Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• poorjuddpoorjudd Member Posts: 32
    It will be called Yaris, it is on the website and has been for a few months. Go to the Yaris sight for the US and click on configure your Yaris which is on the top right.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I believe that most people have confirmed that the US-market Yaris will be three-door hatchback and four-door sedan only. It will be powered by a 1.5-liter VVT-i I-4 engine rated at 108 bhp (SAE 08/04 net), and will offer five-speed manual and four-speed automatic transmissions (though I hope Toyota offers the CVT automatic found on the JDM Vitz as an option).

I think Toyota is aiming five-door hatchback buyers to the Scion xA and xB models, though I think the current xA could be replaced by a new model based on the Toyota Ractis "tall wagon" that just started sales in Japan a few days ago.
    Here is Canadian Pricing

Yaris will be sold in both 3- and 5-door models, and come in three trim
    levels including CE, LE, and the sporty RS grade. Manufacturer's Suggested
    Retail (MSRP) price for the 3-door Yaris with manual transmission will start
    at just $13,580 for the CE trim level, $14,175 for the Yaris LE, and $16,880
    for the 3-door Yaris RS. MSRP for the 5-door Yaris LE will be $14,910; at the
    RS trim level, pricing will start at $17,615.
  • mikecaponemikecapone Member Posts: 47
    Argh! No mention of side airbags in the Newswire page either..

Come on. Why the hell would they no make side airbags available in Canada?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I'll give you one guess why they might not offer side airbags on the Canadian (and American-imported Yaris' for that matter) Yaris'. Money! They're trying to hold the line on consumer...I... mean their own production costs on this baby. Even though many of us would gladly pay for the extra protection on small rigs like these, eh? :D

OK, I think I've got the picture for American Echo's...ooops...I mean American Yaris' now. It will be called Yaris, and we'll get the 3-door and 4-door sedan. I will target the 4-door sedan and the fact that side airbags are not offered will not deter my interest at all. Judging by those Canadian Yaris prices above the price point for America for a well-equipped 5-speed 4-door Yaris should be in the $13,999 range, give or take a whisker or a hair each way. Very good to hear.

BTW-if the 4-door American Yaris in 5-speeds, well-equipped, were to cost $14,499, I'd still go test drive one. If it pops up to around $15,000, I'll look back at a Scion xA with interest. I think this thing is starting to form into some kind of shape :) .

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Whoa! $18K is a 75K-mile 3-series - you are buying just in time for all those German engineering problems to start - German parts are expensive. All the best miles are off the car by that point. Between that and a brand new sporty Yaris RS (with admittedly low power, but great fuel economy) I would take the Toyota. But to each his own, certainly. And I DO have a hatchback bias! :-)

All the trims over $15K should have curtain airbags and ABS, though.

Leather has been an option for a couple of years now in the Corolla. I wonder if they would do a factory leather option in a Yaris RS. Not that I would want that.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I disagree. It should all be an option. Especially things like curtain airbags that 99% of people will never even use.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You can bet the U.S. Yaris will have SABs and SACs available, if not standard. I doubt the car could get decent marks on side crash tests w/o them. Also they are increasingly common in this class, e.g. Fit, Accent, and Rio at minimum will all have SABs and SACs standard by early next year.
    99% of all people don't use fire insurance on their homes, either, but I wouldn't want to be without it.
    I like to think that at 75k, all the major problems have already been found and the car is catching its second wind. :)
    most regulars on Edmunds already know that I'm on my 2nd Kia in a row since 1999 and that I'll probably get another Kia next, anyway.

For one thing, like backy has mentioned, Kia is already offering side airbags standard on all of it's new Spectra models. And if I recall correctly, the new 2006 Rio may have them, too, although not standard like on the new Spectra's.

Toyota should probably match up-and-comer Kia and offer SAB's standard and also offer side curtains standard by the time the 2008 Echo/Yaris/Vitz' hit the production lines. Eh?

When is Canada's Tragically Hip gonna hit the road and tour again, too? That is some real news that I could really use.

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I see you are the eternal optimist! :-)

At 75K, all the expensive stuff is just giving up the ghost for the first time in the BMW, including some super-expensive Bosch electricals that your mechanic won't even be able to FIND! :-P

poorjudd: beating everything in your class for crash protection is a powerful thing to be able to put in your ads, and that WON'T happen these days without having side curtains and SAB for side impacts. I am more ambivalent about the ABS, but I think most buyers think it should be part of a standard safety equipment complement. And, as pointed out, Honda can do it profitably in the Fit, and Hyundai can do it in the Accent. Why can't Toyota do it in the Yaris?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

iluv, side bags AND curtains are standard on the '06 Rio, Accent, and also the Fit when it arrives (Honda has stated all their cars will have side bags, curtains, and ABS--ABS standard on Accent also). So the Yaris will be at a major disadvantage in safety if side bags/curtains/ABS are not available or are even optional.
    I guess I'll just have to stick with those cheap little cars then, until my kids have all left home and I have lots of money to throw out the window on Bimmer repairs. ;)
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    I'll be EXTREMELY disappointed if all they offer is the 3 and 4 door models in the US. Wouldn't this be the same mistake they made with the Echo? I'd be interested in a 5 door and a 5 door alone.

I can understand why someone would buy the cheaper 3 door models, but I just don't understand paying Corolla money for a smaller, weaker 4 door sedan that gets essentially the same MPG (both in EPA estimates and real world testing most likely, if the numbers being thrown around here are true). IMO - There's no way this Yaris is going to get Echo-like real world MPG numbers with the size and weight increase it's seeing.

Can someone explain the benefits of buying the 4 door Yaris over a Corolla, if that is indeed what they decide to bring to the US?
    Like, I mean, it's cooler, man??
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I agree about the 5 door. If there is no 5 door, and the Honda Fit has one then the choice between the two will be easy. The 4 door sedan as the only choice for a small car model in the US is over, and Honda and Toyota need to get with it.
    If SABs and SCBs are not availably on the Yaris in Canada, I might go with the Fit instead. It has the CVT, probably better fuel economy and probably better safety. I just hope it's released in Canada by next spring.
    pick the Toyota Yaris over the Toyota Corolla if they were priced similarly and offered similar equipment (including safety equipment) would be the far better looks of the Yaris, man. :D

Right, backy? I mean, duh!

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I believe that even the $9995 Chevy Aveo Value Package gets SABs for 2006. If I were Toyota, I would find a way to make this feature standard. They don't need another Echo fiasco, where they are selling $13K vehicles without basic stuff that competitors have. As for the stuff about the 5-door hatch, remember that the Scion xA is a 5-door hatch that sells for around $13K at Toyota dealers. They do not want so much overlap. In fact, I find it a little odd that Toyota's US Yaris site seems to be aimed at young people. I thought the strategy was that young people would be ushered toward Scion, while the little old ladies who need to get to the Shop Rite every weekend would buy a Yaris.

-Andrew L
    of high-anxiety about ghastly prices the Toyota Yaris is being aimed at a general market. Or, even if Toyota is aiming towards the younger crowd, I think that a lot of boomers will pursue the Yaris for it's good looks and great ghastly mileage.

Also, many people will still not trust Kia, Hyundai or Suzuki, but they will trust old buddies Honda or Toyota, so, the Yaris is a leg up to start with this demographic.

Being so good for so long does have its benefits in the continuity of sales department.

information right here on Edmunds' Inside Line. The 2007 Toyota Yaris will have ample safety features, including side-impact airbags, ABS with BrakeAssist, side curtain airbags, and even a driver's knee airbag. Whether all models will offer all of these safety features would be still in doubt, though. I just can't see them offering all these on every model and door configuration and option package, including the base model, can you'all? The Yaris will also offer an impressive 25 cubic feet of storage space.

The Yaris motor will be small, four-cylinders, very economical of fuel and lacking in passing power. Yeah, most all of us already knew that one. Did everybody know that Toyota was going with the xA's center-mounted instrument panel that will allow space for three separate glove compartments on the dash, along with Smart Entry and push-button Start systems?

Could this all be true? A truckload of safety features like the afore-mentioned ones for one sub-$15,000 price? The list above I found here on Edmunds Inside Line includes everything we've been talking about and were wondering if Toyota was gonna carry on the 2007 Toyota Yaris. This makes waiting for the upcoming Auto Show even more difficult! :cry:

The question is, which features will be standard, or optional, in which countries?

Also you have to take the info on future cars on Inside Line, or any of these kinds of sources, with a grain of salt. They aren't always accurate (e.g. their prognostications on the "all new" 2006 Hyundai Elantra, due this fall, which as we now know won't be all new until the 2007 model year in the fall of 2006).
    Actually, the Toyota Yaris won't be that slow, given that the vehicle will use a 1.5-liter VVT-i I-4 engine rated at 108 bhp (SAE 08/04 net). With the relatively low weight of the Yaris, the car could sport a 0-60 time of under 10 seconds fairly easily. I'm hoping that Toyota offers a CVT on the Yaris, especially the four-door sedan version that the USA market will get. :)
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    SAB and SCB are options. Apples to apples with Honda and Nissan and its almost the same price.
    Not quite--SABs and SACs will be standard on the Fit, at least in the U.S. I don't know about the baggie plans for the Versa.
    I'm gonna go with the guess that SAB's and side curtains will be standard in the 2007 Toyota Yaris. The thing is with me is that all I really feel that I would need with the 2007 Toyota Yaris would be old-school front seat bags for both people. Really. But if they're gonna be standard, then great. Would I bother ordering them if they are indeed options for the initial American-version Yaris? No, I wouldn't bother.

I'd want a 5-speed with A/C, power W/D/M's, great stereo and quite possibly Orange Copper Mica color that we've discussed of late in here. Not to exceed $14,500. Anybody have a net link to that color that they can pop in here for everyone reading that really wants to know what it looks like but acts like I'm the one being lazy for not spending 4 hours looking for it?

• gwidogwido Member Posts: 25
    Here it is, taken from the Toyota Canada website:
    Is anyone else thinking, "There should be a big key sticking out the back of this thing?" :) It is incredibly cute, though. Probably be very popular with young women.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    You can see the little Nissan Versa over in the Nissan Versa forum.
    The Versa looks worse than the Yaris.
    Eye of the beholder. I think the Versa is much better looking than the Yaris, if more conservative.
    SAB & CAB are options on most of the Toyota line, I highly doubt they would be standard on the least expensive car Toyota sells.

They should all be options, all this safety stuff adds weight, and at 2300 lbs, the Yaris isn't exactly a light car. The Echo weighed about 2100.
    Just like what I said if you optioned out SAB and SCB on the Yaris the price wiill almost be the same as compared to Fit/Jazz or versa.
    I agree. The Versa looks good.
  • carmen1carmen1 Member Posts: 19
    I've ordered the 3-door 2006 Yaris LE according to the 2005 pamplet. This offered 4-speakers (CE has 2), front and rear splash guards (CE has none), rear wipers (CE has none) and power steering (CE has manual.)

My question is, if the 2006 CE comes standard with rear wipers, are there options in the 2006 LE's that I'm not aware of? Most important for me was the power steering and rear wipers. If these come standard with CE then I'm switching.

What is the difference between CE and LE for 2005 and 2006?

I'm looking at the lowest cost with power steering and rear wipers.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm talking Canada.
  • swngswng Member Posts: 15
    I have seen some relevant news about the pricing and equipment packages in respect of the 2006 Yaris in Canada at www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/October2005/06/c8272.html.
    "SAB and SCB are options. Apples to apples with Honda and Nissan and its almost the same price."

In the US, apparently, but on Toyota Canada's website there is no mention of the side airbags, and in recent news from Canada, no mention either.

If it is true that side and curtain airbags are not offered in Canada, that's almost enough to make me go for the Honda Fit.
  • dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    Who said the Yaris will only appeal to young women? I'd get one for the fuel economy, functionality and practicality, and performance, yes I find it much more pleasant to boot around a small car with a stick shift. I got an old 85 Civic with only 76 HP that I still like to drive, and it has adequate passing power. And why Yaris over Corolla? The cool factor. If Corolla's more to your liking then you'll obviously never be persauded to "step down" to an Echo. And keep in mind that Corolla's extra power is offset by the extra weight. The new Yaris probably has the same comfort as the Corolla but in a small car format which has proven very popular in Canada, Asia, and Europe. Will Americans always be conditioned to think bigger is better??? It's a shame.
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    i think more americans would be receptive to the echo like our canadian neighbors are if it didn't have such a weak air conditioning system.
    anyone living in the south where the temperature and humidity go into the 90's and in the south west where 100+ is common, an echo is a nightmare.
    the yaris is a lot more pleasing to look at, but it's just an echo in a new body.
    no matter how economical and reliable the echo is, it will soon wear thin on anyone that needs a good air conditioner.
    this is why the corolla is so popular... you won't melt while driving it.
    the yaris is a lot more pleasing to look at, but it's just an echo in a new body.
    no matter how economical and reliable the echo is, it will soon wear thin on anyone that needs a good air conditioner.

The drivetrain might be a carryover from the Echo but the Yaris is an all-new design that owes nothing to the old Echo. I'm sure that Toyota has done high-temperature testing to ensure the air conditioner this time around will actually work correctly. :)
    raychuang00. It wasn't making much sense to me that the Yaris would have a weak air conditioner. I'm heading to an area where the average July temp.'s are gonna be 67 degrees, so a weak A/C could have been dealt with, but I still couldn't buy that one, that Toyota would build the Yaris with a bad air conditioner.

For everybody's information that doesn't know, also, the Scion xA is plopped on top of Yaris underpinnings. What is gonna be fun is seeing the 2007 Scion xA's new design. If Scion decides to keep it. The 2006 Scion xA is built on the Yaris' chassis and Scion slightly changes it's bodywork in the front and back, with stereo controls on the steering wheel, too, IIRC, with a possible other change here or there, nothing too much to speak of. Minor changes for 2006, but 2007 is supposed to be a new xA design. Fun-fun-fun! :D:D

Who said the Yaris will only appeal to young women?

I don't think anyone said that. I did comment that I thought the CE 3-door was cute and might appeal to young women--I didn't say the Yaris would only appeal to young women. I had the '85 Civic with 76 hp also, 5-speed, and it was fun to drive. The Yaris 3-door reminds me a bit of that car. I still have the brochure from the '85 Civic--and it features a smiling young woman at the wheel, on the cover. :)
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Which is most likely to get the best real world M.P.G. in the U.S.?
  • dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    Bad A/C? I wouldn't know about that but we Canadians can attest that the heating in the Echo worked just fine. :) Here in Vancouver there are probably only five days a year where rolling down the window doesn't help cool anyone down, so we're lucky here. Torontonians might tell a different story.

Also the Versa... ew... Nissan continues the design of placing fat butts on their cars, first the Quest, then the Maxima, now this. Do the French (Renault designers) have an obsession with big butts??
    you said "I'm sure that Toyota has done high-temperature testing to ensure the air conditioner this time around will actually work correctly".
    what makes you so sure? they allowed the echo run around the united states with bad air conditioning for years, why do you think this will change?
    no matter how different the yaris is, it still has the same 108hp engine that won't turn an air conditioner enough to cool down a car on a hot day.
    you can come back and tell me i'm wrong again, but you have nothing to base your statement on.
    what i'm saying about the echo is a fact. you're statement about the yaris is only a hunch.
    "it still has the same 108hp engine that won't turn an air conditioner enough to cool down a car on a hot day."

Do you really think that 108hp is not enough to power an air conditioner or did you just word that badly?
    not being very mechanical, i may have wrongly assumed that small hp engines can't run an air conditioner efficiently. all i know is toyota was aware of the problem after the first year the echo was built and never corrected it.
    i based my assumption on the fact that most small 4cyl engines under 110hp have the same problem.
    if i'm wrong, enlighten me.
  • carmen1carmen1 Member Posts: 19
    I tried the site recommended to view pricing and options and it is not for public viewing.

But I did see the first advertisement reading that the 2006 Toyota's will be coming soon.

oooooooh, the waiting....
  • swngswng Member Posts: 15
    I have just tried it again and it worked for me. Anyway I am glad that you seem to have found the information you wanted. Just hope that the car is worth the long wait.
  • mosquitomosquito Member Posts: 1
    I was told my Yaris will be in on Oct 17th.
    I should have it by the 19th.
    The first thing I will check is the temp of the A/C