front seat isn't very good, it activates the airbags. Or a warning message.

Likewise when doing a lot of Target or Ikea or grocery shopping, the trunk on my Yaris would fill up quick, and then it would be a challenge to put stuff in the back seat area.

4 doors rule.

Even without "family" to load. And, yes, I have family to load, too.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter with a large national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who purchased a small, fuel-efficient vehicle in the past couple of months. If you are new small fuel-efficient vehicle owner, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Thursday, August 21st.
  • falkofalko Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my Yaris S week before last. It had to be ordered and it took 3 months to get it from Japan. Bought it from a dealership that is 110 miles from our home and the drive back was an eccexellent opportunity to really test drive it. Have'nt had so much fun driving since my Alfa-Romeo 12 years ago. Had it for 11 years. Refilled the gas tank yesterday for the 1st time. Got 38.33 mpg. Mostly highway driving. Will continue to monitor the mileage.
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    I went to your link that you supplied. Nowhere in the Toyota USA press release do I see that heatable outside mirrors would be made available. Either as an option or standard. I do believe that for the 2009 model year, Toyota Canada is making them available on the sedan, and hatchback versions at certain trim levels. But for the USA version, a big questionmark. This could be added as part of the weatherguard package. Much like what Toyota did for the '09 Corolla in the USA.
    Yes, the 5 door hatch is "big news," and yes, the addition of side and head curtain air bags is nice. But the lack of stability control and lack of heated mirrors is a deal breaker for me. What am I going to do with extra airbags that I will likely never use? ABS, stability control and heatable outside mirrors are something I am more likely to use during the course of the seasons.
    Out of curiosity where are you in the US?

Heated mirrors are nice, but how often do they really get used either - a couple months out of the year and even then not every day? Then again, I can definitely see them as being one of those things that once you've had them, you'd hate to go without.

As for stability control? On a Yaris? It's front wheel drive and a blistering 106 horsepower. I suppose it's subject to throttle understeer, but that's a lot of engineering for a car that shouldn't really need it; in all fairness I prefer to turn off stability control on cars that have it, the computer doesn't always know better.

I wholeheartedly agree that ABS should be standard on everything nowadays though. It's a bummer it still has to be selected as an option (even if it's seems to be included with the most common packages).

The usage issue for side airbags though is not that you'll use them all the time, it's that you'll wish you had them if you need them. ;) I'm glad to see those coming standard now.
    It's a bummer it [ABS] still has to be selected as an option...

Not any more! :D
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    Dake, I reside in western NY state, near the Great Lakes. Winters are long, and frequent storms bring snow and ice. Even as late as May, a frost can occur
    and frost up windows and mirrors. Just west of me, lie Ontario province. There, the small cars including the 2009 Yaris and 2009 Honda Fit, will offer this feature in some trim levels. They are not allowed to sell to a U.S. resident if sold new. Only if sold as a used vehicle. The weather or climate is no different here than Ontario Canada. Yet
    the US importer chooses not to even offer the feature as an option. Very frustrating,
    and "free trade" as we know it when it comes to importing a Canadian spec vehicle
    is a joke. It doesn't exist, unless one is prepared to jump through big hoops.
    I realize that this feature may not be needed in all sections of the U.S. Especially in the arid desert regions. But it doesn't stop VW, or Suzuki, or Volvo, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes from equipping their vehicles. Prices are higher, true. I guess its my "pet peeve." Another one? Stability control, or the lack of. I realize its a light car, but its also going to be law soon for every car. The phase-in period is already underway, but it won't be until 2012 that every car and light truck must have the feature.
    Guess I'll keep looking or just cave in and buy the 5 door Yaris or Fit, as is.
  • djsyndromedjsyndrome Member Posts: 4
    I was getting the oil changed in my Matrix yesterday and picked up an '09 Yaris brochure. No mention of heated mirrors as either standard or optional.
  • ajb8ajb8 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my '07 Yaris, 5 spd. for 15 months and 33,000 miles. I do like the car, but now seem to be having problems. The idling seems too low and seems to idle rough at times, especially when it's colder outside, but dealer can't find any problem. Starter sticks in "on" position occassionally, but dealer can't find any problem. Also, had an oil leak recently repaired. I guess it was transmission oil. They had the car for 4 days and repaired the leak, but now the clutch all of a sudden feels weird and not like it used to.
    Has anyone else experienced any of these problems with the Yaris. I've always had good luck with toyota cars and trucks in the past, but I'm worried about this car.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    My Yaris has always idled a little rough when the engine cold light is still on.

I have owned an 07 5speed for about 23 months and 35,000 miles and have had no issues with the starter, leaks, low idle, or clutch. No problems of any kind to date.
  • nomenome Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Yaris since July 2006. I have over 61,000 miles on it. Knock on wood, I have had no problems. I couldn't be more pleased with the car. I was shocked to see the 09 Yaris gets worse gas mileage at 29/36. What's up with that?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I know the EPA changed the way they figure the numbers and they've been revised down a bit for most vehicles. I'm not sure if they've changed the test to take ethanol into account either, but you can read about the negative effects of ethanol blends on mileage in The Inconvenient Truth About Ethanol
  • highmiler650highmiler650 Member Posts: 75
    Nothing has really changed. The engine and transmission are still the same.
    It is just a different way of calculating MPG by the EPA.
  • CARPLUVCARPLUV Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: My company Car is a 2007 Yaris. I have driven over 75,000 miles in this car mostly in the midwest. All of my dummy lights went on recently. I went to a Toyota dealer to get the codes and find out what the problem was. Well It is a ESB , something to do with the fuel delivery system. Fuel filler, Charcoal canister ( about 900.00 dollars worth) There is a Technical Service Bulletin Directly related to theses codes- authorizing repair. I went to the dealer in Wisconsin that our company purchased other cars ,trucks and a Lexus. They contacted Toyota and the factory is unwilling to cover or even partially participate in this ridiculously expensive repair. Rather surprising that a very dependable manufacture, and large dealer is not interested in happy customers. Are there any other drivers out there driving Hi Mileage Yaris vehicles that can relate?
    Unfortunately, those kind of parts are not covered under the 8 year, 80,000 mile emissions warranty. But one option is to check salvage yards for the pricey parts like the charcoal canister. See this article for example:

http://www.startribune.com/business/27547769.html
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Member Posts: 66
    The paint on my daughter's 2007 red Yaris has completely dis :lemon: integrated in large sections of the front bumper and hood of the vehicle. It is actually down to the primer. The car is 2 years old and still under warranty and I am about to take it back to the dealer. Has anyone had a similar problem with the paint ? I can understand chips in the paint from normal driving but this is unbelievable.It is the whole front of the car. You can actually peel the paint off with your hand.
    Man, that's crazy! Red used to be the worst color for Toyotas back in the 80's models for that reason, but I haven't seen that happen in a long time. Definitely take it back to the dealer - sounds like they skipped a step. :surprise:
  • hoodyhoody Member Posts: 25
    OK just picked up this 09 5 door tonight, I drove it a few times in the last 3 days along with the scion Xd. I decided the Yaris was the better deal for the wife as a small commuter.I decided the old Chrysler T&C had given her enough headache's. Also there was no 1000K rebate on the scion and it was almost 2K more. for what a 1.8 instead of the 1.5?, this 1.5 seems to be just fine by the way. Besides they don't budge at all on the scion sticker.

This thing has all the options I guess they could stick on, I didn't need most, but so be it, It has, FE,CP,CL,KE,PQ,CF, and this DK, some useless owners portfolio.

I ended up after a day's worth of back and forth at 14,588. +tax, lic and processing.

Processing fee was $459.00, tax was 481.41 , some lic fee 39.50, title fee 10.00, and some silly 10.00 called "online systems filing fee"?.

So after all that it came to: $15,587.91 out the door. (incl the 1000 rebate)

I only managed to get them to throw in the cruse and the floor mats, as the sticker said 16,345.000 they went to $15,988.00, than took the 1000K rebate off, to 14,988, at that time I said i don't need cruse and not gona pay 150.00 for mats, they took 250 off for the cruse and 150 for the mats to end up at the $14,588
    ( :confuse: before all the usual BS)

I gave em 3K and still owe 12,587.91 to pay off next week. I guess I made about as good a deal as anyone else here in southern VA at Priority Toyota.

So now I have this and a 05 Corolla LE.
    Question:

Doesn't this thing have a auto dome light that comes on when you open the doors?

I have 2 lights on the upper part of the front dome, but they seem to only be able to turn on manual by pushing them. I can see no way to make a light turn on when you open the door.

There's no switch on the lights either, they only turn on by pushing them.

This is weird, every car I ever seen has a dome light that turns on when you open the door.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Not sure what model you have, but on my 2007 Sedan, you just switch the setting on the dome light to door and it comes on when the door is open just like every other car I have owned.
    Its the 5 dr hatchback 2009 (see my post just above here)

hmmmm well I don't see any "setting" on the 2 dome lights. Its just the 2 lights that you can press to turn on.

This is crazy, every car even my old VW beetle had lights that turn on when you open the door.
    And the owner's manual doesn't shed any light on this? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Have you checked the switch that controls dash illumination? On many cars it also controls the dome light on/off.
    yup read the manual before posting, smirks

shows a switch to use to set it to door, but there's NO switch on my dome lights.

As for the dash illum, it ONLY controls the speedo intensity light.

No sweat, I'm gona go to the dealer Monday and raise hell with them about it.
    Just a thought... the dealer didn't design the car and didn't write the owner's manual. They are not responsible for causing this problem. So rather than "raise hell" with them, maybe a simple, good-natured, polite question would be in order? You may have a long relationship with the dealer's service department; I've found that these folks tend to be more helpful and responsive when I treat them as I would like to be treated.
    Ok so wait. This:

is the dome light on an '08 Yaris with a little switch on it. This is different and completely separate from the two reader lights up by the rear-view mirror (the ones you push in). Yours is different? Weird...
    HY man, well all is OK,

smirks the picture was some help. However the problem was kinda my own fault, rof, I guess I wasn't able to bend my head back far enough with the head rest to even notice that "OTHER" light with that switch hahaha, man I feel kinda silly, but better than having gone to the dealer and finding out lol :)

Now all is well with this little run about, I like it even though I bought it for the wife to use around local driving. I like it more than my 05 corolla LE lol even with the smaller 1.5. It handles fine and has all the pickup it needs. I also got what I think was a pretty good deal :)

This is the end of this light deal , smirks..........:) :)
  • ozziejattozziejatt Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris 5 door automatic. What i have experienced is the gear shifting take little while of drive after 60 when you start driving cold car (no matter summer winter if you start car and run engine couple of minutes)
    So after the speed reaches above 60 and goes all the way upto 80-85 i feel like it needs gear and is not shifting however after few minutes of drive it starts shifting gear at 60.
    Any one encountered this issue or if this is an issue really. I spoke to one guy at toyota dealership he sent me back saying the car runs on O/D for sometime.
  • paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    Yaris and other newer Toyota's have a start system which once you switch the key to start it will continue to crank until it starts even if you release the key from the start position . Works well imo .
    When you first start the car, look in the left corner of the instrument cluster. You'll see a small blue light shaped like a thermometer is illuminated which means the engine is cold. The car will not shift into it's final gear until that light extinguishes. This is intentional, as driving in the lower gear at higher RPMs helps the engine to warm up a little faster and is most likely set up for emissions reasons.

It's not a particularly good idea to run any car up to 80+ mph while the engine's still cold even if you have a manual and can upshift. I guess eventually you'll hit a rev limiter on the automatic.

It usually doesn't take more than a minute or two for the blue light to go off, allowing the transmission to shift into overdrive. You must live right off the highway!
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Also make sure that the "overdrive off" button on the side of the automatic shift lever is in the right place. When I test drove a Yaris LB neither the salesman nor I realized the button was locking out the shift to 4th, and we were puzzled by the high freeway rpm until we figured out what was going on.

As to the "no shift to 4th until warmed up" that's pretty amazing. Are you sure of that? Of course the Yaris warms up so darn fast even though we live right near the freeway, my Yaris (which was a stick shift) always turned off the "blue" light before I got on the on-ramp.

BTW, the blue light going off, doesn't mean the car is at full operating temperature, only that it is out of the critical "be extra cautious" zone. The way I interpreted the blue light was that while it was on, drive easier than normal, after it goes off drive normal, but give it a few miles after that before driving aggressively (more than 3/4 throttle).
    I don't know about the 08 LB, but our automatic sedan doesn't have an overdrive button. It's a gated shifter. It is easy to accidentally shift to drive and slide over to the left and have it in 3rd if you don't verify the shift lever position on the instruments. That happened the first time we test drove it.

For the no shift to fourth, I've obviously never tested it to the rev limiter. I do know it will keep it held down though up to 45 or 50 mph at least. Maybe it will force the shift above a certain RPM regardless of engine temp - but if that guy's post is correct, it sounds like it doesn't.
    Thanks to you all to reply and sort out the gear shifiting problem i encounter -
    Well i will try to locate that blue light on the intrument tomorrow as suggested but dont have overdrive button on my 08 haychback.

I have tested driving upto 80km/h speed and RPM's goes as high as 3500 but gear doesnt shift and minimum amount of RPM's is no question here as no way RPM should go that high.

Anyway going to look for that blue light on instruments tomorrow ;-)
    Oh, heh heh... I didn't realize you said 80 kilometers per hour! So that's only about 45'ish in mph? Yeah, that's normal then if it is indeed the temperature thing.
    man only a little over a month since I bought my Yaris with a 1000K rebate, they are offering now 1500. Oh well what can you do, lol
    So just worked on Dake's advise to look at thermostat like icon (green in colour) once it disappears the gear shifts. Tested it my issue resolved ;-)

Thanks