Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Duramax Fuel Mileage

Comments

• Hey clongwell,

At 55mph, you do conserve fuel. However, I think every person on this board laughed when they read your recommendation to drive that slow to save fuel. Conservation is one thing. Actually extending or increasing your MPG is even better!

I now get an extra 120 miles average per 13 gallon tank of fuel. Before it would cost me and additional $12 - $14 dollars to drive an extra 120 miles. Now I simply treat each new tank of fuel with 1oz of EnviroMax Plus!

You drive 55.....we'll still get their with more fuel in our tanks, a better running and performing vehicle, and a story to tell all the people who are not pleased when they pull their receipt off the gas pump after they get fuel!

The smoke in your mirrors is because you are not using EnviroMax Plus. The product reduces emmissions by as much as 80%. And, if you could drive faster than 55 - the smoke your vehicle is putting out would not be able to be seen in your mirror!

I have nearly 500 customers who order the product every month. Pretty strong testimony for a product that you say will not work.

SmartMPG.com
  • I recently purchased a 2001 silverado 2500HD 8.1 litre with an Allison. Pros cons, experiences?
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Since this discussion is specifically for Duramax fuel mileage questions, you probably want to ask over in Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra: Owber's hangout

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Is anybody making biodiesel? If so, what does it do to your mileage, and how easy is it??
  • I have a 2001 Duramax, that I purchased in Dec. When I stop at lights or whatever, the motor will surge a little. Doesn't do it when driving. I know they will surge during warm-up from a start up. Any one have a solution for this problem?
  • I have 78k miles on mine. consistently 16.5-18.5 mpg.
    Hmmm? maybe I should also check the psi on my tires.
  • I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD 4x4 w/Duramax. I would like to know what brand of leveling kit you used on your truck, and did it alter the smooth original ride?
    Sincerely,
    AuctionMP
  • I have a 2005 chevy 2500 4X4 and I had a torsion bar key installed, it raised the front appox. 2.5" and did not appear to effect to original ride. It does allow for 285 75r16 tires without rubbing. There are a number of manufacturers you can choose from on ebay, cost about $100 with shipping. I had a tire place do mine, parts, install and front end alignment for $200.
  • I have a 2005 2500hd crew cab 4X4 duramax with 33,000 miles, 285 tires, K&N air filter, and Predator Downloader. I drive a lot of miles and use the economy mode on my downloader. I consistantly get 14.5 - 15.0 mpg in town and just recently got 19.2 mpg on a trip (full tank). I drove 75 mph most of the way and 30% 55-65mph. I have seen a considerable increase in fuel economy in the last 10,000 miles or so.
  • I bought a 2006 Duramax in Oct 2005. 4X4 Reg Cab. I have 3000 miles on it. Best I can tell I am getting abt 17.5 MPG highway driving [1500 to 1600 RPM] and abt 14.0 MPG pulling a 4500# 5th wheel.
    My average for 3000 Miles is 14.7 MPG with abt 2/3's pulling the light trailer. Some say it will go up at 10000 miles. True or False???
    Best I can tell the milage hasnt changed since the first tank.
    Can anyone point me to a 2nd fuel filter kit??? Seems I recall one that will mount on the engine near the right battery. Any help appreciated.
  • Anybody have a really good place to buy a used/new duramx in or near eastern iowa?? Any help or suggestions would be great!
  • I am looking at purchasing a 03 or newer 2500HD with the duramax. The heaviest thing that i will be pulling would be a cattle trailer loaded down would be around 12000# and other misc. trailers would be pulled(live on a farm/ranch). Would the standard tranny be alright for this or should i look for the trucks that have the allison?
  • if your going to buy a diesel HD why not get the HD tranny?? One thing for sure, you would never have to worry about it, can that be said for the standard tranny?
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    The only auto tranny avail with the Dmax is the Alison.
    If you don't mind shifting the gears manually the six speed gearbox is considered very good, (both Ford and GM use the same manual tranny.)
    The real issue is that the NEWER (i believe post 2004?? anyone?), Dmax's with the Alison are rated with more HP and torque, the manual shifters get the detuned engine.
  • I'm very seriously considering a 3500 dually duramax with the intention of putting a truck camper on it. Can I expect a dually will get worse mileage than on a 2500 or 3500 with single rear wheels? Anyone have some data on the dually with the newer Duramax?
  • let me see if i get this straight you said the only transmission that comes with the duramax is the alison correct? I have been looking at some on ebay and have found some that say they are just a automatic 4 speed and then others have say they are alison automatic 5 speed. Are they both the same thing or different??
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    To the best of my knowledge, all Dmax's sold in the US in the light duty trucks had only 2 tranny choices, the Allison auto (5 speed til 05, or 6 speed in 06), or the 6 speed manual. GM's 4L80e 4 speed auto tranny has never been available on the Dmax. It was not designed for >500 ft.lbs of torque.
    The 4L80e is available as an auto tranny option for the 8.1L gasser, as well as the Alison and the 6 speed manual.
    If someone tells you different, I would ask for some documented proof.
    Also, I personally wouldn't trust the 4L80e behind a Dmax. (It's a great tranny, I have one in my 96 Suburban, but its not designed for that kind of power.)
  • I don't know if anybody comes in and reads these anymore or not, but I need some advice. I'm going to buy another truck for the farm, and I'm not sure which version of the duramax is the best. I have an 01 and love it, but should I get the LLY in stead??
  • just bought 06 duramax,any problems with warranty with GM ,when doing own oil & filter changes your self ?
  • Has anyone added a ship to their truck??? If so, has it helped the mileage, and how much??
  • I think we all know i meant to type chip...has anyone added a chip to their truck.
  • red454red454 Posts: 3
    How are the superchips? Are they worth it. Can you tell a difference in feul economy and power? Pleas help
  • I see many posts. Here is my experience. I have a 2006(non 350 hp motor) with a Afe high flow filter and a BullyDog
    programmer. After adjusting for 265-75 16 tire upgrade, I am getting a 3 TANK AVERAGE of 16.5MPG combined...and I jump on it once in awhile, too:). I have it on the lowest power programmer, and it runs hard(347HP and 740 Torque)
    I have had ZERO problems, and pulling my 16ft Pace trailer with 3 ATV's and all gear(about 2000lbs trailer and 200lbs vehicles/gear/fuel), it gets 14.5 MPG @ 55 MPH. I am here in So Cal, and that might help. I do use a cetane booster..seems to almost have zero smoke and runs smoother. FHI Franko
  • fairc67fairc67 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the part # on the Blistien 5100 shocks. I need it bad. My truck is beating me crazy since i put the torsion bar keys on it... Thanks
  • dalej1dalej1 Posts: 1
    would like input on duramax allison mpg, 2006 model-with rear axle gear ratios and what you are towing-hauling
  • 3105031050 Posts: 1
    I have 2004 extended cab I will be selling real soon. a few details-white, fully loaded, leather. K&N fuel&exhaust,86,000 highway miles,tubes,preditor chip,265 tires, no problems,everything runs and looks good,original tires approx.1/4" tread, don't know what its worth but expect to do something in the next couple of weeks
  • bigbillybigbilly Posts: 2
    I have the same thing w/ my 2001 DMax, I saw a post on a fuel pump issue but can find it again.......
  • spugspug Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 Silverado 2500HD. Maybe I am crazy but I have been hearing a howling noise from the drivetrain. The noise seems to vary depending on the RPM. Dealer has no idea. Any feedback is welcome.
  • goldenjgoldenj Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 2500HD Duramax, when it was purchased we were told to expect 18-20 mpg, but have never seen any thing close. Have taken it to the dealership they checked it and at first had a computer problem with it, after several weeks they got a fix for the problem, but did not fix the mileage problems. They told us after the engine got broke in it would get better all the time, but have not seen that happen either. The truck is a great one, the ride is wonderful, and the power is unbelievable. It now has 42000 on the engine, but the best I have seen is 17mpg and 8 mpg towing. I have considered getting a chip. A friend has one that he used (El Diablo) and was getting 23mpg on his 2004 truck. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!

Love the truck hate the mpg :cry: