Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    I suspect the '10 Yaris should be in dealers by late September...I DO know that the 2010 Nissan Versa will start to bloom in dealerships, so to speak, by the end of this month (August)...and I doubt Toyota would want that Nissan have too much of a headstart with new '10 product, if you get my drift.

Peace!<-AladdinSane-< :shades: -
  • ynot2ynot2 Member Posts: 1
    My son has a 2007 Yaris. In February he wrecked it, he barrel rolled it three times. Thank god he was alright. After he came to rest he had told me that he put the car in park and turned it off. All four doors still open and close as if nothing happened. The air bags didn't even go off. With that being said...
    The transmission was replaced shortly before the accident, it might have 450 miles on it. Now, I have someone taking it apart for me. Is there anyone out there interested in parts. He's not out to get rich, just out to help others and maybe get enough to buy another.
  • ttaittai Member Posts: 114
    I traded my Yaris in for a Lexus. I got $10,000 for a 2007 with crank windows. Resale is awesome. Got a good deal for the Lexus too. The Toyota dealership ran out of Yaris's and wanted my car badly. I miss my Yaris. I still can see its cute headlights looking up at me saying, "Why daddy, why?" *sniff* Daddy got a high maintenance girlfriend. I'm sorry Yaris. :cry:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You did very, very well. KBB for a trade-in for a Yaris 5-speed with crank windows in my area is about $7700 in excellent condition, with average mileage. Retail is just over $11k. So even at $10k for your trade, they'll make some money on selling it.
  • roxy11roxy11 Member Posts: 27
    im not at all surprised. i bought my 2007 yaris hatch (5 speed with manual windows) for $12200 in june 2007. in august 2008, with 21,000 miles on it, i got $11,100 for it on trade...and this was on a new car that i got at $100 over invoice.

the yaris gets great mileage and is cheap to own. with an economy in the dumps, the yaris has some leverage. everyone i know on YW who has traded a yaris fared much better than KBB numbers.
    KBB just makes up numbers. I never go by them. I go by what people are selling the cars for on Craigslist. The dealers know that too.
    How can private party sales on Craigslist give you the trade-in values for a car? :confuse:
    How can a bird fly when it flap its wings- Witchcraft.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I put more value in KBB numbers for used rigs than Craiglist and all of it's no-shows, misrepresentations and over-charges. It doesn't have what you might call a sterling clean reputation. KBB has a much better rep.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    The 2010 Yaris is now in stock at 2 of the 3 Memphis dealers.
  • wipers123wipers123 Member Posts: 3
    I found an alternative to going to the dealer for the special rear wiper blade on the yaris . Its a "Trico Exact Fit Rear Integral Blade" that snaps right onto the special rear arm and looks just the factory original - wipers123 online has them. They come with easy directions to pop the old one off and the new one on. It kind of appears like you have to replace the whole arm but take a closer look - basically they swap-out easy (like the front wipers). No need to get abused at the dealership...
    Looks like Yaris owners have survived the latest round of Toyota bashing. I knew that the fact that it was built in Japan was a good thing, just not this good.
    Well, the Prius is made in Japan also...

Maybe Toyota should take the accelerator design from the Yaris and put it on ALL of its vehicles.
    I didn't realize that the Prius had the braking problem, but it seems pretty well documented on the Prius forum for the past several years. Even without the brake problem, the Prius didn't seem like it was worth the extra money over the Yaris to pick the extra 5 or so miles per gallon.
    Unless the Yaris with AT can average about 55 mpg in mixed real-world driving, which is what R&T recently found in real-world tests in and around L.A., there's quite a bit more FE advantage to the Prius over the Yaris. (Note they also found the new Fiesta 1.6 with a stick could average just under 41 mpg under the same conditions; that seems more in the ballpark for the Yaris.)
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    edited February 2010
    R&T's numbers are way out there when compared to most of the other tests. Consumer Reports has (44 overall for the Prius and 53 on their 150 mile test) with the Yaris having (32 overall with 40 on the 150 mile test). I agree that a mpg difference of 5 is too small but 20 is crazy except in pure urban situations.

Over 100,000 miles at $4 a gallon, the Prius would save $2400-3400 based on CR's numbers. From a pure economic standpoint, it is impossible to justify the $8000 to $18,000 difference between models. One has to decide if the better features, ride, etc. are worth the $4500 to $15500 difference over those 100,000 miles.
    So R&T found a 14 mpg difference, in SoCal conditions, between the 2010 Prius and stick Fiesta, and CR found a 12 mpg difference between the previous-gen Prius and the Yaris. Since the Fiesta and Yaris are different cars (albeit fairly close in size and in engine displacement), and the 2010 Prius gets slightly better FE than the previous gen model, I think those results are actually pretty darn close. Also, CR's test facility is in New York, and we don't know that the Yaris and Prius were tested on the same day, in the same weather, as R&T did with the Prius and Fiesta.

If the size of the Yaris meets someone's needs, then I agree it isn't financially justifiable to go with a Prius unless perhaps someone is looking at a loaded Yaris that is around $17k compared to a base Prius around $22k (might cost a lot less in the near future though ;) ), and drives a lot of miles in city/suburban areas where the Prius does especially well in FE.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I had seen where you asked if a Yaris could get 55 mpg after lhanson had said there was a 5 mpg difference between the Yaris and Prius. Since you had quoted R&T, I had assumed you meant they averaged 60 in real world driving with the Prius which is pretty extreme. I can understand an 8 to 13 difference easily. CR is actually conservative at times with their numbers.

I have 60k miles on my Yaris Sedan with a manual and have average about 38 or so without a conservative style of driving. I think the worst tank I have ever gotten was 35 with the best around 42 so I have not seen much variation.

I agree with your cost and driving environment analysis. I am hoping when I replace my Yaris there are a few choices of a small direct injection engine (as in like a 1.2 with 110-130hp that gets better gas mileage than the Yaris).

Is the reason you think a Prius might be less in the future the reputation problem Toyota has, or is it something else?
    Overall perception of Toyota including the Prius (braking software issue) not real good right now, might depress prices for awhile.
    Let's hope so, I may be in the market for anther Toyota shortly. By the way, I have had 3 different Yarii over the past 4 years. I have never had the first problem with any of them; even with my kids driving them. According to the records I have kept at www.fueleconomy.gov since I purchased my current car 3 years, I have averaged 36.4 MPG with 73% Stop & Go driving in my 2007 hatchback AT. I notice that Toyota is also talking about extending the warranty period, I imagine that would be for new car sales only so as not to anger those who paid the extra bucks for an extended warranty.
    edited February 2010
    Face-off Nissan Versa vs. Toyota Yaris
    The swankier Nissan outscores the spartan Toyota
    Another bashing from Consumer Reports even though they admit that predicted reliability for Nissan Versa sedan is much below average while the Toyota Yaris sedan is much above average and the MPG is 32 to 27 in the Yaris favor. They also point out that ESC is standard in the Yaris and optional in the Versa. The Yaris also has a folding rear seat for carrying larger items that the Versa lacks. Obviously the Versa is far superior to the Yaris.
    Well, CR did point out some areas in which they thought the Versa is superior to the Yaris. In the end, they didn't recommend either car.
    They did recommend the Versa Hatchback, which is apparently much different from the Versa Sedan, at least in their opinion. The Yaris hatchback and sedan are essentially the same car as far as I can see.
    The 2010 Toyota Yaris is designed to fit in and stand out.

The economy car segment is thriving; why, just look at the 2010 Yaris. Toyota&#146;s mighty subcompact is built with enough style, safety and substance to place it squarely atop the burgeoning economy class.

In three distinct body styles, the 2010 Yaris is the model of versatility. With three- or five-door liftbacks as well as a sedan trim to sift through, Toyota&#146;s smallest entry brings a healthy dose of real-world flexibility to a class of vehicles often devoid of it. In short (all puns aside), it&#146;s built to fit your life and, quite frankly, most tight spaces.

With its newest iteration, Toyota injects some bold, aerodynamic styling into the subcompact culture. Lines bubble and flow across the Yaris&#146; attractive body; its beautifully curving hood and narrow black mesh grill are accompanied by sleek multi-reflector halogens and a set of available fog lamps. In addition to available 15-inch alloy wheels, all models offer an optional Sport Package, which integrates the dynamic athleticism of color-keyed spoilers and paneling onto the Yaris canvas.

Yaris&#146; standard engine is a spirited and efficient 1.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder. With the economical precision of intelligent variable valve technology, Toyota&#146;s powerplant generates 106 hp and 103 lb/ft of torque, more than enough for exciting, enjoyable acceleration and high-end speed. A five-speed manual transmission (with overdrive) comes standard, while an advanced four-speed electronically controlled automatic is available (standard on some models).

Handling on the newest Yaris is, as you&#146;d imagine, quite nimble and lively. The subcompact&#146;s size and balance allow for impressive responsiveness, which is enhanced by a precise electronic power steering system as well as a smooth, independent MacPherson strut front and torsion beam rear suspension setup. Lightweight and brilliantly tuned, the 2010 Yaris achieves up to a remarkable 36 highway miles per gallon.

Perhaps in spite of its compact nature, the interior of the new Yaris is surprisingly spacious and versatile. The cabin itself is sleek and modern; the dash&#146;s gauges and controls spill down an attractive center stack to the gearshift and center console below, while available aluminum trim complements the modern, bolstered sport seats that accompany the Sport Package. Available 60/40-split rear seats fold down, unlocking over 25 cubic feet of versatile cargo space (and nearly 13 cubic feet in sedan models).

The Yaris&#146; unique stack houses the vehicle&#146;s climate controls (including those of the standard air conditioner), as well as the available CD/MP3 stereo (with easy iPod integration). For enhanced comfort and convenience, the steering wheel and shift knob feature available leather trimming, while intuitive storage options are located throughout the cabin.

All 2010 Yaris models come standard with a vast array of intelligent safety features, including advanced three-point safety belts, and front, side and side-curtain airbags. Body paneling, door beams and the vehicle&#146;s very frame have been engineered to better withstand impact, and Toyota&#146;s Star Safety System, with standard stability control, traction control and antilock brakes, has been implemented to help prevent collisions in the first place.

Filled with big features, Toyota&#146;s compact 2010 Yaris sports an equally compact price; the newest Yaris features a starting MSRP of just $12,605.
  • regal5regal5 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone else have run away acceleration with the 2009 Yaris?
    Did you write this yourself? If so, nice job! If not, it is customary to note the source.
    edited May 2010
    No, it was straight out of a Toyota e-mail from Performance Toyota in Memphis, Tennesse, United States of America, Panel Earth. I didn't think they would mind, sorry if I have offended anyone.
    I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with run away acceleration in a Yaris. Have you?
  • dakedake Member Posts: 131
    No, b/c the Yaris is 100% Japanese. The vehicles that had the gas pedal issues were made with outsourced parts in other countries (in our case mostly US).
  • rslykrslyk Member Posts: 3
    There is a defect in the 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 dr Hatchback... If your vin#
    is below jtdjt9#3*75126293 Toyota discovered the defect and changed
    the product after that vin#. It is not a safety issue... but sooner or later
    will cause a failure that will cost $1200 to repair. If during warranty period
    Toyota will cover it but not after warranty expires....Relace the $25 worth of
    parts before a very costly repair occurs.
    Would you please correct the shift key error in the VIN number and elaborate on what the problem is? I think it may apply to my car if you substituted # for 3.
  • boris13boris13 Member Posts: 80
    I'd like to know what this defect is. My VIN comes before the change, so I suppose it should be looked at.
    edited June 2010
    Edmunds has a list of tsb's for this car, as well as, all others I presume. TSB E048-07 is not listed. I am beginning to have my doubts about the veracity ot this post. It is noted that the TSB number was lifted from another website and is attributed to a poster that goes by the same ID.
  • dakedake Member Posts: 131
    edited July 2010
    Yeah - HERE are all the TSBs for the '07 Yaris. That number doesn't appear to match anything it doesn't even seem to be a correct TSB format.

edit: it didn't actually link to the correct page, but you can search there for them.
  • johna8johna8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a used 2007 Yaris (2dr, automatic, 22k miles, red) from a private party. When I take it to a mechanic to get it checked out, are there things I should ask him/her to check on specifically? I'm a bit of a car idiot, so any help is appreciated.

I've read here that the red paint might be an issue, so that's one thing. Anything else, other than the standard check-up?

Thank you!
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    Sometimes the condition of the brakes and tires will be an indication of how the car was driven. This is a light car, and driven gently, the brakes and tires should have very little wear. If you're waiting during the inspection, ask the mechanic to show you the brakes and anything that might need attention. I would ask him to look specifically for any evidence of accident damage.

Good luck!
  • johna8johna8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, but I guess what I'm asking is if there are any things specific to a Yaris that I should ask the mechanic to take a look at. (That is, things that deserve more attention when buying a used Yaris than when buying any other used car.)
    I would go along with morin2 on this. If the car has not been abused it should be ok. I have not had the first problem with my 2007 Yaris hatchback with 24000 miles on it. Also maybe check for evidence of oil changes at proper intervals.
  • boydfooseboydfoose Member Posts: 2
    The Toyota Yaris is the best compact car I've ever seen in Toyota's production, it's like the mini cooper of Japan especially when bolted with toyota parts and accessories like this one.

• regal5regal5 Member Posts: 4
    How are the Axels (cv joints) holding up on these? When I heard the price for replacement axels I nearly choked. Going from a 93 civic where parts costs were so cheap it was rediculous, I am concerned that the aftermarket replacement parts won't be there in 5 years when I start needing them.

The TRD suspension is a must IMO, the stock suspension is good for bouncing along straight roads, the TRD transforms the whole car. I actually ran off the road twice cause the stock suspension was so soft. With the TRD it is planted solid thru turns.

Those are my only two isses after 1.5 years of ownership.
  • mckulley1mckulley1 Member Posts: 1
    If you own a TOYOTA, please watch this video.

Toyota Yaris Crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D80aC8g9mI
    How fast was he driving when the crash occurred? It looks like he was saved because front end provided adequate protection by collapsing as designed to protect the passenger compartment. What are the statistics reqarding air bags not deploying as designed? Was the driver DUI? Tell us the whole story. If he was DUI driving 100 MPH, none of this would have happened if the airbag had deployed?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    My 2010 Versa was totaled about three weeks ago when my wife stopped for a car that had stopped for deer crossing the road, but the F-150 coming up behind didn't, driving the Versa into the car in front. The Versa turned a bit so the right front hit the left rear of the car in front and the right front was obliterated. The entire car was bent as you could see by the driver's seat no longer lining up with the passenger seat. No airbags deployed, my wife wasn't even bruised. The design of the car did its job in protecting the occupants. The fact that airbags don't deploy in a crash is not necessarily a defect.
  • girlcarbuildergirlcarbuilder Member Posts: 225
    Both of these cars are now at 30K miles. The '09 is a 3 door hatchback while the '10 is a 5 door hatchback. Both units have the same driveline that we purchase. 5 speed standard, and the 1.6 liter engine. For those who do not know, this engine does not have a timing belt, but rather a timing chain. Which lasts longer and holds up better if you behave on the gas!

They say no news is good news and basically that is what I have, but I would not be fair in supplying feedback to others like me who depend on good feedback to make good buying decisions. So here it is:

Only basic maintainance has been required to date, exceptions to be noted on 2010.

Materials currently under long term testing:
    Silicone spray on cv boots and steering rack boots. Slime in one tire. The silicone spray is suppose to help the rubber boots last longer. It has proven to do so in MO on the Subaru's up there. Slime is a tire sealant which I started using on an otherwise trash tire with only 5k miles on it. Puncture within an inch from sidewall. Holds air very nicely, 15K service so far. Not bad for no patch!

All maintenance performed at my shop except alignments.

On 2009 two rims where changed to 14" Yaris rims with tires at the same height as the 15" tires. This was done at 5K miles because of tire damage. It has proven past experience that tire size does matter on mpg. 2009 still comes in with a mpg about 2-3 mpg's higher than 2010. Toyo tires in use there. Excellent tire for traction.

Other than that, still 5k oil changes, cabin air filter changes and washing.

On the 2010, this car was purchased at auction and required work on it to make it legal for road use again. What was done to it had nothing to do with normal wear and tear.

If you have kids or travel a lot, I would buy the 5 door. The 3 door is still good for long trips with two people, but the split rear seat is a bit more flexible in the 5 door.

Miles per gallon have ranged from 36 all the way up to 45. The 45 mpg comes in on the Natchez Trace Parkway on the 2009 with a speed limit of 50 mph. The 36 mpg tends to be when the lousy gas is being sold to us on the 2010....like now. 38-42 mpg is more common. Combination of city and highway, mostly city.
    edited December 2011
    If you are wearing a seatbeat, then most of the time, the airbags are not suppose to deploy. That is why they are called smart air bags. I am glad to see this, because air bags can injure you when they deploy. Not to mention the dust up your nose that some of us can not tolerate well. This system has only been out the past few years.

The seatbelt is still the best and primary restraint system in a car. If I had my choice, I would have a 4 point non retractable system. Just too lazy to convert my newer cars!

Sorry, PF, this was not for you. Info for the previous poster.

Josephia
    I have looked at your u tube video. Toyota is correct, those side air bags are not suppose to deploy. The sensor for them is in the driver side door pillar, not in the front. I see no impact damage on that location.

I also have factory service manuals for our units and that confirms the design. Given this is a 2500 lb car with driver in it, he faired very well! I am assuming a glancing blow of about 40-50 mph. If the hit had been further back and involved the front part of the greenhouse, you might not even be talking to him. Count your blessings that physics was on your side, this time. I have seen much worse in the junk yards and the auction block!

girlcarbuilder
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I crawled around a 2010 Yaris 2 door and a 2012 Yaris LE 2 door this week. I was pretty impressed with both. Some things I observed:
    1. why did Toyota abandon the idea of having the rear seat headrests slide down into the seat back like the old version? Seems like a no cost addition and a no brainer for a small car.
    2. does it really cost money to add telescoping steering? Really?
    3. I really like where the B-pilar is on the 2 door. It helps with lane changes.
    4. It looks like the engines are the exact same. Did they do anything on the tranmission on the newest version?
    5.I really like the phone/bluetooth in the LE and SE. Seems though like they should have put some buttons on the steering wheel. I'm not sure how it works; just that it is in the LE and SE models. Perhaps it is voice activated somehow?
    2. does it really cost money to add telescoping steering? Really?

Of course it does... more complex steering assembly, more parts. Not sure how much more it costs but it definitely costs more. That's why you don't see it on low-end cars like the Yaris. Would be nice if it were an option though. But it would cost less to just put it on all of them.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    We would have to check the ratios to be positive, but I'm fairly sure the engines and transmissions are identical on the 2012 and the earlier generation

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• brianenobrianeno Member Posts: 1
    Very oddball move IMO. What do you think about this? I couldn't copy and paste the article, but here check out the exact details.. Would love to hear opinions on this :)

link title