Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vehicle Sales Tax Questions

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Is your car registered in your home state, now? Do you have the title and registration?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    car is registered and i have the registration.. not the title as its held by honda finance... but i could pay it off tomorrow if i needed to.

ms
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    To offer much help you would have to explain and give us numbers - what they charged, what you paid, how they figured sales tax, etc. Did you trade in a car that you owned, owed money on (financed), or leased? What state are you in and does your state give a tax break when trading cars? Mine does, so if they gave you $10k for your trade toward a $30k new car, then you only owe tax on $20k (as long as the trade was owned by you). What state did you buy the car in? What is your tax rate and their tax rate? What is their tax trade in policy?

Buying out of state can be tricky if the dealer is not near the border and used to doing your state's taxes. Maybe they gave you their state's tax break and your state does not have one? Maybe they paid at the wrong rate?

It could be they made an honest mistake and you really due owe them money. It could be that they are crooks and you don't owe them anything. It could be they are wrong NOW in asking for more money.

If we figure out how the taxes should have been done then we compare with what they did,and then we find the error. It appears they overpaid your taxes to your state since they seem to want you to go get a check from your DMV. What they paid should be shown on your registration and given your state's rate we can figure out if that was the right amount or not (once we have the other numbers).

The UCS-124 thing implies a small claims court. It could be a bluff or could be legit and failure to respond (state your case) in court to lead to a finding that you owe the money.

Is the amout there are asking for exactly $1,000? If so, then they probably had a finger check on their adding machine or something. If they did overpay (in you name) to the DMV then you COULD present your evidence of the over pay to the DMV and they should refund you the difference.

So what I would do is figure out what happened and then work from there. If they charged you too little that is one thing, but if they just paid too much tax or something that is on them. Once you know what happened then perhaps consult an attorney have them send a letter to the dealership outlining the error your found in their figures and that you do not plan (assuming their error) to pay them anything else

BTW, I alway re-do all the dealer's numbers myself before I sign anything - no matter if it purchase or lease. If I can't see where every penny goes then I don't sign until I do. They could still pay the wrong amount in taxes later, but the right amount is on my paperwork.
    John and kyfdx both gave good answers, but I will toss in the questions "What state do you live in?" and "What state was the original lease (assume TX)?". I (and most everyone else) lives in a state that charges tax on the payment. So *I* would be afraid if I assumed a TX lease (tax rolled into payment already) that the lease bank would ask me to pay assumed payment + my state's tax. Assume one from another tax on payment state is easier, you would take the base payment they pay (w/o tax) and add your tax to it to get your payment.

In any case, I think full sales tax would be due if you buy the car at lease end. Even if the original lessee paid full tax on it in TX at time of lease.
    If that's the case, then you are most likely straight with the taxing authorities, and the only issue is between you and the dealer. At least, that simplifies things, and decreases any leverage they might have over you.

Where I live, the neighboring state is only 3 miles away, and that's where I buy/lease most of my cars.. Those dealers are very familiar with transferring titles to the neighboring state, etc.... and, not very likely to make a major mistake on taxation between the states. (basically, I don't pay the tax over there, but in my home state... no credits against tax paid elsewhere).

However, if I were to travel to another state, not contiguous to mine, then those dealers might not be so savvy. I wouldn't automatically assume they are trying to screw you. It's possible they didn't know the exact tax law, or didn't calculate it correctly. It's also possible they assumed you would get a credit for taxes paid in their state, but that isn't so. Or, it's possible they paid tax for you in their state that shouldn't have been paid, at all.

Before I wrote them a check, I'd want to know exactly what was paid, what is still due, and the logic behind it. If they simply miscalculated the tax, and you paid less than what you should have, then you'll probably have to pay it. If they paid tax to the wrong state, assuming reciprocity, when they shouldn't have, then they should get it back, or eat it..

Knowing the two states involved would help..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thank you all for the suggestions.. I called the dealer today.. they are looking into it.. I went back to look at the paperwork its seems the dealer told the dmv the full price for the car and not the difference in NEW minus Trade-- thus causing the tax problem... the dealer pays the dmv directly and I only paid the difference so that is where the dealer is coming up with the loss.. I paid the correct amount of total taxes but due to dealer error they paid the dmv the incorrect amount and want me now to make up the difference. I guess it also does not help that the dealer and my DMV are in 2 different state bought car in NY and registered in MA.

thanks again
    That helps.

Even though the dealer paid MA for your tax, they can't get a refund if they overpaid since it is in your name. Look on your registration it should show the amount paid to title and register the car. That should be too high by the amount of ((new - trade) * MA tax rate) and should also the same amount the dealer is asking about. If this is correct, then you could take your paperwork to the DMV along with your registration and show them the error and apply for a refund of the over payment. If you get it, then it is up to you if you want to return it to the dealer. I would, but I would have them pay me for the trouble to fix their mistake.

Looks like MA tax is 6.25%? o your trade was worth $16k?
    you are correct that the amount they are asking for is the difference from the amount of tax they charged me (diff between new car and trade in) from the actual amount they paid the dmv.

onto the DMV, if i get it..what if i dont get it? I dont believe it should be on me to go to the DMV and figure out a dealer mistake-but to get this off my plate I would do it....and have no problem paying the correct tax (thats to you uncle sam) but double tax is a joke and the dealer should of figured this out-- its been over 3 months..
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,381
    unless I am missing something, it sounds 100% like a dealer error, and there issue is with the DMV, not with you. so if they want a refund, then need to get it from the state (good luck with that!)

If you paid the correct amount in the first place, you should be out of the picture.

say they screwed up and paid too much to pay off your trade. Should you be on the hook to mkae up the error, or the finance company? Same situation here.

I would write a nice letter, documenting the numbers, and politely tell them to take up their problem with the DMV. Or take it out of the paycheck of whichever clerk screwed up in the first place.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Since you traded the car out-of-state, you may not be eligible for the reduction for trade-in. I don't know MA tax rules, but that would be the case in my state..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If show the DMV that the tax was overpayed on your behalf they should give you a refund. if they don't, ask them to docment wyhy not and pass a copy along to the dealer (keep original for yourself) and tell them you tried. If you get the money, ask the dealer to repay you for your time and trouble on their mistake.
    I have not heard of that before. I am not sure if it matters here, but it could matter to MA and they paid the correct out (but charged the buyer too little).
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Buying a vehicle in outside of your state of residence can be a nightmare! There are 50 states and (at least) 50 specific sales tax laws regarding sales to non-residents.

Most of the laws are NOT in favor of the non-resident buyer! They want to collect their tax up front and, if you're lucky, you may get credit for some/all of it in another state??? Very confusing to say the least!

I'm a Georgia resident but I have purchased my last two cars from a new car dealer in Tennessee. TN makes it easy- if a non-resident purchases a vehicle and will be removing it from the state within three days, the dealer collects $0 sales tax. Then it's all up to the buyer and the state where he registers it. In my case, I had to visit the regional Georgia DOR office with my Bill of Sale showing the NET price. The county I live pays 6% sales tax, so I had to pay 6% of the net vehicle price!

I had no trade, just some intense negotiating and a coupon from Mazda for $500 off the best deal I could negotiate. The bottom line (NET) total ended up at $16,250, so the 6% tax was $975. I wrote the DOR a check for $975 and they gave me a receipt so I could a get a new tag and register the car....

It was easy with TN and GA, but most state-to-state sales can be a major pain! Go
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    It is fairly easy in Washington state. I've bought a couple of vehicles in Oregon. They have no sales tax and don't charge you anything. You just pay the tax when you register the car in Washington.
    will keep you up as info comes in .. but still its an issue
    From the chart here at this link both MA and NY allow the tax break on a trade. It does not say if they allow the break to out of state trades or not. Here in TN they do no care where the trade comes from, if you title the new / replacement car in TN you get the tax break. Read PDF here.
  • mitcharnomitcharno Member Posts: 13
    Hi all- I'm leasing the g37x, I currently have the g35. I'm leasing the car in Va and live in Md. Dealer tells me I have to pay 6.17% sales tax (Md is 6%) because I'm leasing in Va and live in Md.

Does this make sense? Has anyone heard of this? Txs!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Generally you pay taxes based on where you live (My store is in NJ but we sell lots of cars to NY and sometimes CT and PA).

The .17 strikes me as odd though, perhaps it's some sort of inventory tax of some sort? Here in Jersey even out of state customers pay the $1.50 per tire tire fee as an example.

For what it's worth, the .17% is 85c on a $500 payment.... If the deal makes sense I wouldn't have it be a deal breaker personally.
    Last time I checked, both VA and MD charge tax on the full price of the car - not just the payments like most states. VA also charges personal property tax on lease vehicles.

I have done many out of state leases and I always pay the tax rate in my home state - never in the state where the dealership is located. It could be different up there, but I would think the dealer could do the same thing. While most states give you credit for taxes paid to another state, I would not want to risk having my home state come after me for taxes in addition to ones already paid out of state.

Check with other dealers in VA and see what they say, or lease from another state, or lease from a MD dealership. I leased my G37 coupe from Harper in Knoxville, TN and could not have been happier with the deal ($0 dealer doc fee, no MF mark up on the lease). Let me know if you need contact info.
  • ang4200ang4200 Member Posts: 2
    Did they actually tell you 6.17% or did they do some reverse mathematics based on a tax dollar amount calculated by their system? Its possible that they included other taxable items in the tax calcuation, such as a dealer processing fee, resulting in a higher tax dollar amount.
    The 6% due to Maryland, however, is based on the Full Purchase Price or Gross Capitalized Cost of the vehicle, regardless of the payments made during the term or other items being charged in the lease. The only time the motor vehicle tax is collected in VA is when the application for Title is made, so in this case, since you are registering and titling in Maryland, there should not be any sales tax due to VA.
    VA does have some sort of 0.17% tax for vehicles, on top of their 3% sales tax.. It is possible (as alluded to above) that it is some sort of inventory tax, that could be charged to any purchaser, regardless of residence.

I don't know that for sure, but it would make sense in this case. For the sales tax, you'd definitely pay your home state tax, and not where you bought it (ergo, the 6% for Maryland).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rjb080774rjb080774 Member Posts: 1
    I am thining of assuming a lease that is currently owned by someone in CT. I am wondering about the taxes I will have ot pay once I register the cal in NJ. I am being told many things. Either a) that they will just charge 7% on top of the motnhly payment. or b), that I have to pay 7% of the total outstanding payments on the lease term - UPFRONT, or c) 7% of the total lien amount outstanding - UPFRONT.

Can anyone help clarify? Thanks.
  • markagmarkag Member Posts: 3
    I live in tazewell county Illinois and I'm looking to purchase a vehicle after the 1st of the year. I'm looking for a specific used vehicle, and as of right now, there are a few I'm interested in up in the chicago area, as well as some just north of there in Wisconsin.

Chicago and it's surrounding areas all have much higher sales tax then the county I live in. I don't know what Wisconsin has for sales tax. My question is, if I buy a car from the chicago area, will I be charged sales tax from the county I purchase the vehicle in, or from the county that I live in? If I were to get it from Wisconsin, how would the sales tax situation work out?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    In Illinois you pay the tax for the county you buy in, not the county you reside it. This was brought home to my wife & me in September when we were car shopping as we live in the western suburbs of Chicago and one dealer was touting that they had a lower sales tax than Cook & the collar counties.

If you buy in Wisconsin there are a couple of ways to do it. If the dealer does Illinois sales often enough they may be able to charge you Illinois sales tax (not sure what rate .. maybe just the base state rate or the rate for your county) and that's the end of it. Failing that, they will be legally obligated to charge you WI sales tax. You, in turn, when you register the car in Illinois will be obligated to pay IL sales tax (all at once). You should, though I'm not sure about WI law in this regard, then be able to file a claim with the WI DMV to have your WI tax refunded.

BTW, if you change your mind & buy new and buy this year, the sales tax is deductible on your income tax.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Thanks for the help. That is not what I was hoping to hear as Chicago area sales tax is 7.25% instead of 6.25% where I am currently living.

I am looking for a very specific car that is no longer in production, so I won't be buying new. I'm not going to be able to take advantage of it on my tax return, but that is fine with me.
    sorry for the double reply, but this has seemed to contradict other information I have been finding. I keep reading that you pay sales tax based on the location where you live, and not where you buy. Is that the case when buying within Illinois?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    From page 34 of http://tax.illinois.gov/Publications/Sales/STS76.PDF

The_tax_rate_the_dealer_is_required_to_collect_is_preprinted_in_Section_6,_
    Line_4._This_rate_is_based_on_the_registered_business_location_of_the_dealer_tha- t_is_preprinted_in_the_upper_left_portion_of_Form_ST-556.

Sorry for the icky cut-n-paste but note it mentions the address of the business, not the buyer.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • opita1opita1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new vehicle in Maricopa County, AZ

Assume the agreed upon price was $55K; the agreed on trade in price was $15k.
    Dealer calculated sales tax on new vehicle price. Shouldn't this tax be calculated on $40k instead?
    (new vehicle-trade in)
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    AZ is a trade in allowance state so you should only pay tax on the difference.

Did you buy or lease? Many states tax the entire value of the purchase when leasing.
  • tsxowwnertsxowwner Member Posts: 38
    I am coming off a lease and due to market conditions have equity in my car.

The lease agreement indicates my purchase price and then has the sentence. "the purchase option price does not include fees for tags, taxes or registration"

When I leased the vehicle, I did not pay tax up front, however I do pay tax each month along with my monthly payment. It makes sense to me that if i want to buy the car at the end of my lease, I would need to pay tax. this would be 6.25% of $16,000 or $1,000.

I also understand if I had originally purchased the car as opposed to leasing, I would have paid the tax up front so if I was trading it in, it would offset the new car price reducing my tax cost.

here is my question - if there is equity in the car and the dealership is buying the car, how does the tax work? Is tax payable and by whom?

For example, if they value my car at 18,000. Do I net $2,000 or am I only going to net $1,000. Is the answer different if I do the transaction to (a) reduce cap cost on my next lease or (b) take a check for the difference.

thanks
    In most states the title from a leased car can pass to the lessee (you) or a licensed dealer. So I could not buy your leased car - you can or you can sell / trade it to a dealer.

In most states, tax would be due if YOU purchased the car based on the buy out (at that time) price. In your example you used $16k - so that would be the taxable amount.

If a dealer buys your car, no tax is due (at this point) so if the dealer offered you $18k to buy / trade your car your net would be $2k and you could ask for a check or roll that into the next deal. I have found that Carmax offers as good / better money than local dealers if you have a clean, low mile, never wrecked car to get rid of. It is nice to car shop without a trade as well, makes things a lot simpler.

Always be sure you get the buyout price inclusive of any fees (disposal fee, etc) but excluding the taxes. This is the price a dealer would have to pay to buy the car, if you buy it you can simply add the tax to this amount yourself to figure the total. You do not need to wait until lease end either, at any point your car is worth more than the current buy out you can sell / trade and net the difference. At certain ages (like after the warranty expires) and certain mileages (like when major maintenance is due) the value can drop a good deal. Ditto market conditions like time of year (selling a convertible now, for example) and supply and demand can make not waiting until lease end a better option.

I have heard there are some lease banks that will not allow any 3rd party to buy their lease vehicles, you either buy it yourself or turn it in. These are rare, however.
  • tsxowwnertsxowwner Member Posts: 38
    thanks a lot for the info!
  • lovethedealslovethedeals Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new car. AK doesn't have a sales tax, but they do have overpriced cars for the car I am looking for :( I want to buy it ENROUTE to AK and then just register it in AK when I arrive. Anyone know if that is possible?

I would really like to use the new car to drive across the US but I heard there is some kind of stipulation that you would need to register the care within 10 days of purchasing. Is that correct? I really don't want to waste money on sales tax!

To make matters more complicated, I am trying to trade my current vehicle in for the new car (old vehicle is registered in Alabama). Thoughts?? :)
    Also, what is considered proof that you are "living" in another state? Is a bill good enough or do you have to have a state driver's license too?
    Did you ever get an answer on this? I am considering doing the same thing with a slight twist: I live in Alabma, want to buy a vehicle in TX, and within 20 days I will be registering it in Alaska. I have a friend in Alaska who will let me use his address for a bank statement or bill so that I don't pay the tax in TX
    """""Sales tax is owed and due to the state of which you are a resident at the time of the purchase. It has to be paid in order for the title to be issued by your residential state. The selling dealer is responsible for making sure that you get the title. """""

So how does the dealer "know" what state you are a resident of? It gets complicated: I have a driver's license, voting, and pay income taxes to CO (residency), but my current vehicle is registered and insured where I live now (Alabama). I am moving to AK and want to buy a car in Texas enroute, thus registering my new car in my new state, Alaska and changing EVERYTHING (voting, license, registration, etc). I am planning on trading my old car in at the Texas dealership. I already checked with AK and they won't charge me any tax on the vehicle, only registration. But how do I get the Texas dealer to let me out the door without paying any sales tax?
    I have purchased or leased from out of state dealers many times (though never from Texas) and I have never had to pay sales tax to the dealer. We pay tax when we title the car and get the tags. Any dealer used to selling to out of state folks should not try to collect any tax from you. It should not matter what state your ID shows as long as it is not Texas.
    So how does the dealer "know" what state you are a resident of? It gets complicated: I have a driver's license, voting, and pay income taxes to CO (residency), but my current vehicle is registered and insured where I live now (Alabama). I am moving to AK and want to buy a car in Texas enroute, thus registering my new car in my new state, Alaska and changing EVERYTHING (voting, license, registration, etc). I am planning on trading my old car in at the Texas dealership. I already checked with AK and they won't charge me any tax on the vehicle, only registration. But how do I get the Texas dealer to let me out the door without paying any sales tax?

Also, I will be financing the vehicle either through the dealership or through USAA. Please help!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,381
    most likely your driver's license is enough. Plus the registration is out of state. Pick one!

but as others noted, as long as you have proof you aren't a Tx resident,you should jsut be given an out of state transport/temp tag.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• cabanadancabanadan Member Posts: 3
    I live in NY, and am thinking of buying from a dealer in NJ. The dealer is saying that to obtain financing, I have to finance the purchase price plus NY sales tax, and the dealership will cut me a check for the sales tax so I can pay it myself.

The salesman is saying they won't get funding unless he can prove I paid the sales tax. I don't see how me paying additional interest and them cutting me a check helps prove anything.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    edited March 2012
    I've never heard of that.

And it is completely ridiculous because what if you wanted to pay a down payment? How would they work that out? It makes no sense.

I've only purchase one car out of state that I financed and that dealer (in PA) took the money I paid out of pocket for NJ sales tax and gave it to NJ themselves.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• zyaaaaazyaaaaa Member Posts: 36
    Florida offers a sales tax credit on the trade-in value when purchasing another vehicle. My question is - if the current vehicle is in my wife's name only and we trade it in for a new car that is only in my name, will we still get credit for the trade-in when the tax is calculated?
  • zyaaaaazyaaaaa Member Posts: 36
    I spoke to the DoR today. They told me that as long as the trade was part of the same transaction the value of the trade in is credited towards price for the sales tax calculation.
  • wwj1wwj1 Member Posts: 1
    Illinois vehicle sales tax is very confusing. Check this site for a pretty good overall answer for anyone in the Chicago area.

http://salestaxoncars.com/
  • doowledoowle Member Posts: 1
    Question from Auto Dealer point of view:
    Usually when we have an out of state resident purchase a car here in California, we deliver the vehicle outside of California on a one-trip permit. These out of state delivery sales are usually to residents of Arizona, Oregon, or Nevada. We collect no sales/use taxes, and the buyer has to pay sales/use tax in their resident state when they title the car there.

However, we have a lot of (non-cash) buyers asking how they can include the sales tax in the amount financed.
    We were talking about what if we were to give the people who live in states w/reciprocity one-trip permits (to avoid DMV registration fees becoming due) but did NOT deliver the vehicle outside CA, so CA sales tax would be due and could be included in the contract.
    Assuming they live in a state with reciprocity, when they title the vehicle in their home state they would then only have to pay the difference btw what is normally due in their state less whatever was paid in CA, is that correct?

And if so, what rate would we collect? Would we collect including the full county/city sales & use tax rate of where it was sold? Or....?
    I have done many out of state deals - as a purchaser or lessee. Often the dealer will write me a check to pay the taxes, sometimes they write a check to my DMV (those can be tricky to use), and my credit union sent me two checks - one to me for the taxes and one to the dealer. In all cases I handled the taxes and title myself. I guess a certain amount of trust is needed as in some cases I could have not done the title correctly. Often the MSO will already be filled out by the dealer (to limit mistakes or intentional changes). In all cases the dealer relied on my knowledge of my state and local rates and fees. If a customer does not know this info the I am not sure how they expect the out of state dealer to know it :)

Usually the bulk of the tax burden can be easily found so this large amount could be included in the deal, then let the customer worry about the smaller fees and such.
  • jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    Our lenders always required us to handle the registration for all financed or leased cars. We either did it ourselves or used one of several outside vendors who specialized in this.

We had to provide copies of the registration paperwork to the lenders in order to get funded, and we did a lot of out of state sales. So we never had a problem with rolling in the taxes, as the dealership paid them to the State involved and then included them in the amount financed.
  • jwiggins1984jwiggins1984 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I live in Alabama. I purchased/financed a car in georgia. When I went to my local DMV to get the cars registration/tag they informed me that the dealership charged a 7% sales tax when my state only charged 3%. She then informed me that the state will send me a refund for the difference. Now I had wanted in line forever, and it was very busy to I just said "oh ok" and left. Now, I don't know if that money is mine to keep or go back to the dealership or what. Also, I'm trying to figure up the difference. Is it the percentage on only the sale price of the car or after the finance charges are factored in or what? Totally confused any help is appreciated!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Total sales tax in Georgia is calculated based on the total selling price of the vehicle MINUS any trade-in allowance (if applicable). Finance charges don't factor into the tax calculation.

You should start by contacting the dealership where you purchased the vehicle. Ask to speak to someone in the business office and you just might find someone willing to help....but probably not! =(

The next step would be to contact the Georgia Dept of Revenue and explain your situation. Here is a link to their Sales & Use Website, including some forms that might help you- GA DOR

I am a resident of Georgia and I have purchased my last two vehicles in Tennessee. In both cases, the dealer didn't charge any Sales Tax and had me sign forms stating that I was an out-of-state resident. I also had to sign sworn statement that I would be immediately transporting the vehicles to Georgia and registering them there.

Before I could purchase a Georgia tag, I had to visit the nearest DOR office and pay the applicable Sales Tax rate for my county- (6%). The county tag office required proof that the tax was paid before they would register the vehicle.

Good luck!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • 99s7099s70 Member Posts: 1
    I believe the above reference is outdated. Section 6 Line 4 of ST-556 now refers to the buyers tax rate.