Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I'm sure that's not the price Toyota would set though- they could probably get $15,500 for a Yaris.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I completely agree with you. I have a feeling a Yaris LE 4 door with Convenience Pkg and Side Curtains will be about $15,500, or $1000 more than the Accent.

~alpha
  • Hard to say...in Canada the base Accent and base Yaris are priced essentially the same. But yes, dress them up with the option packages and the Hyundais usually end up a bit cheaper. Your estimate of $1000 difference for a popularly equipped Yaris vs. Accent may turn out to be pretty accurate for the U.S. market.

That said, I would still probably pay the $1000 difference and get the Toyota. Hyundai has made huge improvements in quality, and the 2006 Accent has got some pretty good press, BUT the Yaris design is more cutting edge, and the reliability and long term driveability will likely turn out to be bulletproof.

And a final note....in terms of resale value, the minute you drive it off the lot, you'll be happy you bought the Toy vs. the Hyundai. The Echo hatches in Canada have retained their value VERY strongly. The Accent... well, fair or unfair, you can pick up a used Accent for a song.

Barnee
    I think that I would pay $15,500 for such a car- after all, the Civic is $18,000ish nowadays.

But if I wait a year or two for prices to come down, I may be able to snatch one at invoice + $500ish.
  • The Edmunds piece on the Yaris sedan and hatchback made me wonder about something

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=108501#18

Will that version of the sedan come out in Canada in april 2006 too? Here we already have the Yaris hatchback, but the sedan is still the previous generation Echo.

Anybody know when we will get the new generation?
  • Maybe I'll have to wait until the Yaris comes out to get a definitive answer to this question, but exactly how is the Yaris appreciably different than the current Scion xA? We have a 2004 xA and everything I've seen and read about the Yaris is very reminiscent of the Scion. From what I understand, the Yaris will share the xA's existing drivetrain, they are virtually the same size inside and out, and the Yaris even has the center-mounted instrument cluster. Sure, it wears a different skin and the interior photos look a little more upscale, but exactly what's the difference!?! Even the expected price is virtually identical to the xA. What am I missing?
    the Scion only comes with a black interior, while I'm hoping that you can get a Yaris with a lighter interior.

the Scion has no haggle pricing while the price of a Yaris is subject to negotiation.

the xA is a five door hatchback. The Yaris comes in either a 3 door hatchback or a sedan.

Otherwise, the Yaris is basically the xA repackaged. :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Isn't the Yaris sedan bigger (wheelbase, back seat room) etc. than the xA? That's the impression I got from looking at specs and reading reviews. Also the luggage space of the Yaris (back seat up) seems much bigger than that on the xA. The Yaris sedan IMO also seems to have a more refined interior than the xA.
  • The Yaris also has better fuel economy than the Scion, AFAIK. Probably has mostly to do with the gearing of the transmission.
  • doubledouble Posts: 44
    Also a lot more aerodynamic than a 2 piece box. :shades:
  • The Yaris is basically much more refined than the xA. I've test driven the xA and had a hands on the Yaris, and must say I prefer the Yaris.
    Final drive ratio is more acceptable for a highway drive technically and anecdotally speaking, there's more rear leg room, engine controls are more advanced, etc., etc. Face it, the xA is a 4-5 year old design, and it's starting to show it's age.
    If importing a 5-door from Canada wasn't such a pain, I'd already have a Yaris. Here's hoping the give us the 5-door in the Fall, as some have suggested.
  • hb1hb1 Posts: 3
    OK, I'll be the one to enter post number 666 since no one else seems to want to.
    I've owned a 1981 Starlet and a 1997 Tercel and I can't wait until I can get rid of my current car (2002 Suzuki Aerio SX) so I can buy a new Yaris 3 door liftback. It'll be as close to my old Starlet as I can possibly find. I had that car for 18 years and 205,000 miles. Hopefully my new Yaris will last as long.
  • The people from the US who have an eye on the Yaris should probably also check out the Honda Fit. It is coming to the US next spring.
    Also the Accent (like the Yaris, offered as a 4-door and 3-door in the U.S. by spring), Rio (4-door and 5-door), and Versa (5-door in spring, 4-door later in 2006). Soon there will be all kinds of good small car choices in the U.S. and Canada!
  • Saw the article about the Sedan, WOW. The dash is cool. I also like the two tone interior, the rear center armrest and it has a decent trunk.

I thought about of getting a Camry (sometime in the future), but this is a nice alternative.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Is not the Fit going to be significantly smaller than the Yaris sedan? I believe I recall reading the Fit will be about 155 inches, whereas the Yaris Sedan stretches 169. Its a good deal longer than the previous ECHO sedan...

~alpha
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Yaris Picture

Yaris appears "fast" in the picture link.

Nice.
  • doubledouble Posts: 44
    RS model with ground effects. Gearing etc is all the same no matter what model. CE, LE, RS. :D
  • That's not the new 2006/2007 Yaris. That's the previous Echo 3-door Echo Hatch, which was sold under the name "Yaris" in Europe.

The new Yaris has completely different body work. You can see pics of the new Yaris on the Toyota sites. It's already being sold in Canada, here's a couple links to test-drive articles with pics.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/06yaris2.htm

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/06yaris.htm
  • I think the echo replacement looks awesome and is expected to have great mpg (34/40). However, the instrument cluster in the center of the dash really kills it for me. I hate it on the Mini, and Scions. Does anybody feel the same way? Does anybody know if that will change in production?
    I loathe those center-mounted gauges too (having a weak right eye is part of it). Don't count on it changing for production, it's become a trademark (and a great way to cut costs) for the Echo/Yaris. But if the rest of the car is really great, at a good price, I can learn to live with it.
  • I like so many would love to have a five door Yaris. Unfortunately Toyota will only be giving us the four door sedan. People who want a baby camry will like it.(boring imo) . I found the body to be one click above a snooze. The interior in the four door looks to much like an Echo for my taste. Also it does not have the cool cubbie holes and extra bins that the three door has. That said, for people like me the three door is the only option other then a Rio or Versa which Do offer a five door option. I do like the three door a lot. The dash is much better looking imo than the sedan. My only complaint is the up scale look is ruined by the cheap speedo and fuel gauge. Why did we not get the European set up? Toyota? Are you listening? Nah, I didnt think so. Also what is up with no cruise control on the hatch? Luckily there are good aftermarket companies that make units. As much as I like Toyota quality I'm not sure I would give up the utility of a five door. I will have to see what the Fit looks like when it gets here.
  • HEY TOYOTA, Why does Canada get the nice gauge pack in the hatch and we get a single cheap looking speedo? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Hollywood extra i find is usually a load of crap.
    However, they are about to release a 1.8 yaris in japan, 2ZZ engine 180 - 190 hp......AWD as well ,kinda heavy at ~1100 kg (IMO), but you guys wish you'd be able to get it in the states.
    ">

As a matter of fact, I would'nt rule it out though, as i've read rumors of TRD considering developing a vehicle program like ford's SVT. They already have the awesome TRD Tacoma concept pickup, but it's reported that they dont want to launch with one vehicle.... Yaris TRD anybody?
  • "Is not the Fit going to be significantly smaller than the Yaris sedan?"

The US-market Fit will be a 5-door hatchback, not a 4-door sedan. It is very close in length to the Yaris 5-door that will not be sold in the US! :confuse:

There is a 4-door Fit called the Fit Aria, Fit Saloon, or City depending on the region. It is considerably longer than the Fit 5-door and comparable in size to the Yaris 4-door sedan.
  • carmen1carmen1 Posts: 19
    #%&*@%^#$%^ My Yaris got a major hit and run after two month of owning it. Some idiot rammed the passenger door while getting out of the Maple and Broadway liquor store parking lot, even though it was fairly empty on a 11pm night! Me thinks it was a drunk driver. :mad: :cry: :sick:

The seal has been compromised and it's raining a heck of a lot in Vancouver. I'm planning to take the car to an authorized Toyota garage in Burnaby and hope they give me a courtesy car as I don't have the "special" insurance that allows me a courtesy car at other ICBC approved garages.

Has anyone in Vancouver have good experiences getting their Toyota fixed there or any other place?

Forwarning about the Maple and Broadway (IGA / Liquor Store) parking lot. Many staff members and customers have had their cars dinged in this lot due to the idiot drivers.

So far no complaints about the car except that it was once zero degrees one morning and the car took a little extra longer to crank start. I thought this was strange as it is a new car and zero degrees is not all that cold.

Also, I still can figure how to take out the crank from the back of the driver seat. I think this is a dumb place to put it as there is a lot of space in the trunk. During emergencies I don't want to go all over the car looking for the crank when it should be with all the other equipment in the trunk. :confuse:
  • The executives at Toyota realize with increased gas prices in the United States, people will be buying smaller vehicles. The Yaris has been a proven winner for Toyota worldwide and with its US entry, will fill another niche that US manufacturers seem to ignore!
  • Just wondering if anyone has heard if the iPod accessory is a good option in the new Canadian Yaris. I think the iPod adapter works only in the MP3-capable stereo systems (RS model 6-disc stereo and upgraded 1-disc MP3 stereo in the LE). I wrote Toyota and they said that you can control the iPod and charge it when you attach to the stereo system. Has anybody purchased it? At close to $400, it's a very expensive option.