Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• hsmolinhsmolin Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for your reply, biancar

There is certainly nothing wrong with a more luxurious highway cruiser like you are expecting the Volvo C70 to be. Choosing a car comes down to a matter of personal preference.
    A test drive is worth a thousand words and I am very anxious. I'm sure I won't be disappointed and will report back to everyone after my test drive.
    qbrozen:

I've never heard a favorable professional review of the Saab convertible.

If the SAAB convertible was perfect I wouldn't be getting a new car. Performance was not the reason to give up on Saab but turbo steer and cowl shake was certainly enough.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    If the SAAB convertible was perfect I wouldn't be getting a new car. Performance was not the reason to give up on Saab but turbo steer and cowl shake was certainly enough.

I guess it depends on what you want in the performance department. For me, bad torque steer and cowl shake means performance is greatly compromised. If all you are concerned about is holding onto the wheel tight and accelerating fast, then a Mustang would certainly fit the bill. I think where the Volvo will outshine your Saab is its quietness, smoothness, and rigidity WHILE performing.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• volvo_drivervolvo_driver Member Posts: 34
    I have had a deposit in on a C70 since early October '05 and at the time was told the car would arrive for March or April delivery. About two weeks ago, I was asked for my specific wants (exterior and interior color, packages and options). After placing my order I learned from the dealer that I can now expect the car in July. I have not only seen the car, but I had the opportunity to live with the car for about a week. I loved it. And while the date seems to continually slip, I patiently wait...

However, after reading this forum, I wonder if I should continue to be patient and pass on the '06 I am told to expect in July and wait for the '07 due in August (but will it really be August?). Will the model years be that different? Or will the car just an '06 off the line with an '07 prefix. Doesn't sound like the iPod connectivity issue will be resolved nor will Bluetooth be a fully integrated factory option (not that the dealer installed option is bad... just would have been nice for the designers to incorporate the controls into the sexy center control panel).

Guess I have still have plenty of time to ponder it all.
    volvo_driver

My dealer showed me his allocation sheet and expected delivery dates. My car was ordered by the dealer on March 4th has an expected delivery date of June 14th. The delivery date was dependant on the color ordered. The dealer told me that once the intial allocation was filled the 07's would be expected in September.

August delivery sounds pretty optomistic to me.

Waiting one or two months for an 07 will sure make a difference in your resale value. I wonder if they will discount the 06's if they will be arriving so close to the 07's? After all negotiating the price of a car is really just one big game usually but not always one by the dealer.

Good luck and btw, how did you get to drive one for a week?
    What were your driving impressions?
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    You are in the same boat as me. I cancelled my 06 order yesterday when my July delivery slipped to late July/early August. The dealer told me that the 07 will be available late sept/early october. I am hoping for the posibility of ipod connectivity, but I am willing to risk the 3 month delay (heck I will have waited 9 months anyway since i placed my deposit).
  • cdk2cdk2 Member Posts: 19
    hsmolin...I am surprised by your early delivery date. I ordered in mid-February and have now been told delivery will be July 27. See my prior rants...I mean posts.

What is even more surprising is this: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/03/01/212156.html

Volvo has only sold 74 C70s in January and February. I assume they had minimal sales in 2005, and I also assume most of Jan/Feb are the 2006 C70 (not prior model). Why will it take so freaking long to deliver the 74 (or so) 2006 C70s (including mine!!) that have been ordered in the US so far (give or take)? It is amazing that being a CONVERTIBLE that Volvo would not make better plans to have the model available in the early Spring (like now !!!...) in the US. It will really piss me off if I start seeing C70s on the lots before my custom order is delivered.

I seriously considered cancelling my order and waiting for 2007 model...but I really do not care about resale. Also, everyone who cares will know the 2006 C70 came out in summer 2006.
    cdk2....my local dealer claimed to have several allocated slots for a custom car. You could only get certain colors with each slot. I chose the earliest delivery of June 14th and the Magic Blue. The silver was available in late July and I didn't want to wait as my 2003 SAAB convertible was coming off a smart-buy on May 31.

Based on your rants...or posts, I will check with my dealer tomorrow to see if everything is on schedule. I was supposed to get a test drive by end of this month.

I hate driving cars that have saturated the market like Honda Accords or Toyota Camrys. The fact that my Volvo C70 will be one of only 74 in the US is really cool. Everyone will be turning their heads and wondering what kind of car it is! (only until they get close enough to read the label, "VOLVO")
    flheat - what does your dealer have to say about the '06 vs. '07 models? Did they indicate any differences between the model years? I'm also curious how well your dealer is keeping you informed or if you are having to contact them frequently for updates. As of today, I am still under the impression my Flint Grey Metallic C70 is to be delivered in July. I'm still not sure if I want to cancel/pass on my '06 in July for an identical '07 in September/October. Guess I'll need to do some research with my dealer to try and find out more.
    He did not have too much info, but said the ipod interface has not been ruled out. Other than that there were no differences.

He did tell me that the inside roof looks well finished and only has seams of the panels--I was kind of concerned that you may see the metal hinges.

I think Volvo should fire their project manager on the C70.
    hsmolin - i considered myself very lucky to have been offered the chance to drive the car for a week. as part of the deal, the group of us who were loaned cars (about 5 of us) were asked to provide our feedback. it was my understanding that the cars came from los angeles where they had been with another dealer/driving group. while asked not to speak of the specifics, i feel it's probably okay to say that the overall feedback was very positive. i enjoyed the car and it's driving capability/handling immensely and it lived up not only to the reviews i had read from professional drivers but also to my already high expectations. it the retractable top is quite impressive. the car turned a lot of heads while i had it, especially with previous model C70 drivers - many commented at stop lights and another unexpectedly followed me to my destination to take a closer look and find out how i got the car when he knew there were none yet available.
    if the figure the iPod interface out, I'm sure it will be available as a dealer installed/post factory option... at least i hope.
    thanks for your impressions volvo_driver.....it says a lot that you've been willing to wait so long for this car. could have made a baby in less time....lol :D
    Ok, I'm looking for opinions. My car lease (actually a smart buy) is up May 31 and the Volvo C70 has an ETA of June 14th. The Volvo dealer is giving me the buyout value of my old car so I save the sales tax (approx $1,600) on the new one. I cannot extend the lease or I would.

The dealer will not provide me with a loaner but will help me get a discount on a Hertz retail. Bid deal! Is it unreasonable to push for a loaner or demo car for those 2 weeks? Or maybe I should have the dealer pick up part of the rental car charges?

I was not able to get a discount on the C70
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I like the C-70, even though I wish it was RWD/AWD. This convertible is in a segment to itself. Seriously. Unfortunatly GM got last second cold feet and decided to cancel the Buick Velite Roadster, otherwise this car would be dead meat. :cry: Seriously. Yes the Volvo loyalist would buy one over the Buick, but most folks would of baught the RWD 400-450 horse Twin Turbo Buick Velite Roadster over the C-70. ;) I'm not trying to chap anyone's butt but seriously, which one would you choose ? The Velite was going to be priced in the low $40's since Buick knew the C-70 was the main target. Yes I'm very upset and :mad: (a understatement !!!) that my dream car didn't get built. I have a wife and 2 kids, but desire a 4-5 convertible. The C-70 is a beaut, but lacks the power I want to justify ever buying one. Now if they build a high performance version "R" things can change. However the current price is way too high, especially when you factor in what you get for the money. If I'm going to spend that kinda money, I'd perhaps buy a Shelby Stang Convertible when the price levels off and make the C-70 disappear in my rearview. I really don't care for them though. If the Velite does see production in the near future on the Sigma platform, with a little tuning I'd make both the Shelby Stang and the stock Velite of course would easily make C-70 vanish in my rearview. :P

Rocky
    I checked out the pics of the Buick Velite on the web. Wow, thats one hot car. Too bad it never got produced. If it does maybe I'll have to trade in the C70 if I ever get one ;) .
  • habuhabu Member Posts: 52
    Visited the dealer in Tacoma, WA that is handling my OSD order and learned they have 2 C70's in port and on the way. Should arrive by Fri or Mon. One is all black and should look like what I intend to order. One car is for demo only the other will be for sale. They also have a slot that will be filled in July with one car that can be ordered to spec. So with any luck I'll be driving the "rare" C70 in a week or so.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Yup, I remember checking that out last year. Looked great. I would have been in the market for a Velite, too, had it ever come to market.

Re your two-week lag problem - isn't there any way you can extend your lease by two weeks to a month?

I don't see that Volvo really has an obligation to do anything for you (you're not currently leasing a Volvo, right?) It's just unfortunate bad timing.

If it were me - I'd just rent the cheapest econobox I could, and take advantage of your dealer's offer to help out a little with the costs, and live it with it for two weeks. Once you get the new C70, do you really think you'll begrudge the extra two weeks' wait?

Of course if it stretches out to longer than that, you might have to make a different decision, but for anything less than a month's wait, seems to me a cheapo rental to fill the gap would be worth it.
    biancar... the Volvo dealer also sells Saab and Buicks. I leased the 2003 Saab from his dealership but at that time leases were known as smart buys. The smart buy program was setup because of a quirk in the law in a couple of states, one being New York, that allowed plaintiffs to sue the auto manufacturers of leased cars for damages. The smart buy was similar to a lease in all respects except the title passed to the customer. The dealer has agreed to accept my Saab as trade-in so I can save sales tax of approx $1,600. The dealer will have to buy the car from Saab for the buyout price on the contract.

The dealer claims that the trade in value of the Saab is about $3,000 less than the buyout of the smartbuy. He claims that if I keep the Saab until delivery of the Volvo he will be losing money on the residual value. I personally think the dealer is full of cough and that he found a way to save me the sales tax and return the car to Saab without taking any hit.

Anyway, cheapo rentals in New York for 2 weeks is $500 at minimum. I guess I'll be giving back some of the sales tax savings but if the car is delayed then I may be giving back the whole thing.

I appreciate your input...
    OK, just got Car & Travel's April edition. This is Automobile Club of New York's member magazine. First not so hot review I've seen. Their bottom line is that the new C70 is much improved and should be great fun - in summer and winter. But the disturbing part and I quote:

"Tipping the scales at more than 3,700 pounds, the C70 puts a strain on its 218-horsepower engine. It's adequate in most circumstances, but the car is no road burner. The five cylinder engine has the whining sound of a powerplant turbine starting up rather than the throaty growl of an internal combustion engine."

Hmmm... adequate and whining doesn't cut it for me in a $40,000+ car.

Can't wait for my test drive.....supposed to be April 6th.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    the interior roof has a headliner just like any other car.
    There is no way that the 07 will be available before Sept/Oct.

The 2007 version will have an interface for ipod or another type device.
    Volvo hasn't sold any of the new cars yet.
    What you are seeing is probably the demo cars being reported.
  • cambrocambro Member Posts: 18
    vmax,

how certain are you that the 2007 model will have a digital music player interface?

i've asked volvo of north america & they won't say as much, and neither will my local dealer.

my 2006 order won't arrive until august, so if i could change to a 2007 order & get this interface (which i desperately want), i'm willing to wait another couple of months.

if i can't change my order, is the technology such that volvo dealers could add such a feature to a 2006 model, or would that require a wholesale change in the audio system.

thanks for any help you can give - this is a huge sticking point for me as my whole music collection is pretty much digital now.
    I am 99% sure that the 07 will have an aux interface.
    What I am not sure about is if it will be available with the initial run of 07 cars.

We will probably not have the official stats for the 07 until May.

It is highly unlikely that such a radio will be able to be retrofitted to the 06 car.
    If the aux interface is such a big deal for you then wait for an 07.
  • tsk1tsk1 Member Posts: 31
    I too have a C70 scheduled for a September OSD slot. Please let me know what colors arrive and when they actually in the Seattle/Tacoma area. The two Portland area dealers that have confirmed the color of their demo units are both Black. I would like to see as many colors and options before I finalize everything.
    I'm hoping to hear tomorrow or Monday fro the dlr. However I will not be surprised if I don't. My OSD confirm letter from Volvo dated 1/27 stated "we will be in contact with you again some time in the 1st qtr of 2006". Since I did not receive a letter from them today that promise was unfulfilled as I'm sure others will be.
  • millenrmillenr Member Posts: 28
    has anyone actually seen the demo's that were supposed to be at the dealers in March? I was told that each dealer would get one silver C70 to use as a demo and not for sale. That these would be delivered to all dealers at about the same time - March. When I call the dealership where I have placed an order, he starts off the conversation with "No the C70 is not in yet, it is delayed; is there anything else I can help you with". Is anyone else having any luck or different news?
    millenr..... i have a C70 on order subject to an acceptable test drive. demo was supposed to be in yesterday. i called dealer yesterday and was told the delivery was delayed. he had no other details and he assumed demo would be in any day.

isn't no news good news? :confuse:
    Demo news:

The demos are in port and are having upgrades done.

As soon as all the demos have their upgrades then the cars will be released to the dealers.
    volvomax...thanks for the update. do you have more info about what type of updates are being made?
    mainly minor stuff. Supposedly the roof seals are being replaced with a version that isn't as susceptible to wind noise.
    I received a call from the Tacoma dlr who has my OSD deposit today and went down to drive a C70 they will have for the weekend only. The car was red with a light gray leather interior. Since my brochure lists only black and calcite cream as the interiors available with red I'm guessing it was calcite cream. Anyway it was a very light color that would take some effort to keep clean. The car has 7,100 miles on the odo and the scuff marks on the kick plates were quite numerous.
    I was shown the prices for the 5 incoming models this dlr will receive over the next 30 to 60 days. One is sold. All have a $5,000 markup. This would be a deal killer for me if I was not going OSD. I have been told the OSD price will not include the $5,000. I guess this should make me feel better if the OSD program does not include a discount. It won't.
    The light gray interior made the car feel large inside. The interior of the top is well finished. We drove in the rain so the top was up and I found plenty of headroom. Under the dlr canopy I sat in the back while the top was raised and lowered. Although the top never came near my head (I'm 5'11") it still was a strange experience. Ingress and egress from the rear is about the same as with any coupe. With the top stowed it's very easy since you can just stand up and step in or out.
    The controls needed some explanation but seem well arranged. The accelerator and brake pedals are smaller than on my IS300 and they are real close together. If I lifted my foot to move from accel to brake my foot ended up on the far left edge of the brake pedal. You can do better just rotating your right foot over. The dead pedal seemed a little closer than I like, but I could accept it. The footwell on the pax side was wider and more comfortable.
    I only used about 3/4 throttle but the power was adequate. The thrum from the turbo when engaged is a nice touch and the car was very quiet when it was up to speed and the turbo disengaged. I hit 65 on a four lane and the car was tight. No real wind noise or excess tire rumble. The steering whel is generously fat where you hold it, but the top quarter is thinner than the rest of the wheel. I failed to notice if this is so on the bottom also. The sightlines all around are better than in my Miata this may replace. Rear windows make lane changes no different than in any other coupe. The handhold on the door is a nice big handle that will make long drives comfortable as will the center armrest which for me was in the right spot with the right height. I had the seat pushed way down so the door sill was almost up to my shoulder. I felt very secure in the seat. The seat is firm and adjusts in all the right directions. The pax seat is the same which makes my wife happy. Both have 3 memory settings. The ride was comfortable without much roll or sway. This will be more a touring car than something I bring to the track, which is fine for the use I plan for it. The pax seat has about an acre of dashboard in front of it. I could not touch the front windscreen from the seat.
    If we go for the OSD some of the luggage will be in the back seat. The trunk is plenty deep enough with the top up and will hold a medium duffle with the top down. The top has many interconnects that will not allow operation for many reasons (foot not on brake, door ajar, luggage cover not in place, etc.) Our salesman warned that we will inevitably have a moment when the top will refuse to obey our commands and it will be our fault, but we may have to search to figure out why. Then he tried to lower the folded top back into the trunk (it lifts about 3" to allow one to reach in and pull out bags) and the top would not move. Proved his point. He failed to lower the trunk cover thingy.
    I could go on but this is too long as is. I will gladly answer questions anyone might have. Final impression is a lot will depend on the OSD pricing. I'll be looking for a used Audi A4 cab with the 6 to see how prices may compare.
    Looking forward to others' impressions.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Thanks for that post, very helpful.

If they do the $5,000 additional dealer markup here, that would be a deal-killer for me, too. I'm already comparing this with the Toyota Solara, the new VW Eos, or possibly a used Lexus, so an additional $5k would put it at more than I want to spend.

Sounds like the ride is good. Interesting about the brake and the accelerator pedals being close together. Which car was it that recently had that same problem, an Audi I think? People accelerated when they meant to brake and had all sorts of accidents.
    was the $5000 part of the MSRP or was it an add-on. when i ordered my C70, i agreed with the dealer to pay MSRP and wanted to know how your dealer considered this extra $5000.
    thank you for your post habu.....i'm still waiting for my test drive (originally scheduled for 4/6). volvomax and(not my dealer) mentioned the cars arrived but were delayed for minor adjustments.

the NY auto show starts on Friday and I'm sure I'll see it there.

i know the C70's measurements but i've never seen a picture of it next to a different vehicle.

just curious Habu, what was your first impression of the cars size, did the C70 look smaller in person than it appears in its publicity photos?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    that $5k is additional dealer markup (ADM). You won't find it at every dealer and most dealers will have a different number. Its whatever that particular dealership feels like overcharging on the car. Personally, I don't deal with any place that has ADM.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nancytknancytk Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to say that I have also test drove the Volvo C70 here in Seattle....the car is incredible! Great layout,
    speed and the sound system incredible....this is a purchase. Especially with the added safety features that the other car companies do not offer..
  • nancytknancytk Member Posts: 2
    Just as an FYI to the trunk issue....obviously the sales person did not know how to work the product. The button in the trunk will lift the roof so that you can get into the trunk...did it myself....not an issue at all.

I think that the top inter connects are for safety reasons...you don't want to close that roof on something in the trunk that is oversized and ruin the fluidity and function of the roof.....

I took to top off and down several times with no issue...
    The car was about the size I expected. It feels a little bigger than my IS300 but not much. The $5,000 was just another number among many on the sheet I was shown. I saw another $5,000 ADM at a Chrysler dlr yesterday on a Pacifica and a $3,000 ADM on a Town and Country. It is common here and can be ignored. I had a VW salesman tell me it was there for the people with bad credit. Makes sense, charge someone more who may barely qualify for just the MSRP.

I've cancelled my OSD order and have decided to look seriously at an A6 Avant. As mentioned here you would not want to wrinkle any part of the top mechanism on the C70. I imagine the repair bill would be substantial. Same for a rear end collision. Even a low speed fender bender could bend something and make the top inop. I'm hoping others find their drives more exciting. For some number north of $40,000 the car just did not make me want it enough.
    Happy hunting everybody.
  • agarretttxagarretttx Member Posts: 8
    Just wondering if anyone has received a C70 from a dealer yet? I was supposed to test drive one last week, but was told it was held up at the port. My dealer says the one i have a deposit on has left the port en route to Texas. Hopefully will be here soon. It is Metallic Silver with Quartz leather int with Dynaudio. Does anyone have theirs yet? If so, are you happy with the way it drives? I am normally a power junkie - last 2 cars I had a hemi and a SS Monte Carlo -
    The C70 demos were released from the port today.
    Figure 1 or 2 days and the cars should be at the retailers.

If you are after sheer speed the C70 isn't your car. The power is more than adequate but its not a pavement burner.
  • agarretttxagarretttx Member Posts: 8
    Thanks! Do you know what port they come into?
  • 4runnerv8sport4runnerv8sport Member Posts: 5
    Is it me or do these rollout delays seem a bit more unusual than other vehicle rollouts. It seems that Volvo hasn't even been remotely close to meeting deadlines on this car, even when they give such a broad range. Also, promised dates come and go without any advance notice of revised estimated dates. Dealers are clueless, and seem to blame delays for demos on "the port". What was the point of even having a 2006 model year?

While I certainly don't want an inadequate product rushed to market prematurely, the lack or reliable communication gives me pause. I think I would have had better luck importing a Peugeot 307cc retractable hardtop convertible from France instead of waiting for the C70, even with all the EPA hoops to jump through (damn the lack of Peugeot maintenance/service in the U.S.!) :)

For those of us who fell in love with the new C70 at first sight, it seems Volvo is doing its damnedest to make those of us wed to the car get cold feet! Meanwhile, Saturn (Saturn???) is hitting all cylinders with its marketing and rollout of the Sky. Go figure.
    Yes, I got tired of all the missed dates and let my 2006 slide (when he told me it moved from march to april to june to end of july.....), the dealer has me on reserve for a 2007 which he'll let me cancel up until he can order the 2007 (he is charging $1000 under MSRP). Meanwhile, last week I put a deposit down on the VW Eos and will wait and see which one comes up to the plate first. As I move forward I am falling out of Love with the C70 and more in love with the Eos. I am figuring I will have a better driving car with a better engine for $10,000 less. Volvo is missing the boat!
    Depends on what part of the country.
    West Coast uses Hueneme in LA.
    The EOS is also late, later that the C70 actually.

Drive the car before you dismiss it.
    For the record, Volvo has kept the dealers up to date on the C70 launch schedule.
    If the dealers can't be bothered to share that info w/ their employees and customers shame on them.
    Volvo learned their lesson w/ the 99 S80 launch. That car was rushed and it was a disaster. The XC90 was delayed as well. Short 03 year, but the car had a much better initial run.

As for the Peugeot, I've seen them. The C70 is a much nicer car.
    Plus you don't have to buy a fleet of them to crash for the DOT. :D
    My dealer says that my custom equipped car will be delivered on July 3. Today, I asked to add the "back-up assist" option to the car - this option did not exist when I ordered the first time in Dec 05. He says it is too late to put in with order now and that this can be installed at the dealer. This dealer has not been all that forthcoming on information or seems to be too knowledgeable; so, my question to you - is this a dealer installable option; is this good news that it is too late to add and this means that it is actually being built; and, is there some way to see the actual status of the car on the assmebly line, like the status of completion via the dealer internet access? OK, more than one question, but you seem to have the right information.
    The package info on the C70 came out in January.
    Backup radar was an option that could have been specified.

When we take a deposit for a C70(which is different from taking an order, an order means you sit down w/ the options book and spec out a car) we call the customer once an actual order can be placed and go over the options available.
    Orders can be changed, but not past the LDOC(Last Date of Change) date.
    Dealers get reports every day on the status of their ordered units, both pre and post assembly.
    Backup radar can be installed on most Volvo's, so it should be possible to dealer install it on the C70.
    Given the visibility of the new C70, I don't think the backup radar is really necessary. It sure would have been nice on the old car however.
This discussion has been closed.